Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-217 comments:
you need to slowly cut back on this drug if you are dependent on it.for the people that
are taking 10 20 pills a day wht the hell are you thinking.if you are taking this drug and you think you are having a problem with it get off of it.taking more and abusing it will just
make it harder to get off of it.opiate withdrawl (withdrawal) is very painful and the only way out is going through it.there are no magic remedies to fix it.methadone,suboxone which are used for treating opiate addiction are addictive.you need to slowly cut back until you can quit,it will be painful but can be done
i am on lots of scripts for my bipolol. they just started me on tramadol a month ago. i try not to take it much but finding myself craving it more and more everday. i seem more depressed and with the chantix they gave me to stop smoking for my emphzema , sorry about my spelling . this  has got to quit . cant go on much longer.. any help out there for me??
Unfortunately, for many years, doctors were told that tramadol/Ultram had little or no addiction potential.  In fact, when I was in medical school, that is what we were taught.  Now, however, that has been slow, though much more widespread acceptance of it's potential for dependence.  Every doctor has at least a few patients that come back for more and more narcotics.

I know that there is a lot of doctor 'bashing' about this point.  I do, however, believe that most physicians prescribe tramadol with good intentions.  If you understand, that many have always heard that it is non-addictive by pharmacist and pharma companies, they began to believe it.  Combined with the fact, that doctors prefer to write for non-controlled substances, like tramadol vs controlled narcotics and you have a recipe for the abovementioned problems.  I am not defending stupid doctors - just asking some of you to understand that there was no 'evil' motives as some have alluded.

There is now research suggesting that some people are chemically more susceptible to tramadol dependence and even to its euphoria.  There is even some thoughts that part of its dependence is not even narcotic, perhaps the rapid acting antidepressent component, which increases Serotonin and other neurotransmitters.  It is chemically similar to Effexor.  This may be why it has an atypical withdrawal syndrome.

Personally, as a addiction doctor, I recommend people taper there tramadol slowly, if they are struggling.  Make sure you dose at a minimum of twice daily otherwise you will have daily mini-withdrawals.  If you are down to 2 pills, and yes, going from 2 to 0 is tough for some and easy for others, then you may want to talk with your doctor about getting a special prescription to have the medicine compounded into a suspension.  It may cost you more for the pharmacy to do this, but I guarantee, if you go slow enough, in 5 or 10mg drops every 2 weeks, that your tramadol dependence will be manageable.  I have seen this a thousand times.  Where most people on this program get into trouble is taking booster doses every so often, to get the high.  Resist this temptation.

In the end, remember that this is simply a problem of chemical homeostasis in your body and that it takes time for your body to adjust to changes.  Do not get caught up in the psychological 'BS' of thinking there is something wrong with you.  Remember, this is not a big deal and it happens to thousands of people all the time.  You will be fine and things will get back to normal.

Finally, when you do succeed, don't touch the tramadol again.  I can guarantee, you will easily get back to where you were in a matter of a week or two.  Fight this temptation and think about your previous struggle.

I hope you all find this helpful.  God bless and good luck to you!
I saw in wikipedia Tramadol that most side effects are caused by the withdrawal process
hi im like you i was given by a specalist tramadol 7yrs ago for severe fibromyalgia..i too suffer depression and on meds for that..i realized i was addicted about 2yrs ago...my world has been destroyed and im starting to believe its tramadol and the generic brands they give you...i agree gp's are useless when it comes to tramadol..ive even told mine im addicted and she did nothing, no other pain relief was offered to replace it with, they my gp and specialist put me on morphine patches for a couple of weeks to wheen off but they where useless so my specialist said ah well stop them and stay on the tramadol!!! joke ah...its only been at my request..my shrink said its not my area and fobbed me off, the specialist doesnt seem interested honestly and my gps useless yet i'll be known as a druggy! theres no help out here for people with no money..if i was a celeb everything would happen for me..but when you got no money or private health because you dont have the money their not interested your indespencible..one doctor said to me pity yo havent got private health i could have helped you!!!!! so some of us do ask for help its just no one wants to help...if i die i'll just be known as a junkie wont I..good luck to you
I became addicted to Tramadol about 4 months ago.  I tried tapering it down and I felt like I was coming off heroin, not that I've ever tried herion.  Even a small reduction of 12.5mg (1/4 tablet) generated nasty withdrawal effects, which made me feel like I was going to have a seizure.  I had to stay on 50mg 3x per day until I figured a way to get off this awful stuff.  I did a little research and came across a website www.***********.org.  This site referred me to www.trbhealth.com and I ordered their Body Calm product along with some other supplements.  I have to say this stuff was an absolute miracle for me because it allowed me to taper off this stuff in 2 weeks, compared to a planned 2-4 month taper.  If Body Calm isn't enough they also make a Body Calm Supreme product that they say is stronger.  

