ULTRAM/ULTRACET/TRAMADOL: The Truth about this 'non narcotic' please
Hey Goldie, this new thread is for you!!!

There is a great deal of confusion with respect to this drug.

Why is it, that if this a non narcotic and non addicting med., i continue to read(or hear) about, horror story after horror story getting off of it???????

Seems many would say the withdrawal from tramadol is far worse than many opiates.

A wise friend of mine even mentioned a front page article in their local newspaper(recently), siting what a great "alternative" Ultam is, in that it is "non-addicting".

Any help would be appreciated.

percs
Gee whiz ... you are so funny (paranoia runs deep) I'm sending an email ... you are one educated lady. Kool ... synthetic narcotics. Wow .. What is methadone?
hi everyone I'm new here and don't really know what I'm doing.I have been reading everyones post for about a week and finally decided to ask for help only to post on a thread that said no more room for comment does that mean I won't ever get any feed back?Istarted taking vicodin 18mos ago after I lost my 25yrold son it numb me enough to get through the days I was taking 6to8 a day. Two weeks ago I decided I needed to stop and face the facts and get on with my life. I was shocked that I couldn't stop I was scared and felt very alone until a stumble across this forum and read everything I could to try and understand I have learned a lot from all of you and you gave me the streghth to tell my husband and daughter.We just have no clue so my husband is taking a week off work and he is taking somewhere where we can be alone and I'm goin to try cold turkey.I have weaned myself to 5 a day.and I've copied the Thomas receipe.please any advise is welcome.I am so ashamed I refused to understand my sons problem He died from vicodin OD I understand now  TO LATE.
I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for the loss of your son - I don't want to sound trite because this is such a traumatic time for you I know but wanted to offer my condolences, my heart truly goes out to you.

Also, I think it's wonderful that you're going to be quitting the pills - it will give your life back to you and I agree with Golden in that your son wants to see that.  Take care of yourself, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Dear Friend ... I am so sorry for your loss. I have a son still living at home. He is 24 and has an alcohol problem. I worry alot sometimes. I believe strongly that life continues after death. The spirit is eternal and can never die. People that have near death experiences do not want to return to this life. The hereafter is so glorious that if we had the chance, we wouldn't come back. Those that have passed are very close to us. I know your boy is so happy that you are starting to get better. One last thing. We will be united with our families in the next life. Families are forever .... all my best to you ... Goldie (email is ***@****)
thank you so much for answering. I have so many ??? I noticed when I dropped so fast I could only make the drop for 2 days then had to back to 6 to get calm.does this do any good at all? my husband says I am making myself sick and weak before the big week of CD which is may 10th. I keep thinking if I get down more it will be less painful am I fooling myself? I'm am so nervous.I'm also afraid I'm going to have to deal with grieving since I dealt with it so badly. I know I'll see my son again but I need him now I feel like I'm caught between the living and the dead. I want to be here for the rest of my kids and i"m raising his son now but I want to be with him too.thank you again for the kind words and beleive me when I say I wouldn't bring him back to this for nothing.He was so sad and tried so hard to kick this infact he went to rehab two weeks before and was doing great then he got a terrible tooth ache and the dentist couldn't see him for 9 days he caved got vikes took 36 pills and never woke up again. from what some have said here thats probably just did it going off then going back to what he used to take dailyplease advise I will listen.
There are a lot of things you're dealing with right now -- the passing of your son, having to deal with coming off of the pills.  For myself, just having this addiction to deal with is hard as hell, and I have two daughters (12 & 13) and can't imagine what it would be like to deal with the death of a child.  I know that your life CAN and WILL be productive again if you allow yourself to grieve and perhaps join a support group for those who have lost a child.  My parents have a good friend who lost their adult (21) child, and I have heard that they go to a support group and this is a TREMENDOUS help.  I just wish I could say something that would help you with this loss.

I will comment on the tapering.  I think you said you dropped your dosage quickly to 6 daily (?)  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't read how much you're taking daily.  If you want to taper, you can cut your dosage over a longer period of time, i.e. if you're taking 12 daily, you can cut it down by 1-2 pills weekly, or whatever works for you.  I know that what works for one may not necessarily work for another, but I found that switching over to a weaker opoid like codeine and tapering down from that almost completely elminated the withdrawals, except for a general malaise, feeling of tiredness.  

