Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Trying to stop taking vicodin... how do I do that?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

About 2 years ago I was in a car accident that led my doctor to prescribe vicodin for me. I feel I am addicted and after many attempts at not taking vicodin I do not know what to do. I am in pain but something tells me that it is my mind that is making me think I am to justify taking vicodin. What can I do to get off of this stuff that is making me depressed. I am too embarassed to tell my family for the fear of them looking at me as though I am a weak person, and I would like to go to counseling without them knowing! Throughout this time period I have remained very active, working out 5-7 times a week in an effort to get my mind off of it, but with no success! Your input is appreciated,thank you!
you are taking how much vicodin? how often a day? and you said this has been going on for two years...

the best way to come off of any narcotic is to taper down off of it. that is the easiest way. and there is something called the thomas recipe that i am sure someone will post for you!

and yes, from my experience, my body will manufacture or at least magnify pain in order to justify it getting narcotics. i think the doc on this forum calls it a kindling effect...

i take it you have never gone through any withdrawls ever?

the doc will be along shortly! good luck to you!

amber
Good Luck. Follow advice and grit your teeth (stopping Vike). For me it helped to be AWAY from all my "triggers" (books, music, etc.) We left town for a long weekend.

That, and thank you for the emails this week. Though I did take  a break from the board daily life, thank you for letting me see those glimpses of your thoughts, lifes, and opinions.

Later,

rwc~
First of all, don't beat yourself up over this.  It is very difficult to get off this things.  I myself am only 2 days clean.  If you have enough self control, try to taper off, that is what I did and I barely have any w/d symptoms.  Also, keep posting, the people on this board are wonderful.

Well, if you like glimpses of thoughts & opinions, there is a verifiable busload for you over at DA.com.

Enjoy!

Dancin'
I am very new and posted for the first time today. I saw that it's been day number two for you and so am I. I did slip with a tablespoon of tussinex cough syrup but I have no more, good I think. I am so scared, the longest I was able to stop was under 2 weeks C/t I have used Hydro for more then 2 years at about 20 to 30 a day I have been tappering off by using Darvocette about 4 aday but felt I was prolonging withdrawls so I stopped. I really want this and any advice to and from would be helpful. I will read more posts to get more familiar with you and everyone else. Thanks TerTer
Don't be discouraged.  I had no choice but to taper.  I have 2 children, ages 2 and my oldest will be 9 tomorrow.  My husband is away all this week for a job and I think that I needed for him to be away...only b/c when he is home I make sure the house is spotless and dishes are done and stuff like that and when you are trying to quit that is a lot of pressure to put on yourself.  So for this week I'm just letting stuff go, take time out for myself.

If you want, there is another great board that Amber started and you will see my whole story.  There are a bunch of great people there, and very helpful.  They have helped me dearly.

http://forum.onecenter.com/friends_ah

That should take you to the board, if not, I'm sure Amber will give you the proper address.

Hang in there....it will get better.  My email address is ***@****, you can email me any time you wish...
How hard it must be to go through w/d with 2 lil ones mine are older but I couldn't imagine, It sounds like you have a plan, I don't know about you but the guilt is terrible for me when I don't get things done around the house and fix dinner for my husband. He keeps saying it's ok just relax and I'm so greatful for that but coming here gives me relief because you all understand what this feels like. I have eatten bananas which I think is helping with the leg aches. Any Ideas on sleeping I know it takes time but it goes by so slow..terter
If you can get you hands on some Valium or Xanax or even Flexeril (which is what I have now) they will help you sleep.  When I started tapering I had 4 valium and I would take 1/2 at bedtime.  The flexeril's really knock me out.

You will be ok....
Sorry to break up the is thread, but I need help really badly.  I just found this site today.  This is the first few days of being clean after stoping cold turkey from 120mg of Oxycontin daily.  I had been one them for 8-9 months for two herniated discs in my back.  I felt that the Oxys were a wonder drug when I first started taking them since no other pain killer helped.  I tried them all Vics, Percs, Lorocet, fent, morphine; but none helped my live pain free like the oxys.  About a month ago I realized that I liked them too much!!  I started taking anywhere from 120mg-200mg a day (all crushed).  I was prescribed 80mgs per day.  I deceided to go cold turkey when my script ran out two days ago.  To say I am going through hell is an understatement, I can barley type this post.  No sleep, shaking, ringing in my ears, sweeting, hot cold, my stomach is in knots, I have no desire to eat, infact all I want to do is die.  The only thing that helps is a hot hot shower, but I become dizzy so i have to get out, and then the bugs star crawling again.  What can I do??  Please i need help!!  If any kind soul could e-mail me, I could really use the support.

Thanks,

ZMAN

***@****
I dont know much about oxys only what I have read here, Mine was Hydro but I hear what you are going through is much worse. But so many here have done what you are going through now. What is it your looking for? There are so many options like talk to a doctor, Meth clinics, ect.. Look back on the posts thats were I got most of my info. What I can tell you is that it can be done and your in the right direction. Someone named Thomas has a recipe of vitamins and such that you can get from past posts. I am not a pro just been reading through posts for several months and decided to write just today but being here and reading is a good start and it does stop, it takes time I know that for sure because this is not my first time stopping, I'm sure someone more educated will post to you anytime but if you need to talk through it just drop me a line; good luck your on the right track don't give up.   TerTer
In response to the first post and to add with what Amber said, not only will you have to physical pain amplified by the addiction, but there will also be the mental manifestation of the addiction. Your mind will begin to give you reasons why you should take them again. Opiate addiction is one sly fox.  You only have your will on your side. (well, and us).

zman,
I don't take near that amount of hydro, but from what I know of  I would recomend a family doctor or even ER. That was a big amount to go cold turkey. Medical professional help, and a doc that understands opiate addiction, not someone that will put you on an antidepressant. Just personal opinion/advice. My prayers are with you man.

Thomas050

How do you know if you are going through withdrawl (withdrawal)?  Hope that doesn't sound too stupid.
Oh you"ll know, No energy, depression,no sleep but it depends on what you are taking for how long and how much. I have gone through it a few times I hope this to be my last. terter
You will definately know w/d.  You'll sweat, then get chills, your whole body will feel like you have arthritis (sp), depression, restless arms and legs, and no energy.

Then again, you may be lucky.  My husband has never had w/d from anything, not even heroin.  I swear the man isn't human.
god bless you for going cold turkey, but you are stonger then you think, im still using and have been  for two years. i have tryied to do it cold turkey and it doesnt work for me, im too weak i can stand the withdrawl (withdrawal) it is to much for me to handle!  But it sounds like you really want to stop and i hope you succeed ! posting here really helps and everyone here really has gone through everything you are going through and will go through!  ive gone 5 days at the most and after not sleeping   for 5days and not feeling any better, i just gave in to it all. i wish i didnt but i didnt see any other choice at that time. my email is ***@**** if you or anyone every want to send me anything or just talk. i hope someday soon i can get over this hellish nitemare!! some people are stronger than others ( alot of you here ) and  i hope someday  soon i will be clean and FREE !! good luck to everyone!!

teakettle2,
opiate addiction is very sly. But deep down, you know.