Tonight is my last 12.5mg dose and once I'm sure I'm free of all withdrawal symptoms this stuff is going in the garbage.  Good luck to all who are struggling with this demon.  I hope what I have posted helps!!!
Looks like that website got deleted.  Google "The Road Back" and you'll find it.
I currently am trying to quit using Tramadol. I just ran out and am getting very nervous because the pharmacy has informed me I cant get the next script for 5 more days. I descussed this w my Dr. on tuesday and he told me if I run out to call him and they would get me one. I called today and he isnt in the office and his seretary told me she couldnt help me. I have severe w/ draws from it. I was told I would be taken care of and now I have no one to help me. How long does the suffering last. If I goto hospital what will they do to help me.
Hi!  This is a really old post.  You will get more response if you post your own question.  The WDs last about a week as far as the bad physical stuff.  The insomnia and fatigue and depression last longer, depending on how long you were on it.

Just go up and click on "post a question" (green bar) and type what you did here.  That way you will have a thread dedicated to your question and get lots of support!!! : )
Stay away from ultram. Nasty stuff
What is Tramadol? Tramadol is a pain reliever that can help with occasional and chronic moderate and severe pain. It doen't cure what's causing your aches and pains, it just enters the brain and spinal cord and blocks the part of your ...

More your full info about TRAMADOL please visit -  http://www.tramadol-articles.tk
I've been addicted to opiates all of my life.  I have been addicted to heroin, hydromorphone ampules, morphine, methadone, hydrocodone, fentanyl, you name it but by FAR tramadol has posed the worst withdrawal experience by far.  I don't know if it has a lot to do with it's SSRI properties but I have a sneaking suspicion that it does.  Yes, heroin withdrawal is worse, FOR 3 DAYS, after that you start to feel quite a bit better but tramadol?  Oh no, as all of you already know, you are in for a long haul with this little *******.  At least a week of restless legs, arms, and 1 hour a night sleep.  On top of that you have less energy than a 120 year old man for the next at least 2 weeks (this all depends on your personal physiology and length of use and amount of abuse, I was at 450 MG 6x a day for a couple years).  I am on day 3 of W/D from this little &%$@ and I swear to god this is the last time I will ever ingest any opiate.  Tips for anyone out there having trouble, over my years I have figured out some coping mechanisms.  If you are trying to quit but still have to go to work and are scared of what people might notice, relax.  Just tell them you have the stomach flu really bad and try to get some sick days.  If you have any benzodiazepines like Xanax or Klonopin, those can help with the anxiety but for me they increase RLS and arms at night for some reason.  Even if you feel like the living dead, EXERCISE EVERY DAY!  This is crucial!  It will kick in those endorphines and get you feeling at least 1% better.  Invest in an ipod and listen to whatever music gets you pumped for as long as you can, even all night if you can't sleep. This is not easy whatsoever, there is no miricale way to detox, just detox cold turkey, white-knuckle it and get it over with for good.
Hello fellow sufferers of this hellacious devil in disguise, I am now on almost day 11 off of tramadol and I feel probably 75% better than I did on my last post.  I cannot stress this enough, you HAVE to stay busy, no matter how bad you feel and trust me, I was on gran mal seizure inducing dosages for quite some time so my withdrawal (cold turkey by the way) is as severe as they come.  EAT!  I know it all tastes like dry cardboard, just wash it down with lots of water like you're taking a shot of alcohol, oatmeal is an easy one to do that with.  It is so important to stay busy, left to your own devices and getting stuck in your head is TROUBLE. All it takes is a phone call to dude and you have to start ALL OVER.....not fun.....I don't condone the whole "trade one addiction for the other" but as I stated in my last post, most bezodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, etc.) will at least relieve some of the severe anxiety and hopefully (if your lucky) let you sleep for an hour or two.  I know you don't want to live like this, who would?  I sure as hell don't.  I have a guy next door right now with a bottle full of methadone and I have a wallet full of money but after the last 10 or so days of hell I went through I actually had the strength to call him and tell him not to talk to me anymore and that I'm done with this ****.  That which cannot kill you can only make you stronger, no matter how hard it is, in a couple weeks the physical part will be over and then you just have to be smart and not take it EVER AGAIN!  Well, I don't know if anyone is going to read these, I hope I helped somebody somewhere, stick to your guns and man/woman up, nobody is going to do it for you, this is your life and you have to choose NOT to take Tramadol or any other opiate, you've already know the eventual end-result, exercise that choice.  My best friend, my little brother and another very close friend of mine all died within 3 months of each other in separate instances, heroin and fentanyl overdoses.....it's not worth it, you only live once, make the best of your life.
Hello, just a few months ago I went off my script of 240 oxy a month along with whatever id buy after they were gone, I just decided I can't live like that anymore, did id cold turkey no drugs to help and believe me I know how you feel, Tramadol does help with withdrawals and no matter what anyone says it is still a step down and working on getting better, I started with a lot ten a day....(Im prescribed 8- 50mg a day) now Im trying to do fewer and fewer each day to wean off them. Good luck I wish you the best.
a week ago i taking 60pills of tramadol 50mg each and i was sick for 3 days but now im i so much pain i cant sleep my doctor put my on trazone 100mg to help me sleep but it not working i still have tramdol im mixing them and drinking goldshlager too but it still not helping im not sure if i should tell my doctor what im trying to do to get to sleep oh ya and i have NF  that (Neurofibromatosis)
I started taking Tramadol about four weeks ago,  for control of osteoarthritis pain (hip).  I was taking 50mg ,  twice per day,  not sure why,  but I developed severe nausea and disorientation about two weeks in,  and so I returned to my Dr,  and he changed me to a 200mg (sustained release dose) once per day.  I was on that for about two weeks,  and again developed nausea and dizzyness,  so I decided that I can live with some pain,  and quit taking the drug.   It has been three days now,  and for that entire period of time,  my stomach has been very upset,  and I have had diarrhea,  anxiety when trying to sleep, and I am just wondering,  based on what I have read here,  is this a normal reaction after only being on the drug for such a short period of time. ??
I know it seems hard to believe after such a short time on the tram to be dealing with all of this - but yes, it can happen.  We've had a ton of members experience what you're now experiencing after such a short time.

