Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol

I've been suffering from severe eye pain and my pain control is not working well enough. I'm currently on Dihydrocodeine 30 mg 6 times daily. And I'm wondering if tramadol is stronger, the information I've found on this drug conflicts and I'm just wondering if you could tell me if tramadol would be stronger than the drug i'm currently using and wether it is adictive. And what type of drug is it, the only type of drug which helps my pain are narcotics nothing else does anything.

Andrew
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I was pretty addicted to Tramadol when i was still using drugs.Although it is weak and will not cause any physical addiction ,it can be phsycologically addicting.I was taking up to 800mg per day of Ultram just for the high, and i got a Rx of 120 per month for over a year.As the Doc says above , it is narcotic like.
Besides an addiction problem with ultram, my wife had a "seizure"
(in public) due to the ultram, as it is one of the side effects.
Ultram should not be taken for nerves, hot flashes or depression.  It is very addictive and at the dosage you are taking you can expect some withdrawal after a month or two.  I would taper it off slowly and hope for the best.  Ultram withdrawal can be bad and can last for quite some time.
how long will it take to become addicted to ultram? it helps with my nerves and wiyh menepause hot flashes .i take 6 a day 50 mg each is this to much. it does help me cope with deperssion
Hello Andrew,
I'm sure you have probably received replies to your posting by now, but I thought I should let you know about my experience with Ultram (tramadol).  I was taking Ultram for about 6 months, right after its introduction, for lower back pain from 2 spinal surgeries.  During this time, I was also suffering from depression.  I was prescribed elevil (tricyclic antidepressant) along with Ultram.  These two meds didn't mix!  During the time I was taking the tramadol, I kept having problems with my tongue involuntarily jumping to the roof of my mouth while speaking.  I had no idea that these were mild seizures, until I suffered a grand mal seizure a little later.
I did receive pain relief from tramadol, and would even recommend it for mild to moderate pain relief, but do watch out for drug interactions, and stick to the exact dosage.  Good luck to you with your eye pain, and I hope this helps a little.
I have been taking ultram for about 10 months.  I have become sick to my stomach, have night sweats, extremely agitated including anxious over things that I could previously handle. I now have very loose stools since I have stopped taking it a couple of days ago.  My chest is tight.  I have had a major episode of depression and am confused about what is happening to me.  I am going to see my doctor tomorrow, but that seems a long way off?  Does this drug act on the central nervous system and how does it affect the dopamine level.  Could my feeling of heading downward be from this drug and what can I expect since I stopped taking it? Help?  I'm pretty scared!
What you are going through is withdrawal.  Although Ultram is not an narcotic per se, it binds to the opiate receptors.  It's action is such that discontinuation of Ultram will cause withdrawal symptoms.  Ultram withdrawal is sometimes more prolonged than with narcotics.  Your doctor may know nothing about this because many doctors think because it is not classified as a narcotic it is "safe" and has no addiction and withdrawal potential.  My advice to you is to go back on the Ultram or a narcotic for a period of time and taper your dosage down by about 10% every few days.  Or, if you can get access to it, get buprenorphine prescribed through a detox doctor or program.  It will enable you to clear the Ultram off your opiate receptors and can then be withdrawn with little or no ill effects.  Any more questions, please post.  Good luck.
i am detoxing of of norco, it is very bad right now, i dont know what to do, i have some tramadol, will this help me detox off the the norco? please help me. is there any herbal medication i can take? i have to go to work on monday, if i dont i will lose my job. please help me it is really really bad right now.
yes, Tramadol in small doses will help you detox off the Norco. Take one first thing in the morning and another 3/4 hours later. DO NOT take too many as they will make you very sleepy and feel dizzy. If you get any relief from the tramadol you should then start to take walks at night, drink lots of water and take warm baths to induce sweating/detox. Take them for a week at the longest and taper to only one a day..TRAMADOL can be just as hard to get off of.
i know exactly what you are going through. my doc prescribes me norco.. it is gone a week later i get 100 of them. the more i have the more i take. then when they are gone, i flip out. i dont think i can perform my job duties. its like i dont have the "energy". i wish i wouldve never started taking pills. it is the most addicting thing i have ever done.
Hello, I'm from Australia and have been prescribed Tramadol for pain relief associated with Fibromyalgia (chronic pain disorder). Yes... the Doc said it's not addictive!! Now, i don't know if i'm Arthur or Martha!
As i lay there with my skin crawling as if ants are under my skin and still suffering pain. My head is ringing! also i've been given a tricyclic antidepressant which is not at all recomended, but they still do it. I've taken my dose and kind of feel normal again! I don't know where to turn anymore. G.P's are f&%ken useless. Naturopath's too expensive and hospitals too busy!
Anyway... after reading this forum i'm convinced i'm addicted in some way!
Thanks for your time
Mic
I was taking Tramadol for leg pains. I have been taking 6 tablets daily for about a year. The only feeling I get from it is it alleviates the pains in my lower legs. I get no other feeling. My doctor has decreased my dosage from 6 a day to 3. This doctor has discovered that over the years the way I walk is affecting my legs. She is going to help me through orthotics. It will take a while but she is pretty sure I will be pain free. After reading some of the comments I am nervous as i had no idea I was addicted. I don't think about taking the Tramadol if my legs aren't hurting. I am hoping that weening me off by reducing the 6 I take to 3 will help.
Ive been taking tramadol for years now. Ive tried to taper off and the withdrawl (withdrawal) was to much to take. Im now taking 7 or 8 at one time everyday and sometimes 4 or 5 later that day. I know im addicted and I dont know what to do. Im ordering them on the internet and it is costly. I cant believe I can get this drug online with no rx. Its not right. Part of the problem with my addiction is this drug curbs my hunger it takes it all away!! Im able to maintain 100lbs. with the drug. Im worried about my liver and the side effects are really bothersome I cant sleep, I have night sweats, my eyes look a little yellow. This drug has never made me feel "high". That was never the reason I took it. Its always been about helping the hunger go away. Does anyone know about this side effect of the drug. Why do I gain wieght when I tapper down even when im not eating. Does it speed up the metabolism or what because it just doesnt seem like I should be gaining with the same calorie intake. How can I stop this. I went to my doctor a year ago and he tried tappering it down and it was horrid. He thinks I stopped taking it. Then I went to a phycologist and talked to her about my eating dissorder and then told her about the tramadol and how it helpped me to curb my hunger. She said that she couldnt help me and that I need to contact a rehab center but it was so hard for me to get up enough nerve just to tell her. No one can help me. Im not the typical addict you know. Im well educated Im married with a small child and we are living in upper class america the big house and everything. Its my big secret and not many know except my husband. He wants it to stop but he cant bare to see me withdraw. He loves me so much and wants to help me but its gotten to a point where its easier to just ignore it.
I know how ur feeling. I ve been taking tramadol consistently now for 18months. I used to take ony 4-5 a day. But now for the last 6mos I've been taking up to 20 a day. I 'm withdrawing bad rite now because I haven't had any trams in 60hrs. Im kinda freaking out. I tried buying them online , but i never received them. Where do you get yours? I should quit taking them but I'm not near as productive at work. I'm a self-employed plumber, and time is money. What should I do.

Freakin in Denver
This Drug.. Tramadol.. i wouldnt recomend it to anyone... pain or not.  I just came off it after taking quite a few a day and now ive developed sever panic attacks.... they last up to 2 hours sometimes and ive been to the hospital for them 4 or 5 times.   My heart races so fast im afraid i might have a heart attack.   When will this stop?  ive been off it now for about a week.

HELP
My over night meds.com, The meds all come from a licenced pharmacy in the us so you know what your getting. I think you should use this oportuninty to quit. There is this web site im thinking of joining turntohelp.com its a forum where as soon as a doctor in your area opens up he will email you and then you can go into his office to be treated. They give you new drugs to help ease the withdrawl (withdrawal) and I think your insurance will pick up the bill as well. Check it out it sounds good to me and I just cant go on like this any more!!!!! Good luck and check back let me know how you are doing!
When you get to the turntohelp.com site type in your zip and it will bring you to a page with doctors in your area that can help but above the list is NAABT right to the left of letter to your doctor click on that and it takes you to a new site you can sign up at to find a doctor to help you! Again good luck I think this is what I'm gonna do and I'll let you know how it turns out.
But he has the same panic disorder and he takes 1mg Xanax’s three times a day.  Is this a double standard? I think it is because he truly loves my and wants to live a long and healthy life together without pills.  I did this search to find a tramadol addiction website because I haven’t told you the icing on the cake yet. Friday night I cooked dinner, had the house spotless, had his favorite candles everywhere and was trying to set the mood for a very peaceful evening at home. I am content with staying at home now because I have the Love of My Life with me now and don’t need to spend money to be happy. Anyway, I brought K his dinner and I went back to the kitchen, grabbed my tray and started walking towards the living room where we always eat.  I don’t know what happened but I woke up sometime later with his sister (a Nurse) and the ambulance people hovering over top of me.  I was so scared, disoriented, and was acting drunk.  I hit my head and landed on my left arm.  I refused to ride in the ambulance and K talked me into going to the hospital.  I had never passed out like that before.  The paramedics asked me what drugs I had taken and when I told them I realized that I was a walking overdose.  I had tramadol in my stomach, Demerol, Nyquil, and xanax.  They took my straight back to the emergency room and took x-rays of my arms, chest, and skull/brain, everything appeared normal even though I have a big fall and I was in sever pain in my left arm.  This is the part that gets me and I don’t understand and never will.  The doctor ordered a urine test to see what all I had in me. That was fine, I had nothing to hide, I had already told them everything a had taken and I let my fiancé and my mother stay in the room when he came back with this results because I thought he was going to tell me the same thing I told him.  Much to my surprise he said I tested positive for PC in my urine.  I had never even heard of PCP or Angel dust or acid or whatever they call it and it was apparently in my system.  I was shocked and still today I am convinced that that test results were somebody else’s or it was faulty.  K went to different pharmacies and called them and explained all the medication I was on and asked would that possible show up as PCP?  They all said no but I don’t understand.  K said he wasn’t not worried about it but I better not do it again (But I didn’t).  He isn’t breaking up with me and I think he thinks I did it anyway so I have nothing to hide by telling the truth and the truth is I haven’t taken any street drugs since I was in college and I experimented with cocaine.  What do I do?  How can I save what’s left of my name by proving that I didn’t do any illegal drugs.  I would never risk loosing K.  I do anything and everything for him.  I do all the cooking and all of the cleaning and iron his clothes when we go out, wash and dry his work uniforms and all the laundry and towels.  I am in serious love with this man and I have no doubt that he is the one I want to be with for the rest of my days here on earth.  I want him to believe me when I say I haven’t done PCP.  I even let them stay in the hospital room for the results because I had nothing to hide so you would think that would count for something.  I also need to get off of tramadol completely.  He said he’s not putting up with this for the rest of his life.  I don’t blame him; he deserves the best as do I.  We have both been hurt numerous times and found consolment and a beautiful love with each other.  I am frightened and the most scared I have ever been in my life at the thought of K not wanting to be with me anymore.  He says he just wants the old Joey back. AND I DO TO. I hate having to take pills just to function and have a half descent day.  Can anyone help me?  Is there a medication that can help wean me off of this dang drug for good?  I am not going to loose the best thing that ever happened to me over pills that are costing us a lot of money and putting a strain on our relationship.  PLEASE HELP.  If anyone has some advice, any at all, please don’t hesitate to answer. My mom doesn’t think this is addictive because her doctor told her it wasn’t but I know otherwise as do all of you victims.  Im getting to where I can’t sleep at night, I am keeping him up to all hours of the night and we can’t even be romantic because the pills hinder me from getting aroused.  So now after this hospital thing and knowing 100% that I overdosed, I am ready to get down to business.  I need some help.  What kind of time frame should we give me to get off?  I am supposed to be on three a day but sometimes I take four if im really depressed or anxious.  I want my new husband to be proud of me and not worry to death over me while he is at work.  I wish everyone good luck in getting off this terrible drug but please don’t forget get to remember me and send some help my way.   Detox in a hospital is not an option. Can somebody please post a comment detailing how addictive this drug is so K will hear it from somebody else and not just me and maybe he can take some of yawl’s advice and apply it to me.  I am serious about getting off of it.  At first I just was going to get off of it to satisfy K but now I see that it is ruining both of our lives and I am doing this for the both of us. Thanks in advance Joey soon to be Kingston.
I am on my 3rd day of decreasing my Tramadol intake.  I've been on them for about 7 months and was taking 3-4 a day and on a few days more than that.  My dr. prescribed them for my osteoarthritis in my knee's, and Wow!  It sure took the pain way!  However, had I known the addictive nature and how hard it is to come off these, I would have never started taking them.  During those 7 months there were times when I'd have to wait a day to pick up a new prescription and there go a day without them. Those were rough days.. I'd have zero energy, could barely make it to the kitchen from the livingroom and got the restless legs at night.  I never put the two and two together until I decided that I did not want to be on these anymore and did some research.  I now know why I was feeling what I was feeling. So, now I am on day 3 of going from 200 mg to 100 mg.  I cut my pills in half and take one around lunchtime and then before I go to bed.  The worst affect I've had is in my legs.  I want to just sit at work and cry they ache so BAD!
Ooopps, hit the post button before I was done.  As I was saying, the pain in almost unbearable at times and I have to get up from my desk often.  But I am bound and determined to get this through this!  I am going to try and go a few hours longer today than yesterday before I take my "lunch" one.  Yesterday I took it at 11 and then took one before bed last night at around 9.  I would really like to go until 1 today.  I want to be totally off them and like now, but unfortunately I have to work and therefore fear that if I totally go cold turkey I won't be able to come to work.  I want to say that this forum has helped me a great deal in understanding that I am not going through this alone and it's also a place where I can vent and explain what I am going through and that helps!  Sorry for such a long post....
It sounds like you are doing great with tapering down. Keep up the effort, it does get better. I quit c/t a week ago. (In fact last Thursday was my last day on tramadol) I was on them for 3-4 years and was taking 400+ mg/day so the WD's were pretty bad. I still have trouble sleeping with my legs aching and I have "little anxiety attacks" every now and then. But like you, I have to work during this ordeal and I have done a good job of faking a cold until I can get my strength and energy back. It's been 6 days w/out tram and I am coming back to life slowly but surely.

Maybe you can something that helps with your legs? I was just told about Valerian Root. Last night I tried for the first time and it relaxed me so much. It was the best nights sleep in a week. I believe it's one of the safest helpers and doesn'e seem to make you drowsy the next day??

Good luck and let me know if I can help. It looks like I am just a couple of weeks ahead of your progress?