If you can talk openly with your doctor (or even see an addictionologist) about this, he may be able to give you a number of medicines (such as Clonodine, etc.) to help with the withdrawals.  I have also heard from many that cold turkey is the only thing that works for them, so this is something else to keep in mind.

Another thing, once you do come off of the pills, I would suggest posting here OFTEN and finding a support group such as NA (or some type of real life support system) to keep you off of the pills.  I was 4 months clean last summer only to relapse because I didn't seek out the support I needed (I didn't post here as I should to get the help and I also didn't have any friends, still don't, to confide in or a support group) to keep clean.  

You have so much on your plate, my thoughts are with you.  Know that this is NOT insurmountable, but I think finding a support group to help you deal with your son's death is just as important as finding a support group to help you with the addiction.  Please keep posting.
I've read some of your post sounds like your having a tough time too. I feel for you I wished there was something I could say to help but I am so green at this even though I went through it with my son so often like I said I just thought he should quit.I am a very strong willed person I couldn't understand why he just didn't stop. He said mom you don't understand you have never been addicted to anything. so true until now and he was in much deeper than I am. you would probably understand what he was going through more than I But everytime I try and stop now my heart goes out to all of you and him. about the support group. I have kind of a attitude about them some of it comes from, since this all came about I don't like to leave my home seems like I just stay here and wait for the next 2 pills. the other thing is what are we going to do sit around and cry on each others shoulders that our children are gone and we can't bare that we can never hold them again in this life time? I do so much of that now.I'm not trying to be hateful I don't know why I feel this way I just wished I had a chance to say I'm sorry. I may not understand everything you are going through but I do know how to pray. And I will for you thanks again
I tried to start a new thread, but was unable to, I guess the system was full-up.  I posted here because ths is about Ultram.  Whoever said it was a wolf in sheep's clothing is 100% correct.  I have been taking Ultram for several years, first for headaches, then because I liked the fact that it killed my hunger pains and I have been able to take off about 35 pounds.  That was great, but lately I have had two seizures.  Luckily, my husband has been home when I've had them and has gotten me to the hospital quickly.  After all the requisite tests, which all turned out okay, the only thing the doctors can think is causing this is the Ultram and I am to start tapering down slowly, which is fine with me.  I have taken up to 25-30 per day at times, and know I have a long way to go as I am tapering these down out of my system.  Until the seizures I had no problems with the Ultram, but I know I have to get off of them.  To be honest, I probably wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have the seizures, but I know that these are nothing to play around with.  I'm 41 years old and would like to be around long enough to see 42.  I know I'm going to run into some rough times as I do this, I hope it's okay for me to come back here when I feel like climbing the walls, you all sound like a really good group of understanding people.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this forum. I am on a very low dose of ultram (tramadol) but have lost motivation to keep cutting. This drug gets a hold on you. I am desperate to get off and my husband just got some vikes for a bad shoulder. I am thinking of trying to quit using the vikes for 5/7 days. Most people here have trouble with vicoden, so I am afraid. I just can't drag this out much longer. I am so lucky I found this place and learned what can happen! Alot of people get seizures from ultram. It's tough stuff ... keep posting and email me anytime. Where there is a will, there is a way. Never give up. The trick to ultram detox is go very slowly .... Good Luck, Goldie (***@****)
-My Advise

I have delt with with tramadol first-hand, and it's not easy getting off it. It may have been the hardest thing I have ever done mentally, but I want everyone to know that you can do it too. It may seem impossible at first, but what i recommend is that you get in touch with yourself spiritually, but not with the help of the drug. Go off and and find a very natural place that has flowing water e.g. a river, creek, or waterfall. Be sure to bring plenty of natural spring water. Find a place to sit and contemplate/meditate. Then think about what ultram is, an artificial pleasure. Now imagine your body is being flushed clean with the spring water as you drink it. Do this until you finish your water bottle. And when you get up, I can assure you that will feel better about yourself. Just remember that your strong and on the road to recovery.
I wish it were that easy.  I feel like the woman who thinks she will never get to 42.  I am 43 and I want to stick around until 84 if for nothing else, to raise my small children (8 year old, twin 3 year olds).  My husband is getting disgusted with me.  He says I am taking speed in order to keep working full time and take care of everything else.

