Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?
I am a 40 yr old male and I have been taking 2-4 Vicodin a day for the past three years. A medical doctor prescribed it for me after it was discovered I suffered bone degeneration in my lower 2 disk vertebrea. At the time I thought little of taking a prescription painkiller. Now after my first 6 days of no longer taking Vicodin I am realizing how powerful of a substance it actually is. I'm having withdrawal symptoms I didn't expect. Light headedness, the runs, blood pressure going up, and general fatigue. Lots of fatigue. And some irritability. I am hoping that these symptoms begin to decrease soon. Well, they have gotten better than it was in the first 2 days. I am still wondering how long I can expect to have these side effects of withdrawal?
Urgent!  Need Help with stomach cramps.  I am 16 days clean from diliaud, hydrochodone 10/500 and other prescription opiates.  I'm still having serious stomach cramps.  I had to quit cold turkey.  Have tried all the usuall stuff kaopectate, immodium, pepto bismal but the stomach cramps persist.  Could this still be part of the withdrawal?

Any suggestion appreciated.
Thank you for your reply.  Finally I had to give up on the Doctors and quick cold turkey with the Thomas Receipe.  All the DR's were doing is pesccriing more drugs and I wanted off.  I'm now 16 days clean but for some reason my stomach cramps are persisting with diaareha.  Could this still be a part of the withdrawal?

And want to mention NO RELAPSE opiates are poison.  I'd rather take rat poison and die quickly rather than the slow death of opiates I was facng.  Most things in my life are better now except the persistent stomach cramps.

Thanks again for replying.
Clean 16 Days.

I'm 62 year old male who broke my hip and femur by falling down on the cement.  Severe fractures.  Went to the hospital by ambulance and thats when my opiate dependency began.  The paramedice filled me up with  high doses of Fentanyl.  I went into the hospital on a Friday night and they didn't operate on me until Tuesday.  During that time I remained on very high doses of  Fentanyl and they added Dilaudid to the mix.  After the surgery I was layed up in the hospital for about 9 weeks still getting large doses of Fentanyl and Dilaudid.  Looking back I don't remember much except waking up scared and not knowing where I was.

Finally I was released from the hospital and was given Dilaudid to take home with me and was on it at about 24 - 28 mg per day for 3 months.  I told my surgeon that this was getting to be a problem so he changed me to hydrocode 10/500's.  1 every 6 hours.  Well I took 2-3 every four hours not for pain but for relief from the Dilaudid feeling.  This continued until my doctor tried to reduce me to 5/500's Vicoden.  Well that was a big disaster I couldn't survive on that.  I called him and he prescribed more 10/500's this time 2 every four hours.

I realized that this just wasn't working and that I was completely dependent.  They didn't make me feel high exactly they just made me feel somewhat normal.

Then I went to my GP and she prescribed more opiates with reduced dose.  This just didn't work either.  So ok long story short I finally made up my mind that I had to get off of this poison no matter how bad the pain in the hip.

So I used the Thomas Receipe.  I did have problems with the Valium withdrawal since I took 90 mg a day for 5 days then quit.  I think I'm still coming off of that but clean for 16 days also from that..

Well I'm drug free now for 16 days and I wish I would say it feels wonderfull but it doesn't.  I get confused with blurred vision and stomach cramps persist and I'm taking massive does of Pepto Bismal, Kaopectate and Immodium D and the diaahrea persists.  Also, I can't focus and I really need to as I'm the leading engineer for a company here in the states.  Also sleep still is a really big problem for me.  I just can't sleep.  In addition my legs hurt all the time - I take Potassium and that helps a little bit.

When I first started this imposed dependency quiting journey I wanted someone to do it for me, make it easy, feel no pain, but soon realized that it was up to me and me only.  Finding the list helped me to realize that I wasn't alone, but do others go this long with symptoms persisting?  How long could this madness go on.

I feel for everyone on this list who has to bear the pain and suffering it takes to get off of this stuff.  I've read all the stories and my heart really goes out to all, but if I can quit anyone can quit as I was as dependent as they come and I have a feeling the worst is really not over yet and I'm 16 days clean.  When will things get better?  When will I be able to think straight again and focus as I need to?  When will I finally sleep again?
Why don't I feel better after 16 days of being clean?  Please help me understand if you can.

Thank you for all your replys during my crisis

"My the good lord be with you down every road you roam"
Hey Michael.
Go see a doc to make sure everything is ok w your stomach. Hydrocodone can severely eat up the stomach lining. If they say everything is okay, then it is still the withdrawals. It will pass. But you don't want to be dousing your body with all kinds of stomach meds if something else is wrong- could make it worse. Go to the ER or your doc and tell them EVERYTHING about the withdrawals, etc. Ask them to make sure your stomach and GI system is okay. Do not accept any more medications! (unless there is something wrong with your stomach). It is going to be fine; just make sure you see a doc ASAP. Further, yes; the withdrawals can last a long time, especially considering your age. As I wrote in my above post, your age is a big factor. Those neurons have to change back to their normal firing.
Good luck to you! Stay strong
thanks to all for your words of wisdom and encouragement, i think what really helps me the most is knowing im not alone in this,as everyone here knows how lonely an opiate addiction can make you feel and become i haven't yet started my path to a better me, however visiting this site has given me the strength,courage and confidence to start!!!            
go to  www.klushskin.com get their pro botics that will help. and it is all natural. good luck :)
Hope you get off the pills soon.  God I know the feeling.  I'm reading these comments as most people got addicted because of true pain they were in.  I've been an addict ever since I tried cocaine and stopped that cold turkey no problem.  These pills are the devil no doubt.  Being 40 making great money and two beautiful boys I wanted to stop.  So I went to a detox dr. Here in so cal that is amazing.    Suboxone, lyrica, and chlonadine for blood pressure.  Wow.....I got right through it.   No withdrawal symptoms as I experienced cold turkey......those three drugs will get everyone through this.  
I don't know where you live but highly suggest seeing a detox doctor.  There is a very very good one in so cal...doctor Walter Thomas.  For those in need I suggest seeing him if in California.     You need to go see a detox pain med doctor and take lyrica which is for pain but not an opiate.    Good luck.
Thank you so much for your breakdown of how cold turkey recovery goes. Ive been on vicodin for the last 6 years and its consuming my life. All I think about is getting the drug by any which means. I'm on day 3 and am having depression and mood swings and so tired I can hardly walk. Try to take long walks at night to feel better but toss and turn all night and the weirdest dreams of my life. sweats come and go and I ache all over due to arthritis which is what got me started. I'm going to kick this **** out of my life once and for all. The other night at the food market I nearly jumped the counter to grab a bottle of them! WTF! Jail isn't the answer for treatment I just have to tough it out. Thanks again for the advice its very reassuring.
I've been taking vicodin n soma for the last 10yrs now...been getting scripts from Dr n anyway possible to feed my addiction ...I would take up to 10 of each everyday ....I've been wanting to quit so bad and told my self for the last cple years I want off of it but I guess I could always get my hands on some n I always had an excuse why I always need it in my life...but recently I got in trouble with the law concerning it...maybe it's a blessing in disguise cuz it gave me a reason now to have to quit ....been sober now going on 3 days...I have to say today was my worse i hope it gets better tomorrow ...pls if anyone have any advice I would love to hear it I just need to no I'm not alone....thanks
I have been addicted to Vicodin for over 5 years. I am a 27 yr old female. It started due to three surgeries and knee injuries so close together that I was prescribed pain killers for over a year. Since then I have been buying them at street cost and finding any form of hookup I could. Being a bartender they are never too far away. But I'm about to graduate and be a nurse! I can't keep doing this to myself, the people I love or my body. I have quit twice cold turkey. I found ibuprofen, alcohol, NyQuil and hot bath soaks to help but will agree no matter what it is absolute hell. These pills have affected my relationships terribly and I want to go back to being me. I am stronger than letting a stupid blue pill control me and my life. I have 12 pills left and after that... Here we go! Round 3 and I'm gonna make this one my last!!!  Any support would be greatly appreciated as I will support all of you as well! We are stronger than this! God bless
Hi and welcome..First I want to say congratulations on wanting to take your life back! This disease is tough but beatable!! I just want to point out that this is a VERY old thread so you should post on a new thread of your own so you can get support and advice for you. Just scroll to the top of the page where it says "post a question" and there ya go!

COngrats again and welcome!
I take vicodin everyday. been taking it since i was 16 and now im 28. I take it because i have sicklecell but i find myself taking 6 to 8 pills a day sometimes 10 to get me thru my day. im at the point where i feel like i need them to have a productive day. i take 2 in the morning i take about 4 within my eight hour work day. then i take 2 more when i get home and sometimes 2 before i go to bed.i have been trying to cleanse myself of violin. I've asked doctors for help but they just say with your sicklecell you have to take it. important taking to many and really need help. i never thought i was a addict out i am. i have been within vicodin for 2 days. the pain is terrible and all im thinking about is getting more pills. what should i do if anything to kick this addiction even with a blood disorder.
I had been on high dose vicoden for 7 months...took every four hrs every day....for severe back problems that need surgery to fix but I've done it once and the pain got worse so not really wanting to do again....trying PT and of course the meds....now I'm pregnant so my doctor stopped them for now....it was bad for two weeks I cold turkeyed it....and now almost 4 weeks later I'm still having trouble breathing...many tests run that show nothing....can this be a side affect? Still severe irritable leg symptoms which may have to do with pain in the back and or all the problems with my spine I'm assuming
I take 6 - 8 10/500 a day. Been taking for about 4 yrs. Is this a problem?
You got to walk during the withdraws so your body thinks the pain is from the exercise and not the pills.  This will help your mind convince your bodythat you are ok.
You have to get out and walk, so your body thinks it is the exersize that is making you soar.  It will help your mind as well.
hi pals. I 've iust had to kick codeine . Addicted fot 20 years. I tapered starting feb
By march I reached zero ..
Its april  and I feel good. Its not completely over .
My job is physical.  I did not stop working! No one ever noticed .