Bad Company-
Your post has sure made me feel like there is light at the end of this tunnel!  Yes, the leg ache's are my worst symptom. I, too, have been faking a cold because some of the other non-annoying symptoms mimic a cold.  So work has no idea.  I only work until 11:30 on Friday's and I am contemplating taking my one pill tonight before bed, and then not taking another.  I feel that I can deal with the withdrawals better at home, so I'd like to try and not taking anymore after tonight.  If my weekend is horrible-that's ok because I am home.  I've explained to DH what is happening so that he is aware and can help me.  As I am finding it tiring to just feed our 3 cats and 1 dog at night. So I have enlisted his help with some of my household chores.  My elderly parents live with us and I can talk to my Mom a little easier (or maybe it's that I get a little more sympathy) about this, so she is there 24/7.  She thought it may be a good idea to try it this weekend. What do you think?  My sister use to take Valerian Root as she is ADHD and that really helped her.  I hadn't even thought of that, and that is a great idea-Thank you!  I am going to pick some up at lunch.  Good luck with you as well.  I am so happy to hear that it gets easier and that you've come all this way!  6 days is absolutely wonderful!  Congratulations and keep it up. I was afraid to go c/t during the week as I had already missed Monday, but I think I am ready now that it's the weekend.  Please keep me posted on your progress so that I may know what is ahead of me.
There is light out there. I suspect you just have be VERY determined. This weekend is the perfect time. It is best if you are sure that you're ready. (I know that's very cliche-ish, but also very true)

I saved my last 2 pills for the middle of the night because that was the hardest time for me. But maybe everyone is different? I recommend the plan you have. Dealing will be much better at home.
What is DH? I'm not really chat savvy so I am learning along the way.
I bet having your Mom near you will help you. I've got an 11 year old son that I have to be strong in front of. I don't want him to see me as fragile as I want to be.

One other plan I have used is the "Thomas recipe", check out "Ga guy"s profile. He has it on there. It is a blend of vitamins and minerals that help to counteract the maliase and drowsiness that accompanies going off tramadol. It totalled about $35, but after 1 day I've felt better. We'll see after a couple of days....

I am so excited tomorrow is Friday. I need one more weekend to rest up and I have high hopes for a better next week.

This weekend is as good as any to get off this stuff. Just be prepared for a battle and you will be fine. You will feel somuch better about yourself  when all is said and done.

Dale
I am not too chat savvy as well, but DH is my Husband.  I will definately check out the "Thomas recipe".  I am very determined and I am so ready to be free of this!  My husband deploys in a couple weeks and I so want to be totally "me" before he leaves for 15 months.  I will post tomorrow to let you know how it's going.

I don't look forward to having to work like this and hope that the worst happens this weekend instead of next week.  I too have a hard time at night.  I can fall asleep, but I wake up a lot with my legs aching.  I still have quite a few pills that are cut in half, but I want to just totally quit.  Stay strong, we can do this!  That is great that you are freeing yourself of these darn things and that great that you want to be strong for your son, hang in there.   Sandi  
good luck to all of you trying to get off Tramadol. I had tryed many ways and now i'm at the point of getting professional help.
I tryed cold turkeybut after 60 hr with no sleep and know hope of it ending i hed to start back up
i tried to taper off very slow but after i got down to 6/day i was a phyical wreck.I almost lost my business and could  hardly get out of bed. I failed at this to.

The bigest problem is lost of short term  memory.  more than 50% of the time i am not able to write a phone number correctly after being  given the  numbers over the phone
I have lost sex drive. i have not drunk any alcohol ( it seems to start withdraw). It has also stop RLS
  I should have started this first  I am 56 yr old, i have been taking Tramadol for 6 yr and  now taking 20/ day
If you are starting to take this drug be careful . It create its on pain that you treat with more drugs.
If anyone knows someone who had tried Rapid Detox let me know
ric
my name is brendanand ive been taking tramal for 5 years for back pain from nursing and a bike accident. The most i have taken is 300 mg/day both slow and immediate release. I havent felt well for the past year or so but some days i felt great. About a month ago I decided to reduce my intake to 150mg/day . I thought I must have gotten cancer or something. I wake up feeling shocking, I have no energy, my legs drive me crazy.Unless I take the 50 mg capsules I feel lousy.Do you get back to some sort of normalcy when and if you beat your dependance?Do they have any long term damaging effects? when I told my Dr I had this problem, he dismissed it and I had no idea of the seriousness of my situation until i read this forum.Totell the truth I am a bit frightened. What can I do?
Allow me to share my Tramadol nightmare, which is about to end, as I am checking into rehab in CA next week (I live in NYC).  I was originally prescribed tramadol for leg pain associated with a herniated disc and broken femur.  This was five years ago.  Back then I discovered that I felt great if I took about three pills at once, 50 mg.  Now, for almost the same effect, I take 10 to 12 at once.  Morever, I take about 60 pills a day.  I get refills from my orthropedist and my GP, but mostly from online pharmacies.  I spend at least 1000 USD a month just to feel normal.  As has been referred to above, seizures, I have had between 5 and 10 over the course of my addiction.  This led to me getting a Neurologist who prescribed me oxycodone.  That just meant I started taking them together, going through 120 oxy's in a week.  If I run out and am left tramadolless for a day, I can not function in public, ie I am a mess per withdrawel symptoms listed above.  I will not attend anything, no matter how important, if I don't have tramadol.  Anyway, this drug needs more awareness amongst the FDA and doctors in general.  I would schedule it with morphine.
I am quitting Tramadol for the fourth time. I've been taking it off and on for 4 years. I know about the severity of getting off the drug as I have done it several times. Each time I get off it I find a way to get more (internet) and start again like a fool. This time I tried to taper off to 150 mg/day and thought quitting would be easier... it's not. Usually for me the first day is not so bad, (still in my system), but the second day is not good. It's hard to do, but you must stay busy, eat, and drink tons of fluids. Tramadol will leave your system within 3 days and from there you might experience minor cold-like symptoms and increased appetite for about a week. After that it's smooth sailing. I still have the bookmark of the internet place I bought the Tramadol and that has to go too. I have to cut myself off of all access and have told my wife and family about my problem to make it harder for me to relapse. This time I'm doing it for good.
It really confirms to me that drugs do not discriminate. Alot of us think that drug addicts are dirty looking people living in the streets. Believe it or not, it's your nextdoor neighbor, You doctor, Your lawyer, a policeman. They don't discriminate. My ex wife had a brother that was on the police department and I used to get VICODIN from him. He was taking them for back pains and surgery and he loved them. Finally he was fired from the department for things not related to that but they don't allow you to think straight and you make some really bad decisions.
I have been taking trams for 3 years.  I need to get off of them.  I am going to try and taper. i am up to 10 a day.  today i took 9.5.  from what i've read, a slow taper seems to be the only way to do it.  so i will stay at 9.5 for another 3 days and then decrease 5-10%.  then i will stay there for about 5-7days, depending on how long it takes my body to adjust to the lower dosage.  thought i would just post my tapering process.
And yes addiction does not discriminate!!  I am in the medical field!!
I am new to this board, but I can put my 2 cents in here.  I have a horribly bad back due to nerve damage from a botched surgery and before Oxy's trashed my life, there was the good old Ultram.  That **** IS addictive in the sense that your body won't be too happy with you if you just stop it.  Scheduled or not (and it should be) it does act like any other pain killer.  It works well for pain, don't get me wrong, but it's not an "innocent" drug.  Some of us are between a rock and a hard place, we have chronic pain and can't live without relief and I am one of them and I have been through the myriad of narcotics and now about to start subutex to see if that isn't a better alternative.  

If you have addiction tendencies, I would be very careful with the Ultram (Tramadol).  I even got sick when I stopped it.  (It also can cause seizures--- I know from first hand experience).  Just be careful.  Talk to you Doctor and voice your concerns.
I am new to this board also, my doctor left the practice, and some "new" dumbass took her place. I've been on Tylenol 3 for about a year after my knee injury. And even though the pain was not all gone, it did the job making me able to function during the day. Well, I went in last week to get my refill like I do every 4 months or so, and he refused to re write the script saying he doesn't "believe" in prescribing narcotics. The whol reason I was on Tylenol 3 is because of it's low rate of addiction. I've not yet had a problem and do not wish to.

He prescribed me the night mare drug known as Tramadol. If it isn't enough to question a drug with a word that sounds like, trauma. I took ONE dose of this horrible stuff. and let me tell you...I have NEVER slept so much in my life. I was totally drugged up, dizzy,dry mouth,constipation...this is how my weekend went. I slept from Sat morning 5am-12:30pm..woke up soooo tired, fell back asleep for two hours at 4pm woke up at 6pm, then fell back asleep again at 9pm woke up at 2am...fell back asleep AGAIN from 8am-3:30pm. I cannot even function on this ****!! How is this supposed to be "better" for me?!?! Then I did a little research on the drug, and was horrified seeing what everyone has gone through! It's  even more addicting than morphine!! Only it tricks your brain receptors. It IS a narcotic because it effects the receptors the same ******* way. But obviously the FDA wanted to whisk this one right through, just like nightmare Vioxx, remember that one? All the lawsuits? All I know is I will NEVER take this **** again! There is NO way I can function on this. Maybe it's time I find a better doctor, one that knows what he is prescribing and the side effects before hand especially if he is so concerned with "dependence"  I do not even care if a drug is narcotic or not, it just needs to work, and not lay me asleep for two days!! Has this made anyone else this sleepy??
Tramadol only made me sleepy when I took more than I should have, and not until the end of the day. I was completely dependent on the drug tramadol, I couldn't believe how bad it was. I took for endometriosis about three years ago. I was at the point of taking two at a time three to four times a day. At the time it was not labeled a narcotic, and I don't know if it is now. HOWEVER, IT SHOULD BE!! The first time I didn't have any I thought it would be no big deal. That was the worst 48 hours of my life! I didn't believe it was the tramadol, but then I had never been through withdrawals like that. I started researching on line and I was floored to see all the sites about tramadol (ultram) addiction. For crying out loud, I had to use vicodin 750mg to ween myself off of them. Feeling the withdrawls was good enough for me to never take them again. I am so glad they are out of my life now. There are lots of people that can tolerate them and other people, like yourself, that just can't tolerate them. There are plenty of other options, just find a better doc.
Tramadol and large quantities of codiene was my downfall yes I have all the syntoms you all have or had. Right now I'm on my 6th day all hurts but I know I'll get through it been on this stuff for years
and did'nt realise till after 2 sucessful operations for cancer. I was taking this stuff for back injury problems. Anyway I gave up cigarettes 16 years ago , I was an alcoholic for 25 years from my tours in vietnam. Now it has come time to give up these worst things. I went to a site rational recovery centre and I realised yes its true what is stated in there please go to that site and find the 28 bullets the man talks about and none of this taper down etc. Just say never again am I going to take this stuff. Once you read it you will understand what I mean, I know it sounds cruel but your in charge of your body , hands ,brain etc and if you say I'll do it tomorrow or even pickup a tablet your gone again tomorrow stays the same and picking up the tablet wether half or full dose your back on it again. please just say no more I'm the one in charge. Please go to the site that I mentioned and take in what I.ve said it's helping me. Godbless You All.
I'm a 55 year old male who was able to comfortably retire at age 49... I am also very prone to addictive substances. I'm a high school drop out who started with alcohol at around age 14. My alcohol use was quickly replaced with better things.Except for many drunken stupors in my teen years, I  have always been able to function superbly on any drug, most anytime, any place. As age creeps in, so does caution, and the realization that we are not indestructable. More recently, I decided to try poppy tea. Not bad, when you can't acquire hydrocodone and want to avoid the withdrawals. That is, until your dear wife says, honey, you look a a bit grayish, do you feel ok? Well, no... I better get away from this stuff... but I would like to avoid  withdrawals. In steps Mr. TRAMADOL.. I'm a safe and easy way to come clean with no ill effects. Why heck, I'm not even a controlled substance. You can have me in only two days if you order online. Great, Thanks for introducing yourself, hope to meet you soon. We've been close friends for a few months now, although I do not like the slight edge it leaves. I avoid jittery any way I can. I decided to taper off the TRAMADOL, but had a party time relapse last weekend. Awoke Monday 11-5 feeling a bit sluggish and decided to take 150 mg around 1PM, which would get me back on the road to tapering off again. About 2.30 PM while my wife and I were eating lunch, I was suddenly overcome with the feeling of, "I'm having a heart attack". Off we go to the hospital. I begin to get very emotional... I'm going to die, what about my family? I had planned to take my 3 year old grandaughter to a special place the next day... tears begin rolling down my face. Why did I do this to myself?  After a few hours at the emergency room I am told everything looks ok... you can go home now. That's  great.  I feel good too. Before 2AM I undergo two more of those episodes. I had a ct scan of my brain performed Friday 11-9 and am waiting on the results. My self diagnosis... Panic Attack. My conclusion. At my age, I am through with drugs. Too much to lose. Besides, the best times of my life were when I was clean and sober. Thanks to all you guys and gals for sharing your feelings and experiences. After 7 days of being TRAMADOL free, it's the leg pain that hurts most. Special Thanks to BAPZZY for sharing your experience... Looking forward to that smooth sailing.  Also to SNUGLEFL for the tip on Valerian Root. I'll certainly give that a try. My heart goes out to all of you, and I hope you find the answer to your needs. I view my latest experience as a wake up call from Jesus... who has patiently allowed me to run free. I know in my heart that all things happen for a reason, and our past helps to mold who we will be in the future. I'm ready to find out what awaits. I'm ready to live again. I know my wife will never read this...But, My dear, I am very sorry for the fear I put you through last week. Thank you for being with me, and for taking such good care of me in my very emotional state of mind.You are a godsend, and I love you very much.
Thanks for the tip on Valerian Root. The leg pain is is the hardest thing for me at this point. Congratulations on your decision to stop using tramadol. I hope you are much better by now.
i have been taking 300 mg per day for 6 months... is this enough to be addicted?
I ask because I notice if I skip a dose, my joints hurt and my body aches. I feel generally awful. After taking 100 mg I am back to normal within 30 minutes... I dont take them to get high, i only take them so I am not sore. Will i need to increase the dose as time goes by or will I be able to keep it at 6 per day?
ReggiGirl get out of there as soon as possible if you find it too hard to quit then taper down this is the way this terrible thing starts, before you know it you'll be sorry you started. I mean this stuff is bad I'm on my 22nd day and I went cold turkey I thought I was going to die. Aching legs chest pain sweats shakes and lots of crying. I'm 61 years old I've been through alot in my life with pain and I can tell you this has knocked me for six. Went to the doctor today to get something to help me sleep was only averaging 4 hrs a night. I'm telling you this so can get out of the trap before you suffer lots. I'm nearly there the doctor told me withdrawals are over ( which I agree ) but it will take at least 6-8 weeks for my brain receptors to rebuild. I can go on but I won't, please read these posts and take my advice get out while it's not as hard. Your joints and body are already aching that's a sign of addiction you'll need more and more to stop the pain. Best of Luck
Godbless
OOPS  I forgot to tell you I was'nt taking them to get high either I have big back problems fractures etc but I will bear the pain rather then go through this again, by the way I'm on my 24th not 22nd day.
I'm right there with bazza633... Take a look at my post above. It's been 22 days since my little unplanned visit to the emergency room, and I am beginning to feel so much better. The first week or so was very uncomfortable, but it gets better every day. By all means, visit your Dr. and let him/her help you get away from this stuff. My Dr. gave me 10 (one per day) 100mg time released tramadol to help ease withdrawal. However, I was so shaken from my experience and concerned with my health, that I didn't take one for 3 days. My legs were hurting so bad that I couldn't sleep, I was extremely emotional, and could not stop crying anytime I thought about my family, dead or living. I took one of the time released tramadols per day for 3 days, then threw the remainder away, along with a new bottle of 180 50mg tabs. Ironically the new bottle of tramadol was delivered to my door the day after I returned from the hospital. Dr. also prescribed some anti anxiety meds, since this was the norm for someone suffering a panic attack, which he felt had happened. I've had stress in my life, but I don't feel it's any worse than what most other people have. I had taken 600 mg of tramadol each day the previous 3 days before the "panic attack", (my normal daily dose was 300 to 400 mg ) and had taken 150 mg about 1 hour before the attack hit. I firmly believe it was a result of the tramadol effect on my brain chemistry. A good Dr. can help you through this. I am already sleeping good most nights, nuprin is taking care of my aching legs, which have almost stopped hurting completely, and I am starting to taper off and quit the anti anxiety meds. It's amazing how a good a clean mind feels. Please take this seriously... Nothing good can come from it, and you will eventually be where some of us have already been. I too had started on hydrocodone to relieve chronic back pain. Those were not easy to come by, but tramadol was. I was only on tramadol for about 4 months. I pray that you are not in chronic pain and must have the relief that tramadol provides, it's much harder to quit under those circumstances. My prayers are with you.
Hi!

