Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Taking Suboxone while pregnant

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Taking Suboxone while pregnant

I have been taking suboxone for 3 years now and I just found out I was pregnant with my second child. I am just really worried what Suboxone can do to my unborn child. I know the first trimester is the riskiest and I am extremely stressed out. I have began lowering my dose because i do not want my child to go though withdrawal when it is born.  On the other side of things I am worried I might have a miscarriage trying to get off of Suboxone. Does anyone have any suggestions. Has anyone been through this? Are there any doctors that can offer some much needed advice? Please help. I am scared & stressed out. Thanks.
You should really talk to your doctor, but they might be able to switch you to a drug called Subutex, which has the same active ingredients as Suboxone, but without the Naloxone, which can be harmful during pregnancy.  It is generally not suggested that people on Suboxone switch to any other medication (i.e., Methadone, etc), because it can cause withdrawals, which increases the chance of miscarriage.

The best thing would be to discuss this with you doctor as soon as possible, so he/she can give you an informed decision, based on your situation.

Good luck!
I have been taking Suboxone for 3yrs and I am pregnant w/ my 2ND child while on suboxone. I also know of another girl who has had 2 babies while taking suboxone. My 1st child I had while taking suboxone is ABSOLUTELY perfect. He will be 2 in Dec. He weighed 7lbs. and 3 oz @ birth. When I had him, the hospital knew I was on this medication and monitored him just to make sure he was ok and he never showed any signs of WDs. He is on the level he should be as far as talking and his mental development. He's actually very smart. My doc told me it was best NOT to stop the suboxone while you are pregnant. It was better to continue instead of stopping. Of course, this medicine hasn't been out but for several years so there hasn't been much research done on taking it while pregnant, but I am currently 34 wks w/ a lil girl and u/s show she is growing and she's measuring a little above average. 57th percentile! So, as far as my experience goes w/ this...its better than being on the other "stuff" and my babies so far are perfectly healthy! GOOD LUCK!!
My family has the real me!!! Suboxone does not change who I am in any way shape or form. It keeps me safe from relapse. I am taking suboxone b/c I was addicted to pain pills & heroin once upon a time. I also do not think it is safe to take sleeping aids and xanax while pregnant. Suboxone may be a "drug" but it is sure better than relapsing & is also monitored by a doctor. Sure, I would would love to stop taking it, but I dont know if that would be safe for me or my baby. What you are suggesting is def not for me. If I go into w/d I could lose my baby and then it would never "see the real me" as you say. Thanks for trying though.
I would just talk to your doctor about how much is safe to be taking or if you could switch to a different med. I understand that you can't just stop, my b/f has been clean thanks to suboxone for over a year now because of heroin and oxy addiction, if it wasn't for sub who knows where he would be right now. Just make sure you DO disscuss this with your doc because there are meds that are OK for a pregnant women to take to prevent w/d.
good luck and have a healthy pregnancy
Oh wow you're lucky. Suboxone changed me big time. I can't even begin a list of ways because I don't feel like wriring for hours. If you're happy on soboxone then by all means stay on it. You should switch to subutex (while pregnant) which is straight buprenorphine, it doesn't have the naloxone in it. Talk to the doctor, Once you have the baby you should really get serious about your recovery, life is short. Drug use is a symptom of the disease. Are you currently in a 12 step program or regularly seeing a therapist. Do you have a support group. Anyway good luck to you and your unborn child.
First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!!! Secondly, I have given birth to 2 babies while on suboxone.  With the first pregnancy, I was told to wean off of the Sub- bad idea. I ended up going back on pain pills (yes, while pregnant), but THANK GOD I soon found an awesome doctor who agreed to put me back on the Sub. for the remainder of the pregnancy.  I was able to get by on only 1 mg. of Sub. a day during that pregnancy.  I gave birth to a full-term, VERY healthy baby! He was not "addicted", had no withdrawals, and is extremely intelligent and advanced for his age.  I decided to stay on Suboxone after that pregnancy (who knows- maybe for the rest of my life after all I've been through with the pain pills).  I became pregnant again 2 yrs. later, but was on 6 mgs. of Suboxone at that time.  I was (and still am) with the same awesome doctor that monitored me through the 2nd half of my last pregnancy- so I knew he would keep me on the Sub. again (and he did actually switch me to Subutex while pregnant- although he said it really wasn't neccessary to change).  We talked about tapering down to a lower dose by delivery, but later decided against that decision.  So, I gave birth to my 2nd child on Sub.- once again, healthy, no withdrawals, and exceeding all of his milestones at now 9 months old.  Oh, and I also breastfed both of my children with no problems at all either (since Sub. is dissolved under the tongue, obviously receiving any of the medication orally wouldn't be effective anyway)- and with both of them I had to abrubtly stop nursing at a certain point for 2 different reasons (the only reason I added that bit of information is to let you know that they did not go into any withdrawals from nursing either).  

Ultimately, it's your choice to make, but I feel I made the right decision by staying on the Suboxone and it had no ill effects on my children at all.  Just make sure you are upfront and honest with all of your doctors, and make sure the hospital knows upon delivery as well (in case of a C-section- pain control would be an issue).  

Best wishes to you and GOOD LUCK!
I have been on suboxone for over 5 years now and am currently taking 8 mg a day. I weaned myself to 1mg a day 3 yrs ago when I got pregnantwith my son and he came out healthy and is still healthy. I just found out I am pregnant and feel like at this point I don't know if I am going to be able to wean myself again. Will it effect the epiderrul? I do relate to what she said above about wanting to be yourself again because i def am not myself on suboxone. I studder, cant think at times, find myself rambeling on with people, have trouble breathing and more. I think i would be fine as far as not wanting to get back on the pills if I could just get off this suboxone
Well, I am also pregnant and on suboxone. I was recently told suboxone can cause down syndrome (not by a doctor just by a friend). So I have been searching and searching and have yet to hear a story saying that any woman had a baby come out messed up in any way from it. I like suboxone. I was on pain pills for 3 years, and methadone for 2 years. While the methadone did its job the suboxone is a life saver. I have a good job, have a great man in my life, and will soon have a great baby in my life. I have no intentions to get off of it any time soon. I am 100% me, it may give me a little boost when I take it but I never feel "high", I have no side affects, I feel more like "me" than I have in 5 years. I know this comment doesn't really help you because you posted a year ago. But I just wanted to say a few things about suboxone. Oh yeah, my parents have been through this whole rollercoaster of drug addiction with me, they went on pain so I did, they went on methadone, so I did, they went on suboxone so I did and they too say it was the best thing they ever could have done and are so greatful that they helped me clean my life up and get it together before it was too late.
Apparently you have no idea about the disease of addiction. Yes, it was causes by bad choices we made in our lives(mistakes), but not one addict in this world one day woke up and I want to be an addict. I am on suboxone and also pregnant and a recovering opiot addict. My OBGYN and my Phsycotrist tell me everyday that it is better for me and the baby to stay on the suboxone, then risk me going through withdrawels, because if i'm going through withdrawels, it could hurt the unborn baby. It is also much safer to stay on the sub than to go back on and relapse while pregant. We are addicts, and even recovering addicts have a tendency to crave their drug of choice. Sub not only saved my life and made me the person I used to be before I became an addict, it has taken away any cravings I used to have. I am proud of all the women out there who decided to be on suboxone while pregnant, then to be out there abusing drugs! You have made the RIGHT DECISION!
I have struggled with addiction in the past to opiates.  I found out I was pregnant in 2008 with a due date in May of 2009.  I checked into a detox as I wasn't sure if I could stop doing the pills alone.  After detox I got hooked up with a doctor that gave me Subutex throughout my pregnancy and in May of 2009 I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby girl.  She is now almost a year old and was switched to Suboxone after I gave birth.  I have switched doctors since being on Suboxone as the first doctor only treats patients for a certain amount of time.  My  new doctor is great but is privately insured and is not allowed to prescribe me Subutex.  I have been trying to find a new doctor to take me as a patient but they either aren't taking new patients or won't prescribe a pregnant person Subutex.  I am tappering off of Suboxone now and am taking 12mg a day and want to be off everything by the time I give birth but I don't want to just be cut off and be sick.  I have called so many places and have come up with nothing.  Is there anything anyone could suggest so that I can have a healthy tappering off of the suboxone or subutex?  I have read that stopping the suboxone cold turkey could cause miscarraiges as well so I'm really stressed about this situation and don't know where to go from here . . . . . .
Hello everyone, I am a 31 yr old that have been addicted to Vic. for 16yrs, a very long time! I found out about suboxone and have been 100% clean for 12 moths. It's been awsome! I here everyone out there when they say they don't feel normal without the "durg" I have found my normalc with suboxone! I just found out yesterday that i'm pregnant and I'm so worried! I do have a little girl and quit the Vic's cool turkey with her with no problem, I guess it was easy for me because I knew I had a little one inside me! I guess what i'm wondering is I'm on 24mg daily and have cut myself down to 8 mg yesterday and today, I think I want to come off of them all together but am worried for the baby. Your guys input have been great, but I guess I want someone elses oppion that have been in my shoes! Thank You Everyone! And KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
I know this is a pretty old thread and most of the women who have posted here have already delivered their babies, and most likely all healthy.  
I just wanted to say to anyone on Suboxone/Methadone/Prescribed Pain Meds that it is always best to get in to see a doctor ASAP and talk to them about your prescriptions before tapering off or changing your meds. And NEVER stop taking the prescribed med cold turkey, NEVER. (Unless you're on such a low dose that the doctor says it's okay.)

