Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What about the pain?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What about the pain?

It's nice that so many want to get off their pain medication.  I would love to stop the insanity of addiction.  Going to rehab (again) is what I need.  I have to find a way to manage chronic pain with being an addict.  Is that possible?  I have read a lot on pain pumps although I'm not sure I am a candidate.  I have diagnosis and MRI backs up the diagnosis, so I know this isn't just in my head.  Pain is debilitating.  I know that if I don't want to hurt, I pretty much do nothing.  Stay in my bed and try to relax and stay calm.  This doesn't make much of a life.  Car rides are hell, cannot stand to cook a meal without taking many breaks.  Without medication I have to be extremely careful with activities.  I remember coming off opiates years ago and OMG I hurt everywhere.  That was complete hell.  I do not do that now.  Pain is usually in the same area.  I am so frustrated that I can't take medicine as prescribed.  I always end up short and then have to go completely without or pay $4 a pill.  My therapist says that if I can go 2 weeks without then I don't need pain medicine.  What she doesn't understand is those 2 weeks are miserable.  I spend a whole lot of time doing nothing.  I have accepted the fact that I have chronic pain.  I also accept the fact that medication is very helpful and necessary at times.  I cannot accept the addiction  piece.  I do not want to be addicted mentally anymore.  I have done things that I would never do sober.  My conscience has been lost in this sick game.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Please do not just reply about getting clean.  I need real answers and just because you get clean does not mean the pain stops.  Then what?
I feel for you. You came by these pills honestly as many of us do and now your body/brain are dependent and addicted. I have a family member that recently had a new procedure done with a mechanism that is inserted in your body that electrically (I think) stops her pain. It is a trial study from St Judes hospital. You may want to do a google search on it. I wish for you that you could detox and get clean 30 days to see what your pain level is. Two weeks is not enough time to gage as your still expierancing rebound pain at that time. Have you checked out the pain management forum of MH?
Currently I am spending some time away from my pain med to see if my wife and I can find any way around using. Because I won't take them as prescribed, for the last year she has been doling them out to me. Worked somewhat for awhile, but then I found where she had hidden them and took the 120 Oxy in less than a week. Because I had accustomed my body and mind to a way higher dose, the therapeutic dose would no longer either work as a pain med or satisfy my incessant craving. Screwed myself. Only thing I can see to do is get clean and try to find alternatives. We have left open the possibility of returning to using narcotics for my pain, but as a totally last resort.
I have two inlaws that use there pain meds as prescribed and they are on very high doses. They are amazing-they take them every six hours on the dot, and think no more about it-been doing fine for years. Boy I sure have trouble doing that, I fail miserably, because I like the high too.
I can't tell you what is best for you. Quality of life is a factor, and narcotic pain meds are extremely effective for pain. There are also very dangerous for addiction prone people like me. I am also doing research into alternatives while fighting this crummy detox and foggy thinking thing.
My last suggestion would be what I am trying to do. Get honest with myself.
Really try to do without the narcotics for at least a month, using the support of my pain management doctor, this forum, family, anything I can.
I am on day 9 clean now and have a ways to go. People here on this forum write post after post on how it gets better.
I am counting on it.
Don't give up.
Hi! I sure feel for you. This is a big issue around here. I would say that most of us on here deal with some serious pain which got us hooked too. For me a lot of my pain eased up a bit after I got off my meds. The meds knock down our natural pain transmitters. I have read on here for many months different things that people do use now for pain other then a addictive med. I know that my Hub gets three shots in his back do to 3 leaky herniated discs. It can get real expensive. It sounds like you did try to have them handed out to you. I do know how that goes. I could stiff them out like a Dog and find mine to when I tried to taper. I had to just go c/t. Maybe you could do a new post that ask how people deal with there pain without addictive meds. Then you will get a lot of input and I too will know even more. It sounds like you are very smart about what is going on. I sure wish you the best. It can be done but it is hard when we do deal with pain. But for me it is better to deal with a little pain then to be addicted and a Slave to these Drugs. I sure did get tired of the viscous cycle of it all. I can tell you want it because you are reaching out. So again I wish you the Best!
Bless