Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ultram Addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ultram Addiction

I have been taking Ultram for the past 6 months and am up to 6 pills a day (300 mg a day) I have been taking Ultram for a herniated disc,after 2 mthsI started experiencing small side effects, sweating, nausea, headaches and I thought I had the flu. But these symtoms (symptoms) continued, I discovered these were side effects of Ultram. As the next few months continued, symtoms (symptoms) got worse, hallucinations started and I ended up in the emergency room one day.  They diagnosed me with Ultram addiction- up until that point no one believed Ultram was addicting. I was given Librium to relieve the withdrawal from ULtram.  My doctor prescribed Vicodin and I am going through "living hell". Should I have quit the Ultram cold turkey and gone right to Vicodin or should I first have phased out slowly the Ultram before going to the Vicodin.My body is so confused.It is my 4th day with no sleep, terrible cramps, stabbing pains in my stomach, feeling like a cat is clawing me inside and my body is being ripped to pieces, joints all hurting like the flu and I am taking the librium and valium. I realize I can get addicted to the Vicodin, so I have been trying to not take the full dosage.
Ultram addiction is unfortunately quite common AND has been recognized for some time now.  You probably should have tapered the Ultram and begun the Vicodin at the same time.  Since you are at day 4 of no Ultram you might as well stay off it.  Your symptoms will gradually go away.  Beware of the Vicodin, it is at least as addictive as the Ultram.  Do not take it every day for more than a week or two or you will become dependent.  Try going without for at least a few days a week.  Also, do not take more than directed.  Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
John --- Beware!  I'm not even sure what Ultram is, but I do know about Vicodin.  The symptoms you described sounded exactly like what happened to my husband after being addicted to Vicodin when he withdrew from them.  He did it 1st of January.  First month was living ____.  Praying for you tonight.
I have a question.  Why does people get addicted to Vicadin?  Why not loracet or norco?  Why is it vicadins?  I thought they were all the same?  Am i incorrect.  I really hope someone can answer my question please
One of my patients awhile back suffered from chronic leg pain from an old injury. He came into treatment having been prescribed Xanax (for anxiety). For pain he had been prescribed Ultram and was taking these, but was also illegally obtaining ("Dr. Hopping") Darvocet and Vicodin and was taking large quantities of these also. He was quite addicted to these pain-killers and had a rough time during withdrawal. He also was diagnosed with Major Depression and had anxiety symptoms (had suffered from mood problems for years, even during periods of abstinence). Our program's Addiction Psychiatrist addressed the problem by first detoxing him off the Xanax, Ultram, Darvocets, and Vicodins. If I remember correctly, the detox protocol for the Benzo (the Xanax) involved a switch to Klonopin (longer half-life, better for withdrawal) with a week-long taper, and for Opiate withdrawal the patient was placed on Clonodine and tapered down as well. Since he was on an inpatient unit, many resources could be called upon and were utilized including: Physical Therapy and individual and group counseling. The patient's pharmacotherapy regimen soon consisted of: Zoloft (for depressive and anxious symptoms), combination Depakote & Voltaren (for chronic pain issues and mood stabilization), and Motrin (PRN) when he needed a little something extra for pain. After a couple weeks on this regimen, the patient stopped complaining and began to report effective pain-relief and that he was feeling good again. He had experienced a robust response. This is not the first time I have seen this Depakote or Neurontin + Voltaren combination work well for addicts with chronic pain issues. I suspect other combinations of anticonvulsant/mood stabilizers and NSAID class meds could be effective also for the addict patient suffering chronic pain.
RD Vicodin is the brand name of the most popular form of hydrocodone.  There are many different pills containing hydrocodone, Lorcet is simply 10mg vs. 5mg with Vicodin.  All drugs containing hydrocodone are very addicting.
