Valerian Root??
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if any of you have ever tried valerian root or valerian extract for anxiety. I have heard that it is supposed to help but I would like someones opinion on the matter. I currently just last month started to take xanax, but as some of you already know, all of my meds got stolen on a New Years Eve party at my place, so I have been doing without. Well I have tried going back to work, and the last 2 days have totally kicked my ass. I am so dang sore that I could not even move my arms enough today to put a bra on...so I had to call in. I literally feel like I have been lifting around 4000 pounds nonstop for a month!!! Oh and my legs...they are just as bad.

So I have been having some major anxiety today, and have nothing to take, and am thinking about trying the valerian root extract. If it works then I will just not take the xanax, that way I do not build up a need for it. I only had taken about 5 our of the bottle that I had, and that was my 1st ever script for it.

So please if anyone has any experience with the valerian root let me know if it worked or not.

Thanks alot,
Aurora
I tried it. It has a VERY pungent smell. Smells like POOH! Hold your nose when you pop that baby in your mouth. It actually grows wild here, and you just chew on the root, kinda suck the juice outta it. I tried it on the first week of w/d when I couldn't sleep! I went almost 4 days with no sleep. I would've tried anything at that point. But really the smell is horrid!
Lisa
I have to agree with you on that smell. GOOD GOD!! I went ahead and bought some, opened them up, seen how big they were and put the lid back on. I havent tried one yet. Did it help with the anxiety that you had, and did it make you tired?
Hi, I have tried valerian and kava kava. they do work but it's a subtle feeling. If you have true anxiety/panic disorder these herbs and/or supplements do not seem to cut it but do take the edge off a bit. I know that the herbs themselves do have side effects as well. For about a week I did take valerian, kava, and melatonin before bed and it did work. I had crazy dreams but it did work. You have to remember that this is coming from someone who was taking .5 mg of xanax QID (4 times a day). I have an insane tolerance for benzo's and opiates so in my opinion for you, try the valerian and kava kava. Also maybe some chamomile tea. It's worth a shot. When I mixed the kava and valerian it did help me out, again very subtle but it did help. I think a lot of it with herbs is also mind over matter. Maybe go on the net and read up on kava, valerian, chamomile, and melatonin just to see what they're all about.
Hey, I pretty much agree w/ mikki35 give it a chance. I have to admit that none of that stuff really worked out very well for me, but everyone can react differently -I also know people who swear by the herbals, I'd check into it.
It did calm me a smigeon. But it didn't matter how much I took, I didn't get any sleep until I got Valium from a friend.
Lisa
Well thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and took one. I am not feeling tired from it, but my heart is not racing and I dont feel like I want to jump off a bridge anymore. I am nice and calm sitting here posting and watching CSI. If it works out this well, then when I go to the doc Tues I will just tell the doc I dont want the xanax because I dont want to worry about getting hooked.

Again thanks everyone!!