Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?

I am a 40 yr old male and I have been taking 2-4 Vicodin a day for the past three years. A medical doctor prescribed it for me after it was discovered I suffered bone degeneration in my lower 2 disk vertebrea. At the time I thought little of taking a prescription painkiller. Now after my first 6 days of no longer taking Vicodin I am realizing how powerful of a substance it actually is. I'm having withdrawal symptoms I didn't expect. Light headedness, the runs, blood pressure going up, and general fatigue. Lots of fatigue. And some irritability. I am hoping that these symptoms begin to decrease soon. Well, they have gotten better than it was in the first 2 days. I am still wondering how long I can expect to have these side effects of withdrawal?
Viewing 1-200 comments:
hello and welcome.In my opinion you are going to get off easy .If you ween off that amount you should suffer minimal w/d symptoms.There are alot of peeps who will tell you how.Me personally do it every time cold turkey and hate life all at once.Kinda like cuting your hand off once opposed to cutting  one finger off once a week and suffering a whole lot longer.but that is just me.There aer peeps who are more experienced in other factors than i.Good luck .God Bless
                      Bruce
HI, I think u are in good shape.  U have already had the worst of it and now, they will begin to taper off and get better and better.  The irritability may last a little longer, but not much I imagine.  Anyway, congrats.  U took the meds like u should and didnt ever get into trouble w/ them.  That says a lot to me.  Anyway, that makes a difference during all of this, in my opinion.  Stay positive and by the end of the weekend, I bet they are a memory, distand I hope.  How is your pain now?  Do u have another way to manage it?  I wish u all of the best, and please let us know if u need anything else.  There are lots of smart ppl here who have done this before and are so willing to help if u need it.  Good Luck and God Bless.

sincerely,
tracy

ps....to all friends who are seeing my name and saying she needs to go to bed, Im going, just couldn't sleep and thought I would peek.  lol
On average hydrocodone withdrawal peaks at 72 hours and gets better between days 7-10. There is a direct correlation between the length of time and amount of hydrocodone taken and the length and severity of withdrawal. So I would expect that by day 7 or 8 you will be feeling much better. I would never advise going "cold turkey" as this can do permanent damage to the nerve cells in your central nervous system(brain and apinal cord), cardiopulmonary system and smooth muscle in your digestive tract( mainly the large intestine as these are the areas of the body where opiate receptors are widely spread. Tapering as slowly as possible will almost eliminate withdrawal symptoms. Once you stop taking them you will probably feel some withdrawal symptoms so always taper as slowly as possible toward the end.

xoxo- D.
Can someone answer this. How long does hydrocodine show up in your system for a drug test. I take this drug for the pain I get with Lymes Disease. I'm starting a new job and they will ask for a drug test. How soon do I need to get off of them so it don't show up on my test. Thanks.
If you have a legit script you do not need to worry. Just provide the bottle to the technician that does your test and they notate it in your chart for results. The HC only shows when they are seeking out synthetic drugs, which some employers have begun to do with the influx of prescription abuse. However, if you have a script they cannot hold it against you, since you have a medical disease. That would fall under discrimination. Most employers, especially smaller companies, only run a basic 5 or 7 panel UA, which doesn't typically seek out synthetic drugs like HC and OC.

P.S. I speak from being an ex-P.O. and administering many a UA's. I read the lab manual front to back and this is what the labs reported to the agency. However, test are ever changing and anything is possible when it's in your system. I wouldn't think opioids would remain in the system for more then a week. In fact, MJ is out of the system within 3-5 days. The longest is reported at 21 days and that is for a user that smokes five plus joints a day for at least a two week period, per lab manual. Many folks always believed one joint would stay in your system for at least a month, but that's a fallacy! If you have a fast metabolism it will be even faster! Whatever you do, do not flush your system too much bc they also check the creatine levels and if they are too low they will report that and it will appear as though you were trying to flush your system. Most companies will make you repeat the test if this happens and it may not look good. Try drinking mass amounts of water a couple days before the test and then the day before and day of the test drink juices and you could even take a creatine supplement to increase your levels in the Urine.

Hope that helps.
I was taking vicodin for a severe tooth ache, after this I became addicted, I enjoyed the high. I took about 4 tablets a day for about 2 months and I was on it on off after that. Now I have stopped, it has a week since I last took my last vicodin. Anxiety and insomnia kicked in right away. It got better about the fifth day but I had an anxiety and nervousness attack on my seventh day. Is this normal, will this go away or will the anxiety always peak in. Is this my body telling me it needs the drugs.
I have been taking vicodin & or percoset for about two years now,I had two surgeries in 2 years,anyway,I am totally addicted,have been taking about 6-8 a day of the highest strength,I tried the cold turkey method since I cannot afford rehab and I wanted to gouge my eyes out,ha ha ,sweats,throwing up,wanting to crawl out of my skin,the whole nine yards,I have been trying to find a way to get off it on my own since,it is ruining my life,I met with someone today who made me an appointment witha doctor to talk about suboxen,sorry about spelling,does anyone know anything about that or have any other advice,Thanks!
Hi Ya,

I am exactly in your shoes.  I have a Dr. who fills mine every time.  Makes it so easy.  I am just off mine, but be careful.  Once you are done, get rid of the bottle.  Flush them away!  Do not stop cold!  Start by reducing 50% for a few days, then 50% of that.  You will feel free like someone has just unlocked your handcuffs when you finish.

Feeling Good For Once in California
I was a heavy user for at least 3 yrs. 4-9 per day of Vicodin XS or Lortab.  My doc (a friend) finally cut me off.  I've been cold turkey for 2 weeks and can't take it.  It is not getting better.  I vomit hourly early morning thru mid-afternoon  and have such bad diarreha that it's embarassing.  I'm not sleeping and have become a heavy drinker because it's the only thing that "numbs" my misery.  I actually would become an addict again just to get rid of this misery.  Any suggestions?
This is bothersome but hydro is the lightest off all opiate WD's. Some people get serious WD's like above but most can get over it in 5 days. all the best
Hi. I have been taking Vicodin for almost four years now.  Two spinal surgeries and failed lower back surgery.  A new ruptured disc.  It's hard not to take Vicodin.  I don't want to start with anything else and I don't mix  drugs, although, I do take Klonopin, which I find works as a good muscle relaxer (safer than Soma).  Anyway, I was up to 4-5 a day for two weeks (not a lot for some) and now I am cutting down, but I feel as though I am either fighting a flu bug (cold sweats, hot skin, goose bumps, head aches with brain fog and I haven't even cut the vicodin out, just tapering off.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or perhaps I an coincidentally sick.  Anyway, I need to get off of this stuff no matter how much pain I'm in, as I want to feel free again and not agitated or moody when I'm coming off.  I am depressed too.  I just want to be me again, but sometimes the pain is too much and over the counter drugs do not help and 9 epidurals later, nada!  Any suggestions?  Thank you
Me again.  Actually, is it possible to go thru withdrawals while decreasing Vicodin, but still taking it?  Anyone experiencing this or has experienced this in the past?  
Hi everyone, Help is my most valued word now. I am a 61 year old grandma addicted to vicodin for the last 7 years. I have noticed now that my habit has gotten worse and I'm not liking it at all. I don't have support of my husband for out of house therapy or even in house therapy. Some times the ones not addicted just don't understand. I have tried to stop cold turkey a few time prior and the craving was unreal so I would opt to get more and hence the habit is getting worse. It's gotten so bad that I find myself counting days until my next trip to the doc when I can get another script for them and then count the days they will last and I always fall short because I take more than I should and I run out. I want to stop totally. It's been so many years since I haven't taken them I don't know if I even still have pain from the orginal thing I started with them in the first place. I'm up to 10 to 15 a day now and take five just to get me moving in the morning. This is no way to live. How long and how hard are the with drawals from it? I don't want to live my life around this drug anymore. Just a word of encouragment some times is what I think I need and to know that I am not alone. Thanks
Hi, I am new here, never posted before but have been "lurking" for over a year.  I have been taking vics for years for back pain. I don't take more than I am prescribed, nor do I take more than two at a time.,I am prescribed 6- 5 milligram tablets a day, but I was taking the maximum. I have cut back to 5 a day for two weeks and intend to go down a half a pill everyother week until I am done. By the last week in June, I am stopping, even if I cannot taper down as far as i would like. I have a vacation week then to deal with any potential withdrawals.  Please tell me if I am allowing too much or not enough time in the spacing/reduction of dosage and how many days I will be unable to function during the stop in June-if gameplan works, I will have tapered to half a pill by then.  I have two teenagers, and I am very much Mom's taxi service, so I will need to make arrangements for them if I am too ill to drive.
Just wanted to see how you were doing.  Do you think it's possible even after 3 years of trying and trying to go through the first 3 days and be ok.  I feel bad but think I can make it.  I wonder how much of this is mind power too.
The last two Vicodin I took were Saturday night Aug 15th. Today is Aug 17th it's Monday morning and for me to be able to get out of the house and go to work (normal) I only need TWO-750mg of Vicodin.  If I pop two, I'm out the door, off to work and all is happy. If I don't, I know what my day will be filled with...my head in a fog, my body aching and all I'll want to do is sleep. Not at all conducive to being the bread winner. I feel like I need a two vaction to let my body detox, but that's not going to happen. Last night I told my husband I feel like I'm coming down with the flu...I know better than that, it's withdrawals. I came to this site to find information on withdrawals and read others experiences...thank you to those of you that shared. So, the question for me today is, to ween or to go cold turkey. I see here people doing both and people having very different out comes. I think cold turkey is the way for me...It's only been a little over a day and a half, I'm feeling sick, sleeply and full of pain, why stop now. I'm not feeling well but I'm full of hope. I'll keep you updated. Say a prayer!
My doctor put me on Vicodin and Bennies starting in May of 2009 for a disk issue in my back.  The pain only got worse and I started to lose interest in everything, which almost cost me my job.  To make a very long story short; I realized I was over medicated and found an excellent treatment center in Michigan.  I spend 10 days there and I'm doing much better.  I learned that if I had stopped cold turkey I could have died.  It's be 21 days now and I am still in withdrawal.  I take 2 meds to help, but I have a long way to go.   My adictionologist says that it can take up to 2 years to feel better, but I should feel better after 1 month and much better after 3 months.  I am suing my old doctor and trying to get laws passed to protect us from these drugs.  If you would like to know where I went for treatment I can send you a link.  I don't go to NA meetings because I was physically addicted and I have learned to hate the Bennies and Vicodin.
there is power in prayer......go to JESUS!!!!!! there is nothing he cant do.......TRUST ME.
Bless all of you .Iwas taking 3or 4 a day.for two years due to three surgeries.I quit cold turkey 12 days ago.It's been rough but I'm very concerned about the insomnia i am having.I''m lucky to sleep 3 or 4 hours a night.Any suggestions?

Thanks,butchie 477
Hello all and thank you for posting such comments... I was on Vicodin for almost an entire year, 3 pills of that 750mg a day... I, as someone else said here, "enjoyed the high" but I am also an alcoholic who struggles yet continues to fight daily to get off the booze. I'm just wondering when I will feel better in life and my interests again without the need for wanting to get high and dandy like I always craved before... causes me major depression... well, anyway, my AIM/AOL is PaulostheSpy for anyone who wishes to respond or something. Thanks.
I have been on  norco 4/day for 8 years. sometimes the pain is sooo bad I have taken one every two hours. I desperately want it gone. I am more scared of the pain than the dependence. I recently got cortisone shots in both shoulders and thus pain relief. I only took one norco yesterday and 2 today, I have been sweating every night, from either the cortisone or the withdrawls. I want to be pain free. I don't know many days without pain. I hope this respite from pain lasts long enough to stop the pills. I am no hero and could not go thru much misery. I am 58 female and have fibromyalgia. I consider the last week a gift from God. I will take what I need to to function. But in my heart of hearts I want no pain, no pills.
i've been on norco, hydrocodone 7.5 and was taking too many a day for about 2 months, then this past week and a half tapperd down dramaticaly from 4 a day to 3 then 2 then to 1 5/500 mg yesturday monring and one this morning. I've been feeling the WD's pretty bad these past 3 days about, and today it doesnt feel like that one helped AT ALL! but so far the WD's have been diareha and chills/goosebumps sumthin powerful - but its workable, i WD from oxy at the end of this last year only a handfull of months ago.. so this WD now is dramatically better ( even though it *****!) the oxy took a good 2 1/2 months to get to the point where i could even leave the house,
this vicodin WD seems like its much more tolerable... like i dont even have to stay in bed, as long as mentally i keep telling myself that!
i reallly reallly realllllllly hope it doesnt get worse through the night!
you're right though, since i recently ( i'd never forget it) came off huge huge huge amounts of oxycontin - this WD seems MUCH more tolerable ( the oxy WD IS NOT TOLERABLE BELIEVE ME DOOOONT TAKE EM CUZ THE WD IS HELL)
i'm gunna try to keep on going though as though i'm not in WD from the vic's. i have too much to do so im HOPING i can actually do that - cuz the oxy WD was out-of-commision time -
now if i jsut get bad stomach and chills/goosebumps... well i suppose i can deal w/that and still function - i sure had to deal w/ that the last 3 weeks of the OXY wd anyways...

ugh -
I am a 20 yr. old female and I am in pain management.. I have severe, severe scoliosis which causes severe pain. I am on two 5-500 mg lortab pills a day, and three 100 mg neurontin a day. I am 2 weeks short on my pills cause I am now addicted to them. I have been taking up to 9 a day.. I am down to 1 and a half pills. Now I am having to come down off of the lortab for the next 2 weeks. I am one day in and its already getting bad.. I have no energy what so ever.. and I'm having severe insomnia, and restless leg syptoms (symptoms).. I literally have no energy or get up and go about me.. I really need this medicine.. but I don't know how to control my addiction.. Lortab is the only pain med that works. They've tried me on everything and thats the only thing that helps. What should I do?? If they don't find the lortab in my system, they'll kick me out and say that I've been selling my pills.. How soon b4 my pain management opointment should i take the 1 and a half pill for it to be in my system?? What's so sad is that I NEED to be on strong pain killers, but the addiction gets outta control every time.. I'm lost and scared..
The original post is over 2.5 years old. You should start a new thread that is all your own...i.e. post a comment. You will get a lot more help this way. The people in the post you replied to are probably not here anymore....though there are some of us that have been around for a while.
I did send you a Private Message (PM) about your situation. We are in the same boat and you do have options.....Hyrodcodone isn't necessarily the best option-read the PM
Stay strong,
Greebs
First, you cannot do permanent damage from going cold turky. Simply is not true all you are doing is forcing up regulation of the opiate delta 2 and class c receptors at a faster rate hence the physiologic withdawls which is different then the pychological withdrawl (withdrawal). This homestatic readjustment is what causes withdrawls bc remember you have opiod receptors all over. Try not to inject unnecessary fear where not warrented. But it is true the intensity of the withdawls will be felt but physiologically there is no tissue damage/inflammatory response indicitive of tissue damage.
Today is my third full day without some type of pain killer.  I had a bad experience taking too much last week and was very light headed and disorinated...not to mention sick on my stomach.  After being on a minimal dose (or close to it) for the last God knows how many years....and paying out the a*, I have decided I'm very tired of this life style. I have experienced insomnia, leg restlessness, diareha, sever pain, anxiety and all the other normal symptoms, but at this point the worse was jaw pain.  I feel like I'm gonna make it at this point, but the first 2 days were awful.  NO ENERGY at all.  I was very concerned on the effects all the drugs were having on my body, especially my liver.  May I suggest, if you are contimplating quitting, take a few sick days and blame it on the flu.  Get something to make you sleep like an over the counter sleeping pill.  I am a professional person, and I have hid this for years.  I am tired of it and I will stop.  I've watched a family member slam these pill 5-7 at a time and I WILL NOT be like that.  I cant.  I have a family to provide for.  It must stop now!  And may I add that the pain that i have been taking this for seems to be some better at this point.....imaging that!
Well its day 1 , almost 24 hours now without anything. ive been through this before and it sucked but i did it by weening off of them. i was eating 12-16 a day, they were free why not right? this time i took 10 -3 days ago, 6 -2 days ago and 1.5 -yestreday. its been 24 hours with 0 right now. Not quite the weening off that we are told to do but im done!!!  im going cold turkey.. im must. i want to be free of this life that is not me. i been doing drugs for over 23 years straight. everything you imagine. this time i hired a coach, wrote down my reasons why i must quite this life and im not gonna look back. come hell or high water im not eating another pill. i flushed the rest yesterday. it cant be that bad and its going to be the best 5 days of cleansing in my life. These next 5 days will cleanse all the demons that have possesed me. Nothing in the next 5 days cane be worse than the years of internal hell that i have lived with. Please change your thoughts to the freedom that you are giving yourself , dont look back. Look forward at the future your are creating. You deserve it! we all do... i encourage you guys to write your reasons why you must do this, why you must stop today? is it because you will die? is it because you have ruined your relationships? how much better will life be when you are free? keep that though in your mind everyday and you will make it through. Feel the life you will have when you are free. What does your life look like when you are free, how is it differant? how much better is it? How much better are your relationships?  Write down your reasons and repeat your reasons out loud on why you must do this many times a day for encouragement. What worse, a few bad weeks of withdrawl (withdrawal) or a life of hell and pain from not living up to what you can be? Just think of what life will be like when you are free? Thats what i have done... i have my reasons why and they are much more powerful than a a week of being sick. Im not trying to downplay anything but i though this board could use some encouragement.... You can do it, nothing is worse than living a life of guilt and internal pain like we have been doing.  I promise to repost at my 48 or 72 hour mark. You can do no matter what the pain may bring... bring it on.
Sounds like you have an awesome plan.  Stick with it buddy.  Best of luck to you and come back and talk to us.  I'm on day 6 and feeling so very much better.  We will be thinking about you and praying for you too!
I have been in and out of rehab a couple times and now that I can't afford it and my family will not pay AGAIN I am ready! So I was taking about 10 norcos a day 10/325 I am about 22 hrs clean I have tappered a little for 2 days. I have read and heard if you take a med thats for ADHD (Vyvanse) I got some I was told to take 2 30mg tablets a day for 5 days and I will be fine. As I said before I am almost 24hrs into this and I actually feel pretty good not great but ok. I have heard the first 24-48 hrs are the very worst is this true? I have always had medical detox so I never felt anything. I didnt want xanex or a benzo because I like them tooo much I really dont like the wired feeling at all hate uppers! This is just making me have a little energy and I think helping with mindset. So I guess what I am asking has anyone tried Vyvanse to detox and is it true if you make through the first 24-48 everyday after that gets better?
New here, I've taking 2-3 10/325 norco's consistently for about 6 months now. About to get married soon and the fiancee is gone for 7 more days. I figured I'd better kick this habit before it gets a hold of me anymore.
I'm on day two from quitting cold turkey and was wondering how long it will take to get a full night of sleep. These night sweats and sleepless nights are killing me. Any advice, besides exercise to help sleep at night.
FYI- The last two nights I've been up, I get online and read these posts, they help when you think about getting more
I'm new here as well.  I am on day three after everday for  2 years having tabs.  I usually take anywhere 6 - 10 depending on availability.  I work full time so I am having to tough it out.  I am drinking TONS of water.  I take 1 five hour energy drink in the morning and one around noon. I excercise on my lunch everyday.  At night I'm taking tylenol pm.   I don't get as much sleep as I should but I am able to get through the day suprisingly well.  Hope any of this well help you or anyone else.  Good Luck!
To all that are suffering from withdrawals, it gets better, much better!

For three years straight I have taken 6 10Mg Vicodins a day, 180 pills per month.  I have severe chronic back pain from an accident in my late teens, now I am 35.  I found some alternative medicine that really is helping my back condition, may not be for everyone, but hey it is working for me.  I went from 60mgs a day (3 years), to 30mg/per day for 10 days, then 20mg/per day for 2 days, then just one 5mg pill yesterday.  It has been really hard!  But, my encouragement for all is that it does get better very soon, usually 3 days and the symptoms start to go away.  I feel like I am full of cement and can barely move, no energy, cant sleep, all the normal stuff that happens in WD.  I was at one time given Oxy and I elected to go cold turkey.  This is a very bad idea and please don't ever try OXY by going cold turkey, it is worse than just about anything you can think of.  In my experience, energy starts to climb back to normal by day four and sleep resumes to somewhat normal.  I do recommend taking time off from work if you cant do the detox program at a hospital.  It does get better.  I have found that Valium is wonderful (small dose) to take in those first few days, it really helps with sleep and the anxiety that can happen.  But, be careful because it is yet another drug.  I had acupuncture performed today and well I don't know if works or not, but I am trying it all.  Good luck to all my fellow WD sufferers.  It does get better, just hang in there, and do talk to your doctor if it gets super bad, they are ready to help and I have found that they don't judge.  You aren't a junky, an addict, or any other negative stereotype that is out there, you are person that is dealing with a powerful med.  Many Blessings.
I liked your comment, especially knowing it was created just one hour ago. I want to ask, how many days are you off of the meds? Do you still get depression? I've tried many times trying to quit but keep going back because of depression. My family is away on vacation for two weeks and they have no clue what's going on. I was hoping to finally kick the habit while they're gone but I'm almost sure I'll go through WD's when they come back. The only thing I worry about is the depression around my son and becoming irrated about everything.
i am 47 yr old female going thru cold turkey detox, at home i have been taking 10/650 lortab for 10 years saturday night i just decided i cant live like this anymore. I thought i was really sick, and in pain until i realized i was taking the meds if i needed them or not. well i am on day 2 of wd, i have always been afraid of wd.  I think the pills are worse tham the wd. i will just keep praying
Well, a bit of background. Abused everything I could get my hands for the past 30 years on and off. Most of that time was illegal stuff without major physical addiction and could stop for days, weeks, and even months at a time with maybe a little irritation (pot, psychedlics). Had a year bout with Meth 15 years ago that I kicked cold turkey and just slept for 3-4 days and was fine. For the past 10 yrs, been taking Vicoden, Hydrocodone 7.5 (main one), Norco, and the rare MS Contin (Morphine), Oxycontin, and Dilaudid. Have a prescription and take them for frequent migraines - but the doc gives me between 90-120 a month for migraines that I get 2-4 times a month, go figure. I didn't complain! I'd run out after about 3 weeks, you can do the math. I have family members with access to other prescription opiates to tie me over until I can get my meds refilled. I've quit in the past for short periods of time, from a week or two to even a month (was feeling great and started back, need a face palm icon). I haven't abused illegal drugs really for the past 15 years at all. Don't really have a desire for that kind of high. In fact, I have no desire for any kind of high. Through all of that, I earned a college degree, was successful in my business pursuits (very successful in fact), have a great family, career, church life, and a bright future ahead. I am probably the most functional addict that you would ever meet and besides my wife and a couple of family members, nobody even knows. So fast forward to NOW. I knew that quitting was needed, I'm not young anymore (mid 40s), my career is moving to the next level, and my desire for opiates was starting grow. I ran out of my last prescription (90 pills) after 2 weeks. I cut down to a couple of pills for 2 days last week and have been cold turkey since last Wed. at around 3pm when I took a half. It's now Sunday night. I know what to expect. I usually have the hardest time during the night and can't sleep which compounds things during the day. I have prescription to Ambien (I have insomnia a few times a year and don't abuse it) and have been taking a half tablet at night and that does help me sleep and avoid that discomfort. Let's just say that I've felt like I've had the light flu but it is hay fever season and that is also affecting me. First day way was tough but manageable. Second day was better. Third day was not bad at all, in fact thought I might have gotten off easy. Fourth day,today - this has been awful. Massive headache (not a migraine either), leg cramps, the runs, cloudy head - usual w/d symptoms. I was able to take a nap but woke up feeling worse! Had the thought of taking a small dose of something that is available, but decided to not even go there! Day 5 is tomorrow of course, hoping it will be better. I've never felt so determined to stop all of this nonsense after years and years of it. Feeling really irritated right now and my head  is pounding. It's almost 10pm, I skipped the Ambien last night (slept a little), will take a half tonight. I was looking up Vicoden W/D symptoms (again) and ran across this board. By the way, I came here to really just get my thoughts out, read other people's experiences. I did see some incorrect medical information provided in this forum (I'm no doctor) but have read enough about opiate WD, have been in rehab when younger a couple of times, and I have a friend who is a pain management specialist (very responsible and is not my doc) who does not know of my use but we've had many conversations on the topic, and I know these so called facts to be incorrect. Go to your doctor for proper medical advice. Wish me look, I'll try to check in if I don't get too busy.
There is no one on  this forum that are doctor nor do we claim to be . I am glad you are enjoying reading others experiences .Pretty soon you will be over the worst off the physical of course the physical is the easy part seen as you have been threw this a few times you know the importance of aftercare what do you have lined  up.. Getting clean is the easy part staying clean is the hard part ..Good luck.
avis
Well, day six - so far so good but not easy. The days are not bad because I'm so busy, the evenings and night are TOUGH. Its about 6:30PM now and this afternoon was a little tough and seems to be getting tougher. Last night was brutal, couldn't sleep at all - leg/bone aches/restlessness), I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't helping today. I don't drink alcohol at all (kind of funny, never liked it), so no minor relief from that like I've heard some people do, but to me that is subbing one thing for another. Tomorrow will be a solid week, hopefully I'll start feeling better in a day or two.
hello.  Have you tried an OTC sleeping aid?  They really helped me after a week of w/ds.  I never abused them and dropping them after 3 months was pretty easy..no major withdrawal.  Took about a day to get to sleep again without anything, but I take benadryl for allergies so that may help me sleep at night also.
Are you taking any vitamins?  or some Hylands Restful Legs is soo good for the twichy legs and restlessness.  Take a hot bath too.  Very helpful to stop the leg problem, plus it will help you sleep if you do it about an hour before bed.  You seem to be doing great, hang in there and good luck to you!  God bless, keep posting.  I have to go cook dinner now, c  everyone tomorrow morning :)  Have a blessed evening...the cheerleader (lol)...
I haven't tried any OTC sleeping aids other than Benedryl, which I do take at night sometimes for my severe allergies. Doesn't help me sleep at the moment at all (I did take one last night in fact). Usually they wipe me out and I don't ever take them during the day. This evening was rough and I had work to do, so my wife dug out a really old bottle of alcohol that was buried in the back of the pantry and made me one drink (remember, I hate alcohol and this was some pricey whiskey that we've had for probably over 10 yrs, she doesn't drink either), it tasted horrible but I must admit after forcing a drink down (mixed with cola) it did help. Wasn't much, didn't really feel it like in a buzz but it relieved the cloudiness and some of the leg pain and let me focus on getting some work done. That was several hours ago and has well worn off. I took about a third of an Ambien a few minutes ago (waited so there would be no mixing with alcohol), that should help me sleep. I am starting a vitamin program in the morning, we went through what we had, read a few web sites on what would help and figured out what I need to take. She takes a lot of homeopathic stuff, so we have vitamins, minerals, amino acids, herbs, etc. on hand. I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment though! I love being able to go to the family calendar in the kitchen and put an small x on it to indicate another successful day. 6 x's on their now!
woohoo on day 6!  yes, I say take all the vitamins, herbs whatever you can get  they really help your body detox faster and help you to feel better too....good luck to you, keep posting!! :)
I have been abusing pills for years. I am up to about 10-12 a day and I decided to stop. I did take one yesterday monring, but here I am now, at work and I am in so much pain I want to cry. The worst part for me is the whole not sleeping thing. I hate feeling like I have no control over my body and the way it moves and jerks while I am trying to sleep
Hi Shelly.  Know what you're going thru.  Listen, if you post a new question up there at the top, you may get more feedback okay?  Just start a new question...lots of good information and people to help here ,,
Day 7 - a success! Slept good last night, not a bad day - started some vitamins today. More flashes of normalness than feeling bad. I was really busy today at work so that helped a lot. When I had to finally sit at my desk and get on the phone and computer, that's when things got a little rough for a while. Got a busy day tomorrow so it should be good if I can get some sleep tonight. Just took a Benadryl (actually needed it), so hopefully that will help.

To Shelly1200 - you can do it, I worked everyday and it was brutal. But once I decided to stop, that was it. Take some of the advice, start vitamins asap! stay busy also, it does help. Good luck!
Haven't posted in a few days - on day 11 and every day gets easier. I used for so long that it's just going to take a few weeks or more before I have a full day and night without any w/d symptom. The days now are almost no problem, feel pretty good and my energy level has increased 200%. I'm becoming very productive in everything I do. The cloudiness has gone away and I am thinking much clearer. I am getting agitated easily, especially in the evenings when I'm tired. Still having sleeping problems unless I have an aid. Going to try Tylenol PM tonight. The RLS is still there and I get aches in my shins and ankles at night, last night was pretty bad, I feel asleep with no aid but woke up about 3 hours later with my legs/bones aching. All in all, things are going well and I'll hit the two week mark in a few days! If I can get through this, anybody can! I even used to say this -- I take the pills in order to feel normal, not get high, that is really a bunch of garbage, you are not normal nor are you reaching your full potential  while on them. The thought processes are skewed, energy levels are lower, and ambition is zapped. You just don't feel feel the w/d symptoms, but there is still a lot of things going on that are not positive.
Great job!  One suggestion....if you are having bad RLS at night, watch the Benadryl.  Everyone is different, but it makes mine 100 times worse when I have taken it during WD or when I already had some RLS.  

Just a suggestion!  Won't hurt to try it though.  That is just what it does to me!
Hello, I have a 'trick' for those of you out there that want to limit yourself or taper off of the Vics and KNOW that if the're in the house you're gonna take them....first of all buy yourself a GOOD safe, one that you cannot pry open with a crowbar....however many vics you usually do, cut that number in half, take em out and lock the rest in the safe...Now you are going to tape the key in a small heavy stock of paper and fold it over and tape it shut (just like a mini greeting card) place it in an envelope, put your own address on it and mail it!!!!!!!  you wanna make sure the key is taped strait up and down in the heavy paper not sideways (because mail machines bend envelopes) and if your safe key has a molded black end on it take it to a key maker and get a totally flat key made!  and throw away the other keys! only have one! if you mail it before 5 it will usually get back to you the next day.....This drug is evil, I know just like you all know....it's been too many years, it has to stop....I (we) want our lives back....Taper off my friends using this method, hold fewer and fewer back before you mail that key....you may have forgotten how to be happy and satisfied since vicodin grabbed you but I'm here to tell you that given some time, you will remember who you are again.....Don't LET THE ******* WIN......LET'S FIGHT!!!!
hello everyone i am having a hard time with hidrocodone i'm triyng to get off of it but the illnes is unbearrable the nausea and the chills i dont know what to do i've been on it for four years, taking 10 per day now i'm at 4 per day but i am done i have lost all of my money, friends , etc... if anyone knows how can i slow it down and evantually quit for good please just.... something, a way i don't wanna feel like this anymore thank you and best wishes to everyone.
this was an old post ! A good one !
Just want to say -- hit two weeks off the stuff today. Feeling pretty good overall, actually sleeping without Ambien the last two nights but having some minor RLS and leg aches at night, but nothing I can't deal with. There are times when I get that "something is missing" feeling or I get a little agitated but those are fewer and fewer and easier and easier to get through. Next big milestone I"m shooting for is a month now, I know - day by day, true of course, but I like to set bigger goals. And I still have a ton of this stuff in the house, my wife takes it also but believe me, she does need it for a serious condition. Even being within reach, it's not even something I think about reaching for. That extreme determination to stay off has overcome me and that seems to be more powerful this time around, I've never been so determined to stay off of them. I'm thinking about hitting some NA meetings next week just as an additional step. I'll check in from time to time. I found out that keeping busy has been the key to success, when my mind is occupied, I don't think about the W/D symptoms.
I've been reading your posts. I have to go to a very important series of meetings for work and want to get off vicodon, I've been taking 4 a day for three months. I've got to quit. I know I could manage my pain if I really tried, but I don't have any will power. Maybe if I cut it down to 2 tomorrow for two days and then 1 for two or three days I could be off on the day of travel. Do you think or should I take a couple with me just to keep me from jumping around?
4 a day is a pretty low dose AND 3 months isn't that bad - doesn't mean you don't have a problem, but it does mean the WD should be quick and less painful than many other experience. I was a Director in a large company and was taking a ton of these things for many years, in fact I couldn't function unless I was on them. Try cutting down but take halves throughout the day. You mighthave some discomfort, but will be able to function and won't be having major WD. A taper method is best, 4 for several days or a week, then 3.5 for a week, etc. A doctor can help you taper best, but if you don't want to talk to a doctor, I understand, I sure don't want to talk to mine about my problem.

But I hit 21 days clean today - cold turkey! Felt great all day and last night was the first night I've slept well without an aid.
Day1 -  I have been taking Norco aka Vicodin for 8 months straight.  Today I ran out.  My pharmacy will not refill my script.  They said it's too early.  I can get a refill on the 4th of April.  Would it even be worth me getting a refill?  I really do go through pain everyday of my life.  I have severe back back , and now my joints have been a huge issue for the past 3 weeks.  I have no insurance, so I've just been getting refiil after refill from my doctors.  It's been 12 hrs. since my last dose.  I am already sweating and aching all over.  I'm trying to keep myself busy.  I guess my biggest concern would be my daughter.  I'm nursing her.  My family doctor said that I could while taking Norco.  I'm afraid that she's going to experience W/D.  I am so scared.
Well, I broke down and had a glass of wine.  It's helping.....for now.  I'm just afraid of what's to come.  I have formula for my baby, which I'm going to have to give her.  It breaks my heart because I enjoy the time we spend together nursing.  I'll just have to "pump and dump" when ever I have a glass.  I wish my dr. never perscribed be Vicodin.  But what can I do about that now.  It did help with my pain though.  Now sure of what I'm going to do about the constant pain now, though.  Wish I had someone here, in person , next to me.
Day three - God please help me.  I have no motovation, I am soooooo depressed.  I HATE THIS.  I feel so alone.   All I can do is cry.  Just had my first panic attack.  I want to screem.
Stay busy, try to exercise, and take plenty of vitamins. I hit day 26 today and believe me, it gets better and better! Good luck and I'll pray for you, I promise!
Hi All,

Many of your posts have helped me to understand my addiction and try to fight past my struggles with these pills, so I figure I will share my story for those of you that read this and can relate to what I have gone through and what I am going through now. This will be my 2nd time quitting these things, and so far the WDs the 2nd time around is not REMOTELY close to what I went through the first time.

Taking pills, for me, started as more of a social thing. My friends and I would head out to bars and clubs and always pop a few vicodin during the night. It was strictly a weekend thing, and I NEVER thought I could get hooked on these. I NEVER took them during the week, only weekends and never saw how they could be addictive.

Well, fast foward to 3 years ago, and for some unknown reason, I started popping these things every day, after work on the weekdays, and at whatever time on the weekends. I dont know if I was looking for an escape, or just some stress relief. At my worst I was taking about 4-5 10/325 vics per day. I understand that this may be "peanuts" compared to what others are taking, but this was enough for me to become addicted.

I never had a script, I would always buy them off the street. About 1 1/2 years ago, I ran out of pills one day and all of my connects were dry. So unintentionally I quit cold turkey. The feeling was HORRIBLE. By the end of the first day I had a "fire" burning inside of my belly, I CRAVED taking a pill. My nose was runny, eyes watery, bad diarrhea and I was sneezing constantly. Night time was the worst, when I layed down my legs ached, my chest hurt from anxiety, and I could not get comfortable. I could not sleep fully for 4 days, and when I did fall asleep, it felt as though I would wake up every 30 minutes and toss and turn. I dont think I slept pass 5:30 am on any of those days . After about the 5th day I started feeling better, still a bit off and down in the dumps, but better, more "normal". But unfortunately my "clean" living only lasted about 10 days and I started popping these things again.

