Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Weight loss after methadone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Weight loss after methadone?

Greetings everyone,
      I've been on methadone for 5 and a half years. I tapered down from a high of 200mg. daily to 100mg. where I remain today. My weight shot up like an out of control freight train from a svelt 6'3 165 lbs. to 260lbs. a gain of 95 lbs. The taper down from 200mg methadone to 100mg did nothing for my weight. In fact, I believe I gained a few pounds while at 100mg. WTF? I was told by the staff at my clinic methadone does not cause weight gain. They repeated that line like a mantra as the weight piled on. My question is how low will my dose have to be before I lose some weight. I no longer believe a word the clinic says. I'm fat as a spring hog. I have always been slender no matter what I ate. Should I consider suboxone? Heartfelt thanks to each and everyone.
While I don't have any experience with methadone, I have read a few threads about it and most say they have gained weight while detoxing for I believe you don't have much of an appetite while taking it.....others say it is the choices of foods you are eating for they say they have cravings for sweets and fatty foods. So how is your diet are you eating right?  I am sorry I don't have personal experiennce with this me but It is early someone with more information will be along soon to give you more helpful feedback.
HI WELCOME to the forum the weight thing is a methadone thing for most people I went from 6'1 185 to 245 but I had a sweet tooth that was non stop
once I came off the stuff got down in the 60 s and below I lost my sweet tooth and the weight came off im at 180 now 2yrs after detox my advise is keep lowering your dose eventually the weight will start to come off and overall you will be much better off both physically and mentally off the crap I feel greaat thes days cant say I ever felt great on methadone it worth the struggle to get off good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
Hi Im new on here but Ive read alot of your comments.  I think that it is so awesome that you got off the methadone!  Ive been on it for almost 7 yrs and want off it so BAD!!  I started tapering in August from 80 mg and Im now on 22mg.  Ive also noticed that I dont have my sweet tooth anymore, and have lost 20 lbs.  Ive gained 30lbs since starting it almost 7 yrs ago.  I cant wait to be off this EVIL drug!!!!  Im going to keep tapering 2.5mg every week until Im off it.  Im doing it on my own, I told the Dr.  I wanted off it, but he doesnt think its a good idea.  So Im just doing on my own, and by reading all the comments on here.  Thanks and good luck!