I have a Question related to one of the above posts, perhaps the doc could answer it?
(in cases of extreme or prolonged pain pill use and/or abuse)
Do you think there are some doctors that undertand opiate addiction better than others? Or perhaps specailize in it? I remember going to a local family doc w/ my girlfriend for her Vicodin addiction and he prescribed an antidepressant, which absolutely did nothing.

TIA
Thomas050
Congrats on your strength & convictions.  That's the attitude that will lead to success.

However, from all I know, a slow taper is the way to go when possible, espec. with Oxys as their w/d is apparently rather heinous - to say the least!  Do you have to work...soon?  

I would urge you to get some medical attn. ASAP.  Doc might give you a few meds to tide you through the next few days or put you on a taper schedule.

I'd also try to address your question to Dr. Boze.  Apparently, early AM is the best to get thru.

You are one strong guy but no need to go through untold angst in the process!  

Good luck!!!

Best,

Dancin'
response to how long and how much....5 months of hydrocodone either 5's or 10's    right after 3 surgeries i took about 4-6 a day  then usually one a day  maybe two...but mostly one
i stopped for 4 days...i still have shoulder pain but was afraid of addiction....i felt tired and my knees are aching and a bit irritable
well the shoulder hurts alot so i took one everyday for 5 days   but just one all day long...
is that withdrawl (withdrawal)?
You have very minor withdraw symptoms...you are lucky.  Please, don't start taking more then you need to or you will have horrible w/d.  The best thing to do is to stop now while your body isn't totally dependant on the vikes.  It is a ***** once you are trapped in this dark place.
zman, The withdrawals I suffer ruined at least 7 days. It started about 16hrs after I ran out. I get a really anxious feeling that knaws at me constantly. I suffer upper back and neck aches like I have arthritis. My stomach is torn up and I have no appettite. Sleep does'nt exist in this hell. I took 3 10mg ambien and slept 1 1/2 hours, so I dropped them too. Addiction to another drug comes really easy when it seems to relieve withdrawals. It kept playing over and over in my mind that I had to go to work the next day but I felt so much self pity for myself in this condition and I got myself so depressed and frustrated that I thought of suicide. But you know, after a couple days I was setting in the bed wide awake and I started getting sleepy, next thing I knew it was 4 hours later. 4 hours of sleep after the hell I thought I was in is like being born again. I woke still with cravings for the drug but with a brighter outlook on making it through this. After the 4th day my body started feeling like it had'nt in months. No more short tempered snaps at people, no more so drawn out and sleepy in the middle of the day I would leave work. My appettite came back and I honestly felt like a kid again. I wanted to go fish, walking, and outdoors instead of setting around my living room watching TV and popping 7.5's. 24hrs after I stopped the pills I thought there was use living, 7 days later it felt like I lost months of my life in a card game. You can make it, its very tough, but it gets alot better.
Thank you for your input,I have never been through a withdrawal before and maybe I am acting a little childish about this in the way that i am embarassed about m problem, I know i need to accept what i am into and fess up. This will and has been a learning experience for me.My parents do hold high expectations of me(I am 20)and I want to meet or come close to those expectations. I had a hard day today staying away from the vic. i could hardly stand it. I took 2 this evening and I feel that weaning myself off slowly will be the best way for me. I am down right now b/c I didnt realize how addicted i have become until today when i gave my all to make it! Iknow it will get better. I am visiting family in a week and I plan on going to the dr. i will do the thomas recipe! Thank yo for that! I was surprised by all of the responses, im sure you all know how much it helps to know that there are people there who know what you are going through and can support you! I will keep in touch and update you! Please keep writing with any other suggestions!
I am taking Vicodin ES up to 6 times a day for the past 2 years, only in the past month have i been taking ES for the past 2 years it was just "regular" vicodin, but my tolerance has increased . I have been trying to lower that on a daily basis, tonight i took 2 after going for 24 hours, I was going crazy,I believe that the best way to stop this is to wean myself off of the vic. Thank you for your reply!
All off opinions are simply that, but interestting. But then so is fiction. LOL. Some tug at on'e heart harder than others. WS: "The Truth Will Out."

There was one story/opionion here that was so powerful. After I get in from errands, if my kids havent commandeered the computer, I will look for it here again. I thought it was in this thread, but maybe another.

Have a successful day.

rwc~
Found it! The interesting story was the one about South Dakota. I hope she will keep up her writing and efforts.

Time for errands~
(tho it was more riveting comments on a narrative than 'off' opinions) GTG! rwc~
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  A special thanks to those of you who contacted me directly!!  You guys are helping me more than you know!  I know I will beat this, but it will be hard!!  I know that I can never touch another pain pill again, and that bugs me the most.  How sick is that?  I am going through hell because of these little pills, and all I want is another one!!  This is the worst think!!   They should not be called pain killers, they should just be called KILLERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh boy, i'm allowing myself to become informed of the actual addiction that I have.  I saw an article in REDBOOK and it's making me open my eye's.  I'm worried on how i'm going to do this.  I've been using Hydro for a year or so now and i'm at about 6-8 pills a day.  My fiance has noticed a change in my personality and so has my boss.  I suppose I need to accept the fact that it's the use of the hydro and that i'm addicted to it.  I want to go off of it.  I have about 15 pills left and I think I will wean myself.  My body knows my thoughts and is starting to show panic just over the thought of stopping.  I hope I can do without too much discomfort, but i think i'm looking at expecting alot of discomfort and I hope i can deal with it.  I'm glad i found this site.  I'm sure talking about it and the support will help.  I know I can do this...I just have to commit to it. Hmmmm, wish me luck please and prayers are most definitely needed.  Thanks for listening.
Hello every one

Well I had an absolute horrible 48 hours.  After making it 24 days going cold turkey off of 16 to 20+vicodan percs or lorry,
I caved today and took 2.  

I had been in horrible pain for almost 48 hours.  Monday I went to physical therapy as usual.  I have been working very hard to get my body back after being injured when I was 7 months pregnant.  I had my labor induced over 3 weeks early because i was hurt so badly I could barely walk..

One surgery and almost 18 months of physical therapy later I have been working very hard but due to my neck surgery fusion of c4-5 and c5-6 I have only just begun to use the treadmill and on Monday my Doc increased my upper body weights to 12 LB.  not a huge increase but it managed to inflame my neck so badly that I spent almost 2 days on the couch with heat  ice and a migraine for the majority of the time.

I could not stand the pain one minute longer.  I almost went to the emergency room at 4 in the morning.  Unfortunately my PT?Chiropractor is not in on Tuesdays so I had to deal with the stabbing pain and only motrin till this morning.  

God Bless you all and I hope I am able to limit my medication to the occasional Pain that is unbearable!!!  If the 3 weeks of detoxing does not keep me from abusing the medications again then I guess I learned nothing.  

