Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Watched a JellyFish show last night.... HORIFFIC!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

This is only kinda relevant to drug addiction but I thought I'd tell ya about it....

We were watching this special on "Killer JellyFish" last night on the Discovery Channel.  These particular jellyfish were only about as long as my hand but here's the deal...  There were 2 divers who got stung by them.  There was a man and a woman.  They were both admitted to the hospital and there is no antidote for the jellyfish venom.  

They were both in absolute excrutiating pain.  Writhing around on the hospital bed unable to control their limbs because of the pain.  They were both on the maximum allowed amount of morphine and it wasn't even touching their pain.  You could see their pain in their eyes and it was kinda terrifying.  The male was out of the woods in 2-3 days and the females pain lasted at that level for 2 whole weeks.  

It made me realize that my back pain may not be as bad as I think sometimes.  I didn't know that someone could experience as much pain as I witnessed on that show last night.  It was awful seeing those people in the hospital in that bad of shape...  Guess what!  3 weeks later they were back in the water with the Jellyfish.  Now that shows me that ANY addiction can make us go back for more.  Not just opiates!  I thought how could someone go through that much pain and then get back in the water?  What idiots!

Then it dawned on me.... Ummmmmmmmm.....  I know the answer to that question cuz I do the same thing......

Trout
Great story. I love the Discovery Channel.

In the future, if you could post this sort of thing on the Community side, it would be helpful. You know how fast this forum goes at times, and so many posts get bumped. I just don't want to lose any posts from folks who are seeking help. Thanks a lot.

On a similar note, my Dad was stung by a Black Widow Spider. He had the same type of pain these people had for about 2 days. They were pumping him full of Dilaudid, and Fentanyl as often as they could..but, it did nothing. I think I can live with this back pain after seeing that.
IBK.....  As we say in N. New England.....  Shuaaaaa
I missed that one.  I am a discovery Channel Junkie.  I am watching the series on Mt. Everest, and when I see the struggles these guys have dealt with for 38 days!! no sleep, altitude sickness---which I know is the worst---The body pushed to the absolute maximum of it's ability is quite impressive.  Every time I feel cruddy I think about those guys on the mountain and I really does help.  There is actually a 70 year old man climbing the mountain and is currently and 23,000 ft.  Don't know if he makes it, but My God!!  I could only wish if i make it to that age.

Nauty..............
That show was ridiculous.  I think their main goal was to make us afraid to go into the ocean!!!