Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
W/D

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

W/D

I switched doctors due to my former one retiring and was used to taking (1 - 2) 5 mg/vicoden a day for my back during the past 3 years as I'm NOT up for steriod treatments and/or back surgery.  I saw my new dr. a couple of times and currently get massages and some chiropractic relief (and tried expensive accupuncture as an alternative) for my back & headaches as well.  Imagine my surprise when I called for a vicoden prescription refill (I've had one so far from this office) and his nurse spoke to me like I was a hard core addict and gruffly announded that "vicoden is inappropriate for muscular skeletal pain" ...!  While it would be optimal to free myself of being on ANYTHING, I felt like the dr. and she didn't have a real grip on my medical history (even getting an antibiotic for a past sinus condition was a problem).    She then asked me to come in again to talk w/ the Dr.  These office chats are starting to feel like a quick & easy $$$ office visits for this guy.  I'm pretty disgusted so I simply took things back into my own hands and am trying to use only ibuprofen although I do feel very depressed, no GI symptoms, but also feel cold.  Wonder of wonders though, my back feels better and the headaches aren't as bad!  How long til I feel like myself again?    
  • W/D (2 replies):
    I switched doctors due to my former one retiring and was...[more]
I think a week and you will be phsyically much better. The mind will follow. I'm glad you're getting clean .  My doc  got lots of my $$$ too. He knew what was going on. and on and on
I know exactly how you feel. My pcp was prescribing me Hydrocodone/APAP, and he tried me on Morphine Sulfate and Oxycodone (herniated lumbar disk, scoliosis, degenerative changes in spine - I'm 27).
Every time I would call the nurse's office to ask a question or get a refill, she would be extremely rude and treat me like an addict.
Finally, one day, she told me that the dr no longer wanted to treat my pain because he "didn't know what to do anymore" and could no longer "handle it", whatever that means. So I started to go to my orthopedist about it. They don't return calls in a timely manner at all.
I feel like drs just want your co-payment and that's it...no one in the medical profession really wants to help you, it seems.
My ortho has me on 50mg of Lyrica daily now, but my Hydrocodone script has run out early (due to the fact that I have had to increase my dosage to three pills every six hours instead of two due to tolerance). I have been going through wds for a week now...I am wondering if it will ever end...and I am scared now to even take anything. I don't know what to do anymore.
So, I am right there with you. I'm here if you need someone to talk to...