I will discuss this with my pain clinic doctor and see what he thinks>

Trying very hard not to beat myself up over It but I really could not take it any more!!
Cleo
You broke my heart reading that. Im so sorry for your frusterations and pain. You seem to be headed in the right direction though. So you should be proud of yourself on that level. We care about you here so please let us know or me at least how you are doing. I will be thinking about you!!!!
Luv Erika
Thank you!

I will be forever greatful that I was refered to this site.

I really have no one to discuss any of this with.

I am not really a drinker or greenage (only at concerts and stuff like that.  and I have always been so tough, motivated and really could not believe that a bottle of pills could ever control someone like me.  Boy was i sorrily mistaken.

unfortunately meetings or drug rehab will never be an option for me I can barely get out for my physical therapy.

I have labored with 6 children and busted my a$$ to get back into shape after every one but the last one obviously.  After I had # 5 I was probably in the best shape of my adult life.  

This by far is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  

Thanks again for being here!!!!!!!!!!!

God grant us the power to change the things we can.  

cleo
To Zman
   Noticed your oxycontin post, tried to email you didn't get thru, I'm also a lover of morphine email me if you want to talk about your story further. 27 days clean COLD TURKEY BLUES! WAS SNORTING AND EATING THE S--T for a year.

Bless this site
The poppylover     email ***@****
I know what you are going through, it is hard to get off of these things and the hardest part is that most of us have never had a problem with drugs/alcohol before and it surprises us that pills would pull us in the way it has. I am so glad for this site for the reason of not feeling like i am the only one going through this.Having 6 kids has got to be a hard thing and I do praise you for that!! Hang in there, I am trying to slowly wean myself off of the vic. to see how that goes!! I dont know if you have seen it on here but there is a recipe, the thomas recipe i will post it for you. I have not tried it but most people on here that have mentioned it says that it rally does help!! Stay strong!

L-tyrosine 500 mg 8 a day week 1 , 4 aday weeks after.(morning)
b-6 100 mg 2 a day(morning)
viamines A- C- and e
calsium-magnisum
a strong multi vitamine.
copper, zimc, and magnesse
imodium (immodium) week 1
gatoraide and lots of water.
valume or xanax for sleep week 1 and 2.
lots of grens and bannas
lots of hot baths at night for restless leg and body.
by week 3 time to get the body moving , walk ride a bike , swim
]any kind of exersize to get the endorphines back upo and running
Ater your little comment on what these painkillers should be called. I could just invision going to the doc with pain and them looking at you with that all know all see sly grin,rubbing ther hands together saying hmmm I have just the thing.Take this little white pills there the nails to your coffin which will take care of everything. you have to forgive my brain I'm delirious I'm on my forth day of CT. my sence of humor is a little nuts and my spelling has gone with it. Good luck hang in there you can to this.
Sorry that thread closed right after you posted. Thanks for the kind words But I am just an old hippy and a drug addict. I chose to withdraw this time and like you this is my 72 time also. I am a chronic pain druggie. Have been for 10 and more years. I take my meds as directed and I smoke pot, I quit alcohol a year and a half ago because methadone kill that desire. Thank God!
I detoxed from methadone last August and found this place and I am back again like most of us. Bunch of addicts huh?
Thanks for posting and I know where you are coming from, sleep sux!    Bill
Hey bmac - glad to see ya posting.  You were here when I first starting posting about 8 or 9 months ago.  I had a 12-a-day vicodin habit, plus a fondness for washing it down with Jack Daniels.  You were one of the first people who posted to me, and were very kind, and for that I remember you with fondness.  You DID kind of just drop out, didn't you?  I remember asking about you on the forum a couple of times.  Anyway, you ole' hippy, glad to see you back.  Congrats for getting off the booze; sometimes I think that's as bad (or worse) than the pills.  Take care.  Love/Peace, Lisabet
Monday I went from 80mg norco to 25mg and have been there for four days I am functioning enough to get the kids to school and get em fed and ready for bed.  The nights are awful.  Question how long should I stay at 25mg and what will the wd be to stop that?  I have been taking these only five months but it is a relapse.  Last time I went to detox but that is impossible now.  My Dr. told me to take 150mg Zoloft. HAHA not really helping.  Any thoughts about this?
Hey you little darlin'-------( I sound like Bmac now.....!!)  I just saw your post way down below to me that you posted yesterday and I must tell you how good it made me feel to read your comments.  No big head here, sweetie--just a big, ****-eatin' grin because I am so glad to have helped  you and make you laugh in the process.  Addiction is a "dirty bidness" so we need to get through it  any way we can.  All of you have helped me immensely, too, so I guess it just shows ya: what goes around; comes around.  I love you, too, Doll! You're sweeter than snot and your compassion is IMMENSE!! We're lucky to have you here.......Love, Peazy
Not only does she sound like me, it is me, I am the hacker!
I could not resist that, sorry Cindy I was JK.........
Lisabet you must be from the south 'cause I am the only one that types Southern besides you! LOL
Skewz me.
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
No you're not Bman.  Now pass the grits and ketchup.
I got a possum that needs eatin'.
Grits cause brain damage.... And cousins to marry cousins. May I point out the fact that every incestuous Cousin/cousin couple have, at one point in their lives, eaten grits. I rest my case.

No offense to Bo, Luke, Daisey, Boss Hogg, Roscoe, Uncle Jesse or any of y'all that live in Hazzard County.

Uncle Jesse
Hey, Bill - you are right on target. I am "indeed" a "Southern Belle"...smile  What part of the south are you from?

Methman - I'm not south enough to do the grits thing; although down in South Carolina where my brother lives, it's definitely a staple.  Now-when he comes to stay with me during holidays, he expects his grits with breakfast. (Yuk - I'd sooner eat that possum!)....smile.  

Jesse - now dammit!  You know there's no bashing allowed on this board; that includes minorities, religion and southerners!!!! heh-heh.  I used to date a guy from Pittsburgh years ago (and still stay in touch with him), and BELIEVE me...there's nothing you could say that I haven't heard before! He delights in taunting me about my southern roots. (And come on, admit it - didn't you ever have a cousin you felt kinda "warm and fuzzy" around?)....smile.  

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Here in the LUXURIOUS south, we expect beautiful weather as usual...(yeah, right - rain and humidity)...  :)    xoxo  Love Lisabet
Thanks... Yes, You can use it.

I mean, That was confusing... The whole cousin thing! I MEA
I mean to say that whole warm and fuzzy thing with those cousin types~!
"huh"?  (Sorry, us southerners are a little "slow" also!)...smile  How are you feeling, Jess?  As we talked about before, I also suspect I have PN, as I suffer numbness in my feet that drives me nuts.  Then again, maybe it's just arthritis..I know when I flex my toes downward, they'll start to "draw" and take on a life all their own, and it's painful as hell.  It seems like the symptoms are a little better, since I cut our a lot of carbs from my diet (like bread, potatoes and sugar).  I don't know what the hell's wrong with me. It's a pain being a pre-menopausal, addictive prone, single mom with a 16-year old son....('nuff said)...smile. And to add to it all, I'm a "misunderstood" southern girl....ha.  Good-nite, handsome, have a good weekend. Your posts have always been a source of strength for me, even if you DO have a mean streak....smile.  Love, Lisabet
Yeah, Yeah....

