Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Trying To Detox Myself Off Norcos

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Trying To Detox Myself Off Norcos

I have been taking norcos for about 3 years now.  I started with a perscription from my dr for back pain. I was taking between 4-9 for about a year and a half then went up and up to about 20-25 a day.  I went to a methadone clinic for a 21 day detox and it did not help on the 22 day i was very sick so bought some more and went up to about 30-40 daily.  Tried the 21 detox again but did the same thing and have been trying to taper myself down to 7 before stoping cold turkey.  I am currently at 9-10 a day.  

So with that said, I was wondering how long does the natural detox take? I know the symptoms, but dont know how long i will feel sick.  Will I feel better after 4-5-6 days? How long does it take to actually feel "normal" again??

Thanks,
Kylie
HI Kylie......normally it about a 4 or 5 day deal with the physical symptoms then theres the sleep issues can go on a few weeks and then the time it takes to reset all your brain chemistry that will be a mess for a wile in a month you will feel much better and every moth after a bit better then the one b/4 you had a pritty hard habit and those 21 day detoxes with methadone never work also this is more of a mind game then a physical detox aftercare is important you wont get better sitting in front of the T/V your going to need to work to stay clean as a whole we always recamend N/A or A/A there free and great programs but after 3yr of use your going to have to change the very way you think and reason to overcome this where always here and open 24/7 will help you detox then guide you threw recovery this wont go away on its own and there is a lot more to it then just the pills there only a symptom of whats going on will talk more as you get closer to jumping off I will watch for your posts if you can stick to one it makes it ezer for everybody to follow what going on I wish you all the luck in the world doing this when its said and done you wont be chained to a pill bottle any more just let us know when you want to start ......Gnarly  
Hi Kylie

Gnarly gave you solid advice up above.  There are lots of tools that you can get to help you through detox at home-Look up the Thomas Recipe in the health pages...And then vitamins, exercise, healthy diet and solid aftercare...Whatever it takes for you to reclaim your life.  It does take time and you do have to be patient...This is difficult for many but it is absolutely key.  It took you awhile to get to this place and you won't get out overnight....But know that if you work at it and are kind, gentle, and patient with yourself-then you will be better than 'normal'.....I am 35 days opiate free and life gets better and better every day....Post as often as you need...someone is always here....Sending support.....Lu
Welcome! I commend your strength to taper down as that can't be easy. Although living clean will take more than will power as you well know. You are battling for your life and I hope you soon come to terms with taking the last pill. It's scary how the intensity of each relapse grows exponentially and how quickly we can find ourselves spiraling out of control. Before you can reclaim your life you must first choose to live.

Planning some aftercare now may be the catalyst to get the ball rolling. When I first came to this form I didn't take my recovery seriously and only went to meetings when it worked for me. Of course I wanted to stop using. I was miserable. My mental and physical health were deteriorating. I was full of self-pity and not ready to do the work involved in creating a better life. I stuck around even though I relapsed several times. I needed to learn how to get where I am today. I spent 6 weeks in rehab only to relapse a year later. Honestly, what I needed was to listen and learn. I would be dead if I did it my way. This forum is a great source of information and support but finding a home group to connect with regularly is really where its at.

There is no blueprint to build a life without addiction. Ironically, we have to maintain focus on our addiction and vulnerabilities if we are to stay clean.  Just remember if it sounds too good to be true then it"s false. Recovery takes effort. I wish you all the best as you search for a recovery plan that holds personal meaning to you. Take care and let us know how you are doing :o)