Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Victim of Surgery

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Victim of Surgery

Hi.  I also am still suffering from a failed laminectomy in January.  It sounds like your back surgery didn't work and that it is still causing you great agony! I am taking 6 Norcos a day to just be able to function.  I have screaming leg pain, mostly in the left leg.  I guess my question to you is how does your doctor expect you to deal with the pain that is associated with your back if he is trying to get you off the pain meds that you need?  How are YOU going to handle the pain?  I would love to not need a narcotic to handle my failed back surgery but like you I have also used less narcotic to see just how bad my pain was and I can tell you I was trembling because it felt like someone was standing behind me running a blow torch up and down my back of my leg.  I have been through the wringer as far as surgery, MRI, mylegrams, etc.  Now my doc want me to do a fusion in July.  He says it will take care of the leg pain.  but I have read so much negative stuff about fusions and how those patients wished they never agreed to have one.  Their lives have been changed forever.  I just don't get how your doc can ask you to get off pain meds when you still have something wrong in your spine?  I have never been to a Pain Mgt clinic but I know there is no way stretching and deep breathing would fix me.  I would have another surgery if I was 99% sure that it would work for me.
By the way, I have been thinking about getting a T-shirt made with Victim of Surgery on it.  What a great name for those of us who feel that way.  I hate being "broken" like this! I hate what I am facing in the future.  I would gladly ge off narcotics if someone would stop the pain!

dakmba
Sorry to hear you are in all that pain. It sounds like you have been through alot.
It seems like you really need the med for pain right now. Hang in there! Best of luck.
Tim