Good for you for quitting!  :)  (and yes, the symptoms will go away and you will feel better)
i too am coming off Tramadol, my GP has took me off them and put me on morphine, i was on 800 mg of Tramadol a day and co-codamol she said i didn't need both so took away the Tramadol, my god its hell, this is the 4th day without them she said i would not get withdrawal systems i hate to say she's wrong, but i don't want to go back to them now how many more days do i have to put up with these symptoms?, shaking,hot,cold,sick,dizzy etc and is this normal?? i advise no one to go on Tramadol its a really bad thing to get off sorry if im babbling
I've been on Narcotic Painkillers since 1996 following a terrible MVA. My pain was managed and it's all good, however I just had surgery that will fix my pain. so...
I was on Methadone for many years and once after about 3 years I was post-op and not in pain, thought "I'm okay so I don't need drugs."  Within in a day or so I started withdrawal, was clueless until a friend who is a Drug Counsellor at a youth facility where I volunteer.  I was also PISSED!   I had taken my meds always as perscribed and too niave to understand physical dependence.  So 8 years later and I graduted to Fentanyl Patches, much better than the methadone, but want to come of the drugs again, but don't want to go through my last experience.  I will get a Catapress Patch but am wondering what else I should ask for???  I have both Tramadol and Lortab on hand. Is there a benzine that will help??
Thank-you, Gaby Wilson
I typed in on my gooogle search" does tramadol put you in withdrawal"  it popped up with this forum, which wasnt what I was looking for. I am on a methadone program and was told tramadol put you in instant withdrawal if you are on methadone. I was wondering after reading your post and seeing you are on methadone i was wondering if what the clinic said was true? Have you ever taken tramadol with methadone?
I too had one by myself.  It was so scary.  It's called Serotonin Syndrome/ I think this is one of the worst drugs out on the market.  Before using this do your homework.  It is nothing like narcotics.  
I have been taking 50 mg  Tramadol  tablets three times a day for at least 2 months and i have had no problems with  addiction, it does not have any of the same side effects as an opiate. I dont understand how many are addicted to it.
I've been taking Tramadol since 2000 for Fibromyalgia, RA, and Osteoarthritis pain and Restless Leg Syndrome.  I have been taking the same dose, 3 50mg tablets, 1 at noon and 2 at night an hour before I go to sleep, for all these years.  I will on an occasion take 4 when my pain is unbearable, but no more than that because I end up with an allergic reaction to it, itching.

