Trading one drug for another
Why do some people trade opiates for other drugs like methadone? I dont understand. Dont you eventually have to go thru simular w/d"s as you would w drug of choice?
I can only speak for suboxone users but I think methadone users have the same mentality. We use the drugs to help us get off of our drug of choice. Suboxone is an opiate blocker. Knowing I cannot get high off of opiates comforts me and takes a lot of the mental out of staying clean. I am unsure of the withdrawals from suboxone, but I am sure they are a lot less intense than opiates. Hope I helped.
Thanks for the info I didnt know what suboxone was!
you should only do  that if you have tried and failed to stay clean.  it is tool to help you get clean and the w/ds are not as bad if you taper very slowly.  but by all means try on your own
We addicts are always looking for drug solutions for our drug problem. 100 years ago it was heroin for morphine. In the 60's it was methadone for heroin. Now it's sub for methadone. Next we will have a drug to get off sub or de we already have it.? all the best
Thats what I thought! lol.
For me and perhaps many it is the guaranteed supply.  Sure, I love my life on Suboxone.  No cravings, ups and downs, no withdrawals, but if I could get my drug of choice the way I get the subs, I would likely still be on them.
my dr. put me on methadone for the pain that i was taking norco for cause the mathadone was cheaper and i had no insurance.  worst decision of my life cause the methadone is much harder to kick than the norcos were.  it took me 31 days after going ct to be free of the major wd symptoms.  and the done stole my personality, emotions, ruined my teeth, and ruined my memory.  i have been clean from it since June of 07, and still have memory problems.  the stuff is pure poison.

Lucy
You got that right Lucy. Idot docs that don't care or know put someone on hydrocodone and switch them to done without trying oxy or morhine or something else stronger than hydo . To go right to done is a big mistake and it is like trying to put out a fire with gas. Some people can never get off the done. I worry about the people taking sub for done because there's no free ride."Methadone, there's  no future in it"