Mean Jesse D. say, "goodnight LB"

You make me laugh!

Jess
Goodnite "Mean Jess".... :)  Love ya, too.  Lisabet
Nice to see some of the ol' crew back. Or at least back "here". Sad to say, I don't miss the ol' stompin' grounds.

Nice to hear from you Bill. Will get back to you soon "Buddy".
For the others, e's the same.

Chezz
Hello Im new to this site. I was just wondering if anyone can help answer my question.  I Just found out i am pregnant and i stoped taking Vicodines for 2 days now. Can anyone tell me how long do these withdrawals last.  I mean after how long will it get out of my system so i can feel normal again. i heard it takes 2-3 days. I hope somebody can answer my question.   Thanks so much and god bless all of you.
Going cold turkey while preganant is highly discouraged.. the spike is blood pressure during WD is not great for the baby.. I would call your OB...

You posted on a thread that is from 2003.. I would go to the top of the main page and post a new question so that current forum members can answer your question...

Welcome to the site..
When someone uses a search engine like google and they type in 'hydocodone addiction"  old posts come up...  they post on whatever thread comes up.. sometimes they are old.. Now that medhelp changed the settings so that recently posted to posts come to the top... this is happening.. Before they would have posted and we never would have seen it... Now we are seeing it all day.. I already sent a email to medhelp to see if there is a way to "direct traffic" so to speak.. to get new posters to the main new page...
I wander how this is happening, people posting on threads that are several years old?
hello everyone i'm new to this..i am  and i had my baby march of 2006 i had a c-section with her and i would not take any pain meds after her but i had alot of problems after everything was said and done i had to have surgery again so i've prob been taking vic some but for the last couple of weeks they were giving me prec's.i have had a total  30 precs in the past weeks.but my q is how long do withdrawals last and what are some of them i feel ok during the day other than not really in the mood to do anything.but at night i can't sleep my legs hurt. i tryed to wingd  myself off them i just hope i did it how i was supposed to i didn't ask anyone how i sould do it but i would cut them in half and take a total of 1 to 2 a day..can someone please talk to me and let me know what i sould expect...i stopped sunday.thanks everyone
danielle
How long were you taking them altogether??
I been taking vicodine for 3 years im at 12 a day.. I am terrified to get off... How can i get off?? please help
My name is Jesse, I'm from Southern California, I had a really bad accident at work were I happened to rupture my C-4 and C5 Discs. I have been on every thing that you can think of. And Just had surgery about 2 months ago. I have been on norco 10/325 for about 8 months and they just work to a certain point.  I really don't know what to do, because taking these meds helps sort of, but at the same time, But at the same time I have gotten used to taking these pills!!!  I'm really pissed off at all the the doctors, because all they think is that I'm trying to get them because I'm becoming used to them. I could go on for ever, but I'll try to make it as short as possible.  I really want to get off the pills, but at the same time I'm scared that I'll start feeling the pain again, and I'm one of those people that hate pain. My pain tolerence if very low I can't take any kind of pain what so ever.  If anybody has gotten off these pain pills, can you please tell me, if you did it by your self or had some kind of Medical help? Like I said before I've tried everything that you can think of, valium, xanax, and I can't remember that other names of the other meds.  But if anybody has any idea on what Meds I can try to ask my doctor to help me get off these awful pills please help!!!  I need to know what to ask my Dr., Jesse and thanks for listening to my whining, but I can't take this any more.  Again thank you.
i was taking vic 750s two a day almost every day for three to four weeks, and i recently stopped because i didnt like what was happening to me. two days later i have a panic attack, diarreah (diarrhea), sweating, dizzyness and feel completly not myself and felt fluish. next day another anxiety attack, not so severe, and this is day four and ive been having anxiety problems leaving me not able to go to school, but ive been able to sorta control it, and not have an attack. yesterday and the day before i had harsh headaches. everyday ive cried, feeling like im losing it or will never be the same, and the crying comes outta no where, i just get really emotional and break down. i feel sorta fluish when the anxiety comes around, and i feel like staying home most the day and sometimes it feels fine to go drive somewhere. no vomiting , or pains, but anxiety that is scaring me, and making me think i could just have developed anxiety disorder. do you tihnk this is all vicodin withdrawal, and if it is, is there any way i could still be developing anxiety disorder, or does the anxiety always seem to go away when the withdrawals do. sorry for all the questions, but im scared , and would really appreciate all the help i can. i guess my main question is : can the anxiety be learned and stay after the withdrawals are over, or does the anxiety dissapear with the other symptoms?
My husband has been talking vicoidine , as well as percs , vailum,and somas
he is now after 4 years   having withdarws i mean he has had them befor  but nothing like this.....
Iam very scared hes pale he s not been dring even water because hes soo weak from taking these stupid pills...........   please help if you know A GREAT withdarw come down ,julie
i came online to check out about withdrawal.and found out how hard it might be for others.i was on vic,oxy prc. lortabs,morph. for 6+ years.i have quit cold turkey,pretty much.i think ive taken 3 . 500 vics in 7 days...i am going through a living mother ******* HELL...im cold and hott.i just lost my girlfriend to a bad argument.havent slept more than 3 hours at a time.everytime i wake up in a pool of sweat ! change my cloths,my pillow.and sit there thinking when will it end !..its been 7 days..does anyone know when this hell on earth will end for me.im dieing ! plzz help ..ty all and Gl to everyone out there
It's a guessing game... but you should be through teh worst of it.. the hot/cold thing (for me) didn't end for about 2 weeks- i could never get my feet warm enough and they sweat too- it was weird.  plus the rest of my body... I passed the "flu time" and started to tell my children, "i've got mono" instead b/c it was lasting so long.  hot showers is the only thing that saved me, and the L-tyrosine helped my mental outlook when things were looking vERY bleak.  after a month clean I am still having insomnia issues- the restless legs though are thankfully gone. and that god-awful neck pain went away.  energy has returned- but motivation is still not there.  keep writing here... and to get more responses, you might want to post your question by starting a new "thread"... many people won't see this since it's an old posting.  _Rebel

