Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vicodin Addiction/Physician Over Prescribing

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I would like to here from anyone who has become addicted to Vicodin as a result of a physicians inability to recognize the addictive nature of this drug and as a result over prescribing it for perceived pain in the pelvic region.

In addition, any nurses currently working in a hospital environment who recieve "professional courtesy" from coworkers issueing prescriptions for vicodin, please let me know.

One Dr. at a wll know hospital in NY was issueing my wife 2-3 prescriptions a month  over a two year period following  surgical procedure after her primary physician refused to give her any additional pain medication. The addiction accelerated to the point where he was issueing her 400-500 pills a month over a two year period.
I think it's a crime if your wife is a nurse and getting scripts for that amount of Vicodin per month.  That comes out to 12 to 16 per day!  If nothing else, he's killing her with the Tylenol.
Are you saying one doctor prescibes all this Vicodine?  I would turn him in for sure.  

As an aside: I was recently in the ER and overheard two nurses talikng.  One nurse said "Mrs. Smith wouldn't take her Demerol, do you want it?"  The other nurse responded with "Yeah, I'm working a double shift and my back is killing me!"  I'm not making this up.  What's your opinion of this?
JB:

Yes indeed a cardiac physician issueing prescriptions of vicodin to my wife without ever examining her. Thousands of pills over a two year period. Some call it professional courtesy, I call it something else. Some say "your wife is a nurse, she should have known", I say she at the time she asked for the medication was an addict, not in control of her problem.

It gets worse........she eventually was forced to resign her position after 13 years of distinguished service.

The good news after an aggressive in-patient detox program, she is doing much better.

These types of reckless actions of so called professionals must be stopped. Interns, Nurse Practioners, all issueing prescriptions to my wife for this addictive medication without any refferals to an Employee Assistance Program, Pain Management Clinics etc.....they simply handed out prescriptions as if they were "post it " notes.....
I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly, Robert. I'm also pleased to hear that your wife is doing well.  Too bad she had to pay the price for her actions and the prescribing doctor.  I can only hope that she will be able to get back to her chosen profession and help fellow addicts.  There is such a need for people in the treatment of addiction!  And I mean people who have been down that road and can relate plus not take any BS.  

I know two nurses who work for the rehab program here that are just marvelous.  One is a recovering cocaine addict and the other is in recovery for opiates.  Both were high end in the nursing profession.  We like to say "recovering from" because there is no cure for the problem.  It's a day to day reprieve from the scourges of addiction that we are granted, but it takes a lot of work on our part.  Helping others in need is one of the things we do to help ourselves through this illness.

Read my words slowly and think about what I am saying here, Robert.  I agree with you that all this nonsense "should" be stopped but it never will be in our lifetime.  It's like wishing that all war and pain and suffering "should" be stopped!  Wishfully thinking,  Be well and be there for your wife.
All of you sound like you have this drug thing figured out. And I can relate to all of you. I have been taking pain meds on and off(more on than off) now for almost 20 years, and befor that a pot smoker. For the last 3 years I have been taking percodan. I have cut way back on them now partly because I was fearful my doctor would cut me off and partly because I know what they are doing to me. I do suffer from migrains but very few, much less than I tell my doctor about or my wife. About a year ago I stopped taking them as much. I was taking about 120 pills a month. Now I take 50 about every two months. When I get them I will go through them in about two weeks. Then stay strait till my next doctors visit(in about 7 weeks)I have found that the bigest catch with these drugs are that they give you a way to feel, a way to stimulate your mind, and all you have to do is put a pill in your mouth. It is human nature to want to stimulate you mind somehow, to feel a certain emotion. Without drugs this takes reall work.

Without drugs- To fell a sence of accomplishment. One might take up a hoby, or seek a rewarding career. With drugs you can just take a pill and sit back or do something small around the house. That is just one of many examples.
After you take them for a long time you loose the ability to become self-motivated. The only way you know to feel anything is to just take your pill of chioce. Thats why when you stop them you don't feel anything, you just want to lay around the house and not face up to anything. When quiting drugs it is a whole reshaping of how you conduct your life. You have to learn how to feel happy, concerned, interested, motivated feel love. Any emotion you can posibly think of has to be relearned, all over again or sometimes even learned for the first time. It is a hard battle but I can say this. When you achieve happyness on you own rather than with drugs it is a deeper feeling, a feeling of treu happyness not the fake happyness from some drug.

My precription will come in 3 weeks and I will take it again. I am just now doing things without the drugs and doing well, but I look forward to that next fix. I hope some day I will get sick of this rollercoaster ride and quit but I am just not ready yet.

Success to all of you
John B.
JB:

I'm just beginning to get over the anger associated with this whole ordeal. We plan on exposing the entire situation at this well know LI Medical Center. OPD is conducting their investigation, however it will not stop there. I plan on writing a short text so that others can benifit from this tragedy.

Make no mistake however, those who contributed to this tragedy will indeed be held acountable for their actions. 20/20 is also intereasted in running a piece on the Hospital's inability to control or enforce rules and regulations regarding dispensing of pain medication among coworkers. It is a big problem in the medical industry which is costing people their lives, careers and their families.

We are also starting a Web Site to gain better insight into the magnitude of the problem and help others in similar situations.

John, I wish that I did have this drug thing all figured out!  Every time that I think I have it figured out-BOOM.  Something always comes up that changes my whole way of thinking.  That's life!

I know what you are doing with the Percodan and I will neither condone nor condemn it.  It sounds to me that you get some relief from depression  with it, so maybe it helps you.  I'm just not going to sit here and be judgemental of others because I am basically in the same boat.  If and when you do decide you've had enough of this rollercoaster ride you'll now what to do.
Robert, I sympathize with your desire to expose this hospital and its doctor.  However, when shows like 20-20 jump on the bandwagon, legitimate pain sufferers are the ones that, well, suffer.  Good doctors hesitate even more to prescribe medicines that work for those with arthiritis and other constant pain.  Please think carefully about what you are doing.  One bad doctor does not mean all doctors and hospitals should panic over prescribing.  Not being an addict yourself, or in pain, you do not realize what having a sympathetic doctor who prescribes in MODERATION means to us.  Just a small plea.  Thanks for listening.
Well, I feel like a mother bear defending her cubs here but I feel this is a very informative and helpful website. Each person has a distinct personality, and that's life, you'll find that on any addiction website. I've since white knuckled it so I haven't posted here lately, but the times I did, I received help, IN SPADES AND DOUBLE! I still come to this site every day, and look forward to reading posts from the newcomer on up to the "regulars." You all know who you are. Please don't let this site fall down the flusher, OK??
Beanie, I have not heard from you lately, hope you are doing O.K.  I know this board can get to you sometimes but I still come here every day. I'm usually afraid to post much, quess I'm chicken I'll get reamed out.  God I hope that word is spelled right.  Anyway, if you need a friend to talk to, feel free to e-mail me at ***@****  Joan C
First to "John B." you had a great post!  You are so right on with your examples of how life changes w/o needed pain meds.  I would rather you type from your heart than attempt to constantly worry about spelling and grammer.  Please don't mind show off's who do not have your best interest at heart attempt to display their comedic talents here on this board.

To CINDY:  It is so upsetting to know what Robert and his family are going through.  Cindy, I must be honest too and say that I can relate to your "plea".  It has taken so MANY years to finally find a doctor who has me closely monitored with the proper medication.  I have arthritis, TMJ and Fibro.  I went so many years on drugs like Verapimil (for bad headache pain, it was a blood pressure pill) that made me swell up as bad as Elvis.  I also would pass out because of such a high dosage.  I have run the full gamut of meds and thank God and my doctor I finally have such a wonderful quality of life. My kids have their mom back.

And to ALL:  I am so glad that there are more nice and kind ones here than people filled with rage and hostility.  I can't name all of the WONDERFUL that I admire, but people like Cindy, Brighty, John B., Vonn and Jess, Brian (who got back from CA)just to name a few.  We all come here and pour out hearts out one way or another. Who wants to get blasted by some smartass humor on spelling or someone who won't even post their name PASS JUDGEMENT on someone who DOES post their name.  I just want to say that I don't take you all for granted for a moment.  I think your great.  I have been coming here for a year.  Most of the times I leave this board feeling like I have learned something new.  Sometimes I am here just to read the incredible passages by BRIGHTY.  Anyway, I wont ramble any more but I just wanted to take this time to say no matter how hateful this board can be I am thankful for YOU who are reading this now AND all my other friends on this board.

Sincerely,
Shelly

I am telling you this is a wonderful site. Registration is easy and the people are mostly terrfic. They have all kinds of forums including Addiction and Chronic Pain to name a few.

It is moderated and any bad people are quickly banned from the site.

< href=http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go>http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go</a>

See you there. My name is ronnieg over there.
<a href=http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go>http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go</a>
wow!! I thought this site was dysfunctional.  that one is even worse, between some ryker guy and tiffany.  People are People.  lets not give up on this one yet.
Every site has a few problems but I assure you the moderator rids the site of problematic people.

Anyway I have been to both sites and if you are looking for a site where people tend to stay for longer periods of time, then that is the site for you.

This site is a good site as well. The other one is just run better.
I find the site to be good for letting it out. But I agree about the staff not being around much. Maybe it's a money thing.If you are comforted by hearing other people are as bad or in worse shape than you, it helps knowing you are not alone.God luck to all who need the help.If it gets you through the night...
Wow I didn't mean to get everybody so off track here. I know my spelling is bad, and I am not a typest. Friends and family just sort of chuckle over that now. The one person that made that one post has there own problems to deal with and I am sure when he or she is ready that they to can benifit from this site.
  Since my last post I have started to have some really bad shoulder pain. It only lasted a couple of days, but I went to the ER, and you got it. I got some pills vicodin at first. Then a scrip for 100 percs. Now this three week waiting period befor my next scrip turned into only one. It was a good week tward the end I felt so good to be doing things without the meds. I woke(spelling?) up thismorning and went as long as I could. Then finaly about 1:00, after a morning of just laying in bed a I caved in. I should have known better as long as I have them in the house I will take them. Oh how I look forward to the day that my doctor hands me a scrip and I say "no thank you I don't need them anymore". I don't see me runing out of pills till the first week in Jan. That will be a bad month for me. I know I have to beet this thing. What is it going to take for me? When will I just say I have had enouph? I hate who I am. I eaven feel I only love my wife and daughter and friends because of and, when I am on the pills. My daughter is so sweet. We adopted her right out of the hospital. She is 6 now and everyday she jumps out of the shcool bus and runs tward me with open arms and almost knocks me over. We have a very good relationship. No body knows what I am going through (exept now all of you) and it has been this way for 20 years, and through the raising of three other children. I don't want them to know untill I am ready to really stop and start living a reall life. They all know I take pain meds but they don't know what these drugs are really all about and what they can do to you. I leveled with my wife about a year ago but then I started to tell her I was better. I just wasn't ready then. You all know what I mean. I know we all have our stories to tell. So lets start sharing them with one another. I will be gone in about a week and a half for three weeks. We are going on a cruis to the Bahamas a trip we have been saving for and looking forward too for some time. Of course I have a doctors appt. right befor I go so I have enouph meds.
  Lets all keep our heads up and just know that we CAN BEAT THIS THING. Have some faith in that God given will to live. And thank you for all your support. What a great gift we have in eachother.

I will be reading and maybe posting till I leave so till then.
            SUCCESS TO YOU ALL

PS. sorry for all the misspelled words
You are right. I am using the percodan to controle depretion. And it certainly get rid of it. But the pill wears of and depretion comes back. You are a good person thank you for you responce.
             John B.
Yes yes that is exacly what I am doing. Without the percs I am so depressed that I just want to stay in bed. But how can I get a doctor to prescribe this med as an ani-depressent. I also take imipramine 150 mg a day, zoloft 100 mg a day. With all that antidepressent in my system I still dont feel right till I take my percs. I too hade a bad time ajusting to the antidepressants. When I first started on amitriptaline about 9 years ago it was bad at first, and my wife was really scared. I had really bad dreams, and was walking in my sleep, and I felt really druged all day. I almost lost my job(I have been a chef for 20 years now). But when I finally did adjust I had the most productive time in my life. I was taking vicodin also. I did this for about 3 years. Then my doctor called my wife and said he was conserned because I was going through so many vicodin. She felt that there was a problem so told him she has never known me when I wasn't taking some kind of drug. Back around 1975 through 1981 I was a heavy pot smoker. Living in Florida then, it was very cheap and easy to get.Strangly enouph I had no problem with stopping. Probly because it's adverse affects on me were so easy to see.So any way when I called my doctor for a refill he said no more untill I come see him first. So I got scared and dropped the ball on the whole thing. It was easy to do because I was only taking one a day. I know now that that is hardly enouph to be a addict. But when I moved up here to Maine I got a very good job and good insurence. So I went to a doctor and told hime I was having migrains again which I really was, but never as many as I told him I was having. He gave me 100 percodans a month. Then I really started to take them alot! It took 2 years to hit bottom. When I did I told my wife and doctor what I was doing. He said it is so easy to fall into that trap and it happens so often. So he sent me to an adiction (addiction) specealest. I saw him for a while and it really didn't help that much. He put me on xanex for a while and I really didn't care for that so I basicly faked a recovery.Now I am up to 50 pills ever month and a half or so. So I am up and down depending on when I have them and I dont. So what do I do? They are the only antidepresant that helps me. Should I tell my doctor that? Or will he say that is wrong and cut me off totally?
  If you have any suggestions on this please let me know
Does your doctor know why you take hydrocodone? And if he does what does he say about it? I want to be honest to everyone and still take these pills. I know taking them is not good for me and soon I will have to deall with that too.

Thanks for you fast response to my last post and look forward to hearing form you again.

John B.
Thanks for the complement!  I've been on all the SSRI antidepressants in the last 30 months but for one reason or another I couldn't handle them.  Everything from Prozac to Paxil and some others have some rather bizarre side effects for me that I cannot handle for long.  Plus they can take from 3 to 6 weeks to kick in.  I've been legitimately taking hydrocodone now for several weeks, three times per day.  My depression is long gone now and I am able to function physically as well.  On the SSRI's I felt tired and weak most of the time to the point of staying home in bed for long periods.  That's how it is with me in a nutshell.  If someone wants to say that I abuse my hydrocodone,  well all I can say is that this abuse has brought me back into society as a functioning and contributing member.

I've been prescribed the painkillers for pain.  I haven't told my doctor outright that they work on my depression but I'm sure he knows this due to my appearance and demeanor.  I did tell him that I quit my latest SSRI and haven't had a problem with depression lately. I'm not suggesting that everybody that suffers from depression be put on opiates.  In my case, the underlying reason for my depression was constant pain.  I think that maybe someone here like Dan could give you some more advice about dealing with your particular problem.

I also want to remind you that I am an addict but there is no way I'm going to screw this thing up.  I let my wife get the pills from the pharmacy and despense them to me on schedule.  I don't trust myself enough to be in control of these meds.
I am so sorry, but your line about the "bad" people screams for a response, and I am the one to do it!!!!!!  First, who decides what a "bad" person is?  The republicans?  The doctors?  Anyone who doesn't agree with another opinion?  Secondly, I have seen that site and I am sure the people are very good, but that's the problem.  It is a very nice, little bubble, but seems really fake.  And the fact that one cannot speak freely, being screened by a moderator and all, makes it appear to be an "R" rated movie that has been "Edited for Television." That may be a warm and fuzzy little site for shiny happy people, but it seems that the people on this site are real.  I can feel their pain, pardon the cliche.
I think that Dan has read some of your posts and is giving you some advice.  It's probably not the stuff you want to hear right now but good advice nonetheless.  Believe you me, I have been where you are now and it sucks.  I can only tell you what works for me and me alone.  Don't get the impression that what I do will work for you.  I just have a lot of mileage behind me and am able to cope with things on a different plane.  Addiction is just such a multifaceted syndrome that I don't think we'll ever have the final answer.   You have to figure out what's good for you.  Remember, it's only a life and death matter!
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should consider having my wife do the same. I did try once to let her have them and eaven hide them and only let me have them when I really needed them. But that just didnt work. She just put me on a giult trip every time I asked for one. She knew that I wasn't in pain. She does know that they help with my deprestion. She just doesn't think that that is the way to deal with it and would just lable me a junky. How can I get in touch with Dan so could talk to him. This thing is just tearing me apart.

Thanks:  John B.
I also looked into the addiction forum on the MGH site and was disappointed.  It seemed like a clique of regulars that ignored the newcomer.  Several others that I'm in contact with have the same impression.  If you aren't mentioned on their daily "roll call", you don't exist.
I am a regular on the other site. And I can tell you that like any other site it has its good days and bad days.Some of the people are great and some are not, but you have to take the good with the bad. I know that this site sometimes is the same way. I started posting here first. That was back when Chad first got clean. By the way hows it goin buddy? Hope to hear from you soon. I am currently starting to detox myself again from pain pills and these sites are a great help, but also can be harmful if you let others hurt your feelings or you hurt others. You have to take what you need and let the rest slide off. I will be on both sites as I am goin thru this process of withdrawl (withdrawal) and recovery and hope to hear from you good people for your help and prayers. Thank you all for being here for one another, it is a wonderful thing.
Yes this is a wonderfull thing. I have been fighting this battle with pain pills for over 20 years. I have learned more and now feel better about myself in the last two weeks than in all the 20+ years I have been on these stupid pills.
  Lets all keep our heads up and no more feeling ashamed of our problem. Now we have eachother, and lets try to keep those people who have nothing good to say out numbered.

SUCCESS TO ALL OF YOU: John B.
Hey. Thanks or all your help and I hope I was of some to you. Lets not loose contact with one onother. I would like to know how you are doing. I am talking to Dan and he suggested a methadone treatment for me. So I will give it a try. It will be scary telling my doctor. I just hope he will agree with that and not just cut me off totaly.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU: John B.
Robert, I sympathize with your desire to expose this hospital and its doctor. However, when shows like 20-20 jump on the bandwagon, legitimate pain sufferers are the ones that, well, suffer. Good doctors hesitate even more to prescribe medicines that work for those with arthiritis and other constant pain. Please think carefully about what you are doing. One bad doctor does not mean all doctors and hospitals should panic over prescribing. Not being an addict yourself, or in pain, you do not realize what having a sympathetic doctor who prescribes in MODERATION means to us. Just a small plea. Thanks for listening.

I whole heartly agree, recently my room mate with nueropathy due to aids was cut off his oxycotin that he used RESPONSIBLY for two years because his doctor got investigated for some reason. Mike didnt abuse them - but he was told he would not be prescribed them anymore to go somewhere else. He did, my doctor, who was absolutely shocked and agreed with the fact he most likely got investegated....who suffers here are the people that use them the correct way for the correct reason. Of course he is addicted to them, thats to be expected, but he was FAR from abuseing them.
I can NEVER remember my LOGON names for each site I belong to.  At Skips Panic site (a GREAT site that someone has listed the web address here somewhere I am KIMMIE)  Here I am on under my daughters name.  Talk about not keeping ducks in a row.  To long without sleep.  Now I am really going to bed.
Have a great KIDNEY STONE FREE DAY.
Signed
Kimmie, Marcie, Randy (the man with one less Kidney Stone) Shelly and Toby the DOG
That is all.  I dont want my future jeopardized because of the lame few.  I get very upset at the thought of no longer having the correct meds that work for me.  There is no way a Doctor would take away insulin from a Diabetic, why should my Doctor take away this medication that has given me a new lease on my now wonderful life.

It is not a life full of "Highs" and "Buzzes". It is a life WITHOUT PAIN.

If MY DOCTOR does decide to stop or change it let it be HIS decision.  Sandy, dont you think that this issue almost has the same sensitivity as the other issue that starts with an "A".  It is kind of like "Freedom for MY Doctor to choose my pain meds without worrying about the Gestapo behind him.

Kind of like FREEDOM OF CHOICE, MY doctors choice.

Those out there that have NO idea what Chronic Pain is like I envy you. But I dont envy those that do not have the compassion to relate to how we feel.  Lives are ruined or uprooted. Vacations that come to a roarig halt.  Missed lunch dates with my kids at their school.  When the pain in not in control (before the pain meds and the fine doctor who knows that I need them) everyone around you if effected.  I also am involved in acupuncture, chiropracric, meditation, and Yoga.  I do not use the pain meds as the cure all band aid. My Oxy is part of the BIG healing picture.  Thanks for listening and I did not mean to get on any soapbox.  See, You all are so easy to talk to and such good listeners!
Have a great PAIN FREE weekend everyone!
MARCIE!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If this posts twice it is because my paw hit the "submit" button by accident I am so sorry!
That is all.  I dont want my future jeopardized because of the lame few.  I get very upset at the thought of no longer having the correct meds that work for me.  There is no way a Doctor would take away insulin from a Diabetic, why should my Doctor take away this medication that has given me a new lease on my now wonderful life. It is not a life full of "Highs" and "Buzzes". It is a life WITHOUT PAIN.  If MY DOCTOR does decide to stop or change it let it be HIS decision.  Sandy, dont you think that this issue almost has the same sensitivity as the other issue that starts with an "A".  It is kind of like "Freedom for MY Doctor to choose my pain meds without worrying about the Gestapo behind him. Kind of like FREEDOM OF CHOICE, MY doctors choice.
Pain is a funny thing. Oxycontin/oxycodone are not in my opinion the best drugs for chronic pain because of the damage they do to your endorphins. Long acting opiates are a better choice for chronic pain. What is your chronic pain problem? What is your definition of chronic pain? Chronic pain is best treated by a addiction/pain specialist. Family physicians can only treat chronic pain for so long. A family doctor who consistantly treats pain with class two narcotics will always get investigated. This is done to protect your best interests, Kim. I am only giving you facts and in no way am I judging your actions. My heart goes out to chronic pain suffers. But as a c/pain patient continues to take short acting opiates over the years consistently,pain tolerances are effected negatively and endorphins/neurohormones are awashed. When this happens, a number of things happen in the body that cause negative reactions.  You become dependent on the opiate. And you become afflicted with a disease known as opiate addiction. There are risks with this disease like any other disease. Your body will react violently to not having oxycodone in your system. Depression and slepplessness will occur. I am sure Kim that you know all about these symptoms. I just wanted to to tell you what you are up against. Do not blame you personal physician, it's not his fault. And this law you speak of is a good law. It protects unknowing persons from having their lives ruined due to this horrible disease. I do not know what your pains are, but there is  better treatment for chronic pain through pain/addiction specialist. I know that you may get angry with me for posting this, and you may say that I am overstepping my boundaries. But,we are here at this forum to help people by passing on bits of knowledge and information. Best of luck! and best Wishes, Frank
Thanks for the Post!
I see a pain managment doctor.
The Oxycontin is a timed release long acting opiate.
My Chronic Pain problem is Fibromayalgia, Arthritis, TMJ.  I have been told too that I have high levels of mercury which also can cause problems.  I am now in the process of changing my diet (eliminating caffeine, white rice flour etc.) I wake up in the morning feeling like I am 90 years old.  Yoga helps.
I have been diagnosed(with the Fibro, Arthritis) by 5 doctors. One is a physiatrist, one a anesthesiologist, a primary, a neurologist (he had me on so much verapimil for headaches I swelled up like Elvis).  My pain was so bad that my blood pressure was always high so now I am on blood pressure meds. too. Why on earth would I be angry!  You need to post here more often.  I think you are a great expert in the medical field.  Please hang around here.  We need your guidance!  If you know of a longer acting timed release opiate other than the Oxycontin let me know!  My pain managment doctor is a GREAT GREAT man who does more than just write a script.  He believes in a holistic approach to healing.  Yoga has been wonderful! Chiropractic is great too.  Frank, I even go to a stress counselor!  To me it is the BIG picture not just a script.  I work part time and what money I get goes to making me a better me!  I get massage once a week at the house.  My personal physician is a GOD in my book.  I did not know if my sentance came across wrong when I said "Why should my doctor take away this medication that has given me a new lease on life"  He is the one that said that the Oxycontin would be a good idea rather than the Short Acting narcotics that have the other ingrediants that make your liver and kidneys sick.
I have bloodwork done every 4 months to check on liver and kidney levels, thyroid TSH etc.  My doctors have been wonderful (they are compassionate and they know what I am going through.  My primary more than once has met me in his office on his day off and has given me trigger point injections (with the novacaine) and an occasional Depomedrol injection. The TENS unit also helps!  Frank, whatever advice you have I welcome it!  I dont plan on being on the Oxycontin all my life but until something gives this medicine has been a godsend for me.  The stress that my body was going through being in constant pain was just like going through a slow death. That is the only way to describe how I felt. I get lots of trigger point injection in the occipital area and also in my back.  I have been an outpatient for two procedures where I have received deep sacrilliac injections in my spine.  That lasts longer than the  trigger points.  The trigger points are good in the sense that the novacaine works immediatley giving instant relief. I could go on and on.  Thanks again Frank, Please stick around we need you here!
Kimmie
some of you may have read some of my earlier posts about the boyfriend who's addicted to oxycotin, been through detox, came out and went right back using, lying being verbally abusive, always threatening to leave, sleeping in a different room , totally detached, he has no endorphines left. But what pisses me of the most, is his Dr. knows he has no real pain, knows he's addicted(has told me) to the oxy's, but he still gives him a perscription every two weeks for 30 20mg. What's wrong with this picture? Does this Dr. want to keep him addicted for the insurance money or what!  He's not a specialist just a family MD. He's also my Dr. I have neuropathy, TIA's and an unoperatable tumor on my spine, I have cronic (chronic) pain everyday, and he makes me come in weekly for a perscription, I will not take oxy's for what it did to my boyfriend. I take 1 vicoprohen with advil 3 times aday I barely can stand the pain, but the Dr. keeps trying to push me to take something stronger, what's wrong with this Dr. He's vey nice but I'm beginning to think he's just in it for the money, keep them coming back.  Well I'm going back to my neurologist to treat me. I can't stand this anymore, My boyfriend is so far gone, he finally just up and left me and my kids because he couldn't stand  my constant bitching to go back to rehab, of course he denies taking the meds. But every weekend he seems to have the flu, I'm tired of watching the Dr. keep him addicted, he wouldn't go back to rehab, so I ask him to leave, he chose to give up a great home, great kids, and a women who has loved him for over 5 years, and stuck by him emotionally, financially, held his head up so when he vomited he wouldn't drown in it, cleaned up the diarreah (diarrhea) when he couldn't make it to the bathroom in time, too many withdrawals, too many relapses and most of all too too many lies. He's slept in a different room for the past year, called me every bad name in the book, never helped me around the house, because he couldn't get off the couch or out of bed, no sex no kiss, no nothing for over a year, well this time I'm not asking for sympathy, this time I'm not trying to get an intervention going, this time I finally give up, It took me this long to love myself through NA and AA and love him enough to make him leave, I will not watch him die and I will not bury him, it just makes me mad that the Dr. has made it so so easy for him, maybe if it would have been harder for him to get access to the drugs he might have a little bit more of a chance, he knows no one who takes them and he couldn't afford them, he has 4 kids he pays for. Well he's now home with his momma, let her bury him. Please don't take it that I'm not understanding, believe me I love this man with all my heart, but he doesn't love himself how can he love me.  I pray to god everyday, he makes it, because the only thing he hasn't lost yet is his job, one just one more absence and he will(he's missed 52 days in a year) Thank you DR.
Several years ago we had a "Doctor Feel Good" in this area.  I was one of his many patients and usually got whatever I wanted out of him for a price.  His name used to pop up at NA and AA meetings all the time when somebody would have a relapse.  Eventually he got busted and lost his license but only in this state.  As it turned out, he was also a fellow addict that used some of his patients to get drugs for himself(including his wife).  You have to wonder what your own doctor's motives are.  If it seems wrong to you that he's trying to manipulate you into something stronger, then I would seek another doctor.  He certainly isn't improving your life or your boyfriend's.  Remember one thing,  doctors take an oath to do no harm!  Reread your letter and tell me that he's doing no harm to you both.
well it's a week and a half to Christmas.  I changed my home number to an unpublished and unlisted number.  Last night I saw my boyfriend trying to call me several times from his mom's house. I just couldn't pick up the phone, either he wants to yell and call me names, make another excuse for why he can't get the rest of his things yet, or he's probably gone through all 30 oxy's in 4 days which for him wouldn't be hard, he either doesn't want his parents seeing him go through withdrawals(they know about the detox and addiction, but his mother swears I've been making it out to be worse than it possibly could be and that it's all my fault in the first place, that I should as his live in been able to prevent this from happening, I should have stopped it, I tried an intervention months ago after finding out he was using again, got his sponser, his friends and his family to come over and try and get him back in detox, she called him and warned him I was trying to hurt him, so of course, he knew what he was coming home to and didn't come) I've been pretty much alone in this, my kids 9 and 10 know all about it and are very supportive of my decision in getting him to leave. But last night they cried again, because they love and miss him, and can't understand how he could hurt them so close to Christmas, I tried to get them to understand that as an addict, he can only think about himself right now, but it still hurts them, they are so little.  I'm sure I will eventually forgive him, but right now I have too much anger that his choice was himself, always himself.  My NA sponser a great women has been through this herself and suggested I take them to Al-a-teen tonight, since my boyfriend is supposed to come by tomorrow and take all his stuff, it's over. The pharmisist told me that this Dr. is very well know for giving out narcotics and she said that there will be a DEA investigation up here because too many Doc's are giving out stuff in this town, should be interesting.  Anyone know how that works, funny thing is my ex-husband is former DEA, any suggestions? Thanks for being there and listening, My friends all mean well, they just think a couple days away, and he'll make a big turn around and straighten up, they don't realize it's not that easy, thanks for anyone who will listen to me ramble, I just need to know I did the right thing, he has to make a choice, meetings, rehab, outpatient, something, give me something to have hope for. Merry Christmas, I love you all.
I believe you are doing the right things.  I don't have any experience with ALATEEN but how else are they going to learn?  And it won't cost you any money.

