Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Want to quit smoking

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Want to quit smoking

From the time I was 16 years old, I smoked (lightly) up until I was 18 yrs old, when I got pregnant for my oldest son (who is now 15).
I started smoking when my oldest son was around a year old, smoking up until I got pregnant for my oldest daughter (then I was 20 yrs old).
I started smoking again when she was around 3 months old, then stopped again two MORE times when my two youngest were born!
Geez! lol.. I've been smoking 1 pack of cigarettes a day since my youngest was born (who is now almost 7 yrs old) and I've tried stopping THIS time, and it's VERY hard!
I really don't want medications, but are there any other alternatives out there? I know there's Smoker's Anonymous, but I haven't the ability to find a sitter long enough for it.. (the kids and I moved to Northern Ohio almost 2 years ago and there's really no one here other than my fiancee').
My mother was 54 yrs old when she passed away.. (she died from other reasons, not getting into that just yet) She had two open heart surgeries within 10 days, when she was 42 years old, suffering from Coronary Artery Disease and acute bronchitis. Within that 10 day period, her second surgery was more severe, a triple bypass!
My mother smoked 2-3 packs of non-filter cigarettes for many years, leaving her with moderate emphysema by the time she passed away.
I want to not only live to see my children grow up, but I also want to do so much more- see my grandchildren, watch THEM grow up, then perhaps more! I went to the academy to become a cop, but now at the University pursuing my bachelor's in Criminology.. want to definitely go far with that! Was considering law school AFTERWARD! My grandmother is a lawyer, my great aunts and uncles on my mother's side of the family are all attorneys, and everyone on my father's side of the family are into some type of law enforcement.. I want so much to carry that on..
Many goals in life, but trying to take baby steps here..
What has worked for you guys?
Thanks so much in advance for your responses!
Alli
go to whyquit.com  

I posted this the other day. not sure if you saw it or not. It has a lot of good stuff there. GOod luck to you!
Careful... you are going through w/d from the pills too! I know you want to do what is best for your health and the health of your family, but, try cutting back a little. Maybe make it a point to only smoke 15 per day. Then when that seems easy enough go to 12 then 10 and so on. I quit smoking year before last when I became pregnant and havn't started again. But, since quitting other things... I have to tell you that the cigarette case behind the cashier when I am paying for my cup of coffee looks awful inviting. Just tackle one at time sweetie, I would be more worried about you relapsing completely if you put yourself under too much stress...
Faithful
I quit smoking 10 years ago.  Smoked for 23 years, 2 packs/day.  You said you don't want to use any drugs, but, the nicotine patch literally saved my life.  The only problem you have when you wear that, well, there are 2 things....ONE...you cannot smoke while wearing it.  TWO...what to do with  your hands/mouth....I bought heavy duty straws, cut them in half, and chewed the h**l out of them everywhere...I had a pile near the computer, in my car, at work...they were the same size as a cig and worked great for me.  In fact, I chewed on straws for almost 6 months.  I didnt' care WHO made fun of me, as long as I didn't smoke.  
And Faithful...I don't know how long it's been since you quit, but I promise you the longer you are a non-smoker, those cigs will not be inviting behind the cashier.  You will no longer want one.  The craving does go away.  I promise.
I'm doing pretty good, now.. it's day 5 and I've never felt so alive! :D
I woke up around 1:30-2am this morning wide awake! :D.. felt pretty darn good!
thanks be to the graces of God I'm healed! LOL.. Love ya guys!
I quit smoking 11 yrs.a go.   I did stop during my pregnancies also. I know when i started up again before i quit for good i was back up to 1 1/2 pks. in a short time(like a week). It is hard...I just did it cold turkey when i found out i was pg the second time...i was nauseated, so it was pretty easy that time.  (Maybe you could get pg. again..)LOL  My mom died of lung CA, so I hope i quit in time...just keep trying...you'll get there.
good luck
I smoked 2 packs of Unfiltered Camels for 18 years straight. I quit cold turkey and have not had a cigarette in 27 years. If you really WANT TO QUIT just DO IT. Remember, you can't cut down and you can't have "just one". BTW I also went on a diet and lost 15 pounds in the first 2 months.  
I quit almost 6 months ago.  I smoked for 15 yrs.  And really I have no clue how I did it.  I just went c/t.  I mean I've had like 10 cig since then.  I did smoke more weed but even the weed is gone now.  I asked hubby the other day how can I quit smoking so easly but not pills and he said becasue I wanted to quit so bad.  And that makes since.  I hate to say this but quitting smoking was a piece of cake for me.  The first 3 days sucked, and we were going through some rough stuff at the time.  Today is day 8 no pills. Exept the xanax but the doc knows about that.  I haven't smoked a bowl in 2 weeks either.  You can do.  We all can.  Thanks to all of you for your support.  It means so much to me.