I, personally am on prescription pain medication and have seen a specialist for my high risk pregnancy and he told me everything should be fine.  Many women have had healthy pregnancies and babies while taking prescribed medication.  There is hope and ways to help the baby after birth and taper off later in pregnancy.

I hope this helps anyone with this issue and if anyone would like to contact me via PM to talk, I am happy to help.
Hi everyone i am pregnant with my second baby and i am taking suboxon and i am scared i thank everyone who has shared there good story's because that just made me a little less nervous i know that it is possible to give birth to a healthy baby while on medication because during my first pregnancy i was taking pain medication and slowly got off and also i was and did through my whole pregnancy took xanax for my panic attacks and i have a 3yr old baby girl who is very smart outgoing hyper everything u can ask for in a baby! But now being pregnant with #2 i am scared because i dont know what suboxon does so i am constantly worrying and i am trying to get off i have been taking 4mg and i am going to cut that in half and then slowly get off! i do however still take my xanax and will continue not as much as i used to but whenever i need it! i just hope everything will be ok! i just needed to  vent and to let everyone know there is hope! and people who dont understand addiction need to not talk please! and also i have read a post or two where someone said that suboxon made u feel different in that case maybe u are on to high of a dose because suboxon does nothing but make me feel normal and makes the withdrawal not happen so i think u should get ur dose checked out my mother and my father are also on suboxon none of them feel anything either its not a drug that gets u high unless u have never taken anything before then u might get a little drowsy! thanks to everyone for writing there good stories and god bless everyone and there babys!
Stephanie :)
I just found out i am pregant with my 2nd child. I use to be hooked on heroin but i started the suboxone and it has changed my whole life for the better. I have been taking them for 3 yrs now. I wasnt sure if you could take them while pregos but i read everybodys comments and they do make alot of sense. I would rather take them then risk having a miscarrige. Thank you all for your stories. Im alot less worried now.. Thank you
I'm sorry I haven't checked this thread more often.  I honestly don't know much about addiction.  I do know a great deal about pain medication, though, and I am pregnant.  I just wanted to let all of you ladies know that you are very strong and being great mothers for finding out the information you need to help yourselves and your babies.  You are all very strong for fighting the addiction and you should be very proud of yourselves.
Thank you for sharing your stories and helping women who will come along after you with questions.  I hope everything is going well for you and that you will have happy and healthy babies.
hi... ive been taking suboxion for almost a year and im having a hard time stopping me and my boyfriend really want to have another babby but im on suboxion who knows i could even bee pregant what should i do please HELP
I'm sorry I didn't see this until now.  You should definetly talk to the doctor who prescribes the suboxone about becoming pregnant.  You may have to go off the suboxone.  I don't know much about it.  
The best thing to do is to take a pregnancy test to find out if you are pregnant now.  If you are, see an OB ASAP.  If you aren't, please talk to the doctor who prescribes the sub BEFORE you become pregnant so that you can cut down your dose or whatever you need to do.
I wish you the best of luck!
I am pregnant with my forth child. I have been on subs for almost 1 yr. I am not prescribed them I found out about them thru a friend. My husband is unaware and so is my doctor at this point I am scared about the health of my last little baby & I do not know what to do. Please lend some advice my way. Thanks
This is what I can tell you. I am 30 weeks along now and I have been on suboxone for almost three months maybe a little longer now. There are some risks just like any other drug that you may take but as for withdrawal for the baby my baby doctor prescribes this medication to alot of pregnant girls and he sayds the only ones that have dts is the girls who dont pass there drug screens other than that no withdrawal symptoms at all in the babies and as for you stopping taking it anything you feel the baby feels and withdrawal can cause you to lose the baby i was on drugs bad and they told me if i quit that i would most likely miscarry so please be careful. I take 16mg a day sometimes i take less depending on how i feel that day! I hope that i have helped you some at least!!
Im on day 4 of no suboxone 35weeks pregnant and its been hell! Breathing is harder 4 me because subs slow your breathing and withdrawaling speeds it up...i gave in today and took a 32nd of a tab like a baby spec and it helped w my breathing I do not plan to keep takin it all I just needed some relief...
Hi i am 3 months pregnant and i am taking suboxon i tried getting off but i couldent go threw with it an now everyone is telling me it will kill my baby so im asking will it seriosly hurt my unborn baby .i was on heroin an been on subs for 5 months now not having them gives me withdraws idk if i should stop or just get off them slowly
MY DAUGHTER wAS BORN PERFECT,I THOUGHT..NOW SHE HAS NERVE DAMAGE AND KOHLERS DISEASE FROM ME BEING SELFISH AND NOT GETTING OFF OF SUBOXONE,.I SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN PAIN WITHDRAWLING AND NOT BEEN SO SELFISH TO THINK OF MYSELF. NOW EVERY DOCTORS APPT AND EVERYTIME SHE WAKES UP IN AGONIZING PAIN I HAVE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF GUILT..SHE SHAKES SO BAD IN PAIN ALL BECAUSE OF ME....PLEASE TRY TO GET OFF..I took 4mg my whole pregnancy and my Dr said it was safe but has its risks...never thought I would be making my daughters life so painful..she gets episodes 4x a week and its not getting better..She was healthy for the first 2 years never complained,now goin on 3 she is showing these signs from Suboxone..God will always be there to help you through it! PRAY and please try to get off.best of luck
My name is Kristen and I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been using soboxone for over a year now and now that I am 7 weeks pregnant my doctors want to switch me to methadone which I HAVE NEVER TAKEN... is it good to switch while being pregnant????
Hello,  i can completly understand what your going through. I hurt my Back about 7 months ago and starting taking my Husbands oxy's (bad idea) I took them for about a month and tried to stop only to have severe withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms). I was so angry at my self. I could not belive that I had got hooked on a medication. Then my husband got off the oxy and on Suboxone so I started taking that to help with the oxy withdrawl (withdrawal). All the while I have not seen a Doctor and none of this was prescribed to me. I am 8 weeks prego now and trying to tapper down slowly. I am sooooo afraid of telling my doctor! I am only talking 1mg a day but still feel a tremendous amount of guilt. Even though I am only taking 1mg if I miss a day I do feel withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms). I think I am just going to try and continue to tapper down until I can stop completly which hopefully will be soon. I think I am just going to suck it up and tell my doc the truth which I would advise anyone to do. We are not perfect, only human.