He is right but it also makes me feel better about myself until I look in the mirror and say I hate myself.  How do you get self-esteem in order to feel good without ultram.  I told the doctor I am abusing the ultram (but not 30 a day) so he said try darvocet for my headaches.  It helps but it makes me tired and actually more incoherent than the ultram.  The ultram keeps me going without being 'out of it'.  I know I am addicted.  I am so sick of the trap I am in.  I am giving myself a date to try to quit cold turkey.  Sorry Goldie but the tapering isn't working for me.  I quit before I can do it again.  I just need the stamina to continue to do everything without the need for ultram.  My doctor gave me Zoloft.  I know, I know, I am lighting a fire here and am scared but I am hoping the Zoloft will ease the depression I will feel when I quit ultram.  Ok, now it's time to hear all your responses good and bad.
ldjohn
I'm so glad to see you. I want to apologize for jumping on you last time. I don't know what's the matter with me ... (overtired)
I think it's great that you are going to use zoloft. I am thinking of going for some help for mild depression. It's that tired thing ... don't feel bad, tapering isn't working for me either. I am stubborn and I won't go back up .... but I wish I knew what to do ... Goldie (***@****)
Dear James ... sounds like you have been through alot! I am really glad it is ultram (tramadol) that I have to deal with. Before my doc gave me ultram, I was on vicodin post surgery and the opiates helped with acute pain, but like yourself they cause depression and mood swings for me. I had obsessive thoughts and weird thoughts and basically IT SUCKED!! Ultram was great. I had no cravings and was cheerful and focused. I just didn't know it would be so hard to get off ultram. I am now at 2 1/2 pills a day, only one time(morning) and that is extemely low. I am going to focus on my excersize plan and a good nutritous diet with some amino acids and I will get the motivation to start cutting an 1/8 of a pill once a week. All I can say is .... stay at the dose you are on. Do NOT increase! Ultram has two antidepressants and is a synthetic opiate. Build up your life and confidence and stay away from opiates. They make you crazy .... if you find a reciepe for ultram detox or any information please email me... ***@**** thank you and good luck ... Goldie
My name is James and I am a 36-year-old addict.  This is my first post so I will have to start telling you a bit about my nightmare with pain meds leading to Ultram dependence.  I am sorry but I am unable to start a new question, so forgive me if you think this does not relate to this thread.  It is about Ultram though.  

I have been addicted to pain meds for roughly 3 years.  I started with codeine, such as Tylenol 3's.  This was a result of a c5/c6 cervical disc injury.  I really did not think that I had a problem at first; I took 2 at a time about 1 x a week to help with the pain.  Well, that is how it started; I eventually took them because of the overall euphoric feeling it gave me.  I had colon/rect. surgery not long after that, and was introduced to vicodin es.  That, coupled with the Internet and easy access to pain meds, was the proverbial death knell to my casual "innocent" drug use.  I was an addict on the codeine, so don't get me wrong, it
Thanks Goldie,  Thanks for your response, you are very helpful!Well, I am currently searching for the best taper schedule.  I will let you know when I find one.  Also, mine seems to be working, but I wake up in the morning feeling depressed.  That goes away when I get up and at it.  I think cutting the pills is an excellent idea.  I feel really stupid for not trying that.  Going down 1 whole pill on a taper really does not work for me.  Thanks again, and you take care, I will be praying for you.
I just got on here to do some research about Ultram. My fiance has been on it for years and is taking 6 pills eery 2.5 hours. He has had a few seizures including one last night. He is in denial over this drug and says it is non narcotic so it's ok. Years ago - when I didn't know him he was addicted to another narcotic pain reliever after some surgery. I don't know what do to. I am worried and so scared for him. if he does try to cut down he gets the withdrawl symptoms and that makes him take his usual dose again just beccuase he doesn't want to deal with it.
Myself and several of his friends want to help him but we don't know where to go or what to do first. He is in denial about this drug.

Loveland
Hey there... You posted on a old post from 2003.. If you don't mind go to the main page and post a new question about this... we would love to help but in this old post it will get lost.. many people do not have their settings where they can see old posts... only new ones made...
oh yeah...ULTRAM IS ADDICTING AND RELATED TO CODEINE...tell him I said so... he needs treatment or a addiction specialist ASAP
my foot doctor prescribed Ultram for the pain I was having in the arch and heal of my right foot.  On top of an anti-depressant.  He said, "Ultram is a non-narcotic," meanwhile I knew better and had a big smile on the inside.

