Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?
I am a 40 yr old male and I have been taking 2-4 Vicodin a day for the past three years. A medical doctor prescribed it for me after it was discovered I suffered bone degeneration in my lower 2 disk vertebrea. At the time I thought little of taking a prescription painkiller. Now after my first 6 days of no longer taking Vicodin I am realizing how powerful of a substance it actually is. I'm having withdrawal symptoms I didn't expect. Light headedness, the runs, blood pressure going up, and general fatigue. Lots of fatigue. And some irritability. I am hoping that these symptoms begin to decrease soon. Well, they have gotten better than it was in the first 2 days. I am still wondering how long I can expect to have these side effects of withdrawal?
hello and welcome.In my opinion you are going to get off easy .If you ween off that amount you should suffer minimal w/d symptoms.There are alot of peeps who will tell you how.Me personally do it every time cold turkey and hate life all at once.Kinda like cuting your hand off once opposed to cutting  one finger off once a week and suffering a whole lot longer.but that is just me.There aer peeps who are more experienced in other factors than i.Good luck .God Bless
                      Bruce
Can someone answer this. How long does hydrocodine show up in your system for a drug test. I take this drug for the pain I get with Lymes Disease. I'm starting a new job and they will ask for a drug test. How soon do I need to get off of them so it don't show up on my test. Thanks.
HI, I think u are in good shape.  U have already had the worst of it and now, they will begin to taper off and get better and better.  The irritability may last a little longer, but not much I imagine.  Anyway, congrats.  U took the meds like u should and didnt ever get into trouble w/ them.  That says a lot to me.  Anyway, that makes a difference during all of this, in my opinion.  Stay positive and by the end of the weekend, I bet they are a memory, distand I hope.  How is your pain now?  Do u have another way to manage it?  I wish u all of the best, and please let us know if u need anything else.  There are lots of smart ppl here who have done this before and are so willing to help if u need it.  Good Luck and God Bless.

sincerely,
tracy

ps....to all friends who are seeing my name and saying she needs to go to bed, Im going, just couldn't sleep and thought I would peek.  lol
On average hydrocodone withdrawal peaks at 72 hours and gets better between days 7-10. There is a direct correlation between the length of time and amount of hydrocodone taken and the length and severity of withdrawal. So I would expect that by day 7 or 8 you will be feeling much better. I would never advise going "cold turkey" as this can do permanent damage to the nerve cells in your central nervous system(brain and apinal cord), cardiopulmonary system and smooth muscle in your digestive tract( mainly the large intestine as these are the areas of the body where opiate receptors are widely spread. Tapering as slowly as possible will almost eliminate withdrawal symptoms. Once you stop taking them you will probably feel some withdrawal symptoms so always taper as slowly as possible toward the end.

xoxo- D.
If you have a legit script you do not need to worry. Just provide the bottle to the technician that does your test and they notate it in your chart for results. The HC only shows when they are seeking out synthetic drugs, which some employers have begun to do with the influx of prescription abuse. However, if you have a script they cannot hold it against you, since you have a medical disease. That would fall under discrimination. Most employers, especially smaller companies, only run a basic 5 or 7 panel UA, which doesn't typically seek out synthetic drugs like HC and OC.

P.S. I speak from being an ex-P.O. and administering many a UA's. I read the lab manual front to back and this is what the labs reported to the agency. However, test are ever changing and anything is possible when it's in your system. I wouldn't think opioids would remain in the system for more then a week. In fact, MJ is out of the system within 3-5 days. The longest is reported at 21 days and that is for a user that smokes five plus joints a day for at least a two week period, per lab manual. Many folks always believed one joint would stay in your system for at least a month, but that's a fallacy! If you have a fast metabolism it will be even faster! Whatever you do, do not flush your system too much bc they also check the creatine levels and if they are too low they will report that and it will appear as though you were trying to flush your system. Most companies will make you repeat the test if this happens and it may not look good. Try drinking mass amounts of water a couple days before the test and then the day before and day of the test drink juices and you could even take a creatine supplement to increase your levels in the Urine.

Hope that helps.
I was taking vicodin for a severe tooth ache, after this I became addicted, I enjoyed the high. I took about 4 tablets a day for about 2 months and I was on it on off after that. Now I have stopped, it has a week since I last took my last vicodin. Anxiety and insomnia kicked in right away. It got better about the fifth day but I had an anxiety and nervousness attack on my seventh day. Is this normal, will this go away or will the anxiety always peak in. Is this my body telling me it needs the drugs.
I have been taking vicodin & or percoset for about two years now,I had two surgeries in 2 years,anyway,I am totally addicted,have been taking about 6-8 a day of the highest strength,I tried the cold turkey method since I cannot afford rehab and I wanted to gouge my eyes out,ha ha ,sweats,throwing up,wanting to crawl out of my skin,the whole nine yards,I have been trying to find a way to get off it on my own since,it is ruining my life,I met with someone today who made me an appointment witha doctor to talk about suboxen,sorry about spelling,does anyone know anything about that or have any other advice,Thanks!
Hi Ya,

I am exactly in your shoes.  I have a Dr. who fills mine every time.  Makes it so easy.  I am just off mine, but be careful.  Once you are done, get rid of the bottle.  Flush them away!  Do not stop cold!  Start by reducing 50% for a few days, then 50% of that.  You will feel free like someone has just unlocked your handcuffs when you finish.

Feeling Good For Once in California
I was a heavy user for at least 3 yrs. 4-9 per day of Vicodin XS or Lortab.  My doc (a friend) finally cut me off.  I've been cold turkey for 2 weeks and can't take it.  It is not getting better.  I vomit hourly early morning thru mid-afternoon  and have such bad diarreha that it's embarassing.  I'm not sleeping and have become a heavy drinker because it's the only thing that "numbs" my misery.  I actually would become an addict again just to get rid of this misery.  Any suggestions?
This is bothersome but hydro is the lightest off all opiate WD's. Some people get serious WD's like above but most can get over it in 5 days. all the best
Hi. I have been taking Vicodin for almost four years now.  Two spinal surgeries and failed lower back surgery.  A new ruptured disc.  It's hard not to take Vicodin.  I don't want to start with anything else and I don't mix  drugs, although, I do take Klonopin, which I find works as a good muscle relaxer (safer than Soma).  Anyway, I was up to 4-5 a day for two weeks (not a lot for some) and now I am cutting down, but I feel as though I am either fighting a flu bug (cold sweats, hot skin, goose bumps, head aches with brain fog and I haven't even cut the vicodin out, just tapering off.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or perhaps I an coincidentally sick.  Anyway, I need to get off of this stuff no matter how much pain I'm in, as I want to feel free again and not agitated or moody when I'm coming off.  I am depressed too.  I just want to be me again, but sometimes the pain is too much and over the counter drugs do not help and 9 epidurals later, nada!  Any suggestions?  Thank you
Me again.  Actually, is it possible to go thru withdrawals while decreasing Vicodin, but still taking it?  Anyone experiencing this or has experienced this in the past?  
Hi everyone, Help is my most valued word now. I am a 61 year old grandma addicted to vicodin for the last 7 years. I have noticed now that my habit has gotten worse and I'm not liking it at all. I don't have support of my husband for out of house therapy or even in house therapy. Some times the ones not addicted just don't understand. I have tried to stop cold turkey a few time prior and the craving was unreal so I would opt to get more and hence the habit is getting worse. It's gotten so bad that I find myself counting days until my next trip to the doc when I can get another script for them and then count the days they will last and I always fall short because I take more than I should and I run out. I want to stop totally. It's been so many years since I haven't taken them I don't know if I even still have pain from the orginal thing I started with them in the first place. I'm up to 10 to 15 a day now and take five just to get me moving in the morning. This is no way to live. How long and how hard are the with drawals from it? I don't want to live my life around this drug anymore. Just a word of encouragment some times is what I think I need and to know that I am not alone. Thanks
Hi, I am new here, never posted before but have been "lurking" for over a year.  I have been taking vics for years for back pain. I don't take more than I am prescribed, nor do I take more than two at a time.,I am prescribed 6- 5 milligram tablets a day, but I was taking the maximum. I have cut back to 5 a day for two weeks and intend to go down a half a pill everyother week until I am done. By the last week in June, I am stopping, even if I cannot taper down as far as i would like. I have a vacation week then to deal with any potential withdrawals.  Please tell me if I am allowing too much or not enough time in the spacing/reduction of dosage and how many days I will be unable to function during the stop in June-if gameplan works, I will have tapered to half a pill by then.  I have two teenagers, and I am very much Mom's taxi service, so I will need to make arrangements for them if I am too ill to drive.
Just wanted to see how you were doing.  Do you think it's possible even after 3 years of trying and trying to go through the first 3 days and be ok.  I feel bad but think I can make it.  I wonder how much of this is mind power too.
The last two Vicodin I took were Saturday night Aug 15th. Today is Aug 17th it's Monday morning and for me to be able to get out of the house and go to work (normal) I only need TWO-750mg of Vicodin.  If I pop two, I'm out the door, off to work and all is happy. If I don't, I know what my day will be filled with...my head in a fog, my body aching and all I'll want to do is sleep. Not at all conducive to being the bread winner. I feel like I need a two vaction to let my body detox, but that's not going to happen. Last night I told my husband I feel like I'm coming down with the flu...I know better than that, it's withdrawals. I came to this site to find information on withdrawals and read others experiences...thank you to those of you that shared. So, the question for me today is, to ween or to go cold turkey. I see here people doing both and people having very different out comes. I think cold turkey is the way for me...It's only been a little over a day and a half, I'm feeling sick, sleeply and full of pain, why stop now. I'm not feeling well but I'm full of hope. I'll keep you updated. Say a prayer!
My doctor put me on Vicodin and Bennies starting in May of 2009 for a disk issue in my back.  The pain only got worse and I started to lose interest in everything, which almost cost me my job.  To make a very long story short; I realized I was over medicated and found an excellent treatment center in Michigan.  I spend 10 days there and I'm doing much better.  I learned that if I had stopped cold turkey I could have died.  It's be 21 days now and I am still in withdrawal.  I take 2 meds to help, but I have a long way to go.   My adictionologist says that it can take up to 2 years to feel better, but I should feel better after 1 month and much better after 3 months.  I am suing my old doctor and trying to get laws passed to protect us from these drugs.  If you would like to know where I went for treatment I can send you a link.  I don't go to NA meetings because I was physically addicted and I have learned to hate the Bennies and Vicodin.
there is power in prayer......go to JESUS!!!!!! there is nothing he cant do.......TRUST ME.
Bless all of you .Iwas taking 3or 4 a day.for two years due to three surgeries.I quit cold turkey 12 days ago.It's been rough but I'm very concerned about the insomnia i am having.I''m lucky to sleep 3 or 4 hours a night.Any suggestions?

