Vicodin Addiction
I am embarrassed to admit that I am 42 years old and addicted to Vicodin ES - sometimes up to 10 tablets a day. It started over 5 years ago after a pinched nerve in my back.  I have since developed chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia although I am not sure if the addiction has brought on the problem.  Before that I worked out 6 days a week and taught aerobics.  My injury and subsequent problems brought on depression and low self esteem as well as weight gain and I found the Vicodin gave me a "euphoric feeling" and I could get through the day.  What I found amazing is that my doctor kept okaying my prescriptions.  I have tried many times to quit - sometimes as long as two weeks but the utter exhaustion and depression made it hard to keep going.  Through this I have managed a full time job and taking care of a teenager.  I am now afraid of the long term damage I may have done to my body.  I have started working out again with an attitude of "I'm going to do it this time."  My question is - how long can I expect to feel pretty tired and edgy, etc. from the withdrawl symptoms?  I have recently started Wellbrutrin for depression which seems to work fairly well and I have no side effects.  Your answers and encouragement will help...thanks.
You may want to make a new post as this one is an old one.....this is a great place to vent and get support
I have been taking Vicodin for about 5 years now.  It started as a result of a injury and it was just one a day.  then circumstances arose and it wasn't just taking away physical pain but mental and emotional pain and now it has progressed to 10 to 12 a day.  i function everyday and work a 45 to 50 hour week and take two during the day at work for the pain and then when I get home from work is when I take the rest.  If I don't take them it feels like th epain is 10 times worse then it was originally.  I want to stop because it makes me sleep my days away when I am not working.  I have lost my boyfriend and most of my friends because I would rather be at home with my "drugs" then socially with friends.  I keep in touch with my family beacuse it would break their heart if they knew the extent in which I was taking the pills.  I need help and I would like some advice on what to do and how to stop.  Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated.
The original post here is from 1999.  Let's put this one to bed and start a new one.  Stopadditction, if you would post your same comment in a new question, it would get more attention.  I've found that no one wants to look at something really old or really, really long.  There's lots of people here that can help you with your vic problem; but please post a new question.
Peace,
Yoda
I am a 48 year old male, who was addicted to Vicodin, and Lortab for 5 years. Before going to a re-hab, I was taking 50-60 pills a day. I was spending 2-300.00 dollars a day, and had put my family through financial collapse. At the re-hab center here in Mi, I had a complete physical, and expected my body, and organs to be shot. Thank the good Lord, all my lab test were completely normal. I never tried to detox at home because I knew I was in to deep. Getting clean was the hardest thing I have ever done, but it is done!!!! I have been clean for almost 2 years. It can be a gloryus experience, or it can be the most difficult time of your life. Remember Jails, Institution's, or death, are all that await you if you don't do something. You can do it!!!!
I have been addicted to vicodinES,clonipan and antidreppresions for 6 years. I decided 3 months ago to get off of all of them. so slowly one by one I did.however after the 3 months I turned to alcohol (I dont drink) I got a dui the first and only time I got drunk. I was so drunk I dont even remember getting in my car, or where I was going. I was so far away from my house.what the heck happened. did my withdrawls contribute to me turning to alcohol?( I hate alcohol)Thank god, for being with me that night and nobody was hurt!
I can't image what you guy's livers look like!! 10 - 15 vicodin a day!!!?? WOW That means at the 500 mg dose (some can be up to 750 mg) of acetaminophen in each of them then then the people who took this amount would be taking 6500 - 9750 mg of acetaminophen a DAY  The limit a day is typically 4000 mg and an overdose is 8000 mg so some people are overdosing DAILY. Please be careful please please be careful. Your liver can fail miserably and it can kill u if you overdose. I know I am no better but I used to take pain killers like oxycontin and methadone because they actually lasted all day and they didn't have any tylenol in them. PLEASE QUIT OR SLOW DOWN FOR YOUR HEALTH AND YOUR LIFE'S SAKE. I am scared for these people.
Hello! To all of you that have had any addictions, I Completely understand. In November of '09 I was diagnosed with a bulged disc, Degenerative Disc Disease, & arthritis in my lower back. The bulging disc was pinching the sciatic nerve & the pain went right down my right leg. First they put me on the lower dose of lortab every 4 to 6 hrs. Then I went to a neurologist which put me on Vicodin 7.5-750;s twice daily. This may not seem like much & I am taking them for severe pain, however, honestly, I don't know how I am going to get off of these. I have tried chiropractic w/ the decompression & several adjustments, exercise, epidurals, & it seems nothing will help my pain, only very temporary. I have so much compassion for others with any kind of pain in their body. I would love to get my life back. I am getting so desperate I am seriously thinking about laser surgery. I know that I am not taking nearly as much as some of you, it still is a reason to be concerned. I hope all of you find the help that you need to live a pain free life & a drug free life. God Bless You!
Ok I'll just put a question out there and see if I can change the path.

