Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Was this a Stadol Overdose?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Was this a Stadol Overdose?

Last weekend my wife fell asleep on Friday at 8 pm. She did not wake up until Sunday at 8 am. I checked on her often, she was breathing so I figured she just needed the rest. When I went to bed on Saturday evening, her breathing was shallow, she kept twitching, she was very clammy (sweaty yet cold), and kept whining in her sleep. I really made me nervous. I couldn't sleep all night. When she woke up on Sunday she really didn't have a clue what happened. I didn't either. But I just got my statement from the pharmacy for tax purposes and found out my wife has been getting 6 bottle of Stadol NS per month. Yet she has not been going through our insurance to cover it. So almost $2000 in the last 4 months to Stadol. I was wondering why we have been short financially each month, this helps answer that. But what is really sad, is my wife had a Vicodin addiction many years ago and now I think it has moved to Stadol. Could he sleeping the whole day, be from an overdose or too much Stadol?

Sorry I went through the whole, being lied to, treated like crap and then 12 step with my wife last time. Also, if she had an addiction in the past, would she be more susceptible to it in now?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.
Hi, and welcome! I'm new here, but what you are describing does sound to me like she could have been on the brink of an overdose. Have you confronted her about this yet?
Hello.. sorry to say but yes she would be more prone to becoming addicted to another drug. trading addictions is very common amongst addicts. Your prescription bill tells of abuse and maybe Dr. shopping as I do not know of a reputable Dr. that would fill this that many times in a month. The secrecy is also a major red flag.. The sleeping does not sound like a od to me either but the shallow breathing and clammy skin is a worry along with the prolonged sleep.. I hope you speak to her soon as she could be in deeper then you realize.. I wish you both well. lesa
Thank you to those that replied. It's been tough trying to figure this out and go through, again.

Okay so here is the latest update. I confronted her with the bills and she was shocked I got this information. Then instantly replied with I am not taking it anymore so no need to pursue it more. Well I called the insurance and they stated they cover 4 bottle a month so I should be able to get reimbursed for more than just one. When I asked my wife to get the pharmacy to fax a claim for she go all up in arms and was really worried I would get the doctor involved. Red flags again... Then when I called the pharmacy, they stated I won't be covered because the date that they covered was for 4 bottles. She comes in 5 to 6 times a month to get 4 bottles each time. So she is going through 20 to 24 bottles of Stadal NS a month.

Now my next question. Should I be freakin out? This seems like a awful lot. I have been reading around and I keep reading 5 - 6 bottles was a lot. She has been going through over 20 a month for over 4 months that I can track.

I have talk to my church leader and seeing if he can help. But I am feeling pretty lost right now. Don't know if I can handle the whole rehab thing again...  
Your wife seems very sick with this addiction. It is a horrible disease that will plague her for the rest of her life, if she can't find it within herself to get better. Has she admitted to you that she is in trouble? Is she denying her addiction? The only thing i can tell you is you have to lay out the facts of how your feeling to her and the reality of what she is doing and hope it scares her clean. Talking to your church leader is a good idea for you:) Keep us posted.
As much as I hate to say this... there have to be consequences. If you bring this to her attention (the fact that you're aware of what's going on with her), unless you lay down the law and tell her what she's going to be losing if she doesn't stop using/abusing, then her behavior won't change as she's got nothing to lose.

My recovery was based in large part, in the beginning, on the fear of losing everything in my life (wife, house, cars, dogs, job, family, etc). After I got into recovery, I became more aware of what was going on and was able to make it more about ME, ME, ME, but in the beginning, I'm not sure I'd have done it had I not been "scared straight" and given an ultimatum.

Not sure what the rest of you think about that, but that's my experience.

LMNO
Yes, she is addicted and yes, that was an overdose.  A lot of people think the word "overdose" only applies if it's fatal.  It actually means that the person took too much medication and had adverse side effects because it was too much for the body to handle.  In your wife's case, she was in the early stages of pulmonary failure.  She was very lucky that you were there to check on her because she could have simply stopped at any time and died.  

Stadol is a synthetic opiod.  In overdose situations an injection of naloxone will reverse the effects.  If she pulls this again, don't hesitate to get her to an ER.

You've been through active addiction with your wife once already.  There is no doubt that she is addicted again now.  You're the only one who can decide if you can endure another round of detox and recovery care.  Nobody here will ever tell you that you're in the wrong for protecting your own health, wealth and happiness.  Listen to el_em_en_oh.  You busted your wife.  Her big secret is no longer a secret.  What are you going to do with that information now?  You've got the diagnosis.  Assuming she remains in denial and continues using, how do you plan to save yourself?
Yes...she's in trouble. That's a TON of Stadol. She could have easily slipped in to a coma last weekend. No one goes to sleep for an entire weekend and even as an addict I can't believe she's not mortified at that!

I'm sure she's pissed that you know about this. And she's not going to stop. But,I'll tell you what: If you call that pharmacy,you can shut her right down. Also,call the doctor you know of and tell him/her. This is serious to me. I used to binge as well and it's not pretty. She may not wake up the next time so put her on notice and tell her to get her *** to a meeting and to come clean with her doctor. Just shut her down!! Make her turn over all her stash and take charge. Then decide what to do for yourself...

Does she inject this or use the nasal spray?