Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tylenol3 vs. Vicodin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tylenol3 vs. Vicodin

Thanks for your responses on my last question. My gyne (who isn't exactly aware of my pain med. "history") called in some Tylenol3 yesterday for the cramps. I called my psychiatrist first, but he didn't call back, so I had to call someone else. I would have ended up in the ER otherwise.
SO my question is, why does Vicodin seem to work so much better than Tylenol 3 when they are (so I have been told) essentially the same thing?

Again I'm ticked because the one medicine that really knocks out this pain without knocking me out is being withheld.
I am really getting tired of this.
The doc has sugggested a laparoscopic surgery to look for endometriosis. With my luck, I'll be given some advil for post-op pain management.
My last two dentists sent me home with a smile and a bill after double root canals and molar extractions-my mother seems to get pills after a cleaning.
I don't get it.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but vicoden is so much better than tylenol3 due to vicoden having hydrocodone and tylenol has codine, a much weaker analgesic.
I was told by a dentist that Codeine is a natural opioid, and hydrocodone is the synthetic version of codeine.
That' sall well and good, but I know for a fact that I feel much differently when taking one vs. the other.
Maybe he was handing me a line.
(I sound so paranoid)
Codiene sucks.
No, its true what he said, but hydrocodone is a much much stronger version than natural codine, that why it works better at such a small dose
Sorry Spook, I was in a hurry.  You're 100% correct though.
Somebody tell you fibs!!!!
Tylenol=Codeine
Vicoden=hydrocodone
Hydrocodone much better pain reliever and withdrawals,once dependent on equianalgesic doses to Codeine far more Tolerable.
Addiction Liability(abuse potential) of Vicoden is greater than Tylenol.
You see motive now?,doc either moron or very stupid,OR have you a history of Opioid Abuse that warrants you having to suffer pain and not get any Hydrocodone(Vicoden)?.
Ask for a referral for pain mangement.If you still do not get the Goods.
It is spelt Codeine,and it really sucks,get the Hydrocodone or Dihydrocodeine,or the oxycodone or maybe oxymorphone,then again why not morphine?.Codeine makes me SICK.Did you know that even though Codeine is a "Natural" Opioid all of the Medical Supplies are actually made by Methylating Morphine in a Pharmaceutical laboratory(not exactly natural)is it then?.
Go the Morphine,kill to get it if you have to,well maybe a few Opium Poppies anyway.
Doctors, Dentists etc.. have a habit of giving older patients more pain medication generally because they have this picture that the older the more responsible, and less succeptable to addiction or abuse.  Which may explain your mother getting pills thrown at her.  In my experiance I have seen so many old people going to 5-6 doctors and getting prescriptions of 100 Vicodins ES with 2-3 refills apiece!  At every doctor!  Trust me it is crazy and a problem!
     While when I have honest to God horrible back pain from a football injury the most I could get is 30 tablets of 5mg Vicodin for 60 days.  I am literally in pain half the time, but I hear "Sorry, we can not call in any more"  This is ridiculous!  Some old bag, is getting about 15-20 ES Vicodin a day, where I can't even get 1 a day for terrible pain.  Something is wrong.  I wonder where my taxes go!  To Social Security!
......Great minds think alike! lol  I'm waiting for the day I get bashed for posting on an addiction site about chronic pain, but hell I like these people.  I will be an addict one day.  If only I can find a responsible, educated doctor who can monitor my pain and my "powerful, potent, pain-killer," all at the same time. lol  There are those dirty words again.   "Pain killer" Pain killer"......gee what do you think it means......Pain killer.  hum.  Ok, I'm sure you don't want to hear any of this.  Just thought I'd let you know your not alone.