Has anyone had any minor or serious nerve issues possibly relating to the H1N1 shot. I personally know of 2 people who have had nerve issues relating to vacines within 1 month of getting it. I had a terrible bout with something never diagnosed resembling sciatica. This started about 1 month after the shot. I had never taken a flu shot before and was fine for about 2 weeks and then had random dizzy spells once every one or two days. They only lasted a second or two and 2 weeks later the serious pain in my hip and left thigh started. Most of the pain is gone but I still have sensitve skin on my entire thigh and its now going on 6 months. Side effects of the H1N1 have to be one of the best kept secrets out there. No one wants you to know. If you have had any similar symptoms please post it.
My girlfriend has been taking vicodin since she was in 4th grade. Her mom got her started on them for headaches. She is on the 10 500's now and she takes a 5 a day. She has recently started acting crazy and having mood swings. Everytime someone is sick or hears about a new sickness she believe she has it and lays in bed with all these new symptoms. Shes almost borderline bi polar Im not real sure what to do. She then diagnosed her self with fibromyalgia and then convinced the doctor she has it. Then after he said she had it she then had all this pain everywhere that she never had before. She never leaves the house unless its something she wants to do. For example. Honey want to go to the movies? "IM SICK" three hours later her friend calls and shes ready to get out of bed forgetting all together she is even sick. I strongly believe vicodine has ruined her mind and made her this strange offset person who claims to have a fever or a sore throat or serious health problem at all times. She ran out for a week and her doctor wouldnt refill them..she detoxed and she came back to normal and she was as sweet as could be with no pain. THe second she got back on them she had went off the wall again. Does this sound like an addiction to anyone else? What should i do who should i contact?
Hi. I posted about 5 months ago with a vicodin/soma addiction. At that time i had made it 5 days in detox and failed. I have read so many stories that have touched and encouraged me. I feel like i am never going to be free. I don't know what to do. My desire to be clean is strong but the drugs seem stronger than my will. I told my husband about my addiction and he said he knew but didn't  know it was a 'problem '. It is 7:27am and i "had " to get out of bed to medicate (2 vics and 2somas) that's  just enough to get the crawls off me. I am babbling but desperate. The main 2 things that would make it easy is if #1 the restless leg thing, (that's  an insane feeling)  and the lack of sleep. If someone had a fast answer to stop that need to kick my legs i might make it (i get it bad) over 10 years of abuse and I'm still stuck in the same ole rut. Sorry so long
and i need to mention that i dont have insurance for doctor help anymore so home alone is where i try this again. God bless you all and i sincerely hope and pray you all make it in your own way. *hugs*
Please cut and paste this message and start a new post..this is very old and not so easy to locate. Just go to top of page Yellow button.click on that. Anyway..Get some Hylands Restless Leg...eat bananas for the potassium...Get some Immodium AD...that will help with W/D symptoms and diarhea. Just start your own post..and then go to the bottom of that screen..see health pages..then Thomas's Recipe..Amino Acid Protocol..lots of info..vitamins, supplements to get you through. If I can do it..you can too. This is 2/3 mental and 1/3 physical. Attitude is important..making a decision that you can get through 5-7 days of bad flu-like symptoms. Go for it!
You have found a very supportive forum so keep posting. Again on a new thread...then you will get lots of feedback ...and I want to Welcome you!
Navari - I know you don't have insurance but with the money you spend on the pills can you go to the dr and get some Clonidine?  it will greatly help you with withdrawals.  it is a blood pressure medication and it helps with opiate withdrawal.  You know you need to get off the pills.  You don't want to be on them for another 10 years.
Thank you ann, i really understand what you are saying,and thank you. I am trueely fighting with the devil,it sux.I love the high but the feeling is gone, i just need to stay well. I cannot go a day without my meds. I'm looking for the pain free easy way out. I hate my life. want to be clean but i am to weak. you stories give me hope but I'm not as strong as others. I'm broke but always find a way to medicate. i feel awful and ashamed. i want to be free.
Hi. I am addicted to percocet and have been since my car accident in 207. I had a discectomy in 07 but then numbing and severe pain then continued in the left leg and lower back. By 2010 it was again un bearable and I was up to 7 percocets a day. I had a disc fusion done in May and the pain in the left leg lessened temporarily and the pain in my back is horrible, every moment of everyday. I am now out of the walker and back to work 1 shift a week, but the pain in my left leg and lower back is getting worse everyday. I am today up to 10 to 12 percocets  daily. I want to stop, i beat myself up constantly over my weakness. I feel so alone. On a ****** pension, and dont have a family doctor that can even prescribe narcotics. I see all of these other losers getting what i truly need and they take every extra penny i have to better their finances with no guilt. I am frustrated and would love help and suggestions. I am alone with 5 kids.
Is percocet the same as vicaden? I'm in Canada and percocet is what we are usually prescribed. 5/325 percocet/acetaminophen
Percocet is a little stronger than hydrocodone, Vicodin...what you are taking is the percocet.
My husband has been taking hydrocodone for 3-5 years. He hides the pills and I've found them his car, golf bag and other strange places. He has fibromyalgia and says he's always in a lot of pain. He is very hateful and moody. He allows my 13 yr old son to be very disrespectful to me. We haven't slept in the same bed for 3 years. I find this very strange also. He shuts the door and sleeps in his bed every night. I do not want a divoroce. Please help me. He is driving me crazy. We have a 16 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son and we've been married 21 yrs. Please help me!!
Hi , i have been reading all the wonderful words of incouragement.But i dont think i will ever be able to stop:-((( !!! I go from be clean to 10-12 per day. Why do i do this to myself, no my family... Im 38 been in a god awufale marriage and divorce. Now i have a wonderful man that is great to me and im going to mess it all up with this problem !!!! He dose not know how much i take and i hide it from him and my family. the only one who konws is my mom. Im down to 2 a day but im still sick!!!!
i hear you silverangel99, i was really scared my wife would leave me when she found out, i hid it for about 6 years or so. she found out and within a few days i was at the Waismann method, and a day later was detoxed with their detox under anesthesia. like you i kept trying to taper but my body was so used to a high dosage that it was always hell..i tried for years, suboxone, tapering both opiates and suboxone, but when i had to quit no matter how low i had been dosing, the withdrawals were hell. If your husband is as great as he sounds im sure he'll support you getting rid of this dependency.There are options, look into Waismann if you're intending to stop. Some other rapid detox places are a bit shady, but Waismann are the best in this field in my opinion. I cannot tell you how they completely changed my life! i did it July 07 and have been gratefully clean ever since.And my wife didnt leave me (yet lol)
   dont lose hope, there are solutions out there..
Hi!
I have never heard of seizures from opiates except Methadone or if you have another medical condition (like heart problems)?? I have read that the withdrawal can be AWFUL and very painful and make you FEEL like you are dying, but that it is NOT life threatening like alcohol or benzodiazapenes (Valium, Xanax....). Anyhow, I just wanted to clarify because I didn't want people to read this thread & think it was life threatening.
" Opiates - Many people are surprised to learn that in most cases, withdrawal from many opiates is not deadly. Still there are some very important exceptions. Methadone, a long-acting opiate often prescribed as a replacement for heroin can cause death during withdrawal if it's consumed in high enough doses for a long enough period" ( From psychology today)
I think the best thing is to educate ourselves and it is usually NEVER a good idea to quit cold turkey. Tapering off of any drug, including anti-depressants seems to be the most successful and more "comfortable" solution.
Good luck everyone!!!!
YES!!! That is one of the 1st signs that you are headed down a dangerous path. You have reached tolerance to the drug & it will take more to have the same results & the more you take, the more dependent you will be and worst of all, the harder it will be to quit!!!!
Ask your Dr. to help you find and alternative to help you deal with your pain. If you are ever tempted to take more than perscribed it is a red flag!!
Good luck and know that addiction'dependence is a chemical thing, not a lack of will power!!
Be safe,
"Been there , done that"
That's a tough one, without knowing for sure how these pills are disappearing.
If you are certain it is her, the best way to comfront someone with an addiction is with love, concern & support. She is probably feeling shame as it is, so you definitely don't want someone to feel "attacked" or "accused" in any way.
Is there someone above her that you can go to with your concerns?
In many situations, employers will help recommend rehabilitation and insurance may even cover it.
Addiction is such an awful thig to deal with-not only for the person but for those who care.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
So what is a good alternative?