Youtube's
Aaroncohen
helped me a whole bunch.
look him up.

Its tough for long termers.
It might be 4 days of unpleasantness for some.
I quit cold turkey 15 years ago.
It took more than 2 month to feel normal.
I'm addicted to norco after taking it for 5 years for migraines.  Now I want to quit.  I stopped cold turkey 2 weeks ago with no symptoms, but now they are starting.  Chills, Hot flashes, headache, nausea, vomiitng, etc.  Can I do this alone?  Help.  How long will this last?
I went thru the same thing but took for over 30 years was taking 120 10s a day went to ocs went to the boy at the end I tried the Methadone clinic was a big mistake they where about the money not helping you they said it would only take 30-90 days 4 years later I walked out and still was on 120mg so i went back to what I was doing later I tried Suboxone at the end but I was on them for over 2- years its like taking a kid to a candy store its hard to quit I started cuting  myself down till I was only taking a 1/4 strip then I went cold turkey I know it is hard and you got to think you want to quit I wished I had done it 20 years ago I have missed so much of life and things I could have done with my son kids grow up so fast and you will miss a lot. I know it is hard and keep your head up try to cut your self down and use soboxone as last thing now I'm older I have hart Problems & stomach problems cause of the drug use and cut my life down by a 1/3 just keep on mind you are doing this for your kids and this will help to keep you strong life is so much better sober you have not been on this road to long time to find the exit from this drug highway and enjoy life.
Hello everyone!  