You are posting on a thread that was started 7 years ago. I see that some folks have posted here...but they are gone now. Your story could help so many, bu this thread will get lost in archives because of the date started.

If you go to the top of this page and hit the "post a question" button, you can start your own post and come out to the forum. Hope to see you there!!
Here I am again, post CA rehab, back in NYC.  I've been off tramadol for about 6 weeks.  It was a piece of cake with all the suboxone they put me on... Now I'm back in NYC, off the suboxone, and all I can think about is tramadol again.  What is the deal?  I guess when your rehab is all about replacement opiates, you are never really off the opiates.  My CA addiction doctor referred me to one here in NYC and wants me to continue on the suboxone, but they are like 5 times more expensive than ordering tramadol online.  How am I rehabilitated if I am still addicted to an opiate, but a way more expensive opiate, not to mention the 5 grand I dropped just to be put in this new predicament?  It feels so meaningless that I feel like a sucker if I start shelling out a lot more money to still be an opiate addict... I am considering just going back to the tramadol and saying, "hell, we're all on something in this world, anyway."  Ironically, I mainly decided to quit tramadol b/c it was starting to cost too much...As I keep saying, how then is it a good thing to trade tramadol for a more expensive opiate that the doctor's would rather condone?  I'm a 34 year old Ivy League grad with a life a head of me...What pill should that life depend on I wonder?  What a joke.  Any advice?
I was taking Tramadol for one year.  It was prescribed because of leg pain I was having.  In the end I was taking around 400 mg a day all at once.

I tried to tapper down but could not handle the withdrawl (withdrawal) syptoms (symptoms) so I went into a detox center.  I was given suboxone for a period of five days.   I got very sick in detox.

I am tramadol free for around 7 weeks now and I am still going crazy!  Tramadol addiction is horrible.  I go to AA meetings daily and I am stil finding it very difficult.

I do not recomend that anyone ever take tramadol.
Hi I am a recovering addict who was recently perscribed tramadol because of it's non opiod classification. My doctor said it was safe, after taking it and realizing that I did feel a little sedated I decided to look it up on the internet for any adverse effects. To my suprise I soon found out that numerous people are hooked on this drug and the withdrawals seem to be scary(seizures). I am also that person you would never think is an addict. But honestly we come in all shapes and sizes and from every  economical background. I thank you all for posting your experiences with tramadol for I will know now to steer clear of it. I also have a condition that requires pain meds, I guess I will have to stick to good old ibuprofen and endure the pain. Because in all honestly it's not worth being physically dependent on a drug and having to face the consequences if you don't have it in your system. To all those who are physically dependent, tapering down is your best way to sucess, I have done the same with oxycodone. Even though the first few days seem like hell, it does get better.
I have been taking around 600mg of tramdol daily for around 2yrs. 2 weeks ago I decided I had enough. I was sick of depending on something to function daily. Worrying if I was going to run out at the most inoppurtune time. The worst part to me was the inability to sit still and relax. Constant skin crawling also known as the heebeejeebees! I tapered off somewhat, but nothing substantial, maybe to 300 mg, but just for 3 or 4 days then took the leap! It sucked.....painful physically and mentally. I just want to let everyone know who is getting ready to detox.....that it's only as bad as you let it be! Drink a lotttttttttt of water! Watch out for detox tea because it will make your stomach very sensitive and then you have a whole new problem to go along with your withdrawls! Let yourself feel normal! If you are in pain, from an actual physical problem. Then talking to a doctor about your issues w/ safe pain relief is your best option. To all you withdrawling now hang in there....it gets better! Everyday is better than the last unless you let your mind tell you different....because you will. Try to tell anyone that matters to you what your about to go through, even if you have been hiding it from them! Your friends and family's support is the best w/draw drug you can have, and I mean that! No sappy b.s! Hang in there you will beat it! Work out and be active as soon as you can...even if you don't feel like it! It will help with the anxiety as will anxiety meds only if really needed! Take care to all going through this! Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger! If you can beat this without going back then you are truly one of the strongest people around. It's not easy, but is far from impossible!
I am a wife and a mom and in 2002 I took tramadol for the 1st time. I have been hooked since, even though it gives me seizures, even though I have lost one husband and am about to lose another. I still took it. I am 3 days detoxified and lemme tell you I am freezing, depressed and I feel so alone. I tried explaining to my husband that pain meds take away not only physical pain, but emotional too. When I was at my high I would be up for days at a time, not eating and fighting with my husband about everything... What gives!?
How can I get this effn Sh** out of me!? I want my life back!
I hate the online ads that allow you to buy it and I hate the Army docs who keep giving it to me even though I have begged them not to. However, when its there and free why not take it I say.. Or use to!!!!!!
I am honestly feeling so depressed I want to end my life! I know it's not worth it, but damn I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!
PLEASE GOD PLEASE DON'T LET ANOTHER HUSBAND LEAVE ME. I LOVE YOU MY HUSBAND! I DON'T WANTTO BE SICK!
Not only is it addictive and should be done away with altogether but it is dangerous. Go down a bit and find catfish question. Read all of the posts before you ask to hook you up with some Ultram!
Heather, You posted eight days ago so I don't know if you're still trying to kick or feeling withdrawal symptoms, but I'm on a similar timetable as you are - started using Tramadol in '04, soon was addicted and taking 15 per night, and by '06 was taking up to 25 (1250 mg) pills per night. Two weeks ago I finally ODed. I was petting my dog before having a pre-bedtime smoke, and the next thing I remember is waking up in an ambulance. The good part about it is that it finally alerted everyone close to me about the severity of my problem. I'm now a week or so clean. The previous week has been a mess of freezing chills, profuse sweating, aches, pains, sleeplessness, restlessness, and iritability. Today was the first day that I've felt really good again. Now I just need to figure out how to sleep again. It's strange to not know how to go to sleep, it used to be so natural. If you can stick with it for a week I think you'll start to finally feel like you might get the upper hand on your addiction. Good luck, Heather. You can do it.
I had a copy of the thomas recipe but gave it to a friend because I thought I could get back on here and find the post from yesterday...easier said than done...how do you find this profile that it is in?
I am so glad I read this all about tramadol...I am tapering lortab and today is my first day...I stocked up on tramadol to help with WD...****!
Look in my journals for the Thomas recipe.
i am your best friend, I too in AUS got tramadol and an anti for Fibro, and my skin is alive, I am so scared I once thought that combining these two drugs would make me "hi", I'm not a druggy and I am terrified, my body is sweating and shaking and I feel like I am about to die, I "know" its a withdrawal but I never did anything in my life to warrant to be treated like this, I am soooo scared,
Bonnie.
i was abusing tramadol for about a year and am slowly getting off it it but lately i have been having extremely awful bladder problems.it hurts to urinate and there is always a feeling of pressure on my groin.i went to a urology center and they did a bunch of tests and everything came back clean.i was a little to afraid to tell my abuse problem because i worried he would just think negative of me.can tramadol if used in excess cause bladder problems??
you guys are uch fuckin wussies, try withdrawals from oxy cotin or heroin, what you guys are going through is a piece of cake. do your research, tramadol is one of the weakest opioids out there!
I DETOXED MYSELF OFF OF OXYCOTIN. i CANNOT DETOX MYSELF OFF OF TRAMADOL. THE MOST I HAVE EVER TAKEN IS 150MG IN A DAY. IT IS NOT EASY TO GET OFF THIS DRUG AND SOME REHAB PLACES DO NOT CONSIDER IT ADDICTIVE.
you know what haha you are full of sh*t about oxy and herion being such tuff withdrawals...I know I've been there. and what ever course people are going thru  AT THE MOMENT is the toughest. Ive come off almost everything I could get me hands on and I got my hands ON A LOT. Right now I doing CT off 20 tramadol a day and believe me AT THIS MOMENT it is just as bad as anything else. My fave was to wash down 20 or 30 percs with a couple 16oz Tussionex or bottles of Hycodan. What details I show you my federal register arrest.

Support these people don't condem
hang in there I know how bad you feel but it will end. One day you will realize that you are almost back at full throttle and (unfortunately) you'll forget the suffering. I say unfortunately because that is what allows us to fall back into the addiction again.

I am trying the Thomas Recipe and it seems to help...its not like I feel well but it helps. I have not had the luxury of not working during this and THAT is a b*tch. Its a lot of fun to feel this way and have to prepare a 2 hour presentation to present t a group of people.

FYI a week ago thursday I took 20 tramadol, friday 4 the none since. I have been eating tramadol for 4 years and I AM NOT LOVING THIS
I am in Nz and was given tramadol in hospital after a spinal fusion surgery.  I was taking 100 mg 4 times a day and was given an RX for more aupon discharge.  I do not have an addictive personality and do not like to take meds but after surgery I needed something to get me through the long recuperation.  I have reduced my dose of tramaol to 50-100mg a day and still feel that it is difficult to reduce it further.  I have not taken any today, I am trying to cope with nerve pain in legs and also pain in arms from peripheral neuropathy.  Today I can hardly get up out of bed.  I got up for breakfast and went back and slept for another hour.  After that, all morning, I have just been laying around and tired.  I feel terribly lethargic and can do nothing that requires energy.  Is this normal for stopping tramadol?  Any suggestions on how long it might take for energy level to increase.  I do not want to get into the loop of taking a pill to feel better beyond the scope of the orional presciption.

J
This is an old post. Copy this post and start a new one with Post a Question button.
I am at day 13 of no tramadol and for the most part am functioning. When I try to sleep I still get a knawing sensation in my chest that is REALLY uncomfortable and the "jimmy" legs and arms. My biggest complaint is the overwhelming feeling of lethargy, but that seems to come and go. But that might just be that I've been so lazy for years (I'm 59).

I am using the Thomas Recipe but I can't really say how much it helps but I know that I need vitamin and mineral supplements so it can't hurt.

NOW the main thing I found is clonazepam. And this scares me. I will go a couple days without it and sleep only a little then I'll take 0.5mg in the evening and sleep through the night and for almost the entire next day I feel fine. BUT Clonazepam is an addictive benzodiazepine SHOULD NOT BE USED DAILY OR LONG TERM. .

Well thats my story so far...
This is an old thread...post a new question so you will not get overlooked!
I have been taking 40 Tramadol a day for over a year now, 16 in the morning 8 on the way to work 6 at noon and a few here and there at work equaling about 40 or 2000 miligrams. I have come off of heroin, Xanax, Cocaine, Alcohol so I do not want anyone saying something about me being a cry baby.  Tramadol binds to one opiate receptor, Herioin, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Hycododne binds to all 4 receptors so you can only get but so high.  It is more of a mood elevator and I love being a good mood all day. It is so easy to get online it is rediculis.  I have companies filling 2 perscriptions a month of 180 tabs. and I use about 5 companies.  Tramadol is PHYSICALLY ADDICTING.  I am spending $950 a month on online Tramadol.  I am not exaderating, yes it is physically addicting and I am struggling to make my Tramadol payments.  And sick, oh wow sick is an understatement when it comes to withdraws.  I can not get the doctors to take me seriously because it is only Tramadol and no research has been done.  A doctor gave me subuxone one time 2mg, what a joke it was like taking fruit punch pills.   Do not underestimate Tramadol.
I read your forums, and just cry inside. I know exactly what it feels like Im going thru it myself ...I have basically been an addict all my life .. Finally after a tremenmdous amout of detox,aa meetings,support I have been cleanfrom my choice of drug for over 2 years now... Unfortuantley, along comes a problem with my back... Ive got degerative disc and the only thing that I can really say that works , is tramdol.. If I wanted I could get percocet, vics but I chose trams , thinking that wow this is considered nonnarcotic... if its is a supposed nonnarcotic, with little close to non opiate then why the hell am I gettin addicted for the high? I say to myself if only you can take 3 to 4 a day youll be fine and functionable... It started out that way, now Im doing over 20 a day, it keeps me motivated . it helps with my weight, id numbs me when Im having a hard time and I cant quit...so          enough of the storie what do we do to focus on this problem? I dont have time to go through detox and when I get out my back will hurt again...and I will be bed ridden all day if I dont get relief. Does anyone want to do this together and give eachother advice with me, or atleast one time advice, my marriage is looking to take a turn I cannot keep a job, I need some help  spatty
I took 100 mg to 300 mg daily from 2005 until present...

I took days off on the Sabbath or other days and took low days...

quit for a week or a few days every so often...

and then from the days before Passover until Easter quit in 2007...

it was rough but after a week I had no craving for tramadol WHATSOEVER...

the thought of Tramadol made me sick...

but I started taking it again because God told me to and said its theraputic and not a problem...("desire...especially that you may prophecize" 1 Corinthians 14:1)

its evil thoughts that come out of your body that make you impure not things you put in them...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and to Robspierre and everyone having a much harder time quitting:

(I have a degree in this field and did research and your doctors should know this below too)

you fried your brain circuits and they are weak from never doing any work on their own...

Tramadol has done all the work for your pain circuits...

give them days of 0 mg frequently so your circuits can get stronger gradually...

you can't bench 400 overnight...

just get your brain circuits to start doing their own work again MORE AND MORE

Jesus IS THE Lord
please excuse the analogy above...

"bench 400" means lift 400 pounds in a "bench press"...

its strong...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

also:

side notes to above post:

1.) do not exceed dosage prescribed ever (your circuits get damaged up worse and weaker and take longer to heal and get strong)

2.) make sure you take days off and low days (make your brain do work and don't depend on Tramadol ALL the time)

3.) get your pain circuits strong again
It's hard for me to understand how so many people are 'addicted' to Tramadol. I've taken it for severe pain for years and have no problem with it.

I take a total of 300 mg daily, and try now and again to decrease my dose but my pain is too severe. I have no symptoms of withdrawal at these times.