I am very greatful for everyones comments! Reading all this has made me feel more at ease.  I beleive that adiction (addiction) is a disease and if you had cancer you would get treatment so whatever can treat your adiction (addiction) go for it and better your life! You only get one chance to live it so make it one worth living!  
if you could please email me at ***@**** that would be great, my name is samantha and i am taking suboxen, i am sooooo nervous and feel so horrible for doing so, i am now 15 weeks pregnant, the thing is i was addicted to pain killers as well as my husband, HE is the one with the prescription, i dont have a script, so i heard not to stop taking them like you said, but the thing is i dont have a script so therefore i am very scared to ask the doctors about it and let them know that i am taking them
Hello, suznrick4ever.  I am currently on Suboxone as well and have been on it for about a year now.  I found out I was pregnant and had called my doctor about the same concern you have and he switched me to something called subutex.  It's just a milder form of Suboxone.  It has the same effect and you won't feel any different on it.  The only difference between the Subutex and Suboxone is Subutex doesn't have one ingredient that Suboxone has called Naloxone.  He informed me that taking Suboxone during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects and is extremely dangerous to take during your pregnancy.  I don't know where exactly you live at or how your Suboxone is monitored but I suggest that you switch as soon as possible.  Good luck and let me know if you have any other Suboxone related issues.
I am 22 weeks pregnant and I've been taking Suboxone regularly for 7 months.  I've gone from 16 mg. a day down to between 2 and 4 mg a day.  I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like my doctor would switch me to Subutex because I am pregnant.  My OB doesn't seem to know much about buprenorphine treatment for addiction, so she just leaves it up to my Sub. doctor.  My first Sub. doctor wouldn't switch me to Subutex from Suboxone, so I switched doctors.  Now my new doctor is telling me Subutex is only a pain medication and it isn't used to treat addiction... so he is keeping me on Suboxone!  I am so so frustrated because all of the information out there regarding pregnant women and Suboxone says that I need to be on Subutex to avoid taking Naloxone.  How do I convince my doctor this would be better for me?  I don't feel like he is being logical and doing enough research!  Any advice would be great!  
I am 26 yrs. old and  now 25 wks pregnant with my first pregnancy. I have been taking suboxone now for almost two yrs.I usually take 8mgs a day. Though I have been for my whole pregnancy  taking 4mgs a day even though i'm suppose to be taking 8mg. My ob acts as though she doesn't know anything about this precription and honestly she shurgs her shoulders when I ask her any concerning questions about any complications that may happen at delivery. She also treats me as though i'm a junkie or something even though i have been clean from everything for almost two year. I mean I even hate alcohol. I only have a few months left till the baby comes. My suboxone doctor never said anything about Subutex as an option. I didn't even know there was a medicine called that till i read this website. She also said that I didn't need to stop taking my suboxone because it could cause problems. She told me that the benefits out weight the risks. Yet now that i'm getting closer i'm afraid of the baby having withdrawl (withdrawal) and having to stay in the hospital. I heard that the child pertective services could come to hospital and harass me. I'm scared that I have made the wrong choice and now it is to late. What should I do. I'm seriously beginning to stress out and that isn't good for us either. At all my ob appointments I've been told that everything is going good.  Does anyone have any help and advice they can give me.
so i just had my son a month ago, i was taking 1 mlg of suboxone, (not subutex) and im not proud to say this but i didnt have a script for it and was scared to tell my OB in fear they would take my child, so i didnt. i was terrified my whole pregnancy that my child would come into this world having withdrawls or have something wrong with him, i would come on this website everynight and read these comments over and over again til 6 in the morning making myself sick to my stomach with guilt. My advise to u women would be dont stress yourself out, everything is going to be ok, first, the stress isnt good for either of u, second, reading other peoples comments isnt going to help anything because everybodys situation is different, if someone says they had a bad experience doesnt mean u will. I was fully prepared to let the doctors know that i was taking suboxones if i noticed something was wrong with him, but i am proud to say he is perfect. I was worried that every little twitch or sneeze was withdrawl (withdrawal) but the the nurses assured me that all those things were perfectly normal, the baby was just getting use to being outside the womb. he was 9lbs 3oz and has been working on eating me out of house and home sense day one. he is now one month old, the better half of 14lbs and happy and healthy. i am also breastfeeding with no problems and i know theres no problems because sometimes i stop breastfeeding for a week or so and just give him formula with no signs of withdrawl (withdrawal). good luck ladies and please try to relax and enjoy your pragnancy!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! With every pregnancy there is risk, whether you're on suboxone or not!!! I commend all of you for at least being brave enough to share your stories, you had better believe there is some woman out there using and has no outlet. You are saving more lives than you know. For any of you who are desperate and scared ignore the ignorant comments and read the ones that give you hope, if anything there's more risk in being worried sick then taking a maintanance prescription! Hang in there everyone!!!
WONDERING HOW IT WENT SINCE U POSTED SEVERAL YEARS AGO.  I AM 2MOS PREG, TAKING 2-4 MG SUBOXONE DAILY - BEEN 7 YRS ON THIS.  I HATE THAT I'M DEPENDANT ON IT, I DO SEE EFFECTS BUT CAN'T SEEM TO KICK IT.   DEF DOES DULL THE BRAIN SOME ALTHOUGH NOT EVERYONE RECOGNIZES THIS IN THEMSELVES.  I HAVE GUILT ABOUT TAKING IT SINCE I TRULY BELIEVE IN GOD AND DON'T FEEL I AM BEING THE PERSON I WAS DESIGNED TO BE.  :(  MY SOUL HURTS TO SETTLE ON THIS I THINK...BUT - HERE I AM.  HOPE IT WILL BE ALRIGHT AND HOPE I'LL GET PAST IT SOMEDAY SOMEHOW!  :)
I just wanted to let people know that are worried about being on suboxone while being pregnant that I just had a very healthy baby while taking 4 mg. She had a 10 point rating when born, and had absolutely no complications. I had been taking 8 mg for the first 5 months then tapered to 4 mg at the end because I didn't want the baby to go through horrible withdrawals. The doctors made me stay in the hospital 2 extra days to watch for withdrawals but nothing ever showed to be worried about. She didn't have the sneezes or showed any kind of anxious activity, and she slept very well. I would say if your taking suboxone and get pregnant to just keep taking it. It kept me happy the whole pregnancy and even now for postpartum I havn't felt depressed at all. It also helps to not feel anxious and nervous around my newborn baby when I havn't slept at all :)
iam pregnant to and i take suboxone to and have been on them for 1 year now and havent told my doctor yet cause im afraid they will try to take me off of them and i dont want to get back on the pills cause iam doing so much better and i love it i guess i just want to know if u got in trouble for not telling the doctor cause i dont want to lose my baby and i dont want my baby to have w/d cause i take a half a day and i dont know if he will w/d from taking a half please help
I just want to say i am glad you all realize u have an addiction, but my niece camr into this world withdrawling and it breaks my heart everyday watching her in pain. Yes her mother was on suboxen. But come on girls i understand you have a problems but these babies did not ask to be concieved with drugs going thru there tiny little bodies. Let me tell you when your chilf goes through it your gonna think why didnt i stop. What sad is that you probally would stop if you found out your child was withdrawling. So girls do it now!!! Ween yourself off it, and let some if these babies have healthy lives. They didnt want to be addicted and i know neither did you but give them a chance for them and you!!!!
i hate ll those comments women have made aboutthe women they say is being "selfish" they dont know  thing about her or what she is going through my boyfriend takes vicodin he gets 180 a month and has taken them for years. i have been on some form of an opiate for about 6 almost seven years have had two children while on vicodin, my oldest daughter was born 5 weeksarly 110 percent healthy. I had an brupted placenta with her and bed rest for 7 months and loads of pain my o.b perscribed it the whole time and that begun my addiction now i am pregnant again and my boyfriend still takes his meds but constantly talks down on me he does not undertand the risk quitting cold turkey could cause. drug addiction is a self centered disease but that doesot mean it your fault or that u dont love your baby itmeans you are trapped in a hell. maybe you got yourself trapped but it is IMPOSIBLE to get yourself ot without some form of help or suport. All i know is it sounds like these women love theyre babies or they wouldnt b here looking for answers so y dont u  try to be a better person yourself and put yourself n her shoes.
I am 16 weeks pregnant and on subs 8 mg. My dr wants me to stay on them and I'm so scared my baby will have wds.. My nephew was born on methadone and is very sick in the hospital. I was taking oxys 30 mg and wanted to get off them so I did. I was very proud of my self. Then I went to the dr 2 weeks later and they told
Me I was pregnant. The dr's said I couldn't have kids and they were very wrong. I had cervical cancer and had sugrey 2 months before. I'm better now but my cervix is week because they cut alot of the cancer out. So my husband and I were so happy to find out we r having a baby. I want to stop taking subs cold turkey but I'm scared i will loose the baby. Im in my second trimester and think the baby is healthy and strong enough to do it. I would love for anyone to help me decide. I don't want my baby to end up like both of my nephews who I am caring for because there mother is in prison. I already have 3 teen boys. So after my baby is born I will be taking care of 6 kids. I'm not worried about getting back on oxys I hate them and my family means more to me then that. I just want off subs
hey i can relate to your story. i dont get a scipt for suboxone but i have taken it my whole pregnancy. im 22 weeks and i havent told my doc. im going to though becuz i dont wont my baby to go threw withdrawls or taken away from me. im quitting suboxone and im so nervous i wont be able to stand the withdrawls but ive weened myseld down to half a quarter and im not taking anymore. i know what kind of stress your under im in the same boat as you. good luck!
First off congratulations on being sober. And pregnant.    But I don't know how safe being taken off suboxen while already pregnant.   And there really are not a ton of studies o. Pregnant women.   But is it worth the risk of relapse when being taped off. You are going to have to do a pro con list.   But I have seen many babies born with mothers taking many drugs and suboxen what the least affects of any with drawls. I hope this helps and congrats on both again.   Keep it going one day at a time.
im just found out i was pregnant tonight...i kicked a couple habits n have beeen clean for everything...i was also on methadone but but off for a month starting taking suboxen....will the baby be safe? i only take 4mg suboxen
Xanax and Valium are BAD during the first trimester and make the risks of neural tube defects like Spina Bifida higher.

Do not take these meds. I'm not familiar with Suboxone but it seems like other ladies are and some of them are giving good advice. Good luck and CONGRATS mama!
thats right u dont wanna come off and risk relapse im on suboxone myself however i am a male its still the same i had a situation where someone told me to get off suboxone for my daugter and i said (well how much sence does that make if i relapse in the process how good will that be for my daugter) and idk who the person that told u to taper is but if u know anything about suboxone is that it dont matter if u take 32mg a day or 2mg a day the withdrawls r the same. well in my case anyway. im on this forum looking for info for my fiance shes pregnant on methadone but is having big problems at her clinic and is looking for an alternative to the meth its really hard cuz if she withdrawls she can lose the baby. we already have one child who was born on methadone and shes better than perfect but the expieriene was no fun at birth very mild withdrawls but the hospital put my daugter on morphine. the only thing ive heard so far is to take the subutex. let me know how it goes for u plz so i can help my fiance make a decision
i decided not to quit becuz the withdrawls were terrible. your right it doesnt matter how much you take the withdrawls are the same.  so i decided to stay on sub becuz i dont want to loose my baby. your fiance needs to get on subutex it will be so much better for her and the baby. methadone withdrawl (withdrawal) is very hard on babies and ive read everywhere that suboxone and subutex there are little to no withdrawls in newborns. good luck to both of you and your baby!!!
its no different then going to the methadone clinic they have preg, doses. Saboxone is less harmful then methadone. Theres always a risk of something when ur preg, id talk to the doc and get his opinion.
I am 16wk preggo w/my 3rd child i have expierienced some of the question some of u ladies r wondering/worryin bout!!!!!! 16 mo ago i had ababy boy pef normally baby boy /no defects etc!!!!!!BUT I WERE ON SUBUTEX N I WAS SUPPOSE TO TAKE 1 1/2 8MG PILLS DAILY!!!! but instead i brought my self down to 1/2 sometimes a whole daily n to say we were n hospital 12 days .12th day he got to come home!! from what i have seen/heard other mothers sayin theirs dod not wd???? it WAS not a very expirenced time when  normally 3-4th day u both come home!! mine was almost 2wks n yes i think they need more reserch on this 4 us ladies WHOM r concerned bout there wee ones /which may i say not all cares saddd but tooo true!! but i think that subutex is a bit stronger than suboxone why??? idk taken both for diff periods n now doc imma seen is still got me on suboxone films!!!!i sooso worried that my 1st trimester was this med instead of subutex could this b worse???or b better but i'm being told is is not safe for the babys sake n my doc says is o.k?????? any suggestions
It hasn't been proven to cause Downs syndrome but can cause delays in development of the babies brain. Suboxone hasn't been favored in pregnancy for many reasons. The baby may also experience heavy withdrawal symptoms after birth. I would def try to decrease slowly until your not taking it anymore. Addiction is addiction and in my opinion you shouldn't replace an addiction with a new addiction. Kick the suboxone and stay strong...you can do it. Congrats and good luck.
I was on subutex throughout my pregnancy on the advice and supervision of my doctor.  I was nervous about delivery and the possibility of withdrawals. From what I had read online most babies did not have withdrawals or had very short length withdrawals.

A day after my baby was born he started going into withdrawals and had to be taken in the NICU. It was the worst point in my life having to leave the hospital without my baby. He was in hospital for three weeks and I suffered great pain knowing he was in pain and I couldn't bring him home.

I just want to put this out there for others so they will know that this is a possibility and to be prepared for it. It is heartbreaking and I was not prepared. I probably should have been on antidepressants because I almost lost my mind dealing with the depression and anxiety of not having my lil one home with me!!

On a side note dr.s would not give me real pain meds, and after a c section that is just inhumane I don't care what someone has done. The dr.s also treated me like a bad person.  My pregnancy wasn't planned and I did the best I could. My doctor was the one who advised me top stay on the meds.
wow this helped me soooo much. i have been harboring feelings of sadness and guilt... i too am an addict and have been taking suboxone while being pregnant. i was taking a 3rd of an 8mg strip at first and at 13 weeks i am taking a little less than a 4th of a 8mg strip. i was told by a doctor at a free clinic to wean myself down cause the stress of withdrawl (withdrawal) wasnt good for the baby. i also was a heavy smoker and cut down to 5-7 ciggs a day. all in which i thought was a good start  threw the first trimester. so one day i went to the bathroom and noticed some mucus discharge, thought it was weird but carried on with my day. a little later that afternoon i started feeling mild cramping in my stomach and mild pain in my lower back... a little worried i called my mom and she said to go to the ER just to make sure all was well. i had an ultra sound and they discovered there was no heart beat...i was asked if i was a smoker or on any drugs. i responded with a yes to the cigs and no to the drugs... i was worried that the ER doctor would judge me for being on the suboxone.... i forgot to mention earlier that i am pregnant by an X boyfriend that i see casually and was trying to work things out with. completely unplanned. but not unrealistic to keep. i love him. he had a little bit of a hard time getting used to the fact that we were pregnant and going to have a baby. there were a lot of emotional break downs and the blame game began. there was  yelling and stress. i kept finding myself questioning if i was making the right decision to keep the baby.... after seeing the baby on the ultra sound i believe it helped him realize that this was real and he soon changed his toon. there was a noticeable difference in the way he was treating me and in his daily habits. i felt happy and now seemingly so did he. when we went to the ER and they told us there was no heart beat we both lost it. he held my hand and hugged me as we both cried. i told him i felt like it was my fault i felt guilty for the suboxone and cigs. his assurance made me feel a little better. i felt lost and shocked as we returned home from the ER with a dead fetus still inside me. i went to bed. i moped around the next few days ... my x boyfriend started going back to his old ways 3 days later, u know bar hoping and staying out till 4 am. coming home blk out drunk and on xanax. he came home tonight and completely blew up on me. saying how for the last three months all i did was mess his head up. and how he finally gets used to the fact he was having a baby and now its gone. how all he asked me to do was quit taking the suboxone but couldnt... how disgusting and sick i am. and how selfish i was for killing his baby. he got a little phsyical and spit in my face several times. his last word to me as he went to his room to pass out at 5 am were get the F out of his house and stay the f out of his life. i laid down on the couch and pulled out the lap top looked up suboxone and pregnancy. i stumbled on to this and i can honestly say it has helped ease my heart. i have been reading and crying for over an hour. its not my fault. what happened to me happens to 1 out of every 5 women. i am glad i stayed on my weaning plan. it was the best plan for the baby and i. what wasnt such a good idea was staying in an abusive relationship and subjecting myself to all that stress. i put my unborn baby and i at risk and now i have to deal with it. i was going to name the baby after my little brother that drown in 2008. Christian.
Here's the deal, suboxone is souly meant for people serious about recovery. If u enter a rehab that provides suboxone you receive it for no more than 3 days! This is not a medication to replace your previous drug of choice! There should be no reason to be on suboxone over 30 days and if you are or you try to ween off you relapse, your simply not ready and you have no business being on subs. Recovery is a process and suboxone one very small step in it. You are obviously hoping people will tell u its perfectly safe for ur child to continue taking subs in the same aspect you've abused drugs, it ISNT! For 1 u should have been more careful considering your in no position to be pregnant right now, with that said and obviously to late to change it should wake u up. Enough to do what's right and FIND the strength to get off the subs in the next 30 days. U seem so concerned if. u withdraw you'll loose ur child, the one thing suboxone is KNOWN for is severe breathing problems that can DEFINATELY effect your. Child at birth and for the rest of its life. I'm no saint, in fact iv been there, but when I made the decision to go kn suns it was to get my life back, not continue.. legally.  I'm sorry if this us harsh, but its nothing u don't already know. Sorry truth hurts.
Everyone who acts like they know what they are talking about is so not true. Some people say taper and come off others say not to come off. Are you all doctors??? Only a doctor can tell you to come off or stay on. Every person is different and some can handle coming off and some cannot. As far as the baby w/d some babies feel it and some dont. I was on suboxone and did not come off of it during pregnancy and my baby girl is just fine. She did not show not one sign of withdrawal. Anyways what I am trying to say is no one can tell you what to do about getting off or staying on suboxone except your doctor because everyones body is soooo different
i have been taking suboxone for about a year now.  i tried to quit it cold turkey twice and failed.  my husband and i have been trying to get pregnant for over a year.  i dont need 8mg a day, just a quarter.  does taking subs hurt my chances of getting preg?  

