Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tolerance?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tolerance?

I wasn't sure how to do this so I pasted my 1st ? on the forum because people were asking ? about my first post,anyway I thought maybe I was being insensitive to my wife because I don't feel the need to take more MS contin than I'm given,is it more stable as far as tolerance?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I have a bunch of back problems and take 300mg of MS contin daily,my wife has a minor back problem and gets percocet 10mg(120per month)and gobbles them up before the month is up and then asks for some of mine,this has been going on for 6 months now.I keep telling her to manage her meds better because I can't keep giving her mine,but every month it's the same thing.Iv'e tried to stick by my guns and not give her any,but then All she does is lay in bed all day,and we have 3 kids 9,5,and 2,and I need the help or I feel bad and end up giving in.Today is the perfect example,I've been up since 4am,did the laundry got the kids up and off to school and now I'm taking care of the little one,while she lies in bed moaning because I won't give her any of my meds.And I know before the day is out I'll have to give in because I'll be exhausted and need the help.I don't know what else to do.Thanks for any and all who take the time to read and respond.
Maybe you should hold on to her next bottle and dole them out to her per the prescribed daily dose - then she won't run out.  Just a thought...

dak
Unfortunately.....that is how we get when we are out of meds. Not everyone, but many.
You just get totally down and out. I wish I could give you a solution but really she needs to admit what she already knows, and want to get help.

I think you dispensing her meds is a good idea, but not so good idea if you think you will give in to her when she wants more before it is time.

Another suggestion would be to speak to her Dr, but this could backfire as well. If her Dr is strict he could refuse her any future meds.

I would sit down with her, talk to her maybe see if she will read through posts here in the forum. Know she is not alone, and that she really needs help controlling her meds if not totally stop taking them. It only gets worse. Much worse.

If you absolutely cannot say no to her, and you give her your pills...you need to make it minimal.
I do not condone it, nor suggest it but just an opinion to maybe help you through for right now.

Do you have anyone else in the home or close that could control the medication? Maybe her knowing or even "thinking" you do not have them at your disposal will stop her from asking for them.

But remember, an addict will do many things if not anything to get meds, off the street etc, which is also not safe.

Hope some of this is of some help and I hope she gets the help she needs.

Huggs

Tracy