Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol

My doctor has decided to change my meds for pain to Tramadol.  I have a history of drug abuse, and am concern as to whether this drug as any better then a narcotic or if is still a type of narcotic....Any info on a possible addiction to it would be apreciated.  I do not want to have to go throw another bout of additction.
I also have a history of addiction and abuse and get perscribed tramadol for lower back pain. Tramadol is as far as im aware addictive, it gets you high if you abuse it. If you feel you are likely to abuse it then i would advise you be straight with your doc. Taken properly there is no problem but over long term or in the event of  bingeing, be very wary.

Good luck.
There is quite a lot of information on medhelp concerning tramadol.......avisg has a gob on her personal area and there is a lot in the Health Pages.  There definitely exists the possibility of abuse and addiction with this drug. And its not any better than the other narcotics - just different. But it comes with its own sets of problems.......  Read up on it...
Good afternoon,

I am recovering from Tramadol addiction and it is just as bad as Percs for me. l was told by my Dr. it wasnt addictive which was a total lie.  Just be careful and do some research on it.

Good Luck
Please be extremely careful with the Tramadol.  I used it for perhaps a year AS PRESCRIBED, and because I was still reporting pain, my doctor moved me up to Vicodin.  I had a very tough time adjusting to doing without the Tramadol.  I know the drug has effects on the brain chemicals similar to SSRIs - it made me feel GREAT!  Not "high", just very, very good.  Any doctor who tells you that it is non-addictive should speak to a pharmacist.  I will never touch the stuff again (I have my hands full with my benzo problem), nor am I refilling my Vicodin script.  I feel so fortunate not to have been taken hostage by the Vicodin too.  I think if I continue to use it, it too will become a monkey on my back.

I have visited SO many addiction sites and while I can't provide links because I don't remember the name of the sites, and I have decided to park myself here for the duration, I can tell you that I read over and over how so many people had the same experience with Tramadol as I had.

Good Luck.
I don't blame the doctors for trying to prescribe a suitable alternative for narcotics.The properties of tramadol sound ideal for pain,antidepressant effects,weight loss and pain relief and considered a non narcotic.Perfect drug....wrong..Even if the regulators do not consider it a narcotic.It binds to opiate receptors.That is an opiate drug in my books..It will probably be moved to the narcotic list soon(I hope).Don't be lulled into thinking this drug is not as addicting because it is at least as addicting as narcotics.The drug companies have given everyone a piece of crock by touting this drug as being nonaddicting.It is really tough when one has pain and can not control it.Narcotics are useful in their place for short term pain relief,but chronic pain is hard to treat.Most times even narcotics do not keep the pain away because of tolerance and more is needed to get relief and then withdrawal occurs between doses.Tramadol has more interactions with other meds than even Tylenol 3.Rebound pain occurs with narcotics and is constant.If you can withdraw slowly from narcs perhaps after the rebound pain has subsided just plain old tylenol and advil and muscle relaxants will help the pain.One does not get rebound pain from them because they do not affect the opiate receptors.
Actually I was wrong when I said ibuprofen does not cause rebound pain,It also can,but I don't think it isnot as bad as narcotic rebound pain.Caffeine is bad for rebound headaches.My own experience has been that my pain from RA often subsides on its own with no pain pills and the longer I prolong taking anything,the pain subsides meanwhile or the ibuprofen works better.