as for those who are being self rightous expecting everyone to be just like them on subs, this thread is for questions and comments about a situation they are in.  no one needs talked down to about their situation when they are clearly going thru enough as it is.    
I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant with my second child...I just recently started taking suboxone due to my addiction..I was supposed to go on it awhile back but thought that I could quit by myself but then i realized I couldn't so I went and got help and am taking 4 mg a day...I'm actually quite scared right now..I live in bay city Michigan and I have been hearing from a couple of friends that since they were on suboxone while pregnant and the doctors and hospital knew that they had cps(child protective services) called on them for being on suboxone while pregnant..I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that lives here or even has had the same thing happen to them? I've been thinking about just getting off of suboxone completely before my child is born just to prevent any contact with cps...Can anyone help me out and give me some suggestions on what to do? My first son(now a year and 4 months) is completely healthy he weighed 6 lbs 15 oz with him i did not find out i was pregnant till I was almost 5 months and i was addicted to Vicodin and was taking quite a lot everyday and then switched to suboxone a little while after finding out...He had a few problems like constipated,I literally had to help him poop he was throwing up(zantac took that away though) other then in the begging he is growing and developing right on track..I'm just scared and just need a little bit of security!
I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first child and I live in Michigan in Detroit...I was completely honest with my OBGYN and was informed that regardless of the fact that my baby is completely healthy they will contact CPS no matter what...and mind you a lot of women post things and Do Not tell the whole story only what they want to say I have done everything by the book and yes they still contact social services which is wrong and will deter women from being honest...which is wrong.
Hey Everyone--> I'm in need of some help/advice. I am 24 years old and pregnant with my 2nd child. I have fought addiction for over 5 years and have been clean for 2 1/2 years. I am on suboxone and had started my "wein down" back in december because I was ready to be off of it. I am down to 4mg and found out I was pregnant. My OBGYN originally told me she wnted me to stop cutting down because withdrawal could cause miscarriage and to stay where I was at on my suboxone and to stay on it through my pregnancy, this thought scared me because I was under the impression i needed to start subutex instead of suboxone and that either one could cause the baby to have withdrawal once born. However, my OBGYN is not the one who perscribes this medication and indicated I needed to talk to my Sub doctor. I just had a Suboxen appointment today and told them I was pregnant- my doctor told me that because I'm on a low mg that he was going to detox me off completely in 2 weeks. He admited that there was a small chance it could cause miscarriage but that "1 in 4 pregnancies end that way anyway" which was concerning. I was told because i'm so low i'll have minimal syptoms (symptoms). What should I do- because he said if I chose to stay on it I would have to go to a High-risk pregnancy clinic that perscribes subutex. I have worked to hard to be clean and have come too far to be considered "that girl" at a high-risk clinic worrying that my baby is going to be born with withdrawal symptoms but I also dont want my detox to cause a miscarriage-- HELP!!
Thank you for this post.. I am 38 weeks and taking suboxone everyday.. i have not cut back but am worried to death about him having wd's.  And I've been doing what you suggestion not doing... worry... all i do is read and read about everyone else.. and get all worked up and can't sleep.  My husband and friends all say to stay off the internet but I can't help myself.  After reading yoru post, I do feel better and am now going to relax and get ready for my son.
I was wondering if you stayed on the suboxone?  did you have your baby/  Iam 38 weeks and have been on suboxne since I found out... now i am worried
Hi,....My name is Kristen and I am so happy I found this page. I am 13 weeks pregnant and found out at 4 weeks I was pregnant. They switched me from suboxone to subutex right away. Naloxene is not good for the baby. My doctor said that the there is always a chance the babies could go through withdrawals. But the withdrawals are much less then a baby born to a mother taking methadone.

I of course like everyone else am terrified of judgment by the nurses, but ultimately, I don't care, as long as the baby is comfortable and goes through no discomfort.

I have 2 other children and became addicted to pain pills after I gave birth to my first daughter, which pills became a addiction after I was on pain pills for 9 weeks due to back surgery. I was able to quit easily before becoming pregnant with my 2cd daughter

I also pray that the women continue to post on here whether there babies had withdrawals or not after being born and how many milligrams they were on at birth. My doctor said tapering is NOT an option. Sometimes I wonder if thats because of liability purposes.

Anyways, good luck to all these women on this post. Lots of prayers to God ladies that He will care for these newborns all the way through.

Kristen
My daughter (23) was placed on suboxone by a pain management specialist the the clinic where she was being seen for her first pregnancy.  Her baby was born with a very rare (1 in 15-20 thousand) liver disease called billiary atresia.  He was 6 lbs 3 oz and the most adorable angelic baby I've ever seen throughout his 10 months of life.  We suffered so very much watching him suffer - 18 doses of meds a day before a liver transplant in Jan 2011.  The liver transplant was successful but he contracted a deadly virus in the hospital and was on a breathing machine for two full months fully sedated and they had him paralyzed on drugs.  He died in my arms in March 2011.  I've never been through anything so heartbreaking and will never be able to clear my brain of all I saw and all he went through.  They do not know what causes billiary atresia but she would never take suboxone while pregnant again.  I pray that did not cause his pain and suffering but I cannot help but worry in the back of my mind that it might have.  I also pray that no one will ever, ever have to go through what my family went through and that all babies will be safe and healthy.
Did your epidural work during both deliveries? I am scared to DEATH....I am 24 weeks pregnant now, and was looking into a detox program (a 5 day program, maybe 3) BUT I am having a VERY HARD time finding someone to take me. The ones that DO take pregnant women say I am too far along. I have a friend who was on some HEAVY drugs, not opiates, but she was taken to a local ER and the detoxed her at 7 months, I am considering going tomorrow...but am SO AFRAID they won't take me bc I want to detox off subs, not what she was on...your story REALLY helped a lot, but I still want off. I have been OFF pain pills for a LONG while now and have no worries of relapse, so I am taking Sub just bc I can not get myself off of them. Also, I plan to opt out of getting the Rx of pain pills after delivery...all I want is the epidural. ANY THOUGHT, ADVICE, AND EXPERIENCE would be greatly appreciated!!!
I agree, I hope women continue to post the results from AFTER delivery, I am 24 weeks prego now & on Suboxone...I am going to ask my doc to put me on Subutex when I go back. BUT....My very VERY ULTIMATE goal is to find a 3-5 day detox program and be off completely. Anyways....GOOD LUCK!!! Maybe you will get a BOY this time ;)))