I have tried all the new pain medications for Fibromyalgia and Arthritis and the side effects far out way the pain I experience.  So, I always return to the Tramadol.  My primary doctor, who is also a pain specialist, monitors my use and knows that I will never abuse this drug.  His associate however, has labeled me as being an addict because I am taking the 150 mg a day, far more than the 50 mg. a day that she has been advised is the recommended dose to avoid addiction.  She feels that I need to change my pain management program and she wants to put me on drugs that are recommended as being less addictive, disregarding the fact that I have never asked for more or gone to another doctor to get more or shown any of the classic signs of addiction.  In the past I have gone off of the Tramadol to try other pain medications for several months and each time they didn't touch my pain and, always, my doctor at the time, would return to the Tramadol.  His reason was that, "why try to fix something that doesn't need fixing."

My primary doctor treats the whole body  while his associate looks at only what the FDA and others say is the best treatment not listening to anything I tell her is going on with my body.  My primary doctor once told me that no one knows my body better than me.  He listens to what I have to say about what's going on and prescribes according to what my body is telling me.  Never once has he said that I was addicted to Tramadol.
Please read all discription before talking tramadol. this blogs will help  http://www.tramadol-guide.com
trying to figure out what is going on with me and looking for some help. I have had chronic neck and pain due to numberous injuries at work (fireman) have been on vicodin for periods of 6 months at a time or more and have went off with no repercussions. But recently We were in Mexico and my lower back was really bothering me...and against my better judgement I bought some 100 Tramadol at a Parmacy. I took one and within 3o minutes pain had subsided...I took 2 a day for 2 days and then went to work on a 48 hour shift and did not take any while working...back was killing me during the shift and could not wait to get of work and took another tramodol...for the next 4 days i took a total of 3 a day...then when I went back to work, not taking any while on duty, at around 24 hours or so of not taking any of the tramadol I got very depressed and have many symptoms that others mention on this forum I do not feel like myself and very depressed....My question is is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms from Tramadol from taking a total of 17 pills (100mgs) during a time frame of 8 days? It has been 4 days now since i have taken them, and plan on never taking these again...any comments would be grateful

343
could not find an edit tab for my last post some corrections
neck and back injuries
and bought 100mg tablets of Tramadol

This is really freaking me out.... ex heroin addict, clean after 8 years and have been given tramadol and been on 8 the last two weeks.... to a lot of you thats nothing and good luck too you all who is doing their rattle! i know it isn't nice from my own experiences! i just wondered how long do you have to be taking them for before it shows withdrawal symptoms???  i certainly don't want another addiction, and obviously the pain it is easy just to pop them.... my doctor now out of hospital has freely given me 200 of them... am i best throwing them away! as i do quite like them too.... good nights sleep
dont talk such rubbish ive been on tramadol for 3 years now im not addicted as i dont take it every day or sometimes only take it every 2 -3 weeks,from time to time it did make me feel sick but only when i was constantly on them increasing the dose they are great for those that are in constant pain and bring great relief,i can help anyone out that needs tramadol email me ***@****
I was put on tramadol over three years ago for restless leg syndrome and arthritis. I understand what you are saying. I cant sleep at nght. I worry about running out of my pills. I count them constantly. I ordered them offline and bought from people that I knew had scripts for them but didn't actually take them. It is horrible and I still tae them on't want to give them up. I cant seem to function without the tramadol. I have slacked off but only because my financial situation has changed and I cant afford the extras. I cant get moving in the morning till my tramadol kicks in. It is horrible but I am not sure what to do.
tramadol addiction wrecks not only the life of the people who are addicted but the familys.....as well
I wish i could smoke pot .But then i feel paranoid all the time and mind thoughts start raceieing out of control.mabe ill give it another chance legally ...is it herd to get a medical card for pot???
thank you for the advice about your situation im currently struggling  with addiction i was taking tylenol 3 in got hooked on tramadol i would have never thought i would still be addicted to some type of pain killers
I recently caught my spouse taking these awful pills.  He had been to rehab once for vico addiction.  Now these.. It is unbelievable.  I made him leave.  For the sake of my children I can't live like this.      
My husband has been taking these pills also. I"ve made him leave the house. And he still ends up with taking them. He has been on them for five years. I don't know what else to do. My family and his family have all been by his side. They also think he dosen't take them anymore. Little do they know that he is still on them. We have two kids and at this point I'am ready to leave. Any suggestions.

23
I can totally relate to your comments.  I just started "moving" now this morning  ONLY because i've taken tramadol 20 minutes ago.... I continuoulsy worry about how many I have left or when I will get my next script.  Its horrible....its been my life now for years ....

jonny in WI.
Yes, at 38 years old, I was diagnosed with cataracts.  It was a complete nightmare because of this drug.
have people been know to crush and snort tramadol?
No, do not snort tramadol.  You nasal hell.
Tramadol took away my back pain and I slept good.  However I woke up with a stiff hand.  This scares me.  What do you think?
how can l help my partner get off it?
Viewing 201-217 comments: