Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What Is RLS Really??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What Is RLS Really??

Okay I would like to get this worked out in my mind. People are talking about RLS. I know what it means, But what is it really? and is there a difference between RLS and just deep ache pain in your upper legs and sometimes lower leg during detox?? I do not believe I have RLS. My legs just hurt. I do not have any trouble keeping them still, or wanting to move them. I just want them to stop hurting. It's like when you over due it at the gym. Well like that only deeper and more painful..

Thanks for all the input,

Lady
so much different as rls is a crazy nutty sensation to move whatever extremity you have it in and it is hard to explain but I can try to it feels like there are a thousand ants crawling on you and your hands and feet have so much energy in them they actually want to jump out of the skin. If you try to ignore it and go somplace in your mind diverting your attention it feels like your guts are being sqeezed in a clamp. The only relief is to get out of bed and move your legs and arms and sometimes that don't work. It is awful...
I really dont know medically what it really means...But i do know how it feels..I had it when i was pregnant, and it was almost as bad as when i was detoxing, but not for long..
For me, My legs, would jump by themselves, and they only relief for me was hot water, or a heating pad...The pain was terrible, yet kind of hard to explain...I also had it in my arms....It was by far my worst w/d symtom....
hope this helps some...
hugs
r2r
That's why they used to call it "kicking the habit" They hadn't made rls a diagniosis yet.  Something an old hippie might know. lol Corey
Thanks for asking this Q.  I too wondered what it really meant.   I don't have the desire to constantly move my legs or any other symtoms (symptoms) but my legs ache terribly.  Calves, thighs, knees..seems like the muscle hurt Plus I have a very heavy feeling in them while trying to relax in front of the TV.  So every 15-25 min I make it a point to just walk around the house for a spell.  Seems to help dull the ache.  Seems like the opposite would work, by just relaxing. This pain is only in the evening too, not in the morning.  I also have been getting leg cramps at night (not ever night).Interesting.

BTW..Today is day 9 of no pills for me...well..no narcotics at least.  
I had it terribly in my arms and legs.
It felt like aliens were under my skin and I just wanted to rip my legs and arms off.

For a month.

They make you realize how wonderful it is to sleep at night when it finally comes!

But.....
I too wonder WHAT they really are???
They are similar to the phenomena that occurs with parkinsons...the tremors..lack of dopamine perhaps suppressed during drug use, is the cause for many but can happen to many who never used
I often have wondered why we get Restless Leg syndrome too...I dont understand that one yet...I can understand the sneeqing , and yawning, because our body's are starting to wake up.....chills and sweats, i can understand too, but not that one.....
Goes to show u how much poison we put in our bodies..
hope u are doing well today
r2r