Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol and antidepressants?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol and antidepressants?

I read in one of the threads that you can't mix tramadol and antidepressants.  Is this true? What are the risks?
My Dr. has me on both - I am trying to very slowly cut back on the Tram.  I pill every week.  I know it is painfully slow - but it is all I am able to do right now.  I am working on alternative pain management  methods, and getting the courage up to dump the pills once and for all.
You may be more likely to have a seizure while taking tramadol if you have a history of seizures or head injury, a metabolic disorder, or if you are taking certain medicines such as antidepressants, muscle relaxers, or medicine for nausea and vomiting. (drugs.com)

Starting tomorrow, for two days, we will have a Community Leader from the Pain Management forum here to answer our questions.
What is the Antidepressant that is being used w/ Tramadola nd how much Tramadol are you taking?

I'm on day 13 of cold turkey from tramadol and my doctors mixed it with mannyyy different drugs, including muscle relaxants.

I was taking  6 Tramadols a day at the end. That was for about 4 months? I started 3-4 years ago at one pill a day. Then two and mainly 4.

Foe me. the withdrawal was worse than any opiate I have been on; and that w/d was always cold turkey. So ... tramadol is a bad bad bad drug. They tell you it is not a Narcotic. Sweden in May re-classified it as a dangerous narcotic. Here they pass it out like it is free candy for the people in chronic pain. Oh no they say it isn't addictive and you won't have withdrawal. OK. LIARS!

I'm awake at 3am with a terrible headache from this perfectly safe drug. Tramadol it's a Beotchh!

I hope you get off them.

Love,
Emily
Yes it can rasie you sezuire chances ....

Also  just as scary there is somthing called  Serotionin syndrome  

Serotonin syndrome is a life-threatening drug reaction that causes the body to have too much serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells.

Serotonin syndrome most often occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time. The drugs cause too much serotonin to be released or to remain in the brain area.