Shannon
Hi everyone. I am currently 15 wks and have been on suboxone for just under 3yrs as a result of a pretty huge addiction to pills. @ 5wks my dr changed me to subtex as I had already been decreasing my dosage with the help of my dr.  My Husband, also a "former" addict is absolutely out of control with me and has been the entire pregnancy.  I am down to about 2mg/day from 16 a few months ago but I think I am struggling more with the lack of support from my husband and parents then the actual withdrawl (withdrawal) or decrease of meds.  He, my husband happens to just be one of those people that can quit cold turkey and be "ok" (theoreticlly of course) wether it was opiats or crack he has been able to just stop...period.  I on the other hand am not so lucky.  I am in no way afraid of relaps, just the pain.  I have terrible back pain and work on my feet 10 hours aday.  I know I am ramblling and I appologize, I just need someone to talk to or give me some support since I am not getting it at home.  I was told a few weeks ago that I at my age, 31 have a slight risk of a baby being born with down syndrome and am scheduled for a amnio on the 12th.  He looks at me everyday as if it is MY FAULT.  We have been together for 14yrs and lost twins when we were 18.  I did not even know I was pregnant and he would have probably left me then had we known before the miscarrage (miscarriage) but because we lost the babies, he has never really forgiven me.  I am so desperate to get off this last little doesage just to shut him up but am petrified that I will feel terrible, resulting in the baby feeling terrible.  He has barely talked to me the last 3 weeks b/c I did not quit cold turkey when the dr lowered my dosage to 2mg last month.  I just cant live like this.  Any advise is so very welcome and appreciated.  Again sorry for going on and on....I am just very very alone in the battle.  At least in my household. Thanks to you all, just reading your comments has been a relief.
Hey
I'm married and have two kids with my husband. After my second child I got addicted to tabs and took up to 12 a day for 2 years. I found out I was pregnant about a month ago and quit cold turkey for a few days til my appointment with the Sub doctor. He put me on Subutex because it causes little to no withdraws for the baby. I would love to just quit everything cold turkey but the last two times I quit the tabs and was pregnant I had miscarriages early on because of stress. SO, It is def better to have Subs to help you get through the day. I'm working a full time job now and taking about 8 mg a day. Although I get sleepy at some points during the day, that is a normal side effect of being pregnant. I really believe I will do fine with this pregnancy AND I haven't cared to have a tab since I started takings Subs! :) Also my husband is gone most of the time working and when he's here he's sleeping so I don't have much of a support system either. Anyways! I feel extremely better taking my Subs. I've never been able to work a full time job but now I am. Plus taking care of my two children and on my days off I'm always taking them swimming, to Chuck E. Cheese, Park, etc. You don't need an unsupportive spouse. Find things to do with your time. Keep yourself occupied with things you love to do. When you are happier the moods of people tend to change around you. Hope everything works out for you and congrats on your pregnancy. Almost forgot! My husband also takes pain meds, nerve meds, and smokes weed but he is the type that says he's fine without them too even though he tends to be mean as heck some days.
Of course your dr is the best person to ask, but I wanted to share my experience... I was on 8mg/day Suboxone for about a year when I found out I was pregnant. I went to my PCP figuring he would have me wean off asap. Instead, he told me that he recently had 4 pts stay on subox through the pregnancy to avoid othr pain meds after birth, & said, "the babies turned out perfectly healthy". I felt better, especially because I was terrified of having a miscarriage and thought that the stress of quitting would be harmful to baby. After a few months I got up the courage to tell my OBGYN that I was on Subox (had been worried about being judged!)& she warned me of the awful WD it can put baby thru. I decided to wean off asap. I was down to 0.5mg when I went into early labor, 1mo before due. At the hospital I hesitantly told my nurse about the suboxone; she advised me that because of this my baby would immediately go to/spend his stay in the special care unit. Even tho he was born Perfectly Healthy they would not let me have him in my room. I felt as if everyone was judging me and felt like a horrible mother. Because of my c-section I stayed 4days, and he was there for 5... that one day of having to leave him just about killed me. But Even after we went home, the judging continued... child protective services were at out home a week after he was born, because apparently it is "child abuse" to take this while pregnant. I was told that he didn't even have enough in his system to register in the drug tests when he was born, but because I was honest and told the hospital staff about it, I was listed as a child abuser; furthermore, my boyfriend was included in this because according to them, he shouldve "made me quit for the health of our child". Luckily the CPS worker that was assigned to me was pretty understanding. I have had to do counseling, drug tests, etc, but will not go down permanently as an abuse offender (which wouldve made it so I couldn't participate in school activities, work around kids, etc). As much as Suboxone had helped me with my narcotic addiction, I wish so much that I had quit as soon as I got pregnant and saved myself all of the heartache and embarrassment I went thru. My birthing experience was ruined by the stress of it all. But as a sidenote - baby is now 3mos old and healthy as ever, and for the 1st time in god-knows-how-long, I am 100% drug free!!
Iv been taking suboxone for about 1yr,i take bout .5mlg,a day&just found out im pregnant,im scared cuz I dnt get my suboxone from a docter,i buy it off da street,im scared to tell my docter,cuz its iligle&i dnt wana just stop,cuz my baby cld die,does any one know if they test for suboxone wen the babies born?
There was an earlier post when a young lady said that no matterr whether or not your child is healthy or not when it is born, if you admit to being on subs that the doctor/hospital will report to CPS not matter what.  I think that this will deter many women from being honest and being able to trust their doctors. Which is truley the most important thing while pregnant.
You are absolutely correct, im proud of anyone that chooses to take suboxone instead of opiods.Nobody should judge anyone whos trying to do whats best for their unborn baby.Just weigh every possibility.GOOD LUCK!
I'm in the same exact situation as you. I really just want to get off of it all together because I spend so much money buying them off the street. I wonder if I taper myself off slowly if it will be safe enough to not harm the baby.
hey bunny, I snet you a PM. Please make a new post an tell us all about your situation, this is an old post.
there are many here to help you beat this. You can do it,
hugs
Lily
I am so scared.. I am 6 wks pregnant with 1st child and taking about 6mgs of suboxone a day.. i am a heavy heroin addict (shootin it for yrs) and subos have saved my life. BUT I am so worried bout baby having withdrawal from subutex or subos.. pls any help!
I must say that I have read the different threads of this forum, and without Suboxone being the main source of the topic, each person had their own unique circumstances, just like ANY drug free pregnancy. To all of those who judge, you are not educated about addiction. As previous people have stated, a person does not wake up one day and say, "Hey, I wan't to be addicted to a substance that will ruin my y life and have people judge me like I am some POS." Addiction is an predisposed, genetic condition that by chance can become "triggered" one day, and the opiates actually cause the receptors in your brain to re-wire the way your brain functions, therefore becoming an involuntary condition, where it becomes a physical condition, (like diabetes, heart disease, etc.) and has to be treated as such, and without the judgement and stigma of it. So to all of you who beat yourself up, I had the monetary means to go to the best addiction doctor and I have a medical background to try to logically understand what had happened to ME. I did not wake up one day and say, "Hey, I want to be labeled a drug addict, and let it become so bad, that it is all I think about and worry about, the insurance of having the next pill available, and I equated the addiction to opiates similiar to buying prepaid cell minutes, but mine was prepaid "life" minutes...that awful fear if withdrawal, and being found out. I am not a scientist, but I ponder.....and I have found that women seem to be more at risk for addiction, and the average range can be 35-45. The rise of prescription drug abuse had tripled in 2 years. To all of you, think about this logically. Once you get started on the Suboxone, (That is the HARDEST transition in my opinion), then you are half way there. Since Suboxone is a partial antagonist, it means it is not "substituting one addiction for another." It is keeping the person from becoming physically ill and one the dead end journey to drug abuse, and it does not work on the Gamma or MU receptors, that cause pleasure, like the opiates do. Also, since the Suboxone is sublingual, it means it disolves and goes straight to those receptors, and you are not ingesting it. I am 20 weeks pregnant, and I have had every test under the sun, and so far, the baby is NORMAL. The heartrate is normal, the brain development is normal, all of my bloodwork is normal and all genetic screens have been NORMAL, and I am 40. Now, calm down. If you are on Suboxone, you can taper it. If you choose, you can do this without much difficulty, because you can make it to 1mg, and you can do it. The drug conversion rate equates 1mg of Suboxone to 20mg of Hydrocodone, if that puts things into perspective. The roads that I have been down, to me, 20mg of Hydrocodone is nothing! That is what it would take to bump off the Suboxone for pain control. If you can make ot to .5 mg, than that is the equivelent of being on 1 10mg Lortab's per day. Also, since addiction after you are on Suboxone or tapering does become mostly mental, a baby is born not thinking about it. Now, for those that are on high dosages, I can't say that you are out of the woods. I also think there is a possiblity of issues taking more than 4mg per day. Each person is different, but let me tell you, I sure in hell would think it out and make a plan before owning up to it, and have CPS come into my life. Unless they do a 12 panel drug urine screen, Suboxone DOES NOT show up on a urinalysis, even one that screens for Methadone, which is a hell of alot stronger than Suboxone strips. I promise you all, that unless they do a specific drug test, (and the state usually does not have the funds to have those urine kits in stock) I would keep it private.I am not being condescending, but most state workers don't get paid much, and have such heavy caseloads for real issues, that most of the time they are a day late and a dollar short, a woman on Suboxone shows someone who is taking the appropriate, voluntary action to get clean. Also, to all the expert bloggers on this post, my OB docs have me on XANAX. I have gone through panic attacks and have had alot of truamatic things happen in my life, they felt that I would be worse off, and it was safer than blood pressure meds. Yes, we are weaning, but it is a case by case issue. No downs, no cleft palet, no DS. Try not to worry so much. I know, I do too. It is human nature!
These posts have been a godsend to me. When I found out I was pregnant (about 6 weeks) I wad taking 12 mgs. of suboxone a day. I called my prescribing doc right away. he started me on a very quick taper, and I struggled terribly with it. The withdraw combined with awful morning sickness made me feel like I was dying. I am now 10 weeks and only taking a half a mg. I'm still very much struggling with withdraw and also guilt. I was afraid I damaged my unborn child. When I ask the docs what kind of effect this could have on the baby, the sub doc says ask your obgyn, and the obgyn tells me ask the sub doc. It made me feel better to hear from actual people that lived it. I'm so glad to hear there is a chance for my baby. hopefully by this time next week I will be sub free. Thank you everyone for being strong enough to share your story
you said everything i wanted to that one comment. I know from experience that you cant tapper off too quick due to the something about it affecting the red blood cells and causing miscarriage but thanks for replying to that comment
how are you now? u ok? I was on methadone for 8 yrs. and found out i was preggo and had that child with no dhr or anything wrong thank god. then same with my 2nd child then with the 3rd child i had to tell my doc. he reffered me to a specialist and put me on subutex. now im on suboxone and doing good u can too!!!!!!!!
i am 25 and 10 weeks prego with my first and i have been on suboxone/subutex for two years now (suboxone at this time), the most i have ever taken is 4-5mg and now that i am prego i tapered down to 1-2mg a day, i am not prescribed them, me and my sister were both addicted to roxycodone together and each taking about 15 30mgs a day when we quit 2 years ago, i know it was alot, but even taking that amount we went straight to 4mg of suboxone and were fine, my sister was the one that went to rehab because i didnt have insurance and we have just been splitting her script. im afraid to tell the dr cuz i dont want to get my sis in any trouble, but i feel like i need my doctors help getting off. i let myself get to the point of withdrawals before i take more each time because i want to take as little as possible but even taking only 1mg a day, if i take some right before i go to bed i wake up with withdrawals. its really true, no matter how much you take the withrawals are still the same when u stop taking it... anyways i just want to have a healthy baby and if that means i have to go through slight withdrawals thats fine as long as it doesnt hurt my precious cargo, thats why im going to wait till my second trimaster to quit, and i think thats what anyone should do if they are planning to quit, DO NOT DO IT IN THE 1ST TRIMASTER, the baby is at its most fragile in the first trimaster and im no dr but from what ive been reading it is safest to quit stuff like suboxone and smoking in the second trimaster, the 1st trimaster and the 3rd trimaster are very sensative times for the baby. i do think it is best for me (and my baby) if i just quit all together, i have read alot of things that tell me the baby will be fine if i continue taking it but out of about every 100 things i read telling me the baby will be fine, i read 2-3 things telling me the baby wont be fine so i would rather stop than take any chance of causing my baby problems, im not trying to talk down to anyone at all, i completely understand how hard addiction is and how much stress it causes, but i know i will feel like a POS if my baby comes out with any problems, i know its almost impossible to quit but im gonna try so please wish me luck, i hope i can do it, and thanx to everyone who posted comments, they have really helped me decide what to do, im gonna try to quit and most likely not tell my dr, for the safety of my sis, and ofcourse if i have any problems i will tell him right away... oh and on a sidenote, for all of you talking down to these poor stressed out moms to be, you really need to think before you speak, everysingle woman on this sight is only worried about the wellbeing of thier child and would mostlikey rather die then have there child come out with wd's or some other problem, but when it comes to thier child living or dieing, they will rather painfully choose to put thier child through those things. i would love to see you all go through the same thing and make a differnet decision!
oh i forgot to mention, my sister asked her doctor if he would switch her to subutex if she became pregnant (obviously she was asking for me) and he said that she would have to take a preg test and do a bunch of paper work for it to be possible but that even if she does that the chances of being switched are low because he is a private doctor and they have really changed the laws on how much and how often doctors can prescribe subutex (another reason why ive decided to quit). He told her that he has had numerous patients that have taken 1 to 4mgs a day throughout thier pregnancy and they have all had healthy full term babies, he hasnt had one patient whos baby has had any serious problems do to suboxone, even long term. but please dont base your decision on this information, cuz ive heard it and im still gonna try to completely quit.
hello jaded  im not to sure you will even recieve this it has been  but if you can reply to me at b4uknowit at hot  i would really like some inight/help from you thnakyou
My girl is 12 weeks preg with our second son, after my first son was born sonewhere aling the line we started in pain pillz then to snorting heroin. We still maintained giving our son a GREAT life since i make good decent dough at my job. But point is what im sayin is we was kinda doin both opiates wishing we didnt have to but tryed to stop so many times but couldnt on our own we kinda kept pullin 1 & another down & quickly relapsing then eventually all in the sudden we found out she was 9 weeks preg so i been buyin suboxin pill tablets & also the strips both 8 mg for 10$ & we been clean for only 5 days now but we did it for my son & also the new baby tgats still growing out of fear of complications i know ur suppose to just do it for urself but our kids is our only possible motivation i guess BUT IS OUR GROWING BABY GONNA BE OK YALL THINK??? Since she snorting decdnt lines of heroin everyday & now took 4 mg if sunoxen for 5 days in a row? Our last doctor visit they said everything looked good but im still scared! Some one please let me know what you think bout me & my sons mothers story.....
Dont worry I do the same thing, I am trying to get into a clinic but its taking so long.
The doctor didnt ask me where I got them, but try to get into a clinic so they can monitor if your baby is safe.
But I am so worried my baby will be harmed by me taking the suboxone, I am now taking subutex which is safer.
I quit everything else, such as smoking but my doctor said not to stop taking suboxone or subutex it will only harm the baby more.
Actually I think what she said is very true..sorry Hun but suboxone is a drug..n I've been on it for sometime..and I would love to live life without it..I hide it from everyone..and I feel like I can't work out the way I used to..I feel like imma pass out..so u are not the real u..what she suggested is good if u were not pregnant..but the point is..u need to get off it..dosnt take a genius to figure that out..everyone is different so that lady that claims her kids were fine..which I don't get..but hey that was her dosnt mean urs will be too!..and for someone to be picky about what drug they will take while pregnant is funny..no I'm not gonna take Xanax but I'm taking suboxone..smh..they are both not healthy
I don't know if you noticed the date, but this thread is very old.  Most likely, the OP isn't even around anymore to see your reply.  The little hourglass symbol next to a thread indicates that the thread is more than 6 months old.  That makes it a little easier to identify the older threads when browsing.