Take care of yourself and your kids first!  You don't need any harassment, especially right now.

I don't know for sure how DEA handles these matters but they sure have most doctors scared.
Hi Susie,
Is this man the kids dad?
Whether he is or isnt you are doing the right thing!
Your poor little babies!  From your post it sounds like if he truly had the desire to get his act together you would let him come back.  Is this what he is currently bothering you about?  I mean the phone calls, him not wanting to get his clothes is he wanting you to tell him that he can come back?  If he got help would you let him?  Or would he have to get his act together first?  If he comes home before getting help I see this as a vicious cycle happening.

Susie, you have finally had the last straw.  Something has to change.  You are very couragous!  Keep in mind that your kids are watching your every move right now.  This is one of lifes lessons they will NEVER forget.  

My Mom left my dad after 10 years of marraige.  He was an alcoholic who ultimately lost his family because of this disease.  He would counsel people at AA meetings and then leave the meeting and go drinking.  My mom had never worked a day in her life.  She stayed home and took care of us.  I was 10, my sister was 8 1/2  (and a juvenile Diabetic). Like you Lisa my mom was courageous. She had the guts to do what most might not have.  We went from a big home on the water, belonged to Yacht Clubs, my mom was a volunteer in the hospital, Special Olympics, the Diabetis Center. The perfect life (so to speak).  We ended up on food stamps, in a trailer, and a mom who worked (for the first time in her life) in  factory assembling pens for a living.  NO Child Support.  MY POINT TO ALL THIS IS WAS MY MOM WAS MY BEST FRIEND THEN AND SHE IS NOW.  Susie, my sister and I were little but we grew up fast because of our environment.  My mom is a hero to me.  She did the hardest thing she could ever do!  My sister and I have a relationship with my mom that kids who come from an OZZIE AND HARRIET type of situation would never know.  I cant put into words how much I love my mom.  I love her more for what she did for us.  I tell her to this day that she made me what I am.  I know from that experience that life gives you no guarantees.  That situation prepared me so much more for life.  And now it will help me prepare my daughter and son to be a survivor in their life. This is hard to explain Susie but what I mean is I feel like young children who have strong, supported caring moms like you WILL TURN OUT OKAY AND WILL LOVE YOU MORE IN THE LONG RUN.  