The first prescription worked great for the pain and for everything else.  I got a refill, and dah.  Nothing like what was in the first bottle.  I'm thinking: this has to be the biggest case of a body adjusting to medicine I've ever seen.  I felt no relief from the pain, and none of the pleasant side-effects.  I more than doubled my dose, and achieved a seizure for my trouble.  Threw the rest away, back to seeing my neurologist.  
This is for whomever.  I am a 45 year old woman and I've been addicted to Tramedol for 8 years now.  I have been blessed to have found this website and thread.  I have been through, and am going through exactly the same thing you are.  I was up to 8 tabs a day, and slowly I've tapered off until 9 days ago I took my last 1/4 tab.  All the while I had to take No-Doze to counter the sleepiness the Tramedol gave me.  Yes, this is the most excrusiating and challenging thing I've ever gone through, with all of the classic detox symptoms (still currently experiencing).  

Depression is certainly a part of this withdrawal.  I am now taking Lamictal, which helps.  I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and perhaps I have these dreaded diseases as a result of taking Tramedol over the years.  As I've gotten off Tramedol, I've had constant pain in my back and neck--almost a burning sensation.

This type of addiction is isolating.  It is a lonely experience.  No one was there to share my "victory" or milestone when I took my last one.  Who can you complain to?  Life still goes on and we still have to put our masks on everyday and pretend we are alright.  Even our spouses and children can't understand and so mood swings put a strain on our families.  I am horrified at some of the screaming fits I've given to my children.  After my "fits" I go into my room and cry because it wasn't really me doing it.

One of the other horrible effects that I've experienced is that my brain isn't the same as before.  My abilities to organize, and remember things have sharply diminished.  Sometimes my kids ask me a question--simple things like state capitals--and I know I know the answer, but I can't seem to be able to retrieve it from my brain.  

I HATE IT.  I HATE IT, AND I HATE THE DOCTOR WHO PERSCRIBED IT TO ME!!!!!  LIES!  ALL LIES ABOUT HOW IT'S NOT ADDICTING!!

The only soothing thing is my faith in God, a 12-step recovery group, a loving doctor, and people like you who I can actually purge my feelings to.  Plus, no matter how it hurts, I've started walking on a treadmill, imagining that the blood flowing is flushing the poison from my body.  Lots of vitamins too.

Thank you one and all for your experiences, and your victories.  This will truly help in my quest for recovery.

Mrs. JLo
Hi, I'm new to this forum...I have chronic back/disc problems in my neck and lower back...I am scheduled to have surgery in the next month..Alittle background:  I am a recovering alchololic/7years sober, and I have been taking 800ml of Ibuprofen plus flexeril for a couple of years..Recently, the pain became unbearable, and I was prescribed hydrocodone in the ER..My physician continued to prescribe this for the last couple of weeks..I asked for something different today because I was so scared that I would get hooked...He prescribed Tramadol for me...Now, I am really scared after reading the comments in this forum.

Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about this med?  I have NOT started taking it yet..I just picked it up tonight...I am worried..Any feedback would be appreciated..
Unfortunately I do not have anything good to say about tramadol.  I was presribed it for back pain about 6 years ago.  I soon became addicted, and trying to come off of it was extremely difficult.  I had 2 seizures while I took it as well.  The withdrawal is the worst I have ever experienced from this medication.  I was very addicted to the point that I could not live without it.  I have ruined the past 4 years of my life due to this drug.  I am facing prescription fraud charges due to my addiction  as well.  Today I have 55 days clean from tramadol and feel like a new person.  I would never recommend tramadol to anyone.  Good luck to you, I hope my feedback helped
Okay, I've been taking hydro 10mg  1-2 tablets in the evening for facial pain due to nerve damage from cronic dental infections. I only take it in the evenings for help getting into a comfortable pain situation before trying to sleep. At least in my community pain meds are nearly impossible to get from a doctor. Don't ask why, they just don't like to give them to people unless they are in end stage cancer.
  In any case, I've used hydro from internet sources after the doc didn't want to have me use them on a daily basis. So, the feds have cracked down on this source as well.
  Now a doc has set me up to try Ultracet because it isn't a controlled substance. Now I have my first bottle 90 pills 37.5 mg. In order to know what I am taking, I have checked this med out on the net. That drew me to this site.
Here is what I have learned. Tramadol is a synthetic codine. It is most certainly an opiate and recent study shows that the ONLY active pain killing function is the bonding with opiate receptors. It was marketed as a non addictive, but has now been shown to be addictive in some people, just like any opiate.
I used it last night for the first time. 2 pills. The effect is just like codine on me. After taking hydro, the ultracet does not do much, just like codine is not very strong compared to hydro.
Why so much addiction to tramadol, is it the mild high?  I admit to liking the hydro effect I would get with over 10mg. Will tramadol also give a mild high once I get used to being off hydro?  
As near as I can tell, tramadol is a plain and simple opiate, just a synthetic form of codine. How did it ever escape being a controlled substance? Am I being foolish to use ultracet for pain relief? I survived using hydro with only minor withdrawls when going off of it.
IF you were to use it for a VERY short time, like hydrocodone, it really works for pain.  However, the "mild high" feels so good it sucks you in and within a very short period of time, you're hooked.  Everyone is different in going through withdrawals, but mine was hell.  My memory has really suffered.  I suffer from aphasia (inability to remember words or well-known facts).  I have to re-learn how to organize things.  Drugs affect the brain, period.  Please don't get hooked.
Thanks for your comments on ultracet. I feel more scared using this for pain relief than hydrocodone.
The reason I only took pain meds in the evenings is due to my fear of addiction. I though that since the pain always gets worse late in the day I'de limit any pain meds to ONLY that time when the pain is worst. This way I avoided any hardcore addiction to hydro. I will be extra careful now with this ultracet medication. Only when I absolutely need some pain relief will I use it. I'll post back in a month or so to let the board readers know my experience with this med. This site has been quite helpful in thinking about pain med use.
What is Lamictal?  Looking for something to help with tapering off quickly?
I have never taken a nonperscription drug in my life and did not even know I was experiencing withdrawal for the longest time.  Doctors had me on anxiety and antidepressents only making things worse.  Everytime I said they weren't working they said it would take five to six weeks.  After taking for five to six weeks they increased dosage even making things worse.  Then you have to taper off that medication and try another anti depressant or anxiety drug and go through the same process again.  I've lost the last two years of my life.  My doctor will not help me because he claims that Tramadol is nonnarcotic and nonaddictive and referred me to a psychiatrist for more help which told me the same thing and insists that I'm only getting a placeabo ..not sure how to spell this if I think they affect my mood etc. and only get verbal abuse when I refuse to take.  Within four to six hours of taking the Tramadol I feel it come on every day and the only thing that brings me out of it is another Tramadol!  I'm down to four a day from 8 but cannot seem to taper off any more without people knowing it and don't want to lose my job, family etc.  
Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.  I started on them originally for fibromyalgia and stress.  I don't take them for pain anymore but cannot get off because of the anxiety and depression.
I have a week and a half before starting another job, which is high profile and I need badly but fear being able to keep because of this.  I was very social before but fear having to be social now because of the withdrawal and can't taper off and be normal!
This thread was started quite awhile ago... it will probably get overlooked.. Go down to Back to Forum and click there then go to the main page and click Post a new question that way you can start your own post and it will get seen by current members here on the Addiction forum.
Thanks!   I'm new to this.
I am a slave to all things ultram. I tried posting a few days ago but nobody ever responded..except for Bad_Co. I think I'm far too gone. Severely addicted where I've tried 2 weeks and was still going through physical symptoms, let alone mental. I don't see a happy life without these pills..Its hopeless..I'm a slave. My appetite is insatiable. I'm about ready to call it quits with life and everything. Just can't do it anymore.
Go the bottom of this page..hit the "back to the forum" button. At the top of that page you will se a blue button that says "post a question"..hit that. Fill out the form and re-post what you wrote here. No one is answering because this is an old post from years ago and it gets buried.

