Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Typical Antipsychotic Medication & Co Q10

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Did you know that several of the typical antipsychotic medications, including Thorazine and Navane, deplete Co Q10 in the body?  This is the same chemical that is depleted by statin drugs, and is sometimes recommended by physicians (mine did).  I have been taking a minimal dosage of Co Q10 for six weeks (it may take two to three months for the full efffect), and I have much more energy.  I may have needed Co Q10 for all of my 39 years of taking antipsychotic medication, and, unfortunately, I had to learn about this from the web.  No physician or psychiatrist has ever mentioned this effect.  A deficiency of Co Q10 has been implemented in muscle weakness, including of the heart.  Not to mention fatigue, and I have taken a low dosage of caffeine since 1982 to combat fatigue from Navane.  I noticed a surge of energy, too much energy, in the first two or three days of taking Co Q10.  But this abated, and now I just feel more healthy.  Thank you for this web site!  I have learned a great deal from all of you, and I want to pass along what I too have learned.