That whole scene back then was traumatic at the time.  We went from donating all our toys to charity every year for the needy one year to RECEIVING TOYS FROM CHARITY (THE NEXT YEAR) BECAUSE WE HAD NO MONEY WHATSOEVER! Pretty ironic dont you think!

What I am trying so hard to get across is do whatever is best for your kids and you.  YOU THREE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN YOUR WORLD!!!! Your kids will learn from you SUPERMOM that you cant help those who dont want to help themselves. You are teaching them that even though you can love someone so much sometimes that just is not enough.  Let your babies know that they are the most important thing in your life (which I am sure they know but its always great to hear again and again!).  They must know that if they are in that situation one day that YOU DONT HAVE TO STAY IN IT!!!!

It tears my heart out to know that they cry for him at night.  I have an idea for you. WHAT IF you had your kids (do you have boys and girls or both?) write on paper how they feel.  I mean just tell them to write down what it is that makes them cry.  What are they thinking?  What kind of sense are they making of this?  I mean why do they think he is gone? I mean could you say something like if you could tell ____ whatever you wanted to say what would you tell him?  After they do this as part of your LAST intervention with him SHOW HIM THE LETTERS.  Let him see and read what you are seeing those kids go through first hand!
Let him know that you have cut him all the slack that he is getting from you and your kids.  Let him know that he has made a mess of his life and that he will NOT be allowed to bring that on to your kids. They are precious little souls that should not have to be dragged through his world.  

You said that you could tell that your boyfriend was calling you from his moms house.  Do you mean that he found out what your phone number is ?  Is his mother an ENABLER or WHAT!  Please stay strong!  What a great Christmas present to yourself and to the kids.  A whole new life! Please Hang in there.  Your kids will thank you for it. Later on down the road if he does get his act together maybe he can meet with the kids or something that way the kids get some closure if you even think they need it.  Are there addiction counselors for kids that they could maybe talk to?  Susie, you have handled yourself so well through this.  You know his mom is LOCO. You dont need him as a boyfriend and you dont need that woman (his mommy)in your life!  You are young and smart you have two wonderful, sensitive kids.  You all are going to make it.  Please dont let that man bring you all down please.  Life is so short.  The kids will be grown and in college and you will STILL BE a human punching bag, verbally abused, will a house messed up all the time for someone with CHRONIC FLU SYMPTOMS!!! I want you to stay strong. I dont ever want him to one day just break you down with the name calling and ruin your spirit! You know you are doing the right thing NOW RUN WITH IT SUSIE!!!!!!!   There is a fine man out there somewhere just waiting for a lady like you with two sweet kids. Someone who deserves you and the kids. PLEASE DON'T GIVE IN. Now Susie I want you to give me something to hope for, for you three!
MERRY CHRISTMAS SUSIE.  WE LOVE YOU TOO.
Love to you and your sweet little angel kids.
Marcie.

I for one am for turning in Drs. who over prescribe, I watched my Mom go through numerous detoxes & it was disgusting what the Drs. had given her!! I have back problems & right now my favorite drug in the world is Lodine, it works better than a vicodin for pain (for me) it is non narcotic (sorry...no buzz) and non addictive. Bottom line is it works better than vicodins or percocets for relieving pain, why arent more Drs. trying this avenue?
I know how your wife feels.  After several years of prescription drug abuse myself.  I believe that sometimes we get lost in the pain and believe that any narcotic med. will help any kind of pain, including mental.  We don't mean to hurt those closest to us, but sometimes there is no other course of action.  Don't give up on your wife. She can only help herself but you have to be there to support her.  I lost evrything that ment anything to me.  My marriage of 10 years, my home and just about my life.  Doctors don't think sometimes before they prescribe.  Dr. are sometimes so busy, they just want to get to the next patient and get through their day.  Just like us.  Sometimes it's the money.  If they give you what you want you keep coming back.  So, really who's fault is it?  I think everyone involved.
You are all very sad and you need a life.
.......Disrguarding that last post, I would like to state my opinions on these postings: John B. You should switch places w/ me....Cindi, I  totaly agree w/ your Dec. 4 post.  Cronic (chronic) pain sufferers are the ones who ultimately pay the price...I know this all to well.  Dervy:  I dont think turnig in Dr's is the answer...Being a "do gooder" never did anyone any good.  It is the good who suffer for the bad of others.  Susie, I'd like to here how you are doing...Your life sounds like my sister-in laws life...and to name a few others.  Be strong...
As for these doctors over prescribing...Geeeezzz!... I truly belive that these are isolated incidents.   I'v had trouble obtainingg "kiddie chewables" j.j., from my docs.  Even for very severe pain, but then again, maybe this is why im not addicted.....YET
Annie
....Excuse my typos.....I know your not gifted in interpretation.
Annie