Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Too much sleepiness

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Too much sleepiness

For the last 2 days I have been so sleepy, I can barely function. I've been off hydrocodone for 7 days now, through medical detox. I felt fine when I left the hospital. I was able to have a sesssion with my addiction counselor and find a doctor who put me on zoloft, as I have a depression and anxiety disorder. After  I took the Zoloft, I became very sleepy and totally lost my appetite. He switched me today to Celexa. I haven't taken any yet. Could the problems I'm having be from going off the hydros or taking the antidepressants? Maybe a combination of both?

This discussion is related to Forum Guidelines - Please read before Posting.
its completely normal .Exercise helps get your body back on track .Sometimes a antidepressant can make you sleepy but it usually goes in a few weeks . Take your vitamins too and eat well it all helps ..
When my doctor put me on zoloft, I was falling asleep at my desk while at work.  That is a huge side effect....a long with, dry mouth and sexual dysfunction.  It should pass soon.....it could last 2 weeks or 2 months, but hopefully by the time you notice it starting to work for your depression it won't be making you sleepy any more....my sleepiness lasted for about 2 weeks and then it pretty much stopped....also, the time of day you take it makes an impact also....try taking it at a different time....that really made no difference for me, but for many people it helps.
Thanks for your comments. Every little bit of info. I can get helps sp much. I'm 9 days clean now and other than this fatigue and lack of appetite, I feel pretty good. I take a lot of walks, run errands, do housework, etc. It's hard when you feel so tired, but necessary. I wan't sure if it was the Celesa (they switched me from Zoloft) or coming off the hydro's. Maybe a combination?
Whoops, not Celesa, it's Celexa.
It is good to hear that you are doing so well.  I am happy for you!
I really appreciate all the support you've given me. I'm glad you're doing well, also. I hope to keep in touch with you, as you inspire me to do the what I need to do.
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I go back to work tomorrow. A little nervous about that. Got a lot of catching up to do. But I'm sure I'll be just fine. Got to think positive, right?