Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vicodin withdrawal symptoms...how long?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
Thank you all for sharing! I've been reading all the posts and feel like I'm not alone. Have been taking more & more & more vics over 12 years (10 surgeries) and realized I took 40 something 10's the other day (typical if they're around!). Have spent every penny on pills & just cant do this any more. Today is day 3 & i am exhausted, as well as having all the normal wd stuff. Had to work yesterday & today, and fell asleep w/ my head on my desk for an hour!! If I can crawl to the store tomorrow I'll try to get some of the suggested vitamins, etc.
I've been on and off prescribed vics and percs for 5+ years. 28 year old male. I've quit cold turkey 3 times throughout the years. I just did my fourth. Everyone here makes good points as we all go through the same thing. You've gotta want to stop if you are going to get through this. A few pointers from someone that knows what going cold turkey is like every time I do it ....

1.) Day 2-4 are usually the worst. After day 4, symptoms usually start fading away and day by day, mind and body starts feeling better.

2.) Vicodin withdrawls are the lightest. Perc, oxy and benzo(xanax) are MUCH worse. My benzo withdrawl (withdrawal) was INSANE ... PLEASE Stay away from benzos if you can. Those things are nuts. My 2nd cold turkey withdrawl (withdrawal) was from percocet and xanax. I stopped both cold turkey. This may have been the craziest experience of my life. PLEASE do not get yourself in that type of situation. I wouldn't want my worst enemy to go through that.

3.) Take AT LEAST a multivitamin. I take 12 vitamins in total. You're body is going through a lot and you usually don't eat much through the withdrawl (withdrawal) phase. Keep your body fueled up as much as you can.

4.) WATER WATER WATER. I know it's hard to swallow it sometimes but you gotta stay hydrated. You're on the toliet 30 times a day. Make sure you replenish your water supply. This helps you flush out your system faster and only lessens the time you're feeling like crap.

5.) Depression may set in pretty hard going through this. Try to keep your mind on other things and not to think too much. Watch lots of movies. Talk to friends. GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! I've heard others say smoking pot helps, masterbation (masturbation) helps, drinking helps. For me ... staying active and working out as much as I can helps the most. Go on lots of walks. I was up to walking a couple miles 3 to 4 times a day during my withdrawls.

6.) I wouldn't suggest getting active immediately, however, I usually start small walks on day 3 and by day 7, I'm trying to jog, lift light weights and get back into shape. Staying active, drinking water and taking vitamins will force your body into recovery mode. THE SOONER YOU GET YOUR BUTT MOVING, THE BETTER YOU'LL FEEL.

Everytime I go cold turkey, I stop for roughly a year. In that year that I'm not taking these pills, I'm smarter, wiser, emotionally great and in great physical shape. Some of the best accomplishments in my life have happened when I was off off these pills, working out on a regular basis and feeling great.

When I start taking them again, I start slow, on a low dose. Sooner or later, the body builds that tolerance and you're taking more and more. This is when your mind starts getting affected and although you don't see it right away, you're on the road to problems. As I took more, I became more of an aggitated, angry person. My personal relationships go bad and my work performance goes down the tubes.

I have a bad back from a motorcycle accident and car accident. Do these pills help with the pain? Yes. Is the pain bad enough for me to live this crazy life and take them daily? Well, that's what I struggle with. That's why I go in and out with taking these.

I'm now 8 days clean and my withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are gone. I've lost a good 15 pounds and I'm now working on building my body stregnth back up. At least two walks/jogs a day and lifting light weights.

You can get through the WD symptoms. How many of us here have said we've done it? How many of us here have said that they are better without these drugs? How many have said it's not worth the trouble? We're not making this **** up.

Deal with the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms and get your mind right. You'll feel amazing once you accomplish it.

-jk
clean for the 4th time. will i start taking them again in 6 months to a year? that's what my track record shows. meanwhile, i'll be in the best physical shape of my life ... my personal relationships will be better than ever and my MIND WILL BE RIGHT.

Stay strong out there.
I'm a 30yr old mother of two who found myself addicted to opiates. For 4 months I struggled with it and it consumed me. Up until last week I was taking almost 100 10mg pills a day. Tomorrow I start with the Soboxene program and am very optimistic that it will help. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or advice that may help?
Start a new post/thread.this is very old and most are not gonna go through4yrs of posts so u wont get responses
I hear ya on the perc and benzo withdrawls. A year and a half ago I was on perc (2-5mg) and 10mg valium and ended up pregnant. My OB took me off both cold turkey and it was absolute HELL!!! I was in WD and pregnant about to kill myself or get heroin just to get better. It lasted the whole pregnancy but like a switch it stopped right when I had my perfectly healthy baby boy. It was worth it! Now a year later im still having my back pain and taking vic 10/325 every 4 hrs for pain. Im out right now and was feeling really sick and HURTING. Been taking 1/2 of a 5mg here and there for a few days. Not anywhere near as bad as last time! Reading others stories really helps
I have been described vicodin for about 5 yrs now. The past year of my life has changed alot. Ive know for awhile that I was abusing my script, but refused to admit it. I strongly believe it is mind over matter. If I only would have know this would have happened. Ive realized I need to help myself, that I have been living a lie. Last Friday I cried my eyes out as I told my fiancee that i was addicted to pain meds. He is being very supportive, but doesnt understand, my plan is to cut waaaaay down and slowly ween myself down and away from vicidin. I was using anywhere from 5-12 pills a day and most days it was on the high end of that. Any suggestions or home remedies would be greatly appreciated! Thx
Hi SJBG, I read your July 15th post and wanted to reply. My name is Sarah. I work with mental illness and addiction, and have been addicted to vicodin myself. I would suggest creating a plan collaboratively with him. I would suggest staggering the doses (at alternative times and days) lowering them overall over dose over weeks so that he doesn't suffer so severely that he quits trying. I would definitely include excellent/over the top rewards for small milestones (or steps in progress). The rewards need to be compelling. Selecting reward can be *very* hard given his uncomfortablility (e.g. pain and withdrawal and pressure to quit) and the pleasure of the medicine (both the anelgesic & euphoric effects). It may be hard to work in & expensive but it is short term. You two should also develop distress tolerance techniques for really hard times when he wants to give in; these normally wiht involve some sensory focused distraction- gourmet food, sex, massage, mindfully focusing feeling the water while showering, guided imagery audio recording, etc. It may sound silly but these are evidence based approaches for getting through very tough times without acting in a way that will make them worse. Finally, I would create a list of "triggers"- things or times of day whereas he tends to use medicine to alter the experience (e.g. pain, stress, boredom, etc) and ways to cope with these moments (e.g. acceptance strategies, distraction (video games or whatever works), additional distress tolerance strategies, etc). Again, having the staggering schedule will help him get through. He could also set guidelines that he can *only* take meds on the odd hours.[This is a strategy some use to quit smoking] We can sometimes use will power to get through if we know that we only have to tough it out for x amount of minutes. In addition, when it is time to take meds and he doesn't or takes a reduced dose, .. he can get a reward. I'd only do this if he couldn't do it with pure will and determination alone. If he is really struggling, perhaps at first he can "bank" the meds not take for later" as a get out of jail free pass when he is really suffering. Later in his plan though, after he's suffered some of the withdrawal symptoms and therefore they are less severly and easier to cope with, he needs to removed these pass.[I'd literally make a concrete calendar marking doses/days, strategies, milestone, etc] Again, he should plan ahead the day. For instance on day 19, no more banking or saving meds. The plan is nonnegotiable even though his addicted mind will try to negotiate like the devil. Finally I suggest that he sees a therapy and that you support him but also give him ALOT of space. He will be very crabby and irritable and will not be good company. He'll be better off managing on his own. You two are likely to fight. He'll be using all his resources to get through the days and will not have much left to be skillful interpersonally. I would not advise telling him what to do, harping on him, .. You can remind him of his plan & his commitment to himself- but do not do this often. Leave room for "failure". It will be steps forward and back until he gets through the gauntlet. He may not be able to stick to the plan perfectly. Please be forgiving with him. Remind yourself that his mood is temporary and that your relationship will get better. You can also give him "if-then" reminders. "If you take that pill now, your withdrawal symptoms will last longer; however, if you can distract & avoid taking it, you'll feel better sooner". When saying things like this, be neutral. You are not judging or commanding.  You are reminding him of his higher goals. You are simply tagging behavior and consequences in a nonjudgmental way. Being nonjudgmental (and kind/loving) is crucial. If he sense judgment he can get depressed or angry which can led to undesirab;e fighting. **Always asking permission to give feedback**For examle, "can I give you some feeback?" or "can I give you a reminder?" or "would you like my opinion or thoughts on the matter?".  In fact you can discuss it ahead of time so your feedback is know to be part of a collaboration (e.g. can or should I remind you of xzs when you are going to xzd?). I would advise that you to consider therapy as well. And lastly, remember that he may not be as ready to quit as you are ready for him to quit. He has to make the decisions. If he contiues to use, it will have consequences- perhaps even severe ones (e.g. the end of the marriage); however, we can only lead a horse to water.  Best of luck to you both. It is ridduculously hard to kick a narcotic addiction but not impossible if you are both willing and commitment to one another. Keep in mind, that not all relationship survive addictions and you are not alone. There are support groups to help you. We all do the best we can given the circumstance in every given moment. We all have our own personal demons to fight & sometimes we need to do it on our own. Best, Sarah PS- I am not trying to be a know it all. I am just trying to give you some advice regarding what I have found to be helpful for myself and others.There is no perfect plan or fail proof strategy. I can't describe just how hard it is to manage being addicted to one or multiple substances. No one  starts off with the goal of an addiction. Typically you are trying to feel better (emotionally and physically) and are often desperate to be free of pain. Props to everyone trying so hard for a better life and increased wellbeing. You are not alone.
Vicodin Withdrawals

OK  I finally checked this thread, after my daughter suggested I might be having withdrawals  I started using vicodin 4 years ago after breaking both my arms, then baractric surgery., then back surgery.  As I've read in the comments, I started running out before the ins. would pay for the refills--then the pharmacist said something--I thought the Dr. had made a mistake in the dosage. I started writing it down and discovered it was my error.  Well, everytime I ran out early, I started having flu-like symptoms, muscle aches, yawning, runny nose, fatigue---I now realize it's withdrawal symptoms--but I'm not ready to go there yet, so I've decided I'm going to cut the dosage in half and see if that helps--if not, I'll talk to my Dr. about it.  And this comes from someone who in the past never liked to take medication for anything.  Things change when it feels good.
Ive been reading your guys posts and i have came to realization that i have a severe problem im 25 years old and for about a month now ive been taking 20 yellow norcos at a time i know it sounds absurd but its the truth..it all started about 3 years ago with my ex girlfriend i used em for sex cuz they were like viagra but gave you that high feeling too back then i only popped 2 dunno how the number i consumed got so high..i am now on day 3 of sobriety and am really serious about quitting but im trying to be a man and quit cold turkey is this safe?? if i could quit cigs i could quit norcos..i can go some days without popping but once my connect calls me i get this urge like i have to get them so i am going to change my number and delete all my connects number (i have alot since i live in cali) i was a late bloomer and didn't even start smoking weed until after high school in 2003 now i smoke everyday but marijuana has always been overlooked in my family but i truly believe it is a gateway drug because eventually you get bored and wanna experience a different type of high..someone please give me some advice that has been in the same position as me..i have been getting these severe leg cramps in my legs like i cant stretch em out or im not getting circulation to my legs or something?? whatever the case may be i dont want to go to a doctor because im scared to see the damage that has been done..thank you for reading my post and please help me get thru this..sincerely Sean (Fairfield, California)
i am also addicted to norcos and have been for about 6yrs. i have finally decided i'm tired of living this life and i want to remember how the sober life felt. i took pills just for the high nothing else. i had no injuries or anything of that kind. i just enjoyed them PERIOD. i tried quitting cold turkey 1 time and that was enough for me to say HELL NO, that was awful. i was so sick it felt like the flu 10x. i get them given to me (not prescribed either) and also find myself sneaking behind hubbys back and buying them. i'm so tired of it that it makes me depressed to know that my kids, hubby, family and friends dont deserve this. starting tomorrow i'm weining down, out of the the info i've read up on this and from what others have told me thats probably the safest way. i dont take 20 a day or anything like that but if i had that many i'm certain i would..i take about 10 sometimes more..maybe not sound like alot to many addicts but its enough to where im feeling its starting to take its toll on my body and my family and when i tried stopping cold turkey i was extremely sick.. if anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated to tell me ..all i know is pills make me happy (i'm a depressed person) , energetic, function on a daily basis..ppl tell me that i will feel better than i ever have once i am totally off of these...is this true?...wish me luck cuz i'm going to need it...its a hard addiction..and to anyone who just started taking these..plz stop before you get to where you need them to stop from getting sick and u depend on them daily
so your saying if i quit cold turkey it isnt safe? ive quit for a little while before but always relapse and i dont get them prescribed either its a very expensive habit..im sick of it and just wanna stop cold turkey i heard its the fastest way to get off em i want my life back cuz i feel the pills have completely changed me as a person towards my family loved one everyone..the only symptom i have had so far are severe leg cramps..is this just the beginning?
i was taking viks 4 about 4yrs and finally decided 2 get me back. i found this stuff online called withdrawal-ease. it works great!! 7 days in now and alls i feel is just a lack of motovation. but its def. affordable. and i recommend it to every1 feeling like crap. good luck!!!! :) smile!!
I have been on Vicodin for over 2 years due to 2 surgeries that were very close together. Hearing people being addicted to this medicine made me always conscience that it could indeed happen to me. Knowing when I should take them and when not to help me be aware of what was going on in my body. I made a decision to only take them when the pain wouldn't go away with Advil or Tylenol. I'm not going to lie to you it was hard weaning myself off them. The restless legs were terrible along with my horrible mood. Here's what I did. My doctor found it amusing. Instead of taking a half or whole pill I nibbled on a tablet like a stingy starving person that was given a cracker. I waited until the legs kicked in then just barely nibbled a pill and the effects went away. this process did take some time. I am now 2 weeks clean and I feel better? My legs only shake a little my mood seams slightly better however I'm still depressed but can manage to get free from this house. Its scarey to think that something you have to have can mess up everything in your world if your not careful with it. Respect the drug and wean slowly .  Good luck..... it's not easy but it can be done.
I have been on vicodin for 5 years now and I have pain but it is harder to distinguish what is really the pain and what is the pill in my system. I also feel that I detox if I don't take it every 4-6 hours, except at night. If I take one then I can usually sleep through the night. I had to ween myself to get back to that point though.  I  have a child as well so I have to maintain my consistent attitude of calm and collected. I've been on it so long my body is dependent now, as it of course would be. I have always taken it for pain but my body is very used to it at this point.
I feel it is a slippery slope and I don't see it getting better. Sometimes I cut down and start to feel better, then I have a flare up. I am concerned to talk to my pain doctor as I don't want to break the relationship. Since there has been so much illegal activity concerning this drug a lot of pain management places have very strict policies now that  I feel in a way hinder you from talking openly to health care professionals. It is sad this has happened as there are people like me who really need it. I don't have insurance right now and haven't for about 3 years as they but a rider on my neck and back. However my husband just got a job with wonderful insurance that kicks in , in about 90 days. Wondering what the future holds.
What are your thoughts?

well.....Ive been clean since my last posts and I feel like a new man........I have miore aches and pains now, but ****, that aint nothing anymore........Im proof that u can stop :)
I've been taking vicaprofin for the last 3 1/2 years, i always took more than i should. I was taking 7.5 mil. Up to sometimes 9 or 10. The last few months i slowed way down and started taking 4 to 5. I'm on my sixth day off of them and still not feeling well. My digestive system is all messed up. My stomach bloats up every time i eat, i'm getting hot all the time, my body feels so out of whack. Still only sleeping 4 to 5 hours. I have no energy for nothing. I pray everyday that i'll feel better,  but i wake up the same way. Please someone tell me this will go away. I keep thinking there is something else wrong with me. How long, i feel so depressed!
what can i do to ease the withdrawl (withdrawal) of pain killers
u now of suboxonw?
i mean suboxone
i m trying to kick suboxone i have been off it for 60 hours, and i feel like i m dieing. i have to take 2mgs or i m not going to make it
Thank you for the words and sharring. I am now 6 weeks off hydrodone, and the slow thinking and getting exhausted too fast but still can't sleep at all are still strong. I have not gone back yet, but it's in my head all the time. Anything left to do? Thanks.
34 y.o. male. Been popping vicoprofen for 14 years. Started up to 15 a day and a few years ago transitioned to 6 a day (having first cut down to 8). Reducing isn't so hard in my opinion (first 3 days: hell, next 3 days: much better, after 2 weeks: you won).