Take care and welcome to MedHelp, by the way!!
I know these posts are a few years old, but I too am pregnant and on prescribed pain meds. I am really worried about my baby being born with withdrawls and I dont want that at all. I just wanted to see how everything went with your little one. And if you have any advice on this subject for me.
Thanks so much
Your wrong because you can't take benzos while your pregnant or tylenol PM because of the sleeping stuff n it..just saying
Thank you so very much for all of your comments. I've been in tears all morning, as soon as I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks I have been trying to get switched from suboxin to subutex. it's been so hard everybody has been giving me the runaround. no suboxin talk to her will accept Medicaid. I have absolutely no choice in remaining on the suboxin throughout my pregnancy at this point. I am terrified for the health of my baby. I have weighed myself down to two milligrams a day. My OBGYN is wonderful, though she did suggest to try and get switched a subutex, if I could. they won't take me. reading about how you ladies have healthy babies well on suboxone has made me feel so much better and I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have quit smoking, been taking my prenatals and eating very healthy. this is my first baby and all I want is for here she to be born healthy, but I know I can't stop taking it cold turkey, for fear it could cause me to miscarry. I am 12 weeks along now. as soon as I found out I was pregnant I lowered my self to the lowest possible does I could manage. is it really safe to breastfeed while on suboxin? I really hope that I can breastfeed because I know that is the healthiest for my baby, but I was afraid because of the medication. reading your posts made me feel so much better and I just wanted to thank you all for the encouragement.
This is an older thread, but I wanted to make some comments.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, just FYI.