PS- welcome!
I've been taking vicodin on and off for a couple of months but the past couple weeks ive been taking them everyday, im only 21 years old..i have a 10 month old baby and i dont want to take them anymore because its ruining my life..this is the first day off of them, and im nervous about sleep tonight because i know ill get the restless legs really bad (its happened before) and it makes me feel like im having an anxiety attack..is there anything i can do for that? if anyone knows about this please respond.  thanks
The original post for this thread is 4.5 years old. Those people are not here anymore. Start a new thread of your own. You will probably get more replies that way.
Good luck!
I had been taking vicodin for 10 years and then my dr. left for good and my new one decided to wean me by giving me 30  pills for the first week to wean me and then just stopped giving me them!!! now I have had to go cold turkey for the last week so bad thought about killing myself . But naw that wont do so here I am suffering , still can not sleep at night no energy no motivation no hope . This has got to be hell !!!! I am hoping that tommorro will be better for me and then it isnt. God help me . I will win this battle I have to. thanks for listening1
I have been taking vikes and perks for almost 2 years. I take 6 -8 a day.the strongest dosage.When  i wake up in the morning the first thing that i do is take 2 vikes or perks whatever i have at the time if I dont do this i fell pain all over my body like the flu and very tired and sad. and if i dont have it I freak out. I dont know what to do or how it got this bad, But I really want to stop depending on a pill to make me feel better.what can I do are there dangers in stoping suddenly? any help wilill be greattly appreciated and taken seriously
the first thing you should do, is go to the top of the page a repost this question so you will get more responses, the beginning date on this thread is may 2003, so it is old and you may not get many responses.
it normally is not dangerous to stop taking opiods when your addicted...just damn uncomfortable and lousy feeling for quite a while, unfortunately.  you can go cold turkey or you could do a taper regime.
suboxone is also a viable option, so you do have some options, it isnt easy, but it can be done with any of these options if you are committed and really want it.
a lot of people here have done it with the 3 options i just listed...repost your question so you can get more support...
good luck!  
Iv been taking vicodin/percs/oxys for about 2 years now. and I really never found a reason to stop. Everytime i tried to stop I had bad withdraws.

Morphine pills help for me.... ill take two. to help me get through the day. and the next morning i wont have to take anything to feel good enough. idk. maybe its an alternative to taking vicodin. just try it if you really want to stop taking vicodin and need something to just make you feel normal.

Good luck to everyone and godbless
isnt that changing one for the other....
for those 'addicted' to vicodin and wutever hydrocodone ect narco wutevers i would jus taper off. try get ahold of some valium or xanax itll help with the anxiety and the valium will help put u to sleep also. the valiums the best it almost releases an opiate feeling to take the w/ds away. ive been addicted to oxycontin for about a year about 320 to 400mgs of oc a day. trust me i know about withdrawals. b4 oc i was on other meds vics percs lortab ect for years until i was on the stronger **** which left me for dead lol. its an evil addiction but there are some things i would suggest for oxycontin addiction:

if i wanna stop asap u can try get ahold of some methadone. DO NOT LIKE IT!!!! DO NOT GET ADDICTED TO METHADONE!!! if u think oxy w/ds are bad try 6 months a that ****. not fun. but anyway. be strong about it if ur gonna get methadone. do not take more than 2 or 3 a day it is merely to get rid of the withdrawel symptoms. it is an opiate blocker so even if u take a methadone pill if u try to take any kind of opiate (heroin, pks...) then u wont be able to feel it. it stays in ur system for days. i wud suggest getting about a few methadone 10mg pills and start off taking 1 or 2 at a time wen u start having w/ds then ONLY  take 1 or 2 wen u are feeling ******. try not to take it more than 4 or 5 days. and dont over use it!!! AND DO NOT MIX IT WITH BENZOZ! (xanax ect..) it can be deadly...

*FOR OXY ADDICTION ONLY*another option is tapering off id say over a month. get like 100 vics n valium or xanax n start off taking enough to get rid of the w/ds.  lessen the amount everyday..then wen ur nearing the end of the month u shud be down to maybe one dose a day or so and after that the w/ds should be super minor. thennnn thats where the valium comes into play. take that **** wen ur feeling the w/ds toward the end and take hot baths and sleeeeeep!!! YOULL BE GOOD IN NO TIME!!! hope i could help some 1 out. take care peeps. one.
and wut viking fan sed up there about taking morphine instead of vics...DO NOT DO THAT. THATS WORSE!!! hahah damn dood seriously...that is changing one for the other and once ur hookd on morphine the withdrawls are gonna be way shittier than vicodin w/ds trust me.
What is your version of tapering off??
How do you taper off.  how do you determine the amount??  how do you know it is working?? And how do you fix a marriage that you messed up b/c of theses stupid pills??
Hello everyone, man I read everyones comments and don't feel bad. We are all in this world of screwed up doctors giving us dangerous medications we become highly addicted to in order to get some comfort in painful times.  I myself have lower back problems {bad discs} and take vicodin ES on the regular.. I usually run out before my next script and just deal with the w/d symptoms. It ain't too bad for me, just amplified pain, can't play the computer games like I can when i`m high. But my script always is filled , I get 100 every two weeks. Kinda sad how   I blow that many, some I give away to friends but I don`t lie to myself. I have a problem. If your a drinker/smoker thats my best recipe for you. Just chill out smoke a bowl eat alot of food and drink a little beer at night to fall alseep.  Im new to this board so ill be around :) Thanks for everyones info

-w
  I have bin takeing opoids for the past 3 yrs do to rsd reflex sympethitic distrafie srry cant spell  i have had all of the opoids evn phentynal  i started to self taper 6 months ago but the pain clinic told me it was a violation of the opoid contract i had with the office i have taperd from 125 micro grams an hour to no phentynal  he prscribed me kadin a morphine sulfate controlled release but my problem is the  mental damage that is being done by the docs yes there no cure there is no fixing it but i dnt need 8 milligram dalodin 4 times a day i dnt even want the  kadian  so i stoped pains the same as it was on the treat ment what was the point i have bin clean for 72 hrs and it is so hard not only from the rsd pain but the with drawls  are just makeing it worse ppl think there is nothing worse then pain nut there is its called addiction   it is so hard i riped up my scrips  and stoped going to suport groups  beacuse everyone there  shares there meds openly  its hard when ther is no help or the kind we want and realy need   rember the difrence between me and a addict is i have a pice of ppaper saying its ok
I took 12 pills for a year and a half.  For the first 6 days took one and a half Vics and last 5 days a half darvo.  Today all clean and still feel like I could kill anyone and everyone.   It is not believable how my stomach feels and how angry I am.  Have been drinking and taking Xanex to keep withdrawal down.   Its hell I just wish it would stop.  Its been 12 days of hell and I feel like giving up because 2 weeks of this **** is worse than death
I have been taking vicodin, percs, for about two and half years now, I know how everyone feels.  I have always done everything right, had a good job and the mother of four.  But, I know that If I don't quit taking these things, I am going to loose everything I have ever worked for.  I have always believed that anyone could do anything, but this is the toughest thing I have ever dealt with.  Myself, I am trying to come off of them too.  I always thought I could do it myself, but anymore I am questioning my strength.  I hope that I am strong enough to do this for myself and for my kids, my whole life depend on this.  So, thank you to everyone that posted, because for those who have never had an addiction like this don't understand it and the guilt alone kills you.  So be strong everyone and hopefully, we can all get through this together.  
i think i need a sponsor, i know i can ween off of them but to talk with someone will help, is there anyone willing to be a sponsor for me?
Welcome to the forum. You posted on an old post so it would be best to start your own. Go to top and hit 'Post a Question' button. As far as sponsors, we don't really do that here. Everyone pitches in and helps you, it works pretty well. If you need a sponsor too. NA or AA is a good place to start.
I read what you had to say and I am basically in the same place.  It is an amazingly hopeless and overwhelming feeling.  I still don't know if I should just stop or pretend that it would not feel better to do it slowly.  I am so sad today!
I have been on Vicodin for back pain (herniation,fusions,scoliosis,and arthritis) for 7 years. I just recently had to start uping the dose and last Tues.was my first day without any. I have gone cold turkey and the withdrawal is horrible.
My back is screaming at me, my head aches, the chills and sweats are driving me mad.
I have called my doctor and am waiting for a call back. They couldn't help me last week because no one was in the Office on New Years. They told me to go to the ER.
I was to ashamed. I never thought this could be me.
I have lived with all this pain since I was a child,also had bi-lateral amputations above the knees when I was 2 and never needed pain help until 2000.
I am 38 and scared of what will I do in the future to cope with pain when I can't use the stuff now.
The doc did give me hydros to see if they would work after the vicodin,but it didn't touch my pain,so back on vicodin I went.
I was given a low does fentynal patch for my back,but that does not help with the withdrawal.

