Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Trying to quit hydrocodone apap 5/500...need help with leg pains....?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been on hydrocodone for over 10 years for chronic abdominal pain.  I started out taking 5/500 then was up to 10/325 because the tylonal was causing stomach pain and vomiting.  I recently had three surgeries since May 09 the last two with in a week the end of Aug 09.  I am taking 5/500 and down to two a day.  I am still healing after surgery but feel so much better.  Up until I started taking the higher dosages I could quit CT and would go for weeks with out it and no withdraw.  I wish that was the case now =)

The biggest problem I have is leg pain and it is soooo bad.  I have tried hot baths, walking it off, and just suffering.  I have a high pain tolerance but after all I have been through this is harder than dealing with the abdominal pain.  What has worked for you to ease the pain OR is it just a thing I have to deal with for a week or so?

I also wonder if the hot flashes will get better.  I had a hysterectomy back in 2003 and the hot flashes and night sweats seem to be getting worse as I slowly quit the pain meds.

I need some support I think.  I question if I am trying to get off the meds to soon after surgery...it has only been 3 weeks and I still have some surgery related pain.  But I hate taking the pills.  Odd thing also I never crave them or think about taking them just because; but my body is very addicted and is screaming at me mostly with leg cramps, a few headaches, and insomnia.

Any help is welcome.  May you be blessed.
The leg pain is something that just has to be dealt with when going through the whole process of coming off the pills for good. I know what it's like to want to get off the pills, and yet still have the legit pain left behind to take care of. If you have a heating pad then give that a try as well. It might help ease some of the tension with the legs, but for the most part...the legs and lack of sleep are two of the hardest things to deal with.
The hot flashes will get better too...I went ct back in Feb....and my hot flashes were bad....now...they are gone....Hang in there...
I too found cutting down on my meds... hydro (dilaudid) that i was beginning to feel hot flashes.Had hysterectomy at 33...someone suggested Cal-Mag, calcium and magnesium vitamins. I still get them sometimes but very minor symptons now. I have heard they dont work for everyone but did for me. Good luck
Thanks.  I have stopped the pain killers.  It is day two.  I slept little last night and the leg pain is constant.  This is horrible but thanks for the info.  I can do this =)
Blessings
Leg pain soooo bad.  Hot baths and warm blankets are not working.  I am so tired but hurt so bad sleep will not come wrap me in its silky dreams.  I want to cut my legs off to stop the pain but not take the pills...I know I have slayed the beast just by not allowing it to temp me.

Blessings
Eating bananas can help with the legs too as they have lots of potassium.  Some people have wrapped their legs with ace bandages too.  May help.  Just keep hanging in there as this will go away.  I know easier said than done but it will get better.  I also had terrible hot flashes and i rarely have them now.  Try and get out and walk.  Stay strong   sara