Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tagamet HB200 to help w/drawals?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tagamet HB200 to help w/drawals?

I've come across this too many times not to ask. Is it true that if you take 2 Tagamet HB200 pills, it will help lenghten the time methadone stays in you so your not so sick in the a.m. when detoxing? It is suppose to slow the metabolism of the liver, keeping methadone in your system longer, not stronger.
Here's a link to some information about these pills and what they are primarily used for..Which is the treatment of a variety ofstomach problems with alot of focus on certain types of ulcers..

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/tagamet-hb.html
    Thanks for the link, but I already know what it is used for. The HB stands for heart burn, and they lower the pH in your stomach which is suppose to not metabolize the methadone. I haven't done it because I also read that, because the methadone isn't working it's way out of you as fast as it's suppose to, you have more than your usual dose in you.
   I was just wondering if I took this, would it help me feel better in the evening and a.m., which are the worst times for me. I'm detoxing off of 38mg, just dropped 2mg yesterday and can feel it. And no, it's not in my head. I actually told myself that I wasn't going to notice it because it's been a while since I've dropped any. My guess is I've worked too hard for the last few days then detoxed. It's been awful up here in the northeast. 94 degrees with 55-65% humidity. Sometimes more.
I imagine is miserable hot up there... I grew up in the Albany/Lake George region..Temps like whats been up there recently is way out of bounds for normal.

I'm not real familar with the mechanics of methadone, but if the Tagamet works by slowing down the processing characteristics of the kudney and liver functions,,,I guess common sense would lead one to believe that the methadone would be in your system longer giving you the effect of a time release type medicine like oxycontin..Thats just a guess on my part though..David