Like, it's absolutely NOT true that CYS automatically gets called and the baby automatically gets taken away.  THOSE situations usually happen when a woman has not been honest with her doc.  The BEST course of action in any of these cases, where a pregnant woman is on a med (any med) is to be 100% honest with her OB, and as soon as possible after finding out they're pregnant.

To recommend not being honest with her doctor WILL likely put a woman in a situation where she will have to contend with CYS.  It's not good advice.

There's no right or wrong in these situations, they are all different.  It's vital to follow the recommendations of your doctor.  If you feel your doc is not educated enough about this (and many aren't), then find a doc who is familiar and has experience with treating women in these situations.

Taking ANY med during pregnancy comes with risks, but in the case of sub, there are also risks to trying to come OFF the med.  That's where it's important that the mom to be educate herself, talk to her doc, and come to an informed decision, after weighing the risks and benefits.

Certain meds are absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy pretty much no matter what.  One that would be is Xanax.  Xanax is a category D med, it shouldn't be taken during pregnancy, except in very VERY rare cases.  Of course, a medically supervised taper would be necessary to safely come off it.

Here are the Pregnancy Risk Categories, broken down and explained:

Category A
Adequate and well-controlled studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters).

Category B
Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.

Category C
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Category D
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

Category X
Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.

Category N
FDA has not classified the drug.

For reference, Suboxone is a category C medication, as is Subutex.  Naloxone is also a category C medication.  Subutex is generally considered the better option between the two (Suboxone and Subutex) during pregnancy, as it doesn't include the Naloxone, so the Mom is only contending with ONE medication versus two.

ALWAYS discuss these issues with your doctor, and always be honest with your doctor, even if you're taking something illegally.  Of course it's scary, but the doctors are there to help you and to help ensure your baby has the best chance.  You have to overcome the fear in order to make sure that happens.
I was on suboxone for 2 years for pain management. I found out I was pregnant, after being told I could not have children only 4 months before, in June of 2013. As soon as I found out I went to my suboxone doctor who immediately switched me to subutex. I was on 4mg of suboxone and switched to 4mg of subutex. We had to gradually increase my dose up to 24mg a day because the pregnancy was so hard on my back and I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms. My daughter was born 4 weeks early due to loss of fluid and a variable in the heart rate. She was pre-term but still weighed in at 6lbs 4oz. She was kept in the hospital for a week to watch for withdrawal symptoms. The only symptom she had was sneezing. They released her after one week and she came home perfect. She is now 6 1/2 months old and extremely smart and well past her peers in her milestones. I am currently being weaned off the medication and I am back down to 8mg. It was horrible leaving my child at the hospital when I went home but I followed my doctors directions and held her constantly to help her with the withdrawal and I breastfed. YES I BREASTFED! There is nothing better then a mom's milk to help an infant especially one born addicted to an opioid. Even if you plan on formula feeding please give your infant the first few days of breast milk and colostrum, its super beneficial. My child is perfect today and I am so glad I did not wean myself off and risk losing her.
just curious, what pain control did you use for delivery? epidural? did it work as effectively with the subutex, and with no side effects? I am 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I have been taking subutex for over 3 years for pain control, as i have fibromyalgia, rhematiod arthritis, 2 bulging disc in back, and IBS. It helps out considerably for the pain control, but i am desperate just to taper off of it, and get off completly, but am afraid of withdrawls for the baby. what do you recommend? thanks so much!
I found out i was pregnant for the second time a week ago. Ive been taking 2 milligrams of Suboxen almost everyday for around 5 months, when i found out i completely stopped since i knew no drugs was best. It was the worst 4 days of my life, at first i thought it was just real bad neasau but i couldnt do anything i was in so much pain 24/7 so today i went and bought a strip, and after feeling extremely guilty, i found this site witch has answered alot of questions, i feel no more withdrawl (withdrawal) systoms thank god, but if course still feel bad about taking something that may harm my baby, but after reading about withdrawl (withdrawal) and miscarriage, maybe i did the right thing.  I dont have a script i choose to get on the strips just as i once choose to buy opiates, i didnt plan on becoming pregnant but here i am, after reading about cps im more then hesistant about telling a doctor, i also live in lapeer, michigan and im not trying to deal with that, i think the withdrawl (withdrawal) from suboxin is way worse then vics and perkacetts were, i messed up when i thought this was the answer. I dont get high off suboxen, i feel normal now. I just get that energy boost i feel i need to be a good mom to my beautiful 4 year old daughter, without it i feel depressed and ill and feel like a bad mom its hard to explain. Thanks for the topic and help, im less stressed already i feel tapering down and overcoming this addiction is the best choice. Easier said then done i know. And to the ppl commenting on this that dont have addiction. So really cant understand us, your uneducated and should be minding your own buisness. No one here is excited about being on suboxen,  as im reading were frightened of harming are babies, im feeling horrible about it but dont have any other options right now, the withdrawl (withdrawal) from this is absolutley scary and painful its like the stomach flu that wont go away.i thought four days and id start feeling bettet haha not even a little. I need to take care of my daughter and cold turkey wasnt helping. Good luck to all of you, thanks for sharing and listening to my story
Kohler's disease has nothing to do with Suboxone use.

"The exact cause of Kohler disease is not known, but one possibility is poor blood flow to the tarsal bones due to a vascular accident. Kohler disease may also be related to certain underlying genetic diseases."

I hope you havent really been blaming yourself for this.
I know this is an old thread, but I am posting for the women who will search for this in the future.

I've been on suboxone for 5 years now (since 08). In 2010 I gave birth through c-section (that had absolutely NOTHING to do with my taking suboxone. I chose to become induced around my doctors untimely vacation and after laboring all night she decided the stress on my baby girls heart was getting to the point where she needed to come now and I wasn't progressing quickly enough) to a perfectly healthy baby girl. At the time I was taking a ridiculously miniscule amt of Suboxone, less than 1/10th of a mg. Today as I type this she is a perfect little 3 year old who has no issues what-so-ever. With the exception of occasionally trying to get away with not listening. ;)

Today I found out I am pregnant with my 3rd child (2nd that I will give birth to) which sent me on the search to find out if any more has been discovered about suboxone and pregnancy since 2010 and I am very happy to see mine was not an isolated experience. I am currently taking 1mg of suboxone a day. I'll taper that throughout my pregnancy after the first trimester.

And if a year from now I remember, I will post my baby's status. =) I do have the utmost confidence that this will be fine.

Research, research, research! Science and the understanding of how the medications work and how you're body works during pregnancy is your best friend!

Best wishes to every woman in this predicament!
I just wanted to add one more thing.

Because I was on suboxone I was treated like complete **** while having my baby girl regardless of the fact that I had been clean for 3 years. People who havent been there dont get it and being judgmental seems to come so easy to us as humans, unfortunately.

My husband was also treated like **** although hes never done a drug in his life and was the whole reason I became clean!

Anyway, my nurses hardly spoke english (asian or japanese idrmbr anymore) and asked me if I needed any help, which I took as like WIC kind of help. Apparantly they meant do I need CPS to get involved because as Im leaving the hospital we got a very unexpected visit from a CPS worker. She understood that it had been a misunderstanding and that Id been clean for years and I havent dealt with them since.

So be prepared for stigma's like this to follow you, but it's worth it to do whats best for your baby.
In the end you and your doctor have the final decision making on what to do. =)
hi I have a question u mentioned about breastfeeding well my doctor said if my son does come out withdrawing id be breastfeeding but you say it dosnt go to nthe baby ?? so how does that work then
hi I read your post and am 31 weeks pregnant on suboxon I wanted to know how much were u taking and did ur baby have any withdrawls?? and if he did did they make u breastfeed my sub doc said id have to breastfeede but then another woman said the sub dissolves under your tounge and the sub dosnt go into the breast milk do you k now anything about it
im alos on suboxon and 31 weeks pregnant I know this thread is old but just wanted to know how your baby did
hi I ead your post did your baby have any withdrawls or problems I hope it all went good for you
my friend has been on 16mg suboxone, 8mg xanax and 200mg of seroqual daily her whole pregnancy.she is 8 months pregnant now.. I told her that was harmful to the baby but she swears its not. Whose rite..me or her and also if it is harmful..in what way?
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is old and the original participants are no longer taking part, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire
______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.