Thanks,butchie 477
Hello all and thank you for posting such comments... I was on Vicodin for almost an entire year, 3 pills of that 750mg a day... I, as someone else said here, "enjoyed the high" but I am also an alcoholic who struggles yet continues to fight daily to get off the booze. I'm just wondering when I will feel better in life and my interests again without the need for wanting to get high and dandy like I always craved before... causes me major depression... well, anyway, my AIM/AOL is PaulostheSpy for anyone who wishes to respond or something. Thanks.
I have been on  norco 4/day for 8 years. sometimes the pain is sooo bad I have taken one every two hours. I desperately want it gone. I am more scared of the pain than the dependence. I recently got cortisone shots in both shoulders and thus pain relief. I only took one norco yesterday and 2 today, I have been sweating every night, from either the cortisone or the withdrawls. I want to be pain free. I don't know many days without pain. I hope this respite from pain lasts long enough to stop the pills. I am no hero and could not go thru much misery. I am 58 female and have fibromyalgia. I consider the last week a gift from God. I will take what I need to to function. But in my heart of hearts I want no pain, no pills.
i've been on norco, hydrocodone 7.5 and was taking too many a day for about 2 months, then this past week and a half tapperd down dramaticaly from 4 a day to 3 then 2 then to 1 5/500 mg yesturday monring and one this morning. I've been feeling the WD's pretty bad these past 3 days about, and today it doesnt feel like that one helped AT ALL! but so far the WD's have been diareha and chills/goosebumps sumthin powerful - but its workable, i WD from oxy at the end of this last year only a handfull of months ago.. so this WD now is dramatically better ( even though it *****!) the oxy took a good 2 1/2 months to get to the point where i could even leave the house,
this vicodin WD seems like its much more tolerable... like i dont even have to stay in bed, as long as mentally i keep telling myself that!
i reallly reallly realllllllly hope it doesnt get worse through the night!
you're right though, since i recently ( i'd never forget it) came off huge huge huge amounts of oxycontin - this WD seems MUCH more tolerable ( the oxy WD IS NOT TOLERABLE BELIEVE ME DOOOONT TAKE EM CUZ THE WD IS HELL)
i'm gunna try to keep on going though as though i'm not in WD from the vic's. i have too much to do so im HOPING i can actually do that - cuz the oxy WD was out-of-commision time -
now if i jsut get bad stomach and chills/goosebumps... well i suppose i can deal w/that and still function - i sure had to deal w/ that the last 3 weeks of the OXY wd anyways...

ugh -
I am a 20 yr. old female and I am in pain management.. I have severe, severe scoliosis which causes severe pain. I am on two 5-500 mg lortab pills a day, and three 100 mg neurontin a day. I am 2 weeks short on my pills cause I am now addicted to them. I have been taking up to 9 a day.. I am down to 1 and a half pills. Now I am having to come down off of the lortab for the next 2 weeks. I am one day in and its already getting bad.. I have no energy what so ever.. and I'm having severe insomnia, and restless leg syptoms.. I literally have no energy or get up and go about me.. I really need this medicine.. but I don't know how to control my addiction.. Lortab is the only pain med that works. They've tried me on everything and thats the only thing that helps. What should I do?? If they don't find the lortab in my system, they'll kick me out and say that I've been selling my pills.. How soon b4 my pain management opointment should i take the 1 and a half pill for it to be in my system?? What's so sad is that I NEED to be on strong pain killers, but the addiction gets outta control every time.. I'm lost and scared..
The original post is over 2.5 years old. You should start a new thread that is all your own...i.e. post a comment. You will get a lot more help this way. The people in the post you replied to are probably not here anymore....though there are some of us that have been around for a while.
I did send you a Private Message (PM) about your situation. We are in the same boat and you do have options.....Hyrodcodone isn't necessarily the best option-read the PM
Stay strong,
Greebs
First, you cannot do permanent damage from going cold turky. Simply is not true all you are doing is forcing up regulation of the opiate delta 2 and class c receptors at a faster rate hence the physiologic withdawls which is different then the pychological withdrawl. This homestatic readjustment is what causes withdrawls bc remember you have opiod receptors all over. Try not to inject unnecessary fear where not warrented. But it is true the intensity of the withdawls will be felt but physiologically there is no tissue damage/inflammatory response indicitive of tissue damage.
Today is my third full day without some type of pain killer.  I had a bad experience taking too much last week and was very light headed and disorinated...not to mention sick on my stomach.  After being on a minimal dose (or close to it) for the last God knows how many years....and paying out the a*, I have decided I'm very tired of this life style. I have experienced insomnia, leg restlessness, diareha, sever pain, anxiety and all the other normal symptoms, but at this point the worse was jaw pain.  I feel like I'm gonna make it at this point, but the first 2 days were awful.  NO ENERGY at all.  I was very concerned on the effects all the drugs were having on my body, especially my liver.  May I suggest, if you are contimplating quitting, take a few sick days and blame it on the flu.  Get something to make you sleep like an over the counter sleeping pill.  I am a professional person, and I have hid this for years.  I am tired of it and I will stop.  I've watched a family member slam these pill 5-7 at a time and I WILL NOT be like that.  I cant.  I have a family to provide for.  It must stop now!  And may I add that the pain that i have been taking this for seems to be some better at this point.....imaging that!
Well its day 1 , almost 24 hours now without anything. ive been through this before and it sucked but i did it by weening off of them. i was eating 12-16 a day, they were free why not right? this time i took 10 -3 days ago, 6 -2 days ago and 1.5 -yestreday. its been 24 hours with 0 right now. Not quite the weening off that we are told to do but im done!!!  im going cold turkey.. im must. i want to be free of this life that is not me. i been doing drugs for over 23 years straight. everything you imagine. this time i hired a coach, wrote down my reasons why i must quite this life and im not gonna look back. come hell or high water im not eating another pill. i flushed the rest yesterday. it cant be that bad and its going to be the best 5 days of cleansing in my life. These next 5 days will cleanse all the demons that have possesed me. Nothing in the next 5 days cane be worse than the years of internal hell that i have lived with. Please change your thoughts to the freedom that you are giving yourself , dont look back. Look forward at the future your are creating. You deserve it! we all do... i encourage you guys to write your reasons why you must do this, why you must stop today? is it because you will die? is it because you have ruined your relationships? how much better will life be when you are free? keep that though in your mind everyday and you will make it through. Feel the life you will have when you are free. What does your life look like when you are free, how is it differant? how much better is it? How much better are your relationships?  Write down your reasons and repeat your reasons out loud on why you must do this many times a day for encouragement. What worse, a few bad weeks of withdrawl or a life of hell and pain from not living up to what you can be? Just think of what life will be like when you are free? Thats what i have done... i have my reasons why and they are much more powerful than a a week of being sick. Im not trying to downplay anything but i though this board could use some encouragement.... You can do it, nothing is worse than living a life of guilt and internal pain like we have been doing.  I promise to repost at my 48 or 72 hour mark. You can do no matter what the pain may bring... bring it on.
Sounds like you have an awesome plan.  Stick with it buddy.  Best of luck to you and come back and talk to us.  I'm on day 6 and feeling so very much better.  We will be thinking about you and praying for you too!
I have been in and out of rehab a couple times and now that I can't afford it and my family will not pay AGAIN I am ready! So I was taking about 10 norcos a day 10/325 I am about 22 hrs clean I have tappered a little for 2 days. I have read and heard if you take a med thats for ADHD (Vyvanse) I got some I was told to take 2 30mg tablets a day for 5 days and I will be fine. As I said before I am almost 24hrs into this and I actually feel pretty good not great but ok. I have heard the first 24-48 hrs are the very worst is this true? I have always had medical detox so I never felt anything. I didnt want xanex or a benzo because I like them tooo much I really dont like the wired feeling at all hate uppers! This is just making me have a little energy and I think helping with mindset. So I guess what I am asking has anyone tried Vyvanse to detox and is it true if you make through the first 24-48 everyday after that gets better?
New here, I've taking 2-3 10/325 norco's consistently for about 6 months now. About to get married soon and the fiancee is gone for 7 more days. I figured I'd better kick this habit before it gets a hold of me anymore.
I'm on day two from quitting cold turkey and was wondering how long it will take to get a full night of sleep. These night sweats and sleepless nights are killing me. Any advice, besides exercise to help sleep at night.
FYI- The last two nights I've been up, I get online and read these posts, they help when you think about getting more
I'm new here as well.  I am on day three after everday for  2 years having tabs.  I usually take anywhere 6 - 10 depending on availability.  I work full time so I am having to tough it out.  I am drinking TONS of water.  I take 1 five hour energy drink in the morning and one around noon. I excercise on my lunch everyday.  At night I'm taking tylenol pm.   I don't get as much sleep as I should but I am able to get through the day suprisingly well.  Hope any of this well help you or anyone else.  Good Luck!
To all that are suffering from withdrawals, it gets better, much better!

For three years straight I have taken 6 10Mg Vicodins a day, 180 pills per month.  I have severe chronic back pain from an accident in my late teens, now I am 35.  I found some alternative medicine that really is helping my back condition, may not be for everyone, but hey it is working for me.  I went from 60mgs a day (3 years), to 30mg/per day for 10 days, then 20mg/per day for 2 days, then just one 5mg pill yesterday.  It has been really hard!  But, my encouragement for all is that it does get better very soon, usually 3 days and the symptoms start to go away.  I feel like I am full of cement and can barely move, no energy, cant sleep, all the normal stuff that happens in WD.  I was at one time given Oxy and I elected to go cold turkey.  This is a very bad idea and please don't ever try OXY by going cold turkey, it is worse than just about anything you can think of.  In my experience, energy starts to climb back to normal by day four and sleep resumes to somewhat normal.  I do recommend taking time off from work if you cant do the detox program at a hospital.  It does get better.  I have found that Valium is wonderful (small dose) to take in those first few days, it really helps with sleep and the anxiety that can happen.  But, be careful because it is yet another drug.  I had acupuncture performed today and well I don't know if works or not, but I am trying it all.  Good luck to all my fellow WD sufferers.  It does get better, just hang in there, and do talk to your doctor if it gets super bad, they are ready to help and I have found that they don't judge.  You aren't a junky, an addict, or any other negative stereotype that is out there, you are person that is dealing with a powerful med.  Many Blessings.
I liked your comment, especially knowing it was created just one hour ago. I want to ask, how many days are you off of the meds? Do you still get depression? I've tried many times trying to quit but keep going back because of depression. My family is away on vacation for two weeks and they have no clue what's going on. I was hoping to finally kick the habit while they're gone but I'm almost sure I'll go through WD's when they come back. The only thing I worry about is the depression around my son and becoming irrated about everything.
i am 47 yr old female going thru cold turkey detox, at home i have been taking 10/650 lortab for 10 years saturday night i just decided i cant live like this anymore. I thought i was really sick, and in pain until i realized i was taking the meds if i needed them or not. well i am on day 2 of wd, i have always been afraid of wd.  I think the pills are worse tham the wd. i will just keep praying
Well, a bit of background. Abused everything I could get my hands for the past 30 years on and off. Most of that time was illegal stuff without major physical addiction and could stop for days, weeks, and even months at a time with maybe a little irritation (pot, psychedlics). Had a year bout with Meth 15 years ago that I kicked cold turkey and just slept for 3-4 days and was fine. For the past 10 yrs, been taking Vicoden, Hydrocodone 7.5 (main one), Norco, and the rare MS Contin (Morphine), Oxycontin, and Dilaudid. Have a prescription and take them for frequent migraines - but the doc gives me between 90-120 a month for migraines that I get 2-4 times a month, go figure. I didn't complain! I'd run out after about 3 weeks, you can do the math. I have family members with access to other prescription opiates to tie me over until I can get my meds refilled. I've quit in the past for short periods of time, from a week or two to even a month (was feeling great and started back, need a face palm icon). I haven't abused illegal drugs really for the past 15 years at all. Don't really have a desire for that kind of high. In fact, I have no desire for any kind of high. Through all of that, I earned a college degree, was successful in my business pursuits (very successful in fact), have a great family, career, church life, and a bright future ahead. I am probably the most functional addict that you would ever meet and besides my wife and a couple of family members, nobody even knows. So fast forward to NOW. I knew that quitting was needed, I'm not young anymore (mid 40s), my career is moving to the next level, and my desire for opiates was starting grow. I ran out of my last prescription (90 pills) after 2 weeks. I cut down to a couple of pills for 2 days last week and have been cold turkey since last Wed. at around 3pm when I took a half. It's now Sunday night. I know what to expect. I usually have the hardest time during the night and can't sleep which compounds things during the day. I have prescription to Ambien (I have insomnia a few times a year and don't abuse it) and have been taking a half tablet at night and that does help me sleep and avoid that discomfort. Let's just say that I've felt like I've had the light flu but it is hay fever season and that is also affecting me. First day way was tough but manageable. Second day was better. Third day was not bad at all, in fact thought I might have gotten off easy. Fourth day,today - this has been awful. Massive headache (not a migraine either), leg cramps, the runs, cloudy head - usual w/d symptoms. I was able to take a nap but woke up feeling worse! Had the thought of taking a small dose of something that is available, but decided to not even go there! Day 5 is tomorrow of course, hoping it will be better. I've never felt so determined to stop all of this nonsense after years and years of it. Feeling really irritated right now and my head  is pounding. It's almost 10pm, I skipped the Ambien last night (slept a little), will take a half tonight. I was looking up Vicoden W/D symptoms (again) and ran across this board. By the way, I came here to really just get my thoughts out, read other people's experiences. I did see some incorrect medical information provided in this forum (I'm no doctor) but have read enough about opiate WD, have been in rehab when younger a couple of times, and I have a friend who is a pain management specialist (very responsible and is not my doc) who does not know of my use but we've had many conversations on the topic, and I know these so called facts to be incorrect. Go to your doctor for proper medical advice. Wish me look, I'll try to check in if I don't get too busy.
There is no one on  this forum that are doctor nor do we claim to be . I am glad you are enjoying reading others experiences .Pretty soon you will be over the worst off the physical of course the physical is the easy part seen as you have been threw this a few times you know the importance of aftercare what do you have lined  up.. Getting clean is the easy part staying clean is the hard part ..Good luck.
avis
Well, day six - so far so good but not easy. The days are not bad because I'm so busy, the evenings and night are TOUGH. Its about 6:30PM now and this afternoon was a little tough and seems to be getting tougher. Last night was brutal, couldn't sleep at all - leg/bone aches/restlessness), I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't helping today. I don't drink alcohol at all (kind of funny, never liked it), so no minor relief from that like I've heard some people do, but to me that is subbing one thing for another. Tomorrow will be a solid week, hopefully I'll start feeling better in a day or two.
hello.  Have you tried an OTC sleeping aid?  They really helped me after a week of w/ds.  I never abused them and dropping them after 3 months was pretty easy..no major withdrawal.  Took about a day to get to sleep again without anything, but I take benadryl for allergies so that may help me sleep at night also.
Are you taking any vitamins?  or some Hylands Restful Legs is soo good for the twichy legs and restlessness.  Take a hot bath too.  Very helpful to stop the leg problem, plus it will help you sleep if you do it about an hour before bed.  You seem to be doing great, hang in there and good luck to you!  God bless, keep posting.  I have to go cook dinner now, c  everyone tomorrow morning :)  Have a blessed evening...the cheerleader (lol)...
I haven't tried any OTC sleeping aids other than Benedryl, which I do take at night sometimes for my severe allergies. Doesn't help me sleep at the moment at all (I did take one last night in fact). Usually they wipe me out and I don't ever take them during the day. This evening was rough and I had work to do, so my wife dug out a really old bottle of alcohol that was buried in the back of the pantry and made me one drink (remember, I hate alcohol and this was some pricey whiskey that we've had for probably over 10 yrs, she doesn't drink either), it tasted horrible but I must admit after forcing a drink down (mixed with cola) it did help. Wasn't much, didn't really feel it like in a buzz but it relieved the cloudiness and some of the leg pain and let me focus on getting some work done. That was several hours ago and has well worn off. I took about a third of an Ambien a few minutes ago (waited so there would be no mixing with alcohol), that should help me sleep. I am starting a vitamin program in the morning, we went through what we had, read a few web sites on what would help and figured out what I need to take. She takes a lot of homeopathic stuff, so we have vitamins, minerals, amino acids, herbs, etc. on hand. I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment though! I love being able to go to the family calendar in the kitchen and put an small x on it to indicate another successful day. 6 x's on their now!
woohoo on day 6!  yes, I say take all the vitamins, herbs whatever you can get  they really help your body detox faster and help you to feel better too....good luck to you, keep posting!! :)
I have been abusing pills for years. I am up to about 10-12 a day and I decided to stop. I did take one yesterday monring, but here I am now, at work and I am in so much pain I want to cry. The worst part for me is the whole not sleeping thing. I hate feeling like I have no control over my body and the way it moves and jerks while I am trying to sleep
Hi Shelly.  Know what you're going thru.  Listen, if you post a new question up there at the top, you may get more feedback okay?  Just start a new question...lots of good information and people to help here ,,
Day 7 - a success! Slept good last night, not a bad day - started some vitamins today. More flashes of normalness than feeling bad. I was really busy today at work so that helped a lot. When I had to finally sit at my desk and get on the phone and computer, that's when things got a little rough for a while. Got a busy day tomorrow so it should be good if I can get some sleep tonight. Just took a Benadryl (actually needed it), so hopefully that will help.

To Shelly1200 - you can do it, I worked everyday and it was brutal. But once I decided to stop, that was it. Take some of the advice, start vitamins asap! stay busy also, it does help. Good luck!
Haven't posted in a few days - on day 11 and every day gets easier. I used for so long that it's just going to take a few weeks or more before I have a full day and night without any w/d symptom. The days now are almost no problem, feel pretty good and my energy level has increased 200%. I'm becoming very productive in everything I do. The cloudiness has gone away and I am thinking much clearer. I am getting agitated easily, especially in the evenings when I'm tired. Still having sleeping problems unless I have an aid. Going to try Tylenol PM tonight. The RLS is still there and I get aches in my shins and ankles at night, last night was pretty bad, I feel asleep with no aid but woke up about 3 hours later with my legs/bones aching. All in all, things are going well and I'll hit the two week mark in a few days! If I can get through this, anybody can! I even used to say this -- I take the pills in order to feel normal, not get high, that is really a bunch of garbage, you are not normal nor are you reaching your full potential  while on them. The thought processes are skewed, energy levels are lower, and ambition is zapped. You just don't feel feel the w/d symptoms, but there is still a lot of things going on that are not positive.
Great job!  One suggestion....if you are having bad RLS at night, watch the Benadryl.  Everyone is different, but it makes mine 100 times worse when I have taken it during WD or when I already had some RLS.  

Just a suggestion!  Won't hurt to try it though.  That is just what it does to me!
Hello, I have a 'trick' for those of you out there that want to limit yourself or taper off of the Vics and KNOW that if the're in the house you're gonna take them....first of all buy yourself a GOOD safe, one that you cannot pry open with a crowbar....however many vics you usually do, cut that number in half, take em out and lock the rest in the safe...Now you are going to tape the key in a small heavy stock of paper and fold it over and tape it shut (just like a mini greeting card) place it in an envelope, put your own address on it and mail it!!!!!!!  you wanna make sure the key is taped strait up and down in the heavy paper not sideways (because mail machines bend envelopes) and if your safe key has a molded black end on it take it to a key maker and get a totally flat key made!  and throw away the other keys! only have one! if you mail it before 5 it will usually get back to you the next day.....This drug is evil, I know just like you all know....it's been too many years, it has to stop....I (we) want our lives back....Taper off my friends using this method, hold fewer and fewer back before you mail that key....you may have forgotten how to be happy and satisfied since vicodin grabbed you but I'm here to tell you that given some time, you will remember who you are again.....Don't LET THE ******* WIN......LET'S FIGHT!!!!
hello everyone i am having a hard time with hidrocodone i'm triyng to get off of it but the illnes is unbearrable the nausea and the chills i dont know what to do i've been on it for four years, taking 10 per day now i'm at 4 per day but i am done i have lost all of my money, friends , etc... if anyone knows how can i slow it down and evantually quit for good please just.... something, a way i don't wanna feel like this anymore thank you and best wishes to everyone.
this was an old post ! A good one !
Just want to say -- hit two weeks off the stuff today. Feeling pretty good overall, actually sleeping without Ambien the last two nights but having some minor RLS and leg aches at night, but nothing I can't deal with. There are times when I get that "something is missing" feeling or I get a little agitated but those are fewer and fewer and easier and easier to get through. Next big milestone I"m shooting for is a month now, I know - day by day, true of course, but I like to set bigger goals. And I still have a ton of this stuff in the house, my wife takes it also but believe me, she does need it for a serious condition. Even being within reach, it's not even something I think about reaching for. That extreme determination to stay off has overcome me and that seems to be more powerful this time around, I've never been so determined to stay off of them. I'm thinking about hitting some NA meetings next week just as an additional step. I'll check in from time to time. I found out that keeping busy has been the key to success, when my mind is occupied, I don't think about the W/D symptoms.
I've been reading your posts. I have to go to a very important series of meetings for work and want to get off vicodon, I've been taking 4 a day for three months. I've got to quit. I know I could manage my pain if I really tried, but I don't have any will power. Maybe if I cut it down to 2 tomorrow for two days and then 1 for two or three days I could be off on the day of travel. Do you think or should I take a couple with me just to keep me from jumping around?
4 a day is a pretty low dose AND 3 months isn't that bad - doesn't mean you don't have a problem, but it does mean the WD should be quick and less painful than many other experience. I was a Director in a large company and was taking a ton of these things for many years, in fact I couldn't function unless I was on them. Try cutting down but take halves throughout the day. You mighthave some discomfort, but will be able to function and won't be having major WD. A taper method is best, 4 for several days or a week, then 3.5 for a week, etc. A doctor can help you taper best, but if you don't want to talk to a doctor, I understand, I sure don't want to talk to mine about my problem.

But I hit 21 days clean today - cold turkey! Felt great all day and last night was the first night I've slept well without an aid.
Day1 -  I have been taking Norco aka Vicodin for 8 months straight.  Today I ran out.  My pharmacy will not refill my script.  They said it's too early.  I can get a refill on the 4th of April.  Would it even be worth me getting a refill?  I really do go through pain everyday of my life.  I have severe back back , and now my joints have been a huge issue for the past 3 weeks.  I have no insurance, so I've just been getting refiil after refill from my doctors.  It's been 12 hrs. since my last dose.  I am already sweating and aching all over.  I'm trying to keep myself busy.  I guess my biggest concern would be my daughter.  I'm nursing her.  My family doctor said that I could while taking Norco.  I'm afraid that she's going to experience W/D.  I am so scared.
Well, I broke down and had a glass of wine.  It's helping.....for now.  I'm just afraid of what's to come.  I have formula for my baby, which I'm going to have to give her.  It breaks my heart because I enjoy the time we spend together nursing.  I'll just have to "pump and dump" when ever I have a glass.  I wish my dr. never perscribed be Vicodin.  But what can I do about that now.  It did help with my pain though.  Now sure of what I'm going to do about the constant pain now, though.  Wish I had someone here, in person , next to me.
Day three - God please help me.  I have no motovation, I am soooooo depressed.  I HATE THIS.  I feel so alone.   All I can do is cry.  Just had my first panic attack.  I want to screem.
Stay busy, try to exercise, and take plenty of vitamins. I hit day 26 today and believe me, it gets better and better! Good luck and I'll pray for you, I promise!
Hi All,

Many of your posts have helped me to understand my addiction and try to fight past my struggles with these pills, so I figure I will share my story for those of you that read this and can relate to what I have gone through and what I am going through now. This will be my 2nd time quitting these things, and so far the WDs the 2nd time around is not REMOTELY close to what I went through the first time.

Taking pills, for me, started as more of a social thing. My friends and I would head out to bars and clubs and always pop a few vicodin during the night. It was strictly a weekend thing, and I NEVER thought I could get hooked on these. I NEVER took them during the week, only weekends and never saw how they could be addictive.

Well, fast foward to 3 years ago, and for some unknown reason, I started popping these things every day, after work on the weekdays, and at whatever time on the weekends. I dont know if I was looking for an escape, or just some stress relief. At my worst I was taking about 4-5 10/325 vics per day. I understand that this may be "peanuts" compared to what others are taking, but this was enough for me to become addicted.

I never had a script, I would always buy them off the street. About 1 1/2 years ago, I ran out of pills one day and all of my connects were dry. So unintentionally I quit cold turkey. The feeling was HORRIBLE. By the end of the first day I had a "fire" burning inside of my belly, I CRAVED taking a pill. My nose was runny, eyes watery, bad diarrhea and I was sneezing constantly. Night time was the worst, when I layed down my legs ached, my chest hurt from anxiety, and I could not get comfortable. I could not sleep fully for 4 days, and when I did fall asleep, it felt as though I would wake up every 30 minutes and toss and turn. I dont think I slept pass 5:30 am on any of those days . After about the 5th day I started feeling better, still a bit off and down in the dumps, but better, more "normal". But unfortunately my "clean" living only lasted about 10 days and I started popping these things again.

