The book "Broken"
OK - no one get pissy because I'm posting this here, but I wanted alot of people to see it...

I am getting toward the end of William Moyers (Bill Moyers son's) book "Broken" and while the book isn't the BEST read I've ever read, as I am now almost at the end and reading of his redemption I am brought to tears!  He is a recovering crack addict & alcoholic - relapsed 4x - and the hope this book shares is wonderful, if you are a reader.

He mentions in the book he now carries a note in his pocket that someone gave him, a sister of an addict .. he carries it with him always:

"Wherever people are in the black hole of addiction - whether it is at the edge of a loved ones battle with drugs, in a horrifying fight of one's own, or standing amid the devastation caused by death, even suicide - I want them to know that addicts are not monsters.  I want them to know that healing and beauty can come from the most destructive forces our world has ever faced.  I want them to know that hope exists."
Thanks for posting that.  I enjoyed that "note".  It is a beautiful quote...Such destructive forces on such beautiful souls exist...I like the way it's worded, I have seen it from many angles.

Thanks again for posting..
thats a perfect way of seeing it.
Addicts are considered nothing but a social stigma walking the earth like zombies, loathed and ostracized by most people.....
We don't hear much about the special detox facilities in the south for doctors and lawyers who get into trouble..........
for must of us who get into trouble with addiction we have to fend for ourselves......most addicts cannot even afford or have the means to get into a detox or get the help they need to fight the sickness of addiction........
Times across the country are changing because our jails and prisons are at capasity and most of these faciliites are in the red............and no financial help is coming.....soon they will be forced to change and start providing alternatives for judges when dealing with addiction.......
In this RX generation of pill addicts and the thousands of script frauds going in front of judges something will have to change soon there is no more room to just throw addicts in jail.........
after i read your post last night, i went to books a million and got this book.   thanks !!
i sincerely hope you are right...things need desperate change when it comes to addiction...and like you said especially for the less fortunate and uninsured, we need help...i wonder when that help will arrive...and i also wonder what it will take to get "them" to see...
Financial and economics will force the change..............
Beach - that's pretty much his message now, working in public policy for Hazeldon.  Your stories (and message,) btw, are not that dimsimilar (well, maybe not the familial part) but from where he was in his addiction, to where he is now - and what he does - for trying to further the understanding, assistance and tolerance for addicts.

Lizzie - Get "A Million Little Pieces" too if you haven't read it!  I loved that one even before I loved drugs! lol.
Moyers thinks as soon as many more of us put "faces to the disease" without shame, and get much more active in pushing public policies, etc. etc. - these things will help...
I'm about half way through the book A million Pieces I'll mail it to you Liz when I am done........
That's a beautiful quote.  I love reading, especially biographical novels...I plan on picking it up as soon as I get to a book store.  Thanks for sharing!

xoxoxo
Rosie
:-)  

And ENJOY this time!!!!!
i loved that one too...even after the author was busted for "embellishing" his story.   i also sent it to davis when he was in taos at his program.   that was interesting reading all the same :)
... that's how I felt.  the book was so dang good, I didn't give a rat's a** that he embellished!!!  :-)
i cannot believe how a person who had money, a career, and a wealthy family, can wake up in a crack house and make it out alive. this is really an unbelievable book. meanwhile, "in a million pieces" a book writen by a person who had none of the above is called a liar and accused of embellishment. i am a recovering alcoholic and crack head and i would have ganked his shoes right off of his feet if he fell asleep after smoking some worthliess stuff. how gullable have we become, a rich man writes a book, and everyone believes him, a REAL addict who wtites things the way he remembers them, however, is called a liar. WOW, keep making the rich richer, and keep an honest person down, because he writes what he remembers as he remembers it. i am writing my own book, but it is about the way i lived it, not how some people expect me to fake it!!!!!