Just wanted to share my story with everyone in hopes it helps anyone that needs some encouragement to quit.  I started out smoking marijuana when I was 16 years old.  Everyone says "It's a gateway drug!"... I argued against it over and over.... Unfortunately I was wrong.  After smoking marijuana for a few years, I was opened up to more drugs from my inner circle of friends (who also smoked marijuana) or the drug dealers I was getting the marijuana from.  Soon I started experimenting with cocaine, mushrooms, ecstasy any type of different "BUZZ" I could get.  By the time I was 22 I had tried those other drugs and while I was at my job one day (Very large Restaurant... Lots of people... Lots of partying.... Lots of illegal drug transactions) someone offered me a vicodin.  I initially thought that vicodin wasn't going to do anything for me because it was a pain reliever.. I was in no pain.  BUT Being the curious young man that I was and wanted to search for more "buzzes" I could get, I tried 1 vicodin while I was working.  Work went by extremely fast.  I found myself working harder and having more fun at work than ever before... So of course, I kept taking 1 vicodin a day.  This was back in 2008.  I continued to buy 10 (500/7.5) vicodin a week, taking 2 on the weekends each day and 1 throughout the week.  In 2009 that number increased to buying 20 vicodin a week (eating 1or2 vicodin at work and now eating 1or2 vicodin at home).  While this is happening, I'm thinking to myself "I'm not addicted, I can stop at any time if I want.".  So I kept going..  I bought more vicodin and more vicodin.  Remember I was never in real pain so I am spending $3.00 (sometimes $4.00 depending on how desperate I was for the buzz) on the "street".  Gradually taking the vicodin turns into something that I'm depending on in order to survive my week.  And this whole time I'm still thinking.... "I can quit at any time, I'm not addicted." Fast forward to November 2011... I now just received the greatest blessing, my daughter was born.  While I was at the hospital during her birth, I ate somewhere between 6-8 NORCO vicodin (325/10) and this is my normal rate now.  Over the past 4 years of taking vicodin, my dosage went from taking 1 day.... to 6-8 a day.  Also during this time, I received promotions within the restaurant.  I moved from a fry cook in 2008 to a Kitchen Supervisor, to a Kitchen Manager, to the Full-Time Manager on Duty.  During my entire time at work I was taking vicodin.  They made me feel like I was doing a better job.  I was working my *** off, working long shifts, being very productive and the best part to me was.... Nobody knew I was "high" off of vicodin.... the intense BUZZ inside and showing nothing in the outside.  So my daughter was born.... November 23rd, 2011.  I knew I had to stop this vicodin thing because I would need the money to support my fiance and my daughter.  I got smacked with reality as soon as I thought I was going to quit.... I found myself buying more.... and more.... and more vicodin.  Even though I told myself every night "I'm going to cut back tomorrow and only eat 6 or 7 (in 2012 I was now up to 10 a day)".  Some days I would wake up and stick to the promise I made to myself.  It made me feel good knowing I was working downward to quitting.  Next thing you know.... My fiance and I are fighting (pop 2 more vicodin) My car breaks down (pop 2 more vicodin) My daughter screaming and yelling for hours on end (pop 2 more vicodin) Basically ANYTHING that made my mood go from HAPPY to IRRATATED---I would eat vicodin.  Fast forward again to 2013 present day.  I am 8 days off of my vicodin addiction of 5 years.  I eventually went from eating 1 vicodin a day to 10/15 a day. (This equals out to about $30-$45/day for my buzz.... Eating 7 days a week--$210-$250/week and totally $900-$1000/month) vicodin a day.  For the past 6 months I have been telling myself I'm seriously going to quit... I just NEED to quit.  My health, my family, my money and my FUTURE depended on it.  I found myself praying to God at night asking for help... asking for guidance.... asking why I cannot quit?  The response that always came from within myself was "It is your own decision to quit".  I asked for a sign, guidance, anything to help me stop!  After my daughter was born, I was fortunate enough to land a 8-5 job working for an oil company in the Shipping and Receiving Department.  I was making double the money I was from working at the Restaurant... which is how I could afford to feed my habit and by this time I met enough "street" connections that I didn't need anyone at the Retaurant to help feed my addiction, I could do it all by myself.  This meant driving to get the illegal drugs, risk of going to jail, facing HUGE fines, lawyer fees etc. etc.  I was fortunate enough to get out and never get caught up with the law, but these consequences were always in the back of my mind "What if I go to jail?  How will my fiance and my daughter survive? What if I lose my job? What if I get drug tested? THE MOST IMPORTANT THOUGHT I HAD DURING THIS TIME OF STRUGGLE:::: "What if I stay addicted to vicodin, my daughter is old enough to realize (she's 2 now so a few more years) and she knows DAD WENT TO JAIL BECAUSE OF DRUGS.  This was the thought that got me THROUGH my addiction withdrawals.  I grew up without a Mom and a Dad, without a family... I am NOT going to let this happen to my daughter! I WILL NOT PUT HER IN THE POSITION I WAS PUT IN.  Remember how I was telling you I was praying to God asking for help or for a sign?  Well this past week....   We are behind on our bills.  Our cable is shut off, our internet is shut off, our cell phone are being threatened due to non-payment --- ALL BECAUSE OF MY SELFISHNESS.... A BUZZ THAT I DONT NEED ONLY THAT I WANT!  HOW COULD I DO THIS TO MY FAMILY?!?  Let me tell you....  Vicodin is a STRONG addiction.  I was spending $900-$1000 a month on my habit.  Our total bill amount for the month is $1200.  