All this to ask: how long does it take for all or most of the symptoms to go away?
Thank you so much in advance!
estee
Sorry!!!
I thought I had started a new thread and then realized I posted under your post. I would delete it if I could figure out how!
esteeruth
does anyone know how long hydrocodone shows up in urine.  I'm in the process of tapering off, but I may need to take a drug test for a potential new job.
I was in Iraq for 12 months and recently returned. I was experiencing anxiety like you wouldn't believe. so i went to my doctor and he gave me a script for xanax, which i hated. it made me feel like a zombie and i could not stand it. after a week i went back to the doc and told him that a had been taking vicodin instead of my xanax because it works so much better on anxiety.  he prescribed me 60 pills of vicodin es. i had four refills. well i went through the vicodin pretty fast and i loved them, loved the way they made me feel. i was addicted and i knew it, but i still jst shrugged it off and said F*ck it i still have refills left. by the end of my refills i was getting anxious because i knew i was gonna run out. THE ONLY THING I DONT UNDERSTAND IS WHY WOULD A DOCTOR PRESCRIBE A PAIN KILLER FOR ANXIETY AND THEN MAKE ME GET OFF OF IT COLD TURKEY!?!?!?!? Its like some sick joke or something. I went in there with anxiety and now instead of fixing my problems they made it worse i am going through withdrawals right now and it *****. i just want to feel normal. i started taking the recommended amount and i was fine. now i have to take 10-15 pills a day to feel normal and i hate myself for it. i am struggling with a relationship right now and its just a crazy situation. What can I do to just feel normal, how long do withdrawals last? what has helped other people?
I also am addicted to Vicodin, I take 5 pills a day, 7.5, I cant understand how people can take from what I have read, 10 to 20, it contains that ingredient that your not suppose to take more than 4000 mgs a day, How are you able to stay alive?  I'm so afraid to take more than 5 a day.  I'm surprised these people taking 10 to 20 are not at the ER or worse than that.  
hello been takeing 10 to 12 es"s 750's for 6 yrs and wanna stop taking them without getting sick any suggestions,thanks
I am a mother of a 7,4,and 1 year old. I started taking vics about 1 and a half yrs ago. My life is falling apart and my marriage is in shambles. I've tried stopping a few times but couldn't but I have never wanted anything in my life more than this right now. My kids and husband deserve better. Today I took 1 and I'm used to about 7 I think I can wean myself off b/c I can't go through w/d with these babies they need me. Please pray for me it helps a WHOLE lot to read everyones stories and to know that I'm not alone.
This post was started in 2003 so you won't get many replies on it.  Start a new post and you'll get answers and support much more quickly.

As far as stopping the vicodin you can do it.  The fear of the withdrawals is worse than the actually withdrawals.  When you stop you'll feel bad for a week or two with the first 3-4 days being the worst and then the physical parts will be over.  You can do it.  By the 5th or 6th day you're on the downhill side.
For the people who want to quit without shame and full support from others I would suggest AA OR NA meetings . There you will learn about the addiction and SOLUTION to quitting pain killers.  My prayers go out to all.
I have been taking 3  10mg Vicodin daily for 2 years. I am running out and have no refills. For some reason, my doctor is not returning my call or refilling the rx. She may be out of town. idk. I plan to cut to half the amount until I run out. Would it be safe to stop cold turkey then? What effects can I expect?
I have been taking 20-30 10mg norcos for 5 years in July and never think i will see the day where i dont take any.  I am sure I will be dead before too long as my body is begining to shut down and react to the years of abuse.  If only someone would have told me how bad it would get when i began taking these at 16 I would not be in this situation now.  Too everyone who is thinking of stopping after 2 years or less please do so now.  Dont think of excuses to continue taking them just look at yourself in the mirrow and really examine your life and where it is.  Chances are you will either break down or the medicine has numbed you so much you will just feel nothing.  Goodluck to all you and I hope you do better then me.
Please get into some type of in patient treatment.  Dont just throw in the towel and think this is the only way it will be.  There is hope and you can get off these pills.

Go to the top of the page and where it says Post a Question in that green box just click on that and make a thread of your own.  We will be here to support you.......sara
my name is chip Ive been sober for 25 years. till about 8 years ago i own a a/c co for 20 years . I had 4 backs surgerys  in 4 years and then got cancer and had 3 more surgerys. so of they my dr gave vicdion dame its all mst cost my wife of 22 years and co the last i went for 12 to 20 pills to down to any were to 2 yo 6 a day in the last 5 weeks . Cutting has help i went cold about and almost die for the withdraws.i
I just had RFD done on my so i cvan stop but 7 days after the RFD had my lower back in bad in worest than just .Ihope its starting sone Iam so close to shopping i go 12 to 15 hrs the trick is to stay busy you must control your mind its not going to control me GOD BLESS STAY STRONG WELL GET YOUR LIFE BACK CHIP
Sigh....I have been taking vicodin for almost a year...I take 2-4 10 mil. Every since my daughter was born I have horrible back pain. The dr keeps giving it and I keep taking it. I dont know if Im addicted but yes when I am about to be out...it makes me anxious. Its like when I first started taking them I had to take 2 to get moving in the moring and Id be wide awake and happy. Now I take the 2 and it makes me talkative but not as motivated. I dont know what Im looking for....so feel free to comment. Please.
I am in the same situation as the rest of you. I take 5 7.5 vic's a day. I am a professional and work in a firm with high net worth clients. I do great at work when I'm taking the vic's. I ran out with three days before my refill. I instantly started scrambling calling ppl I knew had them. Everyone was out. I did manage to get 6 10mg valium which has helped but leaves me tired and un motivated. Last night was my first nite without the vic's and it was tough. I was up all nite with jumpy legs. I felt like screaming outload to release the feeling. This really sux. If I survive until I get my refill I am going to ween off, I have had it with these things.
I'm also going through w/d to Hydros & I've got 3 lol ones. My oldest is also 9 (: They r the main reason I want to quit & my marriage. My husband also takes Hydros less than I do but he's pretty going through what I am right now. Today is really my 1st day w/o a lot...I've had 1 today broke in half. I'm trying so hard but my knees & head r killing me...the restless legs is enough to want to saw my own legs off. I've taken a tiny piece of a xanex & I'm praying that does some good. Any advice is def appreciated. Thanks good luck to everyone in this terrible fight.
Well 2008 (I was 19)  my "friend" at work noticed I was taking some vicodin for some dental work I had recently had done. She literally begged me for some meds even told me she would pay me for them... I thought she was crazy I was so afraid to take those things- I had 0 clue of why she would want to buy them from well I took one with her, I don't recall how it all happened but I do know it escalated dramatically + fast. I took a half a day then 2 a day, 4 a day, 6 a day and before I knew it I was taking 20-22 a day... My life slow revolved around vicodin its all I would think about..... I ditched my friends so I would have money for vicodin I would lie and doctor shop, I would borrow money from my parents and lied to them, I hated what I had become and I never though addiction would be my problem. Keep in mind I am about 5'3 and weigh 115 I was taking dosages that could have nearly killed me!!! Yup 20-22  10/325Well bye 2010 I was broke jobless and isolated I was tired of it so dec 2010 I broke down prayed harder than I've ever ever prayed, I was ready I admitted I needed help and I committed to kicking the habit out of my life, I went cold turkey and on day 4  I told my parents they cried and cried but supported me all down the road, by day 5 I went and got some suboxone I am now 7 WEEEKKKSSS clean tomorrow!! We can do it guys, be strong mind over matter!!!  Get some meds if you need them (suboxone works miracles) for those of you who have money issues there's assistance so no excuses- I know this first hand!! To it for your families and loved ones' but more importantly do it for yourself!!! We all deserve out lives back!!!!  Well 2008 my "friend" at work noticed I was taking some vicodin for some dental work I had recently had done. She literally begged me for some meds even told me she would pay me for them..
This is day two for me and cant sleep. I have been taking hydro for about two years 5 - 6 pills 10s. I had back surgery and thought I could stop at anytime and it has been hell.I am trying this Thomas recipe to see how it works. I am a strong person and think I can do it. I stopped smoking 15 years ago cold turkey. Thanks for the advice it has helped.
Don't be embarrassed. Addiction is an illness. Anyone can become addicted to narcotics because of the pill's chemical make-up. They work by sending signals throughout your body to make it feel incredible. Who wouldn't want to feel this...

The best thing to do, and I know first hand trust me, is to bear down and take the pain of withdrawals. This isn't the best feeling in the world but it is the best remedy. Masking the pain with other drugs such as Xanax is the absolute WORST thing you can do. You risk the chance of becoming dependent on yet another prescription drug.

Stay physically active and your body will train itself to release these chemicals naturally. Find a hobby, and avoid your "triggers". Surround yourself with loved ones. Get over the initial pain of the 3-day withdrawal hump and its much easier from then on.

This is not an easy feat but it is definately possible to accomplish. I hope this helps you. Respond back if you have any questions/comments. I'm glad to give any advice for I have been there on numerous occasions. I'm not perfect, no one is.
I have been Taking vicodin for about 8 months, i was 9 months pregnant and had plecenta abrubtion, i was rushed to the hospital where i had an emergency c section, and delivered a healthy baby boy:) about a week later i started having severe pain in my back in shoulder, i was rushed back to the hospital once again where they found i had 3 blood clots in my lung and a piece of my lung has died i am only 22 btw . i was then perscribed vic i started taking them and was like WOW this is a miracle drug.. "I FEEL NO PAIN" but i started taking more and more and then i was calling my doctor 2 or 3 times a month getting more vic or morphine. i started weining my self off about a month ago and went from 7 a day, to 2 to 3 a day. it was just yesterday i went to the doctor for my follow up cat scan results and they found something wrong with my liver:( they said pain medicen is the main cause so i decided to just stop. i felt GREAT untill the night when the withdraws hit, most horrible feeling ever! but i woke up this morning feeling good a little hot and cold sweats and restless legs but nothing i cant handle i have no one family or friend wise i can talk to because i never told them my addiction this site is amazing and everyone going threw it, it can be done keep your head up just remember your stronger than DRUGS! ..  
I just found this site. I want to stop taking vicodin so bad. I want to be able to get up without the pain sickness and being so sweaty. I want to not have to worry about not having enough and omg how am I gonna get up tomorrow. I'm at the point of how?? Please some one give me hope.
HI and welcome to the forum glad you found your way here ......we can help we do home detoxs every day there are 2 schools of thought out on how to do this if your in good health no heart problems or high B/P you can do it in about a week if you got strong will power and long perseverance you can us a slower aproch and try to taper you use till your no longer using .....this softens the withdrawals but spreads them out over a month or so ....hence you feel less sick but over a longer period ......spend some time reading the posts you will find people that have done it both ways you will need to pick witch way you think will work best for you as a general rule of thumb just jumping and getting it over with in a week seems to be the ezer of the 2 to do and gets it over with .......I would tell you to also go to the top of this page and start your own post go to the post a question (green box) click on it and start one you will get a lot more responses from a new post apposed to the old one your on read and then read some more look to the lower right ther are health pages loaded with good info ...look up the thomas recipe and pick up the stuff suggested it will soften the blow a bit we can talk some more I will look for your post give us an idea of how much your using for how long and mabe some thought on how you would like to go about doing this we will work with you from there.....congrats on wanting to take your life back this will be one of the best decisions of your life goood luck and God bless......Gnarly      
Just looking for a little support, if anyone can offer some friendly advice it would be much appreciated.
I Hope someone replys soon.  Im 19 years old and i was subscribed Vicodin after having my daughter 2 years ago. I was only a kid i was getting them in the hospital and when i left i got a script. I loved the way they made me feel and taking all the pain away. After all of my vics ran out my friend had some that they didnt take so i gave her a few dollars for her script. Im pretty sure i was hooked after that then from there life was hell. I had to worry about where i was going to get my next dose how i was going to. I have quit a few times when almost a month with out them and relapsed. this is my first day with out anything i had took my last one mid day yesturday. i didnt take much anyways up to 2 or 3 a day. So i know my withdraws wont be like others but i do have them and they suck. I dont kno what to do im freaking out. Someone told me Mini thins- energy pills work to help with withdraws. does anyone know if that really helpss?
I have had an addiction to vicodin on and off for 3yrs now...my latest bout has lasted about 6months w me taking up to 7 vicodin es a day. I'm in my second day and feel so awful. Can't work cuz I'm in the bathroom either throwing up or having diarrhea...I have a 3yr old and 12yr old and am trying to stay strong but I feel so hopeless right now. I don't kno what to do, I didn't taper, just stopped cold turkey when my workmans comp doc decided not to call me in  another refill. Pls help...
Don't give up because you aren't alone. I am going to try and quit after 3 years of taking Vicodin.  I have tried to stop many times but when I am having a bad day with the kids or my husband has hurt my feelings I run to take one or more to feel that high I have grown to love more then life itself.  It is going to take my life if I don't stop and I know you feel the same way.  We can do this!! I will pray for your strength.
I would love to talk to u about getting off pills. This is weird but im stuck and need help.
Im going through withdrawls and it sux i had a back fusion 6 months ago and now im cut off i dont know what to do viks are hard to *** off of dont kno what to do
I am a mother of 6 kids, I started taking pain killers almost 2 years ago. I went from taking a half of one for bout a month then a whole one and so on now I'm up to bout 8 to 15 a day. I don't get a buzz anymore I just feel normal and I miss feeling normal without taking anything thing. I am spending about 300 to 400.00 every two weeks. I want to be me again and I hate the fact that I'm spending so much money. This isn't like me I've always been in control and now I'm not and I'm scared. I've tried for 1 day of not taking anything and I only made it til 5:00. Plz some one help me. What should I do?
Ive been using vic's for over 2 years now The most I took in a day were up to 10 and I would mix them with oxy's.
I make attempts to quit and I do but the longest has only been for a week. I am currently on day 3 of quitting cold turkey and the way I look at it is you get flu like symtoms (symptoms) so I treat it as if I have the flu I take dayquil for the day and nyquil for the night thats the worst part the night. Which I know its not good but like I said I treat it like if i were sick the first day ***** but then the next day gets better. Everyones diffrent in their mind and how they accept quitting. I know for me I would get anxiety and drinking tea also helped melllow me out. Its a process and you will get through it if you really want help.
I worry for my health especially my liver I have kids and a wife. So I want to stop I dont want to die young because of my selfish addiction. I really hope the best for everyone who is trying to quit. I will keep you all in my prayers.
I've been taking about 10 Vic's or norcos a day for 2 years. I want to stop so bad. I want my life back. I'm sick of being dependent on this horrible pill. I'm sick of lying to everyone to cover up my addiction. I' hate myself and think about suicide every day. Everything I read says "oh Vicodin w/d aren't so bad, just deal with it" but to me it is the absolute worst feeling I have ever experienced in my life. When I stop I just want to die. I get 150 5mgs/ month from my doc but they never last, I end up going to the ER or buying from drug dealers. What do I do??????
First of all go back to the main forum page and click "post new question" and start an up-to-date thread. This is old and will fall away quickly.