I've recently started alternating between Tramadol and a codeine & paracetamol pain killer in an attempt to lower my dose of Tramadol, thinking perhaps my body has adjusted to the 'high' dose of Tramadol I now take. It's worked in the past.

To help you avoid 'addiction' I might suggest your doctors not prescribe more than around 300 mg daily, give you a month worth of tablets, and refuse to refill prescriptions early for those of you who can't control yourselves. It's how it's done here in Sweden and I know many chronic pain patients who take Tramadol without any sort of addiction - we can't get 'addicted', as our meds are closely controlled.

Sounds harsh, but there you have it. I firmly believe 'addiction' to Tramadol is psychological - that you keep upping your dose without physical reason for it - and you wind up on such a high dose that your body goes through withdrawals - as it does from any overdone substance.

There's no need to be afraid of Tramadol - not if you take it as directed and only for as long as you need it.
It is great to know that you have never felt addicted to Tramadol.  I hope you never feel the symptoms created by going without this very powerful drug for several days at a time.  I can assure you the addiction symptoms many of our members are going thru are very, very real and physical.  Not psychological.  Crawling skin, nervous jumps and twitches, and physical cravings are all a part of the wonderful world of Tramadol.  Our pharmaceutical controls (in the United States) leave a bit to be desired or this drug would have been recognized for the addictive beast that it is and would not have had our FDA declare it is a non-narcotic, non-addictive opioid.  The manufacturer of Ultram did a remarkable job of selling this incorrect assessment to our officials and the medical profession or so many of us would not now be attempting to "fix" the incorrect information we were originally sold when told Ultram was not addictive or prone to addiction.  
Good luck to you and we sincerely hope you never have to experience the physical withdrawal symptoms of deleting Tramadol from your daily routine and the pain it produces.  Wings110
I've never taken tramadol but thought I'd chime in. Different medications affect people different ways. I was on vicodin for pain. It gave me energy and lifted my mood. My wife took it after her c-section and it made her very tired, dizzy, and hated taking them. I have a friend who was prescribed them a year ago or so for the first time and they didn't do anything for him. He has never been on drugs or an addict in any way. Just those few examples make me believe that what one drug does to one may not do the same to others. Our brains are very complex and react to things in many different ways. So what may be addicting to one may not be to someone else. I might be wrong but truly believe this is the case.
Although this thread is more than 8 years old, I really appreciate reading all of the stories.  

I started taking Tramadol about a month and a half ago for a broken ankle, because I wasn't sleeping well while on Vicodin.  50-100 mg every six hours as needed is the prescription.  I only took 100 mg with dinner a few hours before bed (if I even remembered...I'm terrible about remembering to take meds) for the first month, and then two weeks ago I had a really bad pain day and took the full dosage as recommended.  I slept better than I had in years, woke up actually feeling rested, could concentrate on my freelance work with clear focus and stay motivated, years of depression were lifted...etc. etc. etc.  So I started taking the full regiment, and even my extremely bad case of rosacea acne began clearing up!  A miracle drug at last!!!  

And then a week later I started getting low on pills, and my pharmacy couldn't refill my prescription for another week, so I decreased my dosage back to "as needed."  Unbelievably I had some of the same withdrawal symptoms I've read about in this thread!!!  After only a week of using the full recommended dosage (400 mg per day)!!!  The first day without Tramadol was fine, but the next day and a half I slept on and off for 28 hours.  As a chronic insomniac, I don't even sleep that much when I'm sick.  What kind of a drug does that to someone after only a week???  One that is too good to be true.

Thank you to everyone who shared their stories in this thread over the years.  Now I know what I could possibly be getting myself into with this drug and that I need to be extremely careful while I'm on it.  The scary thing for me about this drug is that it's made me feel human for the first time in many, many years, so I think I'm going try the amino acids recommended in GoingToMakeIt's journal to get my energy levels up, and I hopefully don't feel the need for the full dosage of Tramadol.  Maybe that will help me prevent a possible addiction on down the line.    
Hi  I live in the UK have been on Tramadol for 4 years taking around 8 + 50mg a day they appeared to help with my depression that i have suffered with for many years.  Having read many other comments on here and other forums of the problems with Tramadol i made a decision to wean myself of this drug.  I have now managed to reduce my intake to 3 + 50mg a day but the withdrawals are a total nightmare.  The anxiety and fear i have are almost unbearable plus the nights without sleep with the strange uncomfortable feelings in my arms and legs.  I had hoped that the withdrawal feelings i am having would improve as my body got used to the reduced dosage but to date this hasnt happened and i am feeling so frightened that they wont go. Has anyone who has successfully come off Tramadol had similar experiences? i guess i am looking for reassurance that this will improve.  I would appreciate any comments you may have  Thanks Rod
I guess I am a "wuss".  I have only taken 180 pills over about a 60 day span.  I ran out two days ago.  This stuff is tough to get off of.  I started taking it to get off of Lorcet.  I started taking Lorcet for pain associated with a herniated disc and complications from Spinal Stenosis.  I had no problems stopping the lorcet, but the day I quit Lorcet was the day I started tramadol.  Now that I have been 48 hours without tramadol, I am experiencing severe tunnelvision, no energy, and I can't relax to save my life.  There is no comfortable position in the bed.  It's wierd, I have no pain what so ever, but there is no comfort.  It's like I need to stretch my lower back but can't.  I am getting off of it now before it gets worse.  It makes me feel so good that there are others who understand what I am going through.
Tapering off of tramadol is recommended due to seizures...if you already went 2 days, i would probably just go for it and 3 a day is not a real high dose...wow..that stuff is addictive i guess even at a low dose..I almost started taking it when i was quitting lortabs but glad i did not..I did take one here and there until i started reading about all the problems people have getting off of them...have you looked at the thomas recipe and fladdicts amino protocol in the health pages?  lots of good info..it is to the right under DISCUSSION
you should make ur own post but yeah i went through the same thing your about ot go through cept i was on it for 3 years and somtimes took up to 12 i got on anti depresents and it was bad till day 11 then i felt soo much beter so just hang in there alright? its gets beter
i'm on 200mg slow release - then top it up with 6 -8  50mg  throughout the day.  My dr. felt it was a good option due to my past addiction issues.
Now I'm screwed - I can't function without it - the depression is crazy when I try to cut back - and it still keeps the pain at bay.  I know I take it because I like the way it feels - the extra  I take through the day has nothing to do with pain.  I have started to order online (not easy to do when you are from Canada) to top up my script.
I can't give it up due to the pain - but can't keep to the prescribed amount.  
I feel like I am in a no win situation

I have been taking tramadol for 4 years now and it is highly addictive. I just found this post and was amazed on what i read. The anxiety, depression, restless leg syndrome, etc are all true. I have quit tramadol 4 times now and am on my 5th time trying to quit. I went 2 months without it last time and started back up again when I get stressed with work and life. It is euphoric when you take it because it gives you energy and keeps you focused. I can not believe the FDA lists this drug as non-addictive because that is an absolute lie. I always thought there was something wrong with me until I read all these posts. I am down to 1-2 pills a day but in my bad times I was taking 20-30 a day everyday. It is a mess to try and break and I wish this addiction on no one. When you try and get off of it you can't function. You feel depressed and don't want to talk to people. I felt secluded and had tunnel vision. I now exercise vigoursly twice a day before and after my job to keep my mind off of it. I get real emotional when I detox off the tramadol and this is coming from a very strong man that is not emotional. This drug will bring you to your knees if you don't have it. I started using the drug to help me get off vicodin for chronic pain from playing football for many years. It is harder to get off of tramaol than vicodin. i wish I never took it but that is in the past. These posts above are so true. You must continue to bleed yourself off of them from however many you take to less and less each day. I wish there was something that could help me detox from it but then I would need something to detox off of that. Weening yourself is the only fix and staying strong. I pray I can stay off of them this time. I am a very strong person physically and emotionally but this so called "non-addictive" drug is the biggest hurdle to date in my life. I am 37 this year and can not wait for the day that I don't have to rely on this devil drug. Good luck with everyone. At least I know now that I am not the only one out there with this problem.
Hi I sympathise with you fully. I live in the UK and have been taking Tramadol for about 5years and i wish like you that i had never started.   I never took more than 700 mg in any day and have been weaning myself off these sxxx tablets for the last 2months and have gotten down to 150 mg a day but i still feel like **** ie no energy, depressed, anxious, bad sleep interupted nights and a general feeling of being unwell which makes the days very difficult.  I was wondering if anyone else had periods where they felt "normal" for a while and then without warnings those horrible feelings returned again? this i dont understand.  I would really welcome any comments anyone may have.  I will continue to try and reduce the dosage slowly and hope that the feelings i am having will eventually go away but the way i feel at the moment i am not very optimistic.  Anyway my thoughts are with my fellow sufferers and with determination we will all rid ourselves of this horrible medication  Very Best wishes Rod ( UK )
First of all let's avoid enabling others by telling where a drug can be found PLEASE.
Next w/d lasts4-5 days and sometimes longer but each day does get better and the reason tramadol is so bad is it acts like an opiate and an antidepressant both. If you are 36-60 hrs into c/t you are almost through the worst of it.
I promise it does get better. I went c/t 12 days ago with no other option available it is not fun but doable. However I would suggest you read learn and then make an informed decision best suited for you.
Good luck to all and God bless.
After reading about your episodes w/ Tramadol and we are similar in backgrounds & lifestyle, I wanted to know how you are doing? I have been takin 6-8 50 mg / day for my pain osteoarthritis . When I don't take any---,I feel like my back is going to crumble and I can't really accomplish anything!! I am self-employed and can't afford to be hurting,so I take my Tramadol , and now I need more than my monthly prescription.!! HELP. Any suggestions?

cookie
I'm now about 6 months taking tramacet (37.5mg tramadol + acetaminophen combo).
I take an average of 100 mg tramadol a day altogether.
I say an 'average' because I have figured out ways to regulate and work this best over a work week.
Monday I will take two. First as i start work and second tablet around lunchtime.
That gets me through the pain and when Im home (about time its wearing off) I just rely on rest and baths etc.
Tuesday might be 2 and a half pill at end of work day.
Wed  2 pills at work but one at end of work day.
Thursday 2 and then half pill at end of work day.
Friday 2 pills through work day.
Saturday.. I take just one in afternoon.
Sunday - zero. just load on rest and relaxation and baths etc.
Ok,
So what I find is that by the next Monday those two pills are just as effective as the last week.
I don't need any more than those 2 pills to get the same effect.
That assures me Im not getting addicted in the sense where you start needing more and more to get the same effect as before.
Now,
I do want to add something already mentioned by one of the Scandinavians here but I agreed with my Doctor to get one month prescriptions of 60 pills.
And like in Sweden we have the rule that if you run out you cannot refill until that month is finished.
Now Im not good at math but all I know is that I end up with 2-3 days with no tramadol... not to mention there always seems to be some delay with pharmacist or booking appointments so it might be 5-6 days.
Well this is good because then I take a break for that week. I definitely notice the pain shooting back so I try and time it for a weekend and compensate with good old advil liquigels.
Honestly,
I really don't have any withdrawals of any significance like Im hearing on the boards here but if I know I'm looking at 6 days without, I try and taper out those last 3 or 4 pills.
1 a day for 4 days instead of 2 a day then sudden stoppage.
Anyways,
I think the point here is that by mixing it up and taking more on the worst days but less or none if you don't totally need it for pain relief then you can keep it from addiction.
I did notice when I was in my first or second month I was just taking 3-4 a day no matter what day or when or whether I was in major pain or having a relatively pain free day and yes.. it did seem like I had to take more and more just to get the same effect.

My heart really goes out to those who got into that heavy addiction phase.
I hope my experience and my sliding scale approach helps anyone who is not yet addicted and wants to keep it that way.

btw... I remember I had to come off a drug once before (not tramadol) and also saw so many 'horror stories' of withdrawals.
I went for the 'whittle down' approach.. literally 'nibbling off' percentages of the tablets over a long period of time.. about 3 months in total and I don't even remember any withdrawal symptoms (not counting what my mind was attributing to it but was really just me having a bad day anyways heh).
So yeah, that really does seem to be the best way I know of anyways.
Even if you have to chisel off a tiny corner of the tablet so its 97% and then the next day take 95% of a pill and so on.. over 5-6 months or a year even.
I've been using tramadol for 2 years now. It started out with just a few pills each day, and now it's 30-40 pills all in one dose once a day. I have twitches and have had seizures due to this. I have been seing a neurologist who has put me on meds for seizures, and I don't know how to tell her that I'm taking all this tramadol. To make this all 10 times worse... I am in need of surgery in a few days to fix my nose which was broken during a fainting/sizure fall. I'm worried that there won't be any sort of pain relief for me afterwards. What medication will help me be comfortable after? I've been told that I'll be getting valium for 2 days and pain medication as well, due to the bandage being extremely painful. Will valium even work to eleminate my pain? I'm so worried that I'm going to wake up after surgery and be in horrible pain, and continue to be in pain because of my tolerance from being dependent.
You really need to tell your docs about all the meds you're taking. It is sooo important otherwise they can't take care of you. If you are honest then they will be able to increase your dosage so you won't be in pain. Your tolerance is so high that a "normal" dose won't do anything to help you.