In 3 days, for the first time in 14 years, I will have no more pills to take. I live in Europe and the addiction is something I brought back from the US as I was a student there. My US doctor is a friend and continued to mail me the pills to Europe until now. We had a serious argument, he won't send anymore. So I now Hell's awaiting me. With a big devilish smile on its face.

I'm a university professor. Very normal guy. My addiction is known to nobody around me. The problem is: in 8 days I'm flying out to the US for a 2-week long conference, extremely important for my career. I realize I'm not going to be able to make it.

I don't know if I should wait until I have no more vicos (i.e. on sunday) to go cold turkey, i.e. 4 days before my overseas trip, or go cold turkey tomorrow and give myself a longer time before the trip.

I'm frigging desperate. To boot, I now work in Germany (which is not my home country) and I have nobody to talk to about this here. I'm a great pretender, so it will be very hard for me to admit I'm not doing well. But I don't think I'll be strong enough to stop the VP under such straining conditions.

I could cancel my trip altogether, but that would amount to ruining my career as the meeting I'm supposed to attend is a large international gathering and I'm one of the keynote speakers. Can you imagine that? If only these people knew who I really was, they probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with me anymore.

I'm such a proud guy, I'm afraid if I can't sustain the dishonoring task of canceling my presentation, I will take my own life rather than confess to being, plain and simple, a drug addict. A coward one with a good job, a great poser, but in the end, a pill popper.  
This is an old thread brother. There will be a lot of support for you on this site - maybe copy and paste your post onto a new thread - All the best and you will get through this...
...for too long, the withdrawal off Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) or Subutex (buprenorphine) is worse then pain killers. I was sick for 2 wks coming off of subutex, i am still not right in the head after 6 months, now have some sort of unexplained vision problems. Suboxone & Subutex has not been tested for long term use, i took it for 2 yrs. But i must say it is the only thing that kept me off norco. It is an opiate blocker and can become very addicting. Below is how I've gotten off pain killer/opiates/subutex as painless as possible.....

1) Clonidine - Blood pressure medication (taken only for a short period of time, do not abuse) helps with not feeling the withdrawal as much (PRESCRIPTION NEEDED)
2) Neurontin (Gabapentin) - Helps with nerve pain (PRESCRIPTION NEEDED)
3) Trazadone 100mg -Take nightly to help with insomnia (PRESCRIPTION NEEDED)
4) St. John's Wart - Take 3 times a day to help with depression, can take for months if needed (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
5) Motherwort - Take 3 times a day with St. John's Wart works great when combined -for depression (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
6) Kava Kava - Helps with anxiety, can take at any time of day, can make you a little sleepy if take to much. (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
7) Vitamin B6 - Helps calm the mind, take to help with the mind tricks your mind can play on you, when your mind cannot rest. Can take 3x a day. (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
8) 5HTP - helps control insomnia, mood (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE
9) Adrenal Support - Helps with fatigue, energy level balance - Take in AM, and no later then 1pm, gives you energy. I take Liquid ADRENIX manufactured by Innovita. Trust me out of all of the products I've recommended this one is important. Taking pain killers shoots out your adrenal glands. (BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)
10) Ginkgo - Improves short term memory and energy levels.(BUY AT HEALTH FOOD STORE)

I know it sounds like a lot, but i have done this so many times with all types of opiates. If you are thinking about quitting give the above herbs/prescriptions a try, it all helps to make the transition an easier one. It will NOT take the pain away completely, but boy it sure helps and makes it as painless as possible. Do not try with nothing, it's just so painful & you don't need to. I feel for everyone and good luck. If you have any questions please let me know.

-F-
I know how you feel, It is the worst thing i had ever gone through in my life, help is here...if you can get the below...it works and drink lots of water. It will get better soon just hang in there :) Good luck and stay strong.

I agree with F71 - all those suggestions are good ones.
I read your story, and im currently going through the same thing. I was on "norco" aka Vicidon for a good 5-6 months, due to bad kidney stones, and undergoing surgery. I too, ran out. What made me decide to stop all together, my 2 year old daughter. Im on day 4 of being off of them. The past 3 days have been hell, not sleeping, not really eating, diahrrea, cold sweats, hot flashes, yawning, ect. I just try to keep myself busy with my daughter, and cleaning the house. So far today I have been feeling about 50% better. So im hoping another day or two I will be back to normal. Good luck to you, and all, we are not alone.

-someone..
just stopped vic. on wednesday, ache all over and can't sleep. so restless can't stand it.
I've been taking them for 2 1/2 years for my back, now my back is killing me again.
I'm trying to not get another prescription filled, but might have to.
Can't stand this....
theres a program called the suboxine program that helps your withdrawls undercontroll so you can get through this. i also have a problem an it feals endless and hopeless i canot be on the program becouse i have a goverment insurance. you can do this never stop given up babe. when you do get clean the sun will come out in your soal and the hand cuffs will be offf keep giong foward
This helps
My man and I are both hooked on vikes, long story short, for years.
Both get RX's and we have ways to get them (VERY EXPENSIVE AND SICKENING)
He deals better than me emotionally when without
I physically and emotionally am a wreck without them
He takes them less then me (up to 15 a day?)
I have taken 25 10mg in less then a day
NEED US TO BOTH QUIT!
I would attempt it but I know he gets his refill soon. I thought of selling mine or at least hiding mine till I could get rid of them. Point is, I want him to quit also!
I am having high stress and anxiety and take xanax to help the w/d symptoms.
Am so broke I cant afford vitamins to help the side effects.
Vicodin are like an antidepressant for me, most times, although lately ive noticed myself more angry.
They DRAINED MY BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They made me into an awful person, accusing him of having more...
Here is another issue, without saying too much about me...
I was deployed and have some type of combat stress and ptsd from watching my family member die in front of me at the hospital and lost it, LOST IT!
Those help me cope with the stress and flashbacks, I did not witness luckily combat trauma, but the things I went through nearly broke me.
I WANT TO CHANGE, but when I take them it makes me feel like I can do anything and im a friendly social person who people like.
This is an old post.  Go to the top of this page and click on post a question.  There are many people here that would love to help you.  I think you and your man both need to quit.  As long as he has them in the house you will not be able to stop.  I will look for your post.
I did exactly the same thing. I erased all of my numbers in my phone that had any link to pills. But It wasn't good enough, I eventually started up again. I am down to two specs a day. But I'll taky oxys or hydros it doesn't matter I don't think. But I take 2 either 7.5 or 10mg per day one in the morning and one in the late afternoon like 4 or 5pm. Then I take cyclobenzaprine one 10mg @ night. This system helps for me. The older you get the more your sexual appitite will settle. But then again everyone is different. I just think it may be dangerous to mix pills with love. Take care I hope this helps a little.

And Im not saying what Im doing is right ok. Everyone should get off of them. But when your in pain what other relief is there? I bought a Tens machine on ebay it helps but its not the answer to my prayers.

I just wanted to aks you if it really does get better? I've been taking Vicodin 10mg 8 - 12 a day for a year for my arthritis and degenerative disc disease.  I'm 29 years old and DO NOT want to be on these for the rest of my life! I tries stopping a couple of times but the twitches in my body and the 'RESTLESS EVERYTHING" syndrome made me keep taking them.  I'm scared to do this but I know it's for the best.  Please tell me what I should do or how to ease the restless part. I can't stand that!
I havd good and bad news if you go cold turky then you with have some wd ****$ and shakes! Lests face it, we are are all here because we ate the pill, banged the dogfood,no one put agun to my head! and dont tell me about your pain i have 4 screws in my right leg, one in my knee , a pin in my thumb and t5- to s1 are wired nine and tigh.  thats the bad news good news getting off the oyxes was the best thing i can do. 3 days you will 70% better  if you want off then get off Pick your self and drive on I t all in you head, the fear of the dt monster, its no worse than the flu! dont go the suboxin or metjadone route you geetin addicted to a new drug. firFor Gods sake dont involve bnzos itslike haveinf the opi. 50 lb monkey on your back but has now gained 400 lbs good luck wish you much success!
Really glad to hear you are doing well; hope you made it through ok
liked your testament and was shocked about the Indian comment
that is terrible that they can get away with that  type of disregard
for people 'SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT  SUCH IMMUNITY
FROM THE LAW"................Anyway that's another story!
  Hang In There and Good Luck To You
                                                  KP
Pleeeeze try very hard to get past this situation you are in !
  100 10's is an astonishing amount. You are very very lucky
to be alive! God Bless and Keep you
I've gone 24 hours without a vicodin. Thats the longest I've gone without one for almost 3 1/2 years.I was taking 3-4 x750's a day. I decided to try cold turkey. I went cold turkey with cigarettes just about 2 years ago, and I was fine. But, when I did that I had the vicodin to help me through it. All day all I've thought about was the vicodin. I still have about 75 pills, but I dont want to get rid of them. I really dont know why, since I dont plan on taking them. I thinks its because I feel its like looking the monster in the face and saying, "I'm gonna beat you". I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I've never experienced withdrawal. I have sleeping pills, that I got from my doctor because I have trouble staying. asleep. Is it bad to take them while trying to quit vicodin? I'm really glad I found this group. I think this is going to play a huge part in helping me quit!
Sean,
Being a man has nothing to do with it; before you're a man you are a human.
You can get through and I doubt you have harmed yourself to any great extent.
Just take it a day at a time and be very patient  with yourself.
                                             Good Luck and God Bless
I am on vicodine and have been for about 10 years. It started with a couple a day and now I am up to 6 a day. I am really really scared to come off of them due to my back pain. I can't stand being on them anymore but I also can't handle the back pain. I want to try. I"m worried because my doctor has no idea that I take so many. I just rescently had single by-pass surgery and scared that I will have a heart attack if I come off them. I have high blood pressure as well. I want to tell my pain magmt doctor but I"m afraid He will turn me in or something. I want to turn 50 vicodine free. I hate thinking of them all the time. I sweat all the time, eat a lot, down a lot but they do give me energy for some reason. Anyone know why?
I'm in hell right now.

I ran out of my scrip = 10/500 Watson 540's (IMO... the best, cleanest, most effective Hydrocodone/Apap out there.

I had been out 2 days and bummed a few 5/500 from a friend.

I decided to see the doctor.

Getting out of the shower, I realized I was running late.

I got lost.  I got there 1/2 hour late waning to burst into tears but held them inside my 47 yr old man body.

I was already strung out and feeling WD pangs.

The clerk suggested rescheduling my appointment.

But my MEEEEEDS%$#@!

Does she not get that I NEED my opiates?

I stormed out of there bashing through glass doors, kicking at a newspaper and jamming my foot into the concrete, something my medicated self would never feel but my withdrawal self felt instantly and I can still feel.

I see lots of folks on these boards asking if they only take 1or 2 or 3 pills a day if they're still an addict....

I have taken 2-4 (mostly never over 2) 10/500 tablets per day for the past ten years.

I decided after the DR office episode that my life's been fukd up for far too long from these pills I can't seem to function without... that it's time to shake 'em.

I've been cold turkey for 36 hours of emotional and physical hell... but if the worst is over, I'll make it.

I quit a 35-year, 2-packs/day Marlboro habit over a year ago the same way.

It wasn't easy and I don't expect this to be but I have to try.

Addiction is a personal thing...one person's bottom line is another person's max... it really comes down to the quality of life and what's in control...

Some might think it laughable that I could consider myself an addict taking only 20Mg/day of opiates but I know better. I know when I plan my vacations, trips, activities around my pills. I know how angry, short-tempered, anxious, withdrawn, asocial, and self-immersed I've become...  I am not me any more and I want to get me back.

I bailed on driving down and spending Thanksgiving with my family today...  I woke up so drenched in self loathing and pity that I just couldn't bring myself to make it.  This is big as it's something I have never done in the past.

This is probably the saddest (next to the one following my grandmother's passing...) Thanksgiving I've ever spent.  A part of me just wants to die and yet there must be some part of me that wants to self preserve as I am here.

Thanks/Love
Mark
Mark, I totally understand. I was taking 3-4 vicodin a day (750mg) for 3 1/2 years. Yea, they were prescribed and I didn't exceed the daily prescription amount. I too planned everything around them. I made sure when I went to Mexico I had a few in my pocket, just in case we were delayed. Yesterday was the first Thanksgiving in 4 years that I was not on vics. O felt good. My wife knows I had a problem, but she didn't until I told her last week. I'm 11 days clean now. I would convince myself that only taking 3-4 a day is no big deal. Besides, I was Only going by the prescription right? I'm still feeling WD. Last night I tossed and turned all night. It was the first time in a few days I actually thought about vicodin. I'll get some tylenol pm for tonight. My back actually feels better without the pills. It's amazing how our mind convinces is that we need the pills. Hang in there brother. This sight is awesome with the best people you could ask for.
I meant to share this story yesterday, since it was Thanksgiving and i have lots to be thankful for, especially for the people I've met here. Thank you for all your support!

Anyway, I work for the Department of Welfare, over 20 years. I meat a lot of people with addiction problems. I'll be honest, I'm one to judge them because I never had a problem, so I cant see why they do. You can stop. Well, needless to say I see things in a new perspective now. I'm one of them. Imagine that!

I interviewed a man on Wednesday. He had never applied for benefits before, he's 50. He was just released from prison on a work release program. He was missing one of his front teeth. As I was talking to him, he felt the need to spill his guts to me. I did not tell him anything personal about me... for whatever reason he just felt the need. He started by saying, "addiction doesn't discriminate". I let him continue.. it was like he was sent to me for a reason. He said he had been an addict, and then corrected himself and said "I am an addict". He had worked 20 years for the government as a pharmacist. He became addicted to pain pills, and started to falsify paperwork to feed his habit. Of course, he was caught and was put on probation. He lost his job in August. While on probation, he continued to use, was drunk in a bar, fell and lost a tooth. He violated his probation and went to prison.

I learned a lot from this man. .a very successful career, happily married in a very nice section of NJ, had everything going for him. Until addiction got him. It didnt care that he was never in trouble before. It didnt care that he was married. And it didnt care that it would turn his life upside down. He is right... Addiction Does Not Discriminate.. and it never will! God bless all of us trying to fight this demon.  
So i went to pick up my script today, which the doc only gave me 60 of. (vicodin 10mg) when i normally get 240 a month, but now he's tapering me off.  I know it's a good thing but a part of me likes them too much to want to quit. I know I shouldn't but I do. My fiance is just now starting to realize my problem here and thinks that all I need to do is stop taking them. He doesn't get it, no one does.  80 to 120 mg's of vicodin a day and he just thinks I can stop like that. I've been on these for a year now and he thinks I can just stop?  Why do I feel like I need these everyday to get up? I hate that! The one WD symptom that I hate the most is are the restless legs, arms.....everything is restless and when I don't have them I can't sleep AT ALL. I have 3 children who are all under 6 and I need my sleep to be able to take care of my babies.  My older 2 go to school and my little guy is almost 3. So how am I supposed to quit these things and take care of them too? I'm stuck and I don't really know where to go from here.  I want to stop them but I don't want the effects of it. I just simply cant stand this really. If I taper off them will I still feel as bad and will the restless part go away? Someone explain this to me please because I'm at a loss and don't know what to do!
I hope it is a typo, were you really taking 100 one hundred pills a day???
I have pins in my knees and stuff too, so i feel some of your pain. I have problems with my back, but obviously not as bad as you do. Pain is Pain though and it *****. I would never go the suboxone or methadone route! my aunt did methadone for years and she would nod out and look like an idiot. I would never want people to see me like that! I have tried the benzos to help ease the wd symptoms but for me they dont work anyway. I was on adavan 1mg tabs a few years ago and quit those cold turkey.  I never knew that what I went through were WD's, but it sucked horribly!  So far today I havent taken any vicodin and im trying not to. The only thing that gets me is the restless everything and the twitches. If I start to get these I'll probably take a 1/4 of a 10mg just to make that go away. It's been 12 hours so far, which is not a lot I know, but it's a start and im trying right? Anyway congrats on getting off the oxys!
Hi P.

