Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Using Ambien for Xanax withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Using Ambien for Xanax withdrawal

I was wondering if taking Amibien for insomnia is a bad idea. I'm on day 18 of no Xanax, and while right now I'm in a "window of normality" I haven't been able to sleep well at all, I'm only getting a couple hours of sleep at night, and night time seems terrifying. I get up several times at night and keep imagining a demon in my living room, with my small son in the house I'm worried at some point I am just going to run through the front door screaming. I just read an article http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#27 that there is no medicine that will help with the psychological aspect except for a medicine with benzo-like qualities, Ambien was one mentioned. I also have Trazadone. Just wondering if anyone knows about this, thanx.
Benzodiazepine withdrawal could be very dangerous and has high risks of seizures. Ambien has numerous side effects as well including hallucinations. You should consult with a doctor before managing any prescription intake of withdrawal .
Personally, I do not recommend ambien.  It seems like your mind is sensitive already, and ambien may make your nights even worse. I never hallucinationed, but I did sleep walk, did things I don't remember and it created much more anxiety for me the next day.  Does your doctor know about what you are seeing at night?  
Hi there- Ambien comes with its own problems and with a child in the house, I wouldn't take it. Google "side effects of ambien" and you'll read all about it.

Did you taper off the Xanax? It's dangerous to stop cold turkey but at 18 days, you may be out of the woods. The best thing to do is to get with your doctor who may have some thoughts about this. If you want to try a safe, all natural sleep aid, I've had good luck with Alteril. It's OTC and its in most stores like Walmart, Walgreens. Good luck!