Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vicodin Withdrawal- Day1

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Vicodin Withdrawal- Day1

I have been taking from 6-7 7/750's a day for the past few months now.  I ran out yesterday and now am feeling the "usual" symptoms.  Muscle aches seem to be the worst.  Lucky for me I have a RX of valium, that helps a little.  I have also been takin midrin, which helps the headaches.

I always thought this **** would never happen to me, and now it has.  I find myself crying over nothing, stretching my legs out constantly (that's where it aches the most) and yawning incessantly.

Anywho, I just wondered if there is any other means besides medication that could help these symptoms.  I find myself drinking beer tonight just to numb the aches and confusion I've been having.

I don't want to resort to these methods cause I fear it will help in the long run.  any holistic remedies or tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I just kicked coke a few months ago, and It took about two weeks to curb the cravings.  Is that like a standard for dopamine boosters?
Look up the Thomas Recipe on this site... it is all herbal remedies for the WD symptoms.. also Hylands Restful Legs helps alot with the RLS.. the valium should help alot too.. Lots of water or gatorade.. bananas and cheese help the tummy troubles as well as Immodium.. You are gonna have 0% energy.. I find Emergen-Cee powder drink helps alot its full of B-12..

welcome to the site.. you can find alot of support here.. post often and let us know your progress..
I'm on day 8 c/t from hydro (with no other medication help ... quit everything!). Couple of things have helped me a bunch:

- Hot baths for the achy legs/arms (on day 2 I took a bath every 2 hours)
- Don't stay down ... get up and take walks outside. Stinks at first but helps get your blood going
- Preparation H after using the bathroom helps
- Drink a lot of water and eat even if you have to force yourself and start with jello
- I listened to music a lot

Hope these ideas help! Keep going!
JahOne, hiyas
good for you ,I found the heating pad to be a life saver . I put it on my legs .Getting out and walking as soon as you can helps as well . keep up the good work post as often as ya need .
Avis
Hi i'm 20 yr old female and I've been using Vicodin for a year now.It was prescribed to me after a car accident involving a drunk driver left me almost paralyzed. I've decided to take myself off.

Ok im on day one, I've been preparing for this for about a week now because i knew my supply of vicodin was running low. I could go out and get another doctor to give me a script but that will just prolong this need to stop. I'm stopping. It hurts, but it needs to be done. I will be doing it from home with the support of my family and friends. I've been without my medication before and remember the HELL it caused, the feeling that left me rather wanting to be dead. God help me this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done.

Any tips to help with the pain?
I am on day 3 of quitting a pretty bad vicodin/Norco habit.  I have been taking about 15-25 a day and more if I had them for the past year, but have been taking them for the past 9 years total.  I just knew everytime I would see another doctor (and I saw a lot of them) I was prolonging what I knew I had to do which was quit.  I had a pretty embaressing moment at at pharmacy last week and that is what kick started all of this.  I am so sick of sneaking around, lying to doctors and my husband ( who thinks I quit these about 4 months ago) and using money on doctors and meds.  It is a horrible life to live and I have reached my limit.  I feel pretty good today, I'm not sure why.  Reading all of these postings have really lifted my spirits.  I do agree that getting out of your house is one way to combat some withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, otherwise you just sit and look at the clock, waiting for the day to be over.  I know I'm only on day 3 but I feel like this is my time, finally and with help from this forum, I know I can make it last.
I'm glad I found this forum. I feel a lot better knowing that others are suffering from similar problems as me.

I was taking about 8-20 Vicodin ES a day for about two years. All that Acetaminophen was destroying my digestive system and my relationships with family and my g/f. I was also taking a ton of other **** including Xanax, Valium, Ativan, all different strengths of hydrocodone/apap., Adderall (adderrall), Concerta, whatever I could get. I decided to stop everything. I was on the third week of withdrawl (withdrawal), had three siezures do to head trauma in a car accident.

I started taking Norco a month after the hospital. I've been taking around 15-18 Norco tabs a day for the past year and a half. I loved the feeling, My body didn't feel as bad as before but depression set in and the rest of the un wanted effects, you all know the story I think. Anyways, I was a pharmacy Tech., so I had access to everything. I'm so ashamed of it, and I let all my co-workers down, as they found out and I just got terminated from there a few days ago. Now that I am forced to stop taking everything I am so excited to feel what it was like to be normal again. I can't remember what it was like before.I feel like trash now but I can feel it getting a tiny bit better each day. Hang in there, it will pass before you know it :)

Sorry to high-jack your thread JahOne. All of the suggestions everyone has made are great suggestions to try! I personally have also been listening to a lot of music though with the depression, if you feel strong emotions like me, be careful and try to force yourself to listen to happy music.