I used Vicodin for 4 years (2-4/day). Due to trouble with prescription I stopped taking, still have a few but stopped cold turkey just to see if I had the power. While it was rough I did it over a weekend.
But my question is this: I have problems with 2 discs in my neck and the pain is through the roof. What alternatives are there?
So glad that I found this site! I am a 37 yr old mother of one 10 yr old son, who is amazing! When I was 14, I was in a car wreck and fractured my lower back. By age 19, I had been in 5 car accidents and kept causing more issues for my back. I have never had surgery, it was reccomended several times to me in the past 5 years. I was married to my sons' father until 2yrs ago and he believed that the gym was the answer to all problems. For years I tried it his way in fear that if we did not have the gym in common anymore, our marriage would not survive. Over the past 7 years, all of my back issues forced me to stop lifting weights and my activity level has declined dramatically!! At one time I worked full time at an office and bartender at special events 1 1/2 hrs away at a casino. For over 2yrs now I have been unable to work, I am getting divorced (didn't see that coming! Lol) and I now have fybromyalgia, osteoarthritis in my hands, arthritis in my entire spine and body, degenerative disc disease, painful cysts on my wrists, neck pain, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Also, from the pain I am depressed. I had a wonderful, kind and attentive doctor, but we moved 2 1/2 hrs away and he said that I need one in my new town. He gave me 4 months to find a new Dr before dropping me. He had me on oxycodone 10 mg and oxycontin 30 mg for pain and Robaxin for muscle spasms, prozac and blood pressure medication. I know I am co-Dependant on my medication, but it is truly the only answer for me until I can get a new surgeon to help me. Before my Dr dropped me, I have tried to find a Dr to treat me but the first thing they ask me when I call to schedule is "Do you suffer from chronic pain or from anxiety?" I never lie and say "yes". Then they tell me (I have called 40 physicians in the past few months all over the State!!) "DOCTOR IS NOT TAKING ANY NEW PATIENTS THAT HAVE THESE ISSUES!" SO NOW WHAT! I CAN'T EVEN GET MY BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS AND I WILL SOON BE GOING COLD TURKEY AND HAVING SERIOUS WITHDRAWALS! I AM SCARED TO DEATH. When I am in a lot of pain my blood pressure sores! Then add the withdrawal symptoms, which I have experienced before when I would try to see if my quality of life would be affected by going of my medicine. I was sick for days and eventually gave in. I didn't like my son to see me so sick. I just do not know where to turn. How am I going to go through life in agony and with severely high blood pressure? I have even been to the hospital and they treat my like a druggie. My rim's and X-ray's do not lie! Anyone have any ideas? I feel like if you need medical treatment, too bad! You are on your own! It would be easier for me to get heroin then it would be for me to get a Dr!! I would NEVER DO THAT! BUT THAT SEEMS CRAZY TO ME!!
THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME VENT! I AM SINCERELY SCARED FOR MY FUTURE.
Let me start out by saying that I have been on some form of opiate for the past 15 years . You name it and I have Done it . This all started from bad  car wreck 15 years back . I can tell you all this everyone has there breaking point with this stuff and odds are you will tire of the trouble of obtaining your scrips as your tolerance increases . I would say that short of complete loss of access eveeryone will self medicate it is only a matter of time years months .trust me I know it will happen! As for me me breaking point hit and at the time I was consuming up to 100 10/325 Norco in a 48 hour period . Don't ask how I had the access cause I am not going to tell you but let's just say if you guys knew how dirt cheap this stuff really is you wouldnt believe . To the point . With endless supply comes a means to an end and those of us that continue to turn to opiates for long time pain relief and I mean those of us with jobs and kids and presumably some life left to live we would only be fooling our selfs to think it is ok to take this stuff. It changes our bodies in was you wouldnt even imagine. The good news is that with strength and some form of a support system this can all end if you want it to. It is and i repeat up to you and only you. It will take most likely several months to get back to some sense of normalcy but be strong hang in make no mistake you are taking back your life  first one hour then one day at a time .
So on a personal note I arranged time off work with an unset return date and belive you me I am a person with a six + figure a year job and more responsibility  than I want to talk about so there was never a good time for this . Remember your life dose depend on this so you will need to make the time to get better . So I made my plans and under the cover of  sickness due to overworking myself which I had to the extreme . Easy to due when you medicate , I set my boundaries and having only my girlfriend as the conduit to the outside checked into the hospital and went cold turkey from opiates 450+mg a day folks. My potassium dropped to a value of 2.6 and I felt if I had been hit by a truck . I spent 4 days in and came home not having slept at all . I knew that I won't I was prepared for this but this was tough and I did make it through . There are no magic tricks here. Folks the truth is