Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vitamin Deficiency

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Vitamin Deficiency

It seems very common to get a cold/flu while detoxing/withdrawing - could this be because of the vitamin deficiency our bodies suffer from?  Incorporating a strong vitamin program in with your detox helps to offset some of the more painful effects.  
It is in anyones best interest to research the Thomas recipe, and I believe it is Avisg journal that gives great info on proper dosage. (I need to check & make sure I am giving credit when it is due!),  If you just use it as a guideline, you can always change things around to tailor it to your needs.
For my fiance and I, we elect not to use benzos, they were never our doc, and we just don't like them...the herbal remedies provides the necessary relief.
For those of you having trouble sleeping...try kava kava, valerian root or melatonin.  With melatonin...it will not work until you lay down and try to sleep in a dark room.  
Also, with the amount of pills most of us have taken and especially people on methadone...be sure to buy either soft gels, chewables, oral liquid or injectables...as our gut does not function properly and cannot brak down hardt tablets  Don't worry - the aminos help that proper funtion be restored.
Two of the the most important of the vitamins are magnesium and calcium, and also zinc.  You must take calcium with magnesium otherwise your body will rob its own supply processing the mag.  A good place to get those is  vitaminsthatwork.com - there is a CalMag & NaturalCalm w calcium - recommended to me by a doctor aware of the detox.  Also, injectable B12 about once per week for the first month.  I ordered some from Canada - it cost less than I anticipated...20 shots for $30.
Having a positive frame of mind makes a world of difference - that is evident just looking over the forum.
There are also certain gemstones with healing properties, certain color of candle to burn for healing, certain essential oils, etc.  If anyone would use that info...just ask.
Everyone here is so strong and compassionate - All of you are a huge part of our natural therapy!  You are our inspiration and we thank you.
good post.. I think it is absolutely necessary to have a post like this to help us as some people Including myself was completely unaware of what my body needed to cope after the meds left my system... I have found taking vitamins a great help and an absolute requirement.. thank you
perfect!  i was just going to post almost everything you just mentioned here....about the b-12 (which i got on monday), the magnesium....and ZINC is also extremely important.....did everyone here know that magnesium AND zinc deficiency speeds up the development of tolerance to all opiods?  i didn't know that til i read it this morning.....  anyway, great post....thanks for all of it!! :-)
K.
My w/d have been very minimal and I wonder if it is due to the fact that I have taken Vitamins even while taking the Lortab.....maybe....just a thought.....
I use a B-Complex that I mix with folic acid then Inject. Good post. The only thing I would say is to take those vitamins twice a day. That way there is a steady supply all day and all night. I also would make sure you add a strong probiotic 8 billion+.
I have stayed loaded up on vitamins and my wds were not as bad as many that I have read about....the EmergenC helps alot too,,,I also think exercise and just being healthy minded helps...eating well and staying hydrated
I neglected to mention that another remedy that helps with muscle aches is to add epsom salts to your hot baths.  I never realized that they are actually made to remove toxins from the body.
We took our first B12 injection - I will let you know how that goes.
I have noticed that I think I feel better when I chew up 2 multivits the day before.....
We dosed at 29 today...still feel ok (not great!)