John, BEWARE!  You obviously have an addictive personality.  I do, also and many others.  The Vicoden is much more addictive.  You actually get HIGH with Vicoden and with Ultram, you do not.   Vicoden has led me down a long and dark path, as it has for countless others.  Vicoden is just like heroin or cocaine.  You get high...then you become immune to it and you end up having to take more and more to get the high.  You feel bullet proof.   TRUST ME, STAY AWAY FROM VICODEN.  TRY SOMETHING ELSE.  DO NOT ENTER MY HELL. DO NOT. TELL YOUR DOCTOR NO!  Ask him to give you Vioxx, Relafen, Celebrex, do the exercises...whatever it takes.  IF YOU WERE ADDICTED TO ULTRAM...YOU WILL BECOME ADDICTED TO VICODEN, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.  Email me at ***@****
I was hooked on both xanax and ultram at the same time.When i finally realized I had a problem I talked to my doctor and he started to taper me off of them. It was not an easy road. I was on both of them for 3 years, for chronic headaches and anxiety attacks.Getting off the ultram made me feel like i had the flu, i had no energy and i was very CRANKY. The xanax was the real hard part i was up tp taking 4 (.5) milagrams a day when i started to taper off of those i started having more anxiety attacks, my train of thought was not there, I work with numbers everyday and I would see the numbers in reverse. i had very dry mouth and i would sweat a lot, i also had a lot of crying episodes. What i did was went to my local pharmacy and talked to my pharmacist, i ended up buying an herb called kava-kava that helped my symptoms a lot. I told myself after one bottle of that i would no longer need anything. With a lot of praying and a lot of support from my family i was free of addiction. I hope you can get the support you need.
I just read a study that came out of Norway that demonstrated that taking T.I.D. doses of Kava Kava was better than Benzodiazepine over something like a 6-month period for treatment of anxiety symptoms. Of course, this was just one study I have come across, but also seems to be a lot of anecdotal information out there about Kava Kava effectiveness in treatment of anxiety symptoms.
I too have notied that ultram can be very hard to refuse espiecially when you are trying to deal with alot of pain.Ihave alot of problems with my neck and back and when the doctors prescribe ultram I find myself feelling very uneasy about running out.
What you are experiencing is symptomatic of Ultram addiction.  Although Ultram is not a narcotic, it binds to the same receptors and actually has a more difficult withdrawal.  Beware.
are you a doc????? or do you just like to run your mouth like one;.;.just jokin, how the hell does anyone get ''addicted to ultram?? I took 8 of them a day for maby a week befor i made the doc give me a real med, they dont do anything to you so what is there to get addicted to? I can understand geting addicted to oxycodone , morphine, benzo's and meds like that because they are relaxing and get you high and all, but I  think all this ultram addiction **** is way over done,
Imus, are you an ass or just run your mouth like one? just kidding, ultram might not do anything for someone who does a bunch of drugs, it's all in the tolerance levels.
dont keep takeing the vicodin throw them away i have been on vicovinES for 3 years and i am very addicted to them i still take them and wonder where and when i can get some more i feel very depressed when im not on them and i cry alot i dont even know what to do myself i just know their very addicting and that when im not on them i really feel bad and i substitute it with whatever i can find get some help from your health dept for some counseling if you can good luck and may god bless you.
No I believe you, I have seen all the post on the net about ultram, I just couldent understand why.
You are quite right when you say that for someone used to strong opiates, Ultram feels like it has no effect (and certainly no high).  This does not make it non-addictive, and if you don't believe me, do a search on the internet and you will see postings from many people addicted to Ultram and having terrible withdrawal.
renee wrote;;
dont keep takeing the vicodin throw them away
i am very addicted to them i still take them
and wonder where and when i can get some more