that if you want a life back you have to get rid of anything opiate. So if you are going to quit make the proper arrangements and do it safe trying to detox at home one of 3 things usually happens you start up again you end up in the hospital or the worst dead. As a side note methadone and Suboxone are replace one thing for another if you want out get the F out. One of the things that helped me with the depression was the focus ( for me 15 years!) back on how it used to be when this didnt exist and I selpt the whole night throught and I felt young and good and athletic I promised that I would get back there to some degree and I am doing it its been a few months now and i am alright my injuries are there but I figure if I fought the withdrawl depression I'll take some physical pain over mental I just don't want them  both at the same time:)
I wish everyone strength find it where you can not to be corny but sometimes it is found in the smallest of places if you hang in there .
I will disclose this in closing I am in the medical field with many years of education to do the job I do. So we can all slip into the life of opiate dependancy /addiction. It's what we do  about it that defines us.
HANG TOUGH!
HANG TOUGH!
I'm not sure where to start here..I've never had to do thins nor ever think I needed help..But my story, which I'll try and keep it brief..is back about 15 years I too as many here was in a accident. And as some here was prescribed Vicodin for the pain..one thing led to another and BAM! one year, two years, three years..I was dependant on these little pills that I used them for everything..camping, going motorcycle riding..I pretty much timed myself on a schedule, watching the clock to take another pill and move on...I was pretty good at control as I never took more than 4 a day..but realized when I ran out that I needed to get more somehow..I went to Motrin for pain and for some reason i was able to take them, but they really didn't do anything..then I got a hold of more vicodin and dropped the Motrin..so now I'm back on track..daily activities went as planned as long as I had the pills..couple more years go by and ( remember I still have not taken more than 4 in a day and that was rare) I was pretty good at maintaining 2 750's, but then my prescript. ran out so I went back on the Motrin for the pain or withdrawal counter act and for some reason I ended up in the ER from an allergic reaction..not sure from what..last thing I took was a Motrin and three hours later..so no more Motrin and i was fine..got more vicodin..back issues, knee issues from surgeries, kept hurting myself doing something..but it was ok, as long as I had old VIC on my side i was ok with it..well , the doc said we need to get you off the VICODIN and gave me NORCO..I have tried to get off this stuff for 15 years..it has been easy to get..the doctors just kept giving it to me...I'm 40 and feel like I’m 60..could this be from the pills..Up until two days ago I was taking up to 3 Norco a day, but always so tired that I'm afraid I will fall asleep while driving..I feel that everything is caused from these pills, but at the same time I'm not sure..I keep telling the doctor that I have no energy, no motivation, depressed , serious fatigue and pains everywhere like i been standing for weeks..they keep doing all these blood tests and say. nope your fine..well I can assure you that I'm not fine..but yet they keep prescribing me the Norco..i finally saw a internal med doc. and she is like , how long you been taking this stuff? who is giving it to you? so she put her foot down , not even knowing me and I’m going to taper you off..well i said ok, like that’s going to work, she changed the dosage and qty down..so i took more, few months now I'm back to 3-4 a day, but just ran out..oh ya, even with less qty a month, i still managed to get them elsewhere..not important..I know that I can get another prescript. but I'm guessing it will be the last, and I'm thinking now is my chance to end this and get my life back..yesterday I had one in the am, last night sucked..today I'm not wanting to be here at work, Bad headache, pain everywhere..I'm usually a pretty dam strong willed person, but feeling like I’m going to crack..I don't know what to do..so many depend on me that I can't hide..How can i get past the withdrawals (that I believe I'm having) without anyone knowing?? any help would be greatly appreciated..I've read a few posts here and I'm glad to hear your success stories..but at the same time I read them, I'm saying to myself..even if I make it a week. I won't feel better, I'll still hurt everywhere even if the doctors are saying my back isn't that bad in a MRI, or my knee from two surgeries is not that bad..are all of these pains, depression, anxiety, lack of energy caused from taking these pills for so long and now catching up to me?? so much for brief
Im on my first 24 hrs of bn clean im been taking n e were from9 es at a time about 3x .a day which is up to 27 es aday. Noone knows but w oit tthem I cant function ove tried stopping sevrral times and weanin my self off never worked im   single mom np fam w 3 kids im already startin to withdrawl. I feel like I have restless leg syndrome I havw goosebumps nmy bones hurt im only 25 im pretty sure the diarrhea will *** tomorrow imscared bur I no I can do this plwase pray for me as I am doin thia by myself w our no help or support
Taper off .... if ur taking eight a day, start by decreasing by 1/2 pill every two or three days until ur down to one a day then tey to stay on one to 1/2 for aw week or so.

