Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Throwing up black liquid

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Throwing up black liquid

Hi, let me preface by saying I'm not an alcoholic, but the alcoholism forum seems to be the best place to ask this.  I had way too much to drink last night and had a pretty bad hangover today, what really scared me is when I threw up, I threw up this black liquid that seemed to not mix well with the clear (saliva?).  Do any of you know what this black stuff is and how much damage I did to my body last night?  Thank you for your help.
Well, I AM an alcoholic and I have never heard of throwing up blackl liquid.  How much did you drink?
Maybe you should see a dr or get to an emergency room.  
Also, there is a forum on this site moderated by actual doctors.  It's a 15 dollar charge to post a question but they answer you right away.
Good luck.
ANd WHAT is it that you had to drink because yo might just be throwing up that.
Oh that can't be good.  I drank a lot, the point of no return for me is when I took a huge gulp of pure vodka that I thought was mixed.  After that things got pretty crazy, it was really fun, but sooo not worth the hangover.  I'm sort of bulemic so maybe that has something to do with it?  My dad's a general surgeon so if I can't figure it out online I'll just have to ask him.  I can't imagine it being too bad being just a one time thing and all.
I had vodka mixed with this tripplesec and peach mixer I got at the liqure store.  Yea I thought about what I ate and drank but I don't think I ate or drank anything black.
Actually I may have had some coke.  But it didn't look like coke, it looked thicker.  Maybe my stomach acid extracted the syrup?  Is that possible?
It's not a good thing.....what did you eat???
I had some chicken earlier that day and I had a cheese burger and some fries a little while before I started drinking.
Oh also I remember it tasted really bitter when I threw it up, I can't remember if it tasted acidic but I remember bitter.
Could a friend of yours been concerned and given you charcoal pills?? I did this to a friend a long time ago when they were too drunk for their own good and they threw up black.

If not I would see a doc ASAP... black vomit or black stools is never a good sign
no I don't think so, I'll talk to my dad about it, he'll know what it was and what to do about it.
you said you are "sort of bulimic."  what do you mean by that?  every day?  you absolutely cannot chalk this simply up to the alcohol because the bulimia is probably wrecking your insides.

you gotta get it checked out.  that is not a good sign...
Alright I just called him and he said it was probably blood from my stomach, he said as long as I don't do it again I should be fine.  Man that was kind of embarrassing.  But at least I know I’ll probably be fine, thanks guys for your help.
Not everyday anymore, I'm eating less so I won't throw up as much, and even when I threw up everyday I wouldn't throw up that much of my meal because I didn't want to get down to the higher concentrations of stoamch acid.
well, i sure encourage you to get help for this.  you could be doing some really serious damage to to your insides...

does your dad know about the bulimia?  if you are getting input from people, your dad, whoever without them having the full story, you're really not getting a true "diagnosis" or feedback.

you know that - right?
Blood from the stomach should be red not black... Black is a huge sign there is a issue..
yea he knows I'm bulemic.  FLaddict, what could the black be and what would it mean?
Did the fluid look like coffee grounds?  That's how blood looks when it has mixed with the acid in your stomach.  Bright red blood is fresh blood, like a nose bleed.
Your father the surgeon said as long as you don't do it again you'll be fine?  I'm glad he is not my dr.  That is a scary thing to sy to your child when they've confessed to a dangerous activity like binge drinking and now find themselves throwing up black fluid. I still say emergency room.  
it looked like syrup with clear liquid in it
I just had some mac and cheese about 30 mins ago and now my stomach feels just fine, I'm too cheap to go to the emergency room unless I'm sure I need to.
ah honey... just be careful.  please get some help for the bulimia....  seriously.  i don't know your pops, what his deal is, etc. - regardless of what happened with the black vomit, something really could be seriously wrong.

or going wrong, and you can stop it before it gets too bad.... alot of people recover from it, but alot of people if they don't get help do serious damage...

Thank you for your concern, I'm working on the bulemia, my sister was bulemic and now has some health problems and has to take a bunch of meds everyday.  I don't want the same thing to happen to me.
no sweety, you really don't.

i'm REALLY glad to hear you are working on it.  and know i'm not judging you... we all have our own sh**.  but i'm guessing you are young, and truly, a few pounds ain't worth your health.  the older you get, you really realize how true this is...

for the record, when i was a size 4 and when i was (and am) a size 8 - there's NEVER been any difference in the men, or number of them that pursued me.  i'm not saying that from any kind of arrogant place.. i'm telling you that a couple sizes simply doesn't matter.

and trust me - i've been around the block!  ;-)

take care of yourself, ok?
I really hope that you are ok and that you cotinue to seek help for your bullemia.  You're worth it!  
lol for the record I'm a guy, and I'm kind of young (23), I used to be fat and I don't want to get that way again, so I'm just going to try to eat less.
Hey, i'm also bulimic and this has happened to me a few times. Ironically, also today. What color was the blood ? What consistency was it ?