YOU CAN DO THIS. I'm sorry the w/d is so hard for you but there are many ways to moderate the symptoms. Check out the Thomas recipe at the bottom right of this page, and post a new question and listen to the members.

No matter how bad the detox is, the worst is done in 5 days. I feel your pain. I could have written your post myself. I have cut back during the last week or two to about half of my normal intake and today I have one pill left. I work until noon and after that it is cold turkey for me. You have my best wishes and prayers for success. You gotta work for it so psych yourself up with a quick taper (take less) and then jump! YOU CAN DO IT.
Im new at this and I think its time for me to reach out for help.I have several issues including pins in both my feet, arthritis all thru out my body, very badly in my hands and back, my back has a fracture in the thoracic vertebra and several herniated and buldging disks that resulted from a fall in 12/2009 as wel as stone nerve issues thru my arms and hands.I explain all that to describe the issues that left me in this situation.I've had vidicon on and off for years but continually since 2009 after the fall and with other health issues and my tolerance increasing im up to 2 every 6 hours or eight per day. And I've found im running out early, ( at last months refill my pharmacy accidentally filled my prescription with 10 mg tabs instead of 7.5 mg) and I've found since then th7.5 mgs don't work the same. I need to get off this stuff I know im addicted. I've tried to go cold turkey before ( usually when im out and don't request refills) the wd is horrible!!  I usually can only make it 3 days. I did get to 12 days once and ended up in the hospital with kidney stones and ovarian cysts...go figure so right back on out I went. Any help getting thru the wd is much appreciated!!
I have been taking vicodin for years. i have tried to quit several times,and even after 3 weeks clean i felt like hell.I FINALLY TALKED to someone that had also tried to quit several time and now has been clean for over a year.He said the secret to quiting is WATER i looked at the guy like he was crazy. day one the only hard part was not taking them and drank a gallon of water.DAY 2 also drank a gallon of water around noon felt like i wanted to die bad headaches and my balance was off couldnt function at all.DAY 3 FELT BETTER but headaches,did not drink water like i was supposed to,started drinking water latter in day headaches stopped.DAY 4 woke up I FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS DESTROYED MY REMAINING PILLS DRANK MY GALLON OF WATER DURING THE DAY.DAY 5 YET TO COME BUT ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE NOTICE MY ATTITUDE IS MUCH BETTER,APOLOGIZED TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND TOLD THEM ABOUT MY PROBLEM AND THAT I WILL NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN. Things to look forward to THE WORLD IS ALOT BRIGHTER THAN YOU REMEMBER,YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET UP IN THE MORNING,YOU WILL HAVE MORE ENERGY,i thought i  couldnt get up without the pills I WAS WRONG.YOU WILL FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF.
I have had three back surgeries, and one neck surgery. I worked as a trash man for over thirty years when it was done solely by me lifting 55 gallon drums before containers were introduced to the industry. I tore my body up and had fusion on my back and I do suffer daily from the pain. I was informed that I also have degenerative disc disease. My level just under the fusion is now close to bone on bone. I have been taking hydrocodone 10-325 for at least 10 years. 240 tablets a month. In the past I did feel that I was addicted and tried to stop. It was very difficult. I could not stop because of the so called Dt's which included the butterfly creepy feelings, the jitters, the spasms when trying to sleep etc. One day my my back doctor prescribed a medication to me to also help relieve my daily pain. It was GABAPENTIN 300 mg. I ran out of my regular hydrocodone fix early and I was really freaking out worried that I would have to deal with the DT's. I will be damned. The GABAPENTIN eliminated all of the DT's. No suffering what so ever. I quit cold turkey for a month without any problems other than the diareah for a week which is expected. I was able to regain control of things and gained self control of things. Please try this if you are suffering from the addicted feeling it worked for me. The prescibed GABAPENTIN was 300 mg's. One to two caps in the AM. One to two in the Mid Day, and three at bedtime. I hope that this helps anyone in need.   If you want to talk about anything. I will offer my support here for anyone who wants to talk about it.........Good Luck!   And God Bless You All.     Wayne   :  )   Portage Indiana U.S.A.