Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?
I am a 40 yr old male and I have been taking 2-4 Vicodin a day for the past three years. A medical doctor prescribed it for me after it was discovered I suffered bone degeneration in my lower 2 disk vertebrea. At the time I thought little of taking a prescription painkiller. Now after my first 6 days of no longer taking Vicodin I am realizing how powerful of a substance it actually is. I'm having withdrawal symptoms I didn't expect. Light headedness, the runs, blood pressure going up, and general fatigue. Lots of fatigue. And some irritability. I am hoping that these symptoms begin to decrease soon. Well, they have gotten better than it was in the first 2 days. I am still wondering how long I can expect to have these side effects of withdrawal?
Hi SJBG, I read your July 15th post and wanted to reply. My name is Sarah. I work with mental illness and addiction, and have been addicted to vicodin myself. I would suggest creating a plan collaboratively with him. I would suggest staggering the doses (at alternative times and days) lowering them overall over dose over weeks so that he doesn't suffer so severely that he quits trying. I would definitely include excellent/over the top rewards for small milestones (or steps in progress). The rewards need to be compelling. Selecting reward can be *very* hard given his uncomfortablility (e.g. pain and withdrawal and pressure to quit) and the pleasure of the medicine (both the anelgesic & euphoric effects). It may be hard to work in & expensive but it is short term. You two should also develop distress tolerance techniques for really hard times when he wants to give in; these normally wiht involve some sensory focused distraction- gourmet food, sex, massage, mindfully focusing feeling the water while showering, guided imagery audio recording, etc. It may sound silly but these are evidence based approaches for getting through very tough times without acting in a way that will make them worse. Finally, I would create a list of "triggers"- things or times of day whereas he tends to use medicine to alter the experience (e.g. pain, stress, boredom, etc) and ways to cope with these moments (e.g. acceptance strategies, distraction (video games or whatever works), additional distress tolerance strategies, etc). Again, having the staggering schedule will help him get through. He could also set guidelines that he can *only* take meds on the odd hours.[This is a strategy some use to quit smoking] We can sometimes use will power to get through if we know that we only have to tough it out for x amount of minutes. In addition, when it is time to take meds and he doesn't or takes a reduced dose, .. he can get a reward. I'd only do this if he couldn't do it with pure will and determination alone. If he is really struggling, perhaps at first he can "bank" the meds not take for later" as a get out of jail free pass when he is really suffering. Later in his plan though, after he's suffered some of the withdrawal symptoms and therefore they are less severly and easier to cope with, he needs to removed these pass.[I'd literally make a concrete calendar marking doses/days, strategies, milestone, etc] Again, he should plan ahead the day. For instance on day 19, no more banking or saving meds. The plan is nonnegotiable even though his addicted mind will try to negotiate like the devil. Finally I suggest that he sees a therapy and that you support him but also give him ALOT of space. He will be very crabby and irritable and will not be good company. He'll be better off managing on his own. You two are likely to fight. He'll be using all his resources to get through the days and will not have much left to be skillful interpersonally. I would not advise telling him what to do, harping on him, .. You can remind him of his plan & his commitment to himself- but do not do this often. Leave room for "failure". It will be steps forward and back until he gets through the gauntlet. He may not be able to stick to the plan perfectly. Please be forgiving with him. Remind yourself that his mood is temporary and that your relationship will get better. You can also give him "if-then" reminders. "If you take that pill now, your withdrawal symptoms will last longer; however, if you can distract & avoid taking it, you'll feel better sooner". When saying things like this, be neutral. You are not judging or commanding.  You are reminding him of his higher goals. You are simply tagging behavior and consequences in a nonjudgmental way. Being nonjudgmental (and kind/loving) is crucial. If he sense judgment he can get depressed or angry which can led to undesirab;e fighting. **Always asking permission to give feedback**For examle, "can I give you some feeback?" or "can I give you a reminder?" or "would you like my opinion or thoughts on the matter?".  In fact you can discuss it ahead of time so your feedback is know to be part of a collaboration (e.g. can or should I remind you of xzs when you are going to xzd?). I would advise that you to consider therapy as well. And lastly, remember that he may not be as ready to quit as you are ready for him to quit. He has to make the decisions. If he contiues to use, it will have consequences- perhaps even severe ones (e.g. the end of the marriage); however, we can only lead a horse to water.  Best of luck to you both. It is ridduculously hard to kick a narcotic addiction but not impossible if you are both willing and commitment to one another. Keep in mind, that not all relationship survive addictions and you are not alone. There are support groups to help you. We all do the best we can given the circumstance in every given moment. We all have our own personal demons to fight & sometimes we need to do it on our own. Best, Sarah PS- I am not trying to be a know it all. I am just trying to give you some advice regarding what I have found to be helpful for myself and others.There is no perfect plan or fail proof strategy. I can't describe just how hard it is to manage being addicted to one or multiple substances. No one  starts off with the goal of an addiction. Typically you are trying to feel better (emotionally and physically) and are often desperate to be free of pain. Props to everyone trying so hard for a better life and increased wellbeing. You are not alone.
Vicodin Withdrawals

OK  I finally checked this thread, after my daughter suggested I might be having withdrawals  I started using vicodin 4 years ago after breaking both my arms, then baractric surgery., then back surgery.  As I've read in the comments, I started running out before the ins. would pay for the refills--then the pharmacist said something--I thought the Dr. had made a mistake in the dosage. I started writing it down and discovered it was my error.  Well, everytime I ran out early, I started having flu-like symptoms, muscle aches, yawning, runny nose, fatigue---I now realize it's withdrawal symptoms--but I'm not ready to go there yet, so I've decided I'm going to cut the dosage in half and see if that helps--if not, I'll talk to my Dr. about it.  And this comes from someone who in the past never liked to take medication for anything.  Things change when it feels good.
Ive been reading your guys posts and i have came to realization that i have a severe problem im 25 years old and for about a month now ive been taking 20 yellow norcos at a time i know it sounds absurd but its the truth..it all started about 3 years ago with my ex girlfriend i used em for sex cuz they were like viagra but gave you that high feeling too back then i only popped 2 dunno how the number i consumed got so high..i am now on day 3 of sobriety and am really serious about quitting but im trying to be a man and quit cold turkey is this safe?? if i could quit cigs i could quit norcos..i can go some days without popping but once my connect calls me i get this urge like i have to get them so i am going to change my number and delete all my connects number (i have alot since i live in cali) i was a late bloomer and didn't even start smoking weed until after high school in 2003 now i smoke everyday but marijuana has always been overlooked in my family but i truly believe it is a gateway drug because eventually you get bored and wanna experience a different type of high..someone please give me some advice that has been in the same position as me..i have been getting these severe leg cramps in my legs like i cant stretch em out or im not getting circulation to my legs or something?? whatever the case may be i dont want to go to a doctor because im scared to see the damage that has been done..thank you for reading my post and please help me get thru this..sincerely Sean (Fairfield, California)
i am also addicted to norcos and have been for about 6yrs. i have finally decided i'm tired of living this life and i want to remember how the sober life felt. i took pills just for the high nothing else. i had no injuries or anything of that kind. i just enjoyed them PERIOD. i tried quitting cold turkey 1 time and that was enough for me to say HELL NO, that was awful. i was so sick it felt like the flu 10x. i get them given to me (not prescribed either) and also find myself sneaking behind hubbys back and buying them. i'm so tired of it that it makes me depressed to know that my kids, hubby, family and friends dont deserve this. starting tomorrow i'm weining down, out of the the info i've read up on this and from what others have told me thats probably the safest way. i dont take 20 a day or anything like that but if i had that many i'm certain i would..i take about 10 sometimes more..maybe not sound like alot to many addicts but its enough to where im feeling its starting to take its toll on my body and my family and when i tried stopping cold turkey i was extremely sick.. if anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated to tell me ..all i know is pills make me happy (i'm a depressed person) , energetic, function on a daily basis..ppl tell me that i will feel better than i ever have once i am totally off of these...is this true?...wish me luck cuz i'm going to need it...its a hard addiction..and to anyone who just started taking these..plz stop before you get to where you need them to stop from getting sick and u depend on them daily
so your saying if i quit cold turkey it isnt safe? ive quit for a little while before but always relapse and i dont get them prescribed either its a very expensive habit..im sick of it and just wanna stop cold turkey i heard its the fastest way to get off em i want my life back cuz i feel the pills have completely changed me as a person towards my family loved one everyone..the only symptom i have had so far are severe leg cramps..is this just the beginning?
i was taking viks 4 about 4yrs and finally decided 2 get me back. i found this stuff online called withdrawal-ease. it works great!! 7 days in now and alls i feel is just a lack of motovation. but its def. affordable. and i recommend it to every1 feeling like crap. good luck!!!! :) smile!!
I have been on Vicodin for over 2 years due to 2 surgeries that were very close together. Hearing people being addicted to this medicine made me always conscience that it could indeed happen to me. Knowing when I should take them and when not to help me be aware of what was going on in my body. I made a decision to only take them when the pain wouldn't go away with Advil or Tylenol. I'm not going to lie to you it was hard weaning myself off them. The restless legs were terrible along with my horrible mood. Here's what I did. My doctor found it amusing. Instead of taking a half or whole pill I nibbled on a tablet like a stingy starving person that was given a cracker. I waited until the legs kicked in then just barely nibbled a pill and the effects went away. this process did take some time. I am now 2 weeks clean and I feel better? My legs only shake a little my mood seams slightly better however I'm still depressed but can manage to get free from this house. Its scarey to think that something you have to have can mess up everything in your world if your not careful with it. Respect the drug and wean slowly .  Good luck..... it's not easy but it can be done.
I have been on vicodin for 5 years now and I have pain but it is harder to distinguish what is really the pain and what is the pill in my system. I also feel that I detox if I don't take it every 4-6 hours, except at night. If I take one then I can usually sleep through the night. I had to ween myself to get back to that point though.  I  have a child as well so I have to maintain my consistent attitude of calm and collected. I've been on it so long my body is dependent now, as it of course would be. I have always taken it for pain but my body is very used to it at this point.
I feel it is a slippery slope and I don't see it getting better. Sometimes I cut down and start to feel better, then I have a flare up. I am concerned to talk to my pain doctor as I don't want to break the relationship. Since there has been so much illegal activity concerning this drug a lot of pain management places have very strict policies now that  I feel in a way hinder you from talking openly to health care professionals. It is sad this has happened as there are people like me who really need it. I don't have insurance right now and haven't for about 3 years as they but a rider on my neck and back. However my husband just got a job with wonderful insurance that kicks in , in about 90 days. Wondering what the future holds.
What are your thoughts?