Will see you out in the forum.......
I can relate to your post. I am a slave to hydros and can't remember being without them. I feel like I was born with a vial in my hand. I remember a few years ago when I was clean. I am a happy person and found joy in everything. I loved to wake up in the morning and just be excited for the day to come. Hydros came upon me like a thief in the night and stole my happiness.I have quit at the very least 8 times and failed. There is a spark in me that won't give up.  I am on day 10 and wonder if I will ever be happy again. I remember the happiness before the addiction and want that back so much. Hopeless is my middle name now and I have to pick myself up from the bootstraps and stop my daily pity party. It is so hard dear and I am taking it hour by hour. If I look to the future too much it will be failure for me.You might stumble and fall, but we will pick you up. You are not alone in this nightmare. I am a man and it is hard to cry, I tear up, but no crying. I was watching a show last night and it was the seperation of conjoined twins. The agony the parents were going through was just heartbreaking. I don't know how they made it through the 9 hr operation without losing it. It helped me to break away from my troubles for an hour. You can do it and it will be tough. We only get one chance in life and we make many mistakes. This does not make us bad people. You are worthy and deserve a wonderful life. I am sorry your post was missed and probably because it was in a long thread. I usually start a new post if I have any questions. It sounds like you are going through bad cravings like I am. I feel depressed, antsy, irritable and downright crappy. I posted an inspirational piece about a train. This really helped me this morning and boy was I down in the dumpsl We are here for you and I will answer any quesitons. If you feel more comfortable, you can send me a private message. I find that listening to music that reminds me of a time when I was not addicted. It also brings up great memories and time passed. You have to treat yourself like a puppy. When a puppy pees on the floor or tears up a shoe, you don't hit him. You realize he is just a pup and you cuddle him. Try to do that for you. You are doing something that will have a major impact on your life. Good times will return and happiness is just behind the door. You should google PAWS because it sounds like you are going through that. I and others are here for you. You will laugh again, life will get better each day. Put the past behind you and move forward. I know it hurts so bad. Two weeks is a major hurdle for anyone to go through. I congratulate you for that. I know right now without the pills life seems pointless and boring. Hang with us, vent with us and you will find it does get better. The appetite is good for now and you can deal with anay weight gain when things calm down. Please holler if you need me. I am praying for you Claudia. You are a special unique person and have so much to give.

God Bless,
Tim
I have  been taking Ultram for 8 years.  I have gone off it a few times because of stomach issues.
I have never had any kind of withdrawal. My pain became much harder to deal with though.
Maybe it's because I don't abuse the medication.
I was dx'd with fibromaylgia and sponilitis about 8 years ago. And then in 2002 I broke my back.
I was on a narcotic for 4 months while in the hospital and then at home.I was weened off the heavy stuff.It was beginning to make me vomit
and then went back on the ultram.
I wonder if some people are allergic to ultram?
I feel so badly for those that have had such terrible results after taking this drug.
peace
   kdkmalone
just joining
So I'm no naive, I know I'm a big boy and new about Methadone clinics, after 3+ years of being on 100 MGs Norco's, after 2 leg / knee surgery's, 3 Scopes.. ( Basal Tibia Fibula fracture with blown out cartilage and meniscus, my kindly orthopedic surgeon referred me to "pain Management" what a load that is, should be called pill dispensing. Before I knew it I was on 140 MGs of Methadone, and 80 MGs of Norco. Like I said, I allowed this to happen but after 6 years I had quite a tolerance, as well as could handle these and still "function".  well after Detox, and 30+ days of sobriety, I found that the closer I got to the real pain of the arthritic knee, and lack of cushion, a man of only 36 years, could not function, I looked and looked for a non narcotic alternative, and viola the introduced01 me to tramadol, 300MGs a day. not that I dug further, and am finding out more I'm pissed, the pain I made myself go through, now after being on it for a week and a half I feel screwed, what options do I have? Too young for a new knee, Aleve doesn't touch it, all I want is to function at 50%, my 9 year old daughter cant have two disabled parents.... Non narcotic, non opiate.. what a lie...
Ive been prescribed to these things for almost a year but I have very weird pain symptoms still doing testing for many of them.  It is a non narcotic but anyone that says there non addictive it depends.  If you took more than one to two every 6 hrs as needed, which many people do of course, will get hooked regardless of how bad you want to get off of them but dont do it all at once, you will regret it.  The chills, pain, in some people hallucinations, and risk for seizures.  
If you want off of them, which I have had no success with, do it slowly.  I hope this helps but Im still on them so dont feel bad....lol
EFFECTS CLASSIFICATION
Non-opiate Synthetic Analgesic

DESCRIPTION
Tramadol is a quasi-narcotic analgesic used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain. It is a synthetic analog of codeine, but has a low binding affinity to the mu-opioid receptors. It has been prescribed off-label for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy and restless leg syndrome.