You do the math.  This past Thursday I was at work, doing my normal thing... Already ate 4 vicodin it was 11:00AM.  I was on my way to another 13/15 day and I received a phone call.  My babysitter called me at work to tell me that the Power was shut off at our house where she was babysitting.  There was a note in the door from Consumers Energy that read "Your past due balance of $600 and nonpayment has resulted in your electricity to be shut off".  I panick.... my daughter is at home with no electricity, I'm very embarassed because while my babysitter was sitting, they came and shut the power off.  CHECK THIS OUT---The 12 months I've been working for this new company, I've gotten paid on every other Friday.  The day the babysitter called me was Thursday to tell me that power was shut off.  I checked my bank account to see how much money I had and I had gotten paid on Thursday.  My paycheck was for the amount of $620.  THIS WAS THE SIGN FROM GOD.  He was taking care of me and my family.  I knew this was it.  I was done with vicodin.  Thursday (September 26th, 2013) I ate my last vicodin.  I ate 4 that day and 11:00AM on was vicodin free.  Thursday night I felt my feet THROBBING in PAIN.  I had a headache, my body was achy, it was very hard to get sleep.  Friday morning..... A day I will never forget.  Friday morning on my way into work I had the worst headache, body ache, runny nose, soar throat, stomach ache, cold sweats, my feet were on fire..... I ended up getting a 5-hour energy, 2 16 oz. Redbulls, a bottle of excederin and trudged my way through work.  It was the WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER FELT IN MY LIFE.  Throughout the day I was asked "what's wrong? You look white? Why are you sweating" I couldn't take it anymore, I had to ask my Supervisor to go home due to "being ill".  He agreed I didn't look well and sent me home.  I looked online for help... I felt like absolute crap.  I even had 10 vicodins sitting on
my endtable.  I kept looking at them, thinking and telling myself "NO! THINK OF YOUR FUTURE, YOUR DAUGHTER, YOUR FAMILY".  I ended up getting a bag of marijuana and a fifth of captain morgan and coke.  I smoked and drank but it didn't touch my headache or body aches.  Friday throughout the day I was literally on the couch ALL DAY with all of the above named symptoms.  I woke up 5 times throughout the night due to my feet killing me and my body just aching.  The next day everything was intensified.  I had WORSE body aches, WORSE headaches, WORSE everything.  Luckily it was Saturday so I didn't have to work today.  My fiance knew how bad my addiction was.  I told her that I would be detoxing and going to had bad withdrawals, but she had no idea how bad.  I literally laid on the couch from Friday until Sunday evening.  The entire time complaining to her about the pain and how wierd I felt not having any vicodin.  AGAIN STILL KEEPING THE MINDSET----MY DAUGHTER, MY FAMILY, MY FUTURE, MY HEALTH, MY MONEY.....  It was very hard for my fiance to understand why I went from---- Cleaning the house every day, doing laundry, doing dishes, taking care of our daughter, zipping around being super productive to nothing.  To laying on the couch, being irratated and argumentative towards her, not helping with chores.... NOTHING.  I had her come to this website.  I had her read some of the posts other people were saying so she knew I am not alone.  There are people like me out there getting OUT of this drug addiction.  This gave me a sense of calm knowing and seeing all of the posts about how they GOT THROUGH this addiction and how happy they are now that they are not addicted.  Well folks.... I'm here to tell you this.  I have been off of vicodin for 8 days now.  This is the first day I woke up and I didn't have a headache.  Minor feet ache.  Still fighting myself inside to NOT take any pills, but it's getting much much easier than 7 days ago.  The buzz I get now is from thinking "Wow... I really just did it. I stopped taking vicodin.  I AM strong"  IT WILL GET BETTER.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!  STAY STRONG AND REMEMBER IT WILL GET BETTER!  EVENTUALLY YOU WILL START FEELING BETTER, STICK IT OUT... YOU CAN DO IT
That is a great story and congrats to you!!! If you want to post something in the future, you may want to go to the top of the page and click on "post a comment".   This is an old post with over 400 comments and I am afraid that not many people will see your post.
I snort 5-7 percs a day, I also am raising a special needs child and started doing them because of the energy etc.  I am so sick of this monkey on my back, not to mention the money and the fear of running out, buying them off the street etc.  Help me please someone give me some suggestion how to do this with the minimal pain as possible.  I have a script of clonidine, ( it's old and it was for my son for sleep but they didnt work )  Can these help?  Please someone help me.  I want this done and over.
Two nights ago I watched my husband withdraw after being on vicoprofin for 8 months after hip surgery. he stepped down from them but I think he rushed it a bit wanting to be free from this stuff.It was one of the hardest things he has ever had to do.  He went thru the whole gammit of symptoms . He is now on day 6 of quitting and  I have my fun loving hubby back. He is still having some symptoms like headache sneezing and trouble sleeping .But says it was worth quitting and will never touch that crap again. "stay strong and pray ,pray, pray. The Lord understands and wants to help please do not hesitate to ask HIM .God bless you all.
I am currently taking vicodin. To make a long story short I need help getting off of them. Its embarrassing to admit. I've tried but get sooooo sick and I hate it. Someone plz help with some advice on how to get off of them without getting sick! Plz
I have a person I know who, I think, is addicted to vicodin.  She's a very smart women too.  