Like I said, I was a Pharmacy Tech. for almost 4 years so if I can help anyone out with any information, I'll be glad to try my best :)
By the way, you can use BENADRYL to help you go to sleep at night if you are having trouble. Dyphenhydramine hydrochloride can be used as a sleep aid even if you aren't having allergy issues. You can take 1 capsule of the over the counter generic Benadryl before you go to bed. If 1 doesn't do the trick, take 2 capsules instead. Don't take anymore than 50 mg in an 8 hour period though. Hope that helps someone.
good luck to all those going through kicking the habit, you will feel like you are going to die but if you make it it will also be a good reminder to never get hooked again. And remember your not the only one it hurts.

Laura
There is something that can make you feel a whole lot better. It is called  "Rhodiola rosea" It will restore your natural happiness and natural pain releivers in short. Look It up if you like. It saved me. Night and day difference. The brand I bought from the health food store was called rhodola force 300. You could most likely use other brands. Do not take it with any  antidepressents. Also take in the morning when you first wake up on an empty stomach. If you take it in the evening you will not be able to sleep. Take 300 mg or less. Its been a miracle for me.  Hope u try it it worked for me.

ken
What great motivation i got from all your nice word im about 2 hrs off for about 1yr i was taking 8 to 10 hp a day maybe more i feel very bad but all your words gave me a kick i have very bad shoulder pain thats how it started and my shoulder is still hurting so thats why its even more hard for me i think if i didnt have shoulder pain it would be easyer other then this site my motivation is my little girl and wife i wanna live to see my little girl grow up and have babies herself :) i hope i do and i hope i can kick this nasty habit :( godbless everyone and good luck!
take vitamins. drink water or gatorade. ammodium AD. BENADRYL. TRAZADONE. CLONIDINE. EAT FRUIT.AS BANNNA. MOTRION FOR PAIN. GOT TO REHAB IF U CAN GET REST. NO NO STRESS. JUST AN OPINION.
this post has been very helpful, thanks. I am trying to get off Vicodin and its AWFUL.
I am a mom of 3 boys and I have been taking vicodin since I was 15.  My mom actually got me started on it.  At first it was a few a day.  Now 15 years later I average 20 a day of the norco or the geen or blue watsons whatever I can get.  I really want to quit I have tried a few times but the pain gets to be to much unfortunatley I work a 40 hour a week job and the boys dont understand when mommy doesn't feel good.  I really want to quit but I know Im going to need help with my boys.  No one knows my issues and i have no one to help me out with this any ideas...
I've been trying to quit vicodin, percocet, fentanyl, and all that for awhile, but I havent been dedicated to it until now. The problem is I live with my parents and they both take it the same way I do, and well, I'm not very good with temptation. I've been taking 15-25 a day, I've been on it for the past three years, and it's getting worse. I have a friend that is a really big drug addict, and he was ever astonished by how many I've been taking. I'm only 21, and am hoping I can kick this. Kinda scary, I haven't been sober from drugs of any kind since I was 14, so hopefully I can make it through this! My boyfriend has my back, but I'm wondering....is that really enough?
I only just joined this forum like a minute ago because I saw this topic. I have only just recently admitted to myself that I have a vicodin problem. my mother got me started too--she lent me some when I was having bad cramps during my period. I only took them for my period at first, then during high school when I was getting more depressed I got more serious about taking them. I went from one a night to about six,  maybe seven a day. I've only admitted to taking four a day to my mother. Since she used to be a drug addict, she knows how to deal with it and will help me through this...still, being only 20 I cant help but being terrified.
I have been w/a pain management doctor and only took my prescribed amount of vicodin 2 to 3 a day. Someone at work went in my purse and after about three days had taken almost all of my pills. I cant refill my prescription until the 11th. I called my doctors office and they have not called me back! Im starting to not feel well any suggestings?
I have been using 10-15 vicodin a day for 6  months straight, I will use them till they are gone then try to stop, being uncomfortable  iis not working so I go and get more from friends, what can I use for the first few days of getting off it? After my first day of going though withdraw and feeling so tired, Ihen I am OKe. Can I use Flurazepam  to help me relax and sleep./
I need some help with ideas on home remedies to help me get through the first two days of not taking vicodin, I am out now and want to not take it any more, I know if I can get through the weekend, I will be back to my normal self. Can anyone tell me what I can take to help get thought this? I have done this before and I slept all weekend. Can I take Flurazepam to help relax? I don't have insurance and can't talk to anyone about this.Please let me know asap, dont want to find more and start the process all over again..
I have beeb taking Vicodin for over 3 years now (15-20 per day), i've been wanting to quit for about a  month. Today is my second day with no meds and i feel horrible. What ***** for me is that i have no support, my family who started me on it only makes it harder for me by breaking my spirits, telling me i will never do it....it only makes want to take more... i need a support system that will benefit my sobriety!!!
Hi.  Today I had a very embarassing moment at the Pharmacy.  Never had a moment like this before but it was awful.  I am regular middle class girl with a Vicodin addiction.  I've had it under control for about two years now after finding a Dr. who gave me a large number of pills a month for a back injury 10 years ago.  Right now I am taking about 6-7 pills a day and I've been taking this for about 2 years.  Well my Dr. is cutting me off.  Just found out today.  Kinda s***ty how he did it but oh well I needed to stop.  I'm super scared.  I am a single mother to a two year old boy and I don't know how I will get through this.  How do I withdrawal AND be a mother to an over active toddler?
Hello all,