well.....Ive been clean since my last posts and I feel like a new man........I have miore aches and pains now, but ****, that aint nothing anymore........Im proof that u can stop :)
I've been taking vicaprofin for the last 3 1/2 years, i always took more than i should. I was taking 7.5 mil. Up to sometimes 9 or 10. The last few months i slowed way down and started taking 4 to 5. I'm on my sixth day off of them and still not feeling well. My digestive system is all messed up. My stomach bloats up every time i eat, i'm getting hot all the time, my body feels so out of whack. Still only sleeping 4 to 5 hours. I have no energy for nothing. I pray everyday that i'll feel better,  but i wake up the same way. Please someone tell me this will go away. I keep thinking there is something else wrong with me. How long, i feel so depressed!
what can i do to ease the withdrawl of pain killers
u now of suboxonw?
i mean suboxone
i m trying to kick suboxone i have been off it for 60 hours, and i feel like i m dieing. i have to take 2mgs or i m not going to make it
Thank you for the words and sharring. I am now 6 weeks off hydrodone, and the slow thinking and getting exhausted too fast but still can't sleep at all are still strong. I have not gone back yet, but it's in my head all the time. Anything left to do? Thanks.
34 y.o. male. Been popping vicoprofen for 14 years. Started up to 15 a day and a few years ago transitioned to 6 a day (having first cut down to 8). Reducing isn't so hard in my opinion (first 3 days: hell, next 3 days: much better, after 2 weeks: you won).

In 3 days, for the first time in 14 years, I will have no more pills to take. I live in Europe and the addiction is something I brought back from the US as I was a student there. My US doctor is a friend and continued to mail me the pills to Europe until now. We had a serious argument, he won't send anymore. So I now Hell's awaiting me. With a big devilish smile on its face.

I'm a university professor. Very normal guy. My addiction is known to nobody around me. The problem is: in 8 days I'm flying out to the US for a 2-week long conference, extremely important for my career. I realize I'm not going to be able to make it.

I don't know if I should wait until I have no more vicos (i.e. on sunday) to go cold turkey, i.e. 4 days before my overseas trip, or go cold turkey tomorrow and give myself a longer time before the trip.

I'm frigging desperate. To boot, I now work in Germany (which is not my home country) and I have nobody to talk to about this here. I'm a great pretender, so it will be very hard for me to admit I'm not doing well. But I don't think I'll be strong enough to stop the VP under such straining conditions.

I could cancel my trip altogether, but that would amount to ruining my career as the meeting I'm supposed to attend is a large international gathering and I'm one of the keynote speakers. Can you imagine that? If only these people knew who I really was, they probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with me anymore.

I'm such a proud guy, I'm afraid if I can't sustain the dishonoring task of canceling my presentation, I will take my own life rather than confess to being, plain and simple, a drug addict. A coward one with a good job, a great poser, but in the end, a pill popper.  
This is an old thread brother. There will be a lot of support for you on this site - maybe copy and paste your post onto a new thread - All the best and you will get through this...
F71
...for too long, the withdrawal off Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) or Subutex (buprenorphine) is worse then pain killers. I was sick for 2 wks coming off of subutex, i am still not right in the head after 6 months, now have some sort of unexplained vision problems. Suboxone & Subutex has not been tested for long term use, i took it for 2 yrs. But i must say it is the only thing that kept me off norco. It is an opiate blocker and can become very addicting. Below is how I've gotten off pain killer/opiates/subutex as painless as possible.....

1) Clonidine - Blood pressure medication (taken only for a short period of time, do not abuse) helps with not feeling the withdrawal as much (PRESCRIPTION NEEDED)
2) Neurontin (Gabapentin) - Helps with nerve pain (PRESCRIPTION NEEDED)
3) Trazadone 100mg -Take nightly to help with insomnia (PRESCRIPTION NEEDED)
4) St. John's Wart - Take 3 times a day to help with depression, can take for months if needed (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
5) Motherwort - Take 3 times a day with St. John's Wart works great when combined -for depression (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
6) Kava Kava - Helps with anxiety, can take at any time of day, can make you a little sleepy if take to much. (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
7) Vitamin B6 - Helps calm the mind, take to help with the mind tricks your mind can play on you, when your mind cannot rest. Can take 3x a day. (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
8) 5HTP - helps control insomnia, mood (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE
9) Adrenal Support - Helps with fatigue, energy level balance - Take in AM, and no later then 1pm, gives you energy. I take Liquid ADRENIX manufactured by Innovita. Trust me out of all of the products I've recommended this one is important. Taking pain killers shoots out your adrenal glands. (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
10) Ginkgo - Improves short term memory and energy levels.(BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)

I know it sounds like a lot, but i have done this so many times with all types of opiates. If you are thinking about quitting give the above herbs/prescriptions a try, it all helps to make the transition an easier one. It will NOT take the pain away completely, but boy it sure helps and makes it as painless as possible. Do not try with nothing, it's just so painful & you don't need to. I feel for everyone and good luck. If you have any questions please let me know.

-F-
F71
I know how you feel, It is the worst thing i had ever gone through in my life, help is here...if you can get the below...it works and drink lots of water. It will get better soon just hang in there :) Good luck and stay strong.

I agree with F71 - all those suggestions are good ones.
I read your story, and im currently going through the same thing. I was on "norco" aka Vicidon for a good 5-6 months, due to bad kidney stones, and undergoing surgery. I too, ran out. What made me decide to stop all together, my 2 year old daughter. Im on day 4 of being off of them. The past 3 days have been hell, not sleeping, not really eating, diahrrea, cold sweats, hot flashes, yawning, ect. I just try to keep myself busy with my daughter, and cleaning the house. So far today I have been feeling about 50% better. So im hoping another day or two I will be back to normal. Good luck to you, and all, we are not alone.

-someone..
just stopped vic. on wednesday, ache all over and can't sleep. so restless can't stand it.
I've been taking them for 2 1/2 years for my back, now my back is killing me again.
I'm trying to not get another prescription filled, but might have to.
Can't stand this....
theres a program called the suboxine program that helps your withdrawls undercontroll so you can get through this. i also have a problem an it feals endless and hopeless i canot be on the program becouse i have a goverment insurance. you can do this never stop given up babe. when you do get clean the sun will come out in your soal and the hand cuffs will be offf keep giong foward
This helps
My man and I are both hooked on vikes, long story short, for years.
Both get RX's and we have ways to get them (VERY EXPENSIVE AND SICKENING)
He deals better than me emotionally when without
I physically and emotionally am a wreck without them
He takes them less then me (up to 15 a day?)
I have taken 25 10mg in less then a day
NEED US TO BOTH QUIT!
I would attempt it but I know he gets his refill soon. I thought of selling mine or at least hiding mine till I could get rid of them. Point is, I want him to quit also!
I am having high stress and anxiety and take xanax to help the w/d symptoms.
Am so broke I cant afford vitamins to help the side effects.
Vicodin are like an antidepressant for me, most times, although lately ive noticed myself more angry.
They DRAINED MY BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They made me into an awful person, accusing him of having more...
Here is another issue, without saying too much about me...
I was deployed and have some type of combat stress and ptsd from watching my family member die in front of me at the hospital and lost it, LOST IT!
Those help me cope with the stress and flashbacks, I did not witness luckily combat trauma, but the things I went through nearly broke me.
I WANT TO CHANGE, but when I take them it makes me feel like I can do anything and im a friendly social person who people like.
This is an old post.  Go to the top of this page and click on post a question.  There are many people here that would love to help you.  I think you and your man both need to quit.  As long as he has them in the house you will not be able to stop.  I will look for your post.
I did exactly the same thing. I erased all of my numbers in my phone that had any link to pills. But It wasn't good enough, I eventually started up again. I am down to two specs a day. But I'll taky oxys or hydros it doesn't matter I don't think. But I take 2 either 7.5 or 10mg per day one in the morning and one in the late afternoon like 4 or 5pm. Then I take cyclobenzaprine one 10mg @ night. This system helps for me. The older you get the more your sexual appitite will settle. But then again everyone is different. I just think it may be dangerous to mix pills with love. Take care I hope this helps a little.

And Im not saying what Im doing is right ok. Everyone should get off of them. But when your in pain what other relief is there? I bought a Tens machine on ebay it helps but its not the answer to my prayers.