I am very educated and have been to rehab but not for pills.   I was court ordered by a Judge for an OWI probation charge that was dismissed because I did my rehab requirements.

It's very expensive to go to rehab but they have AA (alcohol anonymous) and NA (narcotics anonymous) meetings at rehab clinics for free.  I would suggest going to these meetings that are run by professional medical people and can give you the best advice.

Good Luck.  
What about all the mental effects? My sweet , kind boyfriend has turned into some kind of angry monster. He is very snappy. I can't say anything right. He wants to argue about stupid things. And worst of all, has threatened to help my ex husbands attorney with a case against me. Then he turns around and says "you know I would never do that". Who is this person I am dealing with???? Is that the true him or is it the pills talking.??!!
The ONLY way I can get off Vicodin .. This works, but be ready to be determined and ready to do it and stick to it and it won't be that bad.
Three things you need to do simultaneously:
1) Taper
2) Diet
3) Exercise ~ or just keep moving

TAPERING:
Don't try to be a hero; this is more than being tough minded.  You need a plan.  Here is a good formula:  Reduce by 10% daily; 20% every 3-5 days and then 25% every week. This should be done in about a four (4) week period.

Personal experience:  You can't keep the bottle handy to grab one or bite a chip off of anytime you get an urge.  Decide what you are going to allow yourself for the day, take that many out of the bottle and bring with you and put the bottle up!  far away in a drawer somewhere.   Now manage your dose for the day.  You can do this.  You are in control now over them, not vice versa ;)
When you get comfortable for a day at that dose, you need to give a little push and reduce down the next day.  Try to stay feeling just a little low but still ok to function.  You'll be happy to be getting some of your senses back already.  

DIET:
What you eat is HUGE!!  Did I say HUGE???!    Doing a No-Four No-Sugar diet is going to make you feel great by itself, if possible.  Suggestions: I have whey protein 1st thing in the morning with water.  Mix in small amount of water and then drink water for the next hour.  I then try to have eggs.  Skip the cheese, it will make you feel lousy!  Skip bread or have 1 slice of whole wheat + fruit.  Strawberries, blueberries, oranges.  Also, Plain Greek yogurt or vanilla ~ in the big containers with 20 grams of protein ~ is great to mix frozen blueberries or strawberries with.  I find raw broccoli in ranch dip for a snack to the be the best.  I think the folic acid really helps because I can tell when I don't have it.  Lean meat and veggies for dinner.  Skip the junk. It is so counterproductive!  Eating junk will just make you feel sluggish and you will think you need a Vicodin to feel better. The good thing about being a little low for me is that I can control what I eat more and plan meals better.

EXERCISE:
This is just a big as the first 2 on the list if not the most important!  You have to keep moving.  Clean your house, clean your yard, ride your bike, go for a walk.  Make yourself get up and just move and you will feel so much better.  

Actually, there is a 4th that is super important to me and the first thing I started with ...

PRAY:
God gave me the strength, knowledge, & peace to do what I need to do.
He will do it for you too ;)
Has anyone had sharp pains in there legs and chest.withdrawing from Vic or Norco i only been using this for 5 months but i just want to stop it. Ive been withdrawing for 3 days now..2 days ago i started having like theses slight pains in my like lower right middle of the chest muscle so it not like the center of my chest (kinda close though )...its just weird like it feels like a pinched nerve and its not constant. then yesterday i felt the exact sharpness in my right thigh. I do walk 3-5 miles a day. I'm 48, and well im thinking its just withdrawals, but im having all the symptoms everyone's describing-- chills, sneezing, tired but cant sleep, nervousness..and with me suffering from PSTD the anxiety-- at times is unbearable. SO i have 8 .25 Xanax and i was wondering if i should try weening myself off with those and mb some Motrin. Im poor so rehab and all that is out the question..and i don't/cant get anymore Vics are Norco's..well Friday supposedly but Im going to pass..i know i haven't been taking it long just 5 months @ 1 a day 750's but my body is very sensitive to any medications,,why i have been on .25 Xanax on and off since 1996 BAD P.T.S.D. and i never abused them ik its strange to say that. just 1 a day but really mb 1-3 a week is what i was taking.(they were prescribed 3 a day are as needed) BUT as of the last 2 years i really haven't taken allot of Xanax then i got my finger bit by a dog and started the Norco which led to Vic's/ I know the obvious thing is go to the ER and get the pain's mentioned above checked out..thing is im broke and the VA is just a joke to get into. I guess im curious if anyone else has had this symptoms i described. It would help with the anxiety level worrying about it. I just have to kick this though Norco and Vicodin scare the hell out of me. I got to the point i had to have one in the morning to finish out work and have some energy after i got off. That's Scary. I have to kick these Bastards. Thanks for any comments..Gods Speed.
Been taking Vicodin off an on for two years now at 1/ 2 a day and seems to be getting to be a problem. I'm getting bad mood swings , irritable, cramps, sweats, cant sleep. It seems the more I take the more irritable I get instead of mellowing me out. My sweet wife dose not know what to think of it and I"m afraid to tell her of the Vicodin I'm on. I thought the more you took the better you feel but with me the more I take the more irritable I get. Thinking about going some wear an drying out for a week away from my wife. Is this advisable???
Due to back pain and a partial torn tendon in an ankle from a fall on ice in March, I have been taking Vicodin for almost 3 months.  Unlike many people reporting on this site, the most I had ever taken was 4 a day and that was in early March.  After I got a steroid injection in my back, that pain went away and around the middle of March I started taking 2 a day from then on.