I am a father to a 3 year old beautiful little girl and have a great wife as well. I first started off taking anything with Hydrocodone in it (vicodin, norco, etc) and I was taking it leasurely, I love the euphoria. 7.5's were doing the job for awhile. About 7-8 a day. Well I hurt my back golfing recently and hyrniated a disk that in turn pinched my siatic (sciatic) nerve, so I have been in a lot of pain. When I told my doctor that 7.5's were not doing the trick he gave me a few hundred 10's. I am up to about 10-12 of these a day now and my final script is running low. I know I am going to need to stop before I go too far. I have about 30 pills (10's) left so I think I may have enough to wein myself off. Does anyone have a good method for doing this, I would like to start tomorrow if possible so that I do not eat these 30 and have to go cold turkey. I am scared to death of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms as I work 10 hours a day at a desk as well. Any suggestons on how to wein myself off would be very apprieciated. I have to do this for my wife and child and myself for that matter. Thanks again for any feedback provided.
Had a herniated disc, L4-5 pressing on the sciatic nerve causing severe pain down right leg.... 2nd herniated disc in 5 years, not to mention a bulging C5-6 last summer. The 1st time around, I was on Davocet for about 2 1/2 months with muscle relaxers while they dilly-dallied around doing all those things like steroid therapy, pain meds, muscle relaxers, Physical Therapy.  Finally, aftter that, my leg started going numb, so they decided that they would finally do an MRI and the neurosurgeon put me on Vicodin 5 mg/650 for the week up to my surgery and after.  I ended up going cold turkey after nightmares were keeping me awake.  Definitely NOT the way to go.... but at least I hadn't been on the really hard stuff for too long that time.  
Last summer, with the bulging disc, I was misdiagnosed with a shoulder problem, which turned out to be the bulging disc. What saved this from going from bad to worse is that I was sent to an Orthopod for the shoulder who xrayed and found the bulging disc.  I then went to the Pain Managememt Institute who injected steroids directly into the bulging disc thereby decreasing pain and the need for narcotics, and Physical therapy helped in decompressing the neck and shrinking the disc.
This past January, started getting some of the same symptoms that led up to my 1st herniated disc (which was L5-S! also pressing on the sciatic nerve... left side).  Went to doc, steroids, muscle relaxers and Vicodin 5 mg prescribed.  In Feb had same symptoms, so in addtion to the other, physical therapy was prescibed and they were treating my leg pain as though it were bursitis due to the previous back injury.  Ended that in May, feeling only slightly better, then felt the pop in my back... by now, I have been on muscle relaxers, Vicodin etc for 4 1/2 months, but at least they are finally ordering an MRI to diagnose what I could have told them was happening back in February.  Sure enough.... herniated disc, pressing not only on the sciatic nerve, but the spinal chord.  Trip back to neurosurgeon who prescribed me Dilaudid po 1 mg 1-2 q 4 -6 hours.  Needless to say, by this point I was in severe pain, and watching the clock for the next dose.  I immediately didn't like the dilaudid, but what else were there to do?  So, as of 2 days ago I had been on Dilaudid for little over 2 weeks... shouldn't be an issue to just stop taking in because I haven't been on it for long, right?  WRONG!!!  So, I decided to backtrack.  I had detoxed without too much effort last summer from Vicodin, so I substituted 7.5 mgf q 4-5 hrs for the dilaudid dose... seemed to help the anxiety, crying and depression, but not so much the sweats and chills....  I have been trying to decrease the dosage of Vicodin and am now down to about 3.75 mg every 4-5 hours, but that last hour is total hell.Tonight I have been researching homeopathic ways to decrease the symptoms of withdrawl (withdrawal), because I don't have pain, just achiness, which Tylenol or Aleve helps.  Warm showers are also good.  I have made a list of stuff for my husband to get tomorrow from the health food store, and am sitting here drinking Camomille tea and just took Vit C and Melatonin to hopefully sleep a few hours.  I've had about a total of 7 hours sleep over that past 4 nights and look like a ghost.
My biggest issue is not with the doctors, but with all of the hoops that the insurance makes them jump through to get a proper diagnosis so a  patient can be treated before he/she has to resort to addicting medications!
Hi all!
All of your postings are super inspiring. I was really starting to feel down...but now I feel comforted by the unity and advice  here. I've was addicted to vicodin/norco for about a year and some months, sadly too I'm a nurse and should know better. I'm now on day 4 of detox.  I didn't quit cold turkey I weaned my self. I went from taking 6-8 vic 5/500mg down to one vic and a half and so on and so. This method works better...you won't experience half the withdrawal symptoms you do if you go cold turkey. I've been taking Xanax 25mg but half maybe once or twice a day. Taking vit. B blends and hot hot showers also helps with the fatigue and restlessness. The worse part for me though
Is more mental...its a battle. I know it has to be done because its just gonna get worse if I don't put an end to it. To those of you going through the same...hope is not lost! I'll be praying for us all! We can do this!
I have been taking Vics, hydro, percs, ect for about one and a half years. I take basically as many as i can get, but between 7-15 pills a day. Tomorrow i am starting my process of trying to wean my myself off. But im scared and i dont know if i can do it by my self. :( Please help! Any advice?
I'm on a 10 yr battle  an up to 50 norcos a day an I'm done . Just looking for easiest way out ...... I've lost alot it's just not worth it . Not to thread jack either but try a clinic that's what I'm doing but no methadone try suboxone
I am on day 2. Ive been taking vics 500,750,1000, really anything i can get in my nose for about 6 months. Today i feel like running my face through a window. I work first shift and cant get to sleep till about a hour before i got to go to work. My body aches so bad. Im so uncombfortable at night to the touch. My girlfriend thinks im going crazy. I get so aggraviated at night. I go take numerous hot hot i mean hot showers. Im just hoping this pain goes. I have a great job and cant afford to loose it. I feel so drained and just want to drink myself to sleep. Last night i drank a pint and a half of tequlia just to feel normal. I feel like im in a hazey painful dream. Hope i can get out of this hell im in.
Tray,

would recommend starting your own thread to post your questions and concerns regarding withdrawal.  It may get overlooked otherwise.  Just go to the top of your screen and hit post a question, and then you can copy and paste what you just wrote on this thread.  
Get help, trying to do this in secret will only add more stress & and then if your like me I gave in to taking a few to deal with the withdrawal systems. Eventually I was hooked again.  You will be surprised at how many close family or friends will understand & support you through this. Today I still take Vicodin for pain. Yet if I'm real a recent divorce after 30 years of marriage because I walked away from a husband who choose to do hard core drug's may have saved my life but I know the difference betwwen real pain & emotional pain. Talking to a trusted therapist at least is helping me see why I think I want to not feel. I will get off these 100%, I can see myself free. you can do it. Don't give up.  
please please help i got hooked on norco  in 2009 last year doctor added tramadol so as of thursday i was taking 2 norco aday and 1 tramadol i stopped cold turkey 5 days ago and i feel like i am losing my mind along without any sleep how long does this hell last i am going against the doctors reccomendations because they want to add cymbalta into the mixture
Okay so I took Vicodin for 4 days straight & on the 4th day I took 2 due to back pain. I only take them for back pain. The last time I used was a month ago & it was one hydrocodone. Before that it had been like 2 months or so. I am now on day 3 of withdrawals. I've been drinking plenty of water & trying to eat. I don't have diarrhea or vomiting but I have extreme chills, body aches, fever, headaches & weakness. I told my family I was sick with the flu but I also have a 2 & a half year old daughter to take care of. Is there anything I can do to speed up this process??
I almost seem guilty here. I take maybe 1 to 2 pills a day just for the high feeling. However I have been doing this for a almost a year. I have panic attacks if I have to go without. I know I need to stop. My sex drive is bill to none. My work is suffering because I can't kill the scatter brained effect the pills have on me. I see soooo many people taking more than I do and almost feel stupid being on here. However I need help. I get the loose stools and stomach cramps when I go too long without taking them. The headaches are SEVERE. I suffer from 3 buldging disks in my back as well as cluster headaches. Does anyone have ideas for helping someone like myself?