If it was light and thin, brighter red(ish) in color that probably means you have a cut in your esophogus/throat/mouth. However, if the blood was dark brownish or even black and chunky - appearing almost like coffee grounds, with a stronger metallic blood taste, it is very serious. This could mean you ruptured an internal organ or that something is seriously wrong w/ you. This could lead to death or serious complications. If that's the case get checked out immediately.

I hope it was the lighter color.
i got this from the net..copy paste
good luck and pleae goto a DR
it wasen't chunky at all and it tasted bitter, not like blood.
sorry 'bout that!  :-)

i want you healthy, regardles.....

warmly,
mj
for what it's worth, i was a chubby kid, and teenager.  around 21, 22 i read a book called Fit For Life.

it changed my life.

between that and exercise, i never gained all the weight back.  i've gone up and down a bit, but never to where anyone would have ever called me "fat" or even "chubby" again.

i was right around your age when i made this change... just tossin' it out there.
oops - i skipped the part where after i read the book and started exercising, i dropped all excess weight.. but you probably figured that out...

and with this book, you can even "pig out," it's just about food combining for maximum digestion.. it really works.
if it looked like "coffee grounds" then it most likely was blood, thats what they say blood will look like when mixed with stomach acids etc...if it looked like that...you should go to the hospital...
Fit For Life, I'll look for that next time I'm in barnes and noble, thanks!
I had a family member this happened to and it was because of deteriation from your intestines....First it goes to the esophogus then into the stomach and then can have a rupture in your intestine and it can be bowel material...just want to put that out there for you...not saying thats what it is but the acid wares on all your organs and just proceeds downwards.....please ask a doc about this
What did you eat and drink before you threw up.  I don't think its your guts, or it would be bloody......
Coke could present itself in vomit that way......
I was looking at this site cause a friend of mine had a cold and was puking up black stuff (blood) and he died last night. no autopsy results yet but you should get help you could have internal bleeding. your stomach is already messed up and the booze might have torn you open.
You said you were bulimic to probably the bile from your stomach .tastes awful,how much do you really drink,and use drugs?/ This doesnt' happen just in one incident.PS I am an alcoholic and addict.
Sorry read this wrong,you meant coke the drink,very sorry as I said. when I read this wrong  This is not good tho. The stomach lining is not a good thing to mess with.You should get it looked at. Glad the mac and cheese helped.
My husband just the word about three weeks ago that he has pancreatic cancer stage IV. He has been throwing this black stuff & alot of it, does this mean that his time is near? I'm doing my best to care for him at home with Hospice help. I'm really getting scared................
belle,I am so very sorry for U and your family .I dont know if this means its close too his time .When people are throwing up black most of the time it is blood so as u know he is very ill . I am sure you are really scared my son had cancer three years ago I was lucky he is well now .I am here if you need to talk feel free to PM me I will tryto see if I can finds a forum that there are other members with cancer plz feel free to post here as well.
Belle ,
This will take u over to the cancer forum .There may be more people who have better information so check this forum out as well   http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cancer/show/59
belle,
here is another forum that might help http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Gastroenterology/show/68
The same thing happened to my boyfriend. I picked him up from his friends and he had drank wayy to much. He told me he was throwing up and like a black goop came out that wasn't mixing with the rest of the vomit. I watched him all night and researched what it could be. Everything I looked into said it was blood. He hasn't drank sense then and he's been absolutely fine. It's been a couple months now and there have been no further problems. So I think you're okay, just hold back on the drinking.
black chunks could mean half digested blood.. i had a stomach ulcer not to long ago and it happend to me... better check it out
you said black liquid from mouth is not a good sign. cud u elaborate wat xactly u meant by that?
I had the same thing happen today... went out this weekend on Sat and got way too drunk and so yesterday started drinking early to get rid of the hangover.  Drank most of the day but never got super drunk (light drinking all day with friends...) but I got home really late and woke up early with a weird tummy ache.  I'm kind of bulimic too, and have really been trying hard to cut back on throwing up my food lately... only have done it a handful of times this month.  I ended up throwing up while I was in the shower (yuck I know), but I didn't have my glasses/contacts on and couldn't really see it that clearly.  What I did see was a bunch of like little red chunks, and a couple pretty big black sludgy looking chunks.... thought it must have been like food left over or something, but then I was thinking about it and I only ate a slice of pizza before drinking and that was really early in the evening.  And my tummy has been really really bothering me all day... you think this is blood I threw up?  I feel a little better now, after I ate three slices of bread for dinner lol... if it is blood, I can't afford to go to the er I'm too broke.  Also, I am starting to worry about the throwing up frequently thing, and am scared that I really hurt myself but I'm not sure who I should talk to about that.... just my reg doctor, or some specialist??  Sorry for writing so much, just worried!!!