Two days ago my foot doctor said I can “resume normal activities”, like walking.  And I stupidly stopped taking the Vicodin cold turkey.  

I am having some withdrawal symptoms, mostly insomnia, runny nose, and total exhaustion...although the later could be from not being able to do any physical activity for 3 months.

Would it make any sense to take 1 or perhaps 1/2 a Vicodin a day for a few days, to help minimize the withdrawal effects?
Can someoneplease help me- I just found out my son has been stealing my vicodin-----I am a chronic pain patient and am prescribed 7.5 s.   3xday......but I only take one a day at most.......6das ago he stole between 70-100 of mine and after a series of discussions finally admitted it......here is the next problem.....I told him I wanted them back.....and he tells me that he as taken them all......I mean seriously  is that even possible ?   I know he is not selling them.....but could he take that many in 6 days and not overdose?   Thanx,
yes
I NEED HELP TO HELP MY MOTHER.  She has had two total hip replacements in the last ten month and was put on Hydrocodone 7.5/325 after her first surgery in October.  She had some stomach issues in between caused by stress and anxiety that delayed her last hip replacement until May.  She got up to taking 12  7.5/325 pills a day because her body kept getting more tolerant to the medication.  On July 22 she checked herself into a Detox Clinic to get off the hydrocodone after not being able to tapper off her medication by 1 pill every two weeks (she just ended up buy some off of a friend to keep her dose at 12 pill a day).  She has now been off the Hydrocodone for almost a month but she still says she's in withdrawal.  Anyway, the point is she still wakes up shaking in the morning (not her norm), prickling burning skin, high heart rate (though blood pressure is norm), stomach problems (not sure if it's the same thing as before because of stress or part of withdrawals) and sits in her bed all day.  The doctors have her on Clonidine, Buspar, Atarax, and Cymbalta to help.  She's always had HIGH ANXIETY.  I'm just wondering if there is anything else that might help.  I can't get her out of bed... believe me, I've tried.  She'd very depressed, and keeps talking about how this is going to be the end of her and that it'll never get better.  PLEASE HELP!   I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO!!!  I stayed with my parents for 5 months (March 10 - Aug 10) but I finally had to go back home to my husband because that long of an absence was starting to cause problems in our marriage not to mention that my mother was driving me nuts (that's normal for us).  I just want to help her in some way.  ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
moist warm heat will help your back and if you follow these steps I promise you will feel better. Nothing can cure it but this will help I promise. step 1 turn heating pad to med to high. step 2. have your have  your husband get a small hand towel wet, wring it out and put in in the microwave for about a minute and half. step 3. Then lay on the bed on your stomach (get as comfortable as you can) then WITH a t shirt on have him lay the hot (as you can stand it towel on your back, Then cover it with a dry towel then cover that with a plastic bag, IE:  a trash bag (this will keep the heat in then cover that with a bigger towel and lay there for about 20 min. If you do this twice a day for a week I PROMISE !!! YOU WILL FEEL 100% BETTER  This will not cure you but it DOES work. Somebody told me this along time ago and I tried it and to this day I thank him every chance I get. He said his wife would just put the towel in the microwave about every 5 min or so when it got cold so I came up with the heating pad Idea. Because of the pain in the but of re heating and applying. you can buy a moist heating pad IT IS NOT AS GOOD AS AN OLD FASHIONED HEATING PAD. they don't get as hot. Please Please try this I promise it will help and you will notice a difference in the way your back feels in the first day I probably wont be looking at this site again but let mw know if this helps   ***@****