If u try to just stop u will get violently sick ... very ugly.  I know, I've tried it before.

Ed
Have you done this?I ask because I'm doing this exact taper and I am wondering how I will feel when I take my last 1/2 for three days how I will feel .
I am a single mother of 3. I have a decent job and a "normal" life but I have also been fighting an addiction to vicodin and percocet for years and years. Nobody at all knows and I want to be free from this addiction but if I reach out for help I believe I could lode my job, my kids, my family's respect. I have always kept it "under control" and only take them at night after my responsibilities have been met. I have found it gives me the energy to do all of the things I need to get done as a single mother. Without them I am depressed, anxious, etc. I was that way before I ever took them and it feels like they "fix what's broken" in my brain. I just want to stop. I don't want this to be part of who I am any more but I am scared and ashamed and don't know what to do. Just trying to find anonymous support. I wont go to AA or NA meetings. My ex goes to them and everyone knows everyone where I live. That wont work for me. I need an alternative. Help please.
Good morning .how are you doing today?I commend you on wanting to quit that is so great ..you have come to the right place . you will find so much support on this site. :) when I started taking pills I was taking them as  prescribed then next thing I knew I was taking them for everything (pain, walking ,talking, eating, sleeping ,)I could not function even 2 hours without them.I felt like I had discovered life's magic pill.but what I discovered was the devils magic pill...these things steel your life..is there someone you can confide in like a doctor remember everything you tell them is confidential...you can do this .....your life back....hang in there and keep posting ...
Also I just wanted to say that you posted to an oldere post .go to the top of the page and post a new thread ...hang in there girl    I'm pulling for you...
Hi I'm 22 years old and I've been taking 10-15 vicodin a day. I cant tell you all how much I want to stop taking these darn things...  It's ruining my relationship with my significant other, ruining me financially, and mentally.  When withdrawal starts I always go back to using and the highs are getting shorter and shorter everytime.  My family doesn't even know and I don't know how to tell them because they would probably cut me out of there lives if they knew.  The longest I've been without these friggin things is 1 week in two years. I've never been addicted to anything till I came across these meds.  I really want to stop but everytime I try it feels like there's no reason to keep on living, which ***** because I know I'm capable of so much more than just taking pills all day...  Sometimes I wonder how the hell I let these things get ahold of me...  These forums do offer a lot of inspiration but it all seems to go out the window as soon as I wake up in the morning.  If anyone has any advise, stories, solutions, tips, pointers, all is appreciated. Thanks and the best of luck to all of us who are ruled by this evil...