Nice to hear from someone with the same awareness. I started to say dilemma but clearly, it's better to make this a positive.

I'm on day 4 and I have MAJOR shakes and inner angst as is typical of withdrawal from opiates...

Interestingly, I have yet to experience any back pain which is why I began taking hydrocodone in the first place.

I figure its A) my pain receptors are still unaware/awake because of the buildup of hydro in my body or B) My brain reprogrammed the neurology of its pain receptors for so long (during the 10+ years of medicating) that it no longer understands pain as it used to prior to my consumption of Vicodin...

I am to the point that I would rather feel pain (and all the other wonderful and not-so-wonderful emotions which make up the human experience) than stay comfortably numb on pain pills.

I hope that the worst is behind me but I am careful not to be too cocky and I am prepared to accept that things might get worse.  

I will do whatever it takes to kick this.

I quit a 35-year, 2 packs/day cigarette habit last year via 'cold turkey' and it was just as hard I think.

I need to go shopping for all of the natural ingredients on this list which I copied from the website I posted on.  Here it is in case you need some nutrients.

Thanks for the shout and kind, encouraging words.  It's always good to have someone to share with.

If you need anything, I'm here.

Be and stay well,
Mark
Hey there!

You are NOT the summation of the medication you take...  It is A facet of your life but it is NOT what defines you.

Pills did not get you a degree, a meaningful job, the ability to represent your country and your institution at an international convention brother.

Please recognize the separation between you the man and you the addict.  

being, plain and simple, a drug addict. A coward one with a good job, a great poser, but in the end, a pill popper.  (SEE ABOVE!)

If only these people knew who I really was, they probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with me anymore. (SEE BELOW)

People are compassionate and understand that we all have our inner demons.  Just look at this board if you need proof~:)  

I'm sure that the same redeeming qualities which allow you to excel in your profession, though they also craftily hide your inner demon.... those qualities are far grander than the facet (that tiny word again...) of you which has kept you addicted.

Love yourself brother and believe in whats good about you.  I do and I haven't even ever met you~:)

As Freddy Mercury would say... "KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE@!"
Mark

Hi, Im in almost the same situation as you :( I was on Percocet for 8 years, never missed a day) I have 2 children,...that was MY excuse all those years. I would think to myself, how can I stop taking this pills if I have to work, take care of children, do housework etc..?? well Im gonna tell you how I did it...12 days ago I realized that everything will have to just suffer for a minute until I get better!!! I have no support system, so I knew it was gonna me, alone doing this! But look at it this way, would u rather continue to function, but only because the pills are functioning for you, or would you rather feel like **** and not be productive for a few days and then be pill free??? I quit cold turkey and the first 4 days were hell...my house was a disaster , I basically did what I had too for the kids, ( made quicker meals etc..) but trust me..THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! The restless leg thing was one of my hardest withdral symptoms, I found showers and bathes and walks somewhat helped...( I begain going for daily walks on day 4) by day 6 I felt sooooo much better....my energy is still not 100% but Ive heard full recovery can take a few weeks, either which way I am well on my way to a healthy lifestyle....it is gonna be hard but you can do it....its is sooo worth it!! :)
Hi SJ-  I just joined this site.  I read your thread from September about Vicodin and how you said you were an addition counselor so I wanted to email you. Never thought I'd be on this website talking about a problem I never thought I had.  I've been on vicodin off and on....more on....for about a year now.  To me, that sounds like a LONG time.  Then, I hear more about people who have been on them for 3 or 5 years or longer.  I couldn't imagine but I can't deny that could happen to me.  After reading some of these posts, seems my addiction is pale in comparison.  I may take one or two vicodin with alcohol and only one time have I taken 3 10mg's in a span of about 4 hours.  I'm not trying to minimize it.  I'm a pharmaceutical rep and while I don't doctor shop, I have "friends" that will supply me pretty much when I want.  Part of me wishes they would cut me off and part of me is ecstatic when I pick up that new rx at CVS.  I added it up and I have about 6 people I've gotten vico from in the past year.  That scares the **** out of me....that's it's gotten to that point....but also scares me to quit because I absolutely love the feeling it gives me.  It's definitely my d.o.c.  How did you get addicted?  I have found I do it on random nights.  I may work all day, go to gym, and then come home and while I'm cooking dinner and listening to music and drinking wine I found I crave it the most.  Are you the same way?  I wonder if you think this next issue is commonplace as well; Well, I've been dating a woman for roughly a year now, except for a few months we split up.  Is it common to take vico/drugs as a "buffer" for what could be lacking in a relationship?  I have to add that I also have been drinking a LOT.  Well, I have come to realize I'm not in love with her.  I think I've started using more and more bc I feel bad/want to feel numb for not loving her.  Though she hasn't said she loves me, I'm perceptive enough to figure things out.  I could go on and on.  It helps me to talk about it.  I know someday I'll need to quit and that day scares me.  I've been clean for 5 days now (took 3 pills on thanksgiving) and I"m out.  I could get more but part of me is doing everything possible to not call my source.  Did you ever use because you were bored and just wanted mental stimulation?  Thanks for listening!!!    CL1970
So, yeah... I messed up too!

I'm a pre-med college student with a pretty good GPA, yet unfortunately discovered pain pills and use them recreationally.  This summer I took 3-4 10mg Vics three times a week, which wasn't too bad..yet my use progressed until my dose got up to a scary 10-12 10mg Vics a day. Like everyone else here, I'm simply tired of the lifestyle, and genuinely don't remember what normality feels like.  I'm 24 hours free of the little yellow devils, so thats the first step.  The second step is knowing that the worst of the withdrawal symptoms (for my usage) will be days 2-4... I've read some of these posts, and it looks as if 'taking walks' and 'hot showers' will be in my foreseeable future.  I'm looking forward to part three of this love story, where I happily wave goodbye to the $@#$# pills and set forth upon life with sound mind and body. Thanks for everyone's posts; I can learn something from everybody on this message board.
I've been taking vics off & on for 20 years but always stopped once my doctors quit prescribing. Then I found a contact how sells them which are very expensive.  Well, I've been taking 8 to 12 a day, probably OD's one night because I forgot when I took them last & ate like 60 mg in a couple hours.  I'm almost 48 hrs without any, I've blocked my contact so they can't call me & feeling pretty darn bad.  Very restless, headache, tired, etc.  I just need to remember this so I don;t start back up.  
Hope you're hanging in there.

I quit the day before Thanksgiving when I ran out of my scrips and missed my DR. appt.

Cold turkey...

Day 3-5 hurt the most but overall wayyyyyyyy easier to kick than cigarettes which I also quit cold turkey over a year ago.

Oddly, the back pain I suffered for so many years and why I began taking the pills in the first place, is no more....

I don't know how long it will be this way but for now, I am doing pretty good.

Drink lots of water, get lots of rest, eat healthy, avoid stress and believe in yourself.

Opiates leave the body/mind/spirit pretty fast if you let them~:)

Peace Brother
Mark
Oh yeah...

I also took extra strength Excedrin 2-4 as needed.

I think A) the Acetaminophen eased the withdrawals and B) helped me relax a bit and C) psychologically allowed me to take 'a pill' thereby going through the placebic motions without the cost of freedom from Hydrcodone...

Maybe this is all crap but I tend to analyze everything and if the end result is recovery then so be it.

Fight the good fight!
M
NOTE: This is a long entry and is for them that are addcited to and or are ready to quite using Vicodin. This will most likely not help you if you are taking something stronger than regular Vicodin.

I am a 42 year old suffering from Lupus and the pain that goes with it. I am in the late part of the 48 hour withdrawal phase and it has been hell. My doctor took me off of Darvocet about a year ago when it was pulled from the market. She put me on 4 Vicodin's a day which came to 120 per month. They would last on average about a week and a half. I eventually started getting them earlier and earlier until finally my long time pharmacist kindly and with a genuinely friendly demeanor to seek help for addiction. This was on the 30th of November 2011 and here I am on the morning of the 12th of December going through withdrawals. It is hell but I am not going back to the pills. This is a forced cold turkey for me and I know that this is the time that I stop because I went through this with both cigarettes and alcohol. I quit both cold turkey on my 30th birthday and I never went back. I had my temptations and the desire to smoke lasted for at least two years but eventually I made it through because I was ready to make it through.

In this next paragraph I am going to be as blunt with you as I was to myself about cigarettes and alcohol and now Vicodin. Here goes. STOP IT OR IT WILL KILL YOU. It's just that simple. If you came here to see how to deal with the withdrawals knowing that you'll take more in the near future then stop reading this. You are not ready to quite until you can do the following as I did this past Friday. First of all stop taking the medications. Throw the rest away. I had about 6 left and I flushed them Friday morning. Next step. Own your situation and stop blaming the drugs or life or whatever else you have done to get yourself this deep into your self imposed addiction. Us addicts need to own what we are doing and or have done in order to move on. I have done this with Vicodin as I did with cigarettes and alcohol. Next step. Call your pharmacy and flat out tell them to put a note onto your record that you are an addict and that you do not want further refills. Make sure to tell the main pharmacist and at least one of the workers in the pharmacy. And make sure that is is written on your file. Noted in bold and even highlighted. Next, call your doctor and do the same thing. If you talk to the secretary or medical office assistant ask for someone higher up and have them do the same with your file. When it came time for me to quite drinking I made a flayer with my photo on it and made copies. I took them to all of my usual hang outs and booze pick up joints and explained what I was do8ng and had them post it prominently where I and they and the world could see it. You will be amazed at just how effective this is and at just how much support people will give you. Finally, you'll need to grow a damn backbone and stop being a whining little addict and just stick to this. The time is now. Trust me when I say that waiting and or trying to cut back will not work. You'll just keep going on and on and on.

And now for the withdraws. I go through them monthly and have been for almost a year now. I am an expert on them by now. Make sure the family knows what is going on and what to expect. Make sure that you take at least three days off of work to get through the very worst of it. Here is what you can expect to happen in those first few days. The first 12-24 hours will be the worst in my opinion. This is the period when your body is demanding a fix. Resist! This is the time to call your pharmacy and your doctor and to tell the family that you are ready tog o through this in order to get to being normal again. The second day you'll feel slightly better lapsing in and out on sleep. Rest as much as possible and drink at least one gator aid a day and as much water as you can take in. For food I would suggest low acid fruits. For me kiwifruit and bananas seem to work the best. Just avoid heavy and acidic foods and avoid all dairy products. The dairy will make your diarrhea worse and make that paste mouth much worse. On the third day (which I am going into now) you'll feel slightly better but you'll have flu like symptoms until at least day four. By the end of day four get out and start to walk a little bit. Get some fresh air. Take a few deep breaths. Pain killer lower your ability to smell and so this fourth day deep breathing will make you aware that you are not only getting better but that you are literally coming back to your senses. If you do work you should be going back about now because the symptoms are still there but not nearly as bad as the first few days. As the week wears on start to eat more and more normal foods. The more natural the food the speedier your recovery. Vitamin supplements help greatly as well.

At the end of week one you are well on your way to recovery from Vicodin addiction if you truly want to stop. As the next week begins follow up with your doctor and your pharmacy and make sure that they have noted that you are going clean. This will serve to make sure that getting another prescription will be very difficult and it will also help you to keep admiring to yourself that you had a problem but are ready to move on and away from that problem.

As the weeks wear on you'll get better and better until eventually you are a new person. A happier and more mature person for having has been strong enough to get through this. Trust me when I say that even though I am only going into my third day that I know what I am talking about here and I know that I am finally ready to quite. As I stated earlier I have already done this twice with two other addiction and I made it through them, just fine and have never gone back. This is my time to battle and win this war. I refuse to let medication dictate how good or bad I feel. I own me. The medication owns nothing unless we give ourselves to it and then we are that medications slave. Don't be a slave. The time is now and I am here for you.

I can be here for you and I'll need someone here for me. Let's go through this together. If you want to you can e-mail me at ***@**** and we'll help one another. If you are reading this in early 2012 or later I will have been clean for a while and will be here to help you. Just reach out. You are not alone. You can do this. I can do this. I have done this.
From reading all the different comments and going thru withdrawl (withdrawal) myself.
It seems to me that eveyone is going to have a different experiance withdrawing from
this posion in our system. Some have it easy some not so easy and some just Brutal!

I did like what ohsosick said about getting rid of the meds. This goes with all addictions i believe.
Getting rid of the Booze or Cigs or whatever ur doc is. Calling your doctor and Pharmacist is definetly
like the gutsiest move! I highly recommend that! That closes the door esp with the Pharmacy! Yea,
you could goto another Pharmacy. And yea you could doctor shop. But, then you have to work at it so
at least it give you time to say " you know what i am not going to do this again" then stop the madness
thinking.....Anyway thats all i have to say about that.

To all going thru this now. Your xmas will be a special one I garantee it ESP if you have been addicted for
along time!

So stay true and do this for you to keep from being ever so blue again!

Merry Chirstmas All!