well another hip-A-crit,
It is sad you have to make fun of an addict as down as Renee.  She is saying that she is so addicted to Vicodin she hasn't been able to stop, and is trying to convince John not to get to the same state she is in.  That's not hypocrital, it's warning him what lies ahead.  And, by the way, people here could use some SUPPORT, which is why they come here.  They aren't looking to be kicked while they are down.  I don't know if you mean your posts to come across that way, but they do.
Hey Imus.... I bet you don't realize you're being insensitive when you resort to name calling. Alot of people here are suffering with drug dependence or struggling with family members who are messed up.  Renee is  not being a hypocrite, she's describing ADDICTION. Her statement was right in line with how an addcit thinks. She knows intellectually what to do, but physically and emotionally she hasn't found the strengh to do it YET. She is in a position to tell John what to do because she speaks from EXPERIENCE. Some people here need information and some supply it... but everyone needs SUPPORT. You, me, everyone !! Please.
I am a 25-year prescription narcotic junkie, and my experience with Ultram is that it felt exactly like a strong opiate the first few times I used it. After that, the effect faded and I (naturally) increased the dosage. This I strongly discourage. The effects of even a mild Ultram overdose are pretty bad, even a bit scary. I literally went out on my feet while walking across my patio, waking up flat on my back a few minutes later. I have no memory of falling or laying down, and that scared the **** out of me. Leave the stuff alone, fellow junkies.
There are some good points to be made with the use or misuse of persribed drugs,
I took myself off Zoloft by ignoring them last July
I was on them 5 yrs. sometimes up to 150 mg., but usually 50-75 mg. I began using them because I had a tremendous amount of anger which stemmed from letting someone at home in the home, walk all over me, and I felt that I could'nt confront the situation alone
After about 3 years I found myself right smack dab in the middle of a physical disaster, a drug addiction and a divorce from a 20+ yr marriage. Slowly and with LOTS of SUPPORT and thousands of dollars pissed away on everything...FOR WHAT?
I got thru all of it, and now as I look back to what I might have done differently It would be to stay on the doctors' orders, not do anything but what the dr orders.
I have chronic pain now to deal with and reading thru the notes that are listed here remind me though I have this problem it is miniscule to what it might easily become if I don't watch out. Addictions of all types are so difficult, and support has to be a priority for someone who is alone in their problems,( and most of us are alone, right? ) Like the 12 steps say  DEAL WITH THE PAIN
Admit the problem to another and you need someone bigger than you are to overcome, and stand alone without it UNLESS YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT

Great site, thanks for being here!
As Warner Wolf says on the Imus in the morning show... If you took ultram, and thought it would give you a buzz.....YOU LOST!
I am very addictied to Ultram. The doctors even offer me Vicodon and I refuse and lie to them saying no I'd rather have something that doesn't get me so loaded. I love the feeling I get from them. I kind of have a sence of well being and a whole lot of energy, but if I stop and lie down I go into a euorphoric sleep which I wake from every half hour or so. When I run out,  I go through terrible withdrawls. Flu like. Very aggitated and depressed. I tell myself I will never take them again but think after a month that I must be okay and go get more. Been doing this for a year now. I'm pretty scared about the whole thing. I really want to be drug free. Oh, I take them for cronic (chronic) back pain.
Ultram is definately addictive, After taking
Vicodin Es for 6 months my doctor finaly cut me
off, I was given a script for Ultram, Of course
I didnt fill it right away I did not know
nothing about it and when I looked on the RX
list it was a non controlled substance, so I
Asumed it was not going to help my cravings for
the Vicodin, A week later after terrible
withdrawls for many days I decided to fill it
to help the body aches , The dosage was 1
tablet every 8 hours as needed for pain, so I
doubled it (100mg) in about and hour I felt
like  was in heaven,  thoughtit was better than
Vicodin, So of course I got on the web and
looked into the info on Ultram and found that
it peaks in 1 to 2 hours after oral ingestion,
so It takes a while but the high comes, and
lasts about 6 hours, the half life is 6 to 8
hours, I also discovered that therapeutic doses
could range from 50mg to 200mg in a single dose
but no more than 400mg a day!This is a man
copied Codeine! its says so in the pharmacology
section of the package insert(in so many words)
the chemists studied the phamacology and
structure of codeine and copied it, And called
it tramadol(ultram) very sneaky, but they did
not market it as a ontrolled subtance even
though in their clinical studies, Man
identified ultram as a narcotic,Ask the
pharmacist for the package insert on
ultram(legally if you are prescribed the drug,
they must make it avalable to you) and
read,read,read. Needless to say I went through
awful withdrawl (withdrawal), the only good think about
ultram is that it doest cantain nythg else lk
acetametaphen, which can cause liver damage if
abused. Another big secret within the pharmaist
and manufacturers community, is Immodium Ad
(loperamide) this is sold over the counter and
contains nothing more thana Man made Opiod
(narcotic type affects) Well Vicodin and al
those pain killers cause constipation, so they
made one to use as an antidiarreal, pretty
smart, I also got the package insert to this
from a pharmacist and believe me It tells you
alot more than it does on the package you buy.
It speciffically says" this should not be used
for longer than 2 days because it can cause
physical and psycolohgical dependence, under
pharmacology it says this is a synthetic opiod
with narcotic type side effects. This was a
drug I used to help with the Ultram withdrawl (withdrawal),
it helped alot, just take a stool softener a
day to keep from becoming constipated, It made
coming off Ultram a breeze this time. I am sure
it will help with any opiod withrawl and you
can run to wal-mart and buy it 18 2mg tablets
$3... Dont use more han two at a time or exceed
6-8 in a 24hr period, But it does help, he its
an Opiod
Ultram is definately addictive, After taking Vicodin Es for 6 months my doctor finaly cut me off, I was given a script for Ultram, Of course I didnt fill it right away I did not know nothing about it and when I looked on the RX list it was a non controlled substance, so I Asumed it was not going to help my cravings for the Vicodin, A week later after terrible withdrawls for many days I decided to fill it to help the body aches , The dosage was 1 tablet every 8 hours as needed for pain, so I doubled it (100mg) in about and hour I felt like  was in heaven,  thoughtit was better than Vicodin, So of course I got on the web and looked into the info on Ultram and found that it peaks in 1 to 2 hours after oral ingestion, so It takes a while but the high comes, and lasts about 6 hours, the half life is 6 to 8 hours, I also discovered that therapeutic doses could range from 50mg to 200mg in a single dose but no more than 400mg a day!This is a man copied Codeine! its says so in the pharmacology section of the package insert(in so many words) the chemists studied the phamacology and structure of codeine and copied it, And called it tramadol(ultram) very sneaky, but they did not market it as a ontrolled subtance even though in their clinical studies, Man identified ultram as a narcotic,Ask the pharmacist for the package insert on ultram(legally if you are prescribed the drug, they must make it avalable to you) and read,read,read. Needless to say I went through awful withdrawl (withdrawal), the only good think about ultram is that it doest cantain nythg else lk acetametaphen, which can cause liver damage if abused. Another big secret within the pharmaist and manufacturers community, is Immodium Ad (loperamide) this is sold over the counter and contains nothing more thana Man made Opiod (narcotic type affects) Well Vicodin and al those pain killers cause constipation, so they made one to use as an antidiarreal, pretty smart, I also got the package insert to this from a pharmacist and believe me It tells you alot more than it does on the package you buy. It speciffically says" this should not be used for longer than 2 days because it can cause physical and psycolohgical dependence, under pharmacology it says this is a synthetic opiod with narcotic type side effects. This was a drug I used to help with the Ultram withdrawl (withdrawal), it helped alot, just take a stool softener a day to keep from becoming constipated, It made coming off Ultram a breeze this time. I am sure it will help with any opiod withrawl and you can run to wal-mart and buy it 18 2mg tablets $3... Dont use more han two at a time or exceed 6-8 in a 24hr period, But it does help, he its an Opiod
