Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol

Hi. I have been taking 200mg of tramadol everyday for a year for back pain, and I was wondering is this a lot? And how bad will the withdrawal be on this dosage? Thanks for ur time!!
I was on them for migraines and i was on 50mg for about 11 months and the wd was pretty bad!  It lasted about 4-10 days i recommended u speaking to ur dr to taper down.
Ok cheers thanks for the advice. Do ya mind telling me how many u took per day?
Long-term use of high doses of Tramadol may be associated with physical dependence and a withdrawal syndrome.Tramadol causes typical opiate-like withdrawal symptoms as well as atypical withdrawal symptoms including seizures. The atypical withdrawal symptoms are probably related to tramadol's effect on serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake.

Symptoms may include those of SSRI discontinuation syndrome, such as anxiety, depression, anguish, severe mood swings, aggressiveness, brain "zaps", electric-shock-like sensations throughout the body, paresthesias, sweating, palpitations, restless legs syndrome, sneezing, insomnia, vivid dreams or nightmares, micropsia and/or macropsia, tremors, and headache among others.

In most cases, tramadol withdrawal will set in 12–20 hours after the last dose, but this can vary. Tramadol withdrawal lasts longer than that of other opioids; seven days or more of acute withdrawal symptoms can occur as opposed to typically three or four days for other codeine analogues.

It is recommended that patients who would like to discontinue their tramadol, to do so gradually over a period of time that will vary according to the individual patient and dose and length of time on the drug.  Talk to your doctor! They can help you do it properly.
i was on 1500 mgsof tramadol  a day for yrs along with  150 mgs of perc/oxy/vic im now on sub if i were u i would taper down cuz u can have seizures from w/d of tram
no not at all.. if i took it like i was supposed to it was about 3 or 4 but when i wasnt able to get heroin i was very scared of wd ( before i stopped using) sometimes id take 8-9 at a time and i kno tht its VERY VERY dangerous but i was scared to wd. when i was using it for detox i had mayb 7 a day for 2 days then taper down from there. now im on suboxone and im not allowed to take tramadol bc of the program which is ok.
Tramadol is terrible stuff, and ought to be banned like Darvocet.  Far to many people get tricked into thinking it is somehow safer and not a narcotic.  Phooey.

Having said that, you can get off of it, and should.  This is where you need your doctor though.  Because tramadol also alters mood in a different way then standard narcs, you can have issues just going cold turkey.  And when it's bad, like another poster said, you can have seizures.  Get on a taper with your docs and friend/family help.  Let's us know how your doing, good luck.

Bryan
You seem to know a lot about tapering down i wonder if you can help me i was taking 4 a day of hydrocodon 10/325 for 4 years  i started tapering down about abot 4 weeks ago the last two days i have been on 2 and a half a day i get bad with drawalls in the morning is it better to take a little though the day i take it 2 times a day then at night i take lunesta to sleep what do you think thanks