Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
To refill or not refill

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

To refill or not refill

I have succesfully detoxed my body off of Vics for 11 days now.  I physically feel great, besides pms.  Now comes the hard part,  I could refill my script in a week, and I dont feel like I am strong enough to call and say no.  It weighs on my brain like some heavy cloud that I cant see through.  The need sometimes controls the desire to quit and I dont know what to do.  I read, write, exercise, go to the library, and keep myself busy in so many ways, however, there is still that lingering thought of getting high. HELP
i would not get the refill, as long as there around you might use them, if your not taking them why get them filled? i am getting ready to kick oxys and im not getting my next script filled becouse ill tak myself into taking "just one"
congratson the 11 days stick to it
DO NOT REFILL.  Please dig down deep and find the strength to make the call to the pharmacy and tell them no more pills.  I also suggest to you that you have to cut off your ties with the pills.  Burn those bridges.  Meaning call your doctor and tell him no more pain pills.  As addicts it is impossible or close to impossible to stay clean when opportunity knocks.  I could not never have done it without telling my doctor, etc.  Hope you hang tough and win the battle over the craving.  Best of luck!
Yes you need to call the pharmacy and cancel the scrip. You also have to tell ur dr that is SO important. You can do it though ur stronger than those nasty pills. And ALWAYS remember 1 pill is too much and 1000 is not enough!!!
I have a journal.. called and canceled.. The pride and relief I felt when I canceled was Immense... You have just gone through He!! don't go back through... Haven't you been burned enough.. That is how I felt.. Hope you do what is best for you Freedom really is worth the misery of addiction.. lesa
NO, NO, NO....your addiction is talking to you...cancel it today and then you wont have to think about it.  as long as it is there you will go crazy thinking of it...do it really quick and you will feel the freedom.  your mind plays crazy tricks on you when you are an addict...DO NOT GET THAT SCRIPT FILLED....please call today and cancel....then come tell us how good you feel....YOU CAN DO IT
Please just call and cancel the refill. Why put yourself thru all this.  It feels good to have that power to say no.  The high wont be there.....just pain and guilt.  You are stronger than you think.  Stay strong      sara
just say no....why put yourself through that after detox...i think it would be a bad idea and to tempting to have them filled.  good luck to you..maria
You must be kidding? 11 days is a great start......but thats all it is. Have you not read the forum where where everyone says that getting clean isnt the hardest part - its staying clean that is the hard part........stay clean...
If you don't call now and cancel that script you will fill it. If not next week then the week after because it will be there calling your name. I know the feeling. Make the call and call the dr while your at it. It feels so good after you make those calls! I was so scared of losing my connection, but after I was done I felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders. It was high in itself!
Thankx for all the great encouraging words.  I just got off the phone with my Doctor.  I called at lunch and talked to a nurse and explained a little what was happening,  OMG I feel great,  anyways this is the nurse who writes my scripts.  She immediately took my number and said the doctor would call me.  10 min later he did.  God luv him.  I told him everthing and that I did'nt want anymore drugs, no matter what I asked for or how bad I hurt.  800mg motrin and thats it.  He took the liberty of calling my pharmacy and canceling all refills for me.  What a strange uplifting feeling.  I feel shocked I actually did it, now I don'nt need to keep counting the days.  The mental game is so much harder and much more painful than any physical symptom I had.  I did it, thanks to all of you who suggested it, what a cleansing day.   SIGH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Congratualtions --- You are well on the way to getting your own life back --
Way to go!!!!  See you are strong and on your way!!!!  I am proud of you!!!  sara
HOOOORRRAAAAAYYYYYY for you.  that is awesome.  it really does feel good.  i flushed some and i was like WOW!!!!!!  like eagle said..you are on your way>  i am very proud of you.
GOOD JOB!!! I'm so proud of you! It feels pretty good doesn't it? Who would have thought earlier in our addictions that we would be turning down pills? Weird Huh... I think that shows real growth!
WAY TO GO!!!!  Congrats on doing what was in your best interest!  I'm proud of you - it was so worth it!!!! :)
that is wonderful...keep on doing what you re doing..stay focused..you can do it.  everyday  of clean living is great..maria
u r dead serious about his quitting stuff..sounds like it to me!  congrats
The fact that you are even posting the question should tell you not to fill the script.  You may have 'successfully detoxed' your BODY, but your mind and thoughts will always remind you that you are an addict.  Don't assume you can fill it and 'take it as prescribed'.  Many of us have made that mistake and relapsed many times.....HARD!!  Call the pharmacy and tell them to cancel the refill.
Sry, missed the update.  It really does feel good to be able to say no.  Remember that feeling!  This situation will arise again...do the same thing then.  Now its time to start working on recovery.  Detox gets the drug out of our system, but the addiction is still there.  

I would like to add......you should be VERY proud of yourself for coming here and posting this important issue...before you got the refill!  That is a huge step in itself.  You reached out when it was crucial.  Continue doing that....even with things that seem so minor to you.  Its the little things we let pile up on us that make us want to get high.