Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Too many ct scans?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Too many ct scans?

I have a friend who is a pain pill seeker and has been faking kidney stones. He has had over 20 ct scans in less than 6 months. What kind of danger is he in? Can too many ct scans be fatal?
  • tappering off xanax J.P. (3 replies):
    My doctor started me on xanax the dose 4mg.aday for 8 ye...[more]
  • scan today (16 replies):
    I had my HIDA scan this morning .It was a 90 min scan . ...[more]
  • MRI SCAN (3 replies):
    Should I have an MRI scan it will set me back a lot of m...[more]
  • R2R (2 replies):
    How are you feeling?? I have been thinking of you and h...[more]
  • G'morning all (4 replies):
    I just got back from first part of bone scan. I'm now fu...[more]
They're certainly not fatal, as far as I'm aware, but over-exposure to CT-scan radiation can lead to various and assorted types of cancer. Another side-effect would be sterility. His little swimmers probably aren't benefiting from it.

I've had between 20 & 25 CT's this year for the very same reason (although I'm not faking MY kidney-stones), and my doctor has indicated that he'd like me to receive ultra-sounds from now on, unless an emergency situation necessitates a CT.

How do you know your friend is faking his kidney-stones? Just curious if he's producing them, or if they're magically "disappearing". It's pretty hard to fake a CT. Doctors can 'see right through that' (no pun intended). If you present in the hospital with a kidney-stone, and they CT you, and a stone shows up, that's not fake. Are they CT'ing, and there's no evidence of a stone?  
I don't think I'd worry about the ct scans as much as the pill seeking. If your friend can work on his addiction there would be no need to "fake" symptoms in order to try and get high. But like el_em_en_oh said above, you can't really fake kidney stones. If nothing ever showed up on the ct scans I'm sure the doctors would have called his bluff by now. You should sit your friend down and have a good talk if you think he has a problem with pills. Do it in a friendly matter so he knows you are just looking out for him and not trying to belittle him.

Brian
Its that he travels to diff hospital ER's, so he is good at faking pain. They give him dilaudid when he first gets there, and then they set up a ct to c where the stone is at. When they dont c one....they attribute the pain to lower back or they say maybe he passed it already. Then they send him off with percs or vics....then on to the next er. He is good at what he does its scary. Cant he end up frying himself with radiation? Im talking 5 or 6 scans in one week!!
I am wondering how do you fake kidney stones if you don't have them? And get pain meds? I am wondering the same things as "teddyk6501"...
Its that he travels to diff hospital ERs, so hes good at faking pain...he knows what they look for....and look out for. When he gets there they give him dilaudid...then they set up a ct to c where the stone is at. When they dont find it..they attribute the pain to lower back muscle...or even that he may have passed it already and is having post pain. Then they send him off with vics or perks. And on to thE next ER. This guy is so good at this it is scary! He has been doing this state wide for years...started faking back pain...moved on to rib fractures..witch is genius because they cant c small fractures in rib injuries so its a perfect excuse. By doing this he has learned the ins and outs of ERs. He knows all the lingo and what to say and not say. He can read a Dr. in the first minute he meets them. He has also become an expert in the knowledge of pain medicine, the diff dosages and there affects. This has been going on for 10 years. Its a shame he cant use his knowledge to help people on a site like this. I have just hit the tip of the iceburg with you about what this guy has learned from real life expierences with over 100 diff hospitals and clinics. But my ? really is....5 or 6 ct scans in one week? Cant he be fried from radiation?
Sad thing, I faked a stone once. Just made me **** in cup and sent me off with mess. I am 3 days clean and I'm done for good. Doctors can't call your bluff on pain. They follow the guidelines of patients synthomes and give them meds. Suprised pharmacy has bit caught on.
It is a sad thing. He uses diff pharmacies and only pays cash....never insurance
He needs help,he will have that day like me and will quit. Those pills will stop working. He is running from the withdrawls. I wish him the best. Put him onto this site to read about quitting. I'm on Thomas receipe, its working. Google it.
ct scans emit alot of radiation , as opossed to mri.
Wondering if you guys have heard of red flagging?  I'm sure he's been red flagged across all the ER's.  They also can check the differeren't pharmacies that he's using to pay cash and see what he's doing. I think what he's doing is called Doctor Shopping and it's against the law.  You may want to let your friend know that they do keep records in the ER and the pharmacies speak to each other about the prescriptions.  Good luck.
ive had 5 ct scans and im worried about it can someone help me please
Why did you have the CT scans were you drug seeking or truly needed the scans. Five CT scans is not that much radiation. Also this thread is over 6 months old you should start another by posting a question.
does this mean ill be fine or i am going to get something from these ct scans im only 28 ive had 5 in 3 years and im worried what do u think
and they found nothing
Why do they keep ordering them?  Have you been ill or hurt?
5 scans in 3 years is nothing to worry about, when I injured my spine I probably had more than that in 1 year. But why did you haave the scans just want to know to try and help answer your question. Also you should post in your other thread as this one is over 6 months old.
thanks for the info  is there a test i can do for this
You want to know if there is a test you can take to be sure that the tests you took didn't harm you? I'm sorry, I am very confused on the line of questioning.

So let's try something here--this is an Addiction, Substance Abuse community. So, from there I will ask, do you have a drug abuse problem? And were you requesting tests for the purpose of obtaining pain medication? If so we can talk about here and maybe help if you feel that you have a problem.
im talking about ct scans
Iv had 1 head ct 7 X-rays and a MRI should I be worried of cancer ?? I'm 22