Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Very light smoking - long term

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Very light smoking - long term

I've been smoking about 1-2 cigaretts per week only in the summer months for over 6 years now.  I understand the risks of heavy and moderate smoking but I enjoy having a smoke when I'm on the golf course with my smoking buds in the summer.  So far I haven't noticed any adverse affects or breathing problems when I jog or excercise.  Can 2 cigs per week be very harmful?

When I first started smoking cigarettes it started very similar to what you are describing.  It was with friends maybe a few times a week.  I didn't see any danger in it, I thought I could smoke ocassionally and not become a regular smoker.  After smoking ocasionally for about a year, I became a regular smoker I smoked a pack a day for about 5 years and have just recently quit.  I took me several attempts to finally quit.  Nicotine is adictive and the best way to not become addicted is to not smoke at all.  I myself didn't feel any physical side affects until I became a regular smoker.  I didn't even realize the affect it had on me until I quit.  I can finally smell things, and taste foods like normal.
to answer your question, I don't think your in any trouble, yea, obviously its hurting your lungs but not to a severe extent.  Just like anything else, years of use add up but if you were to smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a week I don't think your in any position to really worry..........
If anyone on this board wants to quit smoking (cigarettes) I have a great way,and I won't even charge-here it is! Move to Canada,here in Ontario they are $7.00 per pack,Manitoba-almost $8.00 per pack. I live in Ontario,my wife and I smoke a pack a day each,thats on a good day,sometimes (like for the past 2 months) I smoke almost 2 packs per day! Do the math-still want to smoke?