Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Trying to get off oxycodone 30's and oxycontin 30's

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi. I am a 25 yr old female who is taking very strong pain meds for various problems.  I have been taking pills ever since I was 22,  so for 3 years now.  I started out on hydro 4 hydro 5/500 a day and now,  I am prescribed 5 oxycodone 30's plus 2 oxycontin 30's per day.  Mind you,  I have 2 small children at home.  I am only 25 and feel like i'm 70.  This is awful.  I made a very hard decision about 5 days ago,  and now I am really paying for it.  I flushed my meds the day before the 4th of July because I guess I felt like I hit rock bottom.  I am so sick of taking these meds to try to take away the pain that Im feeling,  I just want to feel normal again.  I have been so sick for the last 5 days because I made the BIG mistake of quitting cold turkey.  But,  I felt as though,  If I kept the meds around I would never stop taking them.  Im too young too be on these meds,  especially the dose I get prescribed.  These doctors just dish it out without telling you how horribly addictive it is.  I guess I just need some support,  with 2 small kids and not much help,  its really hard.  I wish I had something to ease the withdrawls...its horrible,  I feel like I'm going to die...how long should I experience this? I have not gone without meds in 3 years...what the F*** was I thinking? Well,  I was thinking about my kids and how I need MY life back.  These things consume you to the point of no return...its like a black hole. If anyone else is in the same situation,  please give me some guidance and support.   Is there anything I can do to ease the symptoms? Im having it all,  puking,  cold chills,  hot flashes, restless legs,  diarreah (diarrhea),  insomnia,  anxiety,  the shakes, cravings, this is day 5 and it seems as though its not getting any better.  Help!!
Hi & Welcome,

I don't think you made a mistake by getting rid of them. I think you did a good thing. As hard as it is now, it is almost over and you don't have to be a slave to the devil pills anymore. With 5 days just about over you are almost through the hardest part. By the morning you should start to feel better and by the weekend even better yet. Hang in there and you won't be sorry that you flushed the pills.

I am glad you found your way here and just talking about it and admitting it helps. Hang around and you will find a lot of support. If you have any questions, ask away.
Hi~  Hang on...you're almost over it!!  It wasn't stupid to throw the pills away. You'll be happy you did that. Do you have someone to go to the store for you?  You need a few things:

Peptobismal
Immodium
Epsom salts(pour into hot bath and soak)
cal/mag supplement
Broad spectrum vitamins
juices
soups
Nyquil without the decongestant. Helps aches etc.
Hylands Restfull Legs

Drink a lot of water. You need to replace all fluid loss.
Try to get some help at home.

Does anyone know what you're going through?

Vicki
no one knows what I am going through,  I guess I was kind of a closet addict.  That is one reason I feel the need to get completely sober. I wanted to do like a outpatient program,  but I dont have help with my kids.  This is awful! Thanks for the advice so far...
I think some sort of therapy would be great. You know, it is funny when you say no one knows. Everyone says that. I know I did and I believed it and I found out that EVERY ONE knew and they were all wondering what the heck was wrong with me. When it finally all came out, the people closest to me were relieved and supported me. You may be surprised.

Aside from therapy you can check into NA meetings that allow children to come along. Not all do but there are some out there. If you do the footwork you can find them. I have provided the link below to find meeting sin your area:

http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

this is a great way to learn how to stay clean.
I guess once I get past all of the withdrawls,  that will be the time to start talking with my family about my addiction.  I wonder which one is worse...!! I have to admit,  that by doing this,  I feel so much better about myself,  but I am sick of being sick.  Its like no matter how hard I try to get up and do something,  I just dont have the energy.  Dont get me wrong,  I take care of my kids,  just because Im suffering doesnt mean they need to suffer,  but let me tell you,  this has been one hell of a ride...I cant wait to look back on all of this and say  how great it feels to be clean.  Thanks for the support so far....Its VERY much appreciated...believe me!!