Which leads me to PART 2 of my addiction:

So now I have been taking these pills every day for the past 1 1/2 years. I decided two weeks ago that I have had enough. I am sick of spending my $$ on these things. Every time I take a pill I feel as though I am eating money. I am also sick and tired of being a "slave" to these pills. My everyday functioning is dependent on pills. Everytime I go to a family function or any kind of event I have to make sure I have enough pills on me to "survive: And lastly, the high just isnt doing it for me anymore. When I first started using, the euphoria I felt seemed like gods gift to me. I LOVED these pills. But now, they have lost their luster, they have made me practically hate myself for depending on them and controlling my life. Every night I went to bed depressed, telling myself that I will stop the next day, but the next day came and I would pop my pill or two in the morning with my coffee (man I used to love my coffee and vic in the morning!). Well it took me quite a while to stop but:

Here I am today, 3 days ago I took one 10/325 pill. So I have been fully clean for 2 days. The first day, surprisingly wasnt too bad until it was bed time. Thats when the bad muscle cramps and anxiety set in. I didnt think I was gona fall asleep, but luckily I had some Motrin PM and Melatonin which helped. I wouldnt say that i got a full nights sleep, I woke up a few times, but i was able to sleep. Day 2 has been relatively easy, just feel a bit down, and keep getting the chills every so often. But the past two days I have been able to do my normal daily routine no problem. I have even gone to the gym the past 2 days, something that I could NOT have imagined doing the last time I was in withdrawals.

Maybe day 3,4,5 will be much worse, but at this point I do not think it will be cause my WDs the first time I quit were much much much worse by now. I think a major difference has been the fact that I have been working out regularly for the past few months, I am taking daily vitamins, drinking a bunch of water, and eating much better. I was not doing any of these the first time I quit. Another difference is that I did a "mini tapering", I reduced my daily intake from roughly 4 pills a day down to a full week of 2.5 pills per day before I quit. I did feel some slight WDs during those days but maybe it has aided me now.

Since the physical part has been much better than expected, I must focus on the mental part. Most of my daily routine and daily activites were associated with being high. I would love popping a pill and watching sports, movies, being at a party high, going to the gym high, waking up in the morning and popping a pill and drinking coffee, doing housework high. Its sad, but pretty much everything was associated with being high on pills. This may be the toughest battle, but I am ready to fight it.

Just always know that you cannot take these pills forever. You will either go broke, lose your family, or even your life. So why delay the inevitable.

Pills no longer have room in my life. I am now ready to turn the page and move on. I wish all of you the best of luck.

Hello all,

First of all i would like to say congrats to anotheroldrocker! That is great, and i would like to know how things are going for jhart80 today
my heart definetly goes out to this woman.
Ok and now for me, i have been taking vicodin for about a year now i dont take much only a half of a 750 4 or 5 days a week so i never thought i could become addicted on such a small amount. Well ive come to realize i was wrong! I have stopped for 3 days in the past but my body would still experience W/D symptoms cramps, diarrea, it was terrible. This time it has been 5 days i am wondering how long before the body aches go away? I want to take a vic for the pain...i mean its never ending, you feel pain you take a pain pill. I do not plan on taking any pills today only my vitamins. Just hoping the sorness ends soon!
Thanks! Tomorrow will be a full month clean (30 days), but it hasn't been easy. I have meds within reach at home (my wife does need them for a serious condition). I still don't sleep well at night even though most of the leg cramps have gone away, but I sleep for about 2 hours and then wake up and toss and turn the rest of the night. I'm trying not to take Ambien anymore like I did at first which helped. I do take an over the counter with Valerian and Melatonin but that only seems to work to get me to sleep, not keep me there. So I am tired a lot. Not to give more info than anybody wants to hear (lol), my bowels are not back to normal, I'm having to take fiber and other over the counter stuff to keep me "regular." I went the entire day yesterday though without a thought of meds or cravings, the first day I've done that and I felt great all day. I guess I shouldn't expect miracles after 10 yrs of using the stuff and I know it will take time to get everything back to normal, but the really hard part is over - these other issues are a breeze compared to the first couple of weeks!
Hi there I a have been reading everyone's posts and it has been helping me.  Although I need a few suggestions and advice.
I started taking vicodin when I had a rootcanal and thought they were pretty cool but never addicted,   and if someone offered one to me I would take one here or there a couple of years ago probably went  a year without taking any then I started taking them occasionally  then I stareted taking them everyday for the last 4 months and 2 to 4... I have gone a couple of days without taking any and experinced the vomitting and muscle aches then I  started taking them again because I did not realize that isnomia was one of the side effects and just thought I was okay.  But when I really realized it was time to quit and I did not want to live my life like this I tappered off and was okay until the night of day 2 and got off work that night and just wanted a good night sleep so I took tyenol pm which had the opposite effect and stayed awake all night until I took 2 niteqyle gel tabs which I was able to sleep for a couple of hours...not realizing that this was one of the side effects....
anyway I am having trouble sleeping still, I took my last consecutive 1/2 pill the 14th of april then could not sleep so i took one on the 17 and then 1 one the 18..(not realizing insomina was a side effect just thought that I was stressing out because I was not sleeping) anyway I finally got some ambien and slept like a baby on monday I did wake up once but took another ambien and went right back to sleep, then on tuesday I only slept for and couple of hours with the ambien..... anyway SORRY i AM RAMBLING I HAVE NOT SLEPT FOR A WHILE. my question is I started detoxing on the 14th but took a couple since then, randomly when will the relieve come witht he sleeping portion.  PLEASE HELP I JUST NEED A GOOD NIGHT OF SLEEP. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AMBIEN, TRAZODONE AND AVITAN NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK, THEY DO SEADATE ME THOUGH.  I NEED HELP
Man, I've been clean about month after 10 yrs of hard core use, and I still don't sleep well. It's part of kicking the habit. Some nights I do better than others. Only Ambien would keep me asleep more than 6 hours, but I didn't want to become dependent on it so I have stopped. I sleep about 3 hours total a night, maybe 4 if I'm lucky. Just try to rest when you can and on weekends, I had a good nap last sat and that made all the difference in the world, at least you don't have the severe leg cramps and RLS that I experienced and others experience when they stop. I take Melaonin/Valerian, if I take a Benadryl, that is a cocktail that usually works well. I take the Benydril mainly because of severe allergies at night, not for sleep. Good luck! I'm actually really sleepy right now!
I have been taking Perc 10/325  for 1 year and 4 months steady. On and off since the age of 19. I am 43. I have tried the cold turkey thing and by day 3 I cave call in a script or call "A Friend" for them. I have beat just about every drug I was ever addicted to but this one. I even beat OxyContins I was taking in 2007 30 mg 3 times a day but with the help of Methodone. I have called every Center for drug free living in Orlando, Fl. and they are booked for a simple evaluation until  May 21st. I have been told that if you go to the doctor that is Prescibing the pain killers and tell him you  want off that he will prescribe methodone??? I have been taking 1 mg Xanax (zanax) twice daily for 6 years NEVER once have I abused my amount. I was prescribed them due to severe anxiety and yes I tried everything before taking them. I had an Idiot for a doctor back in 2000 and would prescribe me antidepressants llike Prozac to Paxil even if I had a mild case of insomnia. left him found another doctor he started me on atenolol (Tenormin) social phobia, imipramine (Tofranil) panic, depression, generalized anxiety until i finally went to a psychiatrist and He LISTENED to me for over 2 hours my first visit. He then prescribed them and I have lived a productive life...Until I started with the oxy's in 07 as a recreational high...then in one week i was hooked. Like I said in the begining of this I stopped with the help of methodone. Then, like the addict I am and always have been started having horrible pains in my hands and knee's.  a  friend ( met thru drugs) started selling me her percs. At first I was as all addicts , started taking about 20 a week with in a matter of months I have to take 3 to 4 at one time now I take up to 18 in a day IF i have a large quantity. I can't believe how hard it is to get help. I have insurance that covers addiction but they are at full capacity so I tried for the past 2 days with out then broke down and went this morning and picked up 11...which are all gone and it is now 1:30 eastern time. I rationalize, bargin and barter in my mind and ALWAYS loose. My question is does anyone know if I should even bother to contact my doctor, explain to him I want help..would he give a dam or kick me to the curb then I loose my prescription for Xanax as well?? I am scared and I do not know what to do...Even a methodone clinic won't help because I have to pass a urine test in order to get them and Xanax will show up and then i loose there help. Its not fair to be punished for one medication that has helped me in order to get off the ones that are killing me????
so I am on day 5 of no vicodin feeling pretty good but still a little funny in the head, not so much that I want to take another pill (beause I do not want to go through this again) but still a little fuzzy in my head.  my husband and I was going to go out to dinner tonight to get my mind off of things and not sure if I should have a drink or not, before my pill popping days I would have a drink or two after work sometimes more on the weekends... just not sure if having a drink would mess with my head more... what do you guys think
Hi!  I would not drink for several reasons.  The main reason is that you do not want to have to fight another addiction!  The other is that drinking while still in acute WD will only make you feel worse!  You don't need that right now.  

I would skip it!!!  Go out and have fun though.  You deserve it!  Congrats on getting clean.

TH
I can't tell you all how much your comments are helping me.  After staying up all night again (fourth day after quitting the vic -- was on it for about 18 months) this information is incredibly helpful.  Of course, knowing you are not alone helps a lot, too.  Thank you, all, and good luck and keep working at it!
I made my decision that I am going to white knuckle it...this is going to be so very hard...but my son is loosing his mom to Pills and I will not allow that..I have had enough. Tired of working to buy pills...tired of running out and feeling like crap for a day or two then BAM...they're back in my hands to my mouth. I have to learn to deal with LIFE and every thing that comes with it-clean-without meds in my system masking the pain. I want to take walks with my husband and son again feel the sun and wind in my face as apposed to being bed ridden. This is the road I CHOOSE and now I have to rewrite the pages of my life. I will beat this we ALL Will..!!!!!
morning of day 6 and feeling okay didnt sleep well again last night... just waiting for a good night sleep again.... I have tried valieran and ambien and sleepytime tea... nothing seems to work.  I am hoping this weekend will be better.... Also i went to my doc and he told me I might be bi- polar or manic depressed... I don't think so I think that the vicodin really messed my head up and don't want to take anyother drugs... cause I was fine before I took the vicodin, it just made me feel good, happy to do the house work and to take care of the kiddos, just wondering when I will start to feel a little normal again.  Also I read on here that there is a direct correlation with the detox period and the amount of time on the drugs, if so accoring to some users I should be good my now...
I have been generic vicodin (hydrocodone 50/500) for about 3 years. I have severe shoulder pain. Have had 3 surgeries on my shoulder. It is not healed fully and the pain is pretty intense. I need a 4th, but it's hard to get a doc to do it. Anyhow, I took anywhere from 6-12 a day, but mostly took about 9, cause taking more made me very moody. I HATE having to take them. As everyone knows, the longer you take a certain dose, the more you need to take in order for it to have the same effect. I did a cold turkey withdrawal in Nov 2008 and it was bad. I stopped again because I ran out thursday, april 29. I have been lucky to sleep, since I have prescribed Trazadone. I have klonpine and take 1/2 pill. I have a little anxiety, I think more because tomorrow I go to work, it's my 4 day off. I also haven't had the sweats to bad, just a little dizziness and out of sorts. Anyone else been through this? My doctor is horrible and I hate contacting her about this, as I get a total lecture. I understand if I had substance abuse before, but I have never had any type of addiction. I take it to help be able to work and not live with pain 24/7. I am almost to the point I can't drive long distance even with the pain meds. I don't mind going through going off of them, like a lot of people, I don't like going through the withdrawal and then figure out how to deal with the pain. If anyone could let me know what they think my next few days will be like that would be great. Thank you!
        I've had 3 failed low back surgeries(fusion at S1-L5), I took Oxycontin for a year and went cold turkey one day as the Oxy was making me very depressed(chemical side effect), I felt back to normal after 3-4 days but still had alot of back pain.
       At that point I had Norco 10/325's and took 4-6 a day for 2 years, I decided to get off them cold turkey(stupid idea, ween yourself off!) and felt like poop for 3 days(hid in my apt.), couldn't sleep, shoulder muscle spasms, RLS etc. and generally felt like crap...
      Now 8 years later I've been taking 1-2 10/325 Norco's a day(I break them in 1/2) and long lasting NSAIDs and Valium sometimes for breakthrough pain, with beer and weed chasers in the evenings, I'm quitting the Hydrocodone completelly now as I don't have medical Ins. anymore(settled the WC case) and am going with the weed and beer Rx(way better side effects!) munchies and pee abit more than usual, better than the Opiate heebee geebies!
       My advice to anyone with Vicodon/Norco/Hydrocodone/Oxy withdrawal issues is to gradually ween yourself off over a few weeks/one month period, then stop them all together and try weed or booze or OTC Ibuprofin/Motrin(take w/food!) and not huge amounts!.
       For me the bad withdrawals only lasted 3-4 days then I was back to normal but still with the chronic pain, I deal with it now smoking weed and drinking beer in small to moderate quantities, I still take a 1/2 a Norco now and again for bad breakthrough pain.
       The worst for me was the Norco withdrawals by far! but it only lasted 3-4 days tops then I was back to normal ie: with a bum back...
       Good luck to all with these real life issues!...        
I simply can't do this. But admire all of you who can. I am truly moved by your courage and strength.
Hi rissy dont give up....many try this more the once b/4 they get it right you may have to take a differt approach tapering off gradually works if the withdrawals are to much for you to handle all at once you could try that if you need help just ask I can help you work out a taper that will work for you....good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
Went cold turkey 7 days ago from 12-18 10mg vics a night. I would always wait till i got home from work and then it was on and poppin for about 4 hours. 12-18 in 4 hours.... I just got fed up with always focusing on where i was gonna get the next script. And ive been doing this for 6 years. I just made up my mind used the Thomas Recipe which you can google (did not use the benzos though) and on this 7th day i can actually say I feel good for once. The best thing I did was cold turkey to remind me why I should never take them again. Plus with suboxone you will have to off of too and I didnt want another vise. GOOD LUCK
Well, I ended up getting a refill.  I have an appointment with my Pain Specialist on Tuesday.  He's a real jerk, though.  I want to talk to him about getting off these things.  I don't think the conversation's going to go well, though.  I called my family doctor to see if he'd get me on a taper schedule (he's the one who got me started on these things), and his nurse calls back and tells me that he doesn't feel comfortable helping me with this situation seems how he's already refered me to a speciaist.  She suggested rehab.  1. I have no insurance 2. I have a newborn to take care of 3. I know I can stop this with help from a doctor.  I've done other stupid "street things" in the past and was able to stop no problem.  All I want is moral support and a doctor to guide me and understand.  We'll see how that goes on Tuesday.  My daughter didn't have any problems when I stopped taking them for 3 days.  I have been giving her cereal at night, and nursing her 2-3 times a day.  The rest of her feedings is formula.  It breaks my heart not to nurse her as much.  She is my world, and as I mentioned before, I truly enjoy the bond her and I share and the "us" time we have when I nurse her.  I've never gone through W/D before, and when I did, it was hell.  So now I know what is to come when I run out this time......Terrified.  Every time I take my Vic...I look at the bottle, seeing fewer and fewer pills.  I plan on driving 10hrs to see my Grandmother at the end of the month.  I don't know if it'll be safe for me to do so if I'm going through w/d with my daughter in the car.
I hope everything works out for you just keep trying to get help. What state do you live in? Most states offer insurance for free with small co-pays....just dont give up! Oh and happy belated mothers day!
Hi there, just wanted to let you know that you can do it.  After about a week you will start to feel better.  I am on day 17 and feel great, lots of energy and my head is clear...although I am still not sleeping normal yet ( I don't know when that will come back hopefully soon)  I went through panic attacks and all that, my doctor gave me avitan and that really helped.  You can do it.  GOOD LUCK
I am detoxing from Percocet and Vicodin after about 3 months of use to get through hip pain and then hip surgery. I have been down to 1/2 -1 vicodin for the past few days and today have not had any. I am somewhat queasy, anxious, having trouble sleeping. I have found a lot of relief from a product called natural calm which is a powdered magnesium supplement. I take just a tsp a day and it does relieve restlessness, constipation, anxiety and aches. Just a suggestion in hopes it might help someone else too. You can order it online, just google Natural Calm supplements.
Update: three days later, my queasy feeling is diminishing although not entirely gone. Insomnia is better, emotions much better. I am getting through it and it's not pleasant but it is doable. Just thought I'd post an update to encourage others! You can do it!
hey guys i have been on tabs for around 4 years but this past year I have taken a huge amount, the #10s and even though i have good reason to take them i can not stand it any longer. I've gone cold turkey plenty of times before because i always run out early, but this time I've made my mind up when i realized that the pills just don't help with the pain anymore and i need to feel normal again even if I have to live with the pain. Today is day 2.5 and like usual it's been hell, but... this time i tried something different. a friend of mine told me to try pot, not to smoke it but bake it into food because it has more of a time release affect. I know pot is bad, but what else can you take that will help but not cause additional W/D? I have had a much easier time getting off tabs this time because of it, it still ***** i still can't sleep and i have the runs and RLS but i can tolerate it way better.
the way i go through W/D is the first 2 days are the worst and after day 4 things get noticeably better.

PLEASE don't take other pills that you'll just have WD with later, taper off or do it cold turkey, and use what ever herbal remedy you can find and pray that God will get you through this.    
I haven't posted in a while thought I'd provide an update: today is day 50 clean! Things are pretty normal now, I am sleeping at night and my intestinal track is regular lol. In fact I've been motivated to now move forward with my severe nicotine habit and kill it (I've been hooked on the gum for 5 years). Almost two weeks on the level 1 patches, about to move to level 2 - cut down method instead of the cold turkey like I did on the opiates. It was super hard to kick, but after about 35 days it really started to normal out. Sure I'll get a little thought about it now and again but I don't let it bother me and in fact I go for days without even thinking about it. Folks, as hard core addicted I was for as many years as I was (always an addict though), if I can quit, so can you.
It has been 2 months since I quit a 3-year Vicodin habit. (cold turkey)  I initially started because of a severe injury but continued to use after healing as it allowed me to cope with the stress of work and family.  I took one tablet a day for a long time but eventually got up to 10.   I am a respected professional in my town so the guilt associated with the addiction was overwhelming - I decided to quit.  Coming off cold turkey was as others have described quite unforgetting.  (which is good)  
The part I did not see coming was the intense depression.  Vicodin was my coping mechanism for stress so  now feel now that I cannot go on.   I really find that enjoy very little about life.  Here I am over two months clean and I still think about it all the time – especially when things get tough.   I really want to tune out.  I find that I think about how much I hate life all of the time and no matter how hard I try, I cannot fill the void that remains.
Any suggestions?
I'd recommend a couple of things - and I used to suffer from depression but the older I've gotten it doesn't bother me much any more, point being I understand it. And my wife suffers from severe depression and has for years. You made the right choice, being clean is the first step and be proud of that. Secondly and this is the toughest thing when depressed -- try to eat better and get a little exercise. I'm slowly getting better with that myself. Next, go to a doctor and discuss the symptoms and get on some meds if you and the doc feel its the right thing. I used to take an anti-depressant and it worked wonders. My wife has been on them for years, they do help her as well. Medicine is good if taken properly and for the right reasons. Just be aware, the first two weeks on most antidepressants is not pleasant, you feel strange but after a couple of weeks the levels get into your system and they start to work correctly. After all that, you may need even need more counseling but I'd start out with other things first. Good luck! I'm at day 56 clean today by the way and feel awesome.
I've posted before, and it helps to know there are people out there that have gone through this, so here I am yet again, and hope there are people out there to talk me through this again.
I have no choice but to quit cold turkey.  I have 3.5 pills left.  I called my doc, he said that he will no longer treat me, as I have broken our "contract".  I know what to expect, as I have gone through this before for 3 days.  Tomorrow will start day one.  This time, I will have my father here for support.  I hope it goes well for me.  He (my father) has never been through any of this before himself and says to me that it's all in my head.......I wish it was.  He will arrive here today around 6pm, and leave Tuesday.  Anyone know how long the WD acutally last for?  I want my life back, but I want to know how long will this take?
Hi jhart,

Glad to hear you are working to get clean. You won't regret it.

I am happy to talk with you about this and there are many others that will do the same and stay with you through the physical withdrawal. It makes it easier knowing that there are people to support you and who will not judge you.

Before we start talking, do yourself a favor. Go to the top of this page and hit the green "Post A Question" button. Copy and paste what you have here and start your own thread. This one is from 3 years ago. It is long and it confuses people as to who they are talking to. Not only that, it will return to archives rather quickly if it is accidently over looked. If you need help, just ask. I will be around for a bit and happy to help you.

See you in the forum!
MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON VICODEN CAUSE SHE COULDN'T FIND OUT WHAY I WAS HAVING REALLY BAD CHEST PAINS.. HEART ATTACK SYMPTOMS.. I ONLY BEEN ON IT FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AND I DIDNT LIKE THE FACT THAT I WAS GETTING IMMUNE TO THEM... I STOPPED A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT I HAD BAD STOMACH PAINS WITH LOOSE BOWEL MOVEMENTS AT LEAST 5 TIMES A DAY... SO I WOULD TAKE AT THE MOST 2 A DAY ONE IN THE MORNING AND THEN MAYBE ANOTHER IN THE EVENING... I FINALLY DECIDED TO GO COLD TURKEY.. THE FIRST DAY I STARTED TO HAVE STOMACH PAINS BUT INSTEAD OF WAITING I WENT TO THE ER AND TOLD THEM I THINK I WAS WITHDRAWING FROM VICS SO HE GAVE ME IMODIUM.. IT STARTED WORKING INSTANTLY AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY STOMACH PAINS SINCE... I AM ON DAY 3 OF NO VICS AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY STOMACH PAINS OF LOOSE BOWELS... I TAKE ALEVE FOR HEADACHES AND ZOLOFT FOR DEPRESSION.. THE ONLY SYMPTOM I CONTINUE TO HAVE IS YAWNING.. I CAN'T STOP YAWNING... LOL.. BUT I FINALLY FEEL MYSELF GETTING BACK TO NORMAL...
I am on a 10-12 pill a day habit for 2-3 years that has been made all too easy by an incompetent "Pain management " doctor.
He believed that you should not ever be in pain and was treating me for Migraines and neck pain. This is fine but he really didn't consider the addiction aspect of what he was proposing.
I was just happy to get some relief from the pain, but now I can't take how I feel from the medication so I am choosing to go cold turkey. I have cut down to 6/day now and will be quitting completely tomorrow.

All I can say is that I could not even get out of bed without taking the pills in the morning and laying there and waiting a while for them to let me feel "normal". This is not a normal way to live and I can't do it any more.
I have the vitamins and minerals and amino acid that are recommended by the Thomas Recipe and I also have a script for Klonopin which should help me sleep.
Wish me well.
I have been taking 1-2 vicodin pills a day for at least 6 months.  I was buying them on the street and taking them for 'recreational uses.' I have decided enough is enough and I need to stop.  I am on day 2 and I am just starting the feel sick from the withdrawal.  From what I have read, it seems like I will have a week or two of this.  I was just wondering if you can share with me the benefits of stopping vicodin so I can have motivation to turn too for those moments when I really feel like taking one.
I don't think you will suffer that long at all . I was taking 2 or 3 , 10/500 almost every day and I was sick maybe 3 days max ! Now let hope the phycological effects treat you as well . As far as the motivation factor ! How about not spending 2 or 3 months in anxiety Hell if you stopped after working up to say 10 or 20 ! Best of luck to you ..Jimmy
does anyone else get the stabbing pains in their stomach when u don't take the vicodins?  i've been trying to get off of them but like everyone else i have the coldsweats, restless leg syndrome, can't sleep, and am extremely irritable, & oh yeah, can't forget about the diarrhea. the biggest thing for me tho is i feel like someone is constantly stabbing me in the lower stomach...the pain is so bad that i lay in bed curled upl in the fetal position crying like a baby.  i'm 28 yrs old and have 2 kids...i know what pain is iv'e gone thru labor...this is by far the worst pain i have ever felt in my entire life.  is there any suggestions on how to get rid of the stomach pain???? please help!!!! i hear that when u go to rehab they give u xanax to come off opiates...however, they make me fall asleep, but honestly i'd rather feel lazy and sleepy for a week just to not have to go thru this pain.  i don't worry about getting addicted to other things bc i take my vicodins as perscribed but ive been taking them for 2 yrs now so it's really hard for me to come off of them. any advice at all plz tell!
You started another post just a bit ago and you have a response already and will get more. It would be easier for you if you stay in the other post. Good luck.
sorry i'm new here and have never posted on a forum before...how do i get back to that post??? lol
No problem. Here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/withdraw-symtoms/show/1269386

At any time you can scroll to the top of the page and hit the blue "Back to Forum" button. If you need anything else, just yell!
i have been on norco,vics, combined. 2norco 2vics +1/2norco every 6 hrs.  i started 5 years ago with just 4 vics a day now i am up to this.[i had foot surg. and they cut a nerv ,and fem promblems really bad, i want off them really bad .  i have been trying to cut back slowley but its really hard. i have been cutting the 1/2 in 1/2 that tuff wd onthat little are hard tomorrow i am getting rid  of the 1/2 i am really scared.  need some suport and tlc from someone out there that i can do this and it will get better,  from SCARED
he mentioned "life" nine times in his post 0-o
Ive been taking vicodens about 8 or 11 ah day and other opiades for the past 3 months & while i was on it i made so much bad decision im only 21 & it kills me understand that i have to depend on the substance to do anything productive, I stopped on wedsday at about one o clock and im doing pretty well due to the fact that i ween off it, But i really need everyones help understanding how much longer this will last because it been three days and im feeling alot better, but i need to know what can i do now to overcome the need for it anymore, and how much longer do i have to wait, thanx everyone god bless
First i want to say welcome to the forum, also you should post a question on you own thread,  Nobody will see your post this way. You need to go to the top of the forum where it says post a question. I might say ask a question, but that is where you need to go to ask your question.  This way you will get some help and get a lot of input
Good luck
Lisa
Jacksonville,FL
I have been taking vicidin for about 1 year ad 8 months..due to an injury, I crushed my ankle into peices. Ankle all healed now. I only got up to 4 a day when I was taking them. I tappered down dramatically over the past 6 months to the point of I would only take a half of a half like 3 times per day. so not even a whole one. I stopped taking them completely now for like 4 days.. I am VERY light headed and wondered is that normal? I do get the chills some and feel extremely tired. Headaches and nausia.. I was concerned about the nausia and light headedness.. I was getting light headed even before I stopped.. I didn't think it would be so bad because I was hardly taking any for awhile now.. I am going to doctor tomorrow to make sure this nausia and dizziness isn't a heart issue. Does anyone else have the dizziness? kinda feels like a floaty feeling.. Scared and need answers? From reading all these post, I am horrified now to take vicidin, I never dreamed this would happen to me..
Newby to this site, but not to the vics. I started taking them for sleep like a fool and couldn't stop, I take 4-6/day. Get them from a friend. So badly wanna quit, but like EVERYBODY is saying...it's hard! I took only one today. I had a slammin hot flash that wouldn't quit. I feel sorry for my little boy because I get so aggitated, so quickly. I have to stop and think of why I'm upset. Is it at him, or is it at me. Most of the time I'm aggitated from not having those stupid pills. I think of life, and how it was BEFORE those stupid pills came into my life, and I just wanna feel normal again. You know what? I'm terribly frightened of the withdrawals. I don't like alcohol, therefore I will not use it to console myself. My energy is low, but my little boy is constantly asking me for things and getting on my nerves. I need some alone time to do this. I work everyday, a RN, go figure! Was on my way to get some more vics tomorrow, but I'm really hoping to stop myself. This site, and hearing these stories is a great motivator. Especially that guy that was so hardcore and now he's ok. That's all I wanna be...is ok. Wish me luck and please prey for me. This page is just a big ol honesty page, and I love it. Very grateful..Good luck and I'll keep you all in my prayers.
Welcome to the forum! You have posted on an old post from 2007, Copy and paste your post and put it in a new one. Hit the green 'post a question' button then paste it in. Quitting is hard, but you can do it. Many of us have, you can too.
Its day 3 for me and I'm feeling the worst of it.I have had 7 back surgeries,my most recent being in April I have only been on norco 5/325 this time for 3 months the first time I was on them for 3 yrs it took 3 weeks for the anxiety to go away,Im hoping its all over soon I have 3 kids to take care of on my own.
So I read almost every post on this entire thread...even from 2007, and I hopefully can get some help.

I started popping vics 10MG/325 Norc's about 2-2 1/2 years ago.  Me and my friends would call them "pharmecuetical sundays" and we would pretty much take vics and watch football.  It was GREAT!!  I woke up on Mondays almost feeling sick from the vics so I wouldnt even think of taking them the next day.  I would work all week, go out with my friends on fridays and saturdays and then just eat Vic's on Sundays.  It was perfect...didnt affect my friends, health or pocketbook. (buying them from a dealer- no script). Then...

I was laid off in August of 2008 and was put on unemployment and at the same time my best friend (who was also in on pharmecuetical sundays) was also laid off.  We both got unemployment...COULD NOT FIND A JOB, and basically got bored.  1 day a week turned into 2, 2 turned into 3 and at the time never got more than maybe 4 days a week.  We had a rule that we wouldnt do them 2 days in a row...to avoid getting addicted.   We were really good about that and when our guy would be out for a couple of days and W/D's NEVER an issue.  Then...

In February 2009 after being pretty good about my pill intake I slipped on the ice (Chicago) and tore up my hip.  I have a torn labrum and bone spur that needs to be removed.  I got a script for the pain in February and it was also great...at first!!  I wasnt spending as much money because I was getting them through insurance at my new job (landed Sept. 09).  But since then it has been a real struggle with what I know I SHOULD do and what I CRAVE to do.

We here I am in July...my hip surgery is August 19th and I dont know what to do. I get 30 10/325's for a week and a half...they normally last 3-4 days.  After that I call my dealer and get more if need at 6/dollars a pill. Here I am spending a TON of money...waking up craving vics and I havent even had my surgery yet!!

My dealer recently got busted...this is day 3 for me and it had been tough. Restless legs, chills, hot flashes, diahrrea etc...

Any advice for how to handle my impending surgery and the inevetible fact that I will NEED these after my surgery.  Please advise.  Thanks and good luck out there!!!
Hi All,
I'm also addicted to Vicodin and was rushed to the hospital this morning because of the withdraws. I have had two surgerys, Arthiritis in the spine, nevrve damage and scare tissue on both nerve roots running down both legs. I stopped and took my last one on Saturday July 31st. I was driving into work this morning and had blurred vision where I couldn't see very good. I'm going through vicious withdraws right now sick as many mentioned above and more. I'm in a position where eihter I take the meds? or I go through my pain. I really believe this is going to kill me either way.
I've been taking Vicodin for the past ten or so years for chronic pain after I broke my back while serving in the military. Five years ago, I was also prescribed MS Contin (morphine, 60 mg a day) that I took for about three years. I discontinued the morphine on my own two years ago and went through chills, sweats, diarrhea, what have you. The symptoms subsided after ten days or so. No big deal! I continued taking Vicodin, though, at a rate of 1.5 - 3 a day (7.5/500) and rarely 4, depending on the severity of the pain. The idea is to keep the pain at bay to function in daily life. I am currently on vacation and have been taking a half pill a day for the past three days (playing it safe as I am not under a doctor's care for going cold turkey) to determine the extent of the pain I am still in. It's excruciating, to say the least. I will have to increase the dosage today so that I can reasonably move through life again. So ... to all of you who think the drug should be illegal: it's a well known fact that people who don't NEED the opiates are the ones who get addicted to them. For those of us who need them to FUNCTION in daily life, they are a blessing. In the ten years I've taken them, I've not once took more - or wished to take more than I was prescribed. In fact, I've taken as little as I could get away with, while getting my Master's degree and getting out of bed for the past three years to teach at a local university. Fact is, withdrawal symptoms are unavoidable with opiates. If your pain is manageable without them, accept that you will have sweats, chills, diarrhea, nausea, insomnia, etc. for a few days. Most drugs, including antidepressants, will affect you in some way after you take them for years and then discontinue them.
I am also a person who has taken vicodin / percocet / oxy / norco / lortab etc... for the past several years and have successfully stopped "on my own".  I put that in quotes because it wasn't really on my own at all.  There is a reason that any rehab / detox program only works 5% of the time and that is because they only treat the symptoms and not the problem.  Same thing I am reading over and over here in this forum.  So many people really seem to want to stop, but don't really seem to have the ability to do it.  That is because you aren't treating the core issue in your life.  The addiction isn't the problem.  The lack of Christ in your life is the real issue.  I'm sure most of you will quit reading right now and that is why you will keep struggling with not just addiction to pills, but other things in life as well.  I'm not saying following Christ is easy, because it isn't... but it certainly beats the alternative.  The thing is that you can't do it just part of the way... this is an all or nothing proposition.  You have to give Him full control of your life or continue to think you are in control.  You can see where that has gotten you so far.  I would encourage you to just give as much as you know about yourself to as much as you know about Christ and allow Him to make the increase.  Pick up a bible and start reading it... ask God to make it clear to you.  A great book out there that will help make things make more sense is a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  It is easily the best book besides the bible that I have ever read.  I encourage all of you to seek the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind, body, and soul... it is a ride you won't regret.
feel free to email me at the following address if you would really like to get serious about this life and the next:
Justin at bcoutreach.org
you can figure out the email... with the spam now a days you have to do that to keep your inbox from getting flooded.    :)

Matthew 22:36-40(NASB)
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”  
And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’  
“This is the great and foremost commandment.  
“The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’  
“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
That ***** I was in a near fatal car accident about 6months ago and lost my left leg and had lots of third degree burns I also have developed a condion that causes extra bone to grow in the soft tissue called heterotopic ossification, this causes a tremendous amount of pain! And I have seen at least seven trauma ortopeadic surgeons and only one of them even knew about it. He said that even when he takes the extra bone out there is a very small chance that the pain will subside and that I will more than likely be on narco and oxycontin for the rest of my life, and I'm only 21 and have already grown ouite a tolerance so I'm sure that they will have to up the dosage. Anyway I respect you so much for having the courage to get off of them because even if I hade the option to quit I know that I wouldn't be strong enough. Good luck and god bless you.
August 20th I took my last vicodin. I took xanez and over the counter sleeping pills at night to help me sleep. I was doing good until yesterday and I took 5 lortab. Did I totally mess up? Am I now gonna have to start the process all over again. I have been severely depressed and I dont know if I am strong enough to start all over. Help!
Yea you have to start over but it will not be as bad. I was clean for 3 years and started back up 2 years ago I am on day 8 with out anything have not sleep in days sleep one hour tonight and here I am up once more for the night. I have done this before from 5 80mg oxy a day with the needle and that was bad I was snorting 40mg oxy a day until 8 days ago. I have done this before can do it this time the only thing that worrys me I had a seziure last night and there is no one but me here hope that dont happen anymore. I will beat this stupid little pills once more but, can I keep them out of my life forever. I hate being a drug addict !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
welcome to the forum hey congrats on 8 days clean....good work on 3 yrs b/4 that
you may want to try some type of recovery care this time around N/A ana A/A have free programs ant the 12 steps work if you work them there are also addiction conslors out there for one on one help but as a general rule most people on this forum that have any major clean time have done it with aftercare...this might just be the missing ingredient for you
good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
When I got clean before went to many  NA meetings and , other meetings I dont feel to bad today I will start back with the meetings. I just have to get by the mental part of it and run away from any were there are pills cant ture them down and you know what they say one is not enough and 1,000 is to many. I know this can be done and the way I feel today I know I can do it just have to stay far away from them. And if there is anyone out there that wants off of them it can be done but wont be easy. As you know life is not easy with or without drugs.
Vicodin is like a chain saw powerful effective and a wonderful tool (med)
Like a chain saw it can do devastating damage a lot or a little it can and will hurt you if you are not supper careful!

RESPECT understand and know how to use either your chain saw or your Vicodin!

I have chronic back pain and have gotten up to using 4 10/660 per day mostly in the evening. I have been chronic about getting addicted for the last year since I got up to this level ( it was lower amount back then but I knew it was not good).

I will probably use vicodin again in my life because it can be a very useful and good medication.  

For some of us we can and do take it like a person who had a few drinks and it is seems relatively harmless and probably is if we are not using it to get High and just to manage the pain. Truth is some times I took it for the pain and a little to feel good since I needed it for the pain anyway…..(DANGER WILL ROBBINSON DANGER! LOL).

If you take it exclusively for the pain NEVER for the high you will probably not have a big problem if you are not exceeding the dosing??????

I took it 80-85% for pain and the other 15% for the happy head…..I did this for a year straight and had been doing it on and off even longer…..

Let me jump in and make a point here:
I knew I was in the gray area of addiction?????
I did not really crave the vicodin and for the most part used it for legitimate pain management. But I was using it at times for pain management with happy head!
IMHO if you seek happy head 1x per week or more you are at risk!!!!!!!
This is just my opinion but for those of us who will probably have to use Vicodin for legitimate pain control this is a big warning sign!!!!!!
My point is I am not saying never use!!!
I am saying some of us can but we must be very very carful and watch for the first signs of addiction!!!!!!!

Here is my story:

I was very Very careful about not getting hooked and on days when I did not need as much I took less…. So I was at a very low level of personal addiction at best…..BUT!my body was much more addicted than I knew!!!!!!

I had an incident last week where I had 3 drinks, I was feeling great but the back pain kicked in. I took one vic ES 7.7/750  ( I knew better than to drink and take vic I like my liver and so should you) . well I had two more drinks and I was in big trouble….
Alcohol poisoning and into the ER I went……I am almost 50……never had  an incident like this!
Once out between the of ER it has been a very long week.
I knew to whine myself off, I was able to use less than 10 mg at the most probably more like 5 mg a day…..I have not even had any cravings  for the vicodin  but between the alcohol poisoning and cutting out the vicodine My body is making me feel like $#!t …..

I consider myself very lucky that I got to this first stage of addiction and am getting off as ez as I am and I am freaking miserable!
I am lucky that I have Xanex that can help a lot ( careful that is a very addictive drug too). I got through my day never needing more than 2mg of the xanex…..

Today  one week into it I am almost half way into my day no xanax or Vic yet…..
Slow painful possess……..

To conclude my long story:
If you are a long time user of the Vic be extra careful!!!!!
Keep track of how much you take each day!
How often you use it for something other than pain control!

Naproxen ( Alive over the counter ) works well for my pain but it will eat a hole in your stomach I take it with Pepsid and lots of water.

I really need to go cut some stuff up with a chain saw now!
I will take it slow if I do it at all…..baby steps at best.

Remember the my opening :

Well one last thing to ad to that, both are indifferent to you and don’t know or care how bad they hurt you! You must be the one to be vigilant and respect and take care not to get hurt!!!!! It only takes one time to do irreparable harm and damage!
If you are lucky like me you will only feel bad for an extended time until you are able to heal and get better.

Regards,

Mike On Long Island
I hope this helps someone!

Story written from laptop on the toilet….sorry if that is too much info but this ain’t over for me yet…..be careful and good luck!

One last thing:
You really should proof read before you post here!
( Hey take it ez on me I am still recovering from vicodin addiction)
Hi Turbodmc,

Knowing that you posted this on the toilet was surely more information then I needed. Nonetheless, I just wanted to let you know that this post is from over 2 and 1/2 years ago and the person you are talking to is no longer an active member.

If you would like to ask for help in the forum you can do so by going tot he top of this page and hitting the green post a question button. Good luck!
Sorry about the TMI ( too much info)Well in my defense  it further proves the point that there is nothing attractive about addiction ….lol

I think I was trying to offer my 2 cents to anyone who may read here..
I knew I was on the brink of the addiction and I finally had an incident that caused me to cross the line and have a problem.

I hope my post offers help to not those who need or are in recovery as much as those who can hopefully avoid getting to that point.

Hope that makes sence, often people make this into a black and white use don’t use issue.
If you are going to use you must be vigilant and know the warning signs before you get into deep trouble.  

I am sure I will consume alcohol again one day ( right now ewwwww I was never much of a drinker so it is not a big deal for me one way or the other)…. I sadly will at some point need to use Vicodin for my pain again…….I have new found respect for it now that I have felt what it feels like to go through withdrawal. Withdrawal ***** and I don’t even have a bad case of it! .  

Just trying to get some personal experience to the in between people like myself.

Thank you for the reply

Mike
I have been taking 10/325s for years it started with my first MX accident and then year after year in the ER has not helped now at 47 Im broke mentally and physically I have tried to kick these things ( 4-6 per day ) with a beer here and there a few times but after the side effects I find the real PAIN never goes away... Now I have noticed that my memory seems to be effected?? I mispell words and have the hardest time remembering names and dates anyone have any thoughts
Hi Jerry,

This is Turbo the guy who posted before you I am the same age as you so I can relate.…..I have been off vicodin now for 10 days.
I have chronic back pain I think that if you can take it easy and do some other things to ease the physical pain there are non narcotic things that help…..Xanex is a great Rx that can help you through this ( careful some people get hooked on it and it may be a stronger addiction than the codeine  based stuff).

I was up to four 10/660 so I was also in the range of what you are taking….
I did not really crave the vicodin but my body sure knew when I stopped using it…

I think you have to ask yourself if you ever use to get happy head or is it just for pain?
I sort of know the answer, you need it for the pain but like the head it gives you too.

4-6 per day should not be that hard to kick if you really want to.
(The people who I pity are the 20+ per day users….man that can’t be EZ).

I guess the question I would have is this?
Are you trying to get off the stuff alone or are you willing to use more traditional ways?
I did it on my own but I did have a Doctor I was able to get guidance from.
The Xanex can help with the withdrawal issues (and also the pain  in many cases).

If you are a DIY type of guy like me and you are reluctant to get help I can make this recommendation ( I still recommend having a Dr on board, I assume you have one since you have an Rx for the stuff).

I went from 40 to less then 10 in one day and had withdrawal symptoms, I then took about 5 days of taking less than 10 mg until I was off….it sort of sucked I can tell you that.   If you are going to try to stop on your own I think the best way wld be to whine yourself off…..you didn’t start by taking 4-6 a day so don’t just assume you can stop abruptly…try to cut down ( it is not EZ) but you can o it…..get a one month pill case and at the end of the month you will be off the stuff……

If you took 6 today then tmrw only take 5  and the next day 5 max but shoot for 41/2 after 4 ½  no more than 4 you can stay there for up to 3 days but see how fast you can get to 31/2 per day max…..if you are at 3 ½  the next day only 3 shld not be that hard to do…..it is ok to stay at 3 for a few days if you have to….but now your limit is 2 ½ ….ok to stay there for a few days but goal is to me on no more than 2 per day…….you see that this is workable may have to stay at 2 per day longer than a few days but 2 is better than the 6 you where taking…… this can an will work……you will have some **** days or parts of some days will feel like **** but you can and will get through it……it feel good to get off of it….other crap in your life may still suck but welcome to life…..getting off the meds will make part of your life better…..

Good Luck sounds like you are ready, go for it and go do it….or should I say stop doing it!

Hope that helps! I just did it so I know what it is like….but I did it!
I am 51 and had been taking vicodin 10mg for serveral years. About a yr ago I noticed I could not remember some simple things. I would forget words I wanted to use in a sentence or to describe something, those simple words became hard to find. Eventually I would start to say something and forget totally what I was talking about. I thought I was getting Alzheimer's and my husband would laugh at me. Words became harder and harder to find sometimes. It took me a while before I connected with the vicodin. It was a scary thing.

I decided to get off the vicodin and get clean. It took a month or so to clear my head. Now I have found that words are coming easier and I am not losing track of my words or losing conversations. Man what a relief, I thought I honestly had Alzheimer's.

I will be honest coming off the vicodin is not a easy thing. I went cold turkey, so I am not sure about tapering, but you can expect withdrawals. After all you have been on the medicine for a long time. My withdrawals lasted about 7-10 days. My worse days being around the 5th and 6th day, then gradually I started feeling better. A lot of people have much shorter withdrawal periods with the worse peaking around the 3rd of 4th day.

Then you will have some time with insomnia for a while, but little by little you begin to feel yourself again. Lets say everyday clean the colors of a rainbow will get brighter and brighter.

Good luck to you and do some research and find out what you are facing. Coming here and reading or posting questions is a great help as you will find everyone very helpful and supportive, strong and fascinating.
Thanks I really wanted to see a reply to my post this morning I took 4 yesterday I went to rite aid on the way home and bought a weekly pill box and put 4 in for wed,thur,fri, and then 3 sat,sun,mon,tue I will see how that works because truthfully I have not really kept track when I would get my 30 day scrip I would just pop them through teh month then when i ran low I would regulate myself pretty sad really But I have noticed that I am more open and talkative after I have a norco or two?? I had a small coke problem in the 80's and if I did coke I would be very reclusive kind of strange but opiates make me talk like Im on speed ? I spoke it a counsler about my youngeest son they thought he had ADHD like everyother kid in the 90's and found that even adults with ADHD react different when given speed or downers.  Well enough about me thanks for the help lets see how the DIY and treatment works and janet19 thanks for insight that its not just me but the pills that are making me loss it.. talk to you later
to al of the people posting on this thread, the reason you arent getting any answers is that this is a very old thread. Welcome to the forum. If you go to the home page, go to ask a question, you will start your very own thread and get amazing support and advice. It will help you through this rough part of recovery. Thanks for posting and sorry you havent gotten the replies.
Ok, so did you have any trouble using only 4 today?

If you are having truble with the pain you probably can take one tylanol with the 10/325?

I have found that the tylnol is the bulk of the pain killer in the meds...the opeate tends to   make you not care as much about it...?

Like I said in the past, you didn't get to this point in one day so you can get off the stuff a little at a time the same way....I had a crap morning and I am off for more than 10 days....some times you have crap days.....so hang in there....some times the feeling that you need to take it will pass in as little as 10 min some times an hour.....but it does pass....stay strong and know that it will pass.....
I am on the sidelines and watching someone who is going through cold turkey.  I am unsure of how many vic's he took in a day, he had fever and chills yesterday, first day.  Tired and fatiuge today.  I know he is doing it for the right reasons, and we both understand it is going to be a long journey.  Asking those who went through wd, what is the one thing someone could have giving you while on the sidelines?
I Think cold turkey is the way to go. I have been addicteded twice in my life the most recent for the past six years. I was taking 6 to ten 750s per day. You will generally get sick as you withdraw as your natural antibodies need to build up. We have been replacing them with the opiates so they will need to refire. Life is much better after withdrawl. You are through the worst of it and it gets better every day. It is so easy to go back as you will miss that pick me up but your personal life, clear head and natural energy will make it all worthwhile. All the best and perseverance to us all. D
I have been an addict for 3 years.  Taking average 4-6 10/325 norcos a day.  To some peoples that's not much, however I'm a small person with a high metabolism.  If I took 3 at once I was butter on a piece of toast.  Drooling on myself playing Madden or Call of Duty on my Xbox.  I have lost my job long time ago, all of my friends.  And my wife and I are seperated.  Addiction runs in my family.  My mother has been hooked to pain pills for 23 years.  However she's had 6 different surgeries, 4 being on her back which also resulted in 2 fusions that lasted only a few years at a time.  And my father has had a long history of alcohal abuse.  My sister somehow recovered from SMOKING Oxycontin.  Sometimes I wander if she really did quit cold turkey because that stuff is HARD.  
I've tried so many things.  From taking Paxil, Lexapro, Xanax, Trazadone, even Tramadol for pain relief.  NONE of it worked for me.  I was hooked to Opiates for many reasons, not just for pain.  It was my escape.  I had so many unhappy things in my life to feel numb and not think about my mistakes I thought was helping me be a better person.  I felt that while on Vicodin I could work harder, make more money, treat my wife to little vacations and hiking trips.  I was restoring cars at an alarming rate to the point that strangers that bought my projects asked me "jokingly" if I was on drugs.  

For the last 2 years I've been fighting myself to stop taking pills.  I'll go to bed at night hating myself for taking pills thinking I can stop the next day, and before I can even put clothes on for work I was in the bathroom with pill "fix"  This is not a way to live.  I've been loaded for so long that I don't even remember what I was like BEFORE I took my first pill.  

