Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
The Positive Side Of Addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

The Positive Side Of Addiction

Although we mostly talk about the bad things that happened during our addiction, I think many of us come out of it better people that seem to appreciate things more now, I do anyway. Going through something this difficult and coming out on top only makes us stronger. I definately have a different outlook on life since I got clean and wanted to know what you think has changed the most for you after going through this hell and reaching the other side.  For me i guess now I don't take anything for granted like I did before. I didn't have many good days during my use and I really do appreciate the small things in life so much more now. I see things I didn't see before if that makes sense? I guess my question is how did going through addiction change you for the better once you got clean.
Hey Giz - - Thats not an easy one. My initial reaction is to say that I can lie through my teeth with a straight face and I have aquired the widest and most diverse circle of friends anywhere.  Not sure if thats what you are going for.................................
Nice goin' eagle, ;-)  lol..........

Well:
I think you find out you are stronger than you thought you were.
Your mind may open more, b/c you didn't think it could happen to you, and now you    understand..
You are able to SEE the good in your life.
You are able to appreciate the good in your life.
You have made lifelong friends.
You may find yourself in a position to help others as and after you recover.

I no longer judge, and I deff. can see that good is in most people tho they may have a horrible lifestyle, they may not care for there family, or are out in bars every nite, what ever I can understand that the good MAY be covered up by something in thier life that has gotten a hold on them and that they might just want to be normal and dont know how. I have become much more humble and have lost my pride, and better than you attitude. Also im much more willing to lend a hand to someone who needs it.
CLARITY is AMAZING
Waking up feeling good is GOLD.
Also, having REAL EMOTIONS
Being able to really express yourself, not just be all hum drum
Senses are coming back!
Finally feeling all range of emotions not just anger,hurt and pain.Feeling of freedom is so unbelievable and also the knowing that anything that I want to do CAN and WILL be done today as long as I don't pick up for today.
Hey eagle congrats, lol. So many great answers here. Outotown, I liked what you said about being more humble now and lost your pride because that happened to me too. There may have been a time years ago I was a lil stuck up, lol, but that changed when I saw and felt so much pain and that humbled me for sure. Now I am a dork, haha. Nice to hear all the good that comes with getting clean:)
what i learned is that i am alot stronger then i thought i was....plus i am more opened minded...
The best part of my recovery was finding me!!!
Giz - - Well this turned out to have bunch of great answers....really good question.  I cant really remember anyone just asking point blank for positive remarks ever before....
I think I am a lot less judgemental then I use to be.I just have a new understanding about life, about addiction,depression,you name it.My husband was an alcoholic years before I became addicted to pills.I used to say to him why don't you just stop,now I understand,thats way easier said then done.It's doable,but it ain't easy.I just see things differently now.I'm a lot more compassionate.Great post Gizzy,as always......Kim
Gizzy you are just the total package!!!!!!  LOL               MP
While we were in active addiction and now in recovery, and in w/d, if you dont take time to look on the bright side you will miss so much. Thanks Gizzy for this post i have thought alot today about the good that came from the darkest time of my life. One of the best things to come out of my addiction is you peole on here, you have tought me so much about living, were from all diierent walks of life but ended up in the same place I have come to lone all of you!!! FFE Friends for ever Aaron
I agree Aaron.......the friendships are great...sara
I agree also Aaron.You people here are just about the best thing that came out of it!!!!   Kim
Gizz---Great post....  Outotown--  Exactlly how i feel word for word...I left my first husband , highschool sweetheart, because he was addicted to coke...I could never understand how he could choose that over me....Boy Karma is A bitcho!!!  LOL...Now he is clean, and has been for many years, and even after all these years if i had the guts to call and tell him i am proud of him because i just had no clue how tough it had to be on him...Maybe one day i will....

I definetly try my best not to judge others i know that are addicted to something...My sister has always been addicted to food, and i could never understand that either..I  never told her anything, except maybe try to eat health or a program like weight watchers, but now i see it is not that easy...