Which leads me to PART 2 of my addiction:

So now I have been taking these pills every day for the past 1 1/2 years. I decided two weeks ago that I have had enough. I am sick of spending my $$ on these things. Every time I take a pill I feel as though I am eating money. I am also sick and tired of being a "slave" to these pills. My everyday functioning is dependent on pills. Everytime I go to a family function or any kind of event I have to make sure I have enough pills on me to "survive: And lastly, the high just isnt doing it for me anymore. When I first started using, the euphoria I felt seemed like gods gift to me. I LOVED these pills. But now, they have lost their luster, they have made me practically hate myself for depending on them and controlling my life. Every night I went to bed depressed, telling myself that I will stop the next day, but the next day came and I would pop my pill or two in the morning with my coffee (man I used to love my coffee and vic in the morning!). Well it took me quite a while to stop but:

Here I am today, 3 days ago I took one 10/325 pill. So I have been fully clean for 2 days. The first day, surprisingly wasnt too bad until it was bed time. Thats when the bad muscle cramps and anxiety set in. I didnt think I was gona fall asleep, but luckily I had some Motrin PM and Melatonin which helped. I wouldnt say that i got a full nights sleep, I woke up a few times, but i was able to sleep. Day 2 has been relatively easy, just feel a bit down, and keep getting the chills every so often. But the past two days I have been able to do my normal daily routine no problem. I have even gone to the gym the past 2 days, something that I could NOT have imagined doing the last time I was in withdrawals.

Maybe day 3,4,5 will be much worse, but at this point I do not think it will be cause my WDs the first time I quit were much much much worse by now. I think a major difference has been the fact that I have been working out regularly for the past few months, I am taking daily vitamins, drinking a bunch of water, and eating much better. I was not doing any of these the first time I quit. Another difference is that I did a "mini tapering", I reduced my daily intake from roughly 4 pills a day down to a full week of 2.5 pills per day before I quit. I did feel some slight WDs during those days but maybe it has aided me now.

Since the physical part has been much better than expected, I must focus on the mental part. Most of my daily routine and daily activites were associated with being high. I would love popping a pill and watching sports, movies, being at a party high, going to the gym high, waking up in the morning and popping a pill and drinking coffee, doing housework high. Its sad, but pretty much everything was associated with being high on pills. This may be the toughest battle, but I am ready to fight it.

Just always know that you cannot take these pills forever. You will either go broke, lose your family, or even your life. So why delay the inevitable.

Pills no longer have room in my life. I am now ready to turn the page and move on. I wish all of you the best of luck.

Hello all,

First of all i would like to say congrats to anotheroldrocker! That is great, and i would like to know how things are going for jhart80 today
my heart definetly goes out to this woman.
Ok and now for me, i have been taking vicodin for about a year now i dont take much only a half of a 750 4 or 5 days a week so i never thought i could become addicted on such a small amount. Well ive come to realize i was wrong! I have stopped for 3 days in the past but my body would still experience W/D symptoms cramps, diarrea (diarrhea), it was terrible. This time it has been 5 days i am wondering how long before the body aches go away? I want to take a vic for the pain...i mean its never ending, you feel pain you take a pain pill. I do not plan on taking any pills today only my vitamins. Just hoping the sorness ends soon!
Thanks! Tomorrow will be a full month clean (30 days), but it hasn't been easy. I have meds within reach at home (my wife does need them for a serious condition). I still don't sleep well at night even though most of the leg cramps have gone away, but I sleep for about 2 hours and then wake up and toss and turn the rest of the night. I'm trying not to take Ambien anymore like I did at first which helped. I do take an over the counter with Valerian and Melatonin but that only seems to work to get me to sleep, not keep me there. So I am tired a lot. Not to give more info than anybody wants to hear (lol), my bowels are not back to normal, I'm having to take fiber and other over the counter stuff to keep me "regular." I went the entire day yesterday though without a thought of meds or cravings, the first day I've done that and I felt great all day. I guess I shouldn't expect miracles after 10 yrs of using the stuff and I know it will take time to get everything back to normal, but the really hard part is over - these other issues are a breeze compared to the first couple of weeks!
Hi there I a have been reading everyone's posts and it has been helping me.  Although I need a few suggestions and advice.
I started taking vicodin when I had a rootcanal and thought they were pretty cool but never addicted,   and if someone offered one to me I would take one here or there a couple of years ago probably went  a year without taking any then I started taking them occasionally  then I stareted taking them everyday for the last 4 months and 2 to 4... I have gone a couple of days without taking any and experinced the vomitting and muscle aches then I  started taking them again because I did not realize that isnomia was one of the side effects and just thought I was okay.  But when I really realized it was time to quit and I did not want to live my life like this I tappered off and was okay until the night of day 2 and got off work that night and just wanted a good night sleep so I took tyenol pm which had the opposite effect and stayed awake all night until I took 2 niteqyle gel tabs which I was able to sleep for a couple of hours...not realizing that this was one of the side effects....
anyway I am having trouble sleeping still, I took my last consecutive 1/2 pill the 14th of april then could not sleep so i took one on the 17 and then 1 one the 18..(not realizing insomina was a side effect just thought that I was stressing out because I was not sleeping) anyway I finally got some ambien and slept like a baby on monday I did wake up once but took another ambien and went right back to sleep, then on tuesday I only slept for and couple of hours with the ambien..... anyway SORRY i AM RAMBLING I HAVE NOT SLEPT FOR A WHILE. my question is I started detoxing on the 14th but took a couple since then, randomly when will the relieve come witht he sleeping portion.  PLEASE HELP I JUST NEED A GOOD NIGHT OF SLEEP. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AMBIEN, TRAZODONE AND AVITAN NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK, THEY DO SEADATE ME THOUGH.  I NEED HELP
Man, I've been clean about month after 10 yrs of hard core use, and I still don't sleep well. It's part of kicking the habit. Some nights I do better than others. Only Ambien would keep me asleep more than 6 hours, but I didn't want to become dependent on it so I have stopped. I sleep about 3 hours total a night, maybe 4 if I'm lucky. Just try to rest when you can and on weekends, I had a good nap last sat and that made all the difference in the world, at least you don't have the severe leg cramps and RLS that I experienced and others experience when they stop. I take Melaonin/Valerian, if I take a Benadryl, that is a cocktail that usually works well. I take the Benydril mainly because of severe allergies at night, not for sleep. Good luck! I'm actually really sleepy right now!
I have been taking Perc 10/325  for 1 year and 4 months steady. On and off since the age of 19. I am 43. I have tried the cold turkey thing and by day 3 I cave call in a script or call "A Friend" for them. I have beat just about every drug I was ever addicted to but this one. I even beat OxyContins I was taking in 2007 30 mg 3 times a day but with the help of Methodone. I have called every Center for drug free living in Orlando, Fl. and they are booked for a simple evaluation until  May 21st. I have been told that if you go to the doctor that is Prescibing the pain killers and tell him you  want off that he will prescribe methodone??? I have been taking 1 mg Xanax (zanax) twice daily for 6 years NEVER once have I abused my amount. I was prescribed them due to severe anxiety and yes I tried everything before taking them. I had an Idiot for a doctor back in 2000 and would prescribe me antidepressants llike Prozac to Paxil even if I had a mild case of insomnia. left him found another doctor he started me on atenolol (Tenormin) social phobia, imipramine (Tofranil) panic, depression, generalized anxiety until i finally went to a psychiatrist and He LISTENED to me for over 2 hours my first visit. He then prescribed them and I have lived a productive life...Until I started with the oxy's in 07 as a recreational high...then in one week i was hooked. Like I said in the begining of this I stopped with the help of methodone. Then, like the addict I am and always have been started having horrible pains in my hands and knee's.  a  friend ( met thru drugs) started selling me her percs. At first I was as all addicts , started taking about 20 a week with in a matter of months I have to take 3 to 4 at one time now I take up to 18 in a day IF i have a large quantity. I can't believe how hard it is to get help. I have insurance that covers addiction but they are at full capacity so I tried for the past 2 days with out then broke down and went this morning and picked up 11...which are all gone and it is now 1:30 eastern time. I rationalize, bargin and barter in my mind and ALWAYS loose. My question is does anyone know if I should even bother to contact my doctor, explain to him I want help..would he give a dam or kick me to the curb then I loose my prescription for Xanax as well?? I am scared and I do not know what to do...Even a methodone clinic won't help because I have to pass a urine test in order to get them and Xanax will show up and then i loose there help. Its not fair to be punished for one medication that has helped me in order to get off the ones that are killing me????
so I am on day 5 of no vicodin feeling pretty good but still a little funny in the head, not so much that I want to take another pill (beause I do not want to go through this again) but still a little fuzzy in my head.  my husband and I was going to go out to dinner tonight to get my mind off of things and not sure if I should have a drink or not, before my pill popping days I would have a drink or two after work sometimes more on the weekends... just not sure if having a drink would mess with my head more... what do you guys think
Hi!  I would not drink for several reasons.  The main reason is that you do not want to have to fight another addiction!  The other is that drinking while still in acute WD will only make you feel worse!  You don't need that right now.  

I would skip it!!!  Go out and have fun though.  You deserve it!  Congrats on getting clean.

TH
I can't tell you all how much your comments are helping me.  After staying up all night again (fourth day after quitting the vic -- was on it for about 18 months) this information is incredibly helpful.  Of course, knowing you are not alone helps a lot, too.  Thank you, all, and good luck and keep working at it!
I made my decision that I am going to white knuckle it...this is going to be so very hard...but my son is loosing his mom to Pills and I will not allow that..I have had enough. Tired of working to buy pills...tired of running out and feeling like crap for a day or two then BAM...they're back in my hands to my mouth. I have to learn to deal with LIFE and every thing that comes with it-clean-without meds in my system masking the pain. I want to take walks with my husband and son again feel the sun and wind in my face as apposed to being bed ridden. This is the road I CHOOSE and now I have to rewrite the pages of my life. I will beat this we ALL Will..!!!!!
morning of day 6 and feeling okay didnt sleep well again last night... just waiting for a good night sleep again.... I have tried valieran and ambien and sleepytime tea... nothing seems to work.  I am hoping this weekend will be better.... Also i went to my doc and he told me I might be bi- polar or manic depressed... I don't think so I think that the vicodin really messed my head up and don't want to take anyother drugs... cause I was fine before I took the vicodin, it just made me feel good, happy to do the house work and to take care of the kiddos, just wondering when I will start to feel a little normal again.  Also I read on here that there is a direct correlation with the detox period and the amount of time on the drugs, if so accoring to some users I should be good my now...
I have been generic vicodin (hydrocodone 50/500) for about 3 years. I have severe shoulder pain. Have had 3 surgeries on my shoulder. It is not healed fully and the pain is pretty intense. I need a 4th, but it's hard to get a doc to do it. Anyhow, I took anywhere from 6-12 a day, but mostly took about 9, cause taking more made me very moody. I HATE having to take them. As everyone knows, the longer you take a certain dose, the more you need to take in order for it to have the same effect. I did a cold turkey withdrawal in Nov 2008 and it was bad. I stopped again because I ran out thursday, april 29. I have been lucky to sleep, since I have prescribed Trazadone. I have klonpine and take 1/2 pill. I have a little anxiety, I think more because tomorrow I go to work, it's my 4 day off. I also haven't had the sweats to bad, just a little dizziness and out of sorts. Anyone else been through this? My doctor is horrible and I hate contacting her about this, as I get a total lecture. I understand if I had substance abuse before, but I have never had any type of addiction. I take it to help be able to work and not live with pain 24/7. I am almost to the point I can't drive long distance even with the pain meds. I don't mind going through going off of them, like a lot of people, I don't like going through the withdrawal and then figure out how to deal with the pain. If anyone could let me know what they think my next few days will be like that would be great. Thank you!
        I've had 3 failed low back surgeries(fusion at S1-L5), I took Oxycontin for a year and went cold turkey one day as the Oxy was making me very depressed(chemical side effect), I felt back to normal after 3-4 days but still had alot of back pain.
       At that point I had Norco 10/325's and took 4-6 a day for 2 years, I decided to get off them cold turkey(stupid idea, ween yourself off!) and felt like poop for 3 days(hid in my apt.), couldn't sleep, shoulder muscle spasms, RLS etc. and generally felt like crap...
      Now 8 years later I've been taking 1-2 10/325 Norco's a day(I break them in 1/2) and long lasting NSAIDs and Valium sometimes for breakthrough pain, with beer and weed chasers in the evenings, I'm quitting the Hydrocodone completelly now as I don't have medical Ins. anymore(settled the WC case) and am going with the weed and beer Rx(way better side effects!) munchies and pee abit more than usual, better than the Opiate heebee geebies!
       My advice to anyone with Vicodon/Norco/Hydrocodone/Oxy withdrawal issues is to gradually ween yourself off over a few weeks/one month period, then stop them all together and try weed or booze or OTC Ibuprofin/Motrin(take w/food!) and not huge amounts!.
       For me the bad withdrawals only lasted 3-4 days then I was back to normal but still with the chronic pain, I deal with it now smoking weed and drinking beer in small to moderate quantities, I still take a 1/2 a Norco now and again for bad breakthrough pain.
       The worst for me was the Norco withdrawals by far! but it only lasted 3-4 days tops then I was back to normal ie: with a bum back...
       Good luck to all with these real life issues!...        
I simply can't do this. But admire all of you who can. I am truly moved by your courage and strength.
Hi rissy dont give up....many try this more the once b/4 they get it right you may have to take a differt approach tapering off gradually works if the withdrawals are to much for you to handle all at once you could try that if you need help just ask I can help you work out a taper that will work for you....good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
Went cold turkey 7 days ago from 12-18 10mg vics a night. I would always wait till i got home from work and then it was on and poppin for about 4 hours. 12-18 in 4 hours.... I just got fed up with always focusing on where i was gonna get the next script. And ive been doing this for 6 years. I just made up my mind used the Thomas Recipe which you can google (did not use the benzos though) and on this 7th day i can actually say I feel good for once. The best thing I did was cold turkey to remind me why I should never take them again. Plus with suboxone you will have to off of too and I didnt want another vise. GOOD LUCK
Well, I ended up getting a refill.  I have an appointment with my Pain Specialist on Tuesday.  He's a real jerk, though.  I want to talk to him about getting off these things.  I don't think the conversation's going to go well, though.  I called my family doctor to see if he'd get me on a taper schedule (he's the one who got me started on these things), and his nurse calls back and tells me that he doesn't feel comfortable helping me with this situation seems how he's already refered me to a speciaist.  She suggested rehab.  1. I have no insurance 2. I have a newborn to take care of 3. I know I can stop this with help from a doctor.  I've done other stupid "street things" in the past and was able to stop no problem.  All I want is moral support and a doctor to guide me and understand.  We'll see how that goes on Tuesday.  My daughter didn't have any problems when I stopped taking them for 3 days.  I have been giving her cereal at night, and nursing her 2-3 times a day.  The rest of her feedings is formula.  It breaks my heart not to nurse her as much.  She is my world, and as I mentioned before, I truly enjoy the bond her and I share and the "us" time we have when I nurse her.  I've never gone through W/D before, and when I did, it was hell.  So now I know what is to come when I run out this time......Terrified.  Every time I take my Vic...I look at the bottle, seeing fewer and fewer pills.  I plan on driving 10hrs to see my Grandmother at the end of the month.  I don't know if it'll be safe for me to do so if I'm going through w/d with my daughter in the car.
I hope everything works out for you just keep trying to get help. What state do you live in? Most states offer insurance for free with small co-pays....just dont give up! Oh and happy belated mothers day!
Hi there, just wanted to let you know that you can do it.  After about a week you will start to feel better.  I am on day 17 and feel great, lots of energy and my head is clear...although I am still not sleeping normal yet ( I don't know when that will come back hopefully soon)  I went through panic attacks and all that, my doctor gave me avitan and that really helped.  You can do it.  GOOD LUCK
I am detoxing from Percocet and Vicodin after about 3 months of use to get through hip pain and then hip surgery. I have been down to 1/2 -1 vicodin for the past few days and today have not had any. I am somewhat queasy, anxious, having trouble sleeping. I have found a lot of relief from a product called natural calm which is a powdered magnesium supplement. I take just a tsp a day and it does relieve restlessness, constipation, anxiety and aches. Just a suggestion in hopes it might help someone else too. You can order it online, just google Natural Calm supplements.
Update: three days later, my queasy feeling is diminishing although not entirely gone. Insomnia is better, emotions much better. I am getting through it and it's not pleasant but it is doable. Just thought I'd post an update to encourage others! You can do it!
hey guys i have been on tabs for around 4 years but this past year I have taken a huge amount, the #10s and even though i have good reason to take them i can not stand it any longer. I've gone cold turkey plenty of times before because i always run out early, but this time I've made my mind up when i realized that the pills just don't help with the pain anymore and i need to feel normal again even if I have to live with the pain. Today is day 2.5 and like usual it's been hell, but... this time i tried something different. a friend of mine told me to try pot, not to smoke it but bake it into food because it has more of a time release affect. I know pot is bad, but what else can you take that will help but not cause additional W/D? I have had a much easier time getting off tabs this time because of it, it still ***** i still can't sleep and i have the runs and RLS but i can tolerate it way better.
the way i go through W/D is the first 2 days are the worst and after day 4 things get noticeably better.

PLEASE don't take other pills that you'll just have WD with later, taper off or do it cold turkey, and use what ever herbal remedy you can find and pray that God will get you through this.    
I haven't posted in a while thought I'd provide an update: today is day 50 clean! Things are pretty normal now, I am sleeping at night and my intestinal track is regular lol. In fact I've been motivated to now move forward with my severe nicotine habit and kill it (I've been hooked on the gum for 5 years). Almost two weeks on the level 1 patches, about to move to level 2 - cut down method instead of the cold turkey like I did on the opiates. It was super hard to kick, but after about 35 days it really started to normal out. Sure I'll get a little thought about it now and again but I don't let it bother me and in fact I go for days without even thinking about it. Folks, as hard core addicted I was for as many years as I was (always an addict though), if I can quit, so can you.
It has been 2 months since I quit a 3-year Vicodin habit. (cold turkey)  I initially started because of a severe injury but continued to use after healing as it allowed me to cope with the stress of work and family.  I took one tablet a day for a long time but eventually got up to 10.   I am a respected professional in my town so the guilt associated with the addiction was overwhelming - I decided to quit.  Coming off cold turkey was as others have described quite unforgetting.  (which is good)  
The part I did not see coming was the intense depression.  Vicodin was my coping mechanism for stress so  now feel now that I cannot go on.   I really find that enjoy very little about life.  Here I am over two months clean and I still think about it all the time – especially when things get tough.   I really want to tune out.  I find that I think about how much I hate life all of the time and no matter how hard I try, I cannot fill the void that remains.
Any suggestions?
I'd recommend a couple of things - and I used to suffer from depression but the older I've gotten it doesn't bother me much any more, point being I understand it. And my wife suffers from severe depression and has for years. You made the right choice, being clean is the first step and be proud of that. Secondly and this is the toughest thing when depressed -- try to eat better and get a little exercise. I'm slowly getting better with that myself. Next, go to a doctor and discuss the symptoms and get on some meds if you and the doc feel its the right thing. I used to take an anti-depressant and it worked wonders. My wife has been on them for years, they do help her as well. Medicine is good if taken properly and for the right reasons. Just be aware, the first two weeks on most antidepressants is not pleasant, you feel strange but after a couple of weeks the levels get into your system and they start to work correctly. After all that, you may need even need more counseling but I'd start out with other things first. Good luck! I'm at day 56 clean today by the way and feel awesome.
I've posted before, and it helps to know there are people out there that have gone through this, so here I am yet again, and hope there are people out there to talk me through this again.
I have no choice but to quit cold turkey.  I have 3.5 pills left.  I called my doc, he said that he will no longer treat me, as I have broken our "contract".  I know what to expect, as I have gone through this before for 3 days.  Tomorrow will start day one.  This time, I will have my father here for support.  I hope it goes well for me.  He (my father) has never been through any of this before himself and says to me that it's all in my head.......I wish it was.  He will arrive here today around 6pm, and leave Tuesday.  Anyone know how long the WD acutally last for?  I want my life back, but I want to know how long will this take?
Hi jhart,

Glad to hear you are working to get clean. You won't regret it.

I am happy to talk with you about this and there are many others that will do the same and stay with you through the physical withdrawal. It makes it easier knowing that there are people to support you and who will not judge you.

Before we start talking, do yourself a favor. Go to the top of this page and hit the green "Post A Question" button. Copy and paste what you have here and start your own thread. This one is from 3 years ago. It is long and it confuses people as to who they are talking to. Not only that, it will return to archives rather quickly if it is accidently over looked. If you need help, just ask. I will be around for a bit and happy to help you.

See you in the forum!
MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON VICODEN CAUSE SHE COULDN'T FIND OUT WHAY I WAS HAVING REALLY BAD CHEST PAINS.. HEART ATTACK SYMPTOMS.. I ONLY BEEN ON IT FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AND I DIDNT LIKE THE FACT THAT I WAS GETTING IMMUNE TO THEM... I STOPPED A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT I HAD BAD STOMACH PAINS WITH LOOSE BOWEL MOVEMENTS AT LEAST 5 TIMES A DAY... SO I WOULD TAKE AT THE MOST 2 A DAY ONE IN THE MORNING AND THEN MAYBE ANOTHER IN THE EVENING... I FINALLY DECIDED TO GO COLD TURKEY.. THE FIRST DAY I STARTED TO HAVE STOMACH PAINS BUT INSTEAD OF WAITING I WENT TO THE ER AND TOLD THEM I THINK I WAS WITHDRAWING FROM VICS SO HE GAVE ME IMODIUM (immodium).. IT STARTED WORKING INSTANTLY AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY STOMACH PAINS SINCE... I AM ON DAY 3 OF NO VICS AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY STOMACH PAINS OF LOOSE BOWELS... I TAKE ALEVE FOR HEADACHES AND ZOLOFT FOR DEPRESSION.. THE ONLY SYMPTOM I CONTINUE TO HAVE IS YAWNING.. I CAN'T STOP YAWNING... LOL.. BUT I FINALLY FEEL MYSELF GETTING BACK TO NORMAL...
I am on a 10-12 pill a day habit for 2-3 years that has been made all too easy by an incompetent "Pain management " doctor.
He believed that you should not ever be in pain and was treating me for Migraines and neck pain. This is fine but he really didn't consider the addiction aspect of what he was proposing.
I was just happy to get some relief from the pain, but now I can't take how I feel from the medication so I am choosing to go cold turkey. I have cut down to 6/day now and will be quitting completely tomorrow.

All I can say is that I could not even get out of bed without taking the pills in the morning and laying there and waiting a while for them to let me feel "normal". This is not a normal way to live and I can't do it any more.
I have the vitamins and minerals and amino acid that are recommended by the Thomas Recipe and I also have a script for Klonopin which should help me sleep.
Wish me well.
I have been taking 1-2 vicodin pills a day for at least 6 months.  I was buying them on the street and taking them for 'recreational uses.' I have decided enough is enough and I need to stop.  I am on day 2 and I am just starting the feel sick from the withdrawal.  From what I have read, it seems like I will have a week or two of this.  I was just wondering if you can share with me the benefits of stopping vicodin so I can have motivation to turn too for those moments when I really feel like taking one.
I don't think you will suffer that long at all . I was taking 2 or 3 , 10/500 almost every day and I was sick maybe 3 days max ! Now let hope the phycological effects treat you as well . As far as the motivation factor ! How about not spending 2 or 3 months in anxiety Hell if you stopped after working up to say 10 or 20 ! Best of luck to you ..Jimmy
does anyone else get the stabbing pains in their stomach when u don't take the vicodins?  i've been trying to get off of them but like everyone else i have the coldsweats, restless leg syndrome, can't sleep, and am extremely irritable, & oh yeah, can't forget about the diarrhea. the biggest thing for me tho is i feel like someone is constantly stabbing me in the lower stomach...the pain is so bad that i lay in bed curled upl in the fetal position crying like a baby.  i'm 28 yrs old and have 2 kids...i know what pain is iv'e gone thru labor...this is by far the worst pain i have ever felt in my entire life.  is there any suggestions on how to get rid of the stomach pain???? please help!!!! i hear that when u go to rehab they give u xanax to come off opiates...however, they make me fall asleep, but honestly i'd rather feel lazy and sleepy for a week just to not have to go thru this pain.  i don't worry about getting addicted to other things bc i take my vicodins as perscribed but ive been taking them for 2 yrs now so it's really hard for me to come off of them. any advice at all plz tell!
You started another post just a bit ago and you have a response already and will get more. It would be easier for you if you stay in the other post. Good luck.
sorry i'm new here and have never posted on a forum before...how do i get back to that post??? lol
No problem. Here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/withdraw-symtoms/show/1269386

At any time you can scroll to the top of the page and hit the blue "Back to Forum" button. If you need anything else, just yell!
i have been on norco,vics, combined. 2norco 2vics +1/2norco every 6 hrs.  i started 5 years ago with just 4 vics a day now i am up to this.[i had foot surg. and they cut a nerv ,and fem promblems really bad, i want off them really bad .  i have been trying to cut back slowley but its really hard. i have been cutting the 1/2 in 1/2 that tuff wd onthat little are hard tomorrow i am getting rid  of the 1/2 i am really scared.  need some suport and tlc from someone out there that i can do this and it will get better,  from SCARED
he mentioned "life" nine times in his post 0-o
Ive been taking vicodens about 8 or 11 ah day and other opiades for the past 3 months & while i was on it i made so much bad decision im only 21 & it kills me understand that i have to depend on the substance to do anything productive, I stopped on wedsday at about one o clock and im doing pretty well due to the fact that i ween off it, But i really need everyones help understanding how much longer this will last because it been three days and im feeling alot better, but i need to know what can i do now to overcome the need for it anymore, and how much longer do i have to wait, thanx everyone god bless
First i want to say welcome to the forum, also you should post a question on you own thread,  Nobody will see your post this way. You need to go to the top of the forum where it says post a question. I might say ask a question, but that is where you need to go to ask your question.  This way you will get some help and get a lot of input
Good luck
Lisa
Jacksonville,FL
I have been taking vicidin for about 1 year ad 8 months..due to an injury, I crushed my ankle into peices. Ankle all healed now. I only got up to 4 a day when I was taking them. I tappered down dramatically over the past 6 months to the point of I would only take a half of a half like 3 times per day. so not even a whole one. I stopped taking them completely now for like 4 days.. I am VERY light headed and wondered is that normal? I do get the chills some and feel extremely tired. Headaches and nausia.. I was concerned about the nausia and light headedness.. I was getting light headed even before I stopped.. I didn't think it would be so bad because I was hardly taking any for awhile now.. I am going to doctor tomorrow to make sure this nausia and dizziness isn't a heart issue. Does anyone else have the dizziness? kinda feels like a floaty feeling.. Scared and need answers? From reading all these post, I am horrified now to take vicidin, I never dreamed this would happen to me..
Newby to this site, but not to the vics. I started taking them for sleep like a fool and couldn't stop, I take 4-6/day. Get them from a friend. So badly wanna quit, but like EVERYBODY is saying...it's hard! I took only one today. I had a slammin hot flash that wouldn't quit. I feel sorry for my little boy because I get so aggitated, so quickly. I have to stop and think of why I'm upset. Is it at him, or is it at me. Most of the time I'm aggitated from not having those stupid pills. I think of life, and how it was BEFORE those stupid pills came into my life, and I just wanna feel normal again. You know what? I'm terribly frightened of the withdrawals. I don't like alcohol, therefore I will not use it to console myself. My energy is low, but my little boy is constantly asking me for things and getting on my nerves. I need some alone time to do this. I work everyday, a RN, go figure! Was on my way to get some more vics tomorrow, but I'm really hoping to stop myself. This site, and hearing these stories is a great motivator. Especially that guy that was so hardcore and now he's ok. That's all I wanna be...is ok. Wish me luck and please prey for me. This page is just a big ol honesty page, and I love it. Very grateful..Good luck and I'll keep you all in my prayers.
Welcome to the forum! You have posted on an old post from 2007, Copy and paste your post and put it in a new one. Hit the green 'post a question' button then paste it in. Quitting is hard, but you can do it. Many of us have, you can too.
Its day 3 for me and I'm feeling the worst of it.I have had 7 back surgeries,my most recent being in April I have only been on norco 5/325 this time for 3 months the first time I was on them for 3 yrs it took 3 weeks for the anxiety to go away,Im hoping its all over soon I have 3 kids to take care of on my own.
So I read almost every post on this entire thread...even from 2007, and I hopefully can get some help.

I started popping vics 10MG/325 Norc's about 2-2 1/2 years ago.  Me and my friends would call them "pharmecuetical sundays" and we would pretty much take vics and watch football.  It was GREAT!!  I woke up on Mondays almost feeling sick from the vics so I wouldnt even think of taking them the next day.  I would work all week, go out with my friends on fridays and saturdays and then just eat Vic's on Sundays.  It was perfect...didnt affect my friends, health or pocketbook. (buying them from a dealer- no script). Then...

I was laid off in August of 2008 and was put on unemployment and at the same time my best friend (who was also in on pharmecuetical sundays) was also laid off.  We both got unemployment...COULD NOT FIND A JOB, and basically got bored.  1 day a week turned into 2, 2 turned into 3 and at the time never got more than maybe 4 days a week.  We had a rule that we wouldnt do them 2 days in a row...to avoid getting addicted.   We were really good about that and when our guy would be out for a couple of days and W/D's NEVER an issue.  Then...

In February 2009 after being pretty good about my pill intake I slipped on the ice (Chicago) and tore up my hip.  I have a torn labrum and bone spur that needs to be removed.  I got a script for the pain in February and it was also great...at first!!  I wasnt spending as much money because I was getting them through insurance at my new job (landed Sept. 09).  But since then it has been a real struggle with what I know I SHOULD do and what I CRAVE to do.

We here I am in July...my hip surgery is August 19th and I dont know what to do. I get 30 10/325's for a week and a half...they normally last 3-4 days.  After that I call my dealer and get more if need at 6/dollars a pill. Here I am spending a TON of money...waking up craving vics and I havent even had my surgery yet!!

My dealer recently got busted...this is day 3 for me and it had been tough. Restless legs, chills, hot flashes, diahrrea etc...

Any advice for how to handle my impending surgery and the inevetible fact that I will NEED these after my surgery.  Please advise.  Thanks and good luck out there!!!
Hi All,
I'm also addicted to Vicodin and was rushed to the hospital this morning because of the withdraws. I have had two surgerys, Arthiritis in the spine, nevrve damage and scare tissue on both nerve roots running down both legs. I stopped and took my last one on Saturday July 31st. I was driving into work this morning and had blurred vision where I couldn't see very good. I'm going through vicious withdraws right now sick as many mentioned above and more. I'm in a position where eihter I take the meds? or I go through my pain. I really believe this is going to kill me either way.
I've been taking Vicodin for the past ten or so years for chronic pain after I broke my back while serving in the military. Five years ago, I was also prescribed MS Contin (morphine, 60 mg a day) that I took for about three years. I discontinued the morphine on my own two years ago and went through chills, sweats, diarrhea, what have you. The symptoms subsided after ten days or so. No big deal! I continued taking Vicodin, though, at a rate of 1.5 - 3 a day (7.5/500) and rarely 4, depending on the severity of the pain. The idea is to keep the pain at bay to function in daily life. I am currently on vacation and have been taking a half pill a day for the past three days (playing it safe as I am not under a doctor's care for going cold turkey) to determine the extent of the pain I am still in. It's excruciating, to say the least. I will have to increase the dosage today so that I can reasonably move through life again. So ... to all of you who think the drug should be illegal: it's a well known fact that people who don't NEED the opiates are the ones who get addicted to them. For those of us who need them to FUNCTION in daily life, they are a blessing. In the ten years I've taken them, I've not once took more - or wished to take more than I was prescribed. In fact, I've taken as little as I could get away with, while getting my Master's degree and getting out of bed for the past three years to teach at a local university. Fact is, withdrawal symptoms are unavoidable with opiates. If your pain is manageable without them, accept that you will have sweats, chills, diarrhea, nausea, insomnia, etc. for a few days. Most drugs, including antidepressants, will affect you in some way after you take them for years and then discontinue them.
I am also a person who has taken vicodin / percocet / oxy / norco / lortab etc... for the past several years and have successfully stopped "on my own".  I put that in quotes because it wasn't really on my own at all.  There is a reason that any rehab / detox program only works 5% of the time and that is because they only treat the symptoms and not the problem.  Same thing I am reading over and over here in this forum.  So many people really seem to want to stop, but don't really seem to have the ability to do it.  That is because you aren't treating the core issue in your life.  The addiction isn't the problem.  The lack of Christ in your life is the real issue.  I'm sure most of you will quit reading right now and that is why you will keep struggling with not just addiction to pills, but other things in life as well.  I'm not saying following Christ is easy, because it isn't... but it certainly beats the alternative.  The thing is that you can't do it just part of the way... this is an all or nothing proposition.  You have to give Him full control of your life or continue to think you are in control.  You can see where that has gotten you so far.  I would encourage you to just give as much as you know about yourself to as much as you know about Christ and allow Him to make the increase.  Pick up a bible and start reading it... ask God to make it clear to you.  A great book out there that will help make things make more sense is a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  It is easily the best book besides the bible that I have ever read.  I encourage all of you to seek the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind, body, and soul... it is a ride you won't regret.
feel free to email me at the following address if you would really like to get serious about this life and the next:
Justin at bcoutreach.org
you can figure out the email... with the spam now a days you have to do that to keep your inbox from getting flooded.    :)

Matthew 22:36-40(NASB)
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”  
And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’  
“This is the great and foremost commandment.  
“The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’  
“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
That ***** I was in a near fatal car accident about 6months ago and lost my left leg and had lots of third degree burns I also have developed a condion that causes extra bone to grow in the soft tissue called heterotopic ossification, this causes a tremendous amount of pain! And I have seen at least seven trauma ortopeadic surgeons and only one of them even knew about it. He said that even when he takes the extra bone out there is a very small chance that the pain will subside and that I will more than likely be on narco and oxycontin for the rest of my life, and I'm only 21 and have already grown ouite a tolerance so I'm sure that they will have to up the dosage. Anyway I respect you so much for having the courage to get off of them because even if I hade the option to quit I know that I wouldn't be strong enough. Good luck and god bless you.
August 20th I took my last vicodin. I took xanez and over the counter sleeping pills at night to help me sleep. I was doing good until yesterday and I took 5 lortab. Did I totally mess up? Am I now gonna have to start the process all over again. I have been severely depressed and I dont know if I am strong enough to start all over. Help!
Yea you have to start over but it will not be as bad. I was clean for 3 years and started back up 2 years ago I am on day 8 with out anything have not sleep in days sleep one hour tonight and here I am up once more for the night. I have done this before from 5 80mg oxy a day with the needle and that was bad I was snorting 40mg oxy a day until 8 days ago. I have done this before can do it this time the only thing that worrys me I had a seziure last night and there is no one but me here hope that dont happen anymore. I will beat this stupid little pills once more but, can I keep them out of my life forever. I hate being a drug addict !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
welcome to the forum hey congrats on 8 days clean....good work on 3 yrs b/4 that
you may want to try some type of recovery care this time around N/A ana A/A have free programs ant the 12 steps work if you work them there are also addiction conslors out there for one on one help but as a general rule most people on this forum that have any major clean time have done it with aftercare...this might just be the missing ingredient for you
good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
When I got clean before went to many  NA meetings and , other meetings I dont feel to bad today I will start back with the meetings. I just have to get by the mental part of it and run away from any were there are pills cant ture them down and you know what they say one is not enough and 1,000 is to many. I know this can be done and the way I feel today I know I can do it just have to stay far away from them. And if there is anyone out there that wants off of them it can be done but wont be easy. As you know life is not easy with or without drugs.
Vicodin is like a chain saw powerful effective and a wonderful tool (med)
Like a chain saw it can do devastating damage a lot or a little it can and will hurt you if you are not supper careful!

RESPECT understand and know how to use either your chain saw or your Vicodin!

I have chronic back pain and have gotten up to using 4 10/660 per day mostly in the evening. I have been chronic about getting addicted for the last year since I got up to this level ( it was lower amount back then but I knew it was not good).

I will probably use vicodin again in my life because it can be a very useful and good medication.  

For some of us we can and do take it like a person who had a few drinks and it is seems relatively harmless and probably is if we are not using it to get High and just to manage the pain. Truth is some times I took it for the pain and a little to feel good since I needed it for the pain anyway…..(DANGER WILL ROBBINSON DANGER! LOL).

If you take it exclusively for the pain NEVER for the high you will probably not have a big problem if you are not exceeding the dosing??????

I took it 80-85% for pain and the other 15% for the happy head…..I did this for a year straight and had been doing it on and off even longer…..

Let me jump in and make a point here:
I knew I was in the gray area of addiction?????
I did not really crave the vicodin and for the most part used it for legitimate pain management. But I was using it at times for pain management with happy head!
IMHO if you seek happy head 1x per week or more you are at risk!!!!!!!
This is just my opinion but for those of us who will probably have to use Vicodin for legitimate pain control this is a big warning sign!!!!!!
My point is I am not saying never use!!!
I am saying some of us can but we must be very very carful and watch for the first signs of addiction!!!!!!!

Here is my story:

I was very Very careful about not getting hooked and on days when I did not need as much I took less…. So I was at a very low level of personal addiction at best…..BUT!my body was much more addicted than I knew!!!!!!

I had an incident last week where I had 3 drinks, I was feeling great but the back pain kicked in. I took one vic ES 7.7/750  ( I knew better than to drink and take vic I like my liver and so should you) . well I had two more drinks and I was in big trouble….
Alcohol poisoning and into the ER I went……I am almost 50……never had  an incident like this!
Once out between the of ER it has been a very long week.
I knew to whine myself off, I was able to use less than 10 mg at the most probably more like 5 mg a day…..I have not even had any cravings  for the vicodin  but between the alcohol poisoning and cutting out the vicodine My body is making me feel like $#!t …..

I consider myself very lucky that I got to this first stage of addiction and am getting off as ez as I am and I am freaking miserable!
I am lucky that I have Xanex that can help a lot ( careful that is a very addictive drug too). I got through my day never needing more than 2mg of the xanex…..

Today  one week into it I am almost half way into my day no xanax or Vic yet…..
Slow painful possess……..

To conclude my long story:
If you are a long time user of the Vic be extra careful!!!!!
Keep track of how much you take each day!
How often you use it for something other than pain control!

Naproxen ( Alive over the counter ) works well for my pain but it will eat a hole in your stomach I take it with Pepsid and lots of water.

I really need to go cut some stuff up with a chain saw now!
I will take it slow if I do it at all…..baby steps at best.

Remember the my opening :

Well one last thing to ad to that, both are indifferent to you and don’t know or care how bad they hurt you! You must be the one to be vigilant and respect and take care not to get hurt!!!!! It only takes one time to do irreparable harm and damage!
If you are lucky like me you will only feel bad for an extended time until you are able to heal and get better.

Regards,

Mike On Long Island
I hope this helps someone!

Story written from laptop on the toilet….sorry if that is too much info but this ain’t over for me yet…..be careful and good luck!

One last thing:
You really should proof read before you post here!
( Hey take it ez on me I am still recovering from vicodin addiction)
Hi Turbodmc,

Knowing that you posted this on the toilet was surely more information then I needed. Nonetheless, I just wanted to let you know that this post is from over 2 and 1/2 years ago and the person you are talking to is no longer an active member.

If you would like to ask for help in the forum you can do so by going tot he top of this page and hitting the green post a question button. Good luck!
Sorry about the TMI ( too much info)Well in my defense  it further proves the point that there is nothing attractive about addiction ….lol

I think I was trying to offer my 2 cents to anyone who may read here..
I knew I was on the brink of the addiction and I finally had an incident that caused me to cross the line and have a problem.

I hope my post offers help to not those who need or are in recovery as much as those who can hopefully avoid getting to that point.

Hope that makes sence, often people make this into a black and white use don’t use issue.
If you are going to use you must be vigilant and know the warning signs before you get into deep trouble.  

I am sure I will consume alcohol again one day ( right now ewwwww I was never much of a drinker so it is not a big deal for me one way or the other)…. I sadly will at some point need to use Vicodin for my pain again…….I have new found respect for it now that I have felt what it feels like to go through withdrawal. Withdrawal ***** and I don’t even have a bad case of it! .  

Just trying to get some personal experience to the in between people like myself.

Thank you for the reply

Mike
I have been taking 10/325s for years it started with my first MX accident and then year after year in the ER has not helped now at 47 Im broke mentally and physically I have tried to kick these things ( 4-6 per day ) with a beer here and there a few times but after the side effects I find the real PAIN never goes away... Now I have noticed that my memory seems to be effected?? I mispell words and have the hardest time remembering names and dates anyone have any thoughts
Hi Jerry,

This is Turbo the guy who posted before you I am the same age as you so I can relate.…..I have been off vicodin now for 10 days.
I have chronic back pain I think that if you can take it easy and do some other things to ease the physical pain there are non narcotic things that help…..Xanex is a great Rx that can help you through this ( careful some people get hooked on it and it may be a stronger addiction than the codeine  based stuff).

I was up to four 10/660 so I was also in the range of what you are taking….
I did not really crave the vicodin but my body sure knew when I stopped using it…

I think you have to ask yourself if you ever use to get happy head or is it just for pain?
I sort of know the answer, you need it for the pain but like the head it gives you too.

4-6 per day should not be that hard to kick if you really want to.
(The people who I pity are the 20+ per day users….man that can’t be EZ).

I guess the question I would have is this?
Are you trying to get off the stuff alone or are you willing to use more traditional ways?
I did it on my own but I did have a Doctor I was able to get guidance from.
The Xanex can help with the withdrawal issues (and also the pain  in many cases).

If you are a DIY type of guy like me and you are reluctant to get help I can make this recommendation ( I still recommend having a Dr on board, I assume you have one since you have an Rx for the stuff).

I went from 40 to less then 10 in one day and had withdrawal symptoms, I then took about 5 days of taking less than 10 mg until I was off….it sort of sucked I can tell you that.   If you are going to try to stop on your own I think the best way wld be to whine yourself off…..you didn’t start by taking 4-6 a day so don’t just assume you can stop abruptly…try to cut down ( it is not EZ) but you can o it…..get a one month pill case and at the end of the month you will be off the stuff……

If you took 6 today then tmrw only take 5  and the next day 5 max but shoot for 41/2 after 4 ½  no more than 4 you can stay there for up to 3 days but see how fast you can get to 31/2 per day max…..if you are at 3 ½  the next day only 3 shld not be that hard to do…..it is ok to stay at 3 for a few days if you have to….but now your limit is 2 ½ ….ok to stay there for a few days but goal is to me on no more than 2 per day…….you see that this is workable may have to stay at 2 per day longer than a few days but 2 is better than the 6 you where taking…… this can an will work……you will have some **** days or parts of some days will feel like **** but you can and will get through it……it feel good to get off of it….other crap in your life may still suck but welcome to life…..getting off the meds will make part of your life better…..

Good Luck sounds like you are ready, go for it and go do it….or should I say stop doing it!

Hope that helps! I just did it so I know what it is like….but I did it!
I am 51 and had been taking vicodin 10mg for serveral years. About a yr ago I noticed I could not remember some simple things. I would forget words I wanted to use in a sentence or to describe something, those simple words became hard to find. Eventually I would start to say something and forget totally what I was talking about. I thought I was getting Alzheimer's and my husband would laugh at me. Words became harder and harder to find sometimes. It took me a while before I connected with the vicodin. It was a scary thing.

I decided to get off the vicodin and get clean. It took a month or so to clear my head. Now I have found that words are coming easier and I am not losing track of my words or losing conversations. Man what a relief, I thought I honestly had Alzheimer's.

I will be honest coming off the vicodin is not a easy thing. I went cold turkey, so I am not sure about tapering, but you can expect withdrawals. After all you have been on the medicine for a long time. My withdrawals lasted about 7-10 days. My worse days being around the 5th and 6th day, then gradually I started feeling better. A lot of people have much shorter withdrawal periods with the worse peaking around the 3rd of 4th day.

Then you will have some time with insomnia for a while, but little by little you begin to feel yourself again. Lets say everyday clean the colors of a rainbow will get brighter and brighter.

Good luck to you and do some research and find out what you are facing. Coming here and reading or posting questions is a great help as you will find everyone very helpful and supportive, strong and fascinating.
Thanks I really wanted to see a reply to my post this morning I took 4 yesterday I went to rite aid on the way home and bought a weekly pill box and put 4 in for wed,thur,fri, and then 3 sat,sun,mon,tue I will see how that works because truthfully I have not really kept track when I would get my 30 day scrip I would just pop them through teh month then when i ran low I would regulate myself pretty sad really But I have noticed that I am more open and talkative after I have a norco or two?? I had a small coke problem in the 80's and if I did coke I would be very reclusive kind of strange but opiates make me talk like Im on speed ? I spoke it a counsler about my youngeest son they thought he had ADHD like everyother kid in the 90's and found that even adults with ADHD react different when given speed or downers.  Well enough about me thanks for the help lets see how the DIY and treatment works and janet19 thanks for insight that its not just me but the pills that are making me loss it.. talk to you later
to al of the people posting on this thread, the reason you arent getting any answers is that this is a very old thread. Welcome to the forum. If you go to the home page, go to ask a question, you will start your very own thread and get amazing support and advice. It will help you through this rough part of recovery. Thanks for posting and sorry you havent gotten the replies.
Ok, so did you have any trouble using only 4 today?

If you are having truble with the pain you probably can take one tylanol with the 10/325?

I have found that the tylnol is the bulk of the pain killer in the meds...the opeate tends to   make you not care as much about it...?

Like I said in the past, you didn't get to this point in one day so you can get off the stuff a little at a time the same way....I had a crap morning and I am off for more than 10 days....some times you have crap days.....so hang in there....some times the feeling that you need to take it will pass in as little as 10 min some times an hour.....but it does pass....stay strong and know that it will pass.....
I am on the sidelines and watching someone who is going through cold turkey.  I am unsure of how many vic's he took in a day, he had fever and chills yesterday, first day.  Tired and fatiuge today.  I know he is doing it for the right reasons, and we both understand it is going to be a long journey.  Asking those who went through wd, what is the one thing someone could have giving you while on the sidelines?
I Think cold turkey is the way to go. I have been addicteded twice in my life the most recent for the past six years. I was taking 6 to ten 750s per day. You will generally get sick as you withdraw as your natural antibodies need to build up. We have been replacing them with the opiates so they will need to refire. Life is much better after withdrawl (withdrawal). You are through the worst of it and it gets better every day. It is so easy to go back as you will miss that pick me up but your personal life, clear head and natural energy will make it all worthwhile. All the best and perseverance to us all. D
I have been an addict for 3 years.  Taking average 4-6 10/325 norcos a day.  To some peoples that's not much, however I'm a small person with a high metabolism.  If I took 3 at once I was butter on a piece of toast.  Drooling on myself playing Madden or Call of Duty on my Xbox.  I have lost my job long time ago, all of my friends.  And my wife and I are seperated.  Addiction runs in my family.  My mother has been hooked to pain pills for 23 years.  However she's had 6 different surgeries, 4 being on her back which also resulted in 2 fusions that lasted only a few years at a time.  And my father has had a long history of alcohal (alcohol) abuse.  My sister somehow recovered from SMOKING Oxycontin.  Sometimes I wander if she really did quit cold turkey because that stuff is HARD.  
I've tried so many things.  From taking Paxil, Lexapro, Xanax, Trazadone, even Tramadol for pain relief.  NONE of it worked for me.  I was hooked to Opiates for many reasons, not just for pain.  It was my escape.  I had so many unhappy things in my life to feel numb and not think about my mistakes I thought was helping me be a better person.  I felt that while on Vicodin I could work harder, make more money, treat my wife to little vacations and hiking trips.  I was restoring cars at an alarming rate to the point that strangers that bought my projects asked me "jokingly" if I was on drugs.  

For the last 2 years I've been fighting myself to stop taking pills.  I'll go to bed at night hating myself for taking pills thinking I can stop the next day, and before I can even put clothes on for work I was in the bathroom with pill "fix"  This is not a way to live.  I've been loaded for so long that I don't even remember what I was like BEFORE I took my first pill.  

Yesterday I ran across this board and I was amazed at the stories I read.  not only am I not alone, but there are people that are far worse off than I am that are doing the same thing.  About a year ago when my health was at its worst (not eating right and not sleeping at all) thats when I confronted my wife and tried to quit.  I lasted a whole 5 days and each day the WDs got worse and worse.  I relapsed without telling my wife and tried to pretend that I was off.  She knew though.  A few months later I moved 1,200 miles away seeking help.  (washington state wants your first born if a person doesn't have insurance)

Its been 11 months today since i moved away from my wife, and I'm still trying to quit.  I took 4 yesterday, however I read a lot of these stories and it inspired me to try new methods.  I woke up this morning knowing how difficult it was going to be.  And its hell.  I woke up at 330am and have been up since.  I've tried reading a book, watching TV.  Its amazing how sick a person can be over a pill.  I almost made it 24 hours without a pill and after my 7th trip in 2 hours to the bathroom I just couldn't handle it.  I'm weak.  I'd rather have my wife pluck the hair off my back than go through this crap.  maybe tomorrow will be better after taking 1 today (assuming) that's all I take.  That bathroom trips are just as bad as Bin Ladens biochemical warfare.  Explosive and deadly.  

The only thing that has helped me sleep a wink at night is smoking a ton of pot.  I'm replacing one drug with another I know.  But one demon at a time right?  At least the pot somewhat takes away the RLS and joint pain that I deal with at night.  I'll  be a frequent visitor to this site in hopes other peoples stories will help me get through my own.    
I have been taking Vicadin (7.5) for over 4 years. I have advanced disc and joint disease--often my discs are herniated. Also I suffer from thorasic outlet, I have a short leg (my pelvis is jacked up). I recently cut back on my meds and thought I was experiencing liver disease--my stool was liquid and bright yellow and frequent. Very depressed, exceedingly lethargic (lay in bed for ten or eleven hours, though only able to sleep fore five to six hours). I would like to quit. But my fear is the pain which the pills are designed to mask. Has anyone with extreme pain (chronic due perhaps to a disease) quit successfully only to discover that living with chronic pain is worse than living with drug addiction?
I am back after day 4 of weening off slowly.  I wasn't able to stop cold turkey as I found the withdrawls so powerful I couldn't handle it.  I went from taking an average of 5 pills to: Day 1 - 2 1/2  Day 2 - 1 1/2 (WDs worse) Day 3 - 2 1/2 (WDs killing me) Day 4 - 1 1/2.  My first 3 days of weening down has been fairly okay on the exception of Day 3.  The RLS and fatigue is what is killing me.  However in my recent experiences trying to quit I'm finding this time much easier.  Not just to ween off, but stay mentally focused and fight myself everyday to not relapse so bad.  I have been taking a ton of supplements and I have to say its helping.  Here is my list:

Kinkgo Biloba 120 mg (1 a day)
Niacin 250 mg time released (1 a day)
Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc (2 a day)
Potassium Gluconate 595 mg (1 a day)
Vitamin B12 Complex (1 a day)
Omega 3 Fish Oil 1200 mg (1 a day)
Soya Lecithin 1200 mg (1 a day)
IBProfun 800 mg (1 before I go to bed)
Nyquil (taken before bed time)

Today is the beginning of day 4.  I honestly have to say that I woke up from a fairly good night of sleep.  The RLS didn't exist at all during the night.  I woke up many times, but never in pain.  And I never had to smoke pot to fall asleep at all.  Now when I take my Vicodin its usually first thing in the morning.  In the past I've always had my daily dose by noon.  Whether it was 3-5 pills over a 5 hour stretch.  And maybe a 6th pill if I were working longer hours later in the evening.  I probably could have gone today taking nothing, or maybe just half of a 10mg Vicodin.  I had a mini relapse that I felt so good naturally that I was happy with myself enough to take a small dose of Vicodin?   My problem is I've associated my entire life around Vicodin.  

To help with the recovery I also eat one banana in the morning, and another at night.  I've loaded up on Potassium.  It makes a difference.  I have an addictive personality.  When I find something I like its hard to say no to it.  I'm not completely off the pills but I have to say weening down will make this easier.  Some people have to ween over a few weeks maybe a month... I've managed it for 4 days and already feel better.  My goal is by the beginning of day 8, wake up and take nothing.  I also think its very important to take the supplements as soon as possible along with weening down at the same time.  Dont wait.  Just do it.  You have to WANT to quit.  If you feel that you HAVE to, it won't last.  A person has to WANT this addiction gone.  That's the only way I have found for myself to quit.  

Get a hold of your life.  Be in control of yourself.  Don't let the Vicodin run your life.  Its a hard hard hard road to journey on, but there is an end to the madness.  Good luck to everyone that is trying to detox.  If you have the time to sit at home for 2 weeks, get it done and over with.  If you have kids, send them to Gma's or a close friend/family member that will help take care of them.  My mother has been taking Methadone and Vicodin for 23 years!  Honestly she's fried.  She's not the same person I remember as a child.  And she's horribly depressed.  Well overweight, lazy, constantly sick... and hermits herself in the bedroom and never comes out.  That's not a healthy acceptable way to live.  And I was on my way.  Stop as soon as you can!  
I am back and I can honestly say I am now 4 days completely clean of OPIATES.  I feel small amounts of pain, hot showers or soaks in the tub are best thing for that.  Diahrea is frequent.  But today I finally ate a full dinner.  I actually felt hungry.  I feel so much more as each day has passed.  How am I detoxing so easily?  I WANT TO LIVE A SOBER LIFE. I WANT IT!!!! trust me I would have relapsed on day 2 if I didn't snag my laptop and leave my house for the weekend to my sisters, leaving all temptation at home.  She has done a great job feeding me and understanding what I'm going through.  For those trying to quit, follow my recipe listed above!  It works for me it just might work for you!  Everyday I've woken up feeling a little better.  Its been so long since I've been Sober that I don't remember what it feels like.  The last 2 nights I have had 5 shots of jack Daniels WITH a Trazadone and I managed to get 6-7 hours of solid sleep.  If I try one without the other I get 2-4 hours of sleep.  For me mixing the two works.  I haven't been drinking as much water as I should, and I know alcohal (alcohol) dehydrates the body.  I've been slacking on water.  

Everyone you can stop taking pills!  Get in control of your life and enjoy being sober!  I woke up day 1 feeling like I didn't need a pill.  It took 2 years for that day to come.  I can't wait until I'm fully recovered and clean so I can move home to be with my wife.  I miss her big warm boobies lol
Hi All,

I've been reading your posts with great interest. I'm a former heroin addict, then buprenorphine addict (Subutex, Suboxone) now a codeine addict. I used codeine to help me with withdrawals from Subutex and ended up addicted to codeine. I take on average 600mg of codeine a day. This roughly equates to 100mg of hydrocodone. I'm Australian and we don't use hydrocodone here, but you can buy tabs of up to 15mg codeine over the counter (they have 500mg paracetamol/actaminophen though).

Now I'm writing this because I might have some useul advice to offer you about withdrawal. I withdrawn in medical facilities and at home. I have had pretty intenst withdrawals about 5 times over the past 3 years. from the sounds of it, withdrawing from subutex sounds similar to codeine except it lasts much longer. You don't even peak until day 7-10 and it doesn't really start to subside at all until day 14.

I will tell you this from experiences. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get help, advice and medical support from a doc who is an addiction specialist. There are medications that can be given to you to ease the WD process. Your doc can put in place particular interventions for you like only write a script for a very small number (like 3) pills at a time so you can't abuse it and take it all.

Things I have found to be very useful in withdrawals are as follows.

1. immodium or generic name loperamide. over the counter anti-diarrhoeal. Really really helps.
2. ibuprofen and paracetamol/acetaminophen for aches and pains and sweats. the paracetamol does help a little bit with the hold colds. Only a little but sometimes that's all you need just to get by.
3. something to get some sleep. personally i find zolpidem the best, as it puts me to sleep without sedating me. I find the sedation can make the restless body symptoms worse unless it is enough to actually knock you out. However, get supervision with zolpidem as you don't want to abuse it. ie - get your doc to only give you a few day's worth at a time and to help you taper  over 2-3 weeks.
4. valium for anxiety during the day - but not sure how appropriate that is to do at home. I've had this in detox centres and in that context ok coz you can't abuse it. And they give it to you based on the severity of your withdrawal symptoms so when you actually need it not when you 'want' it.

If you can, go to a detox centre. It is a much much better way to do it.

Alcohol makes withdrawal symptoms worse. It will not help sleep - makes restless body symptoms worse.

NOW! in regards to a few other things. I noticed on another thread van tiger talked about the importance of disclosure. I absolutley agree. Don't hide it from your loved ones it doesn't help. I'm 28 and I've had a problem for 8 years never told my parents and did the other day for the first time. They were absolutley fantastic and supportive and are going to help me. I realised that NOT telling them was part of me not truly wanting to quit drugs.

Don't stuff around with this. I urge you to imagine you could wave a magic wand and put interventions in place which would work. What would they be?  I always knew the answer to that but came up with reasons why I couldn't do those things. Basically I realised those reasons I came up with were crap and ********.  So I'm going to get the PROPER help I need this time. Don't hold back. If you can access the care, do.

I can access free residential detox in Aus, but I intend to get a naltrexone implant after detox which will cost me 3000. I have to fly interstate for that and I have no money I am a full time student. So I'm going to get a loan to pay for it.

There probably are ways you can get the help you need if you are honest with yourself. Tell your loved ones too. I think in most cases it would be beneficial. Being alone with this is part of the problem.  blah blah out of steam at the moment. I'm going for my assessment appt for detox tomorrow! yay. I'm really looking forward to detoxing this time!

Nuts I know but I'm looking forward to the wonderful bright future i have without drugs
So I started out with artheritas (Not sure of correct spelling) in my legs, need a hip transplant after 25 yeras in construction and have a bad siatic (sciatic) nerve. So I start taking vic's as my doctors suggestion. What a mistake. I take 5 7.5 a day and hate the power they have over me. I must admit when I take them I function great. I deal with high net worth clients. I always do the same thing, take my two weeks supply and am short by 2-3 days then I start scrambling to borrow from freinds and family (seems like evryone has these things). When I get my refill in 2-3 three days I am going to try slowing down to nothing. Figure a month very slowly as I can't go through wd given my work schedule 7-7 in meetings everyday. I would rather deal with the pain then take these things. If I could take maybe 2 a day I would be ok with that but I know what will happen. Goodluck to all you out there.
Hi, I'm sort of in the same boat you are in except I'm on day 5 and I don't feel so hot...in fact I felt like dying (not suicide) a couple times.  I was off the vics for a year and a half and started back up because of a kidney stone.  I felt like I could handle it and I don't know how but I forgot (or blocked it out of my mind perhaps).  I was on vics for almost 6 months.

I'm not gonna lie to you, going off vics might be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life.  Now, having said that, let me give you some hope.  When I went off of them and after the withdrawals subsided I felt happy again after a few weeks.  That's not to say it will take weeks to get over w/d but to start feeling like a human again.  This is one time you DON'T want to listen to what your body and mind are saying.  They're gonna say OMG I can't live without it and this pain will never end.  That's not true of course but it can feel like it.

Now there are some people that have taken vics or other opiates that I've read and had little to no w/d's.  While that's pretty unlikely that happen to you, you could luck out.  This will be my 5th time going off the vics.  I just made a stupid mistake getting back on them.  I went without them for a year a half and I forgot how powerful they are.  They distort your thinking...that is logical thinking.  You've got to remember that optiates flood your brain receptors and it's stops producing dopamine because you're getting an excess of it.  When you stop it can be quite unpleasant.  But I'm happy to say those horrible cravings and anxiety you get from running out or even thinking about running out can almost completely go away.  I say almost because once in a while I would think about them.  At first I didn't think I could manage, but I did.

It's hard for me to know what your pain (or anyone else's) is like (physical that is), but the times I've had physical pain is nothing like the psychological pain of w/d.  I mean, ya know if you need them for pain, then you need them, but if the vicodin is causing you worse pain than your original pain, you should stop.  There are quite a few new non-narcotic drugs out there that stop or at least greatly minimize the pain.

The bottom line is if you want to get off of them, you can.  It's not easy but to be able to go throughout the day without thinking....well I need to take some vics before I do this or that is amazing. Good Luck!
I am a fifty two year old women and I've been addicted to vicodin for about 4 years, hardcore 2. 160 per month. I just went off cold turkey 12 days ago. head cleared about second day, but flu like symptoms, bad body aches. sleepless nights. But at about 10 days into it Im fine. more relaxed, I think if you can do it the tapering off it would be easier, I did'nt get that choice. I do feel alot more fresh minded and alert, but notice every pain i knees and headaches. joint pain. But I feel even that gets better everyday. Good luck on all of your journey. Pamela Veenhoven MI
Hey congrats on 12 days clean sounds llike you C/Ted it bout you got it done you been an addict long enough to need aftercare your whole way of thinking has to change for you to stay clean getting clean is the ez part its staying that way that takes the work I wieh you the best of luck with your recovery........Gnarly
I hear a lot of people talking about taking xanax to help them sleep through withdrawals.  Please be advised that Xanax is very addictive too.  In fact, Alcohol and Benzo withdrawals are the only withdrawals that can be fatal...though opiate withdrawals feel like they will kill you..they wont.  I am going through it right now.
Well I was off of them and then back on but now I've got a problem.  Number one I've had blurred vision for the last several months and some headaches.  In addition to that I had kidney stones.  Well  I have them again but the pain isn't horribly bad right now but I'm taking Vicodin ES for that.  I was almost off of it again sigh....

I just had a CT scan done last week because of the blurred vision and the increasing headaches  I have been taking more Vics than supposed to but at the same time the headaches have gotten worse.  The kidney stones have passed before and I have new ones again but it's the headaches now that are bothering me.

I posted in another forum and I know this isn't the forum for this about this but maybe someone can tell me what this means. I'm very concerned about it!   I'm going in for an MRI today but this is what the CT tech said.  Please, if someone can shed some light on what this means please tell me!  This is what the whole report said:

"Dose report: Total exam DLP = 941.43mGy-cm

FINDINGS: Ventricular system appears to be normal. There is no mass effect or shift of midline structures.  I do not see any collections.  Cortical sulci and gyri appear to be normal.

There is an area of decreased attenuation in the medial aspect of the right temporal lobe region.  I am not sure whether this is artifactual or due to a true observation.  To further evaluate, an MRI of the brain with and without gadolinium enhancement is recommended.

The study of the calvarium using bone windows does not show any abnormalities.

IMPRESSION: There is an area of decreased attenuation along the medial aspect of the right temporal lobe.  To further evaluate, an MRI of the brain with and without gadolinium enhancement is recommended."

I also have some blood tests ordered.  a BUN and a Creatinine

From what little I could find and/or decipher from the web, this could be anything from a stroke to a brain tumor or nothing at all.  Since I've had this blurred vision for several months and the eye doctors and Opthomologists can't seem to find anything wrong with me, I'm opting for something Neurological.

Any help would be SO GREATLY appreciated!
Hi.I have been taking vicodin for 3 years now and i just quit cold turkey.Its been 2days now and i havent had aby sleep sine.I've missed 2 days of work already and can't find a combination of over the counter drugs to put me to sleep.Any thouhts on this?
i was taking 5-6 per day sometimes more  like 8.-9
I was addicted, and i mean ADDICTED to vics for 6 years, I finally decided enough was enough when i was going thru up to 30 a day....5 or 6 at a time...mostly the 750's but sometimes the 1000 mgs. Mine also started out medically, car accident, uncaring physician, many botched surgeries. The best thing is to find SUPPORT thru your withdrawl (withdrawal) from people that love u and u trust them with ur demons. I don't want to scare anyone but in my case I stopped cold turkey and literally felt in every way  possible (physically and mentally) that I was gonna die! But I will tell u this, I am 2 yrs sober and my life is MY LIFE now, not the drugs, docs  or pushers. All the pain in the world is worth just getting ur freedom back so don't ever quit quitting!. There  will be a day where u wake up feeling just a little less in hell in(for my severe case that was at the 2 month stage) u can only go up from there....one day at a time my friends! I am FREEEEEEEEEE
Don't stop trying!  
I was involved in an off road motorcycle accident last summer. A minor accident, but damaged my knee.  It hurt badly.  A friend gave me some vics and let me know where I could get more.  By Christmas I was taking a minimum of 12 a day.  
A week and a half ago I found the strength in me to stop taking them.  The w/d are a horrible, dark, painful experience.  Something I read about but had never expected to be THAT unbearable.  I didn't quit cold turkey, I did a significant drop to 1 and a half a day.  When the pain was beyond unbearable I would eat half a vic. and I would only do that 3 times a day.
My appetite vanished.  I could not force myself to eat.  I had no strength. I could not sleep.  As others have described it like having a bad case of the flu. Body aches, sweating, chills.  The w/d is evil and is pushing to give it what it wants: more vicodin.  
I am happily married to a wonderful woman, we are blessed with two children.  My wife never knew I was taking them.  There were so many times I wanted to tell her, and ask for her help.  I read an online article that claimed when an addicted person confessed to the spouse, he or she would not trust the addicted person. Because the addict's focus is to get drugs, the spouse naturally feels betrayed.  That terrified me. So, I said nothing to her.  She is everything to me, even after ten years, and the guilt I felt was the push I needed.
The only person that knew I was taking them was the "friend" that was providing them.  He was getting good money out of me for it- He never seemed concerned about my addiction. I suppose he figured I am a grown man and make my own decisions.  He sends me text messages each day asking if I need more.  I have been telling him "no" for almost two weeks.  He has expressed concern in the drop in income, however hasnt once asked about my well being.  Interesting people come into our lives, aye?

Since the summer I have lost about 35lbs from taking them.  It came down to eating a small potion of dinner each day.  My wedding band would slide right off my finger.  For me, that was a true indication that I needed to change.  
I prepared myself.  I read these blogs thoroughly and others.

One day one I was motivated and excited to get off them!  I pushed through that very painful day. I went to my job.  It was a stressful day.  Something in my head would say "just take a couple and make this day easier."  Throughout the day I would lock my office and pray for strength.  "help me get through this day is all i ask. I have a wonderful family and I know I can do it for them and for myself."

The people on this blog have given me more strength than anything else.
For five days I only took 1 and a half vics per day. (again, in halfs).  Then I decided that before my body became comfortable with that dosage I would stop entirely.  
Today is my Fifth day vic free.  I feel great!  I have strength. I have energy. I am still a little achy.  But my attitude has been: Bring it on. I will fight this fight because I hate those damn pills.  
I think about those forsaken pills all the time and each time I reassure myself that I have come such a great distance these last ten days.  I must stay focused.  Its easier now.  I have no desire to put one in my mouth.  I hope my resolve is the same in a year or two years or ten years.
Good Luck to you all!  Don't stop trying.  Its worth the suffering- Do it!!  It may seem like a crazy suggestion, but EMBRACE the suffering and don't let it go until it lets go of you-- It will and when it does it feels awesome!!!
I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted.. It's so nice to see that i'm not the only one going through this..  As an addict of H/C it's all fun and great when you're "high".. but, when time comes to quit it is the most terrible thing i have ever dealt with.. I don't think outsiders understand what it is like to worry about running out of your happy medicine..  Sometimes i feel alone trying to figure out if i'm gonna have enough to get to the next doc appt.  i've been ashamed of myself for letting myself get to this point but, i feel better now that i have found this blog... I have been on vic es for over a year at a quantity of 8-12 a day for a leg injury..  I tried to quit cold turkey about 3 months ago and i made it about 30 hours.. i couldn't take it my skin hurt so bad, the headaches, chills, runs, foggy just terrible.. i have been weening for about 3 weeks now and i'm down to about 6-7 5mg a day and it hurts like hell.  I'm going in 5 days to see the detox specialist for suboxone..  but, damn it i'm gonna get through this as god as my witness thanks to ya'll...  God Bless everyone of you and good luck.. will keep informed..
I feel your pain diane. There is alotta knowledge in these forums. U should try immodium it's an anti-diarrheal. Also get some tylenol pm and motrin. If you have Xanax take that too...it takes the edge off. Drink alotta Gatorade for electrolyte replacement. And try a full liquid diet for a few days like jello, broth, any juices you can see through qualifies. That restless feeling in your limbs is caused by the loss of potassium lost in your diarrhea, try eating or drinking potassium rich foods but not to much it could give u heart arrhythmia's. Also for sleep try finding this natural pill called kava kava. I this helps u. Good luck hun and God bless!

I'm going on my 5th day of being off the Vics.  I did something stupid.  I got a kidney stone last year and suffered through the pain of it for a couple days and didn't have any cravings of Vics either and decided...well this is crap....this stupid thing won't pass, I'll just take some Vics for a couple days and I'll be fine.  Mind you, I was taking them for 14 years and was off of them over a year and a half.  Like I said, it was soooo stupid....I'll never do that again.

Anyway....let me urge you NOT to get Suboxone or Subutex.  It's like killing a fly with a shotgun.  A more accurate description is it's like taking the w/d pains away by giving you Heroin.  Sub is basically that.  Of course the thing about it is, if you're taking Sub and try to take something like Vicodin or Heroin....some type of Opiate, it blocks it.  Anyway I went to detox one time and the w/d's from the Suboxone was way worse than the Vicodin.

I watch that show Intervention sometimes and you see people in a stupor many times ya know.  I'm addicted to Vicodin but I've rarely been like that before, but when they gave me the Sub the first couple days I was like that.  I way so much higher than I ever was with Vicodin.  They give you these massive doses for a couple of days and then just slash them in half another couple of days and then stop it completely.  

The last time I got off of Vics, I was taking over 100 of the 5.5's (no I'm not exaggerating) pills a day.  I wasn't doing it for long like that but at the end I was taking that much and I wasn't feeling much of a high at all.  Anyway, I went cold turkey and believe it or not it was much better than the detox facility.

This time, I went CT again and ironically I was only taking around 10 to 12 a day at the end of the 7.5's, it's worse than the last time.  I became difficult for me to quit this time because I have bi-polar and at first when I quit, or I should the 4th time when I was serious, I thought, this stuff is bad and so it wasn't as hard as I thought.

This time was harder when I was taking it at first.  I thought....well, when I started, I was depressed, but I wasn't craving Vics, but when I started taking them I started feeling better.  The depression I had started getting better.  I thought that now it seems like since I'm taking psych meds, this mixture of that with Vics seems to go well together and I truly thought this was helping me.  Then I started losing control of how many I was taking each day.  I kept it at 6 a day for about 5 months but then the last 2 months it crept up and up and finally I couldn't milk any from doctors anymore.  I just said, ya know what...this isn't working....I really can't control this and even now the way I feel I as I write this....feeling fairly bad still...I can see that 'happiness' was starting to fade.

There really is no 'happy pill'.  It's a shame there isn't but there is not and to be a slave to something like this isn't worth it.  I'm sorry papabear610.  I didn't intend to make this about me but I managed to do that sigh.  Just stay away from the Sub....I promise, it's much heavier than the Vics and w/d's are worse.

Just look around the forum and see how many people can't even get off Suboxone or Subutex, it's so strong.  We think we have it bad with Vicodin.  I can't imagine how it would be to addicted to Heroin or Sub....something heavy like that!
I have been on pain killers for 10 years. Hydrocodone for at least 7. My last prescription, I took 180 in less than 2 weeks. Then I stopped and said what am I doing? I am done! It took 7 days cold turkey which I DON'T suggest. I feel great. I know it probably depends on the person, but they are very addicting and hard to get off. Thanks for this sight, and all your help. I kept going over and over the post to see how and when I would start feeling better. Day 4 was the turning day. The hardest thing now is the mind games in my head, just not taking any. I may need therapy or something for that. Thanks again for your post.
I found this forum while looking for some answers to stopping the use of hydrocodone.  I started using pain meds after being thrown from a horse in Aug. 2009.  It turned out that in the process of finding the extent of my injuries it was dicovered hat I had spinal stenosis in my cervical vertebrae.  I had surgery for that in Dec. 2010.  I had continued pain following the surgury so the docs continued with pain management which basically means more hydrocodone.  

I have been trying to wean myself off but when I did I felt pain still so I assumed the problem had not been fixed.  Now I firmly believe the pain has simply been withdrawals from the meds.  

I have gone from 6 pills 10-325 hydrogodon, to 4 and yesterday I had only one.  I am barely sleeping and the bone a muscle aches are almost unbearable.  I return to work tomorrow and I am a high school teacher.  I also am in grad school and have 5 kids at home still.

I am so irritable and I am getting very little sleep.  I finally called my family doctor today to see what she suggests especially in the area of sleep.

It has helped reading these posts and knowing that I am not alone in this.  I will get started on some vitamins and if anyone can suggest any "natural" aids I would appreciate it.