To all the people who have tried to wean themselves from tramadol I think it's useless. The only way to go is to just do it 100%. Cold turkey is really tough though so I recommend medical detox where they DO NOT put you on suboxone. That is ridiculous and just trades one addictive substance for another. Go to a detox where they give you clonodine for the blood pressure, and possibly a low dose of phenobarbital for a couple of days for anxiety and sleep, or maybe some trazadone which is non addictive, but day 5 you should be off of the pills altogether. I took 25+ tramadols per day for several years. I had 4 seizures went to the hospital in the ambulance 3 times etc... so I know exactly what you're all talking about and going through. I went through medical detox. Day 2-4 were toughest. Day 5-7 better and day 8-30 just got better and better. Sleep was a little hard for the first couple of weeks but it gets a lot better. I'm now 8 months off tramadol and feel good. I go to AA and have a sponsor and don't use no matter what. The longer you go without, the easier it gets. And if you use just one pill you start all over again at square one which *****. Good luck and God speed to you all.
I am in recovery for alcohol and drug addiction.  My boyfriend was prescribed tramadol by a very "loose" doctor and could receive 120+ a month.  I started taking a few for headaches as he suggested, as he said they were non-narcotic and I did not fear that this would affect my recovery.  WELL... I realized that after I took 200mg at once, the feeling was similar to that of taking hydrocodone and eventually even similar to that of oxycodone.  Eventually I was taking sometimes up to 1000mg per day.  I realized in a few short months that my life was a mess.  I rarely ate, had no motivation for things I enjoyed anymore (ex. working out, mountain biking), I slept 10 hours at a time if possible, I was full of fear/anxiety, not wanting to leave my house or even get off the couch.  My boyfriend had been taking them for a long time (6 months) as he has scoliosis.  He had been lacking motivation himself for quite some time, neither of us thinking it had anything to do with tramadol.  This is a DANGEROUS DRUG!!!  I would not reccommend it to anyone in recovery!  Knowing the side effects I am experiencing now, I don't think I would reccommend this drug to anyone.  I have horrible insomnia, I feel "dope sick" as I would detoxing from an opiate.  I haven't taken tramadol for almost 2 weeks now and I still have pain in my lower back and legs, runny nose and headache- similar to opiate withdrawl (withdrawal).  I am astounded that I had never heard of ultram (tramadol) before and was so naive as to the possible side effects.  I am getting on suboxone tomorrow as tramadol has led me back into taking actual opiates to relieve withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  I am disappointed in myself somewhat but more disgusted by the availability and abundance of this drug and indescretion of doctors who prescribe it.  I hope this is a warning to all.  Tramadol is in my opinion... life threatening.
This is a very old post and yours will get lost. Go to top and "Post a Question' to start a new post just for you.
I too take the Tramadol for weight loss. It started last summer... I took it for about three months and dropped 30 lbs. Then, I withdrew from it in the fall. My doc helped me by putting me on Cymbalta immediately. As for the withdraw process... for two days, I had no energy, slept a lot, and had night sweats. By the third day, I felt a little better, by the fourth day, I felt normal. I knew what I was getting myself into and did the same thing this summer. I lost some weight but not as much. I know what you mean- -you can eat while on the medication as much as when you're cutting back, but it works right through and still helps you lose. Strange but true. I went my first day today without any Tramadol. I feel tired, and I have been sweating. I know I just have to get through two more days, and then I'll be ok. I'll probably put on some weight again, but at least I'll be healthy with no meds in my system. Good luck with your decision... it's a tough one, I know.
My withdrawal time lasts a lot longer than just a few days its more like weeks! I cannot put any weight on other wise it will trigger my eating disorder. I'm about 105 right now and its gone up a little but I need to keep it here or lower! I'm still taking the tramadol but not as much. I tried the suboxone and it totally made me sick and sleep all day! I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a very old post . why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself ...
Ok, so I know this thread is old and I would post new if I knew how (so if a new one is started someone please pop a link in). I guess I really didn't do enough homework on tramadol before I started taking it regularly (and I normally research stuff I take). Anyway, here's my story (will try to be brief): 7 months into my pregnancy (recent and only pregnancy), I began having horrible sciatic type pain that ran down my left side; I told my doctor of course they wrote me off as 'pregnant' even though I knew in my heart that the amount of pain was unreal even for a pregnant lady. So for a while I continued to suffer and then about three weeks before my c-section was to happen I started researching drugs that I could take that would likley be alright (since I was nearing the end of my pregnancy anyway) and I ordered (online) some Darvocet to take as needed until my baby was out. -I know; but at the time the benifit did outweigh the risk (btw, she is perfectly healthy and wonderful). A few days before Ella's birth I got concerned about the c-section and about the fact that Dr.s around here (I live in Seattle) are not real quick to hand out a lot (or even enough) pain meds to get a person through their recovery so I ordered some tramadol to arrive right about the time I would be comming home from hospital. I felt relieved at first about ordering all these pills; the darvocet made the last few weeks of my pregnancy much happier because it took away just enough of the pain for me to function. It was also the fact that  I was tired and the thoughts of aurguing with another doctor about my very real pain was simply not worth it when all I had to do was punch in a credit card number to get what I need. It has been nearly six weeks now since my baby was born and I am still taking pain meds. I ran out of the percocet for the c-section within ten days (gave several away and was also taking tramadol), then I ran out of the little bit of vicoden that I had to request to get (also taking tramadol) and now I am just taking the tramadol and some over the counter stuff (I also smoke a little pot and drink fairly regularly). -I probabley sound like a junkie right about now but you would never know it: my house is clean, my child is happy, I am an awesome cook and people tell me I've never looked better. I live in a nice neighborhood and drive a jaguar; my inlaws love me, my parents are proud of me. I am Molly F***ing Sunshine Perfect! -And I'm a pill head now who is scared to death to get off her pills for fear of pain and gaining back all the weight I've been losing (1/2 a lb or more a day for two weeks). I feel like a lie and have been getting more confused and concerned over what is happening to my head every day. I am taking no less than 150mgs a day (usually closer to 300 and probabley more on some days; I don't exactly know? I just ordered my third bottle of 90 in less than 6 weeks and I don't let myself run out). I actually like the stuff better than percocet because it doesn't make me feel all 'messed up' but I am already getting scared (I have a mixed history with drugs that curb my appitite). I finally told my honey today in tears that I was just cracking under pressure and that "I can't stop taking them". Now we are looking into trying to get me a valium perscription to help the anxiety. . .I don't even know what to think right now I just know my skin and head are tingling and  I only eat if I make myself do so. It helps to know others have been here I didn't realize what could happen and I don't want my baby to grow up with an unhealthy mother. I will be checking back to continue to read everyone's stories.
-J.
I have been taking tramadol for the past 2.5 years for low back pain and sciatica. Normally I would take about 12-16 25mg pills spread thru the day. Rarely did I exceed 18 in a day. However in March 2007 and Dec 2008 I weened myself down to zero pills. I reintroduced the tramadol to my body the very next day, both times. My withdrawal symptoms are confusion, disorientation, intermittant fatique, persistant tearing yawns, irritability during the fatigue and yawning and night sweats. Tomorrow will be my first day with no pills (took 12.5mg or 1/2 pill today, 24 hours after my previous 25mg or 1 pill) on my new ween attempt. I also have noticed a sharp increase in appettite, which is fine with me. I am in grad school I have only 1 class tomorrow morning and then 3 days clear to relax and tolerate the withdrawal. I am firmly committed to staying the course. I have no pills left and will keep you guys posted. I am glad I found this forum to vent this detox. My back pain is not as consistent and varies from low back to upper back/neck. I begin physical therapy tomorrow. I have been spending @ $150 per month on the meds. I am done! I need my freedom back!

Clear
I neglected to include that I am taking naproxen for the pain, muscle relaxers and kava kava to help with the withdrawal symptoms. I am also a body builder, workout 4 to 5x a week, drinking more water and stayin away from fast food!!

Clear
I've been taking tramadol I would say for about 4 years. I started taking it due to lower back pain. I've been pain free for a while now but got addicted to the pills. My withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are severe anxiety, depression, no sleep at all, this jerk like motion in my arms and legs. When I first took them for like a month I used to get a high off of them. Since then I dont get that, I just need them to function. Its a terrible feeling being addicted like this worrying about how you might run out of pills, if you can get another refill etc. With all that said I made a decision about an hour ago that I want to quit cold turkey even though I know what will be in store for me in the upcoming days(weeks?) I wish everyone well on here especially those who are trying to quit. Please do the same for me.
I been on Tramadol for four weeks at the dose of 50mgs four times a day, plus I am also on Dicloflex 50mg three times a day. Yes it does reduce pain but after reading these posts I am worried about the addictive side affects any advice please. I am suffering from Sciatica.
I would taper off of it NOW if you are only on 4 a day drop one pill very week until you are off .
I first took Tramadol in 1999, give or take a year or so.  I've been involved in pain killers for over 12 years now or so.  But the last few years it's only been Tramadol.  I take about 12 per day, sometimes 13.  I was at 15 for quite some time though (a year at least).  I have recently been wanting to come off this medication for good.  I'm all too familiar with the Withdrawal symptoms though.  I'm going to try to taper down slow, 1 pill every two weeks.  It should take about a half a year or so for me to quit.  I just hope I make it through.  I joined a support group online in the past to help me quit Methadone, and it helped me a lot.  So I thought I would join a support group again to make it through this situation I'm in.  It really does help.  I plan to keep everyone updated here, wish me luck, I'm going to need it, as most of you know.
If anyone would like to join me and quit with me, let me know.  We can support each other.
I have been taking tramadol for about five years but I limited myself to two per day.  I was getting them without a prescription from the local pharmacy, but the last time I went (to purchase 40 trams) the pharmacist gave them to me but asked questions about a prescription.  I panicked then and I knew I had to find way to taper off, but I went to the VA hospital and they gave me 90 trams and instead of tapering off I started taking more (up to 4 or 5 a day)  I don't think I can con the VA doctor into giving me more for the withdrawal effects but I'm going to try.  
I have cut down from four a day to three a day on 12th Sep no side effects yet. The biggest problem is my pain from Sciatica has got worst any ideas to help with pain please. Will reduce to two a day next weekend and let everyone know how its going.
I am coming down to 12 per day for good!  Starting 12/16/08.  Took 13 today.  I just hope my headaches don't get too bad.  Just wanted to post my update.  I'll post in a couple days, to tell how I'm doing.
I have been reading these posts for a while now - I am clean from oxy and alcohol for over 5 months.
Tram is another story - prescribed by my Dr as a non addictive alternative 3 -4 years ago - I am up to 2 - 200mg, and about 8 - 12 50 mgs per day - to be honest, the only time I pay attention is when I am running low.  I no longer crush or chew them - but need to figure out how much I take - where to start the taper.  I also want to do it slowly - the withdrawal from tram is worse than any I have experienced - I would take ct from oxy any day!  
I have posted that I am ready to do this before - but  this time I need to get free from this - my Dr prescribes pretty freely, but I still have to do the internet order - I am tired of waiting for the fed ex man, and trying to explain where the money is going.
My fist step was to stop the crushing - now I will have to figure out an amount I can tolerate to start my taper at - maybe doing it with someone will keep me going.
Yea I think it helps when people come together to do things.  I hope you and I can get clean together.  Curious how one can satisfy thier cravings for all thier addictions with Tramadol!  Like Tramadol is really the only pill an opiate addict needs.  Which says something about its power.  And I have spent one too many years on this stuff and meant to quit much further; Much Further back.  A good 10 out of the last 15 years on Pain Killers.  I started quiting at 15 pills per day and got to 12 for a little while (week or two).  Then I went back to 13.  And kept bouncing back and forth 12-13-12-13.  Well today is the first day of 12 and this is FOR GOOD!!!  I'll re-post again before bed.  (in about 18 hours) --- I wish I only took what sm547 Took per day!  I'll get there!  
Ok...took 12 today.  All good so far.  Not even a headache.  (Just not as buzzed and slightly less energy)  Maybe this weekend I'll drop to 11, early.  I will post again later.  
Took 12 again today.  Even a little more tired today than yesterday.  And maybe a little more moody too.  But so far so good.  I think I'll come on here and post when I come down to 11.  So as long as I don't have any relapse or problems, I'll just post again when I come down another pill to 11.
Today I have reduced my dose to two a day. Have suffered headaches over past week when I reduced to three a day. The pain from sciatica still bad but I have appointment to see specialist next week.
Wow...keep it up.  I know it's hard.  Two a day is so good.  Stay there a week or two.  Just don't go back to three.  You'll be fine.  I go to 11 tomorrow.  I'm still on track so far.  And have not cheated as of yet.  The headaches suck, but I got some Aleve, so I should be ok.  Not very long ago I was at 15 per day.  So I'm happy I'm making progress.  I'll update the board to post how my day of 11 went in about 24 hours or so.
I'm a recovering addict and alcoholic coming up on 15 years. Kicked a ten year methadone habit, wow was that fun, sat in a chair dope sick for 2 months. I have had constant severe muscle and joint pain for months. Immune system disorder. Dr. gave me a prescription of Tramadol 50mg. Took my first one with an advil a couple of hours ago. It helped the pain a lot but thanks to you guys that will be my last Tramadol. You reminded me of what it is like to kick opiates, and these little SOB's sound horrible--- I will do my herbs and advil and live with the pain--Thanks Again and I wish all of you good luck and God's speed with the withdrawal- IT does get better,
Thanks again Craig
I've been on tramadol for about a year. I think (no i know) its mucking up my body. Im taking them for sever abdominal pain for which i still do not know what the cause is but thats another story. I take tramadol with an anti-depressant and hayfever tablets. When i take tramadol with the anti depressant i shake badly and have involantary 'twitching'. If i take all three at the same time i  get the same symptoms and also i sweat for no reason (without doing exercise) and become all confused. I am a father of two (a 4yr old and a one year old) and they hate being around me because i know i realise that i have mood swings and me and my wife always seem to be arguing because she asks me to do something and i cant remeber her asking so i don't think shes asked me. I only came on this site just to enquire but it now im scared about coming off tramadol because of what i have read! It sounds like i need to come of them but im in a catch 22 situation. I either stay on them and let it ruin my life or come off them get the withdrawals and let the pain in my stomach ruin my life. WHAT A LIFE EH!!!!Anyone wanna swap lives?thanks for reading
Sounds a little like what use to happen to me when I tried Nuerontin.  Nasty stuff!  I would literally forget what I just did 5 seconds ago.  And wonder if I did it or not.  It made me very spacey.  I don't know how many Tramadol you have been taking, but I took 2 per day for 1 year and came off cold turkey.  The withdrawals where not bad at all.  If I where you maybe get some hydrocodones to help ease the withdrawal symptoms from the Tramadol.  But only use the hydrocodone for maybe the first 5 days and that's it.  Then go without everything.  That would work pretty good if you wanted off Tramadol.  Or Valium and/or Ambien can help.  Just don't take the hydrocodone, valium, or ambien more than five days.  That way you don't get addicted to those.  But also depends on how many you take.  If you take like 10 per day, you would want to taper down first, then do the above.  But whatever you do, you need to stop taking whatever combination makes you confused.  That sounds like it could be dangerous.
Took 11 yesterday.  Had a mild anxiety attack with a small stomach ache and headache.  I only felt bad for about an hour though.  Then I felt more or less fine again.  11 should go smoother for me today.  I'm hanging in there.  And the thought that every time I go down one (1) pill per day, I save $18 a month, helps.  I'm slowly getting my life back and I'm kinda getting paid to do it, in a way.  :)   Well I'll be at 11 per day until next weekend at least.  But I may change up my plan and come down 1 pill per week instead of every two.  However I am making progress.  I was at 15 per day every day just a couple months ago.
I have been taking 800mg a day for 3 years for unexplained abdominal pain. I was first prescribed Tramadol post hysterectomy. When I tried to stop after 6 weeks I got terrible abdo pain, sweating diarrhea and was readmitted to hospital with suspected infection. I had MRIs ultrasounds gastroscopy--everything to  find out why I had this terrible abdo pain and ended up in counsellingn at the Pain Clinic. When I restarted the Tramadol it all went away. I asked the Drs if mayb Tramadol was the cause and not the cure and they assured me it had nothing to do with it. So I kept spending 1000s of dollars to find out what was wrong with me. I lost my job. (Too many sick days).

Then I went to a ne gastroenterologist. She said afdter I asked about the Tramadol again, that m ayb the constipation from the Tramadol was causing the gut pain. So I tried to stop. It was hell-all the symptoms prescribed above.

I am from a conservative professional background with no prior exposure to drugs so did not recognise withrawal symptoms for what they were--although neither did any of my Drs. Now I KNOW that the abdo pain was CAUSED by the Tramadol--so please consider this.

I have convinced my GP of the addiction--she has been prescribing me Tramadol for 3 years. I have tapered slowly to 3  a day 1 pill at a time over 12 weeks and withdrwal has been hell every taper. But I can't get lower than 3 a day. So tomorrow I go to a residential detox centere--very embarassing.

While I am there I am going to write about this nightmare drug and try and find a publisher so everyone can know about what it does to people and also talk to a lawyer.  Everyone should do this. It is important that we go public to save other people and to let Drs know that the pharmaceutical company is lying about its non addicitveness.
It has been a while since I last posted, during my withdrawal, because no one else was participating! I was cleaning out my favorites list and I noticed some new activity here! Well I am here to say that I have not had any tramadol since Sept O3 and I feel great! Whew what a relief to be off that "****". I have been to the orthopeadist and took some 5mg and 7.5 mg lortab when the pain was too much. But I took them responsibly and I will not ever return to the tramadol. See my post from Sept 03 to help with withdrawal symptoms. I really did not think I could make it but I did and I am so grateful! One withdrawal symptom that I experienced that I did not see posted was how incredibly sensitive my penus was during sex! Man I could not last 1 minute during the withdrawals and suffered major embarassment when I thought that symptom was done! Anyone else have that problem?? Wish yall the best! I will check the forum and see how I can help! I know how difficult it is!!

Clear
I started taking Tramadol for severe stress headaches two years ago.  I've never overdosed on it, but sometimes I have started to take it even when I don't have a headache.  It calms me down and helps to lower stress.  My doctor said it is non-addictive so I've not been too worried about it, but now that I've read some things on this forum, I'm concerned.  The most I've taken is maybe 200 mg a day.  Should I be concerned?  Would you recommend I stop now before it gets worse?

Thanks.
- grc2003
My husband just had a seizure Saturday evening at our daughters 6th birthday party.  What a damper it was.  So very scarey.  Come to find out all testing were normal.  Husband was asked -on any rout. meds.  husband answered yes.  Took Tromadol today, drank hot apple cider with apple jack(alcohol).  This is what triggered his seizure.  Now, he has been off the Tromadol since then and going thru hell with withdrawl (withdrawal).  He just told me today, he has been taking up to 15-20 50mg of Tromadol a day.  Which he was able to purchase off/thru the internet - how dare this internet allow this to be done.  We are hanging in there, I am supporting 100%.  My husband had started this drug almost 7yrs ago.  Who ever is on this terrible addicting drug - stop now.  We have an apppointment with a neurologist on Wednesay and reg. Doc on Friday.  Not sure what will happen.  He is going thru a terrible time right now.  Loving, supporting wife.
Your husband will need immediate medical advice regarding a Tramadol withdrawal program as he will be at risk for more seizures if indeed he attempts a sudden withdrawal.

Tramadol is a drug that should be tapered down from then quit. Others have done a CT but a high risk for seizures does remain.

-Vic
i got out of medical detox today after 8 days and have had no tramadol for 4 days. I am still experiencing withdrawal but I am coping. I have been told it will be at least 2 weeks before I feel physically normal again. I am not on anything else..
Do not use this drug. It is highly addictive and there are more effective painkillers available for headache which are not addictive.
During withdrawal I got a bad migraine which is unusual for me so be aware that these can cause headaches.
I was taking 150 a day when i went in which I had tapered myself from 800. You will need to taper slowly to get off if you want to do so, to be safe. Have something else on standby for the headachr if you need to.
Tramadol should not be taken with alcohol-- the Prescribing information is very clear about this. If you can get into a withdrawl (withdrawal) programme I would recommend it. The support of loved ones has been very important. Stay strong, tramadol withdrawal is tough.
My story is: about 8 months ago, I was having tooth pain from a cracked tooth. Well my wife has fibromyalga (fibromyalgia) and always has a cabnet full of pain meds she never seems to take( they always give her too much). Well I saw this bottle of 300 tablets of Tramadol, I looked it up on the internet and it said it was a non narcodic and very little chance of addiction. So I started taking them for my tooth. After about a month or so I noticed the backs of my leggs were hurting but that went away when I took the Tramadol I also felt fatigued while off them. I figured I had a back problem I went to the doctor and did an MRI and nerve testing (nothing). The doctor wrote me out my own percription for Tramadol because I told her they worked for me. So after taking 300mg per day ( 6 tablets ) for about 8 months I was surfing the net trying to figure out what was wrong with my legs I stumbled across this site and it all became very clear. I WAS ADDICTED TO TRAMADOL !  I was going thru withdrawl (withdrawal) everytime I didn't take my pills. I am on day 3 of quitting cold turkey, this is a bit*h but doable. The worst part is the leg pain, no sleep and racing heart. Day 2 seemed to be the worst so far. Today seems to be a little easier. I'll keep checking in with ya'll to see how your doing. Good luck to everyone and God bless.
Ps. becareful with this drug it will sneek up behind you and bite you in the azz
Day 5, still kicking its butt!  some fatigue and leg pain left.
Day 6, leg pain/weakness much better. How is everyone else doing?
Well, after 4 days -we could not take it any more.  My husband checked himself into a Detox treatment center.  He will be there for 28 days.  He just could not do this at home.  We were at the ER 3 x within 4 days.  This is the only treatment.  Good Luck everyone.  He has a long road. Supportive Wife
Wow , 7 years, 15-20 pills a day. That is tough he will need lots of support. Im at day 7 doing pretty good. keep us updated.
Going into detox for 28 days is a good decision. I am now 8 days off tramadol and methadone which I was given to replace it while in detox. Even now I am not coping well-still bad stomach cramps, (buscopan helps a bit for this) nausea (metoclopramide helps), terrible restless legs at night and as a consequence very little sleep which is a killer. This could go on for weeks and is a huge strain on my  family, I wish I could have stayed in detox longer. If anyone knows how to help the leg pain/restlessness please let me know. dave 230 you are doing amazingly well! Great work. I am wondring if the methadone is prolonging my withdrawal symptoms perhaps. It is so demoralising to be 8 days clean and still can't sleep and feel sick and sore all day. I hope it ends soon or I don't know what I will do. Can't take it much longer.
go to your doc and ask him about mirapex. or if he is up on restless legs and you don't have the funds for mirapex, ask him about low dose of sinemet...
Elizabeth46, Im not sure if the cold turkey made my recovery faster or not but Im on day 8 and I feel great. I guess I was so pissed that I was duped into thinking Tramadol was nonadictive and let myself be a slave to it. I didn't even realize it at the time. I find that I have best results when I get myself pissed and syke myself up as if Im getting ready to play a football game. It worked for when I quit tobacco after 28 years of using that. I don't really understand the leg pain/weakness or why it even happens. I kept trying to explain to my doctor what was wrong with my legs. The best description I came up with was It felt like when you have a dream and someone/something is chaseing you but your legs don't want to move fast enough. I went for a 2 mile brisk walk yesterday and it felt great. Your time is comming Liz every day will continue to to be better. Every hour every minuit you get closer to the prize, witch is to be able to look back and take a deep breath and smile and say yea I kicked it's azz it was no match for me!!!  Just remember the old saying " ye tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil because I am the baddest mother F'er in the valley" You can do it!  God bless and let me know how you are kicking butt.
How are you doing Liz, are you making progress???
Day 18 feel like a million bucks, hope everyone is doing fine.
Hi I have been taking Tramadol for about 6yrs highest dose being 500mg.  I recently have managed to reduce my dosage to 200mg but i am suffering with terrible depression.  I awake in the morning with a terrible feeling of intense fear that turns into horrible depression.  Has anyone els had this problem? I feel like i am going mad and am getting really worried that i wont be able to tolerate these feelings much longer.  I have been to my Doctors and he has refered me to a mental health nurse to help me with the anxiety.and depression.  When i mention that i feel the Tramadol is a large part of the problem he doesnt seem to think the medication is a problem.  I really dont know what to do and i am so very worried about the way i am feeling.  Has anyone else had this problem as i feel so alone and worried for my sanity  Rod ( UK )  
Rod I would not put anything past Tramadol, it is probably to blame
You are not alone and what you are experiencing is common with tramadol withdrawal.  The depression and fear has to do with the ssri properties of trams.  Doctors don't know enough about it.  You may be reducing the amount too fast if you are feeling such extreme w/d's.  I would taper slower.  Some people believe that it helps to take an anti-depressant (SSRI) to help with the withdrawals but then you have to w/d from that.  My advice is to taper much slower.  You went from 500 to 200 mg. no wonder your body is freaking out.  I would go back to 450 for a month and then go to 400mg. for a month, then 350, etc. etc.  Your body will be able to adjust much better that way.  Good luck.
p.s.  The directions say that anything over 400mg. is not recommended and anyone with a low seizure tolerance should NOT take even one.  Once you have had a seizure, you have a low tolerance for the rest of your life.  Anyone taking dosages over 400mg. should look for other symptoms than the grand mal seizure, which is the only commonly known one.  There are many others like the poster above mentioning of the tongue.  Another one is the arm raising by itself.  These things might seem small and only last a minute or seconds but they are seizures nevertheless and should not be ignored and they are being caused by Tramadol.
Hi Many thanks for your reply regarding my probs with Tramadol  Reading your reply has given me a reassurance that i am not losing my mind. What is worrying me is that even though i have reduced the dosage the feelings of panic and despair seem to always be there and i would have thought that as my body and brain got more used to the lower dosage the feelings would reduce but this doesnt seem to happen.  Thats when i fear that i have done some permanent damage to my brain having been on the Tramadol for so long.  Rod  
Rod, Tramadol is a weird drug I had effects from the drug even a week or better after quiting cold turkey.
I two suffer from addiction,  It started with tramadol  and within three years i was a fulll blowen herion addict.  I have now been clean for 4 mo.  I had to go to  a treatment center it was hard  but let me tell you all there is help,  i do still have back pain but nothing is a painful as pain med w/d  i remind my self this EVERY DAY.  it is hard but very possible.  and yes i belive tramadol is an addictive drug when i frist took it I was no different then a speed freak.
Read this and the other posts and know that Tramadol is both physically and mentally addictive.  It is an insidious medication because its effects are subtle and not apparent to anyone around you and perhaps not even you--until it's too late.

It is different from opiates in that it is longer lasting, which can mean that the use does not escalate as quickly. Over a month or so 2-4 a day can double.  You get a little tired in the PM, another couple tram will pick you up.  Need an extra lift for that home or work project?  A couple more make it go much more smoothly

After a few weeks, you could find yourself in the face of a full blown addiction.  I've heard of worse, personally I tried to limit it to 300 mg daily, sometimes as much as 400, thinking that would limit withdrawal.

Problem is, the effects are subtle, a slight mood lift, an energy boost, but nothing like a rush.  You don't think anything is happening-until you quit.  Get ready for a horrible energy crash that will make you wish you never started.  Because tramadol takes longer to leave the body, the withdrawal is, as far as I can tell anywhere from 3  to 14 days to return to a level of feeling normal.  

You ever lay in bed tossing and turning every minute because you can't get comfortable?  That's what sleep is like for the first couple of nights.  If you can't sleep, the rest of your life is going to suck as well.  In addition to sleeplessness, excessive runny stools are possible for a few days as well.

If your job entails any mental concentration whatsoever, you can forget about work for up to a week, you're going to have to take a vacation to quit this habit.  Depression, moodiness, and crying jags are a possibility for several days, up to a week or more depending on how long you've been taking it.

It is possible to endure the detox on your own, you can do it if you really want to break the addiction.  I don't know how heroin users can kick the habit, that sounds so much worse, this seems bad enough to me.
Is there any websites out there that show that Tramadol is addictive?  If anyone has come across any medical reviews or anything, please pass them along.  I've been on tramadol now for about 2 years.  But, I am one to not take my meds like I am suppose to nor 'on time' either.  I take the tramadol only when the pain is unbearable.  I do have that fear of being addicted to it, which is why I don't take it 3x a day 2 pills at a time.

Thanks.
I have been reading this for awhile now trying to find a way of getting off of Tramadol.  I am addicted but I dont get a high from the drug.  I have a job that is physically demanding and this was prescribed to me for the pain that I have for several injuries.  I have access to opiates like Vicodin, Percecet and so on.  I dont like them because they are like gettting high and I try to avoid that.  The feeling I get from Tramadol was I didnt hurt anymore and I could do my job.  I have been taking them for three years and I will take 40 50mg pills a day.   Obviously this is out of control so i am stopping.  I dont have the money for a rehab center and my job is high profile so this would not be good for my career.  I am taking 20 days to do it myself and doing good so far.  I have cut my intake to 23 today and everyday I go down four pills.  I am in a place where I can sleep s much as I want so this is helping dramatically.  I have no idea if this is the right way but I am decreasing so that is good and if I can sustain this I will be off of them by the end of next week.  I tried to go cold today and it was pretty bad, I dont think that I could sustain that.  Since I dont have a high from them the tapering is good, I just try to keep the intake to where I am right above the withdraw symptoms.  This is working for me so far but I know that I have some issue's to deal with.  I hope this gives someone help.  If anybody know some tricks or better ways to do this please post them for all to learn from.  I read about Veterain Root and Mencalon so I am using that in conjunction with sleeping.  Dont know if this is helping but psychologically it may be.  If you are reading this then you probably need help, my advice from everything that I see and read is tapering down.  Good Luck and I will post as I go.
Dont forget that going cold turkey off Tram is dangerous - possibility of seizures.  Good luck with kicking the habit!
Hi Everyone with Tramadol problems. I live in the UK and the problem i am facing is just how Doctors here are so unsympathetic and lack knowledge regarding the effects of the drug.  I have been taking Tramadol for about 5yrs now taking as many as 500mg in a day.  I went to my Doctors and told him that i felf my anxiety and depression was being increased by taking Tramadol.  He immediately dismissed this and told me he had never experienced anyone having these problems with Tramadol and just told me to increase the dosage, i came away in total despair. I decided to try and reduce the dosage myself and managed to get down to 200mg a day but am finding it extremely difficult to reduce it any more without the feeling of anxiety, especially first thing in the morning which sometimes turns into a feeling of despair and depression.  I decided to go back to my Doctors and saw another member of the practise who oroginates from South Africa and she immediately told me i must rduce the dosage as they definately cause depression, who do you believe !!!!!!!. I am going back next week to see her and ask here if there is anything she can prescribe that will help with the withdrawal which as you all know is a pretty ****** experience.  I will post again after i have seen her. My sympathy and support goes out to you all who are suffering through this terrible drug.  Rod UK
i am glad to find someone who is withdrawing now.  i nearing the end of my second day, basicly cold turkey.   i was taking 6-8 pills per day and i don't remember how long i did this.   i feel horrible but it's bearable.  what was NOT bearable was the restless legs.  i am dreading them now and expecting the onset any minute.  i don't have the relationship with my doctor that allows me to ask him for some relief.   last night i ended up taking a vicodin and got some sleep.  i really really don't want to have to do this again as i will get addicted to vic.  that's how i got on to tram in the first place,  i was cruising the internet for vic and saw the ads for tram.  i had no idea it was so terrible and harmful a drug.  i was in complete denial that i was addicted.  i thought my problem was vic as that would cause cravings.  tram hasn't even been enjoyable ,  it just makes me feel normal.  well, yes,  until it didn't.  it definitely turns on you.  i was quite interested to read emilypost ( check her out) with a detailed an encouraging log of the whole process.  she said that she got herself back.   that tram steals your soul in a way and you don't realize it.   even after only 2 days i can sort of feel what she is talking about.   anyway,  i am in hell of course.  does anyone want to talk about symptoms?  
Good luck people, you can do this. It will be sweet when it's over!
Hi Everyone.  I have posted a few times regarding my problems with Tramadol.  I was wondering how the effects of the drug affects us as individuals.  I have recently tapered down to 4- 50mg tabs and am still having problems such as anxiety, a feeling of non reality, depression even though i have maintained that dosage for about a month now.  What confuses me is that surely after tapering down my brain should have adjusted to that dosage but that doesnt seem to be the case. Also why after having been on Trams should they suddenly start causing me problems.  Can anyone tell me if they are having similar problems and what other symptoms they are having  Best Wishes to all you fellow sufferers  Rod ( UK )
roddy,
This is a very old thread why dont you copy our post and start a new thread ?
avis :)
Hi I would but not sure how to  Rod
please do not take tramadol i had a big bowel op and was put on these i came home from hospital and  3 WEEKS later i was hooked i tried to stop taking them but my body was in horrible pain! if i didnt have any i couldnt EVEN MOVE! i felt like i was dying i really did 2 years elapsed taking them then i fell pregnant with my second son whos now 2 the docs carried on giving them me never mentioning they are nearly killing my unborn baby, i was 30 weeks pregnant when i went to the chemist for my perscription and the chemist person came over looking worried with a book in her hands saying "do you know that taking tramadol in pregnancy can kill your baby " i said no? she said  i advise you to not take anymore as research on baby mice have shown that they came out the mother not breathing. lets just say as soon as she said that i collapsed i could not beleive the docs didnt tell me this before it got this far! after this i tried to kill myself twice had severe pre natal depression was sedated alot of the time i constantly cried  for the next 8 weeks couldnt believe how i could have done this to a unborn baby, when it came to me having a c section i laid there convinced he was going to come out dead i was hysterical my mum trying to calm me down and when they lifted him out and i saw him crying i just broke down but for the next few months i was always thinking something was going to happen to him . ALL this because of a stupid little tablet what i became addicted to after taking it for 4 weeks i will tell anyone who will listen PLEASE STAY CLEAR OF TRAMADOL!!!!!
I've been on everything, but, clean now for years.
The only way I've successfully gotten off anything was to force myself to wean, and be glad when I said this is the last one.
gf
Hello to anyone addicted to Tramadol....  I was addicted for 5+ years...  I was up to taking 20-30 a day...  After, my fiance and father sitting me down in the living room - telling me this is it - I was forced to quit - It has been a month now and I am sooo thankful to them and especially to the Lord for setting me free....  You can do it to!!!!  I won't lie..  I went through sleepless nights and alot of prayers and tears...  But, I made it...  I now wake up "normal"  - you can too!!!  I spent every minute of the day worried about "pills" - having NO IDEA just how pathetic I had gotten!!!  This drug is worse than normal narcotic painkillers due to the fact that the withdrawal is sooo loooonnngggg!!!!  I now want to encourage others to take the step to stop!!!  Gain control and spend your hard earned money on you and not stupid pills....  my prayers and God's Speed
SEIZURE WARNING!

I had a friend who became very addicted to these (psychologically) and had several seizures, 2 of which were while driving and caused 1 major accident. He also had major chemical burns from a seizure that happened at work. Do not abuse this drug.
Do not go anywear near tromadol they are leathel you will get hooked and beleave me the withdrawals are fing horendous I'm warning any opid meds are extreamaly addictive even the man made ones you will go through 4 weeks of painfull body runs vomiting sweats suesidel thoughts brought on by depprssion crying your body will feel like it ways 1000000 kgs so you might not make the toilet and that's always fun LOL so harden the f up sorry to be so brutal but this could save tour life see doctors get paid by drug companyies to flog there **** drugs I don't have proff of this buts let's say I heard it through the grape vine rember opids are lethal you have been warned don't make the same mistake asxi did
I really do feel it depends on the person with this drug, but it seems that a lot of the withdrawals are the same.  I have been taking tramodol for on and off  3-months this is how my doctor told me to take it, only when i was in a lot of pain well if there is a week or 2 week span that i was taking them and then don't need them for a day i am having withdrawals, its mostly the anxiety and restlessness at night.  I have had anxiety problems in the past and I also Had a baby 5 in 1/2 months ago so i strongly feel my doctors choice of this med was not the right one, as of now i am going to taper off because the feeling of anxiety is the worst.  I strongly urge that if you have a anxiety or panic disorder make it very clear even if you haven't had any episodes in a long time because this med will most likely make you feel worse, i would rather be in pain than have the feelings of helplessness.  So I just CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION all who may be prescribed tramodol or ultram.
I stopped Tramadol & Prednisone cold turkey last thursday I'd been on Tramadol for 8 yrs. needed to stop b/c I am addicted and let me tell you withdrawal is not easy. Currently I'm having breathing problems and my heart feels as if it is going to bust right out of my chest. Friday night was the worst(have'nt slept since then)I was vomiting had diarriaha,shaking,sweating, hallucinations,heavy breathing and chest pain.I went to the doctor Monday and told her what I had done and she got upset and immediately called the ambulance.I drove to the doctor so I let give me a breathing treatment and refused to go to the hospital because she told when I go to the hospital they were going to put me back on the tramadol and prednisone I really do not what to do that so I stayed home until today because I feel alot better the withdrawal symptoms they are'nt that bad anymore the only thing is that I'm still having trouble with my breathing and that I can't sleep. My husband works nights and should be on his way home now and when he gets here we're going to hospital. Anyway,I need advice about any alternatives to taking
tramadol b/c I have Lupus and still need something for the pain.If anyone knows of one please let me know I am very desparate and DO NOT want to go back on Tramadol.I was also ordering on the internet when I couldn't get a refill, I went to different pharmacies when one wouldn't refill b/c insurance said too soon to refill I did whatever I had to do in order to to get that drug nothing else matter. I'm on 7 other medications for my lupus and High blood pressure but I didn't take them b/c the only thing that mattered was the Tramadol.I was taking an average of  1000mg A DAY!!! I need help even though I'm not in any pain I'm still want the Tramadol anyway.If ANYONE has any advice it will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully they won't keep me in the hospital but if they do as soon as I get out I will let everyone now what happened. But my main reason for writing was to ask if anyone knew of an alternative for this medication b/c I really don't want to go back on it. Hopefully when I tell them that I'm addicted they won't put me back on it. Well,God Bless and I hope to get a response soon.

Thank you in advance,
LUPUS_SUX
I have been on tramadol for 7 yrs now from a herniated disc. Durning the seven yrs there were times I could not get any tramadol so I smoked pot. When I smoked I had no desire for the tramadol, period! For those of you wanting to get off the drug try something different that is non addictive that will relieve the pain and withdrawls. I was able to get off tramadol by smoking pot. I hope this helps.....
Does anyone know if tramadol can effect menstrual cycles? I have taken ultracet in the past but this time I was sent the generic Domadol and cannot find any useful info on it. Pretty sure all the side effects would be about the same but I am now 5 days late and have taken 4 pregnancy tests that have all been negative, so is it the meds??? Please help! This really concerns me.
I been off tramadol for months now still have pains, but use a Tens Unit instead. Will power and keeping goals to reduce the amount you take helps. Keeping myself busy helps the worst thing you can do with a herniated disc is sit all day best keep active. Good luck everyone.
Does anyone know what does happen to a human beeing after taking a daily  average of 500 + mg of tramadol for 11 years now ? What part of the body now is damaged ( Other than the brain, this is for sure damaged, and other than the breathing problems and regular symptoms.. )

Thank you
Does anyone know what does happen to a human being after taking a daily  average of 500 + mg of tramadol for 11 years now ? What part of the body now is damaged ( Other than the brain, this is for sure damaged, and other than the breathing problems and regular symptoms.. )

Thank you
I have been on tramadol for ten years.  I was using on average 30 to 50 50mg.s per day.  I could could not break this no matter what I tried to do.  I finally got busted for getting from my Dr. and also using the internet.  In Ohio it is called diseption to obtain.  I have a long road of legal hopes to jump through but all in all,  it's the best thing that has happened to me in 10 years.  I have recieved a 1 st. time offence . And was lucky enough to get a "treatment in lue of conviction" sentence.  I will have no record and all will be sealed if I do the N/A treatment plan.                                                                                                       As for many questions that have been asked.  There should be little brain damage in the way this drug is excepted by the brain.  My liver on the other hand is good now but I am sure that unless God intervense, I will have problems latter.  As for what this drug is.  You can read 10 facy sheets about it and get 10 differant answers.  It is a narcotic, it isn't.  It is a opiate, it isn't.  Here is what I have found out about it.  It, unlike Vico. or Oxy. it has a stimulant that can cause seizures if used over the prescribed amount.  I was extremly blessed in that I had none.  Also, if you have been abusing heavy,  do not cold turkey.  That can also bring on seizures.  I tried going to regular Dr's and they all cut back way to much to soon.  PLEASE PLEASE, find someone who works with chemical or substants abuse.  My substants abuse Dr. told me that is how most Ultram/Tramadol users who abuse are found out.  By being brought into emergency with seizures.                                                                                                 I was told it is not one of the big scheduled drugs, but please be aware.  If you have a addictive personality, it can get you.  It is good at helping with mild and mild chronic pain.  It has a mood enhancing property that works great for depression,  but please fight with all your might to adhere to your prescription.                                                                                             I am being treated with Suboxone to be able to beat this thing, and so far the hardest thing I have had to deal with is extreme tiredness.  If you are one of the lucky ones who do not have that pesky addiction gene, then keep an eye on yourself.  For those who like me ,say if one is good then three is better.  Please don't up your dosage and take 3 or 5 at one time.  Your will get a result that will have you addicted faster that it takes to get a refill.  All I can say is this drug is good at doing what it was intended to.  And the perscription your Dr. gives you will in most cases help you with what it is intended to do.  But please keep it at that.  Please keep it at that.                                                                                                                               God bless              
                              Blaine Miller
I have been off tramadol for 2 and a half months and i am still haveing withdrawls, im fealing weak on a daily basis, hard to fall asleep, and a bak "pain" that i cant describe, maybe like restless legs but instead restless back. I am wondering if i am haveing with drawls because ive takin other drugs in that period of time. in those 2 and a half months ive smoked weed 3 times, put on a lidoderm patch 8 times. drank vodka 4 times   took 7 paxils 2 xanax, took 3 vicoden, 3 aleves for a terrible migrain, 4 vitamin 5-htp 1 a day, (30 blood peressure alpha blockers, 25 blood pressure bata blockers  for the 2nd month of withdrawls). and ciggerttes every day. I stayed away from any narrcotics even the lidoderm patches for the second month and ahalf.

With this said i am wondering if i am still experienceing with drawls. ever day i think tomarow will be a better day, and it never is. Im on day number 13 of taking nothing at all except for 1 aleve and 1 vitamin. i am thinking the cigerettes are playing a big role in slowing my detox down. yesterday i didnt smoke the whole day and i wasnt as tired but still have restless back.

i never though i would make it this far in recovery because the pain was so bad and still is at times,  but i just keep telling my self if i take 1 tram it will set me  back a lot with my recovery . does any body have any advice or   words of wisdom.

thank you steve
im drinking alot of water taking alot of ***** and excersising  (sweating). If i dont get better within the next 3 weeks i am deffenettly going to go see a doctor
hey sweetie!
are yu taking any vitamins?im not going thru withdrawals from tram but ive been on over 500 mg of oxy a day, well over 20 percs a day, phent patches,demural and vic!and im doing great! funny thing is i took sum ultram to help me get away from any withdrawals from those prescribed meds above!!and i went thru NO w/withdrawals from tram! i guess it shows if we take more of what were suppose to we can get addicted to anything and then we suffer the crappy consequences! one thing i found funny was, THE MORE SWEET TEA I DRANK the faster the stuff came out of my system! tea is a natural dietary which means in english for us that it causes you to pee ALOT during the day which in long run will help get some of that stuff out..
this isnt a plan just a thought!

good luck hun!
THIS IS MY OPINION:  IF YOUR CONSIDERING USING TRAMADOL AVOID IT LIKE YOU WOULD HEROIN...NO MATTER WHAT YOUR DIAGNOSIS IS.  IF YOUR CURRENTLY USING TRAMADOL GET OFF IT, ITS A DIRTY DIRTY DRUG (which will leave you in the shadow of your former self  and with increased pain).

I feel the only way to get off tramadol is to stop taking it and cold turkey and remember that you will get through it.  What no one tells you is that taking tramadol for pain can actually increase your pain as the body begins to crave the drug.  Once your body begins to crave the drug the symptoms are being full of pain!  However you as the patient think it is your diagnosis which is giving you the pain.  Hence the vicious circle begins.  In my opinion this drug should be banned.
Before stopping you should tell your GP what you intend to do and where possible steer clear of taking anything else which is addictive to releive the withdrawals.  Cold turkey is terrible but is the quickest way to get all of the **** out of your system. Once stopping you can expect to feel depression, anxiety, outbursts of crying, intense muscle pain and stiffness all over your body, feeling intensly hot then freezing, dripping with cold sweat, difficulty breathing, jolting body/involuntary movements, headaches, sickness vomiting and the trots and difficulty sleeping to say the least.  But in my experience after four days things begin to improve and you begin to take ownership of your mind and body again.  To help with the withdrawals drink grapefruit juice as this helps to get toxins out of the body, vitamin and mineral supplements or a vitamin tonic, an antehistamine (drowsy) taken at night will also keep your sinuses clear, drink plenty of fluids and have warm baths and eat healthy. Ibuprofen also help with the muscle aches/fever and have a large cup of coffee in the morning as it helps with the lethargy and kicks your brain into touch again and will help you short term. A hot water bottle will also help with your restless legs. As will exercise be it a short walk once you feel able to get dressed! Remember throughout IT WILL END.  Dont become a slave to the drug.  Also get urself some good friends to visit u whilst ur going through your detox as you will need someone to talk through with you how you are feeling and to pull you out of your big black hole.  xx
This is an old thread. Please join us at EmilyPosts's tramadol thread. Follow all the posts to the bottom. If you see recent dates, we are still on that page. When the page gets too long, Emily starts a fresh page. She posts a link for it at the bottom. So you might have to click twice to get up to date. Please click and end this thread so we can all hook up over there. We are all going through the same thing with Tramadol and some posters who have stopped stay on to encourage us. There are fresh posts every day usually. Come over and save yourself:
Nancy

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/111239
you need to slowly cut back on this drug if you are dependent on it.for the people that
are taking 10 20 pills a day wht the hell are you thinking.if you are taking this drug and you think you are having a problem with it get off of it.taking more and abusing it will just
make it harder to get off of it.opiate withdrawl (withdrawal) is very painful and the only way out is going through it.there are no magic remedies to fix it.methadone,suboxone which are used for treating opiate addiction are addictive.you need to slowly cut back until you can quit,it will be painful but can be done
i am on lots of scripts for my bipolol. they just started me on tramadol a month ago. i try not to take it much but finding myself craving it more and more everday. i seem more depressed and with the chantix they gave me to stop smoking for my emphzema , sorry about my spelling . this  has got to quit . cant go on much longer.. any help out there for me??
Unfortunately, for many years, doctors were told that tramadol/Ultram had little or no addiction potential.  In fact, when I was in medical school, that is what we were taught.  Now, however, that has been slow, though much more widespread acceptance of it's potential for dependence.  Every doctor has at least a few patients that come back for more and more narcotics.

I know that there is a lot of doctor 'bashing' about this point.  I do, however, believe that most physicians prescribe tramadol with good intentions.  If you understand, that many have always heard that it is non-addictive by pharmacist and pharma companies, they began to believe it.  Combined with the fact, that doctors prefer to write for non-controlled substances, like tramadol vs controlled narcotics and you have a recipe for the abovementioned problems.  I am not defending stupid doctors - just asking some of you to understand that there was no 'evil' motives as some have alluded.

There is now research suggesting that some people are chemically more susceptible to tramadol dependence and even to its euphoria.  There is even some thoughts that part of its dependence is not even narcotic, perhaps the rapid acting antidepressent component, which increases Serotonin and other neurotransmitters.  It is chemically similar to Effexor.  This may be why it has an atypical withdrawal syndrome.

Personally, as a addiction doctor, I recommend people taper there tramadol slowly, if they are struggling.  Make sure you dose at a minimum of twice daily otherwise you will have daily mini-withdrawals.  If you are down to 2 pills, and yes, going from 2 to 0 is tough for some and easy for others, then you may want to talk with your doctor about getting a special prescription to have the medicine compounded into a suspension.  It may cost you more for the pharmacy to do this, but I guarantee, if you go slow enough, in 5 or 10mg drops every 2 weeks, that your tramadol dependence will be manageable.  I have seen this a thousand times.  Where most people on this program get into trouble is taking booster doses every so often, to get the high.  Resist this temptation.

In the end, remember that this is simply a problem of chemical homeostasis in your body and that it takes time for your body to adjust to changes.  Do not get caught up in the psychological 'BS' of thinking there is something wrong with you.  Remember, this is not a big deal and it happens to thousands of people all the time.  You will be fine and things will get back to normal.

Finally, when you do succeed, don't touch the tramadol again.  I can guarantee, you will easily get back to where you were in a matter of a week or two.  Fight this temptation and think about your previous struggle.

I hope you all find this helpful.  God bless and good luck to you!
I saw in wikipedia Tramadol that most side effects are caused by the withdrawal process
hi im like you i was given by a specalist tramadol 7yrs ago for severe fibromyalgia..i too suffer depression and on meds for that..i realized i was addicted about 2yrs ago...my world has been destroyed and im starting to believe its tramadol and the generic brands they give you...i agree gp's are useless when it comes to tramadol..ive even told mine im addicted and she did nothing, no other pain relief was offered to replace it with, they my gp and specialist put me on morphine patches for a couple of weeks to wheen off but they where useless so my specialist said ah well stop them and stay on the tramadol!!! joke ah...its only been at my request..my shrink said its not my area and fobbed me off, the specialist doesnt seem interested honestly and my gps useless yet i'll be known as a druggy! theres no help out here for people with no money..if i was a celeb everything would happen for me..but when you got no money or private health because you dont have the money their not interested your indespencible..one doctor said to me pity yo havent got private health i could have helped you!!!!! so some of us do ask for help its just no one wants to help...if i die i'll just be known as a junkie wont I..good luck to you
I became addicted to Tramadol about 4 months ago.  I tried tapering it down and I felt like I was coming off heroin, not that I've ever tried herion.  Even a small reduction of 12.5mg (1/4 tablet) generated nasty withdrawal effects, which made me feel like I was going to have a seizure.  I had to stay on 50mg 3x per day until I figured a way to get off this awful stuff.  I did a little research and came across a website www.***********.org.  This site referred me to www.trbhealth.com and I ordered their Body Calm product along with some other supplements.  I have to say this stuff was an absolute miracle for me because it allowed me to taper off this stuff in 2 weeks, compared to a planned 2-4 month taper.  If Body Calm isn't enough they also make a Body Calm Supreme product that they say is stronger.  

Tonight is my last 12.5mg dose and once I'm sure I'm free of all withdrawal symptoms this stuff is going in the garbage.  Good luck to all who are struggling with this demon.  I hope what I have posted helps!!!
Looks like that website got deleted.  Google "The Road Back" and you'll find it.
I currently am trying to quit using Tramadol. I just ran out and am getting very nervous because the pharmacy has informed me I cant get the next script for 5 more days. I descussed this w my Dr. on tuesday and he told me if I run out to call him and they would get me one. I called today and he isnt in the office and his seretary told me she couldnt help me. I have severe w/ draws from it. I was told I would be taken care of and now I have no one to help me. How long does the suffering last. If I goto hospital what will they do to help me.
Hi!  This is a really old post.  You will get more response if you post your own question.  The WDs last about a week as far as the bad physical stuff.  The insomnia and fatigue and depression last longer, depending on how long you were on it.

Just go up and click on "post a question" (green bar) and type what you did here.  That way you will have a thread dedicated to your question and get lots of support!!! : )
Stay away from ultram. Nasty stuff
What is Tramadol? Tramadol is a pain reliever that can help with occasional and chronic moderate and severe pain. It doen't cure what's causing your aches and pains, it just enters the brain and spinal cord and blocks the part of your ...

More your full info about TRAMADOL please visit -  http://www.tramadol-articles.tk
I've been addicted to opiates all of my life.  I have been addicted to heroin, hydromorphone ampules, morphine, methadone, hydrocodone, fentanyl, you name it but by FAR tramadol has posed the worst withdrawal experience by far.  I don't know if it has a lot to do with it's SSRI properties but I have a sneaking suspicion that it does.  Yes, heroin withdrawal is worse, FOR 3 DAYS, after that you start to feel quite a bit better but tramadol?  Oh no, as all of you already know, you are in for a long haul with this little *******.  At least a week of restless legs, arms, and 1 hour a night sleep.  On top of that you have less energy than a 120 year old man for the next at least 2 weeks (this all depends on your personal physiology and length of use and amount of abuse, I was at 450 MG 6x a day for a couple years).  I am on day 3 of W/D from this little &%$@ and I swear to god this is the last time I will ever ingest any opiate.  Tips for anyone out there having trouble, over my years I have figured out some coping mechanisms.  If you are trying to quit but still have to go to work and are scared of what people might notice, relax.  Just tell them you have the stomach flu really bad and try to get some sick days.  If you have any benzodiazepines like Xanax or Klonopin, those can help with the anxiety but for me they increase RLS and arms at night for some reason.  Even if you feel like the living dead, EXERCISE EVERY DAY!  This is crucial!  It will kick in those endorphines and get you feeling at least 1% better.  Invest in an ipod and listen to whatever music gets you pumped for as long as you can, even all night if you can't sleep. This is not easy whatsoever, there is no miricale way to detox, just detox cold turkey, white-knuckle it and get it over with for good.
Hello fellow sufferers of this hellacious devil in disguise, I am now on almost day 11 off of tramadol and I feel probably 75% better than I did on my last post.  I cannot stress this enough, you HAVE to stay busy, no matter how bad you feel and trust me, I was on gran mal seizure inducing dosages for quite some time so my withdrawal (cold turkey by the way) is as severe as they come.  EAT!  I know it all tastes like dry cardboard, just wash it down with lots of water like you're taking a shot of alcohol, oatmeal is an easy one to do that with.  It is so important to stay busy, left to your own devices and getting stuck in your head is TROUBLE. All it takes is a phone call to dude and you have to start ALL OVER.....not fun.....I don't condone the whole "trade one addiction for the other" but as I stated in my last post, most bezodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, etc.) will at least relieve some of the severe anxiety and hopefully (if your lucky) let you sleep for an hour or two.  I know you don't want to live like this, who would?  I sure as hell don't.  I have a guy next door right now with a bottle full of methadone and I have a wallet full of money but after the last 10 or so days of hell I went through I actually had the strength to call him and tell him not to talk to me anymore and that I'm done with this ****.  That which cannot kill you can only make you stronger, no matter how hard it is, in a couple weeks the physical part will be over and then you just have to be smart and not take it EVER AGAIN!  Well, I don't know if anyone is going to read these, I hope I helped somebody somewhere, stick to your guns and man/woman up, nobody is going to do it for you, this is your life and you have to choose NOT to take Tramadol or any other opiate, you've already know the eventual end-result, exercise that choice.  My best friend, my little brother and another very close friend of mine all died within 3 months of each other in separate instances, heroin and fentanyl overdoses.....it's not worth it, you only live once, make the best of your life.
Hello, just a few months ago I went off my script of 240 oxy a month along with whatever id buy after they were gone, I just decided I can't live like that anymore, did id cold turkey no drugs to help and believe me I know how you feel, Tramadol does help with withdrawals and no matter what anyone says it is still a step down and working on getting better, I started with a lot ten a day....(Im prescribed 8- 50mg a day) now Im trying to do fewer and fewer each day to wean off them. Good luck I wish you the best.
a week ago i taking 60pills of tramadol 50mg each and i was sick for 3 days but now im i so much pain i cant sleep my doctor put my on trazone 100mg to help me sleep but it not working i still have tramdol im mixing them and drinking goldshlager too but it still not helping im not sure if i should tell my doctor what im trying to do to get to sleep oh ya and i have NF  that (Neurofibromatosis)
I started taking Tramadol about four weeks ago,  for control of osteoarthritis pain (hip).  I was taking 50mg ,  twice per day,  not sure why,  but I developed severe nausea and disorientation about two weeks in,  and so I returned to my Dr,  and he changed me to a 200mg (sustained release dose) once per day.  I was on that for about two weeks,  and again developed nausea and dizzyness,  so I decided that I can live with some pain,  and quit taking the drug.   It has been three days now,  and for that entire period of time,  my stomach has been very upset,  and I have had diarrhea,  anxiety when trying to sleep, and I am just wondering,  based on what I have read here,  is this a normal reaction after only being on the drug for such a short period of time. ??
I know it seems hard to believe after such a short time on the tram to be dealing with all of this - but yes, it can happen.  We've had a ton of members experience what you're now experiencing after such a short time.

Good for you for quitting!  :)  (and yes, the symptoms will go away and you will feel better)
i too am coming off Tramadol, my GP has took me off them and put me on morphine, i was on 800 mg of Tramadol a day and co-codamol she said i didn't need both so took away the Tramadol, my god its hell, this is the 4th day without them she said i would not get withdrawal systems i hate to say she's wrong, but i don't want to go back to them now how many more days do i have to put up with these symptoms?, shaking,hot,cold,sick,dizzy etc and is this normal?? i advise no one to go on Tramadol its a really bad thing to get off sorry if im babbling
I've been on Narcotic Painkillers since 1996 following a terrible MVA. My pain was managed and it's all good, however I just had surgery that will fix my pain. so...
I was on Methadone for many years and once after about 3 years I was post-op and not in pain, thought "I'm okay so I don't need drugs."  Within in a day or so I started withdrawal, was clueless until a friend who is a Drug Counsellor at a youth facility where I volunteer.  I was also PISSED!   I had taken my meds always as perscribed and too niave to understand physical dependence.  So 8 years later and I graduted to Fentanyl Patches, much better than the methadone, but want to come of the drugs again, but don't want to go through my last experience.  I will get a Catapress Patch but am wondering what else I should ask for???  I have both Tramadol and Lortab on hand. Is there a benzine that will help??
Thank-you, Gaby Wilson
I typed in on my gooogle search" does tramadol put you in withdrawal"  it popped up with this forum, which wasnt what I was looking for. I am on a methadone program and was told tramadol put you in instant withdrawal if you are on methadone. I was wondering after reading your post and seeing you are on methadone i was wondering if what the clinic said was true? Have you ever taken tramadol with methadone?
I too had one by myself.  It was so scary.  It's called Serotonin Syndrome/ I think this is one of the worst drugs out on the market.  Before using this do your homework.  It is nothing like narcotics.  
I have been taking 50 mg  Tramadol  tablets three times a day for at least 2 months and i have had no problems with  addiction, it does not have any of the same side effects as an opiate. I dont understand how many are addicted to it.
I've been taking Tramadol since 2000 for Fibromyalgia, RA, and Osteoarthritis pain and Restless Leg Syndrome.  I have been taking the same dose, 3 50mg tablets, 1 at noon and 2 at night an hour before I go to sleep, for all these years.  I will on an occasion take 4 when my pain is unbearable, but no more than that because I end up with an allergic reaction to it, itching.

I have tried all the new pain medications for Fibromyalgia and Arthritis and the side effects far out way the pain I experience.  So, I always return to the Tramadol.  My primary doctor, who is also a pain specialist, monitors my use and knows that I will never abuse this drug.  His associate however, has labeled me as being an addict because I am taking the 150 mg a day, far more than the 50 mg. a day that she has been advised is the recommended dose to avoid addiction.  She feels that I need to change my pain management program and she wants to put me on drugs that are recommended as being less addictive, disregarding the fact that I have never asked for more or gone to another doctor to get more or shown any of the classic signs of addiction.  In the past I have gone off of the Tramadol to try other pain medications for several months and each time they didn't touch my pain and, always, my doctor at the time, would return to the Tramadol.  His reason was that, "why try to fix something that doesn't need fixing."

My primary doctor treats the whole body  while his associate looks at only what the FDA and others say is the best treatment not listening to anything I tell her is going on with my body.  My primary doctor once told me that no one knows my body better than me.  He listens to what I have to say about what's going on and prescribes according to what my body is telling me.  Never once has he said that I was addicted to Tramadol.
Please read all discription before talking tramadol. this blogs will help  http://www.tramadol-guide.com
trying to figure out what is going on with me and looking for some help. I have had chronic neck and pain due to numberous injuries at work (fireman) have been on vicodin for periods of 6 months at a time or more and have went off with no repercussions. But recently We were in Mexico and my lower back was really bothering me...and against my better judgement I bought some 100 Tramadol at a Parmacy. I took one and within 3o minutes pain had subsided...I took 2 a day for 2 days and then went to work on a 48 hour shift and did not take any while working...back was killing me during the shift and could not wait to get of work and took another tramodol...for the next 4 days i took a total of 3 a day...then when I went back to work, not taking any while on duty, at around 24 hours or so of not taking any of the tramadol I got very depressed and have many symptoms that others mention on this forum I do not feel like myself and very depressed....My question is is it possible to have withdrawal symptoms from Tramadol from taking a total of 17 pills (100mgs) during a time frame of 8 days? It has been 4 days now since i have taken them, and plan on never taking these again...any comments would be grateful

343
could not find an edit tab for my last post some corrections
neck and back injuries
and bought 100mg tablets of Tramadol

Viewing 1-200 comments: