Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
WENT TO AN ADDICTION SPECIALIST TODAY

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

WENT TO AN ADDICTION SPECIALIST TODAY

I went to an addiction specialist today.  I am 6 days clean.  He wants me to start Sub and to do an outpatient program and also two days a week one on one sessions with him.  Do I need the Sub since I am 6 days clean.  The problem is I can get clean but not stay clean for any amount of time.  He said the sub will help keep me from using.  He said he has patients that have been on it for 2 years and some that only stay on it a few months.  Please give me advice.
I was just shutting comp off and saw this post. You little bugger, you used again. You need this outpatient and the addiction specialist, you don't want my opinion on the sub here, lol. Maybe you need inpatient girl cause this cycle is just not stopping for you. All i can say is I relapsed countless times and just could not get it right no matter how hard i tried until i dove deep into my recovery and learned tools to stay clean. What is causing you to keep going back? Be honest, it's more than just cravings. You have to figure this out. How bad do you really want this?
Sub is not for everybody, but it is for those who have tried and can't seem to stay straight. Just make sure that you get counseling along with it. Good luck to you.
OMG, i am so happy to here this.  i the sub is a personal choice, but your habit is not that much...for you it is more than the i want a pill type craving...you need to deal with the problems not swap addictions.  i would think inpatient therapy would be better for you than sub.  BUT committing to outpatient therapy and sessions with him is a HUGE start.  you have to follow through with this girl.  you know where to find me!!!
........ i am sorry that you are clean and your doctor wants to put you back on a long acting very addicting drug, thats criminal to me but this is becoming the norm
you are six days clean, why go back? i suggest you see a new doctor.....or find a new way to live and give up on a medical cure for your disease

"""Most of us realised that in our addiction we were slowly committing suicide, but addiction is such a cunning enemy of life that we had lost the power to do anything about it. Many of us ended up in jail, or sought help through medicine, religion, and psychiatry. None of these methods was sufficient for us. Our disease always resurfaced or continued to progress until in desperation, we sought help from each other in Narcotics Anonymous.""

pay attention to the "sought help through medicine"

most people in na have spent years in therapy, decades on matinence drugs and many sundays asking god for help
what we as a community have found, it that these methods alone are not much help

if you have to try the sub. i will understand

because you are and addict and its almost impossible for a newcomer 6 days clean to say no to their doctor offering them a drug as powerful as sub

hell i did, i tried sub., methadone, revia
gota do what you gota do

man, i had to have oral surgery my first month clean, and i brought 2 recovering addicts with me, so i would not allow the doctor to give me the narcotics
then when i was almost 4yrs clean i went through chemo, but your not going through chemo, you do not need narcs! you can do this, what ever has happened in the past is in the past, this is a new start for you

i am sorry to hear about your relaspe, it happens and sometimes can be a blessing, it lets us know we havent done enough to stay clean, i have relasped and i bet everyone on this forum has done the same, does that mean we all need suboxone? do not give up on yourself!

"""a relapse may be the jarring experience
that brings about a more rigorous application of the program"""

you can do this, why dont you find someone like me, and take them into your doctors office next time you see him...lol
I hope that didn't sound bad what i said. You know I am routing for you and this is a great start. I just know how frustrating it is to mess things up, but your on the right track now. You can do this.
Im confused...Is sub just for withdrawing or is it for maintenence too.
sub id used for w/ds and is a mantence drug.
well some say it is for wd, but the sub docs tell you to be opiate free for atlease 72 hours before you dose
so this has never really rang true to my ears, except it sounds like a good sales add
oh, madsmom, i should have sent you that on my last email, after you told me you were 6 days clean, with a miminal habit and offered sub, it sparked a repressed memory

when i was a couple yrs clean, i was having a session with my shrink, who i actual respect, i told her that i was having cravings (i was really sick at the time) well after a couple yrs clean this doctor actually suggested i go on suboxone,
poor doctor did not know i had just quit working on a detox unit because the facility was handing out suboxone like there was no hope in recovery,
yeah, she got an ear full that day, and appoligized, she had no clue because she had never talked to a patient who had come off it, i still see her, all my doctors know that i have to be very sick to accept narcotics, sometimes you just got to be like that with medical professionals
If it were not for sub, I would be dead!  I could never stay sober once clean.
Hopefully by now you know what your pattern is for relapse, and thats the place you need the most help in. Seeing the patterns before you pick up, and having the ability to ask for help.I believe out patient therapy with a 12 step recovery program will help you get through your desires to use that until now you've not been able to resist. If I was drug free for 1 day I surley would not put another one in my body. What you have is Spiritual Mental and Emotional all three have to be treated.You have my best wishes and deepest prayers to stay clean
i am not saying sub does not have its place.  madisonjsmom is a good friend of mine and i know her habit is small....and i dont think she needs sub,  she needs to deal with some issues and learn some tools to help her with living clean.

i am so glad that sub worked for you....are you sill taking the sub??
Just to let everyone know that the higest dose that i ever took in one day is 7 of the 5mg percocet which would be 35 mg a day, thats why I am not sure about taking the sub.  I read in the health pages that sub is equivalant to 50mg of morphine. I have not taken anything in 6 days.
Here is my 2 cents worth.  Go to the out patient counseling and try that before you go on sub.  Find out what makes you keep going back to the pills and then use the tools you are given.  You have the key that will unlock those chains!!!  You can do this!!!!   sara
And Congrats on 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG plz do not get on Sub.... You think you have a prob with perc's? Girl your goin into a whole nother level of hell. I could see doin sub's MAYBE if you were waking up with needle's in your arm or crushing oxy 80's all day or even kicking meth. Something;s you could die from. Your not even at a real danger point with the amount of asprin intake from the perc's when you were using. I would definatly try all other methods, na and aa meetings, nutritionist or trainer ect. before getting any meds for treatment.Congrat's on your 6 days you need something now to fill that void. I do NOT think that subs is the cure in YOUR case. Plz just research as much as u can and have faith in yourself. You can do it.   best of luck ......   Craig
I agree, don't start the sub. Its pointless...once you are on the sub, all it will do is keep you from using the percs again, MAYBE. The few times I did a sub treatment, if I wanted to go get an oxy, I would just not take my sub that morning...it was ridicules. If you stay on the sub and don't relapse, then that is great, but you are still putting an opiate into your system and as of right now, you are clean. So by starting sub, you are only getting yourself addicted to a different opiate. That is why it baffles me when people say they are clean, they are not "clean". Yes, they are no taking their DOC and that is great, but if they were to take a drug test they would fail. You are clean when you can wake up, everyday for a week and not have to take anything at all. That is where you want to be. Now, if you find that you keep relapsing, then keep up with counseling, go to meetings get a sponser, so whatever necessary to remain drug free. that is what I would do.
I agree dont get on the sub. I would take no more than 5mg at a time and do it 8times a day. We are lucky compared to some b/c our dosage was low. I can/could still get high for 2 hours off of 5mg after years of use. I only thought of sub the very first time I went through this. I am now 6 days clean and day 7 starts at 5pm. Just keep posting here and remember to appreciate the little things. Stay away from triggers, I know with pills triggers are hard to guage. Mine is sitting in the house and playing games or doing nothing. Everytime I get a craving I get in my car put a cd in and ride around or post here. I also workout and that seems to help. You can do this say no to the sub, I have only read horror stories about the addiction to that.
lisa, i agree with you that sub is putting more drugs in your body, BUT  you will not fail a standard opiate test for sub...i tested jen the entire time she was on the sub and she never failed a test...not sure why, so i asked the dr and he told me that it was a partial opiate, but had an ingrediant to block the opiate from your system...dont understand it all, but i do know you will pass a drug test.   so does that mean you are clean??
I have to agree - dont start the sub.. Start some agressive therapy to figure out why you use, triggers and how to deal with cravings.. yes sub may alleviate cravings (for some but many people have reported using while taking sub) - however those cravings, the reasons why you want to use, will only return when stop using the sub.. its basically prolonging the inevitable process of dealing with your addiction and seeking support - I found that out the hard way...  Not to mention a detox from he11 for many..

this is such a mental game.  you CAN stay clean-you just have to really give it all you got.  believe in yourself, love yourself and heal.  
I dunno if all would pass a drug test on sub?... maybe it depends on how much sub one would be on. Ive heard of some people testing positive for opiate's whom consume a poppy seed bagel lol. Regardless of the test's, you know and even the doc said its partial opiate. Seems it could be a lil risky if alot was riding on that test. I would hope that an addict wouldnt try to switch to subs just to pass a test. If they did pass i wouldnt say they were clean, but thats just me. what i do know is madisonjsmom is 6 days clean of percs.and not on any subs weeeeeeeeeee   :)   roll on girl .... Craig
I think it depends on where you go, my dr would test me and I would come up positive for it, he wanted to make sure I was taking it properly. Maybe it was a different test. But my point is the same. While you are not abusing or taking your previous DOC, you are still phyically dependant on an opiate, be it partial or not. That is why when it the worst of w.d, you take sub and it goes away instantly. It depends on how you look at it I guess. I myself, don't consider someone fully "clean" while on it. Not that I mean that in a bad way, just my own perception of clean is not having to take anything to funtion. But that is me..
THERE IS A SPECIFIC TEST FOR SUB...THE DR GAVE IT TO JEN WHEN SHE WENT IN.  BUT ON A STANDARD DRUG SCREEN IT DOES NOT SHOW UP.  i agree with you...when on sub you are still putting drugs in your system...
Yes the sub is not going to keep you clean you have to keep you clean and honestly therapy and meetings are going to be a lot more helpful at long term sobriety and a pill ever will be. Then at some point you have to get off the sub that would will not be easy and then you have to learn to live without taking a pill .I would skip right over that part .
Your gonna make it this time. The outpatient and addiction counsellor will do you wonders. You also have us and me bitchin at ya, lol. Congrats on a week again:)
You have come this far. 6 days is great the wds are almost over. if you take sub you are eventually going to have to withdraw from that.  And from what I have read on this site it doesn't sound easy.  I would try some sort of therapy to figure out why you keep relapsing before you start another drug that is supposed to get you off the first drug which after 6 days you are almost home free from wds.  Just go for therapy or na or if there is some other group out there for addicts.  I just think if you start subs now when it comes time to stop the sub you will be kicking yourself in the butt for using subs.  I know they are a life saver for some but 6 days clean is awesome.  Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight
I have to agree with the majority of opinions here. Try the counseling and therapy before you start the subs. You may always opt for sub therapy at a later date if you really need to - - but, as mtgoat observed, there seems to be a huge groundswell among medical professionals to just put someone that presents as you do on suboxone. 30-40 years ago those same Docs would have shuffled you straight to methadone maintenance. I  quit a heck of a lot larger dose of hydros than you are on...... and I have since learned a lot about myself - some oif which I am not certain I wanted to know - - but its all been important. You can get this done - - we believe in you - - good luck whatever your decision is .... and you better stick with this forum ..... its good support.....
Sweetie:
I agree that you can do this.  I would also suggest an inpatient rehab.  I remember that your hubby and family were supportive of this in the past.  Would they consider giving you that opportunity again?  I also agree with Gizzy that there is a reason that you keep relapsing.  You have to find out what that reason or reasons are so that you can get clean for good.  Sometimes we use to deal with stress in our life or cover up past hurts.  I'm not saying that's it for you, but just know for so many that's why we end up here.  Please see about inpatient rehab because I think that will be the best thing for you since you do not use enough and you've had so many clean days in between.  

Either way, you know I will respect your decision.  I just want you to be happy and clean!  I love you doll!  So however you choose to do this, i.e., inpatient or sub or therapy - I'm here rooting for you!  

You and your sweet family are WORTH it!  I love you a ton!  As always, you are in my prayers! Remember - you are a daughter of God and he's rooting for you too!  :)

Hugs,
Janet
Well...the counselor has my family convinced that sub is the miracle drug. They made an appointment for me to see the sub doctor on Monday....ummm  He might be in for a rude awaking..lol  He probally has no idea how much I have learned about sub on Medhelp.  My family has no idea what sub is or how it works.  My husband went to the sub website and got all of his information.  The counselor told my husband that the only people who have problems with sub are the ones who abuse it.  He also said that comming off of sub is just like comming off a antidepressant.  Maybe I will let the doctor read some posts from Medhelp.  I will go to the sub doctor on Monday and see what he has to say, but I will make the final decision wheather to take it.  Thank you so much everyone for your advice.
Bring your laptop with you to the appointment and we can make a post for him, haha. Proud of you for doing this now, this is it:)
Remember to remind the good Doc that heroin was supposed to cure morphine addiction, and that methadone was supposed to cure heroin addiction. And that both modalities of treatment were greeted with more enthusiasm than sub is currently receiving. It is no more of a wonder drug than the first two. Works for some. Causes problems for others. Dont make this a snap decision. You are doing your homework and reading ....... keep it up!
Keep in mind they make money with this as well. I find it hard to beleive that he cares more about you then Gizz, Eagle, the Admins , me ect. and were not making a dime. If you cant take laptop like giz said maybe print some of the stories others have went through. And ask them if it fails or better yet if your not atleast a slight better then u are now after this treatment will they give you your money back? .... sorry if i sound sarcastic im not well right now and a lil emotional. Im not hip with the drug pushing docs at the moment . But i am here for my fellow sufferers' I want only wants best for you and us. Very good luck and plz keep us posted ..... Craig
you need to take me with you, not your family!!
yeah!
I'll go with you.
I'll tell him what he needs to hear.
He doesn't want you clean.
If you are clean you won't come to him anymore.
That isn't good business is it?
Joshua From Oregon
This is your decision if you don't want to go on sub .I suggest you don't go to the appt .I think if you go they will talk you into it .How much were you taking daily and what mg .I think its crazy that with you already have a week clean they are trying to put you on something
I was taking 7 of the 5mg percocet a day, I never took anymore than that.  And by the time I see this doctor on Monday I will be 10 days clean.  The counselor said that I need to take it because I keep getting clean and than using again, and he said the sub will stop me from doing that.  I dont see it that way.  I said to him....then ok if I am on sub and someone puts 5 percocet in front of me than I will not take them and he said no. I dont agree with that, maybe I am wrong, though.
10 days.
Man you are out of the woods by that point.
You fight will be mental at that point.
Sub will just cover up the problem.
You can do a quick search about sub online and you can read the stories.
If you think coming off 35mg of perc is bad.
Try coming off sub, when you have been on it for a year.
I have never done it, but I heard it ***** bad. really bad.
They are going to tell you what they want you to do...not necessarily what you should do.
I agree with everyone.
Doctors are devils who want your money.
You don't need it.
You need to talk to people like us everyday.
Joshua From Oregon
PLZ dont go on sub after 10 days clean from 35 mg a day.I cant believe they are even suggesting it .I understand that you have relapsed many times but you have not been getting any recovery care.Therapy, meetings .Sub won't keep you from using you will keep you from using .I so dont want you to go to this doctor I know normally I am very neutral but I just cant be this time this is going to end up harming you so much more then helping you .
I feel really uncomfortable with this sub thing.  It is just a gut feeling that I have about the entire thing.  I have felt really good today.  Starting to see things more clearly and not in such a fog.  This time has really scared me.  My husband let everyone in my family know what was going on with me as far as using.  My dad even came to my house yesterday with my husband unexpected and he started crying.  I really didnt know my dad cared so much.  Maybe this time will be different with my extended family support, and my husband is not letting me out of the counseling.  We have an appointment together on Monday.  He has been seeing this counselor for a month now to learn how to deal with everything and I did not even know he was going to him.
I  have always found that I should listen to gut instinct. I really agree with everyone and thats all I will add to that.

And you have a great husband and family. I would think with some clean time and counseling with NA/AA and medhelp and your family behind you - you should be able to make it. The sub will always be there immediately if you cant stay clean again. At least print some of the sub literature - pro's and con's - and let your Dad and Husband see them before your appointment. You dont need to be pressured into a sub program. Particularly by family that thinks its in your best interest, even though they know nothing about it. Tell the counselor to give you a chance. And good luck to you.........you know we want to hear from you whatever you decide.
You could also print off the experiences in the "health pages" about sub so they can read them ..
Follow your gut on this one.  Get to know you and use the tools you will learn to stay clean.........without the sub!!!
I think that is what i am afarid of is "getting to know me".  It is time though...I need to face the music and learn to start dancing.  It's time....I can just feel it.
It just gauls me to see people on here saying you're 6 days out, you're so near, you're almost there, you don't need this, or that, or another. You know, quitting these things is easy, I've done it at least a hundred times now. The real problem I have is when people take their time to go to an addictionologist, a doctor who specializes in this stuff, and then goes into a room full of people with possible 10 college level health classes between us and decided here to make a decision to change their lives. We are here to give help and understanding, not to jive, disagree, or blatantly tell someone their doctor's advice was wrong (I'm sorry, for your type of cancer which my great aunt had..I wouldn't do the radiation and chemo. What that doctor is doing is criminal). We have a medical doctor community who answers such questions like these with medical facts, not innuendo and second hand gossip. This is a PERSONAL choice between this lady and her doctor. Scaring here with horror stories, or deluging here with your armchair medical license will not help. Provide her with documented facts if you have them, encourage her with all you have, but please leave the doctor-patient privileged where lit lies...between the doctor and patient.
You will like who you are!!!!  We all know what a great person you are.  Its time for you to see it too.
well madsmom we dont know anything about sub but we wish you well and gods speed to get on the right road the road to RECOVERY wishing you well soon for you and your family the very best of luck to you   always thinking of you  J & K

"The Addiction Communities" are comprised of addicts in many stages of detox and recovery. We are from various ethnicities, countries, beliefs, and backgrounds. We ask that you be courteous and respectful of all of our members.

Sry it gauls you. Im sure you have your reasons? This however is NOT, nor do we claim to be the MEDICAL DOCTOR COMMUNITY. There's a section in this site if one choose's to go there. But she came HERE and ASKED US for advise. With addicts come horror stories. 6 or 10 days clean is a milestone for some of us. I personally just want whats best for her, you and everyone else. If there's something you can add to HELP her and us understand more about recovery plz do share. But to be told were more or less a non educated ya-hoo  armchair whatcha-ma-callits isnt helping?  Now i have to worry about Gauling people if i try to help? Im sorry i guess. Ill look for my privileged spots and start acting like the non addicted upstanding pupil im not..... Craig
I am sorry but I would have to question any doctor that would consider putting a patient on long term sub maintenance for a 35mg habit a day .
Hon. I don't know much about Sub but my gut says it's not a good idea. It will only postpone the inevitable. I've relapsed over a dozen times and I am still sorting alot out.It takes months to really start to feel better mentally. To feel like there is not something missing every single day. You really have to take a leap of faith and believe that the same will happen to you as has happened to everyone who made it long enough to find out. It's a hard stretch of time that goes slow and is full of tempting thoughts and cravings but you will get stronger the more you fight it. Think of it as a garden. If you water the flowers they grow strong and beautiful....but if you water the weeds they will eventually overpower the flowers. You have to stop watering the weeds and you will bloom:o) I'm here for you no matter what. GBU, Corey
You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!
Yes man!

We are just giving some friendly advice.
Subox for 35 mg a day?
Come on.
If the devil ever walked the earth, he would wear a white jacket.

Joshua FRom Oregon
Hello!!
   I see that this has been a VERY popular post.  You may read this, then again you may not - since there are so many here again of me. But I'll take the chance.
   Sweetie, I was on one thing after another for over 8 years - first vicodin, then percocet, I took eight at a time, 5mgs. I believe. Even after several years of that behavior I was fortunate that I could put it aside without any physical problems. But I blew out my back and I was put on morphine and oxycotin. The past 6+ years it was 180mg. of oxy a day.
   I went into detox this past August. They gave me suboxone. I was completely out of it for nearly a week ... I just slept. If they told me what I was taking, then I have no memory of it whatsoever. When I found out I was confused as to why they would use narcotics to get someone off narcotics. I had no clue how everything worked. It wasn't a good place ... but I didn't pick it.  I came home after eight days and became very sick - I was continuing to detox ... but I didn't understand that.
   Long story short, I checked into another detox place and they put me back to sub.  I stayed with it because of my back .... the Doc's made it sound like it wasn't a bad drug at all. After five months or so, I found this site and read up about sub.  That's when I decided to wean myself down and get off the stuff.  That was eight days ago.
   Madison, if I had only known!!  Kicking oxy was simple compared to this lousey garbage!! It is HELL ... and I would literally NEVER touch this stuff again. The Doc's I've seen speak about sub as though it's better for you (and for pain) than the other narcotic's ... they also told me that getting off of it was, I quote:  "no worse than a mild case of the flu.."  OH HOW WRONG!!!  The pharmacutical company(s) are giving them incorrect, partial or aschewed information... but that IS what they do afterall. Most of us wouldn't take half the poisons they are rushing through drug trials (as well as) padding wallets somewhere in order to get their garbage to the market a.s.a.p.!!
   I pray that you can resist any pressure to put you on another narcotic - no matter how they tell you that it's 'different' than others. Yeah, it's different ... it is nothing short of sheer torture to come off of it!! Best not to start in the first place! ... All the above posts are excellent ... the people here are the BEST!  They know what they are talking about .. trust them!  But, as always, in the end, the CHOICE is yours.  I hope and pray that will so much support here, you will make the best choice!  I figured out WHY I wanted to use drugs to 'escape' living, using my pain as an excuse. We all have to hold ourselves accountable at some point -- and reach deep down to find our own separate reasons for why we do what we do.

God Bless Sweetie ... Hang tough & don't give in!! Lot's of Hugs!!
WonderWhat ... I think you made wonderfully valid points ... afterall, what else are we here for??  What good would we be doing if we begain second guessing and censoring each thing we posted here ... Thanks for your spot-on comments!

Intothedark ... Devil in a white coat! Absolutely perfect ... atleast regarding my experiences. Thanks for YOUR post .. and for making me laugh outloud for the first time in a week!  

Thanks, ever so much to you both~~
I did read your post...I will read everyone that comes across, and I do appreciate all of your advice as well as everyone that has taken the time to help me.  Thank you and what you have said does make a lot sense.  I am going to see this doctor on Monday...that doesnt mean that I will take the sub...I am curious what he has to say and I have a lot of questions for him.too.  I will post on here as soon as I get home to let everyone know my decision.  Thank you ALL again.
giving you the heads up, since you are new to the site, research the people you take serious, read a few of their post, bio. and the doctors usually have links to their practice so you can learn more about them, read them!!!

when i was on suboxone i thought it was the best thing until it took me down and i went through sub wd
perceptions change when we are on the other side of something, does not mean anyone on this forum  is a bad person, or that the others are bad people, we are just at different stages of recovery, with  a little research things will make sense
if you need more experience with people who have been on sub. and have detoxed successfully OFF the drug
goto opiatedetoxrecovery.com, there is an entire section, just for this drug, only people who have experiece with it are allowed to post, its a good RECOVERY site

you are playing with fire going to that appointment,
like i said, i do the intake for a detox, (plus more) i have watched patients go from being totally willing to get %100 clean, and then meet with our doctor (just one of them,not the others) and next thing you know, i am literally giving them a suboxone pill

as far as suboxone being related to chemo, i can honestly say i have been through suboxone treatment and chemo, i have a hard time finding a connection to the two
but everyone here has a right to an opinion, and everyone here has a right to respond
Thank you for the information...I will do some more reading tonight on the sub.  So..are you saying that if I go to the appointment to only get information about the sub and discuss it with the doctor that he could possibly talk me into taking the sub?
i am not mtgoat..lol..but i am gonna give ya my opinion on that question anyway...of course they are going to do their best to make it look like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  he will try to convince you the ppl with bad experiences didnt follow the instructions for getting off the sub...thats what they do and they are good at it...kinda like a used car salesman...lol
That is totally my concern is he is going to talk you into taking them .They will tell you all of the positives and how if you taper you will have mild wd ect ect and people with negative stories most have not done it properly.Many have been told this and found out the hard way it did not always work that way .I am very afraid between the pressure from the doctor and your family that you are going to walk out of there on them or with a script I really hope that's not what happens
Regardless of what dose she was on, she has successfully quit on her own only to return back over and over.  She has had the supportive husband/family with her each and every time and STILL goes back.  I have seen many times on this site "if nothing changes, nothing changes".  How true?  No doubt the counseling and one on one will be a HUGE help, but we all remember what fog our brains were in when we were 7, 10 and even 20 days sober......not what it is months from that point.
I have quit twice CT off of opiates, and the last time had to go to detox.  Yes, I am on sub.  No it isn't a miracle drug.  If you really want to get clean, you use it as a stepping stone when you can't otherwise make that step on your own.  What it doesn't do for you is the recovery.  That is YOUR responsibility.  That is why it is important to go to groups, meetings, and counseling....figure out WHY you do what you do.  Sub does not make me high, I have NO desire to use, I don't crave....the sub OR opiates.....I don't want to get high....and I don't abuse my sub.  I am dedicated to my recovery and go to 2 meetings a week, and an aftercare once a week.  THATs where the true healing takes place.  The sub allows me to do it with a clear mind.  I didn't have to wait 72 hours to take it, and I did have some withdrawl (withdrawal) when I started it.....but it was tolerable.  Absolutely NOTHING like going CT.  7, even 10 days is a huge accomplishment, but we all know thats just the physical part.  It seems Madisonjsmom is having difficulty once the emotional/psychological part hits her and thats when she returns.  I see no problem with taking a short course of sub to get you through that time.  Just as many on here are trying to talk her "out of" taking them, true that she may be swayed into trying it.  Regardless, it is her decision.
Just want you to know there are two sides to every coin.  But, don't go into this assuming Sub is a miracle drug  it isn't, as with any drug it has side effects and if stopped abruptly, can give you nasty withdrawl (withdrawal).  It won't be easy to face your demons, even with sub, but from my experience it does help.  You are doing the best thing you can, and that is talking about it, and sticking around even through the relapses.  We will support whatever decision you make.  But once you decide, commit to it 100%.
long post...maybe counseling would be enuf for u girl..that is a low dose to start sub...do what u gotta do tho...glad u r trying once again..sometimes things arent right in our lives..we quit the drugs but our lives r still not right..so we use again...take this time to get ur life straight and if u are happy with ur life..maybe u can stay clean..best of luck to u
I didnt read everyones posts on here but DO NOT get on the subuxone.  If you have 10 days clean its all mental at that point.  I was on methadone and went back to using heroin after completing the program.  Now Im on Subuxone.  I started at 12mg and worked my way down to 1mg.  All of those drops were tolerable but trying to go from 1 to 0 or even 1 to a 1/2mg has been a nightmare.  I havent been able to do it and dont know what to do.  Anytime I drop to 1/2 I wind up puking and feeling completely sick again.  Enough to the point where I want to use again.  If I were you I would stay FAR away from Subuxone.  Everyone pitches it as a wonder drug and it is but if you do your research (which I did too late) most people say its a lot harder to get off than methadone.  You should be looking into an opiate blocker similar to Naltrexone.  Im not sure of the addictive effects of the drug although I am not sure it has any.  Good luck.  
to wanttobefree from mtgoat911 who is free, ofcoarse i am on here to talk people into not taking drugs, that is my primary purpose here on this addictions forum
"""""Just as many on here are trying to talk her "out of" taking them, true that she may be swayed into trying it.""""

"""I am dedicated to my recovery and go to 2 meetings a week, and an aftercare once a week.  THATs where the true healing takes place.  The sub allows me to do it with a clear mind."""
ummmmmm????????a brain on opiates is a brain on opiates

WOW..I could not read through all the post..Look how many people here love and care about you...you are one of the sweetest girls i have ever met...I can't beleive a doctor would consider doing this to anyone, with that amount of DOC you take, or with the clean days you have...This makes me soooo mad...Listen, you already know that you need some kind of aftercare, some kind of counsouling with hubby, support from family...PLEASE try that , before sub....I hope you don't go to this appt...But i know the choice has to be yours..I am here whenever you need...
hugs my friend
r2r
sorry i have not been around, just have been so busy....PM me anytime!!
what happened? waiting for a report!
OK Yall...Loved,Loved,Loved this doctor...He is amazing!  No Sub for me...First I saw the nurse who evaluated me and got all my information.  She was confused as to why the counselor would send me there for sub because I was not in withdrawls and my habit was small..and my urine was clean.  She kept asking my husband and I is there anything else that I should know...she kept saying this is it?  You are here for a 35mg a day habit?  Anyway after that I saw the doctor...He asked me many questions...He spent an hour and fifteen minutes with us. He asked me about my background and how I started taking pain meds...I told him that I feel in love from the first one that I ever took. He asked me  if i was buying my pills off of the street, and i told him that I doctor shopped and got them from friends.  he said that is usually how it starts.  He said that he has to very careful who he prescribes them to, because he said you never know who is going to be addicted after that first pill.  He said that three in ten people who get their first perscription from a doctor become addicted to them. Gosh there were so many details that he went into as far as how the brain and neurotransmitors function while on them and then when comming off of them.  He said that sub was a very personal choice and he did not want me to make a decision today, in fact he said he wants me to wait until he sees me again in two weeks.  He said the only way that he would put me on sub is if there is no way that I can quit and that would be after going to aa or na meetings.  He said that is a must for me!  I asked him if we was to put me on sub, what mg would he start me at and he said 4mg once a day.  I kept asking him questions about the sub and he answerd them, then he said lets not even talk about the sub anymore right now.  He wanted to talk about depression.  He thinks that is why I self medicate and he sees it everyday he said it is so common.  He said that he has attorneys, judges, football players, college kids(mostly oxycotin), mothers, nurses, he said I would be amazed at the people who are on sub.  He has one patient who was shooting I think he said 4 bags of herion a day when she first came to him.  He said you would not believe the difference in her then and now.  He put her on sub, then she got a job, got her kids back, and is going to college to be a nurse....she was on the street when she came to him..He said sub does have its place for people like her and others, and it can change there life dramatically.  He also said that you do have withdrawls from sub and you have to be medically supervised while comming off of it.  Sorry I am all over the place here...I am just excited...Anyway the outcome is that he put me on an antideprassant and wants me to go to meetings and try it like that and he will see me back in 2 weeks.  He did say that if something happens from now and two weeks, if I relapse and need him to call and he would meet with me anytime.  He said he would think things differently if I was taking 30 pills a day and jumping out of windows to get my pills.  I told him that i have not jumped out of windows latley...lol  Sorry about all of the "He Saids".  I also want to thank all of yall for being here for me and supporting me, I love each and every one of you and I could not of made it this far without everyones help.  I will never leave med help, it is wonderful!  Another thing....my poor hubby...I feel so sorry for him.  I have put him through hell and he is so drained...I can see it on his face.  And on more thing this doctor is an Internal Medicine doctor, what does that mean?
i am so glad to see your update.  AND you sound so much better.  of course, you could have just taken my advice it was FREE...LOLOLOL...you know i love ya.
Good to know that your OK. You sound great.You can do this, I know that you can.Glad you didn't chose the Sub yet. Love, Corey
Wow awesome. I am glad that he thinks 35mg a day is a small habit b/c mine was only 40mg at 5 mg doses. Maybe its not going to be as tough as we think. I believe I am over the bulk of physicals just the mental battle now!
I am gald they seemed to be looking at your best interest not just making money .You can get so much postive out of this all you have to be is open to it and honest with yourself.
avis
Internal medicine is the branch of medicine concerned with the study of the physiology and pathology of the internal  organs and with the medical diagnosis and treatment of disorders of these organs.

I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you!!
Congrats on your clean time!!
Ohhhhhhh, yesss, this sounds the very right way and even the most intelligent way to do things for you, olĂ© for the doctor and  great for you :)

im really happy for you, it was so good reading this post and your explanations, you seem full of hope and strenght now. go for it, nena !
He sounds like a great doctor !  Although, I truly believe Sub has saved lives and has it's place in addiction recovery, I am glad you didn't go that route.  Your habit was small, but big or small addiction is difficult. It's your determination to get through this without sub that's impressive. Your doing all the right things, NA, counseling.  I just know your going to be a success story.   So happy for you !   Keep it up girl !
Hugs, Mary
so good to hear from you!!! sorry i am just now reading this, i was at the beach last week
happy to hear abotu this doctor, he is actually treating your addiction, depression and telling you to attend meetings, so wonderful
i am surprised he said that one of his patients got custody back on suboxone, the judge i went through told me that i could not be on sub., maybe its different where you live
congradulations on everything, let me know what you think about meetings, people usually love or hate their first meeting
Well I feel awful with a 80mg-100mg daily habit :-\ and reading all this horror about sub, makes me scared to use it now...dang it. >_<  I wonder if it would be ok SHORT term. My habit is about 200  10/325 Norco every 34 days. :(

PS so happy for you, Madison!
Hopeful---This is a really old thread you should start a new one if you have questions as there are many people who can give you answers. So go back to the forum and click on the button that says "Post A Question"
I went on sub hoping 2 to b on only temporarily after I'd been clean (4 cravings) and now wish the drs. Truly knew what they were doing. Instead of tapering they start such high dose w no plan 2 ever take ne off. I detoxed on My own it wAs pure hell! Just like coming off oxys & my shrink tried to tell me there wasn't any withdrawal from subs 16 mg a day down to 0 the next day. I almost jumped over her desk and strangled her stupid self!

Not sure where you all are, but in my state, a sub doc has to write the script.
He/she can only have 100 pt on the roll at once.  You can not get it from a doc who had not completed the addiction training.  Interested in hearing how it works for all you.
Back for one more opinion, when you go back in 2 weeks you will be through WD. Do not take the subs.  Now would be when you need them.  IF you get out of hell now, do not let them give you a one way ticket back.
So I have been on opana for about 8-9 months about 40-80 mil aday up the nose is it possible for me to go ct if I had a week or so before I have to go back to work. This drug is ruining my life I can't function properly if I don't have it within a hour or so after I get up. The anxiety and rls and no sleep kills me what can I do. I was two days clean and it's just so everywhere ppl calling me asking me if I need it. What do I do Jrockn502 please respond and let me know if anyone can give me any advice thanks
From a very personal experience, I can tell you very honestly that due to chronic female pain for 2 years, I was on 750 mg. of Vicodin.  After my surgery to relieve the pain, I was finding that I craved the Vicodin.  At the suggestion of a friend, I went to a doctor who "specialiizes" in opiate-dependency.  I was thrilled to have been given Suboxone (8mg/daily) initially.  After 3 years, my husband almost left me, I lost friends that I once had very close, fun relationtionships with, and cared about very little; although I did have energy.  After my husband shared his concerns, I decided that day to quit--cold turkey.  I am on day 10 and it's been hell.  I believe coming off the Vicoldin was much easier.  To anyone that is considering taking Suboxone, please think again.  It is a cop-out and a very, very addictive drug.  Weaning would not have been a choice for me; I would find it too easy to cheat and relapse.  I am d-o-n-e with it all.  I can't sleep at night, I'm unmotivated, have chills, am restless, etc.  It's hell on earth.  I will get through this though.  I only wonder how long it will take to "fully recover".  My biggest regret in life is ever getting on it.
im trying to get off subs and im down to a 1/4 a day but it still hard to get off. Can anyone tell me how hard it will be to get off a 1/4 a day?..I,ve been taking a 1/4 a day for more than a week.
Hi Gardav,you would do way better if you post a new question on the forum.This thread is over 3 years old.Idk why the above ppl are anwering her question as if it were yesterday.I don't have experience with subs.Sorry I cant help.Go to  med help and post a new question in the addiction forum and alot of people will be there to help you
Been off subtex seven days arfter nine years ov being on twelve mill deal down when do enagy cume bk  will it get better soon