Sparticus... :-)
Mark I hope you are feeling better... your story inspired me to write this ~ I've been sitting here reading all these stories and I'm so glad I found this site cuz it does help soooo much... I was also a 3-4 vicodins a day addict for about 6 years now... I always took exactly what was prescribed to me and it was prescribe because I get severe headaches and have some neck and back pain ~ of course I don't even know if thats still true because I just really like the vic's so much I just keep making up reasons or exaggerating my symptons to my Doc to write the scipt for me.... and if for any reason I ran out I had some connections to hold me over til I could see the Dr.  Well a couple of months ago my dr just decided to change the script from 4max a day to 2max a day... I wasn't happy at all but was able to supplement from my connections... I went to him 4 days ago because I completely ran out and couldn't get them elsewhere, well suddenly he wouldn't prescribe them! What??? He said I should have enough til Jan 12!!?  I thought omg ~ thats a whole other month away!! I panicked and tried to argue my point that he changed the maximum daily dosage... He walked out of his office saying nope computer won't let it go thru have a happy holiday!  I could have cried in his office right there... But I just said to myself ok, this is it, you have to stop and as long as you get them you'll never stop... I left there with my head held high, and just hoped that the last half I had from the morning would last in my system just until I got home... I stopped at a pharmacy and bought advil and aleve and headed home ~ feeling somewhat good about my decision or forced decision that  I'm gonna finally quit this!!  Well this my 4th day and I have felt like I wanted to die.  Vicodin made me feel alive, ready for anything, happier, more social, motivated, and all aches and pains magically gone... Now I feel heavy, achey (achy), exhausted, soooo depressed and no motivation to even leave my house... I always rationalized that my addiction was minimal cuz I only took 3-4 per day... but I knew deep down that I would plan everything around my pills... vacations, work stuff, fun stuff, just everything!  I sit wondering if I'm ever gonna really feel better off the pills, its been so long since I felt that way I hardly remember... but what I do remember is always feeling headachey and tired and how my life is so different in the last 6 years cuz I actually always feel good! I've actually accomplished alot in my life in the last 6 years, so other than the having to have my fix ~ I don't really associate anything negative with taking them other than its like my own dirty little secret... And of course, they're so hard to get and the stigma of them is getting worse and worse... The only thing that makes me really want to quit is the fact that I am soooo upset if I can't get them ~ it actually runs my life, as far as ruining my life I can't really say that... And of course I'm sure its not healthy for your body to be taking these on such a regular basis either (I mean I never missed popping my pill 3x a day) and I always knew that someday I would have to stop... My doctor has made comments to me in the past like you know you can't take these forever... of course in my head I think really why not??  So I'm 4 days cold turkey and I' hoping that because I wasn't taking 20 or more a day the withdrawals will hopefully lessen soon ~ but my other problem is that my connection called me this morning saying hey I have some now if you want them??  I feel like I am at war with myself ~ part of me is saying YES GET THEM! and the other part of me is saying YOU HAVE 4 DAYS UNDER YOUR BELT, DON'T DO IT!!
I've been crying, reading all your posts, crying some more, and fighting this war inside me... I feel like a human yo yo ~ Help!
Ok, no help I guess... I thought this was a forum where people help one another with the same problem... I feel like my comments quieted a whole forum!! lol  Well anyway, I'll write this just in case anyone's listening ~ I ended up giving in to my cravings on day 5 because a friend of mine had some percs and gave me 6 of them... I was actually almost feeling a lil better, but decided it wasn't a good time of year to actually quit... Sound familiar?? Thats an addict rationalizing again... So I had written in my previous comments that this same friend of mine who gave me a few percs had called me while I was in day 3 and 4 of withdrawals (by far the worst of it) and said she could get me a bunch of vicodins. So what did I do? Well I guess when someone dangles a carrot in front of an addict, one that wasn't fully committed to quitting, this is what you get...
Once again, I gave in to the devil in my own head after yo yo-ing for a day or two about getting them.... I finally took a perc which was just gonna hold me over til the vic's came thru in a couple of days... So, with the swallowing of this 1 stupid little pill, I was committed to this life again.  (btw I don't really like perc's, they give me a different feeling than the vic's do and they're not really what I ever want, but sometimes take them if I have nothing else.) So the craziness begins again... Well low and behold I start taking the percs and suddenly start feeling a little better, but know once I get the vic's I'm really set... Now I'm really craving them again... So, what do you think happens? I only have like 6 perc's and of course I begin to cut them in half and try to make them last a few extra days til the ones I want finally come in... Wait, I thought she said she actually had them? I don't think I would have been detoxing and then change my mind for something she MIGHT get?????  Wtf is going on????? Don't you HAVE THEM YET??
NOPE ~ and after a few days of 100 phone calls, she's not getting them after all... I begin to panic...again.... I was off them for 5 full days!!!! Even feeling a little better from the w/d's ~ WTF!! Now I have this **** in my system AGAIN and definitely don't want to go thru detoxing again the week before Christmas!!! I have soooooooo much **** to do and I already layed in bed all last week!! Holy crap!!  And I still have a while before I can see my doctor and wow here I am AGAIN trying to figure out a way to get more!!! TOTALLY CRAZY!!! Sound familiar???? It really is a horrible addiction and once again all I could think about for days is ~ I'm gonna be completely out! Now what??!!!!
Well, I know what... I need to be done with ALL OF THIS ~ this was actually really sad ~ to decide I'm done, then decide I'm not done, just to HAVE to decide I'm done again is HORRIBLE!
Yo yo ~ That's my new name... So my new approach is this... I made sure I got another 5 more perc's and I'm gonna ween myself over this next week, half twice a day til I go to half once a day to NO MORE... I have done this once or twice over the years and it's a much nicer way to quit than cold turkey... and the fact that they're perc's and not vic's is even better for me cuz I really don't like the perc's nearly as much... I just hope I can stay off of them for good this time because it's just sooooo not worth the panic and the ridiculous rationalizations that come along with a terrible addiction.  I'm hoping that this last bout with all this confusion of ~ ok I'm done, well maybe I'm not done if I can get them, to the craziness of the last few days of ~ I can get them for you, well not yet, ok still not yet, and then the grand finale'  of oooops sorry can't get them for you after all!!!!
I many never talk to her again, she said she was trying to help me, but, hey thanks for dangling a carrot in front of me and then never letting me have it...
But I hope the good that comes out of this whole crazy situation is that I've learned my lesson ~ because I do believe this was a lesson I needed to learn right now... That this addiction is JUST NUTS and I have to just say NO and mean it.... I don't want to live this crazy life of always trying to figure out if I have enough pills to last me til this or til that... And then I get them and I'm happy and then I don't and I'm not... It really does suck... And I would like to live my life without them instead of letting them run my life... I hope this helps at least someone out there.... you're definitely not alone... Yo yo
This post is over 4 years old and I am sure it is simply being over looked. If you go tot he top of this page you will find an orange Post A Question button. Hit that and follow the instructions. From there you will start your own post and allow the members to get to know you.

If you need help let someone know.
I too am getting off of vicodin cold turkey!  I am glad to read others posts as I was beginning to think maybe something more was wrong with me.  I am on day 9 and I too have had stomach pains, cramps, diarhea (diarrhea), night sweats, cold shakes, horrible sleep and an over all feeling of absolutely no energy.  Would love to know how long these symptoms will last?  We all need to stay strong, we Can do this!   Love to all who is suffering right now....
Please post this question as a new post. You will get a quick response that way.
You never have to label yourself an addict. You a a very successful person and all your acomplishments will never take away from the self driven person you are. How many thousands of people are taking this drug and sit on a couch and have nothing to be proud of. YOU ARE A SMART SUCCESSFUL PERSON AND NOTHING WOULD EVER CHANGE THAT AS LONG AS YOU ARE ALIVE. If you decide to stop the medicine you are one person that can.  GOD BLESS YOU!
Be careful with suboxen. It can easily turn into a substitute for the opiates. I took suboxon for last month after taking about a 150 ml of percocet a day.  I would begin my day with 45 mil before I got in shower, another 15 when I got out and another 15 when I got to coffee shop on way to work.  I would then do several throughout day to maintain.  suboxen is great to ween yourself down.  I would suggest half pill a day for week; quarter for two weeks and eighth for a week.  I am on day five without any suboxin and I feel like crap.  joint pain is awful but greatfully I have  a hot tub which has been a god send for the pain and anxiety.  I smoke a little pot at night and take a half of clonopin.  Today I am fatigued and emotional but the "feeling out of your skin" seems to have subsided.  This is my third detox and I can honestly say my last.  They say religion is the opiate of the masses....well I say percocet etc is the opiate of the *****! and I am one no more.  Stay clean and sober and fight the good fight.  Suboxin or not you are in for a pretty awful week when you finally stop.
WOW i really know how u feel i smoked pot since i was 14 I quit when i was 29 but i had an accident and got on norco 10 since then i have had 2 more accidents i feel like the last 3 or 4 years all ive really wanted is pot but i have substituted it for the norcos this is my first day of cold turkey for the third time and ive been drinking since 130 to try and get past the withdraws if my wife found out she would kill me not sure what to do last time i went through this i had to leave for 2 weeks and go into treatment but i was also comeing off of colonipin too
I feel the same way down to planning every aspect around my pills I take 6 to 7 10's a day my perscription says 4 so I guess Im an addict I justfy it because I dont take 40 a day but if I take over what Im perscribed I have a problem..I left my job Im losing everything Ive worked for I take my pills with food so I gained 80lbs ..Im looking to go cold turkey tomorrow..I hope its all over for you and you feel better
Edward:
I've been reading posts for the last three days and have found yours very helpful. I never smoked, but I did stop drinking over 23 years ago. Then - I came upon painkillers. I've been using them, off and on, for about 10 years. I've gone through mild WDs, but this time is VERY different. I'm older, 61, had shoulder surgery eight months ago, and the doc gave me Norco. I abused them, stole drugs from friends, looked in to medicine cabs whenever I visited other homes, etc. So, after eight months of taking 5 to 10 Norcos daily, I had enough. I stopped, cold turkey. Told my wife, kids, doc. Ending day 3; it has been hell, but one thing, this is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and in a way am grateful that it is hell, because I finally know I won't do this again, I told my wife that if I ever need surgery, and although I've told my doc to red flag me as an addict, and somehow get a script for the stuff, to stop me if I don't remember this hell. I don't think that will be a problem. Thanks again. If you are out there I hope you're clean and doing well.
Congratulations and i envy anyone who can get off this "crap" I've been on it way too long and need to get off of it! I am so afraid of the pain my body will go through:(
God Bless you all who have overcome
I'm a 26 year old woman who never thought she'd have an addiction problem. But 3 years ago I started having surgeries for a bad case of endometriosis. I haven't needed surgery for 2 in a half years, but have been taking hydrocodone on and off since the first surgery. Its very difficult to give up the drug once you realize that it can make you feel really good. But I've learned that it is an illusion. You think you are friendlier, more energetic, and able to accomplish so much more under the influence of the pills, but truly, over time you realize you've become more irritable, and more unable to be satisfied with things that used to be plenty. You feel panicky when you start to run out. Hell, I will be completely honest; these pills have turned me into someone that would steal from a friend. I have a friend and he gets all the pills he wants and he shares them with me...but often times I feel it isn't enough, or that I will run out, so I take them without asking. I've finally reached a point where I had to look myself in the mirror and truly ask myself if I was happy with me. Did I like the person I was being? And the answer of course was no. But I refuse to get any type of professional help because I feel like this is my battle, and no one else's business. Or maybe that's another way of saying I'm ashamed of myself, and I don't want the world to know. But here's the deal, I do believe I am strong enough to fix what I have done on my own. And if I can do it, then anyone can. Today is my first day quitting again for the 3rd time...Here are some things that have helped me get through it before:

1) Take vitamins and even add airborne to your daily ritual for awhile. The herbs and amino acids in the airborne seem to give an extra boost that the vitamin alone won't do.

2) Take Advil PM at night to help with the insomnia. It won't completely cure it, but it does take some edge off.

3) Smoke marijuana. Seriously. If you are already a smoker, I don't need to explain why. If you are totally against it, well, you are missing out on one of life's greatest gifts. (It's people who abuse weed that make people who use it look bad)

4) Exercise! I know it sounds extra difficult, but trust me, the endorphins help in so many ways and it will help you sleep better on those tough nights.

5) Keep a Journal. This is very important. Its the perfect way to release your feelings when it gets rough, and a great way to record your achievements when you are sticking with it. Trust me, patting yourself on the back through this process goes a long way. Plus, because you can write anything at all that you want to say or get out, it's the perfect therapy.

6) Don't expect too much to quick or you will be inclined to give up. Remember that this is a process and you won't feel all magically better in one week or maybe even two. If you can remain patient, you will be less likely to give up, and before you know it, you really will be feeling all better again, and back to your usually self.

7) Remind yourself that one pill is never enough.... don't play the game of "well, just one this one time" It ALWAYS leads you down the same old road. So I guess you could also say that one pill is too much.

8) Don't beat yourself up or think you are some sort of scum bag living a lie. I mean, maybe you are. But odds are, you are just like most of us, a person doing the best they can at life, and trying to learn from their mistakes.

Let us all have success! We all have it in us to do anything we truly want to do! Good luck to everyone! I'm right there with ya!

-sade-  
I just got off phone w/my Suboxone Doc. It's been one month off Sub. Please PLEASE don't start sub. It's up to 40X stronger then morphine. It binds to your receptors so tightly, that it can take 6 mo of physical w/drawl(in some people) If you are addicted to vic's like me..It's not worth going on sub because your trading one addiction for another. Coming off vic's is a lot easier A LOT then sub. And no, tapering down doesn't help. At the beginning, I thought sub was godsent. I decided i didn't want to be dependent on anything anymore, and a month later, i'm still horribly sick. God luck to you.
wow-- actually just reading these (read about 50 so far) is helping. The 2 suboxones i had the past 2 days helped the most tho, but thats all i took and i will take-- been taking like 20 (at least) vicoprofens everyday for the last year (on and off- when i ran out, ill take some suboxone or neurontin or whatev til i get more, or just lay in bed), from toothaches, to lapband to tonsilitis to migraines, i always get desterate from pain, than stay hooked cuz i convince muslef i'm happier. But thats bs cuz i am so not happier, i havent had a job, attended school, done really anything except get these pills, and try to hang out with my son every second that i'm on them. now i'm out of money, pills, options and i';m grateful for this gift of desperation. i dont want to live in my dark room anymore, hidding form everyone and everything keeping this big secret, as i'm suppossed to have 3 years clean. i just want to be better. the past 4 or 5 days, have been absolut3e hell. restless, heart racing skin crawling, no sleep, diariah, vomiting, no eating, so mean, just awful. i took myself to the er and the dumb dr gave me 1 valium. wow. thanks. anyway, i just wanna stop and never start again. i havent gone thru a wd like this in 8 yrs and promised myself i would never do it to myself again.and i guess i forgot the true hell that it is, but now i remember and hopefully love myself enough to  know, i have now gotten thru the worst and please. god, dont ever hurt myself like this again.
You and I have a lot of the same stuff going on .. and it feels good to read these cause about 5 yrs ago after having my 4th and last child stuff started happening to me back and legs migrains ect. without in the last 3 yrs i have been put on hydros 10/325 and then percs 10/325 before the pain pills you couls bearly get me to take anything even when i have my first baby the drip stuff the dr and nurses was like HOLY CRAP!! honey your not even push the button ... anywho i have went cold turkey about 4 times and i dont wish that kind of pain on anyone hot and cold sweats,, shakes,, fever,, running to the bathroom, migrains,,, sleeping, not wanting to see the light of day,, lost of eating ,,,mood swing you name it I had it ,,and the times i did go cold turkey what seem to help a little not much but if you can get pass that 3 to 4th day reading a book bible ect if your in church that helps drinks water sleep sleep ..but I will not lie at the moment becuz i am also disabled i am still on the percs if i was everyone that didnt want to take them anymore i would  talk to a dr. about it or cut them in half until ur almost off.. kinda like smoking its a habbit to.
i have suffered with opioit addiction since i was 16, i am 33 now.  I have been off and on for years.  I started with heroine then onto vicodins.  I was put on subutex for 4 years.  I stopped those last year and the withdrawl (withdrawal) was HELL!  I have been tampering with vicodins again for the last 3 months, I stopped cold turkey last night.  I have been taking 12 7.5's a day.  I still have some leftover sub's from last year in front of me but i cant figure out which withdrawl (withdrawal) will be worse. Suffer a few days from the vicodin or restart the subutex to help with withdrawl (withdrawal), but how will I feel once I stop the sub's?  I think I'll power through the vicodins.  It took me 6 months to get over that subutex b.s.
I took the next few days off work to do all this.  It ***** but I did it to myself.  Good luck out there.
Wow, that is a great plan of action.  I need somthing to tell me I will not have to be as sick I have been/am.  Thank you so much.
It's not how many any one takes, it is why they take them. Out of necessity for medical problems or because we feel we need them
your noly going to be sick for around 4 or 5 days then you will feel a world better the mental part takes a wile as a whole the forum recamends aftercare both N/A and A/A are free and everywhere both are good programs get hooked up it will give you someone to talk to and it is critical for long term sobriety good luck and God bless......Gnarly
Thank you all for your posts. My wife started on the hydrocodones in September. and has gone from one a day to 16 in just that short time. Her reason is not medical but escape. We tried to ween off them but that lasted about 2 days and she was lying to me and buying additional ones.
She has promised me that today she is going to quit going cold turkey. Because of all the information you wonderful people have shared I have been able to put together things to help here through it. I won't say make it easy, because it is not easy. Thanks for all the info and tips and giving me hope that I can get my wife back. This site is one of those places that reaffirms the ability, goodness and strength of human nature. May God bless and protect all of you who have gone through it are going through it and will go through. You all give me hope.
help i been on zydone for 10 + years i was a cna for 30 yrs and had back surgery i need to quit because it is using up money now when i run out so i'm behind on my bills i'm in pain so much i need to know how to kick it all i have is gabapentin and ropinrole tranzadone i'm scared to take it because the withdrawls are so bad i'll have to take more please help me this taking over my life
you should try and make your own post in the main forum page here. that way your questions and concerns get answered. this post is from YEARS ago.