My two cents:
Tramadol IS addicting. I am telling you from first hand experience. I'd prefer over codeine itself or hydrocodone. I am using Tramadol to wean myself off of oxycontin and heroin. It's working!

I think I started taking hydrocodone a few years ago just for recreation and the "high" or "euphoria" that came with it.  I remember I had such control and discipline about taking hydrocodone.  I wouldn't take it during the week and it didn't affect my work, but on Friday evening, I'd take 6 of the Vicodin HP's and get that very nice easygoing "high" and get so talkative that I'd call my friends and just talk non stop or send emails, etc.  It gave me energy and vibrancy.  But then I wouldn't take it until the next Friday.  Then I allowed myself to take on Wednesdays and Saturdays and 3 years later, I'd addicted and I don't get close to the "Euphoria" feeling that I did 3 years ago.  Now I can easily take 25 of these Hydrocodone HP's on weekends and on weeknights, take 15-20 and still be able to go to work the next day.  I was doing this everday.  Then I had occasional "nod offs" in the afternoon at work and I don't know if this is because Hydro made me not sleep well the night before or it it "kicked in" many hours later.  My head would fall and I'd catch myself and this would last about an hour and then I'd do something to wake myself up before the end of work.  Right now I am between refills on my Hydro and got a script for Tramadol to carry me over for the next few days until I get my Hydro again.  I used to be able to handle the days between refills and lately, I've been drinking on those days.  I haven't had a drink for 25 years until now.  I feel I need something to "buffer" the effects of not having the Hydro.  I don't know why I need the Hydro and I only got the Tramadol to carry me over to the next refill of Hydro and I hate drinking but it does give me a "buzz" and some "euphoria".  I must be a true addict who's able to work and I've got caught a few times nodding off but I made excuses and those were taken as truth.  I have my first bottle of Tramadol and this is my first day and I just took one pill and I'm wondering "what the heck am I doing?  I"m an intellingent guy, is my life so empty that I need a chemical boost?"  It's almost like I can't imagine living without the Hydro.
Just wanted to start a new thread . .  and after reading posts from 8 years ago, I can see that not much has changed for me. I am as confused as ever about ultram. I have had a heel spur and a shoulder problem, and had to use hydrocodone, but I feel so much better on ultram. The good news is that in 10 years of using it, I have never needed more than 4 pills a day. Right now I am on 3 a day. I know one thing, this medicine is metabolized on a completely individual basis. Each one of us will utilize it according to our own chemistry. I am not kidding. It will target the brain receptors "randomly" (where a real opiate targets all recetors, all the time) and has 2 mild antidepressants working as well. Too bad it is so hellish to get off ... I think I need some education from an addiction specialist . . .
Golden~  Happy to see you post!  Yes,an addiction specialist would be educational...

Off subject...Do you remember "dancinginthedark"?  Do you know what became of her?
I just loved that girl!!     It was back around '03. I know.  A gazillion years ago...   I've tried to find her but to no avail!!!

My best to you~
Vicki
If you've been taking tram for ten years, staying within the prescribed limits, and it works for you, that sounds sort of like a successful usage.  You don't see many of those on here, as this forum is about drug abuse.  I monitor the posts of tramadol, because I've been taking .25 mg/day for arthritis in my right thumb for about 11 months.  It helps, not spectacularly, but so far I've seen no reason to discontinue it, and reading the horror stories about it here and on Emily's journal have been very effective in warning me against increasing the dosage, for whatever reason.