Yesterday I ran across this board and I was amazed at the stories I read.  not only am I not alone, but there are people that are far worse off than I am that are doing the same thing.  About a year ago when my health was at its worst (not eating right and not sleeping at all) thats when I confronted my wife and tried to quit.  I lasted a whole 5 days and each day the WDs got worse and worse.  I relapsed without telling my wife and tried to pretend that I was off.  She knew though.  A few months later I moved 1,200 miles away seeking help.  (washington state wants your first born if a person doesn't have insurance)

Its been 11 months today since i moved away from my wife, and I'm still trying to quit.  I took 4 yesterday, however I read a lot of these stories and it inspired me to try new methods.  I woke up this morning knowing how difficult it was going to be.  And its hell.  I woke up at 330am and have been up since.  I've tried reading a book, watching TV.  Its amazing how sick a person can be over a pill.  I almost made it 24 hours without a pill and after my 7th trip in 2 hours to the bathroom I just couldn't handle it.  I'm weak.  I'd rather have my wife pluck the hair off my back than go through this crap.  maybe tomorrow will be better after taking 1 today (assuming) that's all I take.  That bathroom trips are just as bad as Bin Ladens biochemical warfare.  Explosive and deadly.  

The only thing that has helped me sleep a wink at night is smoking a ton of pot.  I'm replacing one drug with another I know.  But one demon at a time right?  At least the pot somewhat takes away the RLS and joint pain that I deal with at night.  I'll  be a frequent visitor to this site in hopes other peoples stories will help me get through my own.    
I have been taking Vicadin (7.5) for over 4 years. I have advanced disc and joint disease--often my discs are herniated. Also I suffer from thorasic outlet, I have a short leg (my pelvis is jacked up). I recently cut back on my meds and thought I was experiencing liver disease--my stool was liquid and bright yellow and frequent. Very depressed, exceedingly lethargic (lay in bed for ten or eleven hours, though only able to sleep fore five to six hours). I would like to quit. But my fear is the pain which the pills are designed to mask. Has anyone with extreme pain (chronic due perhaps to a disease) quit successfully only to discover that living with chronic pain is worse than living with drug addiction?
I am back after day 4 of weening off slowly.  I wasn't able to stop cold turkey as I found the withdrawls so powerful I couldn't handle it.  I went from taking an average of 5 pills to: Day 1 - 2 1/2  Day 2 - 1 1/2 (WDs worse) Day 3 - 2 1/2 (WDs killing me) Day 4 - 1 1/2.  My first 3 days of weening down has been fairly okay on the exception of Day 3.  The RLS and fatigue is what is killing me.  However in my recent experiences trying to quit I'm finding this time much easier.  Not just to ween off, but stay mentally focused and fight myself everyday to not relapse so bad.  I have been taking a ton of supplements and I have to say its helping.  Here is my list:

Kinkgo Biloba 120 mg (1 a day)
Niacin 250 mg time released (1 a day)
Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc (2 a day)
Potassium Gluconate 595 mg (1 a day)
Vitamin B12 Complex (1 a day)
Omega 3 Fish Oil 1200 mg (1 a day)
Soya Lecithin 1200 mg (1 a day)
IBProfun 800 mg (1 before I go to bed)
Nyquil (taken before bed time)

Today is the beginning of day 4.  I honestly have to say that I woke up from a fairly good night of sleep.  The RLS didn't exist at all during the night.  I woke up many times, but never in pain.  And I never had to smoke pot to fall asleep at all.  Now when I take my Vicodin its usually first thing in the morning.  In the past I've always had my daily dose by noon.  Whether it was 3-5 pills over a 5 hour stretch.  And maybe a 6th pill if I were working longer hours later in the evening.  I probably could have gone today taking nothing, or maybe just half of a 10mg Vicodin.  I had a mini relapse that I felt so good naturally that I was happy with myself enough to take a small dose of Vicodin?   My problem is I've associated my entire life around Vicodin.  

To help with the recovery I also eat one banana in the morning, and another at night.  I've loaded up on Potassium.  It makes a difference.  I have an addictive personality.  When I find something I like its hard to say no to it.  I'm not completely off the pills but I have to say weening down will make this easier.  Some people have to ween over a few weeks maybe a month... I've managed it for 4 days and already feel better.  My goal is by the beginning of day 8, wake up and take nothing.  I also think its very important to take the supplements as soon as possible along with weening down at the same time.  Dont wait.  Just do it.  You have to WANT to quit.  If you feel that you HAVE to, it won't last.  A person has to WANT this addiction gone.  That's the only way I have found for myself to quit.  

Get a hold of your life.  Be in control of yourself.  Don't let the Vicodin run your life.  Its a hard hard hard road to journey on, but there is an end to the madness.  Good luck to everyone that is trying to detox.  If you have the time to sit at home for 2 weeks, get it done and over with.  If you have kids, send them to Gma's or a close friend/family member that will help take care of them.  My mother has been taking Methadone and Vicodin for 23 years!  Honestly she's fried.  She's not the same person I remember as a child.  And she's horribly depressed.  Well overweight, lazy, constantly sick... and hermits herself in the bedroom and never comes out.  That's not a healthy acceptable way to live.  And I was on my way.  Stop as soon as you can!  
I am back and I can honestly say I am now 4 days completely clean of OPIATES.  I feel small amounts of pain, hot showers or soaks in the tub are best thing for that.  Diahrea is frequent.  But today I finally ate a full dinner.  I actually felt hungry.  I feel so much more as each day has passed.  How am I detoxing so easily?  I WANT TO LIVE A SOBER LIFE. I WANT IT!!!! trust me I would have relapsed on day 2 if I didn't snag my laptop and leave my house for the weekend to my sisters, leaving all temptation at home.  She has done a great job feeding me and understanding what I'm going through.  For those trying to quit, follow my recipe listed above!  It works for me it just might work for you!  Everyday I've woken up feeling a little better.  Its been so long since I've been Sober that I don't remember what it feels like.  The last 2 nights I have had 5 shots of jack Daniels WITH a Trazadone and I managed to get 6-7 hours of solid sleep.  If I try one without the other I get 2-4 hours of sleep.  For me mixing the two works.  I haven't been drinking as much water as I should, and I know alcohal dehydrates the body.  I've been slacking on water.  

Everyone you can stop taking pills!  Get in control of your life and enjoy being sober!  I woke up day 1 feeling like I didn't need a pill.  It took 2 years for that day to come.  I can't wait until I'm fully recovered and clean so I can move home to be with my wife.  I miss her big warm boobies lol
Hi All,

I've been reading your posts with great interest. I'm a former heroin addict, then buprenorphine addict (Subutex, Suboxone) now a codeine addict. I used codeine to help me with withdrawals from Subutex and ended up addicted to codeine. I take on average 600mg of codeine a day. This roughly equates to 100mg of hydrocodone. I'm Australian and we don't use hydrocodone here, but you can buy tabs of up to 15mg codeine over the counter (they have 500mg paracetamol/actaminophen though).

Now I'm writing this because I might have some useul advice to offer you about withdrawal. I withdrawn in medical facilities and at home. I have had pretty intenst withdrawals about 5 times over the past 3 years. from the sounds of it, withdrawing from subutex sounds similar to codeine except it lasts much longer. You don't even peak until day 7-10 and it doesn't really start to subside at all until day 14.

I will tell you this from experiences. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get help, advice and medical support from a doc who is an addiction specialist. There are medications that can be given to you to ease the WD process. Your doc can put in place particular interventions for you like only write a script for a very small number (like 3) pills at a time so you can't abuse it and take it all.

Things I have found to be very useful in withdrawals are as follows.

1. immodium or generic name loperamide. over the counter anti-diarrhoeal. Really really helps.
2. ibuprofen and paracetamol/acetaminophen for aches and pains and sweats. the paracetamol does help a little bit with the hold colds. Only a little but sometimes that's all you need just to get by.
3. something to get some sleep. personally i find zolpidem the best, as it puts me to sleep without sedating me. I find the sedation can make the restless body symptoms worse unless it is enough to actually knock you out. However, get supervision with zolpidem as you don't want to abuse it. ie - get your doc to only give you a few day's worth at a time and to help you taper  over 2-3 weeks.
4. valium for anxiety during the day - but not sure how appropriate that is to do at home. I've had this in detox centres and in that context ok coz you can't abuse it. And they give it to you based on the severity of your withdrawal symptoms so when you actually need it not when you 'want' it.

If you can, go to a detox centre. It is a much much better way to do it.

Alcohol makes withdrawal symptoms worse. It will not help sleep - makes restless body symptoms worse.

NOW! in regards to a few other things. I noticed on another thread van tiger talked about the importance of disclosure. I absolutley agree. Don't hide it from your loved ones it doesn't help. I'm 28 and I've had a problem for 8 years never told my parents and did the other day for the first time. They were absolutley fantastic and supportive and are going to help me. I realised that NOT telling them was part of me not truly wanting to quit drugs.

Don't stuff around with this. I urge you to imagine you could wave a magic wand and put interventions in place which would work. What would they be?  I always knew the answer to that but came up with reasons why I couldn't do those things. Basically I realised those reasons I came up with were crap and ********.  So I'm going to get the PROPER help I need this time. Don't hold back. If you can access the care, do.

I can access free residential detox in Aus, but I intend to get a naltrexone implant after detox which will cost me 3000. I have to fly interstate for that and I have no money I am a full time student. So I'm going to get a loan to pay for it.

There probably are ways you can get the help you need if you are honest with yourself. Tell your loved ones too. I think in most cases it would be beneficial. Being alone with this is part of the problem.  blah blah out of steam at the moment. I'm going for my assessment appt for detox tomorrow! yay. I'm really looking forward to detoxing this time!

Nuts I know but I'm looking forward to the wonderful bright future i have without drugs
So I started out with artheritas (Not sure of correct spelling) in my legs, need a hip transplant after 25 yeras in construction and have a bad siatic nerve. So I start taking vic's as my doctors suggestion. What a mistake. I take 5 7.5 a day and hate the power they have over me. I must admit when I take them I function great. I deal with high net worth clients. I always do the same thing, take my two weeks supply and am short by 2-3 days then I start scrambling to borrow from freinds and family (seems like evryone has these things). When I get my refill in 2-3 three days I am going to try slowing down to nothing. Figure a month very slowly as I can't go through wd given my work schedule 7-7 in meetings everyday. I would rather deal with the pain then take these things. If I could take maybe 2 a day I would be ok with that but I know what will happen. Goodluck to all you out there.
Hi, I'm sort of in the same boat you are in except I'm on day 5 and I don't feel so hot...in fact I felt like dying (not suicide) a couple times.  I was off the vics for a year and a half and started back up because of a kidney stone.  I felt like I could handle it and I don't know how but I forgot (or blocked it out of my mind perhaps).  I was on vics for almost 6 months.

I'm not gonna lie to you, going off vics might be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life.  Now, having said that, let me give you some hope.  When I went off of them and after the withdrawals subsided I felt happy again after a few weeks.  That's not to say it will take weeks to get over w/d but to start feeling like a human again.  This is one time you DON'T want to listen to what your body and mind are saying.  They're gonna say OMG I can't live without it and this pain will never end.  That's not true of course but it can feel like it.

Now there are some people that have taken vics or other opiates that I've read and had little to no w/d's.  While that's pretty unlikely that happen to you, you could luck out.  This will be my 5th time going off the vics.  I just made a stupid mistake getting back on them.  I went without them for a year a half and I forgot how powerful they are.  They distort your thinking...that is logical thinking.  You've got to remember that optiates flood your brain receptors and it's stops producing dopamine because you're getting an excess of it.  When you stop it can be quite unpleasant.  But I'm happy to say those horrible cravings and anxiety you get from running out or even thinking about running out can almost completely go away.  I say almost because once in a while I would think about them.  At first I didn't think I could manage, but I did.

It's hard for me to know what your pain (or anyone else's) is like (physical that is), but the times I've had physical pain is nothing like the psychological pain of w/d.  I mean, ya know if you need them for pain, then you need them, but if the vicodin is causing you worse pain than your original pain, you should stop.  There are quite a few new non-narcotic drugs out there that stop or at least greatly minimize the pain.

The bottom line is if you want to get off of them, you can.  It's not easy but to be able to go throughout the day without thinking....well I need to take some vics before I do this or that is amazing. Good Luck!