Annie

Ps.....I found your post! lol
I don't know if anyone is going to see this since the thread is pretty old now. Perhaps someone will browse down the line and read. Hope so.
Anyway, I am highly irritated at the MD who answered my question with a "drug seeking behavior" diagnosis.
How classic..textbook..predictable. This is the BS I encounter so often that makes me want to scream, but I am so damn voiceless. I don't have a P.H.D.
I just have my pain. The pain that could be treated because there is an arsenal of chemicals being manufactured that can knock out just about any damn knot, ache, jab, stab, cramp, spasm, and so on.
But it is confusingly given to some folks and not others.
Somebody else is deciding how much pain I should have to tolerate. Somebody else has complete control over the quality of my life right now.
Drug seeking behavior?
How about relief seeking behavior?!
I can't sleep or eat or speak right now because I am not being given any pain relief for the extensive dental work I had done yesterday.
Yeah, I hate the pills. I wish I never got that first prescription for Vicodin so many years ago...but its too late for that now.
I wish I could retreat to a Buddhidt Monastery or something of the like and detox in utter peace with the guidance of someone who can get me back in touch with my soul.
But I am here in Typical Town, USA with my mundane, unrelenting responsibilities, and I have to get through the day. I have to take care of my family. I have to stand up.
This isn't something that anybody else should have control over but me.
So I will have to continue to "seek drugs" until a better solution is offered.
Perhaps a G*d D*amned cure for Fibromyalgia.
Sorry. I'm done for now. Thanks for listening
Pixie
keep pressin them docs pix..... i switched to a doc that doesn't like to prescribe but i told her i have pins in my foot due to surgery and i need them..... she relented even tho she didn't want to.... told her i need to walk and work and go to school...... good luck to ya
codeine is converted into morphine in the body.
Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics

The major effects of codeine are exerted on the central nervous system, and the bowel. Like other opiates, its primary effects are a result of binding to opioid receptors in the brain and other parts of the body. Codeine has a weak binding affinity for the mu-opioid receptors; however, roughly 5% to 10% of codeine is converted into morphine, which has a high binding affinity for mu-opioid receptors. The primary metabolites of codeine are morphine, and codeine-6-glucuronide. Not only is codeine converted into morphine in the body, but also several other active compounds. The approximate distribution is as follows: codeine-6-glucuronide (~70%), norcodeine (~10%), and hydromorphone (~1%).

Conversion of codeine to morphine occurs in the liver via cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP2D6. "CYP3A4 produces norcodeine and UGT2B7 conjugates codeine, norcodeine and morphine to the corresponding 3- and 6- glucuronides. Approximately 6–10% of the Caucasian population, 2% of Asians, and 1% of Arabic have poorly functional CYP2D6 and codeine should be virtually ineffective for analgesia in these patients (Rossi, 2004), although it is speculated that codeine-6-glucuronide is responsible for a large percentage of the analgesia of codeine and thus these patients should experience some analgesia."[1]
to the person who commented about getting 30 5mg hydrocodone for 60 days for backpain, and dentists giving out 20 vics with 2-3 refills, i see that also.  You usually need to go to a oral surgeon type dentist, but it happens with regular dentists.  It's harder then people think, but still happens moresooften now.  Codeine, I think, is more sedating, but in a different way.  Hands down, hydrocodone is far better.  I heard in liquid it's schedule II, in combo /apap form it's III.  i just got back from getting two teeth pulled, he gave me 20 5mg vics, with 2 refills, that's awesome.  I seriously don't need more then 15, but if he wants me to have the ability to get 60, god bless em.  people with bad back pain should get that much, people from the dentist should get a small amount of percs with no refill.  cheers.
Ok so i am still young but a year ago i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia yeah so I take lyrica everyday and sometimes perhaps once a month or every other month I have a flare up and the doctors tell me to take Tylenol or advil wtf. Since I am young I guess I am a drug addict. Basically elderly people get away with 5 to 6 freakin scripts of the proper pain killers and either give them away or sell them. I wish i could give my doctor fibromyalgia when i have a flair up!. Simply take all your muscles and twist them and set them on fire and this is what I feel at all times it's even worse when i have a flair up and when i have to lay on the couch in a ball crying my eyes out and my four year old says mommy don't cry i will rub your back it breaks my heart because I am a labeled as a freakin stereotype hey doc's wake the hell up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband just had a bone surgery and his surgeon prescribed Norco tab for him.  He took one tab and felt very bad.  He had the same experience in the past that Vicodin could not relieve his pain.  His surgeon would not change his pain killer.  I was wondering he might have CYP2D6 malfunctioning gene?  Do you have any idea?  Thanks!