I just wanted to aks you if it really does get better? I've been taking Vicodin 10mg 8 - 12 a day for a year for my arthritis and degenerative disc disease.  I'm 29 years old and DO NOT want to be on these for the rest of my life! I tries stopping a couple of times but the twitches in my body and the 'RESTLESS EVERYTHING" syndrome made me keep taking them.  I'm scared to do this but I know it's for the best.  Please tell me what I should do or how to ease the restless part. I can't stand that!
I havd good and bad news if you go cold turky then you with have some wd ****$ and shakes! Lests face it, we are are all here because we ate the pill, banged the dogfood,no one put agun to my head! and dont tell me about your pain i have 4 screws in my right leg, one in my knee , a pin in my thumb and t5- to s1 are wired nine and tigh.  thats the bad news good news getting off the oyxes was the best thing i can do. 3 days you will 70% better  if you want off then get off Pick your self and drive on I t all in you head, the fear of the dt monster, its no worse than the flu! dont go the suboxin or metjadone route you geetin addicted to a new drug. firFor Gods sake dont involve bnzos itslike haveinf the opi. 50 lb monkey on your back but has now gained 400 lbs good luck wish you much success!
Really glad to hear you are doing well; hope you made it through ok
liked your testament and was shocked about the Indian comment
that is terrible that they can get away with that  type of disregard
for people 'SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT  SUCH IMMUNITY
FROM THE LAW"................Anyway that's another story!
  Hang In There and Good Luck To You
                                                  KP
Pleeeeze try very hard to get past this situation you are in !
  100 10's is an astonishing amount. You are very very lucky
to be alive! God Bless and Keep you
I've gone 24 hours without a vicodin. Thats the longest I've gone without one for almost 3 1/2 years.I was taking 3-4 x750's a day. I decided to try cold turkey. I went cold turkey with cigarettes just about 2 years ago, and I was fine. But, when I did that I had the vicodin to help me through it. All day all I've thought about was the vicodin. I still have about 75 pills, but I dont want to get rid of them. I really dont know why, since I dont plan on taking them. I thinks its because I feel its like looking the monster in the face and saying, "I'm gonna beat you". I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I've never experienced withdrawal. I have sleeping pills, that I got from my doctor because I have trouble staying. asleep. Is it bad to take them while trying to quit vicodin? I'm really glad I found this group. I think this is going to play a huge part in helping me quit!
Sean,
Being a man has nothing to do with it; before you're a man you are a human.
You can get through and I doubt you have harmed yourself to any great extent.
Just take it a day at a time and be very patient  with yourself.
                                             Good Luck and God Bless
I am on vicodine and have been for about 10 years. It started with a couple a day and now I am up to 6 a day. I am really really scared to come off of them due to my back pain. I can't stand being on them anymore but I also can't handle the back pain. I want to try. I"m worried because my doctor has no idea that I take so many. I just rescently had single by-pass surgery and scared that I will have a heart attack if I come off them. I have high blood pressure as well. I want to tell my pain magmt doctor but I"m afraid He will turn me in or something. I want to turn 50 vicodine free. I hate thinking of them all the time. I sweat all the time, eat a lot, down a lot but they do give me energy for some reason. Anyone know why?
I'm in hell right now.

I ran out of my scrip = 10/500 Watson 540's (IMO... the best, cleanest, most effective Hydrocodone/Apap out there.

I had been out 2 days and bummed a few 5/500 from a friend.

I decided to see the doctor.

Getting out of the shower, I realized I was running late.

I got lost.  I got there 1/2 hour late waning to burst into tears but held them inside my 47 yr old man body.

I was already strung out and feeling WD pangs.

The clerk suggested rescheduling my appointment.

But my MEEEEEDS%$#@!

Does she not get that I NEED my opiates?

I stormed out of there bashing through glass doors, kicking at a newspaper and jamming my foot into the concrete, something my medicated self would never feel but my withdrawal self felt instantly and I can still feel.

I see lots of folks on these boards asking if they only take 1or 2 or 3 pills a day if they're still an addict....

I have taken 2-4 (mostly never over 2) 10/500 tablets per day for the past ten years.

I decided after the DR office episode that my life's been fukd up for far too long from these pills I can't seem to function without... that it's time to shake 'em.

I've been cold turkey for 36 hours of emotional and physical hell... but if the worst is over, I'll make it.

I quit a 35-year, 2-packs/day Marlboro habit over a year ago the same way.

It wasn't easy and I don't expect this to be but I have to try.

Addiction is a personal thing...one person's bottom line is another person's max... it really comes down to the quality of life and what's in control...

Some might think it laughable that I could consider myself an addict taking only 20Mg/day of opiates but I know better. I know when I plan my vacations, trips, activities around my pills. I know how angry, short-tempered, anxious, withdrawn, asocial, and self-immersed I've become...  I am not me any more and I want to get me back.

I bailed on driving down and spending Thanksgiving with my family today...  I woke up so drenched in self loathing and pity that I just couldn't bring myself to make it.  This is big as it's something I have never done in the past.

This is probably the saddest (next to the one following my grandmother's passing...) Thanksgiving I've ever spent.  A part of me just wants to die and yet there must be some part of me that wants to self preserve as I am here.

Thanks/Love
Mark
Mark, I totally understand. I was taking 3-4 vicodin a day (750mg) for 3 1/2 years. Yea, they were prescribed and I didn't exceed the daily prescription amount. I too planned everything around them. I made sure when I went to Mexico I had a few in my pocket, just in case we were delayed. Yesterday was the first Thanksgiving in 4 years that I was not on vics. O felt good. My wife knows I had a problem, but she didn't until I told her last week. I'm 11 days clean now. I would convince myself that only taking 3-4 a day is no big deal. Besides, I was Only going by the prescription right? I'm still feeling WD. Last night I tossed and turned all night. It was the first time in a few days I actually thought about vicodin. I'll get some tylenol pm for tonight. My back actually feels better without the pills. It's amazing how our mind convinces is that we need the pills. Hang in there brother. This sight is awesome with the best people you could ask for.
I meant to share this story yesterday, since it was Thanksgiving and i have lots to be thankful for, especially for the people I've met here. Thank you for all your support!

Anyway, I work for the Department of Welfare, over 20 years. I meat a lot of people with addiction problems. I'll be honest, I'm one to judge them because I never had a problem, so I cant see why they do. You can stop. Well, needless to say I see things in a new perspective now. I'm one of them. Imagine that!

I interviewed a man on Wednesday. He had never applied for benefits before, he's 50. He was just released from prison on a work release program. He was missing one of his front teeth. As I was talking to him, he felt the need to spill his guts to me. I did not tell him anything personal about me... for whatever reason he just felt the need. He started by saying, "addiction doesn't discriminate". I let him continue.. it was like he was sent to me for a reason. He said he had been an addict, and then corrected himself and said "I am an addict". He had worked 20 years for the government as a pharmacist. He became addicted to pain pills, and started to falsify paperwork to feed his habit. Of course, he was caught and was put on probation. He lost his job in August. While on probation, he continued to use, was drunk in a bar, fell and lost a tooth. He violated his probation and went to prison.

I learned a lot from this man. .a very successful career, happily married in a very nice section of NJ, had everything going for him. Until addiction got him. It didnt care that he was never in trouble before. It didnt care that he was married. And it didnt care that it would turn his life upside down. He is right... Addiction Does Not Discriminate.. and it never will! God bless all of us trying to fight this demon.  
So i went to pick up my script today, which the doc only gave me 60 of. (vicodin 10mg) when i normally get 240 a month, but now he's tapering me off.  I know it's a good thing but a part of me likes them too much to want to quit. I know I shouldn't but I do. My fiance is just now starting to realize my problem here and thinks that all I need to do is stop taking them. He doesn't get it, no one does.  80 to 120 mg's of vicodin a day and he just thinks I can stop like that. I've been on these for a year now and he thinks I can just stop?  Why do I feel like I need these everyday to get up? I hate that! The one WD symptom that I hate the most is are the restless legs, arms.....everything is restless and when I don't have them I can't sleep AT ALL. I have 3 children who are all under 6 and I need my sleep to be able to take care of my babies.  My older 2 go to school and my little guy is almost 3. So how am I supposed to quit these things and take care of them too? I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go from here.  I want to stop them but I don't want the effects of it. I just simply cant stand this really. If I taper off them will I still feel as bad and will the restless part go away? Someone explain this to me please because I'm at a loss and don't know what to do!
I hope it is a typo, were you really taking 100 one hundred pills a day???
I have pins in my knees and stuff too, so i feel some of your pain. I have problems with my back, but obviously not as bad as you do. Pain is Pain though and it *****. I would never go the suboxone or methadone route! my aunt did methadone for years and she would nod out and look like an idiot. I would never want people to see me like that! I have tried the benzos to help ease the wd symptoms but for me they dont work anyway. I was on adavan 1mg tabs a few years ago and quit those cold turkey.  I never knew that what I went through were WD's, but it sucked horribly!  So far today I havent taken any vicodin and im trying not to. The only thing that gets me is the restless everything and the twitches. If I start to get these I'll probably take a 1/4 of a 10mg just to make that go away. It's been 12 hours so far, which is not a lot I know, but it's a start and im trying right? Anyway congrats on getting off the oxys!
Hi P.

Nice to hear from someone with the same awareness. I started to say dilemma but clearly, it's better to make this a positive.

I'm on day 4 and I have MAJOR shakes and inner angst as is typical of withdrawal from opiates...

Interestingly, I have yet to experience any back pain which is why I began taking hydrocodone in the first place.

I figure its A) my pain receptors are still unaware/awake because of the buildup of hydro in my body or B) My brain reprogrammed the neurology of its pain receptors for so long (during the 10+ years of medicating) that it no longer understands pain as it used to prior to my consumption of Vicodin...

I am to the point that I would rather feel pain (and all the other wonderful and not-so-wonderful emotions which make up the human experience) than stay comfortably numb on pain pills.

I hope that the worst is behind me but I am careful not to be too cocky and I am prepared to accept that things might get worse.  

I will do whatever it takes to kick this.

I quit a 35-year, 2 packs/day cigarette habit last year via 'cold turkey' and it was just as hard I think.

I need to go shopping for all of the natural ingredients on this list which I copied from the website I posted on.  Here it is in case you need some nutrients.

Thanks for the shout and kind, encouraging words.  It's always good to have someone to share with.

If you need anything, I'm here.

Be and stay well,
Mark
Hey there!

You are NOT the summation of the medication you take...  It is A facet of your life but it is NOT what defines you.

Pills did not get you a degree, a meaningful job, the ability to represent your country and your institution at an international convention brother.

Please recognize the separation between you the man and you the addict.  

being, plain and simple, a drug addict. A coward one with a good job, a great poser, but in the end, a pill popper.  (SEE ABOVE!)

If only these people knew who I really was, they probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with me anymore. (SEE BELOW)

People are compassionate and understand that we all have our inner demons.  Just look at this board if you need proof~:)  

I'm sure that the same redeeming qualities which allow you to excel in your profession, though they also craftily hide your inner demon.... those qualities are far grander than the facet (that tiny word again...) of you which has kept you addicted.

Love yourself brother and believe in whats good about you.  I do and I haven't even ever met you~:)

As Freddy Mercury would say... "KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE@!"
Mark

Hi, Im in almost the same situation as you :( I was on Percocet for 8 years, never missed a day) I have 2 children,...that was MY excuse all those years. I would think to myself, how can I stop taking this pills if I have to work, take care of children, do housework etc..?? well Im gonna tell you how I did it...12 days ago I realized that everything will have to just suffer for a minute until I get better!!! I have no support system, so I knew it was gonna me, alone doing this! But look at it this way, would u rather continue to function, but only because the pills are functioning for you, or would you rather feel like **** and not be productive for a few days and then be pill free??? I quit cold turkey and the first 4 days were hell...my house was a disaster , I basically did what I had too for the kids, ( made quicker meals etc..) but trust me..THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! The restless leg thing was one of my hardest withdral symptoms, I found showers and bathes and walks somewhat helped...( I begain going for daily walks on day 4) by day 6 I felt sooooo much better....my energy is still not 100% but Ive heard full recovery can take a few weeks, either which way I am well on my way to a healthy lifestyle....it is gonna be hard but you can do it....its is sooo worth it!! :)
Hi SJ-  I just joined this site.  I read your thread from September about Vicodin and how you said you were an addition counselor so I wanted to email you. Never thought I'd be on this website talking about a problem I never thought I had.  I've been on vicodin off and on....more on....for about a year now.  To me, that sounds like a LONG time.  Then, I hear more about people who have been on them for 3 or 5 years or longer.  I couldn't imagine but I can't deny that could happen to me.  After reading some of these posts, seems my addiction is pale in comparison.  I may take one or two vicodin with alcohol and only one time have I taken 3 10mg's in a span of about 4 hours.  I'm not trying to minimize it.  I'm a pharmaceutical rep and while I don't doctor shop, I have "friends" that will supply me pretty much when I want.  Part of me wishes they would cut me off and part of me is ecstatic when I pick up that new rx at CVS.  I added it up and I have about 6 people I've gotten vico from in the past year.  That scares the **** out of me....that's it's gotten to that point....but also scares me to quit because I absolutely love the feeling it gives me.  It's definitely my d.o.c.  How did you get addicted?  I have found I do it on random nights.  I may work all day, go to gym, and then come home and while I'm cooking dinner and listening to music and drinking wine I found I crave it the most.  Are you the same way?  I wonder if you think this next issue is commonplace as well; Well, I've been dating a woman for roughly a year now, except for a few months we split up.  Is it common to take vico/drugs as a "buffer" for what could be lacking in a relationship?  I have to add that I also have been drinking a LOT.  Well, I have come to realize I'm not in love with her.  I think I've started using more and more bc I feel bad/want to feel numb for not loving her.  Though she hasn't said she loves me, I'm perceptive enough to figure things out.  I could go on and on.  It helps me to talk about it.  I know someday I'll need to quit and that day scares me.  I've been clean for 5 days now (took 3 pills on thanksgiving) and I"m out.  I could get more but part of me is doing everything possible to not call my source.  Did you ever use because you were bored and just wanted mental stimulation?  Thanks for listening!!!    CL1970
So, yeah... I messed up too!

I'm a pre-med college student with a pretty good GPA, yet unfortunately discovered pain pills and use them recreationally.  This summer I took 3-4 10mg Vics three times a week, which wasn't too bad..yet my use progressed until my dose got up to a scary 10-12 10mg Vics a day. Like everyone else here, I'm simply tired of the lifestyle, and genuinely don't remember what normality feels like.  I'm 24 hours free of the little yellow devils, so thats the first step.  The second step is knowing that the worst of the withdrawal symptoms (for my usage) will be days 2-4... I've read some of these posts, and it looks as if 'taking walks' and 'hot showers' will be in my foreseeable future.  I'm looking forward to part three of this love story, where I happily wave goodbye to the $@#$# pills and set forth upon life with sound mind and body. Thanks for everyone's posts; I can learn something from everybody on this message board.
I've been taking vics off & on for 20 years but always stopped once my doctors quit prescribing. Then I found a contact how sells them which are very expensive.  Well, I've been taking 8 to 12 a day, probably OD's one night because I forgot when I took them last & ate like 60 mg in a couple hours.  I'm almost 48 hrs without any, I've blocked my contact so they can't call me & feeling pretty darn bad.  Very restless, headache, tired, etc.  I just need to remember this so I don;t start back up.  
Hope you're hanging in there.

I quit the day before Thanksgiving when I ran out of my scrips and missed my DR. appt.

Cold turkey...

Day 3-5 hurt the most but overall wayyyyyyyy easier to kick than cigarettes which I also quit cold turkey over a year ago.

Oddly, the back pain I suffered for so many years and why I began taking the pills in the first place, is no more....

I don't know how long it will be this way but for now, I am doing pretty good.

Drink lots of water, get lots of rest, eat healthy, avoid stress and believe in yourself.

Opiates leave the body/mind/spirit pretty fast if you let them~:)

Peace Brother
Mark
Oh yeah...

I also took extra strength Excedrin 2-4 as needed.

I think A) the Acetaminophen eased the withdrawals and B) helped me relax a bit and C) psychologically allowed me to take 'a pill' thereby going through the placebic motions without the cost of freedom from Hydrcodone...

Maybe this is all crap but I tend to analyze everything and if the end result is recovery then so be it.

Fight the good fight!
M
NOTE: This is a long entry and is for them that are addcited to and or are ready to quite using Vicodin. This will most likely not help you if you are taking something stronger than regular Vicodin.

I am a 42 year old suffering from Lupus and the pain that goes with it. I am in the late part of the 48 hour withdrawal phase and it has been hell. My doctor took me off of Darvocet about a year ago when it was pulled from the market. She put me on 4 Vicodin's a day which came to 120 per month. They would last on average about a week and a half. I eventually started getting them earlier and earlier until finally my long time pharmacist kindly and with a genuinely friendly demeanor to seek help for addiction. This was on the 30th of November 2011 and here I am on the morning of the 12th of December going through withdrawals. It is hell but I am not going back to the pills. This is a forced cold turkey for me and I know that this is the time that I stop because I went through this with both cigarettes and alcohol. I quit both cold turkey on my 30th birthday and I never went back. I had my temptations and the desire to smoke lasted for at least two years but eventually I made it through because I was ready to make it through.

In this next paragraph I am going to be as blunt with you as I was to myself about cigarettes and alcohol and now Vicodin. Here goes. STOP IT OR IT WILL KILL YOU. It's just that simple. If you came here to see how to deal with the withdrawals knowing that you'll take more in the near future then stop reading this. You are not ready to quite until you can do the following as I did this past Friday. First of all stop taking the medications. Throw the rest away. I had about 6 left and I flushed them Friday morning. Next step. Own your situation and stop blaming the drugs or life or whatever else you have done to get yourself this deep into your self imposed addiction. Us addicts need to own what we are doing and or have done in order to move on. I have done this with Vicodin as I did with cigarettes and alcohol. Next step. Call your pharmacy and flat out tell them to put a note onto your record that you are an addict and that you do not want further refills. Make sure to tell the main pharmacist and at least one of the workers in the pharmacy. And make sure that is is written on your file. Noted in bold and even highlighted. Next, call your doctor and do the same thing. If you talk to the secretary or medical office assistant ask for someone higher up and have them do the same with your file. When it came time for me to quite drinking I made a flayer with my photo on it and made copies. I took them to all of my usual hang outs and booze pick up joints and explained what I was do8ng and had them post it prominently where I and they and the world could see it. You will be amazed at just how effective this is and at just how much support people will give you. Finally, you'll need to grow a damn backbone and stop being a whining little addict and just stick to this. The time is now. Trust me when I say that waiting and or trying to cut back will not work. You'll just keep going on and on and on.

And now for the withdraws. I go through them monthly and have been for almost a year now. I am an expert on them by now. Make sure the family knows what is going on and what to expect. Make sure that you take at least three days off of work to get through the very worst of it. Here is what you can expect to happen in those first few days. The first 12-24 hours will be the worst in my opinion. This is the period when your body is demanding a fix. Resist! This is the time to call your pharmacy and your doctor and to tell the family that you are ready tog o through this in order to get to being normal again. The second day you'll feel slightly better lapsing in and out on sleep. Rest as much as possible and drink at least one gator aid a day and as much water as you can take in. For food I would suggest low acid fruits. For me kiwifruit and bananas seem to work the best. Just avoid heavy and acidic foods and avoid all dairy products. The dairy will make your diarrhea worse and make that paste mouth much worse. On the third day (which I am going into now) you'll feel slightly better but you'll have flu like symptoms until at least day four. By the end of day four get out and start to walk a little bit. Get some fresh air. Take a few deep breaths. Pain killer lower your ability to smell and so this fourth day deep breathing will make you aware that you are not only getting better but that you are literally coming back to your senses. If you do work you should be going back about now because the symptoms are still there but not nearly as bad as the first few days. As the week wears on start to eat more and more normal foods. The more natural the food the speedier your recovery. Vitamin supplements help greatly as well.

At the end of week one you are well on your way to recovery from Vicodin addiction if you truly want to stop. As the next week begins follow up with your doctor and your pharmacy and make sure that they have noted that you are going clean. This will serve to make sure that getting another prescription will be very difficult and it will also help you to keep admiring to yourself that you had a problem but are ready to move on and away from that problem.

As the weeks wear on you'll get better and better until eventually you are a new person. A happier and more mature person for having has been strong enough to get through this. Trust me when I say that even though I am only going into my third day that I know what I am talking about here and I know that I am finally ready to quite. As I stated earlier I have already done this twice with two other addiction and I made it through them, just fine and have never gone back. This is my time to battle and win this war. I refuse to let medication dictate how good or bad I feel. I own me. The medication owns nothing unless we give ourselves to it and then we are that medications slave. Don't be a slave. The time is now and I am here for you.

I can be here for you and I'll need someone here for me. Let's go through this together. If you want to you can e-mail me at ***@**** and we'll help one another. If you are reading this in early 2012 or later I will have been clean for a while and will be here to help you. Just reach out. You are not alone. You can do this. I can do this. I have done this.
From reading all the different comments and going thru withdrawl myself.
It seems to me that eveyone is going to have a different experiance withdrawing from
this posion in our system. Some have it easy some not so easy and some just Brutal!

I did like what ohsosick said about getting rid of the meds. This goes with all addictions i believe.
Getting rid of the Booze or Cigs or whatever ur doc is. Calling your doctor and Pharmacist is definetly
like the gutsiest move! I highly recommend that! That closes the door esp with the Pharmacy! Yea,
you could goto another Pharmacy. And yea you could doctor shop. But, then you have to work at it so
at least it give you time to say " you know what i am not going to do this again" then stop the madness
thinking.....Anyway thats all i have to say about that.

To all going thru this now. Your xmas will be a special one I garantee it ESP if you have been addicted for
along time!

So stay true and do this for you to keep from being ever so blue again!

Merry Chirstmas All!

Sparticus... :-)
Mark I hope you are feeling better... your story inspired me to write this ~ I've been sitting here reading all these stories and I'm so glad I found this site cuz it does help soooo much... I was also a 3-4 vicodins a day addict for about 6 years now... I always took exactly what was prescribed to me and it was prescribe because I get severe headaches and have some neck and back pain ~ of course I don't even know if thats still true because I just really like the vic's so much I just keep making up reasons or exaggerating my symptons to my Doc to write the scipt for me.... and if for any reason I ran out I had some connections to hold me over til I could see the Dr.  Well a couple of months ago my dr just decided to change the script from 4max a day to 2max a day... I wasn't happy at all but was able to supplement from my connections... I went to him 4 days ago because I completely ran out and couldn't get them elsewhere, well suddenly he wouldn't prescribe them! What??? He said I should have enough til Jan 12!!?  I thought omg ~ thats a whole other month away!! I panicked and tried to argue my point that he changed the maximum daily dosage... He walked out of his office saying nope computer won't let it go thru have a happy holiday!  I could have cried in his office right there... But I just said to myself ok, this is it, you have to stop and as long as you get them you'll never stop... I left there with my head held high, and just hoped that the last half I had from the morning would last in my system just until I got home... I stopped at a pharmacy and bought advil and aleve and headed home ~ feeling somewhat good about my decision or forced decision that  I'm gonna finally quit this!!  Well this my 4th day and I have felt like I wanted to die.  Vicodin made me feel alive, ready for anything, happier, more social, motivated, and all aches and pains magically gone... Now I feel heavy, achey, exhausted, soooo depressed and no motivation to even leave my house... I always rationalized that my addiction was minimal cuz I only took 3-4 per day... but I knew deep down that I would plan everything around my pills... vacations, work stuff, fun stuff, just everything!  I sit wondering if I'm ever gonna really feel better off the pills, its been so long since I felt that way I hardly remember... but what I do remember is always feeling headachey and tired and how my life is so different in the last 6 years cuz I actually always feel good! I've actually accomplished alot in my life in the last 6 years, so other than the having to have my fix ~ I don't really associate anything negative with taking them other than its like my own dirty little secret... And of course, they're so hard to get and the stigma of them is getting worse and worse... The only thing that makes me really want to quit is the fact that I am soooo upset if I can't get them ~ it actually runs my life, as far as ruining my life I can't really say that... And of course I'm sure its not healthy for your body to be taking these on such a regular basis either (I mean I never missed popping my pill 3x a day) and I always knew that someday I would have to stop... My doctor has made comments to me in the past like you know you can't take these forever... of course in my head I think really why not??  So I'm 4 days cold turkey and I' hoping that because I wasn't taking 20 or more a day the withdrawals will hopefully lessen soon ~ but my other problem is that my connection called me this morning saying hey I have some now if you want them??  I feel like I am at war with myself ~ part of me is saying YES GET THEM! and the other part of me is saying YOU HAVE 4 DAYS UNDER YOUR BELT, DON'T DO IT!!
I've been crying, reading all your posts, crying some more, and fighting this war inside me... I feel like a human yo yo ~ Help!
Ok, no help I guess... I thought this was a forum where people help one another with the same problem... I feel like my comments quieted a whole forum!! lol  Well anyway, I'll write this just in case anyone's listening ~ I ended up giving in to my cravings on day 5 because a friend of mine had some percs and gave me 6 of them... I was actually almost feeling a lil better, but decided it wasn't a good time of year to actually quit... Sound familiar?? Thats an addict rationalizing again... So I had written in my previous comments that this same friend of mine who gave me a few percs had called me while I was in day 3 and 4 of withdrawals (by far the worst of it) and said she could get me a bunch of vicodins. So what did I do? Well I guess when someone dangles a carrot in front of an addict, one that wasn't fully committed to quitting, this is what you get...
Once again, I gave in to the devil in my own head after yo yo-ing for a day or two about getting them.... I finally took a perc which was just gonna hold me over til the vic's came thru in a couple of days... So, with the swallowing of this 1 stupid little pill, I was committed to this life again.  (btw I don't really like perc's, they give me a different feeling than the vic's do and they're not really what I ever want, but sometimes take them if I have nothing else.) So the craziness begins again... Well low and behold I start taking the percs and suddenly start feeling a little better, but know once I get the vic's I'm really set... Now I'm really craving them again... So, what do you think happens? I only have like 6 perc's and of course I begin to cut them in half and try to make them last a few extra days til the ones I want finally come in... Wait, I thought she said she actually had them? I don't think I would have been detoxing and then change my mind for something she MIGHT get?????  Wtf is going on????? Don't you HAVE THEM YET??
NOPE ~ and after a few days of 100 phone calls, she's not getting them after all... I begin to panic...again.... I was off them for 5 full days!!!! Even feeling a little better from the w/d's ~ WTF!! Now I have this **** in my system AGAIN and definitely don't want to go thru detoxing again the week before Christmas!!! I have soooooooo much **** to do and I already layed in bed all last week!! Holy crap!!  And I still have a while before I can see my doctor and wow here I am AGAIN trying to figure out a way to get more!!! TOTALLY CRAZY!!! Sound familiar???? It really is a horrible addiction and once again all I could think about for days is ~ I'm gonna be completely out! Now what??!!!!
Well, I know what... I need to be done with ALL OF THIS ~ this was actually really sad ~ to decide I'm done, then decide I'm not done, just to HAVE to decide I'm done again is HORRIBLE!
Yo yo ~ That's my new name... So my new approach is this... I made sure I got another 5 more perc's and I'm gonna ween myself over this next week, half twice a day til I go to half once a day to NO MORE... I have done this once or twice over the years and it's a much nicer way to quit than cold turkey... and the fact that they're perc's and not vic's is even better for me cuz I really don't like the perc's nearly as much... I just hope I can stay off of them for good this time because it's just sooooo not worth the panic and the ridiculous rationalizations that come along with a terrible addiction.  I'm hoping that this last bout with all this confusion of ~ ok I'm done, well maybe I'm not done if I can get them, to the craziness of the last few days of ~ I can get them for you, well not yet, ok still not yet, and then the grand finale'  of oooops sorry can't get them for you after all!!!!
I many never talk to her again, she said she was trying to help me, but, hey thanks for dangling a carrot in front of me and then never letting me have it...
But I hope the good that comes out of this whole crazy situation is that I've learned my lesson ~ because I do believe this was a lesson I needed to learn right now... That this addiction is JUST NUTS and I have to just say NO and mean it.... I don't want to live this crazy life of always trying to figure out if I have enough pills to last me til this or til that... And then I get them and I'm happy and then I don't and I'm not... It really does suck... And I would like to live my life without them instead of letting them run my life... I hope this helps at least someone out there.... you're definitely not alone... Yo yo
This post is over 4 years old and I am sure it is simply being over looked. If you go tot he top of this page you will find an orange Post A Question button. Hit that and follow the instructions. From there you will start your own post and allow the members to get to know you.

If you need help let someone know.
I too am getting off of vicodin cold turkey!  I am glad to read others posts as I was beginning to think maybe something more was wrong with me.  I am on day 9 and I too have had stomach pains, cramps, diarhea, night sweats, cold shakes, horrible sleep and an over all feeling of absolutely no energy.  Would love to know how long these symptoms will last?  We all need to stay strong, we Can do this!   Love to all who is suffering right now....
Please post this question as a new post. You will get a quick response that way.
You never have to label yourself an addict. You a a very successful person and all your acomplishments will never take away from the self driven person you are. How many thousands of people are taking this drug and sit on a couch and have nothing to be proud of. YOU ARE A SMART SUCCESSFUL PERSON AND NOTHING WOULD EVER CHANGE THAT AS LONG AS YOU ARE ALIVE. If you decide to stop the medicine you are one person that can.  GOD BLESS YOU!
Be careful with suboxen. It can easily turn into a substitute for the opiates. I took suboxon for last month after taking about a 150 ml of percocet a day.  I would begin my day with 45 mil before I got in shower, another 15 when I got out and another 15 when I got to coffee shop on way to work.  I would then do several throughout day to maintain.  suboxen is great to ween yourself down.  I would suggest half pill a day for week; quarter for two weeks and eighth for a week.  I am on day five without any suboxin and I feel like crap.  joint pain is awful but greatfully I have  a hot tub which has been a god send for the pain and anxiety.  I smoke a little pot at night and take a half of clonopin.  Today I am fatigued and emotional but the "feeling out of your skin" seems to have subsided.  This is my third detox and I can honestly say my last.  They say religion is the opiate of the masses....well I say percocet etc is the opiate of the *****! and I am one no more.  Stay clean and sober and fight the good fight.  Suboxin or not you are in for a pretty awful week when you finally stop.
WOW i really know how u feel i smoked pot since i was 14 I quit when i was 29 but i had an accident and got on norco 10 since then i have had 2 more accidents i feel like the last 3 or 4 years all ive really wanted is pot but i have substituted it for the norcos this is my first day of cold turkey for the third time and ive been drinking since 130 to try and get past the withdraws if my wife found out she would kill me not sure what to do last time i went through this i had to leave for 2 weeks and go into treatment but i was also comeing off of colonipin too
I feel the same way down to planning every aspect around my pills I take 6 to 7 10's a day my perscription says 4 so I guess Im an addict I justfy it because I dont take 40 a day but if I take over what Im perscribed I have a problem..I left my job Im losing everything Ive worked for I take my pills with food so I gained 80lbs ..Im looking to go cold turkey tomorrow..I hope its all over for you and you feel better
Edward:
I've been reading posts for the last three days and have found yours very helpful. I never smoked, but I did stop drinking over 23 years ago. Then - I came upon painkillers. I've been using them, off and on, for about 10 years. I've gone through mild WDs, but this time is VERY different. I'm older, 61, had shoulder surgery eight months ago, and the doc gave me Norco. I abused them, stole drugs from friends, looked in to medicine cabs whenever I visited other homes, etc. So, after eight months of taking 5 to 10 Norcos daily, I had enough. I stopped, cold turkey. Told my wife, kids, doc. Ending day 3; it has been hell, but one thing, this is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and in a way am grateful that it is hell, because I finally know I won't do this again, I told my wife that if I ever need surgery, and although I've told my doc to red flag me as an addict, and somehow get a script for the stuff, to stop me if I don't remember this hell. I don't think that will be a problem. Thanks again. If you are out there I hope you're clean and doing well.
Congratulations and i envy anyone who can get off this "crap" I've been on it way too long and need to get off of it! I am so afraid of the pain my body will go through:(
God Bless you all who have overcome
I'm a 26 year old woman who never thought she'd have an addiction problem. But 3 years ago I started having surgeries for a bad case of endometriosis. I haven't needed surgery for 2 in a half years, but have been taking hydrocodone on and off since the first surgery. Its very difficult to give up the drug once you realize that it can make you feel really good. But I've learned that it is an illusion. You think you are friendlier, more energetic, and able to accomplish so much more under the influence of the pills, but truly, over time you realize you've become more irritable, and more unable to be satisfied with things that used to be plenty. You feel panicky when you start to run out. Hell, I will be completely honest; these pills have turned me into someone that would steal from a friend. I have a friend and he gets all the pills he wants and he shares them with me...but often times I feel it isn't enough, or that I will run out, so I take them without asking. I've finally reached a point where I had to look myself in the mirror and truly ask myself if I was happy with me. Did I like the person I was being? And the answer of course was no. But I refuse to get any type of professional help because I feel like this is my battle, and no one else's business. Or maybe that's another way of saying I'm ashamed of myself, and I don't want the world to know. But here's the deal, I do believe I am strong enough to fix what I have done on my own. And if I can do it, then anyone can. Today is my first day quitting again for the 3rd time...Here are some things that have helped me get through it before:

1) Take vitamins and even add airborne to your daily ritual for awhile. The herbs and amino acids in the airborne seem to give an extra boost that the vitamin alone won't do.

2) Take Advil PM at night to help with the insomnia. It won't completely cure it, but it does take some edge off.

3) Smoke marijuana. Seriously. If you are already a smoker, I don't need to explain why. If you are totally against it, well, you are missing out on one of life's greatest gifts. (It's people who abuse weed that make people who use it look bad)

4) Exercise! I know it sounds extra difficult, but trust me, the endorphins help in so many ways and it will help you sleep better on those tough nights.

5) Keep a Journal. This is very important. Its the perfect way to release your feelings when it gets rough, and a great way to record your achievements when you are sticking with it. Trust me, patting yourself on the back through this process goes a long way. Plus, because you can write anything at all that you want to say or get out, it's the perfect therapy.

6) Don't expect too much to quick or you will be inclined to give up. Remember that this is a process and you won't feel all magically better in one week or maybe even two. If you can remain patient, you will be less likely to give up, and before you know it, you really will be feeling all better again, and back to your usually self.

7) Remind yourself that one pill is never enough.... don't play the game of "well, just one this one time" It ALWAYS leads you down the same old road. So I guess you could also say that one pill is too much.

8) Don't beat yourself up or think you are some sort of scum bag living a lie. I mean, maybe you are. But odds are, you are just like most of us, a person doing the best they can at life, and trying to learn from their mistakes.

Let us all have success! We all have it in us to do anything we truly want to do! Good luck to everyone! I'm right there with ya!

-sade-  
I just got off phone w/my Suboxone Doc. It's been one month off Sub. Please PLEASE don't start sub. It's up to 40X stronger then morphine. It binds to your receptors so tightly, that it can take 6 mo of physical w/drawl(in some people) If you are addicted to vic's like me..It's not worth going on sub because your trading one addiction for another. Coming off vic's is a lot easier A LOT then sub. And no, tapering down doesn't help. At the beginning, I thought sub was godsent. I decided i didn't want to be dependent on anything anymore, and a month later, i'm still horribly sick. God luck to you.
wow-- actually just reading these (read about 50 so far) is helping. The 2 suboxones i had the past 2 days helped the most tho, but thats all i took and i will take-- been taking like 20 (at least) vicoprofens everyday for the last year (on and off- when i ran out, ill take some suboxone or neurontin or whatev til i get more, or just lay in bed), from toothaches, to lapband to tonsilitis to migraines, i always get desterate from pain, than stay hooked cuz i convince muslef i'm happier. But thats bs cuz i am so not happier, i havent had a job, attended school, done really anything except get these pills, and try to hang out with my son every second that i'm on them. now i'm out of money, pills, options and i';m grateful for this gift of desperation. i dont want to live in my dark room anymore, hidding form everyone and everything keeping this big secret, as i'm suppossed to have 3 years clean. i just want to be better. the past 4 or 5 days, have been absolut3e hell. restless, heart racing skin crawling, no sleep, diariah, vomiting, no eating, so mean, just awful. i took myself to the er and the dumb dr gave me 1 valium. wow. thanks. anyway, i just wanna stop and never start again. i havent gone thru a wd like this in 8 yrs and promised myself i would never do it to myself again.and i guess i forgot the true hell that it is, but now i remember and hopefully love myself enough to  know, i have now gotten thru the worst and please. god, dont ever hurt myself like this again.
You and I have a lot of the same stuff going on .. and it feels good to read these cause about 5 yrs ago after having my 4th and last child stuff started happening to me back and legs migrains ect. without in the last 3 yrs i have been put on hydros 10/325 and then percs 10/325 before the pain pills you couls bearly get me to take anything even when i have my first baby the drip stuff the dr and nurses was like HOLY CRAP!! honey your not even push the button ... anywho i have went cold turkey about 4 times and i dont wish that kind of pain on anyone hot and cold sweats,, shakes,, fever,, running to the bathroom, migrains,,, sleeping, not wanting to see the light of day,, lost of eating ,,,mood swing you name it I had it ,,and the times i did go cold turkey what seem to help a little not much but if you can get pass that 3 to 4th day reading a book bible ect if your in church that helps drinks water sleep sleep ..but I will not lie at the moment becuz i am also disabled i am still on the percs if i was everyone that didnt want to take them anymore i would  talk to a dr. about it or cut them in half until ur almost off.. kinda like smoking its a habbit to.
i have suffered with opioit addiction since i was 16, i am 33 now.  I have been off and on for years.  I started with heroine then onto vicodins.  I was put on subutex for 4 years.  I stopped those last year and the withdrawl was HELL!  I have been tampering with vicodins again for the last 3 months, I stopped cold turkey last night.  I have been taking 12 7.5's a day.  I still have some leftover sub's from last year in front of me but i cant figure out which withdrawl will be worse. Suffer a few days from the vicodin or restart the subutex to help with withdrawl, but how will I feel once I stop the sub's?  I think I'll power through the vicodins.  It took me 6 months to get over that subutex b.s.
I took the next few days off work to do all this.  It ***** but I did it to myself.  Good luck out there.
Wow, that is a great plan of action.  I need somthing to tell me I will not have to be as sick I have been/am.  Thank you so much.
It's not how many any one takes, it is why they take them. Out of necessity for medical problems or because we feel we need them
your noly going to be sick for around 4 or 5 days then you will feel a world better the mental part takes a wile as a whole the forum recamends aftercare both N/A and A/A are free and everywhere both are good programs get hooked up it will give you someone to talk to and it is critical for long term sobriety good luck and God bless......Gnarly
Thank you all for your posts. My wife started on the hydrocodones in September. and has gone from one a day to 16 in just that short time. Her reason is not medical but escape. We tried to ween off them but that lasted about 2 days and she was lying to me and buying additional ones.
She has promised me that today she is going to quit going cold turkey. Because of all the information you wonderful people have shared I have been able to put together things to help here through it. I won't say make it easy, because it is not easy. Thanks for all the info and tips and giving me hope that I can get my wife back. This site is one of those places that reaffirms the ability, goodness and strength of human nature. May God bless and protect all of you who have gone through it are going through it and will go through. You all give me hope.
help i been on zydone for 10 + years i was a cna for 30 yrs and had back surgery i need to quit because it is using up money now when i run out so i'm behind on my bills i'm in pain so much i need to know how to kick it all i have is gabapentin and ropinrole tranzadone i'm scared to take it because the withdrawls are so bad i'll have to take more please help me this taking over my life
you should try and make your own post in the main forum page here. that way your questions and concerns get answered. this post is from YEARS ago.

we have all been right where you are.
I found out in sept that my wife of 30 years had started getting pain meds off the street believe it or not her therapist made the arrangements. She only told me after agonizing months of financial troubles i could write a book but i need help in bringing her back this forum has provided hours of hope since i found it tonight.
Shes had migraines for 35 years weve tried the clinics to no avail just prescribed so much meds over the years a few years ago we went to cleveland through their treatment regimine which is no pain meds but last jan 2011 her therapist turned her on to street oxy n from there its just went down hill. Meeting people she dont know spending thousands a month. Once i found out the deception and trust was hard to overcome but we got through that and im determined to get her / us through this but how can i when the migraines are still causing so much pain? She know shesaddicted but afraid angry etc when we try to scale back
That was amazing.  Are you open with your family with this?  I live in a deep secret with this.  I feel alone.
I'm 27 now and have been on and off of vicodins since i was 17. I started taking it for some a severe foot injury and been hooked since. For me I liked the feeling it gave me, more energy, good mood,ect. Ive been off and on till a few days ago. Ive been exercising mostly boxing training and now that i stopped vicodin cold turkey once again, I feel aches and pains all over my body, my hands hurt like hell, i cant even hit the heavy bag any more feels like both my wrist are sprain. But i know its the withdraws from the vicodin because my whole body aches.But I know that I must and i want to really quit this habbit and reading all these post is really a big help to know i'm not alone and if others can do it so can I. so thanks all of you for your post and comments on this site it a big help to me and i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way. I just try my best to be head strong and tell my self that i dont need it. I know its not an easy thing to quit neither any type of drug, but some how some way it can be done its really up to yourself and how bad you want to quit. I may have tryed to quit many times before and failed, but i always tell my self this time is it, and maybe some day it will be.
Good luck Jessejames, why not consider taking a little time off while you detox?  I can't imagine having to go out into the world let alone work out while in w/d.  I've been on hydrocodone for years due to pain - it was no longer taking my pain away, so why keep taking it - I decided to get off and really didn't know how awful the withdrawal would be.  I feel lucky that my w/d surely wasn't as long in duration as heavier users but it was still pretty awful.  Now that I think I'm on the other side of the hump, I'm surely never taking pain pills again, I would never knowingly go through this again.  I wish you luck.
I am in day one of withdrawal after taking 10 a day for 3 years of vicodin - i used to take dilautid for 4 years - 13 a day - this is terrible feeling. i cannot eat, sleep, death would be welcomed at this point. is anybody going through this now i could talk to. I don' feel like going to an NA meeting or anything like that i just feel like laying here in misery.
Yes I too am going through this right now and it's day 1 for me as well. Im so tired and have the worst stomach cramps no energy but we can get through this together. I have been taking vicodin for 1 year on and off everyday and i kept telling myself that it was going to be my last one. But when I woke up this morning something hit me I knew i had to stop it can destroy your life and all I want to do is get back to normal.

Virginia
austin & jwheeler - I am on Day 8 and I'm here to tell you days 1 & 2 were probably the worst for me.   Just know you are probably in the thick of it right now and keep on doing whatever you can - whether you repeat "I can do this" over and over, take as much immodium as you need (which I didn't do the first day and a half - big mistake) I know you probably don't even feel like drinking water but try to force yourself.  Bananas, peanut butter, broth - try to eat something.  By Day 3 while I still felt like crap I knew the worst was past - just hang on and force yourself through this - you WILL feel better and it you make the committment it just keeps getting better.  I have ups and downs but I never ever want to go through detox again.  We are here keep posting if you can for support, let us know how you are doing.  Take care of yourself and treat yourself gentle right now.
Thanks so much for that post cause its been almost 25 hours. Can you tell me what you went through the first couple of days so that i know what I am up against and believe me I want nothing more than to get through this I cannot keep living everyday on narcotics Please help what did you do to get through the withdrawl symptoms.
j - just know that you are in the worst part right now - at least for me.  The first couple days were awful.  I was in the shower about 15 minutes out of every hour on the mark, some say baths but baths were too intense for me, showers did feel soooo good and honestly the only true relief I got those first few days.  i shudder to think what my water bill will be next month but whatever it is - it was worth it.  Once I started aggressively taking immodium that was another huge help for me.  I was soooooooo dehydrated I was probably a breath away from going to hospital to get fluids.  So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and if you have to take it a minute at a time then that is what you do.  Hang in there through these first couple days and treat youreself with a lot of care if you can.  If you can get a banana down that might help with restless less.  I tried melatonin, the hylands restless leg stuff and that just made things worse for me but others say it helped.  Everyone's body responds differently.  Hang in there and keep in touch let me know how you are doing.  Keep posting if you can, it gave me a lot of support just knowing what to expect - even if it was bad or I didn't get the answer I wanted from people, I got the answer I needed to hear.  I'm pulling for you!
Thank you right now im doing pretty good i have not experienced the diarrhea that alot of people get and its been about 27 hours since my last pill and as of this moment im eating OK and drinking Gatorade to keep up my immune system. I have not experienced the restless leg yet either so maybe i will not have the worst case with-drawls i am just praying i can pull through this pepto really helped with the stomach cramps though. When in your withdrawls did you experience the symptoms? And thanks for talking to me it is really helping.
Here's hoping you continue doing well.  My symptoms started less than 24 hours after my last pill and escalated for 2 days until they started receding.  If you've been on and off the last year maybe that is what is making the difference for you.  I've taken them on and off before for pain and never had any issues with them.  It is only with the last 3 solid years of daily use that I'm having withdrawals and once BELIEVE me is enough for me.  Keep posting if you need support.  I'll be here until Friday evening and I'm out of town for two weeks.  Wishing you well and hang in there!
Thanks its been 38 hours and so far so good. I slept pretty good last night. I am just happy that I am doing this and that i am not staring at a clock counting down the time to my next pill. Instead Im looking at the clock and being very pleased with myself that its been 38 hours. I know I can do this I am so glad i found this page theres so much support on here.
Just wanted to see how you were doing? Please post an update to tell us how your doing.
GOOD for you, that is great to hear it sounds like you may escape.  PLEASE use this experience as a cautionary tale in case you get tempted to use them again in the future - I never really had an issue with pills until this last round for the last 3 years.  You can use for years without having to pay the piper sometimes and I for one have totally learned my lesson.  So great to hear you are doing well.  Keep it up!
Austin - how you doing today - let us know how you are.  We are here if you need support.
   i think im at the worst of  it right now cant sleep and my stomach started hurting from the withdrawls i guess its been almost 3 days i hope it will soon get better
mark-

your comments made me laugh and cry, just because I've been there, done that.  It's hard period...no matter what dose you take!!! It's been a while since you posted, I just hope this finds you well, happy, healthy both physically and emotionally and vicodin free!!! xoxo sharon
How are you doing?  That's a pretty crazy story and I really hope it turned out good.  Michael
I too am addicted to pills.  Opiates.  I keep planning to stop and then realize it's a bad time becuase life has to go on and I feel I won't be able to function without them.  I never realized I feel physically weak without them.  I thought it would just be mental and emotional.  I've tried waiting my next dose out for several hours and am shocked at how sick I feel.
I have been thru chemo so the aches and pains I believe will be the least of it.  I've relied on these pills to get me going and 'do my thing' for so long I simply can't imagine life going on without them.  And how to chose an appropriate time to stop.  I have my own business and my father is facing brain cancer and I don't want to let my family down.  
So....this is my story.
soready - you're posting on a really old thread. go to the top of the page and
use the "post a question" button to start a new thread. That way people can see your post and help you. Good luck.
Thank you...ok, I will.  But I don't know if I have a question.  I suppose I just wanted to know there are others like me.  And that I have hope.  It's a burden I carry alone and lonely.  So afraid to share.  Nobody would understand the complications....the in's and out's of it.
Vicodin and oxycontin are not good drugs for long term pain because as your tolerance rises so does your use.  For long term pain, my pain doc has me on Fentynal patches and immediate release morphine sulfate.
well your on your way back leave those rainy days behind and live live would'nt it b a wonderful day to stop the chase your not alone there are many of us living a lie along side u but u dont have to live that lie no longer stand tall, stand proud,and survive close your eyes and send a good wish out to the many who need it.
Getting off of Hydrocodone is hell, I admit but you can do it. I have been off od it for four months now. In my opinion, you do not need to go to a clinic if you have understanding love ones. Here is what to expect. I went off cold Turkey. Please take at least 3 weeks off work to do this because I promise you will not feel like working.  Just stop taking the pills and get in bed. I took several warm showers a day . Push yourself to walk and exercise. But if you can get a RX for Xanex and take them at least 3 times a day for a month, especially to sleep. it will help you greatly. I did not develope  a habit for Xanex. It just takes the edge off.  Expect to be emotional . DRINK PLENTY OF WATER TO FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM

After the first three weeks it becomes much, much easier. Don't fall for the temptation to take a partial tablet. Don't do it. After a month you know things are going to get better. It took me three months to completely get it out of my system. But I was functional during that time. The numbness in my feet slowley went away, my appetite came back slowly . I am ok now. Life is good.  Thank GOD !   Anyone can do this . Staying on this drug is not an alternative. It will mess your system up BADDDD !  
I was taking around 1000mg of  narcos a day for about 5 years. I just recently quit, tomorrow will be 7 days. I've ran out before and felt like doody after not taking them for a couple hours, that's why I was always afraid to quit.  This thread inspired and helped me get this far!  I tapered my doses  by taking 5 a day besides my usual 10. After 2 days of that I took 2 a day for 4 days. Last Monday I took my last 10mg, erased all my dealers and prayed to god. I found something called Thomas Recipie.  I followed the Recipie to the t.  Drank lots of juice and Gatorade.  While I was using I had no appetite while I was using and now I'm eating like raveneous animal.  Besides being uncomfortable while sleeping, I'm feelin pretty good. Starting to feel like my old self again and hopefully after a couple more days I'll be good as new. If you're thinking about quitting, do it!  These pills control you're life and drain you're wallet!!!  Thank you to everyone on this forum for all you're words of wisdom and support.
Congratulations to you!  A great boost to your self esteem as well.
I been takeing paint meds for years after Bing sober for 8 years. Bad ankel two opperations still hurts at times. I Have been tryn to stop for a long time now. Im now takeing suboxone for withdrawal now they tell me that i Have to taper off of this to. I feel all of your pain i been figjting this for years. The only thing that ever helped me was going to 12 step meetings.  Like AA and others out there. I know that GOD can help with this. Aré a higher power. What ever Work for u. Good luck and GOD bless
My name is Angela and YES I am an ADDICT. I was prescribed opiate/narcotic painkillers for over 12 years. They were prescribed for a back problem and eventual surgery in 2004, but this was my crutch! I could have survived without them. On Saturday, Feb 19, 2011, I flushed over 200 30 mg tabs of oxycodone (each 30 was = to 6 percocets w/o tylenol) I also flushed over 100 oxcontin (40 mg) and over 50 tramadol (ultram) my hand did try to save one or two....but it was too late....that was the start to the road of recovery....I am THRILLED to report that I have been sober since then, Monday March 19th I will have 13 months of sobriety! However it was ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!
If you need help, or someone to speak to, don't hesitate!!!
Your friend ~AnGie
I have been in AA for almost 13 months...and THIS is the ONLY thing that helped me, I also took suboxone, I have Only ever needed one 8mg tab, and I am tapering off of this now too! Keep up the great work...remember two things 1. Yougottawannit and 2. ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!! ; )
ONE DAY AT A TIME......~Peace
Remember ONE DAY AT A TIME, I am in a 12 step program of recovery (I chose AA)! I have been sober from an opiate addiction for almost 13 months...If I could do it YOU can!! I was taking upwards of 15, 30 mg tabs, 90 mg at a time, and 40 mg tabs of oxycontin 4 times a day! I have been on an 8 mg tab of suboxone for 13 months and I am safely being tappered off 1mg at a time over 16 weeks. Usually after a year they do this 1mg a month, however I am on such a low dose to begin with, mine is 1mg every two weeks.
Good luck to you... and remember you are NOT alone!!!
I realize your post is old, but I have been where you are, You BOTH could get help from a suboxone clinic. Both my husband and I were addicted to perc 30's, and after suboxone he has been clean for 2 years, and I will have 13 months On Monday, March 19th!!!! To thine own self be true......don't wait for him to get sober first, YOU can get sober and show him the way!!! 12 step programs work miracles!!!! ~Peace  
Hi there, it has been 4 months since your post, and I hope you are well. I too, have been where you were four months ago, I planned my life around pills! And if the doctor didn't give me the script when I thought I needed them, I would go into "AnGie meltdown mode"!!! God bless you!! One day at a time! <3
Yes this post may be old but it still comes up at the top of the forum for all to see:) anyways you guys have givin me SOO much strength! I know I can do this!! Reading everyone elses stories helps. So I decided on Wednesday of this week that I need to stop I cannot live like this. Yes I have a medical reason to take hydrocodone but it Hallened right after having a baby and being on them so now my body NEEDS them. I was taking 4-5 a day a half at a time. Wednesday I was allowing myself 3 all day I took 2 1/2! Which my days are long because I have a 6 month old. Thursday my day of taking started at 230 that morning, I couldn't stop moving in bed so
I had to. I only consumed 2 3/4 yesterday and I was also allowing myself 3. Today will be trickier if I want to beat my "daily allowance" it is now down to 2 1/2 so hopefully I can only take 2 and taper myself more quickly! So far I am doIng good with only taking 1/4 of a pill. It relieves my restlessness. So I need lots of prayer in myife please that I can do this for my baby!! No body knows in my family and I cannot tell them. My fiancé works out of town all week so I am a single mother pretty much. It's very hard and life is stressful.
I do need as much encouragement as possible. Also a question from me tapering down to 1/2 for a few days does anyone think I will have horrible WD symptoms at the end? I am off for until the beginning of April and my taper last about 4 days before I go back
IM 48 years old and i tapered down then zeroed out.there is no quick fix but when the high anxiety comes use tiger balm on ur back it seem to help me im on day 5 and feeling better i used 10 a day 4 3 years.god bless to all and beat this beast with the help of our savior  just ask and mean it and he will deliver.take care all and well see u sober soon God Bless
I was hooked on oxycontin for years. I was snorting 4 80mg pills a day. This may sound like a very unusual way to get off but believe it or not I used methamphetamines to get off the opiates...it completely wipes out all your opiate withdrawals for as long as your on it...making the hard days go by with ease. After a week of use my opiate withdrawals were completely gone...I woke up with next day in fear of feeling the withdrawal symptoms come about but no cold chills, aches pains etc etc...nothing. However the one downfall to this is you may go from one drug to another...for me meth or uppers weren't my thing and I never grew a physical dependency to it. Didnt experience any kind of withdrawal from it either. Honestly I tried everything to get off opiates from methadone to suboxone...none of it worked because you would only go from one
Drug to the other then you would be hooked and experience the withdrawal symptoms from the other stuff...which is just as bad if not worse. Hopefully you all believe me when I tell you my success story as unusual as it sounds...but im 6 years clean and sober...off everything and I feel incredible.
hi,
i just want to say that i agree with you about wanting to talk to the doc but feeling as if you can't.  i have back pain and got addicted to hydro and for awhile it made me feel motivated yet calm and happy, at some point i started lying about how much my back hurt so i could get the same number of pills.  i finally went through cold turkey withdrawal back in October but i never told my doc the entire truth.  now a few months later, i've gotten hold of hydro and trams illigally and have gone through a few other withdrawals.  sometimes i want so badly to be able to go in and just talk to my doc about what's going on, that the pills make me happy and take away the physical and emotional pain and tell her i'm sorry i lied to her, but i don't feel like i can because then she wouldn't prescribe them at all.  for now, if i need them, i go each day to the pharmacy and the alotted amount for that day.  it works, except for the illegal stuff.  if not for that, then i wouldn't have gone through anymore withdrawals.  i have two kids and they know about my withdrawals but i don't want to do this to myself anymore--or them for that matter!  i want to get clean and stay clean but without the withdrawals!  

anyway, i know this was probably an older post, but i'm going through another withdrawal and find that reading these helps.  thanks for listening and i hope eveything is working out for you--be kind to yourself and don't judge yourself.  i certainly don't.  take care.
I'm new here and just read your post from a few months ago... way to go and many congratulations on getting off the opiates... I'm in day 3 of w/d and can't sleep from those danged 'crazy legs', so came online to see how long this w/d w/last... your comments really helped. Keep up the great work! Bless you and take good care, Gracie
My cold turkey experience was pretty horrible but it worked.  I always thought that if I could quit smoking I could do anything - I was right.  BUT be aware - there was, for me, a whole lot of uncontrolled vomiting.  My husband, bless his heart, came in to check on me about every 20 min. or so and I had nothing to vomit but I guess bile needed to come up - joking as it was horrible.  I had a few seizures I'm told but I survived.  I will say I "took this medicine as prescribed" as Warren Zevon says in his "I'll sleep when I'm dead" song but it can be done - I promise you.  My only remaining problem seems to be the big black hole in my life -my dear buddies here tell me it improves and I believe them.  I used to call oxy the apathy drug, it made me not care about so many things that needed doing.  Also, I didn't see myself as an addict, a middle class woman with successful children and spouse.  Daughter a teacher, son a Jr. in college but me who previously made my money as an artist had just quit.  I have had a few moments of inspiration and my torch is waiting for me to fire it up again.  I'll keep up with the community as it is helping me so much and will help anyone I can.  good luck to all getting ready to get off! Jan
ive never posted on any thing so unsure how to do this, im 35 with 4 girls and 3 granddaughters. i was using about 10 750s hydro's a day. it all started when i got a damaged back nerve and i couldnt find a doc to help me it only took a moth and i surly found one. she would give me any thing    i wanted as long as i kept my appointments.Every thing happen so fast from 2 a day to 10 a day felt like over night.i  got back injections and they really did help so i was lying to doc just for more pills. i have stoped using all on march 31,2012 ts only been like 10 days. after i realized i was hooked i begged my doc to take me off of them. he said NO WAY.so i found another doctor that gave me 8 meds clonidine also  stuff for restless legs and and stomach pllls. I knew i couldnt afford this doctor but he said he would see me with out paying now i owe him over 2000 doctors for that one detox visit.  still have alot of pills and really trying not to take unless i need them.
  I still feel horrible No energy legs are killng me and havent slept for more then 3 hours straight in over a week. yesterday i woke up great and said wow its finally over, well that was a lie and woke up today feeling bad again.
   I have a 6 month old 2 yr and 2 4 yr olds also a 12 yr old to take care of.  cant do it im over whelmed and my brain keeps telling me get yr meds you will be fine one wont hurt but i know one can kill me. im always trying to please everyone and im falling apart.
  nobody new how bad i was taking them i would run out then secretly go buy on streets i would always lie about how many i had. lie after lie. was spending about 20-30 a day and i feel horrible about all the stuff  did.
   the worst part im worried about now is my brain feels like it is being squeezed all the time i feel dizzy and cannot drive..  dont even know if that is from withdrawals or something else??  feel like im not even here like im in a house full of smoke. if any one can tell me if they have felt like that before id feel a little better.

I am on day 22 and did it basically same as you!
Did you have blurred vision and confusion?

yes i did, im getting alot better day 13 for me, my dizzyness and confusion comes and goes, yesterday i finely drove.Now i have a million things to do and afraid to drive again.
   I was to excited i slept threw the night i got PMs but i slept for 7 hours straight..im almost out of all the meds but ill be ok im getting better and better every day. i was so mad at every one cuz they lied to me and 3-4 days of withdrawals well they LIED. im still not even 50 percent better but im getting there. every day im prouder and prouder of my self. last night i was in alot of pain and once again my brain starts thinking ill feel better with just one pill. I was very strong. how are you felling on day 22? im realy curious i cant wait to get there.