Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?
I am a 40 yr old male and I have been taking 2-4 Vicodin a day for the past three years. A medical doctor prescribed it for me after it was discovered I suffered bone degeneration in my lower 2 disk vertebrea. At the time I thought little of taking a prescription painkiller. Now after my first 6 days of no longer taking Vicodin I am realizing how powerful of a substance it actually is. I'm having withdrawal symptoms I didn't expect. Light headedness, the runs, blood pressure going up, and general fatigue. Lots of fatigue. And some irritability. I am hoping that these symptoms begin to decrease soon. Well, they have gotten better than it was in the first 2 days. I am still wondering how long I can expect to have these side effects of withdrawal?
I have been on  norco 4/day for 8 years. sometimes the pain is sooo bad I have taken one every two hours. I desperately want it gone. I am more scared of the pain than the dependence. I recently got cortisone shots in both shoulders and thus pain relief. I only took one norco yesterday and 2 today, I have been sweating every night, from either the cortisone or the withdrawls. I want to be pain free. I don't know many days without pain. I hope this respite from pain lasts long enough to stop the pills. I am no hero and could not go thru much misery. I am 58 female and have fibromyalgia. I consider the last week a gift from God. I will take what I need to to function. But in my heart of hearts I want no pain, no pills.
i've been on norco, hydrocodone 7.5 and was taking too many a day for about 2 months, then this past week and a half tapperd down dramaticaly from 4 a day to 3 then 2 then to 1 5/500 mg yesturday monring and one this morning. I've been feeling the WD's pretty bad these past 3 days about, and today it doesnt feel like that one helped AT ALL! but so far the WD's have been diareha and chills/goosebumps sumthin powerful - but its workable, i WD from oxy at the end of this last year only a handfull of months ago.. so this WD now is dramatically better ( even though it *****!) the oxy took a good 2 1/2 months to get to the point where i could even leave the house,
this vicodin WD seems like its much more tolerable... like i dont even have to stay in bed, as long as mentally i keep telling myself that!
i reallly reallly realllllllly hope it doesnt get worse through the night!
you're right though, since i recently ( i'd never forget it) came off huge huge huge amounts of oxycontin - this WD seems MUCH more tolerable ( the oxy WD IS NOT TOLERABLE BELIEVE ME DOOOONT TAKE EM CUZ THE WD IS HELL)
i'm gunna try to keep on going though as though i'm not in WD from the vic's. i have too much to do so im HOPING i can actually do that - cuz the oxy WD was out-of-commision time -
now if i jsut get bad stomach and chills/goosebumps... well i suppose i can deal w/that and still function - i sure had to deal w/ that the last 3 weeks of the OXY wd anyways...

ugh -
I am a 20 yr. old female and I am in pain management.. I have severe, severe scoliosis which causes severe pain. I am on two 5-500 mg lortab pills a day, and three 100 mg neurontin a day. I am 2 weeks short on my pills cause I am now addicted to them. I have been taking up to 9 a day.. I am down to 1 and a half pills. Now I am having to come down off of the lortab for the next 2 weeks. I am one day in and its already getting bad.. I have no energy what so ever.. and I'm having severe insomnia, and restless leg syptoms.. I literally have no energy or get up and go about me.. I really need this medicine.. but I don't know how to control my addiction.. Lortab is the only pain med that works. They've tried me on everything and thats the only thing that helps. What should I do?? If they don't find the lortab in my system, they'll kick me out and say that I've been selling my pills.. How soon b4 my pain management opointment should i take the 1 and a half pill for it to be in my system?? What's so sad is that I NEED to be on strong pain killers, but the addiction gets outta control every time.. I'm lost and scared..
The original post is over 2.5 years old. You should start a new thread that is all your own...i.e. post a comment. You will get a lot more help this way. The people in the post you replied to are probably not here anymore....though there are some of us that have been around for a while.
I did send you a Private Message (PM) about your situation. We are in the same boat and you do have options.....Hyrodcodone isn't necessarily the best option-read the PM
Stay strong,
Greebs
First, you cannot do permanent damage from going cold turky. Simply is not true all you are doing is forcing up regulation of the opiate delta 2 and class c receptors at a faster rate hence the physiologic withdawls which is different then the pychological withdrawl. This homestatic readjustment is what causes withdrawls bc remember you have opiod receptors all over. Try not to inject unnecessary fear where not warrented. But it is true the intensity of the withdawls will be felt but physiologically there is no tissue damage/inflammatory response indicitive of tissue damage.
Today is my third full day without some type of pain killer.  I had a bad experience taking too much last week and was very light headed and disorinated...not to mention sick on my stomach.  After being on a minimal dose (or close to it) for the last God knows how many years....and paying out the a*, I have decided I'm very tired of this life style. I have experienced insomnia, leg restlessness, diareha, sever pain, anxiety and all the other normal symptoms, but at this point the worse was jaw pain.  I feel like I'm gonna make it at this point, but the first 2 days were awful.  NO ENERGY at all.  I was very concerned on the effects all the drugs were having on my body, especially my liver.  May I suggest, if you are contimplating quitting, take a few sick days and blame it on the flu.  Get something to make you sleep like an over the counter sleeping pill.  I am a professional person, and I have hid this for years.  I am tired of it and I will stop.  I've watched a family member slam these pill 5-7 at a time and I WILL NOT be like that.  I cant.  I have a family to provide for.  It must stop now!  And may I add that the pain that i have been taking this for seems to be some better at this point.....imaging that!
Well its day 1 , almost 24 hours now without anything. ive been through this before and it sucked but i did it by weening off of them. i was eating 12-16 a day, they were free why not right? this time i took 10 -3 days ago, 6 -2 days ago and 1.5 -yestreday. its been 24 hours with 0 right now. Not quite the weening off that we are told to do but im done!!!  im going cold turkey.. im must. i want to be free of this life that is not me. i been doing drugs for over 23 years straight. everything you imagine. this time i hired a coach, wrote down my reasons why i must quite this life and im not gonna look back. come hell or high water im not eating another pill. i flushed the rest yesterday. it cant be that bad and its going to be the best 5 days of cleansing in my life. These next 5 days will cleanse all the demons that have possesed me. Nothing in the next 5 days cane be worse than the years of internal hell that i have lived with. Please change your thoughts to the freedom that you are giving yourself , dont look back. Look forward at the future your are creating. You deserve it! we all do... i encourage you guys to write your reasons why you must do this, why you must stop today? is it because you will die? is it because you have ruined your relationships? how much better will life be when you are free? keep that though in your mind everyday and you will make it through. Feel the life you will have when you are free. What does your life look like when you are free, how is it differant? how much better is it? How much better are your relationships?  Write down your reasons and repeat your reasons out loud on why you must do this many times a day for encouragement. What worse, a few bad weeks of withdrawl or a life of hell and pain from not living up to what you can be? Just think of what life will be like when you are free? Thats what i have done... i have my reasons why and they are much more powerful than a a week of being sick. Im not trying to downplay anything but i though this board could use some encouragement.... You can do it, nothing is worse than living a life of guilt and internal pain like we have been doing.  I promise to repost at my 48 or 72 hour mark. You can do no matter what the pain may bring... bring it on.
Sounds like you have an awesome plan.  Stick with it buddy.  Best of luck to you and come back and talk to us.  I'm on day 6 and feeling so very much better.  We will be thinking about you and praying for you too!
I have been in and out of rehab a couple times and now that I can't afford it and my family will not pay AGAIN I am ready! So I was taking about 10 norcos a day 10/325 I am about 22 hrs clean I have tappered a little for 2 days. I have read and heard if you take a med thats for ADHD (Vyvanse) I got some I was told to take 2 30mg tablets a day for 5 days and I will be fine. As I said before I am almost 24hrs into this and I actually feel pretty good not great but ok. I have heard the first 24-48 hrs are the very worst is this true? I have always had medical detox so I never felt anything. I didnt want xanex or a benzo because I like them tooo much I really dont like the wired feeling at all hate uppers! This is just making me have a little energy and I think helping with mindset. So I guess what I am asking has anyone tried Vyvanse to detox and is it true if you make through the first 24-48 everyday after that gets better?
New here, I've taking 2-3 10/325 norco's consistently for about 6 months now. About to get married soon and the fiancee is gone for 7 more days. I figured I'd better kick this habit before it gets a hold of me anymore.
I'm on day two from quitting cold turkey and was wondering how long it will take to get a full night of sleep. These night sweats and sleepless nights are killing me. Any advice, besides exercise to help sleep at night.
FYI- The last two nights I've been up, I get online and read these posts, they help when you think about getting more
I'm new here as well.  I am on day three after everday for  2 years having tabs.  I usually take anywhere 6 - 10 depending on availability.  I work full time so I am having to tough it out.  I am drinking TONS of water.  I take 1 five hour energy drink in the morning and one around noon. I excercise on my lunch everyday.  At night I'm taking tylenol pm.   I don't get as much sleep as I should but I am able to get through the day suprisingly well.  Hope any of this well help you or anyone else.  Good Luck!
To all that are suffering from withdrawals, it gets better, much better!

For three years straight I have taken 6 10Mg Vicodins a day, 180 pills per month.  I have severe chronic back pain from an accident in my late teens, now I am 35.  I found some alternative medicine that really is helping my back condition, may not be for everyone, but hey it is working for me.  I went from 60mgs a day (3 years), to 30mg/per day for 10 days, then 20mg/per day for 2 days, then just one 5mg pill yesterday.  It has been really hard!  But, my encouragement for all is that it does get better very soon, usually 3 days and the symptoms start to go away.  I feel like I am full of cement and can barely move, no energy, cant sleep, all the normal stuff that happens in WD.  I was at one time given Oxy and I elected to go cold turkey.  This is a very bad idea and please don't ever try OXY by going cold turkey, it is worse than just about anything you can think of.  In my experience, energy starts to climb back to normal by day four and sleep resumes to somewhat normal.  I do recommend taking time off from work if you cant do the detox program at a hospital.  It does get better.  I have found that Valium is wonderful (small dose) to take in those first few days, it really helps with sleep and the anxiety that can happen.  But, be careful because it is yet another drug.  I had acupuncture performed today and well I don't know if works or not, but I am trying it all.  Good luck to all my fellow WD sufferers.  It does get better, just hang in there, and do talk to your doctor if it gets super bad, they are ready to help and I have found that they don't judge.  You aren't a junky, an addict, or any other negative stereotype that is out there, you are person that is dealing with a powerful med.  Many Blessings.
I liked your comment, especially knowing it was created just one hour ago. I want to ask, how many days are you off of the meds? Do you still get depression? I've tried many times trying to quit but keep going back because of depression. My family is away on vacation for two weeks and they have no clue what's going on. I was hoping to finally kick the habit while they're gone but I'm almost sure I'll go through WD's when they come back. The only thing I worry about is the depression around my son and becoming irrated about everything.
i am 47 yr old female going thru cold turkey detox, at home i have been taking 10/650 lortab for 10 years saturday night i just decided i cant live like this anymore. I thought i was really sick, and in pain until i realized i was taking the meds if i needed them or not. well i am on day 2 of wd, i have always been afraid of wd.  I think the pills are worse tham the wd. i will just keep praying
Well, a bit of background. Abused everything I could get my hands for the past 30 years on and off. Most of that time was illegal stuff without major physical addiction and could stop for days, weeks, and even months at a time with maybe a little irritation (pot, psychedlics). Had a year bout with Meth 15 years ago that I kicked cold turkey and just slept for 3-4 days and was fine. For the past 10 yrs, been taking Vicoden, Hydrocodone 7.5 (main one), Norco, and the rare MS Contin (Morphine), Oxycontin, and Dilaudid. Have a prescription and take them for frequent migraines - but the doc gives me between 90-120 a month for migraines that I get 2-4 times a month, go figure. I didn't complain! I'd run out after about 3 weeks, you can do the math. I have family members with access to other prescription opiates to tie me over until I can get my meds refilled. I've quit in the past for short periods of time, from a week or two to even a month (was feeling great and started back, need a face palm icon). I haven't abused illegal drugs really for the past 15 years at all. Don't really have a desire for that kind of high. In fact, I have no desire for any kind of high. Through all of that, I earned a college degree, was successful in my business pursuits (very successful in fact), have a great family, career, church life, and a bright future ahead. I am probably the most functional addict that you would ever meet and besides my wife and a couple of family members, nobody even knows. So fast forward to NOW. I knew that quitting was needed, I'm not young anymore (mid 40s), my career is moving to the next level, and my desire for opiates was starting grow. I ran out of my last prescription (90 pills) after 2 weeks. I cut down to a couple of pills for 2 days last week and have been cold turkey since last Wed. at around 3pm when I took a half. It's now Sunday night. I know what to expect. I usually have the hardest time during the night and can't sleep which compounds things during the day. I have prescription to Ambien (I have insomnia a few times a year and don't abuse it) and have been taking a half tablet at night and that does help me sleep and avoid that discomfort. Let's just say that I've felt like I've had the light flu but it is hay fever season and that is also affecting me. First day way was tough but manageable. Second day was better. Third day was not bad at all, in fact thought I might have gotten off easy. Fourth day,today - this has been awful. Massive headache (not a migraine either), leg cramps, the runs, cloudy head - usual w/d symptoms. I was able to take a nap but woke up feeling worse! Had the thought of taking a small dose of something that is available, but decided to not even go there! Day 5 is tomorrow of course, hoping it will be better. I've never felt so determined to stop all of this nonsense after years and years of it. Feeling really irritated right now and my head  is pounding. It's almost 10pm, I skipped the Ambien last night (slept a little), will take a half tonight. I was looking up Vicoden W/D symptoms (again) and ran across this board. By the way, I came here to really just get my thoughts out, read other people's experiences. I did see some incorrect medical information provided in this forum (I'm no doctor) but have read enough about opiate WD, have been in rehab when younger a couple of times, and I have a friend who is a pain management specialist (very responsible and is not my doc) who does not know of my use but we've had many conversations on the topic, and I know these so called facts to be incorrect. Go to your doctor for proper medical advice. Wish me look, I'll try to check in if I don't get too busy.
There is no one on  this forum that are doctor nor do we claim to be . I am glad you are enjoying reading others experiences .Pretty soon you will be over the worst off the physical of course the physical is the easy part seen as you have been threw this a few times you know the importance of aftercare what do you have lined  up.. Getting clean is the easy part staying clean is the hard part ..Good luck.
avis
Well, day six - so far so good but not easy. The days are not bad because I'm so busy, the evenings and night are TOUGH. Its about 6:30PM now and this afternoon was a little tough and seems to be getting tougher. Last night was brutal, couldn't sleep at all - leg/bone aches/restlessness), I'm sure the lack of sleep isn't helping today. I don't drink alcohol at all (kind of funny, never liked it), so no minor relief from that like I've heard some people do, but to me that is subbing one thing for another. Tomorrow will be a solid week, hopefully I'll start feeling better in a day or two.
hello.  Have you tried an OTC sleeping aid?  They really helped me after a week of w/ds.  I never abused them and dropping them after 3 months was pretty easy..no major withdrawal.  Took about a day to get to sleep again without anything, but I take benadryl for allergies so that may help me sleep at night also.
Are you taking any vitamins?  or some Hylands Restful Legs is soo good for the twichy legs and restlessness.  Take a hot bath too.  Very helpful to stop the leg problem, plus it will help you sleep if you do it about an hour before bed.  You seem to be doing great, hang in there and good luck to you!  God bless, keep posting.  I have to go cook dinner now, c  everyone tomorrow morning :)  Have a blessed evening...the cheerleader (lol)...
I haven't tried any OTC sleeping aids other than Benedryl, which I do take at night sometimes for my severe allergies. Doesn't help me sleep at the moment at all (I did take one last night in fact). Usually they wipe me out and I don't ever take them during the day. This evening was rough and I had work to do, so my wife dug out a really old bottle of alcohol that was buried in the back of the pantry and made me one drink (remember, I hate alcohol and this was some pricey whiskey that we've had for probably over 10 yrs, she doesn't drink either), it tasted horrible but I must admit after forcing a drink down (mixed with cola) it did help. Wasn't much, didn't really feel it like in a buzz but it relieved the cloudiness and some of the leg pain and let me focus on getting some work done. That was several hours ago and has well worn off. I took about a third of an Ambien a few minutes ago (waited so there would be no mixing with alcohol), that should help me sleep. I am starting a vitamin program in the morning, we went through what we had, read a few web sites on what would help and figured out what I need to take. She takes a lot of homeopathic stuff, so we have vitamins, minerals, amino acids, herbs, etc. on hand. I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment though! I love being able to go to the family calendar in the kitchen and put an small x on it to indicate another successful day. 6 x's on their now!