Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vicodin and pregnancy

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Vicodin and pregnancy

Could anybody tell me if my baby and I are in trouble? I was sober off everything during the first 3 months of pregnancy. Lately, I have been abusing 1000 mg vicodin and I take about 3 a day. I am in pain, but it has turned into recreational and possibly physical addiction. I also take an occasional xanax as well. Have I hurt any aspect of the baby's development. I feel like I hate myself and I need help. I'm also on 60 mg of prozac a day, which the doctor told me was ok, and he monitors my meds.He also said that they do perscribe vicodin to pregnant women, which is what gave me the green light to take it, but I'm so dissappointed in myself that I have gone overboard.
Wendy
yea, i have heard that doctors say vicodin does not hurt the baby. but personally i do not trust a thing those idiots say anymore. it is not their fault, our medical proffession is just not getting educated very well. and prozac. how does that mix with the hormonal changes through pregnancy? you should keep that in mind if you should start to experience some unusual feelings or moods.

that is alot of drugs to be taking while pregnant. you should probably knock it off. if you think you are pysically addicted, than its probably not a good idea to stop all of a sudden. tapper it down instead.

i understand that you are dissappointed in yourself, but beating yourself up will do no good. you can only look ahead now and try to find out the best things to do for your baby and you.
Hi honey!! Please calm down and I think you'll be okay... just try to tapper down with the vicoden,  and do just a maintainence amount with them.  These drugs are serious stuff.  My dil took prozac during her pregnancy and her baby was okay.  I would be afraid of too much vicoden tho.  I know what the dr. says and I also know the pregnancy is a worry but I would research everything I could about opiates during pregnancy to find my own answers.  Please just try to go light on the vic.  NO zanax.

Hugs

Ella
Are you saying that your doctor has prescribed you the vicodin and the xanax too? If you are abusing these meds,whether they are prescribed to you by the doctor or not,then yes you and your baby could be in trouble.You need to be totally honest with your doctor about the abuse and 'possible' addiction for your babys health as well as your own.None of us here are doctors,more importantly we are not YOUR doctor.We are all here to help and support you but you need to tell your doctor the truth ASAP.Your baby's well being depends on it.Keep posting...All the best...Kim