Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
WHY? With a Fentanyl Patch do I feel??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

WHY? With a Fentanyl Patch do I feel??

Why with the Patch on do I feel like I am having W/D symptoms from my pain pills...Vicodin.  I took 2 yesterday I have had the Patch on Since Saturday.  No pain pills today.  Didn't bring them with me.  I wanted to see if this patch was really going to take aways some or all of the pain I am having.  I am having just as much pain, and feel horrible.. like wd symptoms  from the Vicodin.  The patch is 25mcg.  I have on my right side, right below my waist with a waterproof bandage on top of it.  I feel Zero effect from it.  I don't want to do both, Patch and Still have to take pills.  It's too much, so I wanted to experiment today and not take any pills..I don't think I will continue with this.  Andy advice is always appreciated.

Sonya
Hi, I don't recommend wearing the Fentenyl patch at all as I was an addict to it for 2 years and the withdrawal symptoms from coming off the patch is the most god awful experience I ever went through, and I consider myself a very strong person, physically and mentally but at the time I was getting off the patch I really considered suicide would be less painful.  If you can get yourself off all narcotic pain meds you'll be surprised at how your pain really isn't that bad (once you get them all out of your system)  I was a 5 year addict, now I'm clean for 2 years and I've probably taken 8 ibuprofen in the last 2 years for my neck pain.  When you take narcotics for pain your body actually thinks it's in more pain than it is so once you're off you should start to feel better.  Hope this helps - Terri
Sonya:

I have to say I had the same experience getting of the fentanyl patch which I was on for 2 years.  I was on 150mci fentanyl patch changed every 48 hours plus morphine sulfate.

It is also true narcotics can increase your pain levels over time.  If you can manage non-narcotic pain medications to allieviate your pain that would be great.

I would suggest an involved discussion with your doctor about options available and gaining a better understanding of what effective pain medications maybe available for you.   Some can not do with less pain killers in their life simply since they have too much pain to do it.   But it is good to know how much pain you are really dealing with at the same time.  It is a difficult balance to figure out.

I wish the best of luck to you & again, please have a discussion about your pain medications with your doctor.

Missing-Me
wow. 150 mcg. Your doctor gave you that for 2 years? It's a good product but only know when your pain is getting better. Taking another narcotic with fetanyl is very risky. Since you have fetanyl in your system, if you drink you will most like go to the hospital. It is 1000x stronger than morphine. Learn that the scripts that are written are usually for the day that I suggest you take them at night.