Weening from Ocxcodone
Hi:
I'm a healthy 50 year old male. I've completed a series of planned surgeries (5), on my knees and shoulders. The last two were shoulder and very painful. I ended up at slightly over 350 mg per day of Oxy (long term and short term).

I have an incredibly supportive Pain Dr, Surgeon and GP.  We've all decided it's time to ween me from all the opiod pain meds. Slow, slow is the word. I work full time and need to maintain my job ( it's my company! :)

Next week, we go from 355 to 310 mg, then down about 10% every week or two till I'm done. The thinking is this will take at least 6 months. I'm fully committed and totally sick of taking pills all the time.

I'm looking for a support group and some tips, input, anything to help me along this process. Cause, it's either this or I check into a rehab place and do it the hard way!

Any thoughts, word of wisdom are welcome!

Best,
hi and welcome to the forum!  this is a great site for support and info....just post when you have questions or need support....it's great your doctors are on board with you getting off the meds....that will help you tremendously....alot of us have done CT from the pain meds, myself included....it's tough but doable....but your doctors will get you there!  hang close to this forum and we can help you....congrats on wanting to stop the meds!  it's great to be free of them!  
i see you have been here before so welcome "back"....lol  
So you have been here before???Then you just keep checking back..You know people roll in and out...You also know we have some good tips to help out in the detox state...and the aftercare if needed...
Great Job..
vickie
Thanks -- before I had a quick question -- turned out to be nothing. This problem, is quite a big deal. I have to admit, I'm a little confused why they let you ramp up so high on the meds without a plan to get you back off them

Anyway, they way were doing it is every two or three weeks, I file a plan with my Pain Dr. Basically, its  a lower dosage with exactly hom many pills i take and when.  I hand it to my Dr, he hands me the prescriptions. If I miss, it's massive groveling to get catch up meds and not a given he'll do it, so best not to miss. To be fair, he gives me about 5% more pills than I need so i have a tiny bit of wiggle room to mess up for one day, but not more.

This way, I am the one making the commitment. I take it seriously and he supports it.

Thanks for the note of support! I go down tomorrow and looking forward to success, but not feeling tired :(

New let's see how tough i am!
FYI, I'm hoping to post on the days I lower the meds and for a day or so after. Words of support greatly appreciated .. And if I can help out in any other way, let me know
Andrew...check back and let us know how you made out. Sounds like you have a great plan in place and it's always good to have a supportive dr helping to guide you. Do you have any support at home? Anyone for you to lean on...to help keep you in check..or even if its just to gripe for a few minutes??
Hi Everyone:

Wanted to thank all of you who left comments of support and who read my post and thought positive things.

I met with my Dr last Monday AM. He is happy with my plan and set me up with meds to drop to 297.5mg per day for two weeks, then 265 mg per day for two weeks then I see him with a plan to drop further, slowly.

So far, I'm doing pretty good. I'm running a little behind, closer to 310 mg, and every day i get a little better and closer to the 297 mark. I know I'll get there because the alternative it taking too much, then running out and BAD BAD withdrawal. Forget that! My family and employees depend on me too much!

I gotta say though -- It's tough! I can't wait till I am down closer to 30mg or 40mg per day again. That's where they will probably leave me for a while. I know it's going to take 6 or more months. But as long as it goes in the right direction, my Dr will hang in there with me. So I figure I'd pretty darn lucky to have good Dr's.

If anyone needs encouragement feel free to reach out. I've been through a pretty tough set of surgeries and a lot of pain, yet i understand I'm lucky cause im getting better.

Any comments, good thoughts, helpful tips welcome. I really appreciate the support!!
Hi..It is so nice to have a good Dr...You come across on a very positive note compared to 5days ago..I am happy for you..Its got to be tough one with your pain issues..I wish you the best..You just hang tight and come back and share your experience with the next one that comes along with the same issue as you have..Does your DR have another way of dealing with some of your pain issues in the future.??
God Bless.. Hang tight it will get better..
vickie
Yea you're pretty lucky man you have a Dr's support because alot of Dr's just cut you off once they know that you're are addicted to the meds so between the Dr's support,the support from this site and your willingness to get off the meds I think you'll be alright Andrew and you definitely have my support,good luck.