Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ultram Withdrawl(withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ultram Withdrawl(withdrawal)

I have been abusing Ultram for the past 5 years, and am up to maybe 10 pills a day. I have tried to stop b4 but have such terrible withdrawl (withdrawal) sx. that I don't want to go through that again, so are there any suggestions as to how i can avoid the w/d sx. Can I taper, add any natural supplements to my taper, etc. Please help.
I was reading all the posts and thought of something.
1: Everyone would love to stop taking drugs and be pain and WD free.
2: If that was the case why bother to stop, you could just use when you wanted and then stop, no big deal.
3: I feel your pain (really), I went through tottal WD from IV morphine CT after a long peroid of use.
4: It sucked more than a hot poker up the rear, but thats not a bad thing really becuase although I never thought I abused my meds I did become addicted.
5: Its been a few weeks the first week was pretty tough but I lived.
6: And this is my most important point, I will never take this **** again. Pain free would be great but it aint gonna happen without a price to pay, to damn high a price.
So some here say taper and some say cold turkey, I tried to taper and doc said I just prolonged my suffering and I agree so I just said **** it and stopped.
7: I can not address the craving part thank God I have none.
But there is a wealth of knowledge here and some can help with that.
As bad a you feel going through WD I have to ask how bad will you feel if you keep taking the pills?
Good luck.
We all look for the least painful approach and the only one that exist if you've got the money is ultra rapid detox. But you waisting your 5-7 grand if you don't have the naltrexone implant done every 2 months for at minimum of a year and for those of you who go through detox the old fashion way the implant will increase your chances of staying clean and aid in the speed of physical recovery. have it done as soon as you sstart to get the slightest bit better which means your system is clean and starting to produce neurotransmiters again. The natrexone pellet implant cost but is worth it in the amount it cuts cravings if you can't aford the implant ask about taking it orally but you've got to take it. Recovery is up to you and no one will ever quit if they don't truly want it in heart body mind and soul.
I think i can offer you some advice on tapering. I have been addicted to painkillers off and on, but pretty much on, for about 5 years. it started when i was sixteen, and i was depressed at boarding school, and when i came home it escalated from there. let me start by saying that this is ONLY MY OPINION, and there are many options for withdrawing. i tried to taper about a year ago, and it was horrible. first of all, you HAVE to be very disciplined, and it is hard when you have that bottle of pills sitting there waiting to be swallowed. When a bad day arises, it is VERY EASY to think "i'll just take one extra, and then go back to tapering". Second of all, it prolongs the withdrawals. if you taper over, say, a month, then you will have some sort of withdrawals for that whole month. granted, they wont be as strong as cold turkey, but they will last for as long as you are tapering. If you go cold turkey, the worst should be over in three to four days, and the rest will be the mental addiction. When i went cold turkey, i took my last pill on a thursday morning (so the worst part of withdrawals would be over the weekend when i didnt have school or work). Thursday was kind of rough, and thursday night the restless leg syndrome kicked in. that is when you feel like you are so anxious and you have to keep stretching. could not sleep that night. friday i was very anxious, diarrhea, just felt like ****, but i got through work knowing i had the whole weekend to try and recover. friday night was horrible. couldnt sleep. anyway, by monday the worst of the withdrawal was gone. still a little anxious, but slept about four hours. hot baths REALLY DO Work with the restless leg thing. live in the bath for the weekend if you have to. rent lots of movies to take your mind off it. nyquil helps you sleep, and immodium works wonders for diarrhea. But definetely try to quit on a thursday, so you have the weekend, or if you have vaca time, take it. if you have any questions then write back...be happy to share with you. I just want to emphasize that im not a doctor, and im not an expert, just writing what worked for me for a 5-6 a day codeine and hydro habit. take care and good luck...ill pray for you. god does not let anything happen in our lives that we cannot handle. you can do this.
I wish people would realize that ultram is NOT a regular opiate and has a much longer withdrawal period. There is no way that you are going to take a "weekend" and get clean. Ultram is different than any other drug including methadone. It is an antidepresant and it mimicks an opiate by affecting the same receptors in the brain. Two drugs for the price of one. Double trouble ...
Tapering from vicodin or morphine will actually prolong the withdrawal. It is wise to do a quick taper from the opiates(5 days of down dosing) and then stop the opiate. Use the Thomas receipe. For Ultram (tramadol) I recommend cutting the dose a 1/4 of a tab every 2 weeks. You will need to use tramadol and a pill cutter. Withdrawal will be almost nothing ... vague and fleeting. As you get closer to being drug free, you may need to stretch it out for 3 weeks. You have to take care of yourselves. Good nurishing food, filtered water and a low dose vitamin B. Build up your health. Stop for a minute and just taste one of the pills you are swallowing. That's what poison tastes like.
I am tapering again tommorrow, and if I keep going, I will be free in about 2 1/2 months .... now that turns me on! I am very determined and with God's help I will make it. I don't want to go on a different drug. When this is over, they can take their drugs and shove em ... some nerve the drug companies have! Lying about their products and creating dependency in unsuspecting people. They told me this medication was NOT addictive and a little stronger than an aspirin. I want my soul back ...and I will be victorious ... power to the people! ***@****
Ultram is just a *****, anyway you lok at it.  When I have been out of oxy's in the past, Ultram would keep the WD's to a minimal.  I've heard that if you take too many Ultram at one time, you can have seizures.  Be careful and try to wean yourself slowly.  Good Luck!
SABIAN
I was given 40 or 80 ultram a week along with percocets for about 4 months for after care for pancreatitus (pancreatitis). I had no pain but loved the drugs. Have all my life. I finaly got sick of how easy it was to just pick up the phone and go get my drugs..Anyhow
I got off the stuff by calling my docter I layed it all out , how I abused the stuf and that I was a wreck. They asked how much a day I was taking. I told them 10 ultram a day and so they called me in 10 ultrams. the next day I called back and they gave me 9 and so on till I picked up one and I was done no sweat.
you do feel like a fool tho, everyday going to the pharmacy for your fix but they were cool and knew I was tryin to get off. That was wonderful to be free. Not for long tho since then I have quit vicodin twice the hard way. I am trying right now as we speak.
My bro inlaw is outa town and has a bunch of 10 mil vicos. He will be back tommoroe and  know I am going to go see him. So all this pain last night and today is going to be wasted. I think I will give a bunch to my wife and have her help me taper off. Why cant a person just be happy without this ****?
                       maury
I agree with Goldie as far as the anti-depressant and it is different from the opiates like vicodin.  I can actually function pretty well taking 10-20 ultram a day.  It is amazing how much I can do. My husband calls them speed pills.  I wonder if that is true.  I never had as much energy with other painkillers like Ultram.

I have alot of hope to quit this drug but get disgusted because I had a good reason to take them in the beginning. I want to do it like the guy who went to the pharmacy every day but if I told my doctor I was taking up to 30 pills a day, I think he would be mad to say the least.

I did go through withdrawal over a 5 day period but I prepared myself for the worst and used Xanax (jumping from frying pan into the fire, but Xanax is not my drug of choice so I know when I wean off, it won't be too bad).  Anyway, ultram has this hold over me and I hear it in these many postings.

I want to keep using it but under control and in moderation.  Is that possible?  Anyone try Acupuncture or the suboxone way?  

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Goldie.
ldjohn
Geesh ... I just read my post from last night. Sorry to get so
dramatic, but it irks me when I realize how many people are getting "taken" by the drug companies.

Maury ... You have a great idea for getting on top of the monster. (vicodin) If your wife is supportive, you can scale down to a small dose and quit in due time. Read all you can here and NEVER give up on yourself. Let me tell you .... if I was on vikes, I'd be free by now. That drug is alot more "mental" and causes cravings, etc. but ... the kick is 5 days. You will feel "down" for a month after ... but when you start feeling like your old self again you'll be a happy man (smile) I had to take vicodin for surgery about 3 years ago and it was tough realizing it was time to call it a day. I was able to cut down and finally quit. As soon as I got over it, I needed more surgery. That time I took the vicodin for 3 days post OP and stopped before the insanity started. My rheumatologist put me on ultram for fibromyalgia .... but I don't think I need it anymore and I want to try to live without drugs in my body. I hope it's not a pipe dream ...