AngeF, glad you enjoy the Ultram. I had the same euphoric experience but it faded out over a period of about a month's steady usage. I've tried it a few more times and can't get that initial high from it anymore. It is still a good pain killer, though. Don't count on the Ultram high too much, because I've heard a lot of other people talk about how the Ultram high disappeared the way it does in the Cocaine experience. You can also get some terrible headaches from chronic Ultram usage -- emphasis on TERRIBLE.
I'm surprised you can play with Imodium (immodium) and not get hopelessly constipated. I'd need a truck load of stool softeners to counteract that stuff. But it's opioid properties do make it good for Vic withdrawal and, I'm sure, Ultram withdrawal. Enjoy while you can, because I get the feeling Ultram will be thrown into Schedule III, at least Schedule IV (with Darvon), very soon.
I did enjoy the Ultram High until I got addicted and you are right about those terrible Headaches they rank right up there with a MIGraine!!!! and last forever! Oh I have to use a stool softener too when I used the Immodium to help with the Withdrawl (withdrawal), I dont take anything anymore and I feel great.  I believe you are right about Ultram, Im sure they will Control that drug soon most likely a Schedule lV. Because it is completely synthetic.
I took Ultram for 2 years and had bad withdrawals.I was taking the maximum dose of 400mg.per day.The Ultram withdrawals are similar to other opiate withdrawals (nausea,flu-like symptoms,etc).What DOCS don't tell you is that Ultram is also a ssri type drug that works chemically with the serotonin levels in your brain.The more common of these drugs on the market include the likes of Prozac,Wellbuttrin,Paxil etc.,etc.I'm no Doc but my views are such that the increased serotonin levels in the brain caused by the use of Ultram provide a sense of well being and upon cessation the brain returns to its' previous levels resulting in increased depression compounded with the mild withdrawal symptoms associated with the drug binding to your opiod receptors.So I guess what I'm saying is that you're not going through a heavy duty opiod withdrawal but rather suffering more from the decreased levels of serotonin that causes depression when the drug is stopped.There are many web sites that can provide a more elaborate breakdown as far as Ultram use and Its' effects on serotonin levels in the brain.Hope this helps someone out there,sincerely,Dane
I have a question and hope someone can answer it really soon!
I have been taking Ultram for almost 8 months now for a herniated disk.  When cutting back on the Ultram I noticed withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  There are a few times during the months that I was taking ultram, that I feared I took and overdosed (sweated, getting really dizzy, unable to sit still, aggitated).  Well, last week I stopped Ultram and turned to vicodin.  I went through serious withdrawls from the ultram and even took up to 10 vicodin a day (I did this for about 3-4 days)to make the withdrawls go away.  Well I have started to cut down on everything, in a slow manner.  Yesterday i took 2 ultram in the morning 1 1/2 vicodin 6 hours later and then 2 ultram about 5 hours after that (the pain of the disk is still present).  Well about 4 hours after taking the last 2 ultram (around 10 pm) I started getting a really flush feeling and extremly lightheaded.  I got really scared, thinking I have damaged my liver or something.  This morning I took 2 vicodin (about 14 hours after my last dose of ultram the night before) and within 15 minutes I was getting extremly dizzy and flushed feelings again.  I am terrified that something is seriously wrong.  But then again it can be nothing and I am over reacting.  It is just that my chest goes cold, my fingers and feet tingle and I get really dizzy.  I also feel pain in my kidney area (more of a discomfort)  I am also constipated which I understand is a side effect of the meds.  Has anyone else experianced this?  Is the cold, dizzy, flush feeling due to constipation, my slowly stopping the meds or something serious like organ damage?
I am just really scared, but also know that I can be paranoid too.  I have a wonderful husband and 3 great daughters.  I can't talk to my husband about this, I am afraid that he will not understand and look down on me as a failure.  For being a cute suburban family, I sure am holding a lot of secrets.  About 3 years back I almost died due to surgery complications.  During my months of recovery I became addicted to vicodin and percocet.
I then turned to alchohol after the pills were gone and at that point everything went downhill.  I neglected my resposibilities as a wife and mom.  My marriage almost failed (any other man would have took the kids and left).  I can not tell my husband about this current situation.  Mostly for the shame and his emotions that what happened in the past would come back.  which I know that it won't but I can not blame him for worrying.  I am just scared about the wierd feelings that I am having.
The symptoms you are describing are likely simply the interaction of the Ultram and Vicodin, not life threatening, just uncomfortable.  It sounds like you shouldn't be combining the two.
Does anyone know why Ultram's giving me stomach pain (burning pain), and if there's anything you can do to ease the stomach discomfort while taking this drug?  I try taking it with milk to coat my stomach, but that doesn't seem to do a whole lot.

As a side note, I was taking 10 Vicodin ES a day for three years, and recently switched to Ultram on my own suggestion. Ultram is a much better alternative in my opinion, even though Ultram is basically a narcotic masquerading as a non-controlled substance.
Vicodin addiction and abuse is a long, dark road that takes a toll on your body, your friends, your significant other, your job, and your quality of life.  The fact that the medical community so freely administers this drug irrespective of the horrible potential for addiction concerns me.  I understand that the risk of addiction and abuse is sometimes prefferable to a life of mind-numbing pain, but clearly the medical community needs to push for a safer alternative from the pharmaceutical companies (reading these posts only reinforces my belief in this)
Take Care-
You think you have it bad now!  I have been addicted to vicodin for ten years.  I also had a cocaine habit.  I would go thru the nightmare of cocain over and over had I neve touched a vicodin.  Imagine all the sweating and sickness you are feeling now.  Magnifiy it by 10(at least) and you get vicodin withdrawal.

And don't kid yourself that you can control your dosage.  The more you take, the more you need, once you have reached a certain level, your body will phsyically crave it.  You will find yourself running out of your prescription within 10 days, instead of 15 at first.  Then you will start counting your pills, and dividing days into pills.  Saying things like... If I take three a day, these can last 4 more days!  
Your on your way to hell.
I am, as of noon this day, 24 hours since my last slug of Vicodin.  I have recently had knee surgery, then complications arising from surgery and was diagnosed with Arthritic Sepsis.  I am an addict in every way, shape and form.  This sneaky disease has made my recovery from these surgeries in the past few months difficult to manage. I have been through Treatment before for Alcohol, only to relapse with another drug of choice. I alos suffer from debilitating migraine headaches in which my neurologist gives me Stadol NS, 3 vials per month.  Well, this morning, I went to pick up my Stadol and the Pharmacist had talked to the "other Pharmacist" where I had also been getting 40 Vicodin a week from my Ortho-Surgeon.  Needless to say, I was blown out of the water.  So, here I am, going through the beginning stages of RX Narcotic withdrawal..yippie!!  I know what I need to do, being active in AA and NA for 10 years off and on.  I am in a predicament because I truly am in pain from my knee surgeries and I DO get migraines.  My migraines, I am thinking, are more "rebound headaches" than anything, WHICH, can seem like true migraines and actually can be worse.  I am 38, married happily, mom of three beautiful children...but something is missing - has been for most of my life.  I am tired of chasing that elusive "high" from RX Narcotics and extremely weary of being afraid of this doc finding out about that doc. My husband is in this with me as we share medications.  He was also "found out" yesterday.  I know, in the end, when all the withdrawal is done and when I finally can feel alive minus some mood altering chemical, I will be a better person.  Until then, I am here, praying and hoping, talking and sharing, anxious as everything to just simply - feel! If anyone want's to share stories and give advice or visa versa..***@****  I'll write back :o)
Ultram is considered less addicting then hydrocodone.{see PDR}
Vicodin is a far more tolerable drug then Ultram as it is semi-
synthetic, where as Ultram is a pure synthetic.  If you are going to use potent painkillers, the more natural the better.
I find it unusual that Vicodin is not helping you.  Could there be something more going on?
i love vicodin...an i don't wanna stop.  I know it is bad and i don't think that i am too addicted because it is hard for me to get my hands on it.  But i am a little worried cause i never take it for pain.  I just take it to feel nice and relaxed.  It makes everything so fun.
My boyfriend is now addicted to Vicodin.  He withdraws almost every three weeks.  A buddy of his gets it for him.  He feels it is the only thing that can "ease the pain" or "help him concentrate".  I'm afraid for him and what his life will be like without them.  When he is withdrawing, he becomes extremely rash and sweats with unbelievable headaches.  Ultram is no better.  He needs counseling in order to get off Vicodin for GOOD!
I have a herniated disk along with numerous other cervical problems. I am currently taking Loracet 10/650 3-4 times a day. Also I am taking trazadone to help sleep. I have been taking narcotic pain medicine for 6 months straight. The doctor says I need to only take them at night. Hold on!!!I do not take the pills because I like them. I do not like being sick most of the time from stomach irritation. Or even having the poops half the morning. If I take them I can at least be somewhat active. If I run out on a weekend I am laid up on the couch. With all due respect to doctors I realize they don't want me to get addicted. But without the medication I am pretty much totally disabled. It really pisses me off.
Does continued use of Vicotin and various pain killers change how you think and behave? How long does it take to get off the drugs?  What are some methods?