It's astonishing how varied the responses are to this and many other substances.  It makes one think twice about proposals to ban anything, on the grounds that the hazards outweigh the legitimate use.    I could say more on this subject, but will save it for the social forum.
Gee  . . I wish I knew where to find her. hmmm ... let me think. It was a long time ago.
Thanks for remembering me. Also Prospero ... it's nice to have a place like this to come to. I think maybe I need to gain more understanding of my situation. It's kind of shocking to look around and realize that I am still seeking answers, but not finding them. It dosen't matter how much or how little we take, but how it affects us. I have alot to think about . .  
well in my short experience with tramadol, I was addicted to Lortab but then had the opportunity to get some tramadol. I had to take so much of it just for it to work. My doc had given me 200mg so I would take about6-7 at a time just to help with not wanting my Lortab...well i went back to lortab cause the tramadol didn't help much. I think that doctors are promoting it as an attertive to opiods, but they are wrong (like I said in my opion)
I have taken ultram before, I used to get the 200 er tabs. I mainly used it when I ran out of my DOCs to ease the WS's' in the beginning they did help but as my addiction and tolerance grew the tramadol stopped working.

I have a question for those of you that do take it; does it do anything for your pain? if you have little or no tolerance will it give you a buzz? I'm not looking to take or score any, just curious. I have always understood it to be similar to morphine but non narcotic. Are the wd's as bad as coming off opiates? I hope all the best for you folks coming off it
I'm a recovering addict and have been clean for 14 years, my drug of choice being opiates. Hydrocodone and Oxycodone were my favorite. I got addicted thanks to a very bad case of restless leg syndrome and every time I tried to detox, the rls became unbearable and I would give up. I took one 50mg tramadol about 4 years ago to see if it would help my rls but it did not, and I didnt dare take any more and risk my recovery. Catapress, a blood pressure medication, non-addictive, non-narcotic, which is used to treat opiate addiction does help my rls though. Tonight I came upon this thread because I have a bad cold and my throat is very sore and I have some tramadol here that I give my dog for pain, and I wanted to know if it was safe for recovering opiate addicts to take. I was hoping it was but after reading this thread, I'm staying the hell away from them so thank you everyone for posting.
Good call on that one.  They are highly addictive and brutal to come off of......

Congrats on 14 yrs clean!!!!!!!!                          sara
I've been weaning myself from the tramadol, and can't believe how much of a hold it has on me. Been on them for 4 years and have gotten down to 2 pills a day for the last week, but the withdrawals are still intense at 8 hours beyond my last dose. I'm on day 16 and thought I'd be done. Gotta hang in, though, almost there. Thanks to all who post--it has made all the difference.

TK
hey grappler i feel you i have two ruptured discs in my spine fractured my pars and have S1 siatica nerve damage...they been having my on so many different drugs i feel like a lab rat ultram or tramadol is one of them if its not a narcotic y the hell are they addictive and one of the side effects is hallucinations they crazy..anyway i found out about an alternative to back surgury from my primary i know someone who done it and so far its helped i dont know where you live but here in florida they have the biscup institute i know a couple others that are really good too..google it maybe they can help they other is in tampa i dont got the name on my now but one does that treatment to mostly proffessional athletes but he only accepts cash its like 30k for the procedure ..well hope that helps God bless....
Ultram or Tramadol is more dangerous than narcotics. One of the nice side effects is seziures and already having disc problems in my low back (L4-L5, L5-S1) they wanted to try me on a new "non-narcotic" painkiller. Well I took my pills like a good little boy and I fractured T6.T7,T8,T10,T11 & T12 which due to the incompetence of the intern at the emergency I went to, never treated them right, so of course, they never healed right. Daily pain. On top of that, I nearly bit my tounge in two, and this all happened in front of my then 4 year old son. Thank god I was on the phone and he doesn't remember much except all of the blood coming from my mouth. Ah, sweet memories for a child!
I am 25 years old and suffered a back injury 2 years ago. Now i have found out i have LDDD (lumbar degenerative disc disease), osteoporosis, and sciatica!! I am prescribed tramadol 50 mg, 1-2 tabs 4x daily and Hydrocodone 7.5/500, 1 tab, 4x daily.
I've been addicted to norcos for 2 years now taking 10 to 15 a day. I've tried 2 quit but can't find the willpower to do so. Can I use ultram to taper off of the norcos? Is it a good idea? Need help have no one to talk 2 .      Feeling alone
You CANNOT take both at the same time. You have to be off narcotics for at least 72 hrs before taking Ultram. SEVERE REACTIONS!
HEEEELP!!! I have severe back pain, no insurance, and can't afford to buy off the street anymore (well I can but it takes every extra cent after necessities), but I want to quit cuz I'm tired of being a slave to these drugs!