we have all been right where you are.
I found out in sept that my wife of 30 years had started getting pain meds off the street believe it or not her therapist made the arrangements. She only told me after agonizing months of financial troubles i could write a book but i need help in bringing her back this forum has provided hours of hope since i found it tonight.
Shes had migraines for 35 years weve tried the clinics to no avail just prescribed so much meds over the years a few years ago we went to cleveland through their treatment regimine which is no pain meds but last jan 2011 her therapist turned her on to street oxy n from there its just went down hill. Meeting people she dont know spending thousands a month. Once i found out the deception and trust was hard to overcome but we got through that and im determined to get her / us through this but how can i when the migraines are still causing so much pain? She know shesaddicted but afraid angry etc when we try to scale back
That was amazing.  Are you open with your family with this?  I live in a deep secret with this.  I feel alone.
I'm 27 now and have been on and off of vicodins since i was 17. I started taking it for some a severe foot injury and been hooked since. For me I liked the feeling it gave me, more energy, good mood,ect. Ive been off and on till a few days ago. Ive been exercising mostly boxing training and now that i stopped vicodin cold turkey once again, I feel aches and pains all over my body, my hands hurt like hell, i cant even hit the heavy bag any more feels like both my wrist are sprain. But i know its the withdraws from the vicodin because my whole body aches.But I know that I must and i want to really quit this habbit and reading all these post is really a big help to know i'm not alone and if others can do it so can I. so thanks all of you for your post and comments on this site it a big help to me and i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way. I just try my best to be head strong and tell my self that i dont need it. I know its not an easy thing to quit neither any type of drug, but some how some way it can be done its really up to yourself and how bad you want to quit. I may have tryed to quit many times before and failed, but i always tell my self this time is it, and maybe some day it will be.
Good luck Jessejames, why not consider taking a little time off while you detox?  I can't imagine having to go out into the world let alone work out while in w/d.  I've been on hydrocodone for years due to pain - it was no longer taking my pain away, so why keep taking it - I decided to get off and really didn't know how awful the withdrawal would be.  I feel lucky that my w/d surely wasn't as long in duration as heavier users but it was still pretty awful.  Now that I think I'm on the other side of the hump, I'm surely never taking pain pills again, I would never knowingly go through this again.  I wish you luck.
I am in day one of withdrawal after taking 10 a day for 3 years of vicodin - i used to take dilautid for 4 years - 13 a day - this is terrible feeling. i cannot eat, sleep, death would be welcomed at this point. is anybody going through this now i could talk to. I don' feel like going to an NA meeting or anything like that i just feel like laying here in misery.
Yes I too am going through this right now and it's day 1 for me as well. Im so tired and have the worst stomach cramps no energy but we can get through this together. I have been taking vicodin for 1 year on and off everyday and i kept telling myself that it was going to be my last one. But when I woke up this morning something hit me I knew i had to stop it can destroy your life and all I want to do is get back to normal.

Virginia
austin & jwheeler - I am on Day 8 and I'm here to tell you days 1 & 2 were probably the worst for me.   Just know you are probably in the thick of it right now and keep on doing whatever you can - whether you repeat "I can do this" over and over, take as much immodium as you need (which I didn't do the first day and a half - big mistake) I know you probably don't even feel like drinking water but try to force yourself.  Bananas, peanut butter, broth - try to eat something.  By Day 3 while I still felt like crap I knew the worst was past - just hang on and force yourself through this - you WILL feel better and it you make the committment it just keeps getting better.  I have ups and downs but I never ever want to go through detox again.  We are here keep posting if you can for support, let us know how you are doing.  Take care of yourself and treat yourself gentle right now.
Thanks so much for that post cause its been almost 25 hours. Can you tell me what you went through the first couple of days so that i know what I am up against and believe me I want nothing more than to get through this I cannot keep living everyday on narcotics Please help what did you do to get through the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.
j - just know that you are in the worst part right now - at least for me.  The first couple days were awful.  I was in the shower about 15 minutes out of every hour on the mark, some say baths but baths were too intense for me, showers did feel soooo good and honestly the only true relief I got those first few days.  i shudder to think what my water bill will be next month but whatever it is - it was worth it.  Once I started aggressively taking immodium that was another huge help for me.  I was soooooooo dehydrated I was probably a breath away from going to hospital to get fluids.  So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and if you have to take it a minute at a time then that is what you do.  Hang in there through these first couple days and treat youreself with a lot of care if you can.  If you can get a banana down that might help with restless less.  I tried melatonin, the hylands restless leg stuff and that just made things worse for me but others say it helped.  Everyone's body responds differently.  Hang in there and keep in touch let me know how you are doing.  Keep posting if you can, it gave me a lot of support just knowing what to expect - even if it was bad or I didn't get the answer I wanted from people, I got the answer I needed to hear.  I'm pulling for you!
Thank you right now im doing pretty good i have not experienced the diarrhea that alot of people get and its been about 27 hours since my last pill and as of this moment im eating OK and drinking Gatorade to keep up my immune system. I have not experienced the restless leg yet either so maybe i will not have the worst case with-drawls i am just praying i can pull through this pepto really helped with the stomach cramps though. When in your withdrawls did you experience the symptoms? And thanks for talking to me it is really helping.
Here's hoping you continue doing well.  My symptoms started less than 24 hours after my last pill and escalated for 2 days until they started receding.  If you've been on and off the last year maybe that is what is making the difference for you.  I've taken them on and off before for pain and never had any issues with them.  It is only with the last 3 solid years of daily use that I'm having withdrawals and once BELIEVE me is enough for me.  Keep posting if you need support.  I'll be here until Friday evening and I'm out of town for two weeks.  Wishing you well and hang in there!
Thanks its been 38 hours and so far so good. I slept pretty good last night. I am just happy that I am doing this and that i am not staring at a clock counting down the time to my next pill. Instead Im looking at the clock and being very pleased with myself that its been 38 hours. I know I can do this I am so glad i found this page theres so much support on here.
Just wanted to see how you were doing? Please post an update to tell us how your doing.
GOOD for you, that is great to hear it sounds like you may escape.  PLEASE use this experience as a cautionary tale in case you get tempted to use them again in the future - I never really had an issue with pills until this last round for the last 3 years.  You can use for years without having to pay the piper sometimes and I for one have totally learned my lesson.  So great to hear you are doing well.  Keep it up!
Austin - how you doing today - let us know how you are.  We are here if you need support.
   i think im at the worst of  it right now cant sleep and my stomach started hurting from the withdrawls i guess its been almost 3 days i hope it will soon get better
mark-

your comments made me laugh and cry, just because I've been there, done that.  It's hard period...no matter what dose you take!!! It's been a while since you posted, I just hope this finds you well, happy, healthy both physically and emotionally and vicodin free!!! xoxo sharon
How are you doing?  That's a pretty crazy story and I really hope it turned out good.  Michael
I too am addicted to pills.  Opiates.  I keep planning to stop and then realize it's a bad time becuase life has to go on and I feel I won't be able to function without them.  I never realized I feel physically weak without them.  I thought it would just be mental and emotional.  I've tried waiting my next dose out for several hours and am shocked at how sick I feel.
I have been thru chemo so the aches and pains I believe will be the least of it.  I've relied on these pills to get me going and 'do my thing' for so long I simply can't imagine life going on without them.  And how to chose an appropriate time to stop.  I have my own business and my father is facing brain cancer and I don't want to let my family down.  
So....this is my story.
soready - you're posting on a really old thread. go to the top of the page and
use the "post a question" button to start a new thread. That way people can see your post and help you. Good luck.
Thank you...ok, I will.  But I don't know if I have a question.  I suppose I just wanted to know there are others like me.  And that I have hope.  It's a burden I carry alone and lonely.  So afraid to share.  Nobody would understand the complications....the in's and out's of it.
Vicodin and oxycontin are not good drugs for long term pain because as your tolerance rises so does your use.  For long term pain, my pain doc has me on Fentynal patches and immediate release morphine sulfate.
well your on your way back leave those rainy days behind and live live would'nt it b a wonderful day to stop the chase your not alone there are many of us living a lie along side u but u dont have to live that lie no longer stand tall, stand proud,and survive close your eyes and send a good wish out to the many who need it.
Getting off of Hydrocodone is hell, I admit but you can do it. I have been off od it for four months now. In my opinion, you do not need to go to a clinic if you have understanding love ones. Here is what to expect. I went off cold Turkey. Please take at least 3 weeks off work to do this because I promise you will not feel like working.  Just stop taking the pills and get in bed. I took several warm showers a day . Push yourself to walk and exercise. But if you can get a RX for Xanex and take them at least 3 times a day for a month, especially to sleep. it will help you greatly. I did not develope  a habit for Xanex. It just takes the edge off.  Expect to be emotional . DRINK PLENTY OF WATER TO FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM

After the first three weeks it becomes much, much easier. Don't fall for the temptation to take a partial tablet. Don't do it. After a month you know things are going to get better. It took me three months to completely get it out of my system. But I was functional during that time. The numbness in my feet slowley went away, my appetite came back slowly . I am ok now. Life is good.  Thank GOD !   Anyone can do this . Staying on this drug is not an alternative. It will mess your system up BADDDD !  
I was taking around 1000mg of  narcos a day for about 5 years. I just recently quit, tomorrow will be 7 days. I've ran out before and felt like doody after not taking them for a couple hours, that's why I was always afraid to quit.  This thread inspired and helped me get this far!  I tapered my doses  by taking 5 a day besides my usual 10. After 2 days of that I took 2 a day for 4 days. Last Monday I took my last 10mg, erased all my dealers and prayed to god. I found something called Thomas Recipie.  I followed the Recipie to the t.  Drank lots of juice and Gatorade.  While I was using I had no appetite while I was using and now I'm eating like raveneous animal.  Besides being uncomfortable while sleeping, I'm feelin pretty good. Starting to feel like my old self again and hopefully after a couple more days I'll be good as new. If you're thinking about quitting, do it!  These pills control you're life and drain you're wallet!!!  Thank you to everyone on this forum for all you're words of wisdom and support.
Congratulations to you!  A great boost to your self esteem as well.
I been takeing paint meds for years after Bing sober for 8 years. Bad ankel two opperations still hurts at times. I Have been tryn to stop for a long time now. Im now takeing suboxone for withdrawal now they tell me that i Have to taper off of this to. I feel all of your pain i been figjting this for years. The only thing that ever helped me was going to 12 step meetings.  Like AA and others out there. I know that GOD can help with this. ArĂ© a higher power. What ever Work for u. Good luck and GOD bless
My name is Angela and YES I am an ADDICT. I was prescribed opiate/narcotic painkillers for over 12 years. They were prescribed for a back problem and eventual surgery in 2004, but this was my crutch! I could have survived without them. On Saturday, Feb 19, 2011, I flushed over 200 30 mg tabs of oxycodone (each 30 was = to 6 percocets w/o tylenol) I also flushed over 100 oxcontin (40 mg) and over 50 tramadol (ultram) my hand did try to save one or two....but it was too late....that was the start to the road of recovery....I am THRILLED to report that I have been sober since then, Monday March 19th I will have 13 months of sobriety! However it was ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!
If you need help, or someone to speak to, don't hesitate!!!
Your friend ~AnGie
I have been in AA for almost 13 months...and THIS is the ONLY thing that helped me, I also took suboxone, I have Only ever needed one 8mg tab, and I am tapering off of this now too! Keep up the great work...remember two things 1. Yougottawannit and 2. ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!! ; )
ONE DAY AT A TIME......~Peace
Remember ONE DAY AT A TIME, I am in a 12 step program of recovery (I chose AA)! I have been sober from an opiate addiction for almost 13 months...If I could do it YOU can!! I was taking upwards of 15, 30 mg tabs, 90 mg at a time, and 40 mg tabs of oxycontin 4 times a day! I have been on an 8 mg tab of suboxone for 13 months and I am safely being tappered off 1mg at a time over 16 weeks. Usually after a year they do this 1mg a month, however I am on such a low dose to begin with, mine is 1mg every two weeks.
Good luck to you... and remember you are NOT alone!!!
I realize your post is old, but I have been where you are, You BOTH could get help from a suboxone clinic. Both my husband and I were addicted to perc 30's, and after suboxone he has been clean for 2 years, and I will have 13 months On Monday, March 19th!!!! To thine own self be true......don't wait for him to get sober first, YOU can get sober and show him the way!!! 12 step programs work miracles!!!! ~Peace  
Hi there, it has been 4 months since your post, and I hope you are well. I too, have been where you were four months ago, I planned my life around pills! And if the doctor didn't give me the script when I thought I needed them, I would go into "AnGie meltdown mode"!!! God bless you!! One day at a time! <3
Yes this post may be old but it still comes up at the top of the forum for all to see:) anyways you guys have givin me SOO much strength! I know I can do this!! Reading everyone elses stories helps. So I decided on Wednesday of this week that I need to stop I cannot live like this. Yes I have a medical reason to take hydrocodone but it Hallened right after having a baby and being on them so now my body NEEDS them. I was taking 4-5 a day a half at a time. Wednesday I was allowing myself 3 all day I took 2 1/2! Which my days are long because I have a 6 month old. Thursday my day of taking started at 230 that morning, I couldn't stop moving in bed so
I had to. I only consumed 2 3/4 yesterday and I was also allowing myself 3. Today will be trickier if I want to beat my "daily allowance" it is now down to 2 1/2 so hopefully I can only take 2 and taper myself more quickly! So far I am doIng good with only taking 1/4 of a pill. It relieves my restlessness. So I need lots of prayer in myife please that I can do this for my baby!! No body knows in my family and I cannot tell them. My fiancé works out of town all week so I am a single mother pretty much. It's very hard and life is stressful.
I do need as much encouragement as possible. Also a question from me tapering down to 1/2 for a few days does anyone think I will have horrible WD symptoms at the end? I am off for until the beginning of April and my taper last about 4 days before I go back
IM 48 years old and i tapered down then zeroed out.there is no quick fix but when the high anxiety comes use tiger balm on ur back it seem to help me im on day 5 and feeling better i used 10 a day 4 3 years.god bless to all and beat this beast with the help of our savior  just ask and mean it and he will deliver.take care all and well see u sober soon God Bless
I was hooked on oxycontin for years. I was snorting 4 80mg pills a day. This may sound like a very unusual way to get off but believe it or not I used methamphetamines to get off the opiates...it completely wipes out all your opiate withdrawals for as long as your on it...making the hard days go by with ease. After a week of use my opiate withdrawals were completely gone...I woke up with next day in fear of feeling the withdrawal symptoms come about but no cold chills, aches pains etc etc...nothing. However the one downfall to this is you may go from one drug to another...for me meth or uppers weren't my thing and I never grew a physical dependency to it. Didnt experience any kind of withdrawal from it either. Honestly I tried everything to get off opiates from methadone to suboxone...none of it worked because you would only go from one
Drug to the other then you would be hooked and experience the withdrawal symptoms from the other stuff...which is just as bad if not worse. Hopefully you all believe me when I tell you my success story as unusual as it sounds...but im 6 years clean and sober...off everything and I feel incredible.
hi,
i just want to say that i agree with you about wanting to talk to the doc but feeling as if you can't.  i have back pain and got addicted to hydro and for awhile it made me feel motivated yet calm and happy, at some point i started lying about how much my back hurt so i could get the same number of pills.  i finally went through cold turkey withdrawal back in October but i never told my doc the entire truth.  now a few months later, i've gotten hold of hydro and trams illigally and have gone through a few other withdrawals.  sometimes i want so badly to be able to go in and just talk to my doc about what's going on, that the pills make me happy and take away the physical and emotional pain and tell her i'm sorry i lied to her, but i don't feel like i can because then she wouldn't prescribe them at all.  for now, if i need them, i go each day to the pharmacy and the alotted amount for that day.  it works, except for the illegal stuff.  if not for that, then i wouldn't have gone through anymore withdrawals.  i have two kids and they know about my withdrawals but i don't want to do this to myself anymore--or them for that matter!  i want to get clean and stay clean but without the withdrawals!  

anyway, i know this was probably an older post, but i'm going through another withdrawal and find that reading these helps.  thanks for listening and i hope eveything is working out for you--be kind to yourself and don't judge yourself.  i certainly don't.  take care.
I'm new here and just read your post from a few months ago... way to go and many congratulations on getting off the opiates... I'm in day 3 of w/d and can't sleep from those danged 'crazy legs', so came online to see how long this w/d w/last... your comments really helped. Keep up the great work! Bless you and take good care, Gracie
My cold turkey experience was pretty horrible but it worked.  I always thought that if I could quit smoking I could do anything - I was right.  BUT be aware - there was, for me, a whole lot of uncontrolled vomiting.  My husband, bless his heart, came in to check on me about every 20 min. or so and I had nothing to vomit but I guess bile needed to come up - joking as it was horrible.  I had a few seizures I'm told but I survived.  I will say I "took this medicine as prescribed" as Warren Zevon says in his "I'll sleep when I'm dead" song but it can be done - I promise you.  My only remaining problem seems to be the big black hole in my life -my dear buddies here tell me it improves and I believe them.  I used to call oxy the apathy drug, it made me not care about so many things that needed doing.  Also, I didn't see myself as an addict, a middle class woman with successful children and spouse.  Daughter a teacher, son a Jr. in college but me who previously made my money as an artist had just quit.  I have had a few moments of inspiration and my torch is waiting for me to fire it up again.  I'll keep up with the community as it is helping me so much and will help anyone I can.  good luck to all getting ready to get off! Jan
ive never posted on any thing so unsure how to do this, im 35 with 4 girls and 3 granddaughters. i was using about 10 750s hydro's a day. it all started when i got a damaged back nerve and i couldnt find a doc to help me it only took a moth and i surly found one. she would give me any thing    i wanted as long as i kept my appointments.Every thing happen so fast from 2 a day to 10 a day felt like over night.i  got back injections and they really did help so i was lying to doc just for more pills. i have stoped using all on march 31,2012 ts only been like 10 days. after i realized i was hooked i begged my doc to take me off of them. he said NO WAY.so i found another doctor that gave me 8 meds clonidine also  stuff for restless legs and and stomach pllls. I knew i couldnt afford this doctor but he said he would see me with out paying now i owe him over 2000 doctors for that one detox visit.  still have alot of pills and really trying not to take unless i need them.
  I still feel horrible No energy legs are killng me and havent slept for more then 3 hours straight in over a week. yesterday i woke up great and said wow its finally over, well that was a lie and woke up today feeling bad again.
   I have a 6 month old 2 yr and 2 4 yr olds also a 12 yr old to take care of.  cant do it im over whelmed and my brain keeps telling me get yr meds you will be fine one wont hurt but i know one can kill me. im always trying to please everyone and im falling apart.
  nobody new how bad i was taking them i would run out then secretly go buy on streets i would always lie about how many i had. lie after lie. was spending about 20-30 a day and i feel horrible about all the stuff  did.
   the worst part im worried about now is my brain feels like it is being squeezed all the time i feel dizzy and cannot drive..  dont even know if that is from withdrawals or something else??  feel like im not even here like im in a house full of smoke. if any one can tell me if they have felt like that before id feel a little better.

I am on day 22 and did it basically same as you!
Did you have blurred vision and confusion?

yes i did, im getting alot better day 13 for me, my dizzyness and confusion comes and goes, yesterday i finely drove.Now i have a million things to do and afraid to drive again.
   I was to excited i slept threw the night i got PMs but i slept for 7 hours straight..im almost out of all the meds but ill be ok im getting better and better every day. i was so mad at every one cuz they lied to me and 3-4 days of withdrawals well they LIED. im still not even 50 percent better but im getting there. every day im prouder and prouder of my self. last night i was in alot of pain and once again my brain starts thinking ill feel better with just one pill. I was very strong. how are you felling on day 22? im realy curious i cant wait to get there.
I like your comment! I currently am going cold turkey from 10mg norco 4 times a day, but of course, I started needing more. I realize that one of the symptoms of withdrawawl with in the first 12 to 24 hours is the restless syndrome, I actually have a way a dealing with that.  I would get out of bed (because it usually happened at night) and I would start lifting weights, I would lift them until my arms felt like they were going to fall off, and then I would do squats until my thighs felt like they were going to fall off, it didn't matter what time of day or night I would just pick up the weights.  The feeling I got was a very over tired muscle feeling which took away the restlessness.  It really works.  I am now in the diarrhea stage but that will go away as well.  But I think that if you think that you might have to go back on them sometime in the future that you just shouldn't think about quitting now.  I have fibromyalgia so I hurt all the time, but I would rather put up with the pain than ever take these again.
I hae done almost the exact same drugs and workouts as you hae. I thought you were me, writing about myself. Bezos are the worst by far.  I was on them for 4 years. Then the doc took me off them cold turkey, the same was the oxycontin.  I hallucinated, walked in my sleep, cried for no reason, intense sweats, .  I slept for several weeks.  I een anticipated suicide.  My advice to anybody, take these meds for a ery short time and get off them.  I donot wish this on anybody.  Good luck
Hi everybody I am here cause I want off I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense but I don't know what else to do. I have been taking anything I can get my hands on for the past 3 years following my 2nd back surgery at the age of 23. I fell into it hard for I was a recovering addict already so my Dr prescribes me 30 mg oxycodone monthly inwhich I am out of in the matter of 3 days so that leaves me taking about 26 on a good day 30 on a day that things don't go my way the rest of the time I come out of pocket its like I started out trying to rid the leg pain I have from the nerves in my back and not liking the pills to chasing the high to trying to not be sick and feel normal and healthy and I know what I have been doing is not healthy but at this point comming off can't be healthy I'm a mess and I am responsible for 2 small children like this mind u. However I know I have a problem and by the grace of my boyfriend he cut me down rapidly to 7 5mg oxycodne and I am at 34 hours without anything and I want to die please somebody help me tell me what to do and how long I have to suffer in hell
I just went through this yesterday.  I took my last dose on Wednesday, and today I feel completely normal.  The symptoms were at their absolute worst yesterday.  I was anxious, crying for no reason, in tons of pain, sweating and  had chills at the same time, and hadn't slept more than 2 hours at a time since Thursday.  So I guess the bad news is that you're probably going to be feeling bad for the next few days, but the good news is that it's worth it.  I feel great.
I'm 28 and have had 3 surgeries in the last 4 months. They put me on both vicodin and oxy all three times. After surgery I'd take 2 pills every 4hrs as needed so up to 12 5/500 a day. After I ran out after each surgery i remember getting really sick and not knowing why. This last surgery I finally realized that I was having wd's from the first 2. So this last time I was taking about 4-6pills a day. When I figured out that I was going to have major wd's from that many pill I started taking less and less. I went from 5pills to 3 pills a day in 1 day then kept that up for about 3days then went down to 1 pill a day for 2 days. Then I ran out. I felt weak, tired, headaches, terrible RLS only at night. I took my last pill monday april 23 and it is now friday 27 and I feel 75% better. Still a little tired but moods good feeling better. Things I did to help me get through.

Wean yourself- even if its for a couple days to a week anything helps.

Rest- I sent my kids to the sitter for 4days and called in sick.(I noticed the  more stress I had the worse the wd's are. Believe me take a couple days off and do nothing.

Eat neutral foods- Bread, broth, soups, rice, chicken seemed to help for me.

Bananas-They have potassium and that helps with RLS which is terrible. I would eat about 3-4 a day.

Water-7-up and Powerade- 7-up helped with the upset stomach and I really like the Powerade Zero( it has Vitamin B3, B12, B6, Magnesium and potassium also) Just keep drinking it helps flush the system.

Alprazolam( Xanax)- this will help with anxiety. You will have to get a perscription but it helps wonders.

Cyclobenzaprine(muscle relaxer) I had some left over from when I hurt my back 9months ago and it really seemed to help with the muscle cramps. If you can't get this Just take tylenol or ibuprofen.

Benadryl-a must have. I'd take 2 every night before bed and slept like a baby. I'd alway take 1- 0.5 Alprazolam 1 hour before the benadryl.

Immodium- for diarrhea.

Baths- hot baths really helped with the muscle aches.

The wd's were nothing this last time compared to the 2 times before. I felt aches, RLS, bad moods, and just tired but I slept good and took about 2 naps every day. Plus slept 8+ hours every night. Im on 4 1/2  days now and I feel so much better. Just give yourself the time to feel better. I watched a lot of movies/tv and took bathes.I'm going shopping today to get out of the house and start moving again. I wish everyone the best of luck and keep looking forward.
it been over 29 days for me i finally felt 100 percent more then 2 weeks ago. vics are still on my mind most of the time. i even dream about takeing. i know this is late but hoping you stayed clean and are feeling better, this to shall pass, i was bad and felt like the whole world could never under stand this. then i came here and felt so much better no one in my family understands. they can never imagine what i wen threw. i dont even know if they care. all i know is i have tiny babies that need me and i know they care. they keep me going and they are my life i look at them and thank god they are here to keep me strong, some thing i just hug them for no reason they dont know why but i do. my poor 4 yr old would wake up and say mommy are you still sick, all i could do was cry and so i was so sorry i was so sick taking them and then coming off of them. i couldn't even think. i dont wanna scare any one because getting off of these is so much better and the being sick part is just the reminder and the punishment we have caused our bodies. if i were to to a crime i would be punished in jail its the same thing. i have to forgive my self for the damage ive done to my poor babies.. if any one wants to massage me im on face book under shannon wauchek.. Im doing the best i can and maybe we can talk each other out of using if we need each other.
Hey everyone its nice to read your story. I have chronic pain mainly because I am overweight. I take 3-5 norco per day. I have been on them for about a two years now and I tell you that withdrawl (withdrawal) does not come easy. I read the storys where folks take up to 20 per day. Yikes! Each month I take more than I should and usally run out a week before my refill date. I have gone through 11 withdrawls in the last 18 months. I am on day 3 right now and it kind of ***** but its not that bad. I get the chills, goosebumps, fatigue (a lot in the first 2 days), and the runs (I learned to take imodioum because it is an opiod that does not cross the blood brain barrier, but it binds your opiod receptors in your intestines) to control the diarhrea.

I'm lucky because I worry about becoming extremely addicted to the stuff. I would say that most days I take them 70% pain management/ 30% for the good feeling. I withdrawl (withdrawal) to basically reset my tolerance level each month or every other month. This is were most people over dose because they think they can handle what they were taking prior to withdrawl (withdrawal). TAKE THIS AS A WARNING. Bottom line is opiods are abused to some extent in 90% of the cases (made up fact but look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself do I really need this drug?), but they are still a medical necessaty. It allows me to do things I never did before like bike riding, playing ball with the kids, ect. There is a difference between a physical dependance and addicitons. The most important thing is to be open with your doctor about your tolerance. If you feel like it is getting out of control... it already has.

To answer the questions for someone taking 4ish (10's) each day.
Day 1: 3-4 hours past the last does. Extreme fatigue. Solution: Sleep.
Day1: Bedtime. Sleep with a fan to combat the "sweats". Stretch your legs. As hard as this may sound run up and down the stairs a few times.
Day 2: Diahrea. I take immodium (consult your physician). Chills - keep warm. Fatigue - Nap. You may have the sensation of pins and needles in your skin - Tough it out. Also reading others storys helps.
Day 3: Same symptoms as day 2. They may get a bit worse but I get used the them. I acidently dropped a can of green beans on my toe and it hurt 1000 then it would have if I wasnt recovering. Funny thing is 10 minutes later I felt "normal" but within the hour my w/d symptoms returned. So I would recomment physical excersize (I know its hard but it will help).
Day 4: You may rejoin the world. You will feel weak but you are on the hump of getting "better".
Day 5: The gradual return to normal. Physical w/d symptons almost gone. Now its mostly mental.
Day 6-7: Mostly mental. Find someone or read, read, read if you want to kick the "habit" for good.

Good luck to everyone that goes through this. Congrats to those who succeed. If you fail keep trying, it dont make you a bad person.
Hey man your wife is lying to you. Not because she is a bad person by any means but the drug is very powerfull. Coming of 16 per day cold turkey would be pure hell. It would be torture for her. Litterally. Keep an eye on here and ween her off. If she is not taking them for medical purposes its people like her (again not that she is a bad person) that ruins it for people who takes them for legit reasons.

She may need proffetional trreatment. She will thank you in the end but may fight you in the beggining. Good luck.
i personally am now on day 4...after taking vicodin and norcos for about 6 years...i would get them precribed and of course i would run out early then found out how easy it was to buy them off of the street to fill in the times between refills.....what bothers me the most is that my wife thinks i have been clean since last feb but relapsed in June and i hate myself for for it.  i figured that she is out of town on work for 6 days it would be smart for me to start the process again since she would not be here for the 1st few days of the withdrawl (withdrawal) process.  i would give ANYTHING to be able to know what it felt like before i started this opiate rollercoaster!!  

My main question is after the physical withdrawal symptoms cease, how long does it take to be right mentally.  Its like my mind is my worst enemy in this process!!  
I am new here and am reading some mighty scary things.  I never thought I would be here, metaphorically speaking of the website and the condition in which I find myself.

I am a 46 year old man that has lived with chronic pain and an autoimmune disease for years.  I find myself in a cycle that I can't get out of and don't know what to do.  I have been taking Vicodin for about 20 years with only a couple of years off the drug in the middle.  I have been getting pain scripts from my doctor in 7.5 & 10 mg Vicodin interchangeably receiving 180 pills every 45 days.

I am finding myself running out before I get the next script.  Usually I am running out 2 weeks or more from when I can get the script refilled.  During this time, I experience all of the withdrawal symptions and barely make it to the next filling.  So, I have this cycle and every month I am doing the temporary withdrawal thing.  This is horrible to say the very least.

I can't seem to control myself to make the meds last until the next filling.  When in fact, I think I need to just get off the ride.  I cannot even speak to the changes/affects this has on my wife and four kids.  Every hour is a struggle.  They say that Vicodin stops the brain from producing endorphens so people who are addicted have only the euphoria of the drug to provide the good feeling of life...if it exists.  There are many out there like me struggling and fighting not living.
This is an old thread you may not get a reply here
I first posted in Sept 2011.

I came back today b/c I needed a little strength, I am in pain and don't really want to take any Vic. but want my pain to stop.

Prospective if you just stop you will probably go through very unplesent 7-10 days....but you can stop.

You sound like you need the meds for pain so here is another way to stop.
If you take 6 pills a day then today only take 51/2 and tmrw only 5 and the next day only 4 1//2   you can get off it sloww that way.....there will be times of the day you will just want to take more ....the feeling passes if you can keep yourself busy. durring the tough times......

You can do this! You just have to start and stick with it.....xanex helps but you can get addicted to that too so becareful if you do that, over the counter Neproxin Aleave helos withthe pain ( take it with food or pepsid)

Wow this thing has been going for years!  I just wanted to see if there were people out there who are experiencing what I'm going thru.  I'm now on day 20. After almost 4 years of vicodin, percoset,  tremedol, and oxycobtin abuse.  I was originally prescribed vics for pain due to a accident.  2 years later i was out by week 1. So is buy from who ever had it.  I began snorting and smoking oxy.  At that point it just got me thru the day.  I didn't even get the sane high. I spent about a grand every 2 weeks on this stuff.  Well I woke up one day out of everything and just decided to go cold turkey. Wow what a week !!!  Week 1 is the worst but got thru it.  I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey , but for me it was my only choice.   I ended up going to my Dr on the 3rd day but to make sure ny body was doing fine. A little dehydration and high blood pressure , but thankfully nothing to serious.  I had to work my full 45 hr week during all this and the one thing that helped was Red bull and lots of water and fruit. Oh and vitamins.   I am so so glad to be done.  The emotional side of recovery suck but I kept myself busy so I ouodnt think too much.  I read this blog day in and out just to know what I'm getting myself into. I appreciate u all sharing air stories.  Good luck if ur about to kick this habit. Hope this helps someone.  If u have any questions ask away.    
ive had a struggle with opiates for several years.  i had finally kicked the addiction last year when i was rushed to the hospital... I ended up being there for almost a month with pancreatitis... They had me on dilaudid and fentanyl.. so after i was released i was given norcos and before you know it i was back on the pills... I have been taking them everyday since i was hospitalized in november 2011.  Finally i decided to stop taking them... I started dropping doses big time.. I was taking about 20 norcos a day or taking roxicotins 30mgs about 4-6 of those a day... Just a few months ago my doctor started prescribing me extra strength percocets so my addiction got worse.  Well as of 40 hrs ago i have not taken any pills and my last dose of pills was only 3- 725 vics.  I feel the withdrawals once again and i always wonder how long it will last... Im tired of having to take them to feel better it is a ****** feeling.. I havent slept but i dont feel horrible.  I THINK when u taper off of them especially if u r taking high dosages of pills it is 100 times better.. The last time I detoxed from opiates it was from methadone and that was really hard... What i dont recommend is to ever get on the maintenance plan that the clinics try to push u to stay with and just do the 21 day detox plan... Suboxen is no joke and should only be taken for a few days... anymore and you will regret it.  I have taken probably every opiate in the book and loved them at first but then i just grow to hate it.  What ***** is that my work has been suffering cuz i have been not feeling well and my energy level has been low.. I still am struggling with whether or not to take another small dose of vics b4 work so i can function better... I dont think i will though hopefully i wont lose my job because of these stupid withdrawals... Im hoping that ill be better within the next day or 2 at least  with the nausea and sleeplessness and the awful leg kicking issues... for the most part the leg issues have seemed to subsided but the sleeplessness has not... i guess it just needs to run its course once again... What ***** is that my friend is getting his prescription of 180 roxicotins today and has already called me last night to see if i want them..My mind says no but my body says yes... So who do i listen too??
This is my 1st time ever posting I have come to read at nleast a thousand of these in the past few months im on a mission here to stop as everyone is, bad thing is i connect with every story I have read I started whenI had surgery never took a pill up till then Im 45 now and for the past 5 yrs wow Im bound and determind to kick these Ive only seen day 3 and was a total mess every morning I wake I dont have any then by noon seems they show up somehow I had gonen to m,y doctor which prescribed them and got me going on them and asked hime for help getting off them he says "he cannot prescribe the suboxin"but can refer me to a clinic since i was wanting to stop i went there and they wanted to put me in a bed for about 8 days well NO way Ive been hiding this beast from family and friends I have to say Im very strong willed these are enormously hard but I WILL do it funny thing is I seem to justify taking them saying oh I could be doing worse well guess what  I can also be doing better I went to the salvation army locally here in jackson michigan I didnt know this place even exhisted till i needed food i was jobless the lady there really picked me up and has called me almost daily she is the 1st one who seems to really care i can talk to her very openly which i have,she has got me a job, Im getting back on track utilitys and my rent are all caught up now its the  dark side to be fixed I just called and am waiting for mid south substance abuse to call me back I promise if I had a million bucks I would give every last dime to m,y recovery thats how bad I want this I will try to keep everyone up-dated as the posts here have helped me emensly i dont feel like im the looser its such a private thing to go through  when people see me on my 2nd day runny nose  sick ****** I lie to them and say I have alergys or I havent slept god bless all who has gone through or is going through this  worst thing Ive ever gone through  so far in life I wish I had a hang out buddy to kinda help me with honest and caring attitude I havent anyone only my father who lives 90 miles away and I could never talk to him about this he will just  get angry please feel free with comments as I need you guys more than ever  peace to all Dean ----***@****
MY HUSBAND WAS ON SUBOXONE FOR 6 MONTHS HE DECIDED TO QUIT COLD TURKEY AND ENDED UP IN A VERY BAD STAGE OF DEPRESSION. FOR THE FIRST 2 DAYS HE WAS VERY VERY IRRITABLE AND AGGRESSIVE AND THEN BY DAY 3 HE FELL INTO DEPRESSION FOR EVERYTHING THAT HE HAD DONE PRIOR. LONG STORY SHORT HE ENDED HIS OWN LIFE. I REALLY BELIEVE THAT DRUG PULLED THE TRIGGER. HE HAD MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO BEING DEPLOYED. BUT QUITING COLD TURKEY FROM THAT DRUG I REALLY FEEL AS IF TOOK HIS LIFE. HE WAS LAYING THERE ON OUR BED CRYING TO ME AND THEN THE NEXT THING I KNOW I HEAR THE SHOT. SO BE CAREFUL QUITING THAT CRAP COLD TURKEY. THESE DRUGS ARE NOTHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH. I KNOW THAT HE HAD ALREADY SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION, BUT I REALLY BELIEVE THAT IF HE WOULD OF WINGED DOWN JUST MAYBE HE WOULD BE HERE.
I have been an addict for about 12 years I have been addicted to every drug you can be. I have over time got off of everything but after a recent car accident I was put on Vicodin it's been about 8 months and I wish the accident would have killed me! Im sick and tired of living this way I swore that I would never go back to this way of life but here I am. Im going cold Turkey starting tomorrow so say a prayer im going to need all that I can get!!!
I am very sorry to hear about your story,which made me cry. I have not posted but have a problem with vic for the past 6 years as does my husband which makes it hard to quit because he refuses to see the problem. We have 5 children who have no idea.  Very sorry for your loss. These pills are messed up.
I'm goin threw it rite now...I been taking 4 vike 10 everyday for 5 years.  This is my first day off of them.....I am all messed up...depressed..not sure what's goin to happen to me...but no matter what I'm not turning back....I wish my doc never put me on vikes....but I'm strong and I know the sooner I stop taking vikes the better ill feel...ill post how I feel 2moro....I'm having a hard time already...I feel like I'm on fire...I feel like I don't even want to live anymore..and this is my first day....I prey that god helps me with this even tho its my falt I took vikes all these years... I keep reading its goin to take a few weeks to get threw this...ill keep you posted..
I like your story, i can releate in a big way. Would like to talk to you about it some more if you find you have the time.:)
Dude Vicodin ain't **** Bro!  Man up and keep busy.
Hey everyone, This is an old post but i figure if i found this thread so will the next recovering addict, I've been addicted to Vicodin 750's and 10-325 Narcos for approximately 4 years, Today is day one of quitting cold turkey, I'm a strong person when it comes to this kind of thing, I have stopped with little problems before but always came back because the drugs felt good, and i enjoyed the high. I was taking about 4-6 a day. Quit cold turkey, so far my symptoms as of Today (day one) I'm feeling weak, irritable, hard time breathing, giddy, and very very very depressed, thought about commiting suicide a lot of times, but my strong will overcame the thoughts. This isn't easy by any means, but i'm sure I can make it, keeping possitive and keeping active are key to keeping strong, the key to not relapsing i think is going to be from keeping note of how horrible quitting is, and in the future when I think about taking more again, ill just read how horrible it is to quit, and i should be smart enough not to want it again.. To anyone reading this, you are surely not alone, and quitting is possible, just keep your chin up, and know that things will get better, you've gotten this far, no point in going back.. Peace and love to other recovering addicts.
You may want to start your own post! That way you can get more immed support. How are you doing?
i have been taking Vicodin scene December because of a knee injury and about a month and a half ago i got off of them and haven't taken any at all but I'm still having the painful withdrawals is this normal and if so what cani do to help it??  
I read your post. I am hopeful it went well. I am getting ready to stop. I tried to get help from spouse. Not going to happen so I'm on my own. Any advice would be so appreciated. Boise
im on day 3, 72 hours and im hardly getting any withdrawals at all. ive been taking hydrocodone 10/325 about 2-4 a day for the last year. I really thought this would be worse. given i am achy and have a mild headache and very minor leg cramps but nothin too bad. does this mean i wont get the nausea and stuff.? I mean isnt day 3 supposed to be the worst or do i still have more to come?????
I have a crazy pill addiction and I need help. When I was younger I was told I had scoliosis. It had always bothered me but I was young and could deal with the minor pain. The addiction started 2 yrs ago when I slipped and fell off of a deck. Went to the ER and they said that I had bruised my tailbone and my lower back really bad. They gave me a script for 15 5/325mg percocet.  3 days later I followed up with my family Dr who prescribed 60 vicodin. Then another 40 vicodin a few weeks later.  I was hooked. :(  My Dr wouldn't give me any more when I asked for more after that.  God bless him!!  I should of stopped right there!! But I was still in sooooo much pain, so I went to a chiropractor a couple months later because I couldn't stand the pain any more.  The 3 times that I went there and he adjusted my back I left bawling my eyes out.  He then ordered a bone scan and MRI.  I had broke several vertebrae and several ribs according to the bone scan and MRI. The bones didn't heal right because nobody knew they were broken. I also was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, which didn't have anything to do with the fall.  But the fall started to send shooting pains out into my shoulders and up my neck due to the degenerative disc disease. The pain was excruciating and I didn't want to go back to the chiropractor because it just made the pain worse.  He ended up sending me to pain management.  Biggest mistake of my life!!!!!!  The pain management Dr prescribed me 60 vicodin. (2 a day for 30 days)  I took them as prescribed for the first couple months. Then I started taking more and more up to 4-6 a day because as we all know you end up building up a tolerance.   I eventually told him that I need something stronger. So he switched me to percocet 5/325mg (2 a day for 30 days).   Again I started taking them as prescribed for the first few months.  The percocet made the pain go away for about 3 hrs at a time.  So I started taking them every 3 hrs instead of every 12 hrs.  I was taking up to 5 of them a day.  Obviously I ran out before my next appt. so I started buying them off of a friend, who got them from a friend, etc.  Now I was taking 10-15 of them a freakin day!!!!!!  WTF???  I was spending over $1,000 a month on these stupid things!!  When I couldn't find any or ran out I would go through the crazy withdrawl (withdrawal). (sweating, restless legs, absolutely no sleep, crapping my brains out up to 20+ times a day....that's gross I know but everyone on here knows what I'm talking about, mood swings, depression, etc.)  Every time I would go through that for a couple days, before I could get more, I promised myself I would quit doing this to myself!!  But as soon as I got that call or text I would run out immediately and get more.  I got so sick of all of this s**t I ended up calling my family Dr and told him what was going on. I asked him if he could put me on suboxone, cause I heard that helps with the withdrawl (withdrawal).  Apparently he couldn't prescribe suboxone.  You'll never guess what he did......he gave me more PILLS!!!  40 vicodin......Really???  I tell you I have an addiction to pain pills and you give me more?!?!?!  Anyways, I was supposed to ween myself off of them (4 for 4 days, 3 for 4 days, 2 for 4 days, 1 for 4 days and then stop)  Easier said than done!!  But I did well and I took the pills like I was suppose to.  Until the last day.......My boyfriend is also in pain management for a herniated disc.  He gets 120 10mg percocets a month.  He got them the last day of me weening off of them. So, I started taking the percocet again of course because I have no will power....up to 5-10 10's a day.  When I can't get percocet I can usually find vicodin.  I go back and forth between the two. I can't do this any more!!  I have decided that I am completely fed up with this and I want to stop!!  I have vicodin left that I am going to try and ween myself off again instead of going cold turkey cause that is absolute HELL!!!!  My boyfriend is going to quit cold turkey.  We promised each other that we wouldn't go back to pain management to get any more or try to find any more on the "street."  I hope and pray that this works!!!  Wish me luck!!  And good luck to all of u!!  PILLS ARE THE DEVIL!!!!  I HATE THEM!!!!
Hey. Do this: Select all the text you just posted and copy it (control-c or command-c on a Mac). Go to the top of this page and hit "Post A Question". Type in a title and then go to the body area and paste your post from here (control-v or command-v on a Mac). This is an old thread and you'll get a lot more support if you post a new thread. -B
Thanks Ben727....I did that.  I really appreciate your help!!
Hi AnGie, Just wanted to say good for you and i hope you are doing very well now. Took a lot of guts to do what you did and you should be very proud of yourself. I to am a addict and am trying very hard to get off i am going to trying weening off but i do not have very many so that will not be easy. But this is a great with lot's of cool people with the same problems and it sure helps to talk to some one who knows what you are going thru. If you have any advice i could sure use some. Thanks for sharing your story, and i hope you have a wonderful life after this!
Great comment.  I'm day 2 of my first withdrawal and it is the worst thing ever (15 -20 10/325 Norcos a day for 4 years)!  It is very comforting to know how many people are going through this besides just me.  You do feel very much alone and depressed as I've come to find out.  I have no one else that can relate with me on this and was a nice breath of fresh air reading your post.  Thanks again for the tips and info on how to make recovery a little bit easier.
Help please..Ive been taking 8-10 Vicodins a day. I saw myself getting low so I tried weening myself off bcuz I knew it was wrong. I loved the feeling but no one around me knew. So yesterday was my first day off. Horrible horrible horrible. When will this withdraw get any better?! I find myself
Cryin, shaking, begging my husband to take me to a rehab so they can make me feel better..any suggestions?!? Please help..
You people don't know what withdrawal from opiates really is. I have been addicted to these things after a surgery 2 years ago and eventually began taking 60 norco tens per day. Yes that's 600mgs of hydrocodone a day. Imagine the withdrawals from that when I was forced to quit cold turkey in jail for writing my own scripts. Quit you're complaining people who have been on 4-6 vics a day and are having problems getting off them. Just putting the real vengeance of withdrawal in your heads for what I went through. Good luck anyway.
Am so glad i found this site. I read so many stories am not so scared i was afraid i may die when i stop.  Am going cold turkey tomorrow  and not by choice at least not by my head my heart happy my head said your crazy you dont have the time to stop right now of course that silly  I will power through this I like myself but I havent lately am over three years taking 20mg a day and i do feel the change it has done on me i want the old me back am sad i got my self here again i got 15 years clean off street drugs here i am doing it again but be legal for shame.  I just got tried of hurtting all the time  but this addiction isnt worth it ill put up with the pain   thatnks again for all your support ill be back
I've been on Vicodin for the past three years due to back pain from car accidents. I have had four steroid injections with no success in my L 4/5 herniated disc. I have been past around to different doctors with no help on a fix. I have done  many things like chiropractors, dry needleing, energy healing and more. I get temp. Relief. I just started taking more than perscribred at one time the past week and I still get little relief. I have a child to look after and I don't want her to see me get more irritable than I already feel. I take about 7 pills a day. I have no more left and I thought it would only take me a weekend to deal, but after reading everybody's story I'm so scared. I already have pain and now I have to deal with withdraws. Has anyone found a home remedy that helps with the withdraws? I feel for everyone going through this because we started the medicine because a doctor has no other solution to our pain. I never took medication before, even over the counter.  I had migraines from age 12-25 and delt with them with no drugs. I had labor with a migraine for 27 hours natural. I can take pain well, but this pain I have had for the past three years is bad, so I took the Vicodin, but never steeped up to the stronger drugs in fear of addiction. If I had no pain I would not take Vicodin, but now I realize the help for the pain makes a whole other problem and pain. I'm now in 40,000 in credit card debit trying to find a solution and no one can give me an answer. I'm 39 and feel like I'm 100 and dying. All I do I'd lie in bed on a heating pad. I'm lucky to have a sweet husband and a good child. I try to focus on the good. I'd like to hear how it goes for you that quit cold turkey so please write back. I'll do the same and pray for you all to be strong. Maybe these posting can help us get through our tough times.
Thanks! Bubbles
I am a little over 2 months from going cold turkey from vicodin. The withdrawals are the worst as we all know. I got tired of instead of pain management places helping you they treat you like a felon. I just wanted to help coming off the meds I was on but the more I thought about it a patch would just keep giving me the opiates that I was trying to get away from.
Never been a believer of acupuncture but a friend told me to try it that it couldn't hurt. Best thing i did. going cold turkey it helped combat the toxins that are going through your blood system it settles it down. I went twice a week and also took a Natural Pain reliever I got there called Angelica Root it help so much with the muscle and bone aches which was bad first 2 weeks but better each day that past. If you have yawning,sneezing, and runny nose take benadryl it helps a lot. Loose stools I used a anti-diarrhea over the counter med to help. NOW remember the over the counter stuff only use to get you through the first 2 to 3 weeks cause they can get addictive too your body. If you like baths I don't but take HOT baths with epsions salt it will open your pores to bring out the toxins to.I took pain meds  for 16 years and heavy for the last 5 years. 16 to 20 pills a day Jan to June. I went cold turkey July 27th,2012 and now its October 8th,2012 IT is hard but you can do it. DON'T sit around stay active as you can more you sweat the quicker the toxins come out. When your body says I'm tired and I don't feel like getting up to do anything GET up and go for a walk,do dishes, clean something to take your mind off the withdrawals symptoms.
I hope this helps and I will pray for you that you may get through this. Remember God is good and he never will give up on you.
Kent
Its day 7 now and just getting over the withdrawals. very mild  taking 10 vics a day. I used my own weaning system 10-10-10-9-9-9-8-8-8-8-7-77-6-6-6-5-5-5-4-4-4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2-1-1 done after 30 days. I feel great still allitle sick once in a while but i have my kids and family back and im so excited. boy did this take over my life stay focused and keep busy and it will go away, good luck
I read your post and feel exactly the same on everything! I get so deathly ill if I run out, which happens often. I tried a few moths ago to go off, got to day 7 and was still as sick then as I was the first few days, my symtoms (symptoms) never got any better and I gave in and started taking them again. I wish you luck!
I read your post and saw It's been a couple weeks since you wrote it. I was wondering if you are finally feeling better now and how many days it took you to feel better. I got to day 7 a few months ago but never felt any better and ended up relapsing. I was just curious how you are feeling today or if you relapsed.
what ever you do don't give in!!! you have gotten this far and that is AWESOME! many folks on here would love to be where you are including me! Stay strong and give it time, things have to start getting better where you don't think about them all the time.
VICODIN WITHDRAWAL HELP!  I'm a 62 year old man who recently broke my hip and leg and was in the hospital for 9 weeks on 24mg of dilaudid a day.  My Doctor sent me home with more dilaudid same dose 4mg every 6 hours.  Finally I ran out and he prescribed hydrocone 10/500 1 pill every six hours of course I had to double dose for some reason, not because of pain but because I am ill from the pills without them I get extremely sick.  Now my doctor put me on 5/100 Vicodin to get me off the pills 1 every 6 hours X 2 days, 1 every eight 8 hours for 1 day, then 1 a day for 3 days.  I didn't make it.  I've been taking 2 every six hours and have two pills left and am very ill.  I read everyones stories and feel like an extreme light weight headed into cold turkey and I'm scared.  I'm taking massive does of vitimins and antioxidents and experiencing all the w/d symptoms and more - I'm severely sick and haven't ever been through anything like this before and feel alone and really want to end the pill thing.  I don't understand why my withdrawals are so bad with such low doses and duration compared with the other people on the list.  I've been bouncing from one drug to another and I'm sick without them and they make me sick when I take them and I'm caught in the middle and don't know what to do.  Today I've taken 4 5/100 vicodins and only have two left.  I'm dreading what happens after that.  Can someone help me understand what I'm facing next?  If I feel like this now what awaits me when the two I have left are gone.  Its a real roller coaster ride that I don't want to be on.  Any suggessions or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. You have no idea how much this post has helped me.
I am 24, and have been taking Vicodin and Perks for a year ish due to a car wreck and a very painful disease... I can not do it anymore.

I recently got accepted to graduate school; biggest opportunity of my life and i am destroying it because of these F****** pills.

I am on day 4 of withdrawals, sobriety, whatever you want to call it. Feel like death. Crying constantly, can't eat, sleep, MIGRAINES. But I know it will get better. I know it will.

Hydro/Oxy change the shape of neural firing within the synapses. That is why they work so well at first; your body isn't used to it so it blocks the pain. But you build a tolerance because your body continues to try and regulate itself, so you have to take more and more to change the shape of the neurons. After a while, the pain comes back, but your neurons are already changed, and there is nothing more you can do... so you take more and more, or you stop. If you take more, you prolong the amount of time it will take for the neurons to change back, or risk permanent brain damage if you take it for too long. SO DON'T DO IT. We are all going through this hell, if you're still on it, stop. If you are able to read and use a computer, you're not in enough pain to use.

Yeah, the pain relief is great at first. You feel AMAZING; have energy and feel like you can do anything. But after a while, you become a slave to the drugs and it is not worth it to continue. You CAN STOP! Stay strong! I am stopping NOW, I am going to finish grad school, start a great job, and get my strength and happiness back. It'll take some time, and I will have to brave this hell ALONE, but it won't be forever. Then I will be ME again! Tell me what you are going to do when you stop!
Oh, one more thing. If your doc keeps giving you scripts, get a different doc! Doctors view their patients as customers, so they prescribe addicting drugs to get you to come back! This is not skepticism, it's the truth.

Anyone with a conscious, or who went to a ligit med school will know that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
I am sorry to say this, but your age is a big factor. It will take longer for your withdrawals. But I bet you are feeling much better now huh??? I hope you didn't relapse :( It is sooooooo not worth it.
Urgent!  Need Help with stomach cramps.  I am 16 days clean from diliaud, hydrochodone 10/500 and other prescription opiates.  I'm still having serious stomach cramps.  I had to quit cold turkey.  Have tried all the usuall stuff kaopectate, immodium, pepto bismal but the stomach cramps persist.  Could this still be part of the withdrawal?

Any suggestion appreciated.
Thank you for your reply.  Finally I had to give up on the Doctors and quick cold turkey with the Thomas Receipe.  All the DR's were doing is pesccriing more drugs and I wanted off.  I'm now 16 days clean but for some reason my stomach cramps are persisting with diaareha.  Could this still be a part of the withdrawal?

And want to mention NO RELAPSE opiates are poison.  I'd rather take rat poison and die quickly rather than the slow death of opiates I was facng.  Most things in my life are better now except the persistent stomach cramps.

Thanks again for replying.
Clean 16 Days.

I'm 62 year old male who broke my hip and femur by falling down on the cement.  Severe fractures.  Went to the hospital by ambulance and thats when my opiate dependency began.  The paramedice filled me up with  high doses of Fentanyl.  I went into the hospital on a Friday night and they didn't operate on me until Tuesday.  During that time I remained on very high doses of  Fentanyl and they added Dilaudid to the mix.  After the surgery I was layed up in the hospital for about 9 weeks still getting large doses of Fentanyl and Dilaudid.  Looking back I don't remember much except waking up scared and not knowing where I was.

Finally I was released from the hospital and was given Dilaudid to take home with me and was on it at about 24 - 28 mg per day for 3 months.  I told my surgeon that this was getting to be a problem so he changed me to hydrocode 10/500's.  1 every 6 hours.  Well I took 2-3 every four hours not for pain but for relief from the Dilaudid feeling.  This continued until my doctor tried to reduce me to 5/500's Vicoden.  Well that was a big disaster I couldn't survive on that.  I called him and he prescribed more 10/500's this time 2 every four hours.

I realized that this just wasn't working and that I was completely dependent.  They didn't make me feel high exactly they just made me feel somewhat normal.

Then I went to my GP and she prescribed more opiates with reduced dose.  This just didn't work either.  So ok long story short I finally made up my mind that I had to get off of this poison no matter how bad the pain in the hip.

So I used the Thomas Receipe.  I did have problems with the Valium withdrawal since I took 90 mg a day for 5 days then quit.  I think I'm still coming off of that but clean for 16 days also from that..

Well I'm drug free now for 16 days and I wish I would say it feels wonderfull but it doesn't.  I get confused with blurred vision and stomach cramps persist and I'm taking massive does of Pepto Bismal, Kaopectate and Immodium D and the diaahrea persists.  Also, I can't focus and I really need to as I'm the leading engineer for a company here in the states.  Also sleep still is a really big problem for me.  I just can't sleep.  In addition my legs hurt all the time - I take Potassium and that helps a little bit.

When I first started this imposed dependency quiting journey I wanted someone to do it for me, make it easy, feel no pain, but soon realized that it was up to me and me only.  Finding the list helped me to realize that I wasn't alone, but do others go this long with symptoms persisting?  How long could this madness go on.

I feel for everyone on this list who has to bear the pain and suffering it takes to get off of this stuff.  I've read all the stories and my heart really goes out to all, but if I can quit anyone can quit as I was as dependent as they come and I have a feeling the worst is really not over yet and I'm 16 days clean.  When will things get better?  When will I be able to think straight again and focus as I need to?  When will I finally sleep again?
Why don't I feel better after 16 days of being clean?  Please help me understand if you can.

Thank you for all your replys during my crisis

"My the good lord be with you down every road you roam"
Hey Michael.
Go see a doc to make sure everything is ok w your stomach. Hydrocodone can severely eat up the stomach lining. If they say everything is okay, then it is still the withdrawals. It will pass. But you don't want to be dousing your body with all kinds of stomach meds if something else is wrong- could make it worse. Go to the ER or your doc and tell them EVERYTHING about the withdrawals, etc. Ask them to make sure your stomach and GI system is okay. Do not accept any more medications! (unless there is something wrong with your stomach). It is going to be fine; just make sure you see a doc ASAP. Further, yes; the withdrawals can last a long time, especially considering your age. As I wrote in my above post, your age is a big factor. Those neurons have to change back to their normal firing.
Good luck to you! Stay strong
thanks to all for your words of wisdom and encouragement, i think what really helps me the most is knowing im not alone in this,as everyone here knows how lonely an opiate addiction can make you feel and become i haven't yet started my path to a better me, however visiting this site has given me the strength,courage and confidence to start!!!            
go to  www.klushskin.com get their pro botics that will help. and it is all natural. good luck :)
Hope you get off the pills soon.  God I know the feeling.  I'm reading these comments as most people got addicted because of true pain they were in.  I've been an addict ever since I tried cocaine and stopped that cold turkey no problem.  These pills are the devil no doubt.  Being 40 making great money and two beautiful boys I wanted to stop.  So I went to a detox dr. Here in so cal that is amazing.    Suboxone, lyrica, and chlonadine for blood pressure.  Wow.....I got right through it.   No withdrawal symptoms as I experienced cold turkey......those three drugs will get everyone through this.  
I don't know where you live but highly suggest seeing a detox doctor.  There is a very very good one in so cal...doctor Walter Thomas.  For those in need I suggest seeing him if in California.     You need to go see a detox pain med doctor and take lyrica which is for pain but not an opiate.    Good luck.
Thank you so much for your breakdown of how cold turkey recovery goes. Ive been on vicodin for the last 6 years and its consuming my life. All I think about is getting the drug by any which means. I'm on day 3 and am having depression and mood swings and so tired I can hardly walk. Try to take long walks at night to feel better but toss and turn all night and the weirdest dreams of my life. sweats come and go and I ache all over due to arthritis which is what got me started. I'm going to kick this **** out of my life once and for all. The other night at the food market I nearly jumped the counter to grab a bottle of them! WTF! Jail isn't the answer for treatment I just have to tough it out. Thanks again for the advice its very reassuring.
I've been taking vicodin n soma for the last 10yrs now...been getting scripts from Dr n anyway possible to feed my addiction ...I would take up to 10 of each everyday ....I've been wanting to quit so bad and told my self for the last cple years I want off of it but I guess I could always get my hands on some n I always had an excuse why I always need it in my life...but recently I got in trouble with the law concerning it...maybe it's a blessing in disguise cuz it gave me a reason now to have to quit ....been sober now going on 3 days...I have to say today was my worse i hope it gets better tomorrow ...pls if anyone have any advice I would love to hear it I just need to no I'm not alone....thanks
I have been addicted to Vicodin for over 5 years. I am a 27 yr old female. It started due to three surgeries and knee injuries so close together that I was prescribed pain killers for over a year. Since then I have been buying them at street cost and finding any form of hookup I could. Being a bartender they are never too far away. But I'm about to graduate and be a nurse! I can't keep doing this to myself, the people I love or my body. I have quit twice cold turkey. I found ibuprofen, alcohol, NyQuil and hot bath soaks to help but will agree no matter what it is absolute hell. These pills have affected my relationships terribly and I want to go back to being me. I am stronger than letting a stupid blue pill control me and my life. I have 12 pills left and after that... Here we go! Round 3 and I'm gonna make this one my last!!!  Any support would be greatly appreciated as I will support all of you as well! We are stronger than this! God bless
Hi and welcome..First I want to say congratulations on wanting to take your life back! This disease is tough but beatable!! I just want to point out that this is a VERY old thread so you should post on a new thread of your own so you can get support and advice for you. Just scroll to the top of the page where it says "post a question" and there ya go!

COngrats again and welcome!
I take vicodin everyday. been taking it since i was 16 and now im 28. I take it because i have sicklecell but i find myself taking 6 to 8 pills a day sometimes 10 to get me thru my day. im at the point where i feel like i need them to have a productive day. i take 2 in the morning i take about 4 within my eight hour work day. then i take 2 more when i get home and sometimes 2 before i go to bed.i have been trying to cleanse myself of violin. I've asked doctors for help but they just say with your sicklecell you have to take it. important taking to many and really need help. i never thought i was a addict out i am. i have been within vicodin for 2 days. the pain is terrible and all im thinking about is getting more pills. what should i do if anything to kick this addiction even with a blood disorder.
I had been on high dose vicoden for 7 months...took every four hrs every day....for severe back problems that need surgery to fix but I've done it once and the pain got worse so not really wanting to do again....trying PT and of course the meds....now I'm pregnant so my doctor stopped them for now....it was bad for two weeks I cold turkeyed it....and now almost 4 weeks later I'm still having trouble breathing...many tests run that show nothing....can this be a side affect? Still severe irritable leg symptoms which may have to do with pain in the back and or all the problems with my spine I'm assuming
I take 6 - 8 10/500 a day. Been taking for about 4 yrs. Is this a problem?
You got to walk during the withdraws so your body thinks the pain is from the exercise and not the pills.  This will help your mind convince your bodythat you are ok.
You have to get out and walk, so your body thinks it is the exersize that is making you soar.  It will help your mind as well.
hi pals. I 've iust had to kick codeine . Addicted fot 20 years. I tapered starting feb
By march I reached zero ..
Its april  and I feel good. Its not completely over .
My job is physical.  I did not stop working! No one ever noticed .

Youtube's
Aaroncohen
helped me a whole bunch.
look him up.

Its tough for long termers.
It might be 4 days of unpleasantness for some.
I quit cold turkey 15 years ago.
It took more than 2 month to feel normal.
I'm addicted to norco after taking it for 5 years for migraines.  Now I want to quit.  I stopped cold turkey 2 weeks ago with no symptoms, but now they are starting.  Chills, Hot flashes, headache, nausea, vomiitng, etc.  Can I do this alone?  Help.  How long will this last?
Viewing 201-400 comments: