Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
W/D Oxycontin/Oxycodone versus Nicotine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

W/D Oxycontin/Oxycodone versus Nicotine

Hey
Has anyone here done both : quit smoking ciggs and kicked off oxycontin , ya know i mean at different times? or your drug of preference/meds
I have smoked for 20 years. I tried quitting 2 times . it never stuck , was half hearted attempts though.

I am day 12 clean from oxycontin, and was just curious , at some later date, if it would be harder for me to quit ciggs . ? or vice versa?
  Hope all are well , its such a beautiful day
  going to hop on back outside for a bit .
  Mike
The only reason I am still nicotine-free is whyquit.com. Good luck!
thanks , ill check it out.
gotta jet .. foot killing me ,,bad day,, bad
I was thinking of quiting after I am clean for a month. I have tried in the past and failed. I think going through the narc w/d's will make quiting smoking much easier me. I might have cravings but not the terrible symptoms with withdrawal.

Scott, congrats!!!!  You have really done well with quiting DOC and cigs. Your wife must be so proud of you. I have followed your story and you really are an inspiration to this board.

Warmest wishes your way
M

thanks guys .. hmm think ill be waiting awhile..
i hate ciggs.. i can feel the damage alot worse now
  mike
When you do start your quit from cigs, please don't quit using nicotine replacement therapy or tapering. You will suffer needlessly. I will NEVER say don't taper from narcotics or benzos, but I'm telling you please don't taper from cigs.
i smoke a pack and a half now.and have smoked for over 20 years.i got thrown in jail for reckless driving.15 days.i swear the nicotine w/d was as bad as if not worse mentally than any other time i withdrew from opiates,alcohol,etc.right now i am in c/t from hydro.i want to quit smoking too but one at a time for me.if i quit smoking too i would probably have a nervous breakdown.when or if i quit smoking i will do the patch thing and ween myself.i dont ever want nicotine w/d like that again.good luck Bruce
I was a 30 to 40 cig a day smoker for 25 years. Played a game with myself. Every time I smoked a cig I made myself make a mark on the pack (in sets of 5) and you get to where you think twice about having to make another mark! AND, in the beginning when you first "want" that cig...make yourself wait 5 minutes. Slowly increase that waiting time to 10, then 15...etc.....Like after you finish eating....do the dishes first and only then allow yourself to sit down and enjoy the cig. Never do anything else while smoking. Concentrate on every puff! And the best thing I did was if I smoked 22 today...I could smoke 22 the next and the next....but once I went to 21 I could not go over that 21 etc.....til I got down to 8 a day. This amount kept me from being a raging *****. Figured this is what my body really needed and not the extras for the habit part. Lastly, I went on a cruise. Where I was totally out of my element. No phone, no computer, no driving...and I've been smoke free for almost 5 years without major c/t type withdrawal.