Lisa ... You sound very motivated and I am happy for you. One of the guys here said that overcoming addiction is a marathon and not a sprint. Truer words were never spoken. Think long term and "You go girl!" .... luv, Goldie
I cant believe I found a place like this. Thank you everybody.
It feels good to talk to people that understand the happy/death pills. I havequit all the street drugs in the past and never had a problem kicking them like this ****. I know I can win after reading these posts and I think it may save my life. I own my own contracting buissiness and have wondered how sucesful I could really be without the pills. I thank you all again and will probly be posting again when the bugs are crawling outof my skin. After I posted yesterday my wife and daughter got home. I was a lunatic. I got a call from my inlaw she just happened to have some pilss andwould I likethem I sHouted out to my wife I had to go get drugs.( she is not a pill popper) she was stunned that I was so agitated .I broke down and told her I needed help but would need somthing NOW .She said go get them and so I did.
Just letting her know my secret made everthing seem so much more possible. Sorry  went on so long but all your posts gave me the power to try again. I will pull for all of you also.
   Adious aMIGOSE
HI THERE TO EVERYONE. THIS IS ONLY MY 2ND TIME VISITING THE SITE, AND AS I READ YOUR POSTS, MANY QUESTIONS POP INTO MY HEAD THAT I AM HOPING MAYBE SOME OF YOU CAN CLEAR UP. I HAVE BEEN ADDICTED TO VICODIN AND MANY OTHER PAIN KILLERS OFF AND ON FOR SEVERAL YEARS, AND AM NOW AT THE POINT THAT IT HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE AND I AM DESPERATLEY WANTING TO GET MY LIFE BACK, AND QUIT THIS VICIOUS CIRCLE. I POSTED A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO, ONLY TO BE SOMEWHAT VERBALLY WHIPPED BY ANOTHER PERSON IN THE FORUM, THAT COMPLETLY DISCOURAGED ME AT THE LOWEST TIME OF MY LIFE. BUT AFTER DECIDING I WOULDNT POST EVER AGAIN, I REALIZE THAT ONE PERSON DOESNT SPEAK FOR EVERYONE, AND THAT THIS IS REALLY A GREAT PLACE TO GET AND GIVE SUPPORT, WHICH IS WHAT WE ALL NEED, INCLUDING ME.(SORRY, I AM RAMBLING) MY DOSES OF VICS ARE VERY HIGH, FOR ME(EVERYONES BODY IS DIFFERENT) AND I HAVE TRIED CT MANY TIMES, ONLY TO GIVE IN, ONCE THE RESTLESS LEG THING STARTED IN. ACTUALLY I DIDNT UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT WAS AT ALL UNTIL I FOUND THIS SITE, SO THANK YOU TO THOSE THAT MADE ME REALIZE THAT THAT IS PART OF WD. I HAD ONLY TOLD TWO PEOPLE THAT I HAD THIS PROBLEM AND THEY WERE SHOCKED, AND I HAVE FELT SO ISOLATED AND ALONE, COMING TO THE GRIPS THAT I HAVE ALMOST ACCIDENTALLY OD-ED A COUPLE OF TIMES(ON VICS) AND THAT I HAD TO GET ALL THE HELP I COULD TO DETOX. THE MOST FRIGHTENEING PART WAS THAT I ONLY HAVE TWO VICS LEFT(I USUALLY TAKE 8-10 DAY)SO IT IS DO OR DIE, SO TO SPEAK. I REACHED OUT AND CALLED A FAMILY MEMBER AND I AM GOING IN TWO DAYS TO DETOX---CT, AND I AM SCARED TO DEATH.I HAVE GOTTEN ALOT OF SUPPORT(OTHER THAN THE ONE ANGRY SOUL-THATS OK THOUGH) FROM THIS FORUM, AND WANT TO SAY THANK YOU. BUT I ALSO HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. MY DOC GAVE ME SOME ULTRA-CET, WHICH, WHEN I LOOKED IT UP-IS TRAMADOL HCL PLUS ACET(MY POOR LIVER). I THOUGHT ABOUT TAKING THOSE TO GET THROUGH THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ENOUGH VICS TO DO ANYTHING.ONE THING THE DRUG BOOK SAID WAS THAT WHEN SWITCHING OPIATE PAINKILLER TO ULTRACET, THAT IS CAN INDUCE AND INTENSIFY OPIATE WITHDRAWEL SYMPTOMS----DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE? ARE THEY AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT? WHY DO DOCS GIVE THIS DRUG INSTEAD OF NARCOTIC PAIN KILLERS, AND CAN I USE THEM TO GET ME THROUGH THE NEXT TWO DAYS TILL I START DETOX? SAFELY? ALSO, I SEE A REFERENCE IN THE THOMAS RECIPE FOR DETOX, THAT SAYS TO ONLY USE XANAX IF LAST RESORT? WHY? LOTS OF BAD COMMENTS ABOUT XANAX WITH DETOX, OR IN GENERAL, AND THAT IS ALL I COULD GET FOR THIS....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP QUICK, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. OH, WORRIED ABOUT ULTRACET CUZ I HAVE TO DRIVE LONG DISTANCE AND MY LOVED ONE DOESNT WANT ME TO GO THRU WD DRIVING, AND I DONT WANT TO TAKE ULTRACET WITH OUT KNOWING THE DANGERS, OR SIDE EFFECT, CAN SOMEONE FILL ME IN ON THIS DRUG AND XANAX FOR DETOX...THANKS SO MUCH. WAITING, READY, BUT SCARED AND FRANTIC, KNOWING TOMORROW I WILL ALREADY START TO FEEL WD...GREENEYES
SORRY-ME AGAIN-COUPLE OF MORE QUESTIONS,IF YOU DONT MIND. I HAVE A COUGH SYRUP-HISTEX HC-HAS 2.5HYDRO-WOULD THAT MAYBE BE BETTER UNTIL I CAN GET TO DESTINATION. ALSO, I READ HERE THAT QUITTING XANAX CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS, TO ONLY TAPER-IS THAT TRUE. I HAVE .25XANAX- I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH TO TAKE TO PRODUCE SLEEP. ANY IDEAS? PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE ME ALL OF YOUR INFO ON XANAX IN GENERAL, AND ULTRACET, AND THE HISTINEX HC? WILL REALLY NEED HELP BY TOMARROW...ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN TAKE THE XANAX AND THE OTHERS TOGETHER TO GET ME TO MY STARTING POINT? DONT WANT TO ACCIDENTLY MIX TOO MUCH ON THE WAY TO DETOX. BY THE WAY, THE DETOX IS NOT INPATIENT. LOVED ONE IS MEDICAL PROFFESION AND HAS BEEN A DETOX NURSE. SO WE ARE DOING THIS AT HER HOUSE SO KEEP THIS OFF THE INS AND PRIVATE. THANKS AGAIN........GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU...I EMPATHIZE AND PRAY THAT YOU WILL SUCCEED....
Thanks Goldie, and I will try, but I need some more advice how should I begin my taper, how many per day over how long, I am now up to about 10 a day.
Hi.  I have also been "burned" by someone, but oh well, there's plenty of others to help you out.  I would not take the xanax, if possible.  I was addicted to it before and had terrible withdrawal symtoms (symptoms).  I am now addicted to Ultram and very scared, but ready to get off the ****.  I don't know why the doctor would give you tramadol to get off of Vics?  The other thing is that I am just finding out that tramadol is an anti-depressant! I always thought it was a pain pill, but now find out differently.  It's all too confusing.  I wish I could help you out some, only that I know that xanax is addicting, especially if you continue to take it (like everything else right?).  I wish you the best of luck in detox.  two days doesn't seem like a very long time though, although I hope it helps you.  Please keep in touch and let me know if it helps you or not.
I was given ultram by the dr. i worked for at the time (2 yrs ago) for legitimate pain. i found that after about 1 month of taking it... i went thru massive withdrawals just trying not to take it. it has been 2 and a half years since the day i was given those pills and i am now doing illegal things to get the meds for myself. i got off for awhile about a yr ago and stayed that way but never felt comfortable in my own skin. you get to the point where you do not remember ever living w/out the feeling the pills give. you get to the point where when you think about living w/out that feeling, life seems not worth living. i have never and will never contemplate harming myself in any way but i have been slowly killing myself in every way by continuing to take this drug. my husband just found my last few pills and to my surprise didn't take them away. i just took the last 4 i had and now have to deal w/ my mind tricking me into going to the pharmacy once again to obtain them. i am waiting for the police to knock on my door every day and that literally makes me sick. i have a 3 yr old who loves me so much and everytime i look at him and think about what i am doing and the possibility of getting arrested... i feel ill. but why isn't that stopping me?? i don't know. am i a bad person? no. i care more for others than i do about my own feelings. i just do not know what to do anymore.... i just thought i'd take the time out to vent. good luck to everyone going thru similar situations.
i will say that i went cold turkey the first time i quit the ultram and it hurt for 2 months. my body went thru hell and it was all my fault for not being smart enough to stop the pills sooner. it is a horrible drug being sold as a "non addictive" medicine... i am appauled at the idea of this blatant lie.
good morning, just got done reading the posts...thanks  for your comments. i am going to dt tomoroow, not for two days, i had to wait two days until i go..i will be gone for at least a week or two. i will not touch the ultracet. from what everyone writes about it, it almost sounds worse than the vicodin! and i may be wrong, but the wd sounds worse also. i am glad i didnt take them, so thanks for warning me. i am ashamed to say it, but i got some more vics yesterday, so i am feeling human again. i got enough to get me to my dt, and oddly enough, my dr told me he wouldnt fill my scripts anymore(after yesterday). if i was thinking more clearly i probably would have passed out from the shock, he has been giving me the monster for five years, and i have to wonder, why all of a sudden. he doesnt know about my problem, but you know when something like that happens, you know it isnt coincidence, so i guess i should be happy that i cant get anymore when i get back, but nevertheless, i am still freaked out about that. blessing in disquise? thnks for the warning about the xanax too, but it was all i could get to dt so i guess i will have to take my chances...what are the wd symptoms with xanax? to harlem...you are not a bad person-you are just like the rest of us, or me(i cant talk for anyone else)wanting help, needing someone to talk to, scared and wanting to get free from the grasp of the pills holding you hostage. i know just how you feel. i took them as prescribed for years, but as the pain from my past interupts my life and as i take care of everyone else, i started taking them to make me feel numb. i never really felt euphoric, or high(well sometimes i would if i took enough) but usually i took them just to not feel anything. theyre a good anesthetic, for me anyway, to make my life bearable. so dont be too hard on yourself, you are human, and sounds like you want to quit , and thats what counts. even as i get ready to go to detox with a family member(not impatient) i am scared to death, and cant imagine life without them. i actually still take them because my body is so used to them, that without them i feel wierd, when i first started i felt the opposite. do you know what i mean? well now, i am so addicted that just four to six hours without any and i go through terrible wd, but everyone is different. what led me to this forum was the fact that even though i never thought about harming myself on purpose, my doses were becoming so high, for so long that i was afraid i would accidentally od. so i reached out and found this place, thank god. i wish i could offer advice, but i am in the grips of the monster myself right now, and am even having second thoughts about going to dt. i am scared i wil lose my job and scared of wd and life without them. but i dont want to continue life like this, i cant keep up with the amounts i need to keep me ok, so i am forced, and know , that i must stop this before something really bad happens. hang in there, harlem, you are not alone. this place really helps me. i will pray for you, and thank god for all those that help here in this forum
Mr. Bobby ... Ultram is supposed to have a half-life of 8 hours.Opiates like vicodin have a half-life of 4 hours and methadone has a half-life of 15-30 hours. This means that after 8 hours half of the previous dose is out of your system. Eight hours later, it cuts in half again and continues. Ultram is metabolized in the kidneys so depending on well yours are working, you will hold the drug for longer or shorter periods.
I don't know how you are dosing ... but I can tell you what is working for me. The first thing I did was to adjust my dosing to 2x's a day. I was taking 4 a day. Two in the morning and 2 at dinner time. I then took 2 1/2 in the morning and 1 1/2 8 hours later. After a week I took 3 in the morning and 1 at dinner time.
Then I began to start lowering my dinnertime dose by 1/4 of a pill every 10 days to 2 weeks untill I eliminated the second dose. I was now taking 3 every morning and had to start lowering that dose. I lowered it 1/4 of a pill every 2 weeks. I am now on 2 1/4 every morning .... I am going to cut to 2 1/8. I went to 2, but I didn't feel good, so pulled back. I refuse to to "suffer" .... I was lied to and misled. I'd like to make them suffer .... I need to be able to function. I have a family and responsibility. I also take ambien for sleep. I 10 mil tablet. If sleeping becomes difficult at the end, I will increase the ambien. The doc gives me 2 per night, so I have a good stash. I hope this will help you in some way .... where are the doctors when we need them? I just got copies of my medical reports and my trusted doctor thinks I am a drugseeker. Isn't that a kick in the teeth? After this is over he can kiss my grits ... sorry to sound so bitter. If I don't keep a good attitude, I could relapse. Don't get "hungry, angry,lonely or tired" ... HALT. Another wonderful tool from the 12 step program .... gotta start reading my books again .... ***@****
Dear Harlem, is it possible that you can see a rheumatologist and get a legitimate script for ultram? I would start out my taper with a structured dosing schedule. Take what you absolutely need to feel normal. If you are taking it 3x's a day, that's ok to start with ... you are not a criminal! You may indeed have legitmate pain underneath all that ultram (I know I do) You do not need the mental stress of possibly "getting into trouble" ... make a plan and stick to it. But first, get a regular script. Calm down and pray ... take your husband to the doctor with you. Do what you have to do ... the doctors only know what the drug companies tell them. Unless they take ultram , they don't realize how dependant a person can become. Don't feel guilty. This has happened to thousands of people. You are so lucky to know the real deal .... good luck to you and your family .... Goldie
Sorry .... I forgot to say; tell the doctor that it works well for pain. Don't get into "confessing" ... you have pain and ultram works for you. They give 2 pills 4x's a day. It's only temporary. Tell the doctor anti-inflamatory drugs give you stomach cramps ...you can't take them. I hope it works out for you ... just trying to help
hey again! thanks to all for the advice and simply for taking care to write to me about all of this... i work for a dr. and another dr. happens to share his office. i am scared to death to even outrightly admit to how i get the prescriptions but you could prob. figure it out... i have done this so many times that i fear i could end up having the cops at my door once and for all to end this nightmare. i had one very very scary ordeal where the dr's office called me and left a message and for a week after- i was convinced they knew about my shady happenings and were confronting me about it. turns out it was about another issue but it was enuf at THAT time to scare the ever livin hell out of me. or so i THOUGHT. of course, after i knew i was in the clear, i turned right back to obtaining what i needed and doing it how i had done it so many times before. are ins. companies really privey to people who bring rx after rx in the pharmacy week after week? i don't know. i was started on ultram and now i am on ultracet. i wanna stop but i am literally not lying when i say i do not think i can.... i did quit cold once b/f but every day after was consumed w/ how i could get some more pills and by the years end, i had found my way... i feel so sick writing this. i look in my son's face and see how innocent and amazing he is and i wonder why that right there isn't enuf to jolt me out of this nightmare.
i do not approach any other dr. b/c it isn't that i need them now for any kind of real pain. it's just that when i stop, i get so ill... and depressed and hungry and tired... as we all go thru here! well, anyway, i am on my way to the pharmacy who's printer was messed up and told me it would be a few hours til i get the meds. i acted fine but inside all i can think is how bad i feel and how i am going to DIE if i walk back in and find myself in severe trouble. i guess i also wonder is there anyone else out there doing anything like me who really isn't a criminal or a monster and is just tunnel visioned- trying to keep from going down that long path of withdrawal... lord i hope someone else does these kinds of things... sorry for the babble.
it sounds like you don't believe in yourself and need "them" to stop you ... or you will never stop. Just read this board and you will see how many people did the same things to get thier drug of choice. I personaaly am glad it was ultram because I know how to get off of them without getting sick (WD) ... I have no mental craving as in opiates. I want to be natural and healthy if possible. And hey, I'll never know if I don't try. Harlem ... try to calm yourself and take a break to figure things out. Take your regular dose ... find some quiet time and make a plan. You don't want to have a WD just "happen" to you ... when you are not prepared. This may sound silly but what if we had a disaster or attack or whatever and we could not get our meds? We would all be hurtin big time! That's not for me ... I have a family that I love .... and they need me.
PS ... try to get tramadol. That ultracet is full of tylenol. You will so much better just changing to plain ultram. Good luck ... ***@**** (email me, I have a few more thoughts)
Hi I was wondering if anyone out there could answer a question for me. Iam addicted to vicodin for about 2 years now and my Dr. gave me a script for Ultram. I heard that if you are addicted to hydrocodone and take Ultram that it can produce withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I am afraid to take the Ultram cause I've been through the withrawel from Vicodin many times and dont want to go there again. Has anyone taken the Ultram with the Vic's? But on the other hand I have been hearing that the Ultram is great for taking the pain away and I suffer all the time with extreme back pain. So any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I posted a question about being addicted to Vic's and taking Ultram with it. I heard that it can make you have withrawel symptoms like from Vi's. Is this true as I want to try the Ultram but am afraid to do so unless someone can tell me it is ok. Please e-mail me at ***@****, or ***@****. Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated
I'm not sure I understand: you want to take Ultram WITH Vicodin? At the same time? No point in that. Or do you mean, take Ultram instead of Vicodin? If you're addicted to Vicodin, switching to Ultram will help relieve withdrawal from the Vicodin, but won't cancel it out. Ultram works like an opiate, so longterm use can produce dependence. But it is a good pain killer. I felt it provided longer lasting pain relief than Vicodin.

Thomas
Thanks for responding. I was wondering if I can take Vic's with Ultram yes. Why do you say there is no point in taking both?
I dont want to go off the Vic's, but would like to cut down and was confused as to taking both and having WD symptoms. I havent taken any Vic's this morning,in place of them I took an Ultram 50mg and about 3 hours later took another. I want to take a Vic to get the "get up and go" feeling. I guess I want to know if I can take both within a short period of time and it be ok, without the Ultram triggering WD ( this is what I heard it can do if you are addicted to Vic's ). Thanks again for responding to my questions!!!! animalsrme
It's generally not a good idea to mix two drugs of the same class, in this case, opiate agonists. You might at least check around a bit to see if there are any warnings specifically about combining Vics and Ultram. I know some chronic pain patients use a time release opiate med such as OxyContin and add Vicodin for breakthrough pain episodes. BTW, I've never heard that Ultram would throw a Vic user into withdrawal. If anything, I'd assume the opposite. Some pain meds, such as Talwin, are both narcotic agonists and antagonists. The antagonist action of Talwin can cause withdrawal symptoms in someone dependant on opiates, such as Vicodin. But Ultram is described on Rxlist.com as an opiate agonist. It shouldn't cause withdrawal in someone dependant on Vics.

One thought: If you really want to evaluate Ultram for your condition, taking it with Vicodin is not going to give you a clear idea of how it makes you feel. You'll only learn what the combination does for you. Why don't you try the Ultram for a couple days without the Vics? Many people say that Ultram energizes them like other opiates.

Thomas
Hey thanks Thomas you are very insightful on this subject and I appreciate the input, Thanks!!! There is a few places I read that said if you are addicted to Hydro's and take Ultram that it can produce WD symptoms.I personally thought like you said that it would be the other way around, but after reading otherwise is what got me scarred to try Ultram. I did take already 100mg this morning and it did make me get the "rush". It is different than what I've experienced with the Hydro's, but kinda the same. I also was wondering how many mg would be a normal dose for a 24 hour period? My Dr. wrote out to take 1 to 2 a day, but he verbally told me if it works good for my pain I can up the dose to as many as it would take to control my pain...whatever that means!! LOL. I didnt ask him any questions about what he meant as I didnt know anything about Ultram until after I got the script and starting researching it. I was more conscerned with getting the Hydro's of course!!! But you are right I need to leave the Vic's alone (except to take enough so I dont go thru WD) to see if the Ultram work for me. Thanks
I just looked up the max. dose in a day so no need to answer...Thanks Tana, animalsrme
Ultram can replace vicodin and vicodin can replace ultram, but do NOT take them together. Ultram is a better pain med as far as I am concerned because there are no mental symptoms (cravings and obsessive thoughts) it stays in your system longer and you will be able to function quite well. Just stop taking it once a month  so as to prevent a build-up in the body and you should be fine .... opiates are good for 3 days and then you are
stuck in quicksand. One thing ... taking one ultram is just not enough. Take two first thing in the morning (never on an empty stomach) and one or two every 6 hours later as needed. Six a day is plenty ... of coarse you must see how you feel. I settled in at 4 per day. Now I am down to 2 1/4 everymorning and I'm having some pain ... but holding at this dose. It wouldn't hurt to consult your doctor .... good luck, Goldie
Does anyone know how it affects your liver?  I am so concerned because I am trying to go through a weaning process and I am taking up to 30 a day. I know I am playing with fire.  I am also going to go to a acupuncturist to see about it.