Also, I don't take one day for granted, or a rainbow, sun, even rain!!!  
r2r
Thats a fact!
One of the hardest things for me was to let anyone get to close that soft side i actually have........(yes eagle i have one!!!)  Once i did that i seemed to become more open minded......

r2r........nicely said girl!!!
r2r Calling him and telling him that might do you and him a world of good just a thought
r2r,I hear ya girl.....that karma came back and sunk it's teeth into my backside good.I'm sure you will make that call one day.Hugs...Kim
It is so strange that this post came up today, and I said what i did about my first husband., because just a couple days ago I was telling the women at my meetings about my feelings towards him, and how i think it would do me , and him some good for me to make that call. So outotown, you are so right!!  and yes kim LOL, I am checking to see if i have any behind left from the hugh bite it took off my rear!!  But you know what, It is something i think we all go through....I know for me i once thought addicts, where homeless, teethless, lived under a bridge type thing...Isn't that the most terrible thing for a person to think...Like i am better then anyone else???  WTH...HUGH reality check....SO , gizzy, great post, for us to think about some positive things, instead of all the negative!!!
you are all great!!
r2r
to realize how precious life is,and how lucky I am to have been given a second chance to see that with clear eyes mind and heart,also all the people on here who give of themselves so selflessly to reach out and help another in their time of need
snowflake
You will get some closure if you make that call at some point.......
thanks sara, I think you are right...But hey what if he says ok, then can we get back together???   LOL

just kidding, he is remarried and has another child ( only one besides ours together)  and is very happy, he was a part of my life for so many years, and I am very proud of him for doing it on his own, so i will make that call... :)
When I came out of the fog..I was so greatful my life was still here..right where I left it, just waiting on ME. I feel so very lucky that I didnt lose it all. I love being able to just feel again..the numbness is gone..I am also glad for the clear mind...I haved judged my own son...always saying...why cant you just quit...now I know. He is clean...done it on his own..I am more proud of him than I am of myself for getting clean..One more thing I am grateful for is all the help and support of my new friends here...would never have made it this far...DANG GIZ I JUST LOVE YOU....WHAT A GREAT POST.
Nicely said.My depression lfted,I can taste better,feel better,getting libido back.having another chance (again), so very thankful to God for my blessings
I am new in recovery but the best part so far is how the relationship with my family has changed (for the better of course) because I am a much happier person. You know the saying...if mom's not happy..no one is happy...lol! I am also still discovering the "new me" and I am loving her very much! I am starting to realize that I am a strong person, I deserve happiness and I AM WORTH IT!!!!!!!
Will have to get back to you on this one.  After these 3 months, my head is still so, not
right, I'm not sure whats good and whats not.  I know how bad it feels every day so its
hard to see the light/good I suppose.  I keep hoping to wake up and have turned the
proverbial corner, but so far have been unable.  Not thinking about going back, just hoping things change soon.
great post!  I think there r some positive..like mentioned,.,,i am not judgemental at all anymore of anothers addiction..i understand how people feel...and i also think that has made me more open in other areas as well..also taught me that i need to grab life while it is here..enjoy every second of it..also//a certain self awareness developed as well...after detox, i saw things in my life very clearly..things i never knew were in the back of my mind//triggers i guess..issues i needed to work on were staring at me..and for this i am grateful..some go thru their whole life without this self awareness...and i think it was a positive thing
guv338...I feel you.  I am in the same boat.  I pray to wake up everyday and feel a little better.  I want my life back so bad and am being pretty hard on myself right now.  But i have completly lost myself in the past 4 years.  Dont even know who i am anymore.

But what i am very greatful for...Is a 2nd chance.  I am alive.  And i have the ability to find myself.  I have a chance to find out what makes me happy, or sad.  

Im just very impatient!
Thank you guys so much for your stories...its really gives me hope that i will be better one day...Im only 11 days clean...So i know i have alot to look foward to.  Thank you for giving me hope!
I love you guys
For myself I have found the innocents I had thought I had lost when I was 9.. I have all the experiences of guns being pulled shot at beat used and thrown away like garbage.. I have stole lied cheated.. I never sold myself for this was the last thing I owned.. I have contracted a deadly disease and play a balancing act with my kidney.. but I have found a innocents in a world I never explored before.. Thoughts that are my own.. anger no longer my heartbeat.. guilt has no room unless to remind me I'm doing something wrong.. I still have a innocence's to all that is good and to me this is the most rewarding part of going through what I have... lesa
I'm grateful that I am not a slave anymore.  You know how it is, the routine, the dr. visits, the drug store, the pill counting, planning my life around being sure I didn't run out ahead of time, the last year seems I always did!!  the total addiction.  I wake up each morning and now I don't think of them first thing!!  Yes, I do still crave at times but not all the time anymore,  that's how I know I'm getting better.  This took time to get into and now it's gona take time to get out of .
God bless all of us for having the guts to do this and the stubborness to stay with it!!

Ella