Bill  
This is a very old thread.  Please go to top of page and click on "ask a question".  You will get a lot more responses that way :-)
Of all the remedies here, I am encouraged by your post. I am a professional person with an awesome life. I have always enjoyed the high from an occasional vicodin. All the energy to do the mundane things with gusto. Since July I have been taking 3-6 10 mgs a day. I am scared and need to stop.
I have been on vicodin for 5 years or more..hmm cant remeber..I sudden started getting nerve pain shooting through my body a stiff neck and body started getting very stiff especially fingers painful!!!!!!!needless to say at this point im not sure if i am sick or its the vicodin the sick part is I cant stopwithout help i get up and say int the morning i am not taking them and 1 hour if that later there I go popping 1 then 2 so is the vics causing this brain nervous system pain is my mylin sheathe gone i feel like i am not going to be able to move any part of my body soon i went to er and the shot me with dilaudid and right before i left I stared feeling weird .. half way home i starte with bad tremors lasted 20 mins i was o scared thought i was having a seizure I think time is up my body cant handle thesse drugs any more im scared i will die can anyone give me any advice on how to stop ? im scared i will have seizure or something i need help but every detox center does not have medical people in it and the ones that do dont take my ins.. im screwed!!!!!!!
This may help you there is a miracle drug to get off them called suboxin not sure of spelling my cousin was taking up to 6 Norco 10/ at a time soboxin saved his life try it it takes away the cravings and keeps you drug free.
I'm a drug counselor and 10years clean.That is the best analogy I have heard yet. I plan to quote you a lot. (The juice isn't worth the squeeze). That was real good thanks. I love hearing success stories, and I am really partial to hearing how recent abusers look back at active use. This is for newbies to clean and sober. "It truly helps to clean by helping others to make that commitment. You have a recent memory of the real "HELL' it is. and speak in a way that active users understand. Thank you
Your definitely not alone. I to have been on these damn things for 4 years for pain from being so obese and then I had gastric bypass surgery have lost a ton of weight and have had plastics surgeries for skin removal. Still in pain from having been so heavy....buttt!
I wish I could find something to help with the withdrawals. I'm going to quit, try again!
They are crazy addictive! I had no idea that it could be so bad. I didn't believe people when they told me it'd be this awful to quit.  When I take them I can function. When I don't I can't. I have nearly quit several times, then my refill comes up and I just want to feel normal again. I hate the diahrea! The flu like symptoms the lack of energy and motivation. Its all such a nightmare.
Just day two for me....I have to find work too! How am I going to do that when I can't even stop going to the bathroom or shaking!!!! My head hurts and it feels lie I have a fever....Lord help us!
I have a family I need to help support.
Your not alone, not by any means.
I was on violin close to two years but went off violin cold turkey nine weeks ago.  I only used it for migraine headaches until I started getting sick from violin. My body couldn't handle the drug any more so I stopped using it 9 weeks ago the only problem I am having right n ow is anxiety and not sleeping at night does anyone know how long this will last  I also get light headed from the lack of sleep. Other wise I think I'm doing ok being off . Please send me your comments to my email address.  ***@****  Thanks for your help
I have had lower back pain and my first surgery was in 2004, they put a cage in my L5 S1. I was okay foe a wile and then I began to have pain again. Leg went numb etc. I tried everything out there to ease the pain and nothing worked. I went years of taking small amounts of Vicodin. In 2013 after increasing the dosage several times I had more test run and surgeon told me me I had a bone spur impinging on a nerve on my right side. I had sugery to have it removed and after two weeks of being home I kept experiencing excessive pain in my arm. I called Dr. And they gave me steroids. That did nothin. They did an MRI in my cervical and discovered I had a herniation in my C6. Lucky me, I went in 6 weeks after the first surgery and had the c6 fixed.  My cervical has been okay but my right side lumbar never has.

In 2015 I went to a very prominent surgeon and took all of my records. He said there were several issues with the L5 S1 and felt very confident he could help me.  I had surgery in March of 2015.  Unfortunately I have the same pain and I recently found out the fusion did not take on the right side. The surgery was aggressive; I had  plate, 2 rods and 2 acres put in my lumbar spine. I wonder that the hardware is holding onto if there is no bone there.

When the doctor did the surgery he removed a large amount of scar tissue off my nerves on the right side, unfortunately I had leg pain within 2 weeks. This could mean permanent nerve damage.  

I a am currently prescribes Vicodin 7.5 2 tablets four times a day. I do nor tKe that much. I try to only take what I need. I recently got married and my husband is very upset about me taking this medicine because I am tired all the time. I have had to step down from my job and I feel like my life is falling apart. Dr. Says I will have to have another surgery and they are rally booked.  I want to go off the Vicodin altogether and just take the pain.i am tired of people telling me about pain meds and I'm tired of being tired. I don't want to lose my husband and I don't know where to start. I'm almost ready to just give up!
I am 69 year old male. I have been on vicodin for about two years. I started taking 1 per day in the morning. I am now taking 3 to 4 per day 5/325. My issue is muscle pain. I am going to quite this drug tommorrow. I have 4 pills left and will not be able to fill my script for 10 days. I know that with Gods help I will be successful. Any information on what I can expect withdrawal wise.  
Hello Michael. And yes to your question. Your gut is healing itself from the drug that you have been taking for quite some time. You have to give it a little bit of time and it sure will start to get back to normal. Use this regimen as it will help you to detox faster. Start taking natural Turmeric at two tablespoons a day with water or milk as it will progress your symptoms and drink yellow lemon water with a pinch of olive oil as well on a regular basis Michael. Trust me. It will help. Just make sure you are not allergic to any of these before taking and if you like to ask your Doctor just in case you will feel better about it. I hope you feel better and thank you for reading my comment. Have a blissful Day Michael.
I'll gladly adopt your monkey.