Help.....
ldjohn
Thanks for the input. Yes I already found that 2 work better first thing in the morning.They work wonderful for the pain, but I must admit that I like the feeling of the hydro's better. Also I noticed that the Ultram give me a funny taste in my mouth. Is this a common side effect, and will it go away after my body adjusts to them? What do you mean by stopping them once a month? For how long? And if you know, how long does it take to become dependent on them compared to the Vic's? From what I have been reading the WD's are far more intense than the Vic's and that does concern me. Thanks, animalsrme
Dear friend ... ultram is the most unpredictable medication you will ever find. I believe it takes weeks to clear out of the system when used for a long period. That's why I suggested quitting ultram once a month for 5 days at least. You will keep your tolerance low as well. I wish I would have known what was going to happen ... I would have stopped. Right now I'm coming out of a fibromyalgia flare-up, but will resume my taper schedule again in a week or so. Vicodin really messes up my mind. It works on the pain, but my mental state is really bad if I take it for longer than 2 weeks. I start having weird thoughts and little voices in my mind telling me whacky things... gee, just thinking about all that. I am so glad that I got away from it .... now I need to do the same with tramadol, although this low dose dosen't have any ill affects on me, I just want to be free. Good luck to you ... ***@****
Thanks I'll definatly take your advice to heart about the Ultram. I have a freind that has Fibromyalgia and she can be in a lot of pain at times, so I do sympathize with you. My Dr. also has me on Elavil at bedtime to help with sleep and to control chronic pain, have you heard of any interactions between Elavil and Ultram? I wish you all the best!!!  animalsrme
As long as you have a doctor in charge .... I thought ultram does NOT mix with antidepressants. Please research this and talk to your doctor. Ultram mixed with an antidepressant can cause a seizure ... doctors make mistakes so check it out!
Hey I was just wondering, Who are you? Are you a Dr.? Boy oh Boy..You sure sound like one.... Anyway..I'm new to this, so it will be really interesting to get some feed back from you.!
Either one of us..or one of them??..
Enquiring animals want to know?

Definately one of us (you), although there are many, many doctors with a foot on both sides of this fence. Some come around here from time to time.

I'm sure people get sick of reading this, but you asked. I'm just a guy with 31 years of Rx drug addiction under his belt, so to speak. If I've learned anything, it's been through shear repetition, like rain wearing away a rock -- a big, dumb rock! If there's anything special about me, it's that I should be dead and I'm not.

So, who are you then? Quid pro quo, Clarice.

Thomas
Thomas is just being modest.  

I'm still convalescing from his last house call!

Sighing in the Dark
Oh Juudes - Thomas made a housecall to you, too? No wonder you're still convalescing! That's why we haven't heard from you! Oh you naughty little Canuck! Are you sure you're not really "Pantinginthedark"?  Hi Judy - couldn't resist! Hope you're doing much better and you know I love ya - Kat
Have the lambs stopped crying, Clairce?
I've written my story before it's exactly like the one on HBO "The Smashing Machine" if you know what I'm talking about you will appreciate it I am a very well known ultimate fighter and was in an unfortunate accident that took almost took my life but unfortunately took my career.  I am also a world-class freestyle wrestler who has had his share of adversity.  But anyway, I have been on so many pain killers on and off and had no problem getting off of them until I met ULTRAM that was the day my life changed I had four ruptured discs,broken ribs,broken ankle and numerous fractures in my spine and was using these drugs to calm the pain also some nerve damage that extended into my stomach. Well anyway I would take Vic's,Morphine 10mg and some other stuff like tylox but for some reason I could stop for awhile and there were no serious withdrawls and then I went to the doctor and he told me that there was this stuff called Ultram that worked great for pain (I guess he did'nt want to make me a junkie) and I said "cool" let me get it. And then he said it's also non-addictive and I said even "cooler"

Well needless to say after about a couple months I was having to take so many pill of this stuff just to fend off my pain and my withdrawls. I knew they were withdrawls because of the profuse sweating and the creepy crawlys and anxiety that was unbearable.

I have trained and cut weight for competitions before and I thought that was a test of will and heart but this,this was different I could'nt take it.  

One day I just woke up and told myself I ain't taking this **** no more well that was a rude awakening I went from about 15 pills a day to 0. Well I got sick could eat sleep and felt real bad all I wanted was a pill but my will prevailed and it took about a month to feel normal and be able to function again.

I am still taking medication but it's all over the couter and my body is'nt tricking me anymore about the pain.

Well try to stay away from Ultram if you can at first it won't give you a buzz but after you get used to it will and then it will take over your life.\

Write Back///////

SoCal Grappler
Yes the lambs r crying!! I'm going through another Hell!!, Oh well, dont we all?? Bahh ,Bahh ,Black Sheep...If you ( meaning all of you), can anyone tell me of a good secure source?? I've been through a very well know one, but am looking for something better..I'm sorry for "feeding the urge" to many..but this is my hell!!! Thanks, Tana
Hey Babe, So sorry to hear what has happened to you!! But guess what??I've been there and still going!! How do you tell someone "Good Job!! " and then be a hypocrite?? (Sorry for the spelling ), I cant seem too find the easy way out of this hell!! Oh well!! Good luck to you !! Wish you the best, One thing? I realy like Ultram, shame on me.....I'm a 41 year old gal with a stressful life..so tell me how you cannot get away from something that makes you feel soo good???                              Talk To Ya, Tana
A word to the wise: don't talk sources here unless you mean the legal kind. Anyone can get a handle on this forum, which is one reason it's always interesting. But your decidedly unfriendly neighborhood DEA man can get a handle here, too. Of course, you're free to talk privately with forum members about anything you want.

As for Ultram sources, as long as you have the money, there are hundreds of online pharmacies that legally offer Ultram (tramadol). Just enter the word Ultram in Google and you'll get more pharmacies than you know what to do with.

Thomas
Don't worry about Thomas. You would think after all the drugs he has alluded to doing, he is permanetly paronoid.
The dea can't track EVERYTHING and EVERYONE in the ******* world.
Drugbuyers.com will provide you with legal, DEA approved, ways of obtaining legal Rx's for many items. Read up, learn, especially on the DEA's laws, ect. and you will be fine.
Have a good night.
Chezz
Jeez you guy's, I didnt mean to call on the wolves!!! Thanks I do know about drugbuyers, been there done that, to high priced!!. I'm not afraid of the DEA, after all I do things on a legit basis. I was just wondering if anyone knows of "another  source" that is not so expensive? My e-mail is either ***@****, or, ***@****                 Thanks Ya'll ,T
Is "ultracet" anything like Ultram.. addictive, the usu Qs. A coworker told me she had been taking in a long while (maybe for arthritis) and I shared a buncha Ultram stories w/ her.. I didnt know @ Ultracet, nor did she.. Hope I get an answer this being posted so "low" on the Forum~

AN ASIDE: i Just heard an ad on the Boob Tube for the BURNT COOKIE COMPANY... mmmmm rivals my taste for Vikes!

Burnt cookies and milk.
~~Tres delish

Hi, WonderMom here.

Ready to kick the Ultram Beast.  I'm up to (sometimes) 20-25 a day.  I'm taking the Tramadol from Mexico.  I've been making bi-monthly trips to Tijuana ($4 round-trip) bus trip from US border.  Living in So. Cal had this disadvantage for me.  I've actually become good friends with my Mexican Pharmicist Frankie.  I'm not sure if he thinks I'm selling them here on the streets or what, but according to everyone across the border, they are non-addictive.  I think they know better.  He gives me 100 for $50. You can declare them at the Border because they are not a scheduled narcotic.  Needless to say, it's been all to easy.

I will go tomorrow,  get my last two bottles, set up my tapering program, and enlist in my Sister to hold on to them for me.  I'm also going to use internal cleansers, blood purifiers, and supplements to help get it out of my system faster.  I will use Xanax as needed (from Mexico of course) since it does not produce any type of euphoria or anti-depressant action.  I have been taking Tramadol for anti-depression.  It has worked but I have definately abused it.  

I will post what supplements have helped.  My Mom said she heard of one that is suppose to be excellent for helping eliminate the cravings.

I guess, just thanks for reading my post.  Just knowing that its out there and being read by others like me confirms my will.  I'll probably check in when things get hairy.

Big Hug To Everyone.
Hey there,

I hope you can get through this alright.

I know how good it feels to have it and how awful it feels

not to have it.  Things like this are very difficult to get

through without a huge cache of support and assistance of

some sort.  Please do not hesitate to write to me directly

and I will answer you in support.  This forum seems to be a

good source of support for more people than meets the eye.

Your willingness to write and ask for help or for answers to

your addiction is a step in the right direction, babe, and the

hopefully it does'nt stop there.  What I recommend is tapering

especially because everything that I have learned about this drug

is that it works on opiate pain receptors and is also an

anti-depressant which in long term use is not a good combo.  

Even though the doctors will tell you that its non-addictive.

Man, I could ring every doctors neck who said that.  Well take

care babe, and write me back with progress.

Socal Grappler
Hello Again!

Not too sure Taper-ees is a word.  Now it is!  Just wondering with all those who are one "The Schedule" (tapering) how it is going and if you have any words of Wisdom for me.  Just got back from TJ for my LAST bottle of Tramadol and bid everyone down there ADIOS!  Scary thing... as I left "Frankie" told me, "no matter what you need Nina, I can get it for you."  Hmmmm, I wonder if he can get me an autographed photo of Antonio Banderas?  Or, Antonio Banderas himself!  Somehow I don't think that's what he meant.  

Anyway... read somewhere on the web that one gentleman used the 4mg Nicorette Gum for any withdrawls and it actually took the edge off them.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Would it be wise to mix the two?

To get myself started on the Return Path Back To The Real Me, I went from 20 to 12 pills yesterday with no problem.  I also took lots of B Vitamins and a liver and kidney cleansing supplement.

I'm ganna do this!  No more excuses!  If for anyone, for my 5 year old son.  He doesn't deserve a Mom dependant on a pill.

Thanks for reading!
Try to switch to another opiate after you have tapered as much as you can with your Opiate of Choice.  It is very hard to taper completely off of your Opiate of Choice without switching to another Opiate close to the end.  Try not to switch to any Opiate that is too strong (Gives you much of a "uzz")or use for too long - you don't want to trade one Opiate for another, but to taper off.
Way to go!! I like your handle .... that's what tramadol does ... turns you into an energy machine! But lets face it. No real person has that much energy! It's unatural.(smile) I am presently holding at 2 1/2 tabs a day. I dose once in the morning, after having toast and tea. I was at 2 1/4 but came down with a sinus infection and had to get antibiotics, so I went back to my comfort zone. I want to make one more drop to 2 pills every morning and then plan on a total withdrawal. You sound so good. Try to drink some extra water(distilled) every day and take mild suppliments. You don't want to bombard your kidneys with alot of extra chemicals. Slow and steady wins the race. If you take it slow ... you will get through it perfectly. Going from 20 to 12 is a big drop. I would say to stay at each level for a week or more. This drug is full of trickery. You think it's ok ... then you get some weird and unexpected symptom a week later. Build yourself up .... and have something for sleep if and when it is necessary. I use a heating pad for the early evening backache. Also a backscratcher for that "crawly" feeling. I'll be sending good thoughts to you .... ***@****
I have a question~~  I've been on Vicodin 7.5mg for a while now for chronic nerve pain---it has been a great help for pain---before that I was on Tramadol 50mg.....Coming off the Tramadol was no picnic, as I'm sure you're all aware.....My question is:
I'm going away this weekend, so I've set aside enough of the Vicodin for the trip...however, that is the last of it until I see my doctor when I come back. I believe I've become accustomed to the Vicodin, because when I dont take it i feel terrible.....Since I don't have enough Vicodin for the next 3 days until my trip,  would it be safe to take a small amount of the Tramadol each day until the trip, then resume taking the Vicodin during-?
Thanks for any help~!
I took Lortab for back pain for about 3 weeks to a month and i became "dependant". I was a little too young to know that you could get addicted to ultram when i first started taking it years before the Lortab. I took it for stomach cramps. When i stopped taking it several times after i took the ultram for just a couple days, i finally realized that the miserable feeling i had after stopping the ultram was actually related to taking the ultram. The withdrawl (withdrawal) from the Lortab was just as bad! For some reason, i started taking ultram again as a "quick-fix" to pain and depression. I am ashamed and toooo young to on this medicine. I went to go off of it yesterday thinking that since i had only been taking 2 at night for 2 weeks the "withdrawl (withdrawal)" wouldn't be that bad. But when i woke up yesterday from not taking it the night before i was so achey (achy) and fatigued and had the worst headache. Laying in bed didn't help and i had to get up and go somewhere. Well, i started having these hot flashes and cold sweats (which i can't stand) and then i got so dizzy and couldn't stand anymore. I just wish there was something i could do to lessen the symptoms and to know how long it will take to feel better. I remember the last times it was only a couple of days but they were the longest days of my life. Can i drink water? I mean i would love to sit in the bath ALL day but i have school and things i have to do. I don't want to wait till the weekend. This medicine takes away my personality and going off it causes me depression especially going off it but i think i can handle that. If i can manage exercising should i? Will it quicken it? Because i also know that any small amount of pain is just that much greater when you are in the process of going off it. Okay i am done. Hopefully someone can help!
And i was not prescribed the ultram obviously but someone in my family had it prescribed so i could get it at anytime i wanted.
hi iam a mother of two and i am hooked on tramadol!!! my mother is also. we get them off the net,and we want to stop! i cant do it anylonger,i have two beautiful children and iam only in my late twienties!!! but we have been takeing them for 1 1/2 years. i love the i can do anything feeling that i get from them,but i hate the crabby come downs. and this is what iam scared of that i love them soooo much. they are a part of my life i cant go anywhere without them. its so funny because i always said i never was a person that could take pills everyday and always remember.(ha ha ) well we just need to know how to tapper off and what in means to take supplements and things and other drugs to help you make it????!!!! please help i want to be free of this controling,powerful beast for good. so i can get on with our lives!! thanks for listening also i have chrones disease and my husband left two months ago, made it eaiser to stay with them!!    thanks babyangels27
Hun this post is five years old. I would hate to see people overlook your post .If you go up to the top of the fourm. You will see where it says "post a question" and repost ......hope to see you post .
avis
how much ultram do you have to take to become addicted and how long do you have to take it
I have been on 600 mgs. of Ultram for several years. I have 2 refills of 120 left, and then my doctor is only going to write me a script for 1 200 mg ultram ER a day. I am trying to wean myself, but this is a horrible withdraw with the worst symptom being horrible depression.
just to let everyone know. people are very different. my sister was addicted to ultram she took 15 a day and tried to ween herself off without a doctor in the second week she started to hear voices and was very peranoid. during the second week the voices told her to drink pinesol thank god her husband was home and smelled it in her vomit. he called 911 and they got her to the hospital in time. so i advise anyone who is addicted to seek help dont do it by yourself .we are very lucky to have her here today. god bless all of you.
hi. I am 22 with alot of back pain. I was diagnosed with scholiosis in middle school but i have always had pain. More so now than ever due to me being more active and doing landscaping for a living. I was perscribed ultram. 60 pills a month. Well 60 turned into 180 and some. When im all out i get anxious ''rls'' feelings in only one leg, grumpy, tired, and weak. Now 'tired' and 'weak' do not go well with my job since i use dangerous equipment everyday. Anyways, ive tried vitamins, muscle relaxers, ropinerol which is for rls and nothing makes me sleep or feel any better. Any other suggestions. Im too young to ruin my life..
Just wanted to warn people because I had to suffer a lot with Ultram. I was addicted to pain killers and would no longer take them for my back pain but just for pleasure. So I got hooked on Vicoden, Norco and Percocet. I can tell you from withdrawals from every pill listed, that Ultram was the worst for me. My doctor would swear that Ultram is not addictive (BS!) and it was the way to go if I wanted to get off my pain meds. Yeah right!!  I was able to get off Norco, Vicoden and Percocet much easier that Ultram.  
Once I decided to get off all pain meds once and for all because I was tired of planning my day around a stupid little pill I decided to get off Ultram. I was hell-bent on letting big-pharma control my life NO-MORE!! . Let me tell you, Ultram withdrawal is like living in hell for 6 days straight, That's how long it took before I was able to get some sleep. Just the RLS was hell in-itself. please take it from me, DO NOT USE ULTRAM!!!.
It took 6 days for me to feel semi-normal. It was hell but I was tired of being a slave to these pills. Now it's been a month since I used and still have some trouble sleeping but feeling much better than before. I know every case is different but just wanted to warn people that ULTRAM is a Lie and should be labeled highly addictive. I hope someone reads this and avoids going through hell like I did.
All I can tell you buddy is to get off cold turkey. Weening never worked for me and noticed that a lot of people just cant ween. Go cold turkey, stop all pain meds because trust me brother, back pain is better to deal with that addiction. Once you do that, do some coffie enemas and start taking multi-vitamins and amino acids. get exercise and take long hot showers.
I was given Ultram for bilateral foot surgeries that didn't work. That was in 1997. Fast forward 2013...I have I guess what would be called W/D symptoms, extreme nausea, cold sweats, vomiting, dry heaves...anyhow my doc says its from the Ultram. Don't take it!!!! I am trying to down dose now but it is a slow process, and it *****.