Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Treatment centers say tramadol is not an opiate and won't treat me...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Treatment centers say tramadol is not an opiate and won't treat me

I've called every treatment center in my area that treats opiod dependence with suboxone. When I say I need treatment for tramadol dependecy they tell me tramadol is not an opiate and they don't treat for it. I reallu need to find some help. I've been tapering off but I know I'm gonna need some extra help. Does anyone know if there is another route I can go to get suboxone?
Tags: tramadol suboxone

Taking Suboxone to come off of Tramadol is like taking Heroin to come off Methadone. It is not suggested and is rarely accepted. You will surely be adding to fuel to the fire if you go that route.

What else have you tried? Have you spoken with your doctor?
Some controversy regarding the abuse potential of tramadol exists. Grünenthal has promoted it as having a lower risk of opioid dependence than traditional opioids, claiming little evidence of such dependence in clinical trials (which is true; Grünenthal never claimed it to be non-addictive). They offer the theory that, since the M1 metabolite is the principal agonist at μ-opioid receptors, the delayed agonist activity reduces abuse liability. The norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor effects may also play a role in reducing dependence.

Tramadol is not a federally controlled drug, however the following U.S. states have elected to make tramadol a schedule IV controlled drug: Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois, New Mexico, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Wyoming, Mississippi, North Dakota, Oklahoma and the U.S. military, with other states considering similar actions.

That is why they aren't helping you out.
In what way do you need help? A planned detox at home is definitely doable if you have someone at home to support you.  It's harder to do alone and a taper is best.

How many do you take per day and why?
I didn't realize I had any responses. But I have been taking 5 50 mg pills for the last couple of months. I have major pain in my feet, plantar faciaitis, and if I miss a dose, the pain is unbearable. I've been taking it for about 2 years but the 5 a day is the highest dosage i've ever taken. I usually take 3 around 5 pm and 2 at around 9 pm.

As I've been trying to taper, Monday I was down to 4 and a half. However on Wednesday I got the flu and was taking so many other meds I forgot to take the Tramadol and noticed that I didn't have any foot pain. So I didn't take my 9 pm dosage.  So I tried to see how long I could go before feeling pain. So the next time I took it was 5 pm the next day. I felt no withdrawal or anything. It was quite miraculous. So now I was only taking 2 and half in a 24 hour period. But for some reason, as my flu got a little better, I felt withdrawal creeping in ahead of my 5 pm dosage time. So I took the 2 and a half but still felt some serious brain zaps. So I took one more and I was fine.
However, I've yet to find anyone that will treat me and I only have 3 left. I have no idead what to do.
Thst's odd. There are many message boards, including several threads on this site that suggest suboxone is effective for tramadol addiction.