P.S. the FDA are the biggest drug pushers in the world.
I am a 42 year old woman. I am reading all the these post and wow does all of this sound so firmiliar.
This is my story.
5 years ago I was diaganosed with fibromyalgia with denerative disk disease,2 years ago I was t-boned in a car accident and have 5 herniated disk a tear in my spinal cord and crushing of my vertebraes.
6 months ago i broke my tibia and fibia bone and the doc has still not done the surgery cuz I smoke.
I did not have Ins for my leg but got a doc that saw me anyway. He has had me on 750 norco's for 6 months, I do partially blame him cuz he just keeps throwing pain pills at me instaed of doing the surgery.
I have been in hellish pain for many years with no help from doc's so I had to self medicate to help the pain. I finally started seeing a neurologist just 2 months ago  from the car accident.
He is now having me take 10 norcos 500 a day and then his PA knocked me down to 3 a day .
I have thee worste migraines from the car accident for the last 2 years.
I am VERY sensitive to medications, My allergy list is huge.
My headaches were finally going away when I was taking the 10 a day as prscribed, when the PA knocked me way down I am now getting the headaches bad again.
I also go to PT and WT, it does make the pain worse.
OKAY- This is my dilema
I am SICK N TIRED of these stupid pills running my life.
BUT- I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I want of them but I still need surgery on my leg- reconstrutive suergery and I have to have 5 vertebraes fused together in my neck. So what would be the point of getting off the pills if they are just gonna put me back on them after my surgeries?
I am realiy at a loss !!!!!!!!
And I dont want to go threw the withdraws !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know if anyone will understand this but I have a MAJOR fobia to puking. I would rather die than puke. I understand no one likes to puke but this is way more than i dont like it. I would rather someone shoot me in the head than to puke- lol
I know that sounds crazy but its fact.
So what advice is there?
I appreciate any adivce- Thank you.

Dear John my name is Bob I've bin taking 10/325 norco ( vicodine) for over 5 years now for back pain. I was diagnosed last year with degenerative spine disease as I noticed my pain increased. Over the years I built up a tolerance n I was taking up to 16 pills a day if not more. Recently I was reading up on vicodine and found out long time users, your body gets use to and needs the vicodine and if it doesn't get it your body will mimic pain so you will take more. So I quit cold turkey, withdraw was not bad only 4 days and I'm in a lot less pain now then when I was taking the vicodine. My life is getting back to normal and can control my pain with tylenol and aleve. Give it a try keep your head up and stay strong you can do it I did. Feeling a lot better Bob!              
hi pals. I 've iust had to kick codeine . Addicted fot 20 years. I tapered starting feb
By march I reached zero ..
Its april  and I feel good. Its not completely over .
My job is physical.  I did not stop working! No one ever noticed .

Youtube's
Aaroncohen
helped me a whole bunch.
look him up.

Its tough for long termers.
It might be 4 days of unpleasantness for some.
I quit cold turkey 15 years ago.
It took more than 2 month to feel normal.

Stupid me I started taking them again.
I am on day 2 of my withdraws and the thing that is the hardest to deal with id the leg craps and not being able to sleep... the deluded feeling of "everything is going to be alright" that vicodin gives you will be the hardest to kick. Its been about almost two years now since I was introduced to the pill. It started as a weekend fun thing... you know lets pop a few vics and watch a scary movie... then it turned to going to the ends of the earth to find them... I feel so depressed and upset with myself that I let it get this bad :(
Things will get better. First and foremost STOP taking vicodin. I feel the same way you do. Im on day two and I ferl depressed and im sleepless ... this will soon pass in about another two days. The cravings are the hardest part.  Stay strong for your children.  
i have tooken vics for about a year and a half now i started off like the regular takers 1 or 2 a day for two months  then moved up to 4 or 5 a day then 4 or 5 at once then 7 or 8 at once in the mourning 5 or 6 in the evening now im at 10 in the morning 10 at 12 or 1 10 at 5 or 6 and 10 at 11 or 12 counts that thats 30 to 40 vics a day i mix them if i have to if i cant get my hands on them this is vvlery bad i go from norco to loratab to 7,5 to loracet watever to take away my body pain the pain i get from these pilla ia terrible feels like im having a heart attack or cant breath. I cant move or get out of bed without poppin ten now sometime im even chewing worst thing about this ia im killing myself and my life at the same timw im up to a 1000 a week all because of these pills my life has did nothing but go down into the ground i dont know wat to do i feel as if i go to rehab it will not help the desire ro have or take away my body pain . On top of all thia i am only 24 yeara young please somebody talk somebody convience me of something seeking some type of help i cant and wont go cold turkey i rather thou myaelf into a moving train verses dealing wit thw withdrawl symptoms i need advise
I know the pain your feeling.  I am 42 years old and I have been taking Vico din for about 5 years now.  I am up to about 8 pill a day and they sometimes make me sick taking them but I take them anyway because I feel I will not survive if I dont. I have been wanting to kick this habit for about a year now but every time I say I will after I use the next prescription. Well here I am still taking the same amount and feeling like such a failure because I am not strong enough to kick it.  My husband just divorced me because of this and my mother just died 2 months ago.  I am so afraid of the withdrawal that I will go thru.  I just need help bad and don't know where to start

Give it up to 1/2 or a month so the med's get out of you system.  At one point I was change from Vicodin to Ultram without any withdrawal symptoms.  Every person's body and different so hang in there

It all depends on your body breaking it down.
Being disabled since 2000 on Social Security Disability and not having a pain-free day since my Nov 1998 car accident I have a Neural Element Injury which keeps me from working and living a somewhat hermit/reclusive life style. In February 2015 I just found out on top of my existing pain I have Fibromyalgia, which doesn’t help matters.

I’ve had 3 back surgeries, 2 Microdiscectomies and a fusion. I damaged the main nerve root at the bottom of my spine with this 2nd car accident, for a total of 4 car accidents, all not my fault LOL. My pain rules me each day so I might disappear for days or weeks in excruciating debilitating pain.

Due to damaging my main nerve root at the bottom of my spin (Neural Element Injury), both legs, mainly the right has numbness, pins & needle and sometimes like someone stabbed me with a knife or I’m walking on glass.  Some days I have tingling, pins & needles and numbness, felt like it was on fire, and humming of the nerves in both my feet all at the same time.
I know this message is from 25 July 2007 and wondering if you are still having medication problem.  It’s not the Vicodin you are missing it the combination of the right medication.  You state… “I have been taking Vicodin 2-3 per day”, whereas I get 120 pills per month.  The extra 30 (the 4th pill) are for when I have debilitating pain since I take 7.5/325 because the government lower the dosages.  I take 3 pills a day.

Is the Naprosyn (Naproxen) working for you or are you having troubles with that too?

You also state you are on Neurotin and have you had any serve side effect?  

These are all the side effect I got from Neurotin…

Clumsiness or unsteadiness; change in walking and balance (I’ve Loss my Balance Frequently)

Dizziness and Lightheadedness (feeling faint, dizzy, or lightheadedness to the point you almost fall down, which I have many times)

In coordination, no longer to coordinate; Has it restored harmony and control of you emotions, adjustment or interaction of parts; Harmonious functioning of muscles or groups of muscles in the execution of movements, balanced and effective interaction of movement, actions, etc (Same as Balance Problem Due to Muscle not doing what you want them to)

Thought of suicide every other day or everyday; I did every other day?

Aggressive behavior or other behavior problems; rapidly changing moods; reacting too quickly, too emotional, or overreacting; depression, irritability, or other mood or mental changes … I would go into the most horrendous rages for no apparent reason.  Just
dropping say a pen on the floor would set me off among other thing and I did not like how the medication controlled me.  

Confusion which can set you off into a rage for no apparent reason

Sometimes delusions and dementia (memory disorders, personality changes, and impaired reasoning; a mental illness that causes someone to be unable to think clearly or to understand what is real and what is not real)

Concentration problems; trouble thinking

Loss of memory starts out slow forgetting little thing until it gets serve and you’re very forgetful.  I was losing too much memory and wanted off Neurotin because I didn’t want to lose anymore.  So my doctor told me about 2005-2006 that Lyrica came out and waits a year to see if it rates too many side effects as Neurotin.

Suspiciousness or distrust of anything or anyone

False sense of well-being, with this one minute you are find and the next depression sets in.

Loss of appetite

Sometimes Blurred Vision; Sometimes Change in Vision with burning, dry, or itching eyes; impaired vision, see double or things out of the corner of your eyes that aren’t there.

Lack or loss of strength (Not wanting to do anything for no apparent reason)

Dryness of the mouth or throat due to increased thirst, which no products to keep the mouth moist were out yet and my teeth got ruined, very damaged to the point I lost 2 in the back.

Increased sensitivity to pain causing increased sensitivity to touch, I couldn’t allow anyone to touch me it hurt so badly.

Trouble sleeping because it would make me stay up 24 hours or more or once you lay down and aren’t moving anymore you get restlessness of the legs, twitching and legs jump or jerk sometime so hard it hurts you hip.  

Restlessness when you are awake you can’t seem to sit down for example on your computer.  Within say 15 minute you don’t want to do this or that.

My combination of medicine is Vicodin 7.5/325 MG/120 tablets, 3 times a day; Lyric 50 MG, 3 times a day and since this replaced Neurotin I have had no side effects anymore; I get 120 tablets of Xanax 0.5 MG to calm my nerves and take it 3 times a day and use to 4 pill for bed time to stop the restlessness of the legs… picture you foot falling asleep and it
wakes up and hurts like a mother and calms down, but I was for 17 years at the wake up stage and it never calmed down.

When I got Fibromyalgia in February, my doctor prescript it low to high gradually because that is one of the medications you have to slowly up the MG.  He prescribed my Cymbalta starting at 30 MG for 1 month and the next refill was 60 MG one pill a day.  In April 2015 he changed it to 60 MG in the morning and 30 MG in the evening, 1 pill a day.

Once I started taking Cymbalta my tingling, Pins & Needles and numbness, felt like it was on fire, and humming of the nerves in my right foot “Woke UP” for the first time in 17 years.  I admit due to the excruciating pain, each dosage had me bedridden for about a week and a half each MG.  Then one day I got up to get something to drink and realized I could stand on my feet without pain and I could actually feel them.

So in April I asked my doctor if my feet are regenerating again (it does that off and on) or was the Cymbalta masking the pain and he didn’t know.  But the fact is I can feel my feet for the first time in 17 years.  Since it has been 17 years I have to learn how to walk all over again without the pain but I do have a serious balance/tipping problem right now, worst than before until I learn to walk correctly again.  

I am also more active than I have ever been in these last 17 years with the pain lessened.  Before when the doctor ask what is your pain level is and I would say good day 15 bad days 20.  It is around 10-12 now and I hope it will go down more once my body adjusts to the Cymbalta.

10 years ago I ask my Pain Management I want off all my medications and at that time he said “did you ever hear of the saying pain can kill you, well you type of pain will if you stop all your medications”.  So my goal is to get off all of them if at or possible, which I’ve been doing the last 17 years.
If you’re looking for Pain Managements, they will give you a series of 3 shots within the months of the year.  The first doctor I went to sent me over the edge causing my first surgery because I think he hit the nerve.  When I change to a new doctor, the best thing is they have like an x-ray machine so they can put the shot in the proper area and it was great.  But I can no longer afford them and wish I could since they worked so well.  Sometime I ended up with only 2 series of shots, not needing the 3.

FYI… if it is just muscle pain, you will be able to do landline exercises at a Physical Therapy place but if it is muscles and nerves look for a doctor run Aqua Therapy.  They first stretch you out then they put you in a tank with a treadmill and fill it up with water.  The water takes the pressure of the muscle pressing on the nerve.  Again I wish to be able to do this instead of the shots.  

But again I cannot afford it.  I walk with a cane and they were able to get me to stop using it but I’m back on it due to my balance problem.  It I had to choose between the shots and Aqua Therapy, I’d go back to Aqua Therapy because it is so amazing and helps immensely.  For the past 17 years I’ve been looking for Rental Assistant but they have such a long list its closed so I cannot even still submit an application.  

But luckily by accident I found a different site and disabled people go to the top of the list. If I can get enough to pay my rent and all my bills and still have enough leftover I’m going back to Aqua Therapy so eventually I can weed myself off all my medication.

Karen- The two people you're writing to haven't been here in 8 years.  

You can begin your own thread by going to the top and clicking on "post a question".