In dire need of answers.
Hi Everyone:

Well, I don't know quite what to think.  I have suffered from chronic pancreatitis since childhood.  I have been through Vicodin withdrawl (withdrawal) twice, and would honestly rather face death than the hell of that again.

My gastroenterologist sent me to a pain mngmnt. clinic today and the doctor gave me a handful of samples of Ultram.  This was AFTER I told him of my addiction to Vicodin and Lortabs.  He told me that Ultram was absolutely NOT addicting and that I should take two every 6 hrs. as needed.

Am I on my way down another road of hell?

Thanks for any advice.

I just recieved a stint operation on my kidney. after the surgery i was prescribed with tylox, lortabs 7.5, and loracets 10.  after acouple of weeks of healing from my surgery I taken off of nacotic painkillers and told to try the ultram. because i had started back to work and wasnt able to take any narcotics while working. but i had always heard from all of the other pill fiends including myself, that the ultram didnt have a buzz or just werent any good. but after I ranout of the loracets I stated having the dt's everyone else has spoken of the sweats and shortnessof breath, so i initially tried taking the ultram to relieve the wanting or need for the narcotic pain relievers.and to my satisfaction which surprised me it actually works to stop the cravings. also I had taken them at work for energy and drive and now when I dont have any before work I dont perform well aand sometimes call in sick. and I have never been through addiction before , I never thought that it could be sso strong.
Please do not use Ultram as an Euphorigen as it acts on other systems other than the MU opioid receptor,it is not SAFE and withdrawals could/and have been descibed to be as bad as smoking CRACK,if anybody wants to establish a class action law suit you have ample evidence,the trials conducted by the manufacturing company are obviously deficient and documented evidence,obtained by the freedom of imformation act WILL DEFINATELY PROVE this.
Band together,see an attorney,get a class action and sue for loss of quality of LIFE,drug dependance ,pain,depression,etc,etc,make some well deserved dollars out of the BASTART ARROGANT MONEY HUNGRY company that invented this insidious Drug.
......WHERE DID THIS THREAD COME FROM???  I'm sure Joe has been there and back again since he posted on this forum.  
Well I didn't notice the date.....so just blow that one off ^^^!
annie
I CAN RELATE.......DOCTORS DON'T WANT TO CONTINUE PRESCRIBING FOR FEAR OF SANCTIONS BY DRUG ENFORCEMENT.  YES, THAT'S RIGHT.  THE GOV'T TELLS THE DOCTORS WHAT/ HOW MANY THEY CAN PRESCRIBE.  READ SOME OF MY POSTS'....I'VE BEEN FIGHTING THIS BATTLE FOR YRS.  IF YOU ARE LUCKY, YOU WILL FIND A COMPASSIONATE PAIN DOCTOR...I'VE HAD NO SUCH LUCK...THEY ARE ALL PULLING OUT OF THE "PAIN FIELD' WHERE I LIVE.

SPOOK.....INVENTING ULTRAM WAS JUST A WAY FOR DOC'S TO TRY AND SATISFY THE PATIENT AND THEIR CONSCIOUS W/O GETTING IN TROUBLE W/ AGENTS.
ANNIE

I started taken ULTRAM 1 year ago , the side affect i was having were stomack cramps, sleepiness,light headness, nauseious,
Due to me already having  a drug addition and been  recovered for 7 years i stop but still have a bottle full.i will onlt take them as needed for pain,due to a back injury.
"Oh no!" Not this again????
I've been on tramadol for 10 years at the maximum dose of 400 mg per day. I have to say I love tramadol. I love the feeling of strength and the terrific mental boost. I take 4 in the morning for the high and to get through the work day and then a couple in the late afternoon, and a couple at bedtime to go to sleep. I used to be able to get a lot of it at one time from the original doctor who prescribed it to me - 180 a month! Just recently though I can't get it anywhere! This last week I had to go 84 hours without any and had terrible withdrawal. No doctors are willing to prescribe it - even though I told them I'm willing to taper down slowly to get off. I had no idea (neither did my initial prescribing doctor) that tramadol was addictive. IT IS ADDICTIVE on so many levels. I don't know how it rates against Vicodin, etc., but the withdrawal is traumatic. At 80+ hours I was still having all of the usual symptoms. I know it's not a good idea, but I want to keep taking it. I've been on it so long that to not have that "high" just wouldn't feel right. Even after all this time, my blood work comes back great, so I don't think it's really hurting me in any way other than when I try to stop. If anyone tells you tramadol is not addictive, they're wrong.  
I hope you and he can get the help he needs and that he succeeds in getting off drugs.  However, a life with a drug addict is nothing but heartbreak.  Consider that he is your boyfriend and not your husband.  You are not committed to stay if he does not succeed.  I recently had to make this hard decision about a wonderful man that I dated and loved for two years.  He is an alcoholic and was unable to quit.  I stuck with him as he attended AA meetings (primarily to please me), but he was unable to admit that he had a serious problem and therefore didn't stop.  My heart still aches when I think of my decision to leave him, but not as much as the pain I see others go through with addicted spouses.