Thanks for listening...
You can use a natural supplement called skullcap.  It is for drug and barbituate withdrawal and works very well.  Look it up on the internet..I also took kava kava and one other supplement that is escaping me right now.  I went off of valium 10 mgs a day which I had been on for 3 1/2 years...doctor prescribed for panic attacks.  Turned out it was my adrenals causing the problem, they had depleted from stress.   I went through hell for years, but eventually it  was okay.  Gaba and 5-HTP work well too.

Now I have fibromyalgia and was rear-ended by another vehicle last April.  I have to taper off of 6 10/325 mg hydrocodone's.  I have an appointment with a pain management doctor who supposedly will have a taper schedule for me...but I will rely on the skullcap to calm down the rls and feelings of going nuts.  You can find the doses in the natural supplement books.  It really works well.
I am addicted to NARCO 10/325. I have not taken any since Tue it is my fourth day. I am very week and losing this battle just got in a massive fight with my wife, she knows I am comming off of them I told her I needed a Xanax because my anxiety was sky high. She would not help me look for them so I flipped my lid. I have missed 2 days of work Thur and Friday. I refuse to look at my cell phone to hear I was fired or just the crap that comes with work. I dont think there is an end to this it is hard. My legs are so week. I need to know what eveyone thinks. I been taking those pills for 2 years 8 - 14 a day. I may loose my job as I do not think I will be ok in just 1 more day. I have three young children and my wife. I played with my kids all weekend when I used to take the Narco I am affriad I will not be the same person when this is over and will not be as good as a father as I was on them PLEASE HELP ME.
Linux, welcome to the community. This is a great place for support. Listen, this post is some 4 years old, very long and it is likely that members will miss your post. If you go to the top of this page you will se a green Post A Question button--hit it and follow the instructions to start your own post. If you need any help with it, give a shout.

Hope to see you in the forum. And please hang on, there is hope.
Thanks to everybody who's left a post. you all have been helpful. OK, here's my quick story:
I was/am way addicted to Norcos and the like. Without something, ANYTHING, in my system, I couldn't even go to work. It's bad, man, real bad. No script, either, so I was buying off the street...like 4 bucks +, too. Anyway, this awful mess had to stop. I am about to loose everything I have..
I went to a place in Roseville, CA & started getting a small dose of methadone(?) can't spell...It's been 5 days and I have NO WITHDRAWS from the Norcos etc...and they were so bad (before) I'd HAVE to score, just to work. (my withdraws) I don't care what anybody says about methadone...the stuff has kept me from having ANY withdraws! It is a great start for getting off the opiates...
    TRY IT, it's working for me, and I had way bad withdraws.....I'll even give you their phone number.....
I have been taking Lorcet 10/650 for ever a year to a point where it was up to 60 pills a week. As of monday im down to 1/2 pill every 12-14 hours. The wd's are horrible. BUT I HAVE TO STOP! Im 5 weeks pregnant, and DO NOT want anything happen to this baby! The down sides are BAD BAD stomach pains followed by diarehha, cold/hot, groose bumps, sneezing, runny nose, NO SLEEP and sore/fatigure. The good side, I have a clear head! No fuzzyness! day 3 so far has been ruff! When will this get easier...only thing that is keeping me from taking 2-3 pills is this baby! Just need support right now!
I can say that I honestly never knew that so many people were addicted to these little monsters.  I have been taking norco 10/3.25 for approximately three years now with only one time that I had to go totally cold turkey because i ran out and couldn't get them refilled. I have recently escalated my use to about 10 per day.  I thought I was going to die when I quite before and swore that I would never start using them again. I did though and now I am getting to the end of my supply and my RX renewal is not until 15 days from now.  I have been reading the blogs and have rationed them out so that i take less and less every day, but I already am feeling scared and ashamed to be so stinking dependent on them. I do have chronic pain and don't know what I am going to do about that, but it's got to be something besides taking these pills.  I am feeling better reading that I am not the only one.  I am going to try so have some of the detox items on hand so maybe it won't be so bad. Thanks for honesty.  I would appreciate any support that anyone has to say.
I was taking 120mg of oxy a day for a almost a year and decided 2 weeks ago to break it off. I was scared to death of the WD's.  Got a scipt from my doc for 50 norco 10/325 and decided to ween of the oxy by taking those. I was taking 10 norcos a day. When I had about 5 left, I quit taking them to test the waters. It was not good.  I ended up taking 3 after about 16 hours of my last dose. I was desparate and researched what to do. My research led me to a prescription med normally used for blood pressure control called Clonidine.  This drug is also used in detox to alleviate many of the most miserable symptoms of WD with a very good results.  I broke down and told my doc who was willing to prescribe them.  I am now on hour 42 and my anxiety, nervousness and restleness although present in some degree are nothing like going CT without the Clonidine (this is not my first time). I am a little sleepy but defintiely preferable to the alternative. I wish you the best. You can beat it.
This is my 2nd time going through withdrawal from Norco 10/325. The first time, I found out I was pregnant and quit cold turkey. I was miserable for almost 2 weeks. I wasn't even able to sleep until day 5. By the 14th day, I was fine, but the previous 14 days I was in hell.

This time around, I started to taper off slowly. I was taking 4 per day. I went down to 3, then after 1 week, 2, then after 1 week, 1 per day. I have been going through withdrawal ever since I went from 4 to 3. Even last night, I couldn't sleep because of body aches and restless leg. I want to be down to 1/2 a pill by now, but I can't handle the withdrawals. I feel like now, I should just quit cold turkey. I've tapered myself down from 4 to 1 and still am going through withdrawal. It' so frustrating. Maybe I tapered off too quickly? I don't know. I ended up taking 4 Excederin PM's last night just to sleep. When will the withdrawals be completely over? Please help!
The original post date of this is from 2007......start a new post-with your own title and you will get lots of help. People here are great!

I vote you go CT now. Just jump off and get ready for a lil uncomfortableness but it will be over soon. By continuing with your WD ladden taper you are just dragging it out....get it over with. Just rip the stitches, let it bleed and soon it will heal!!!
I'm on the very start of day 6. I'm hoping to get a little sleep tonight. I know what you mean about the no-sleep thing. I dread it SO much. You know it will be over soon so just do it and be done.

Get some 5-HTP from a vitamin store (Check with your doc. if you are on any SSRI or other types of antidepresents (or even Trazodone for sleep-it's an old school anti-depressant) because you don't want to end up with a seritonin storm type syndrome. Probably TMI, but realize there are things to help you get to sleep and to feel better. Get some good multi-vitamins and reduced Glutiathione and some L-Methathione (my spelling is bad-sorry) Drink lots of water and even if you don't feel like eating-do it anyway.

Stay strong,
Greebs
This is my 2nd post. I wanted to follow up from my March 19th post. Well it's day 14, no Norco ect. I have been doing  Methadone from that Medical place I spoke of. It works! It (methadone) took away ALL my W/Ds & I have been working my very involved full time job the entire time. "it" does make me feel a little sick and I dont like the stuff, but it's much better than W/Ds. I'll be getting off this stuff before long, too. Anything but doing them norco's ect! The place is:
AEGIS Medical Systems
they are all over CA, there are like 50 of them. Not sure about the rest of the USA
It's working for me!  Thank You, everybody
I'll keep you "posted" LOL
contact me if you need!!!!
I just want to see if this works. I've been looking at this page for days now and I cant find the right answers, I am trying to quit opiods and am down to 3 vicodin a day. I used to be on herion so why am I so scared of stoping this simple vicodin habit?
This site has really helped me....again, Thank You, all posters. .......Because them little pills have become a crutch to us. Me too. Those AWFUL little killers made me feel "normal" & I felt I had to have them in my system or I couldn't function. I'm on day 17 clean from opiates....but taking methadone.  I will be tapering off of that "stuff" soon. Still, its better than the pills....YOU can do it.....WE ALL CAN. Don't give up the fight!
Hey guys. just wanted to give a positive note, i have been addicted to vicodin for the past 5 yrs 5-6 750's a day. i just want anyone scared of quiting because of the withdrawls not to be. I was scared to death and finally talked to my doctor a week ago about getting help, went to a chemical dependcy doc 2 days ago and she gave me pills to help with getting sick, imodiam for the other stuff and muscle relaxer for the leg cramps, i havent taken one in 2 days and its honestly no where near as bad as i thought it was gonna be. im kinda foggy headed and have light chills but nothing i cant handle and im not a very strong person when it comes to pain, So honestly if you are thinking about quitting, do it. I feel so good about myself right now just knowing that these things are not gonna control my life any more.. Good Luck and God bless.   Cindy,
These are really good blogs.  I was taking 2 oxy 10mg and 5-6 vicodin for about 7 weeks following a very painful tibia surgery.  This is not my first bout with WD's from vicodin for past surgeries.  Everyone is different, but I have always chosen to go cold turkey, against my doctors recommendation.  Now, for me...  this is a battle over a calendar and my mind, the drugs, and misery - just keep saying "make it to day 2, then 3, the goal for me being day 7.  I watched the clock for 7 days, knowing that it always ticked forward, one minute gone, one hour gone.    Day 2-5 are the worst, chills, insomnia, feelings of absolute misery, no energy, no smiles, not looking forward in going to sleep knowing your going to be miserable when you wake up.  However, each minute does pass, each hour does pass, and each day does pass.  The goal for me is Day 7, this is when "me" started to come back.  I found the greatest strength by watching and hugging my kids.  I thought it would come from my spouse, but I felt very selfish, she has already been taking care of me for 7 weeks (and 4 months prior to my surgery) with my wounds, pins, etc..  My kids smiling and rubbing my head were incredible.  Snuggling, etc., even why I felt miserable, my kids were the best!
Everyone, keep up the great work and encouragement.  You can do it AND you will feel so much better!
ok here it is.  I took my 2 norco last Thursday at 630pm.  It is now 141 am Sunday.  3.5 days in or about 80 hrs.  This is my 3 after the w/d started kicking in.  I have only slept maybe 3- to 45 min the last 2 nights.  Tonight I feel like a could sleep, but when i lay down I can't fall asleep.  So It looks like tonight may be a sleepless pm too.  Does anyone know how may days I will go totally sleepless?  I have been taking 3-5 norco  day for 6 yrs.  before that I had a casual use that was using when I had them, but I would come off pretty easy. I have a fracutred vertebrea, and a large disk bulge, and the pills helped.  But I have decided that it is only a bad crutch that is not worth it. I have to take a 10 panel urine test for a new position so I decided it is time to kick this.  So I can't take Xanax, and I tried Benedryl but it just seemed to loop me out and not help.  

Oh also how long should I wait before I go do the urine test?  Any advice helps. Thanks the sleepless zombie
I've been on norco an the lortab 10/650 down to 10/325 for over 10 years.2 pills 4 times a day.I have kown that was to much, but i could work an not look into surgery again. After weening myself back down to 1 pill a day. An now as little as 1/2 a 7.5 Mg a day i hope i'm on the right track for a complete end to taking them ever again.If anyone knows please let me know if this sounds like the right plan.
I have been on Vicodin for a little over a year now for a bulging disc, and I took a half of a 750 yesterday morning, and then a norco an hour later, and didn't sleep more than 4 hours last night. I was tired, buy my legs weren't! RLS is a total bummer. I want to be off of these things so badly, but I somehow end up buying them even when my doc won't refill them for me. I now have a few connections, but everyone is out right now. Maybe this is a sign that I don't need these stupid pills. I just feel like I need them to function.....to be happy at home with my kids and my husband around. To clean my house....to go grocery shopping. It's to the point where I take a few with me if I'm going somewhere for the day, just so that I don't lose my "spunk". Woke up this morning feeling super tired, but not much of anything else. It's only been a little over 24 hours, but I don't feel that bad! I have gone a day or two or three before without them, and the only thing other than the restless legs and fatigue is random crying. I WANT OFF! I have 2 kids to take care of.....and a husband that needs me.....just need the willpower, maybe?
sounds like my problem as well. ive cut almost off,But the depression is driving me crazy.ive made it to where 1/2 a norco is all i need for a day.But it has been all  will power! Hang in there..
l am struggle with this addiction more than any other addiction I ever had to deal with except smoking ciggerates I still smoke. Vicodins are very very addicting. I started taking one a day along with my wife about 2 years ago. I increase to 3-4 a day now and my wife increase to 24 a day. She says her hip and back are really hurting her but i think she is just enjoying the high. It is so bad now that I need to hide them from her. I feel that Iam such a bad person for letting her take that many. But none of that matters now because starting tomorrow we are quitting, I know she cant quit cold turkey because that would be really bad so we are tappering down but my question to anyone that is listening and knows, how much should I tapper her down to the first day, I was thinking 15 for the first week and than 8-10  the second week and than the third week get methdone  and hopefully the forth week quit.
It is so sad to hear about all the problems people are suffering from.  First, may I recommend that each of you get a doctor's opinion about withdrawal and what to expect and how to do it safely and somewhat comfortably. I think, in most cases, a doctor can get you going in the right direction.   If not, find another doctor.  Then draw from all these recommendations listed but check again with your doctor before adding other drugs or supplements to you agenda; it's just a safer approach.  

Also, is there something else that you can do to address the pain source; possibly surgery? Other options? After two years of leg and back pain I succumbed to surgery after using anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, and epidurals injections.  None of those worked for me, but may work for you.  Even if the relief is temporary it is a place to start prior to surgery.  The doctor made it very clear to me that he could not fix my back but he could try to eliminate some of the pain caused by extensive arthritis up and down my back.  Nine weeks after surgery, I am beginning to see positive results.

Unlike some of you, I don't get a high from vicidin, but I've been using it extensively for intense post back surgery pain. honestly, I didn't think it helped much at all to control pain but kept taking 2 tabs every 4 hours thinking the pain would have been far worse.  Just recently, the pain is diminishing and I want to taper off, with as few wd symptoms as possible.  I'm thinking that just tapering  one dose each day may be the easiest way to approach (at least in my case).

First and foremost, my day by day support is from my God who never, ever leaves me.  I have Him by my side during each of my trials and that is ever so comforting.  I have friends who know how to pray and that relieves so much of whatever I am going through.  It is a good place to start whenever you need help.

I wish you well, my friends, during these difficult times in your lives.  I have often gotten through by reminding myself that it is 'just temporary', 'this too shall pass' and that their is always, always someone else that is in such worse shape than me.  God bless you as you go through this and I pray that your recovery is as short as possible and as comfortable as possible.
Methadone is the best way to go from my experience, I have been taking vicodin 7.5mg 8 a day for the past 3 years, my pain management doctor suggested methadone 5mg tabs twice daily, it takes away all of the side effects of vicodin and whats even better is that if you try and go back to the vicodin it has no effect on you like it did prior to taking the methadone. I was very skeptical at first about taking the methadone but now that I have I am very pleased, I didnt have to ween myself off of the vicodin just quit it cold turkey, I know now I have another vice, the methadone but I am not as worried about the long term effects that the methadone will do opposed to the vicodin...God Bless...hope this helps
If the physical cause requiring pain relief is chronic, the alleviation by meds is necessary. I would alternate 2 different (non-cross tolerant) meds probably 7 day cycles: That way you don't build up a tolerance  and you don't have time to buld up enough in your system to cause withdrawals . This use of a different med is very helpful <on a 10-12 day regimen to help get through withdrawals when quitting an addiction. Also, if long-term medicating is required, use Neurontin  and Soma . Had to take max (60 & 60/day)hydro & morphine 4 years, now saying goodbye, after successful back surgery.
I have been taking Vicodin for 8 years. I have lower back pain, but because of my body's dependency on it I feel like I am in constant withdrawal even while taking the medication. (Other than the first few hours after taking the pill of course) I have taken it AS prescribed or even less because I have two children. So even after 8 years I can still take half a pill (750) and get the full effect, as if it were 8 years ago, and in fact I'm taking less because I didn't have children then. And I didn't care to be responsible.. I was just a kid. Anyway, I am taking 1/2 a pill about 2, 3 or 4 times a day (Depending on my pain for the day), when my pain peaks. My problem here is this: I feel great for a couple hours after I take a pill. And I have withdrawal symptoms the other hours of the day. Like others I am 100% irritable (not good with kids) Throwing up, dizzy, lazy all that. If I am only taking 1/2 a pill 2/3/4 times a day am I okay to go cold turkey? (keep in mind it's been for 8 years) Although my body is 100% dependent on it, I have a hard time saying I am addicted because I am still taking them only for pain. Notwhen I have the withdrawals or when I want to feel better emotionally. (of course I am only human and HAVE but it is not a habit) I am in constant pain and now constant withdrawals. I have tried to wean myself but as long as I have the pills, the pain is always there, so I take them. The only thing I have left is to just flush the bottle. But my mom has cried to me telling me I could kill myself this way. Can anyone offer any advise? I have to live with the pain the rest of my life I would rather not live with these withdrawals that is tearing my marriage apart, since I am not a fun person to be around 80% of the time. Also, it might help to say I have talked to my doctor about it, I told her about the headaches, nausea, throwing up, etc..  and I asked if I could take something else.. and she said "Does it help you back pain?" I said "Yes" So she said then there is no reason to take something else." I think she thought I was trying to seek stronger meds when I was actually just trying to seek DIFFERENT meds. Anyway, just hoping to hear from someone who was in a similar situation and if I really could kill myself cold turkey since I have been taking them for 8 years.
I was an extremely heavy user. 20-30 vicodin a day, plus somas and sometimes valium. I was taking suboxone for almost two years, but now I have tapered off of that and I am on day 4. I only have half of the symptoms of typical opiate withdrawals. My back is killing me, I have no appetite and I can't stop yawning. But all of the other, gross feeling, symptoms are not present. Suboxone can take all of the pain away, but withdraw is still inevitable due to the opiate is Suboxone. Keep fighting everyone. It's a nation wide problem that we are responsible for solving.
ive only been takin vicodin for about 3-4 weeks taking between 3-10 a day i quit cold turkey 3-4 days ago should i feel any sympotoms..ive had higher anxiety the last few days and have been moody???? thanks
As I did myself, i'm on my 5th day of quiting cold turkey, and belive me the pain is real, cant sleep, muscle and bone ache, my legs primarly, mood swings and just about everything i've read so far, but i am determend, damm these drugs and the pharmacutical companies that get rich off us knowing that these drugs are so addicting, may as well sell cocaine and heroin, thats just how i feel...
I have been prescribed and taking violin on and off for 9 years.  In the beginning I only took it as needed for migraines. Two years ago I had bariatric surgery and since then have been abusing vicodin.  I guess since my food addiction was no longer an option I turned to vicodin.  Since my stomach surgery I have been taking the liquid version, my doctor.prescribes a 14 day supply which I go through in 4-6 days.  Then I have to wait 9-11 days before I can get a refill.  The cold turkey withdrawls are horrible, I keep telling myself I'm not going to call for a refill....then I find myself counting down the days until I can call and get more.  I don't know how to stop this.
54 year old Male. Hydrocodone 5/500 prescribed for pain for compressed disc...10 years of useage which grew to 4 pills/day in last 12 to 18 months...Quit cold turkey 72 hours ago...Not experiencing the terrible withdrawal symptoms many of you are describing...Is it possible I got off easy or will the symptoms just come later for me? Worst for me so far has been burning sensation in extremities, insomnia, headaches -- and the increased pain from my compressed discs which is made tolerable by taking tylenol ES and drinking wine in the evening. Any thoughts? Thanks and good luck to all!
96 hours after last 2 Watson tablets (5/500 ea) I am doing surprising well, especially compared to most of you who are experiecing real WD pain. I am cautiously optimistic. My symptoms are no worse than I wrote about yesterday. I'll post again tomorrow. Maybe my story will inspire those of you are considering quitting cold turkey but are being scared by most the posts you read. So far so good for me.
YOu should be fine- 2-4 tablet for a total of 20 mgs- is not alot.  Most of us were put on or using a lot more than you.  Good job getting off now and finding alternative methods for pain relief.  I wish I would have stopped when I was still at your stage.

Keep updating.  I am so glad things are going so well for you!

Overeasy
Thanks for the encouragement. Day 5 - 120 hours after last 2 hydrocodone 5/500 tabs - all is relatively good for me. The pain from my compressed disc is made tolerable with Tylenol, although I needed to exceed the recommended dosage yesterday. Obviously, that can't continue either. Will see how it goes (or grows), but right now I am determined not to use opiades to manage the pain. So, at this point, confidence is high and I'm happy I chose the cold turkey route instead of stepping down as my drug dealer...er, I mean my doctor suggested. Keep you all posted. Thanks again, overeasy!
Vicodin is a hard drug to come off of definatly. For about 3 years (2008-11) I was taking up to 8-10 7.5mg a night. More if I could get it. I finally at the end of last year entered myself into a natural Detox Clinic. I only stayed for the peak of my withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, however, for almost 2 months continued to suffer with minor to moderate symptoms still. The goosebumps, and insomnia being the worst of these. I thought I could start taking 1-2 every once in a while to FINALLY get a good nights sleep and be comfortable. But as they say in N.A., "One is too many, and 1,000 is never enough." I eventually slipped back into my old habits and got back where I was all over again. I lost my job recently and because of a lack of income was forced to stop again. The only positive thing I can say here is that at least this time I have been through it and know what to expect.

My advice to any of you withdrawling (who can't, or won't use a detox center or a rehabilitation center) is to keep it simple. Use Benadryl, or Tylonal P.M.'s to sleep (but be cautious because sleeping pills are also habit forming) and ibuprofin for the aches. Some things you'll just have to man up for. The goosebumps are annoying, but not agonizing, and the restlessness is the same. Keep thinking positive and surround yourself with friends to keep you thinking of other things. So much of the withdrawl (withdrawal) from any opiate are mental.

Keep remembering that it is not the end of the world, but the beginning of another! You've been given a chance to start over again, and this time you can enjoy life for all the things it has to offer, without a high to accompany them. Stay strong my fellow addicts, and don't give up!
my husband is facing a down a vicoden problem that has been going on for years.  I see him try to cutback and the withdraw symptoms start, and in the end the doctor always gives him more.  I know he is scared, but so am I.  Also, frustrated, angry that it's got to the point where it has really done some damage to our marriage and worried he will never be the same person he used to be.  How can I help him get through the first few weeks without losing my mind as well.  Any advice on supporting someone you love who is trying and sometimes not trying to get off them.  I don't think being at the end of my rope is helping and I see him laying in bed sweating and tossing and turning, out of control mood swings and sick when he is awake, and I know monday he'll go get more.  I've tried to keep them and gradually wean him off them, but he sets some aside and runs out early and I just don't know what to do anymore.  Maybe I can't help, but things are heading for a breaking point.  
I been off two days from Hydrocodone. Bad leg cramps & tightest. How much longer this last.  I was taken two a day. But went out over the weekend. Starting drinking & popping way too many. Now I out. Well maybe for the better. Maybe a week I feel better.
                                                           Wayne
hello everyone,

I am off of vicodins for the 2nd time now, i will briefly tell you all my story and symptoms as it goes from taking 10-15 a day to the 2nd time coming off of 3 to 5 a day.

I was taking 10-15 vics a day for 5 years im 30 now my gf/fiance now had never known who the real me was .  i would wake up in the morning started with 1 and by the end was at 3 just in the morning it was a must take by the days end it would be 15 at times.  i just said to myself i need to stop it wasnt a financial decision it was a physical and mental one.  they actually not only make u moody cranky and unbelievably LAZY/ UNMOTIVATED but they make your body hurt and neck/head.  i took cyboxon that i got from a friend i took cyboxon which was 1 and weened to a quater, after 2 weeks of cyboxin i was sleeping and just starting vomiting. mind you i had no withdrawal symptons with the cyboxon but boy was i in for it now,  the diaharea started stomach pain,depression,sleeplessness ect...went to the doctor got yelled at for taking cyboxon.  she had givin me pills for the acid reflux aqnd stomach pains.  after about 5 to 7 days of feeling like crap i started to feel somewhat better ...the depression lasted for about 2 and a half weeks then i started to realize  HOW IVE WASTED 5 YEARS OF MY LIFE. was motivated again started boxing again lifting weights had all in my life telling me what a delight i was to be around and didnt look back.

4 months after that i had a bad accident with my hand it was a test for me i know it was.  i had asked the doctor NOT to give me those pills but  WHO WAS I KIDDING I WANTED THEM CUZ I HAD THE EXCUSE TO TAKE THEM, so i got them from my connections was taking 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 a day saying to myself i wont get addicted again, man was i wrong its been 3 months and back to being that lazy irratable ahole again.  i started weening off or them by breaking them in half trying to fool myself like i was taking 4 when i was actually taking 2 would do that until i got to 1 1/2 i would get cold sweats diahrea and crankyness and a bit of sleeplessness nowhere near as much as the first time i would take half of a zanax to go to bed for a week. i have been off of them for 3 days now and i know im finished with them back to living my life.. u get depressed and u want them when u wake up but in all reality they really make your life worthless and unmotivated. i recommend weening off of them and setting a 2 week setup where u at least cut your dose in half and deal with the cold sweats . when your ready to stop expect 5 to 7 days of crap but it will be worth it 4 weeks down the road and the rest of your life trust me...

goodluck to all of you
FOR ALL WHO ARE HAVING THE SLEEPING PROBLEM.

cvs sells a knock off of nightquill pills there called NIGHTTIME there  cold pills there solid blue.
they would knock me out best nights sleep ever
I'm sorry in advance, I know this is an addiction-type thread but I'm desparate for answers.  Is there anyone that has only been on Lortab for only a couple of days, gone off of it cold turkey & experienced w/d symptoms?  

My husband only took them for 48 hrs. after he got home from surgery & then stopped & switched to Tylenol.  However he is nauseated, having tremors & is achy all over, not just at his surgical site.  Could this be w/d symptoms from the Lortab even though he only took them for 48 hrs?  

He was taking 2 7.5/500 every 4 hrs as prescribed by the doc.  

The pharmacist & his surgeon has no answers for me when I called.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  

-- Thank you from a very concerned wife.
I'm 35 male, and take 10-20 hc per day for about 5yrs, it was prescribed to me so I didnt think about it at first but got to where I was done with my script within 2 days of getting it. Had to find alternative ways of getting them. I want to quit for myself but remember what I went through, I've kinda tested the waters a few times to see if the same and its not!!! Im vomiting within 3 hrs of not having a hc, don't know what to do, fear I can't do it. Please help me.

I have been on Vicodin 10/325's for 8 years. I detoxed Cold Turkey 2 years ago for 9 months, and started back when my Father died....STUPID!! My husband and 17-year old daughter knew about that time and really supported me through that detox, but now, I am so embarrassed, that I have not told them that I am back on the Vicodin again.

I have read all of the forum posts on the discussion board, and they have really encouraged me and made me very excited to quit Cold Turkey again! This will be the only support system that I will have, so I want to thank all of you in advance for you help!

Warmest regards, and the best to all of you!
WANTMYOLDME
One more thing,

I have all of the "Thomas Recipe" natural remedy items ready to use for the Cold-Turkey detox, so I am ready...and, by the way, I am really an addict, using 15-20 pills daily!

I did not mean to be confusing when I signed the email as "WANTMYOLDME", but I had to change my nickname when I joined the community to "SADTOBEHERE".

Thanks,
SADTOBEHERE
I have taken 10 15 pilss daily for about 5 years now....and last 2 weeks was waking up feelin out of it and very hot all over and dizzy as hell. So i took 3 this morn when i woke up and it started even worse......thought about hospital, didnt know if was a od or what......so since 11am, no more pills....its 8 pm now and feel like a headache thtas it.......Im sure its gonna get worse but has any one felt like that b4 too?

thx TB
just really want to talk to someone for a min....my wifes at work and son in bed...so im driving myself n uts sitting here watching tv with a full week of work tomorrow

if some one feels like me plz reply

TB
Hi TB -

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time - you may get more responses if you post a new question as the older threads tend to get overlooked.

And it can also be quiet on the weekends too - but if you post a new question, I bet you'll find some members to talk to.

Good luck to you!  :)
thx im done,
about to eat some dinner, not really hungry but am thinking of taking one so i can hopefully sleep tonite......maybe the ween off method will work for me....IDK.........lol...trying to find some humor in this, which there isnt :(......feel like a total loser and piece of sh=it

TB
well....i see not any1 nreally looks at this anymore.....was lookin for some help......i have not had 1 in 24hrs.....since sunday weened down to only 4 yesterday....withdrawls alittle but not too bad.....is it gonna get worse..i dont feel so bad, just really run down and a headache........my boss gave me off til friday and I have appt tom with specialist for some subotxen......do i need it?'

thx tb
Herbs associated with relaxing and strengthening the nervous system

1.Scullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora herb). Scullcap is a broad spectrum nervine tonic. This herb has been used successfully in cases of depression, anxiety, insomnia, and headaches. Scullcap is considered one of the preferred herbs to help ease withdrawal symptoms during recovery. During the first 72 hours of withdrawal, it may be taken every couple of hours. Scullcap contains large amounts of flavonoids which act as natural anti-inflammatory agents.

2.Valerian (Valeriana officinale root). Valerian is another strong nervine. Extracts of Valerian have been used for centuries in Europe to resolve cases of insomnia, nervous disorders, anxiety, and depression. It is known to be beneficial for individuals who have a history of cocaine and/or alcohol use and also suffer from nervous disorders.

3.Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata blossom). Passion Flower is another great nervine. Milder than Valerian, it is excellent for relieving tension and for insomnia. Rich in flavonoids, Passion Flower is probably most effective when combined with Valerian and other nervines.

4.Chamomile (Matricaria recutita blossom). Chamomile is known as a mild relaxant as well as a stomachic used for improving digestion. It contains the two compounds azulene and guaiazulene, which have been shown to stimulate growth of liver tissue in rats. Chamomile may also be helpful when prepared as a homeopathic remedy.

5.Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba leaf). Ginkgo is an outstanding herb which has been shown to improve cellular glucose uptake, scavenge free radicals, encourage peripheral circulation, improve short term memory, and enhance energy. For the recovering addict who feels that his memory and circulation have been compromised, Ginkgo is a good place to begin.

check out:  http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?id=903  or research "Herbal Medicine for Recovering Addicts"
I wish I got to you sooner. If you're not off the Vics now you will be ve very sorry. The pain of hip surgery is not really all that bad unless you are addicted to opiates then your pain will become agonizing. Please tell your dr. so he can help. Beleve me my hip colapsed due to AVN and I took OXY 40s four just one mo.I suffered the wrath of god. By the way im going through VIC wd 4 5/500 3x day for 3 mo its 5 days now and its getting much better. Good Luck, I hope your  surgery goes well. ***@****
Interesting going back and reading these. When I stopped last year I did great for about 4 months, no issues. Then I started getting migraines and just a couple of pills got me back on them doing 3-5 a day since that time. So a year later, here I am again working on getting off of these things. I was just tired of them, again. I was a little smarter this time around and tapered for a couple of weeks down to 1 a day (was not easy but managable) and now am on day 5 with nothing. Totally different WD experience than other times this time around. The taper down has made it over all easier and less pain, but man I feel grumpy most evenings and am sleeping only OK with a little bit of leg/ankle discomfort but have a way of dealing with that. Not recommended (I'd never recommend anything illegal in your area nor am I a doctor) but I did get some pot from a friend of a friend and it really worked wonders in helping get through this so far. Helps with the sleeping, irritation, and general aches and pains. I only had a little bit and am out and don't plan on getting anymore so tonight will be the first night without that but I don't think it will that big of deal - I didn't really enjoy the high but I think I do understand a little more about medical marijuana now and how that might work for some people. I don't support legalization but I support research into it for medicinal use. Anyway, might be back - wish me luck. I'm not going to get all over confident and cocky this time - this is powerful stuff and must be respected or it will get you into trouble.
Hi All,
I am in my first 24 hours of WD. I was prescribed just 4 500mg Vicodin per day to help with Fibromyalgia almost 2 years ago. I was only supposed to take one every 4-6 hours, but of course overtime I altered it myself to 2 every 4 hours and would make up for the shortage at the end of the month by "cutting" deals with a relative who is addicted to Norco.
Due to the use of the pills in combination with my job at a casino where I was a supervisor I was able to work 8 hours a day IN HEELS with a dislocated toe, which I did not realize how bad it was because the pills masked the pain. Long story short, I had to have surgery which of course provided me with Oxy for a few weeks in addition to the Vicodin and Norco. I had a pin holding my toe to my foot for 2 months, and while I was on disability I was fired because I WAS cleared to go back to work, but only if I stayed off my feet. (My casino was tribal and the company  that manage it takes advantage of the fact that they don't have to comply with state laws in regards to firing while on a disability leave.)
Anyway I no longer have insurance, but I could get my script refilled, but have decided to not do so and tough it out....I have gained nearly 50 pounds and have no motivation at all since taking the pills.
I have spent this first day feeling like I have the flu, I have the shakes and a really upset stomach. But as some of the previous posters have said, I am hoping that stopping all together and being miserable all at once will be easier than gradual.
Also on a side note, my fatehr had a kidney transplant 12 years ago, and in the room next to him was a man who went into liver failure becasue of his high opiate use, he quit cold turkey and his liver began to close down completely. All I can remember of him was the screaming. He was in such  excruciating pain that his screams could be heard from other floors. I always wonder what happened to him after the fact. And he is who I think of all the time.
Hi Guys. I wanted to post a message here because as I was going through the throws of Hell, I caught myself reading a lot of boards and was more depressed after reading them. Im currently on day 9, off from taking 8-10 Norco (vicodin) a day for 2 years and I feel great.  The most important thing I can say, as you have read several times, you have to WANT to quit. Your will power will be tested beyond your comprehension. But I wanted to quit a lot and I have never been happier. Heres how my week went (i did taper for 2 weeks before quitting which I think helped a lot):

Day 1-3: Anxiousness, depression, very emotional.  This is where you need to establish your support. I can imaging its very hard to stop on your own. I told my wife who didnt know it was going on. She has been very supportive and instrumental in my success.  You will feel very emotionally vulnerable and you need family and friends.  During this period I had some stomach pain and of course the dreaded restless legs.  Sleep becomes challenging but it gets better.... Take lots of vitamins, immodium for diarrhea, and eat tums.

Day 3-5: anxiousness and depression started to fade. You get out of the routine of taking pills although you will think about it.  My wife made me go outside and walk with our dogs atleast 3 times a day. This is huge. Your body is exhausted but just do it.  This period is also when my stomach really started burning.  Felt like I had an ulcer and it was bleeding.  I started taking probiotics to help my digestive tract get back.  The 2 best things I took which helped my stomach almost instantly was Chlorella pills (all natural) and I drank Aloe Vera Juice. You can get from most natural food stores. Aloe Vera juice soothes your stomach like it soothes a sunburn. I couldnt recommend this more for stomach pain. I was taking Tagament and Prilosec, neither of which helped.  For the restless legs I got the Hylands Leg Cramp stuff from Rite Aid.  You dissolve 2-3 under your tongue and it gives you relief for several hours. Before bed i started to take Aleve PM and the leg cramp meds. I think the Aleve made my stomach worse so I switched to Tylenol PM which helped. This gave me about 5 hours of solid sleep. Id then wake up, eat a piece of bread, take the leg cramp meds again and try to get atleast another hour of sleep. This is frustrating but it does get better.......

My point in all of this is you will make it through if you want to make it through.  The first couple of days are very hard but it gets better. You will feel like you can never be happy again and that brings very dark thoughts. That does go away and you will feel normal.  At day 9 I no longer have stomach pains or anxiety.  I do still have restless legs and i feel somewhat weak. I have been working since day 5 where i was just dealing with stomach pain. I didnt figure out the aloe vera juice and chlorella until day 5. Day 6 was waaaayyyy better.

Keep active, go see a movie, be with friends and family, DO NOT JUST STAY IN BED. you will feel a sense of accomplishment after a couple days and it works.  I have also been eating cacao beens which release a natural high. Get your immodium, aloe vera juice, tums, chlorella pills or powder, a probiotic, vitamins and drink lots of water. You can do it and I promise you will feel better and back to your old self.  You will think about whatever you were taking from time to time but its all manageable.  My thoughts are with you all in this trying time. I can say that after going through withdrawals (which was my first time), I will never go back.  Life is good being all natural.

Good luck!
Viewing 1-200 comments: