Tramadol and SSRI's
I use to take Celexa (an SSRI) for depression but it made me gain a lot of weight so I stopped. I was on it for years. I just realized that only a little while after I stopped taking it is when my back started hurting. I know that Tramadol has seratonin in it and it's a pain killer. Celexa also has seratonin. I am wondering if I have had an injured back for a long time but not known it because of the Celexa. Just something I was curious about. If anyone knows about this stuff I would really be interested. Thanks!
Tramadol doesn't have seratonin in it - it is actually a synthetic opioid that effects the seratonin part of your brain (it also effects other parts).

That means that not only does it provide pain relief - but it is also an anti-depressant -- this doesn't mean that anti-depressants are pain killers (though it can reduce pain in some people).

The biggest thing about Tramadol and SSRI's is you shouldn't take them at the same time as it can cause Seratonin ?hyper? toxidity.

You can get more info about Tramadol here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

and Celexa here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celexa
Great explanation! I will look at those web sites.
She knew I was using an SSRI. So she wasn't supposed to do that?
have any of you that have gone CT for very long had a problem with sneezing? sometimes i start sneezing and cant stop. didnt have that prob wheni was on the pills
Some doctors should be put in jail! I swear, that makes me so angry. I guess it's always up to us to check this stuff out. Thank God for the internet. I bet bad doctors hate the internet!
Ggin - I once had a Dr Rx me Lexapro for 'generalized anxiety disorder' (which I don't think I have -- I may get anxiety attacks every once in awhile, but it doesn't happen daily) -- this, not 5 minutes after I told them I was WD'ing from Vicodin, and using Tramadol to help with my pain, and reduce WDs.

I probably found 5 websites (rx.com - webmd - etc...) that listed a potential for severe reactions between the two medications -- and yea, seratonin syndrome is what it was - thanks for jogging my foggy memory. :)

Jeff -- sneezing was normally done for me by the end of day 2-3 -- but this last time, I sneezed for 2 weeks, pretty bad - I blamed allergies while at work. I still sneeze daily, but probably no more than 6ish times (my body never seems to be satisfied sneezing only once -- it insists to do two in a row all the time heh).
My doc had done this to me also. They can cause Serotonin Syndrome when taken together and lowers your seizure threashold.
Interesting...I'm taking tramadol for my back pain (50mg 3x/day) and also take zoloft and klonipin, occcasionally.  Thanks for that info.  I hope to be off the tramadol in another couple weeks, but I think I'll call the doctor.  Oh, he also gave me soma which turns me into a zombie when combined with tramadol.

Jim