Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol or Benzo Wihtdrawa?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol or Benzo Wihtdrawa?

I am on day 9 of benzo withdrawal and have been taking 50-200mg/day/x 3 years.  How do I know if I am still feeling the effects of benzo withdrawal vs tramadol?
That's difficult to answer without more information.  No benzo for 9 days? Did you taper off?  Are you still taking the Tramadol?

What are some of your symptoms?
Still taking tramadol, 50-150/day, off benzos with vistaril.  Afraid to stop taking tramadol.  Feel  like I'm going to crawl out of my skin in the AM and have it at times throughout the day.
Yes, stay in one thread. I thought you went off Tramadol too when I replied to your other post.

Benzo withdrawals can cause seizures or even death. I wouldn't recommend stopping Tramadol too. It's going to be bad enough as it is, believe me, and stopping Tramadol now would only make it worse.
Okay. It's the Tramadol. You're tapering your dose too quickly so cut back in smaller amounts over a longer period of time. For now, stay where you are until you feel better.

For that skin crawling feeling do this:

Get some Hylands Restfull Legs at Walmart/Walgreens. Take a combo cal/mag/potassium supplement twice a day. Buy some Epsom salts and poor that into a hot bath several times a day and soak. Your body will absorb the magnesium in the salts and you'll feel MUCH better!

These things work well for most and I hope they work for you! Let us know...
* Benzo withdrawal is problematic only if you stop abruptly-
My own personal experience with benzo withdrawal is that cold turkey is not a viable option.  I tried this and I was as sick as I've ever been in my life, not only physically but mentally.  For some people, benzo withdrawal can be problematic even on a reasonably slow taper, much depends on the person, dose and how long they've been on it.

I think for most people though, if you work with a doctor and taper over a period of months, you shouldn't expect many problems and in many cases, you can remain symptom free.  Just like some people are very sensative to certain drugs or foods, there are some people who simply don't tolerate tapers very well and will have symptoms.  The only real danger is going cold turkey or taking huge dose cuts, say from 4 mg a day (xanax) to 1 or 2 mg a day over a short period of time.
HI,
I had benzo withdraws one time when the pharm and doctor could get on the same page. During those couple days, I had weird body aches, stomach cramps and I felt dizzy. I really wish I had never gotten involved with benzos. since early June i have been tapering. Not overly successful. But no big physical problems. I would like to keep hearing about your progress. You seem very strong. I wish for you more then anything to be free of this.
Laura
Hello! On day 15 of benzo withdrawal and have tapered from 250mg/day tramadol to 175mg/day over 1 week  which has been more painful than benzo detox.  Glad I was given all the info I was given from all of you.  Still have a way to go with the trams but now I know I will get there.  Weaning slowly, don't want to tip my bi-polar any more than I already have.  Am I tapering too slow?  Just don't think I can tolerate any quicker taper.  What do you think?
I think you have to do the taper that is best for you. Everyone is different and if this is working for you then go for it. the fact that you are sticking to it is wonderful. Keep up the good work and stay strong!!
Okee doke!  I'll keep posting on my progress.  Can't tell you what a great support this sight has been!
Actually, I think your taper is way too fast. Cutting your dose in half is too much. That's why you feel awful.

Only drop by small amounts and wait a while between drops. I think that would work better for you. Take it slow; there's no need to be in a hurry. The whole point of a taper is to feel comfortable during the detox process. But, it has to be slow...
Thanks so much!  I'll stay where I'm at for awhile.
Great! And then drop only a small amount instead of half the entire dose!

Good luck
Having slight discomfort around liver area.  Is this common?
Also, I am craving salt!  Is this also normal??
No and not really.

The liver tenderness is a concern. You need to get that evaluated.
Are you drinking enough?  Craving salt happens to everyone but how bad is it?  
Don't take in too much. Watch your BP.

Let your doctor know about this as soon as you can, okay?
Not that bad.  Am just now really able to taste the flavor of food.  See MD on Thurs